PDA

View Full Version : and so it begins (Sproule Signs Pre-Contract With Hibs)

Pages : [1] 2

flash
18-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Welcome back Ivan.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110518/sproule-returning-home_2262950_2362158

Thecat23
18-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Welcome back Ivan.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110518/sproule-returning-home_2262950_2362158

Not his biggest fan and can't say i'm over the moon at this, but welcome back Ivan all the best as you will need it.

Violater
18-05-2011, 09:14 AM
:not worth

FranckSuzy
18-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Welcome back Ivan.

Well IMHO, I think this is a piece of much-needed good news from Hibs. Welcome back Ivan :flag: At least he'll give us 100%.

LancashireHibby
18-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Not always convinced about re-signing old players and the like, but one thing Ivan can guarantee is excitement going forward and I'm sure we'll agree that that's something we're in dire need of.

easty
18-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm happy to see him back, but I hope this isnt the highlight of the transfer window for us.

Ivan can be an exicting player, no doubt, but we need a lot more talent throughout the squad to be added in the next couple of months.

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Will be good to see what he has learned since he left and if he is a better all round player!

Welcome home son!

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Will the first home game of the season be all ticket now?

PeeJay
18-05-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm prepared to give any player that signs for us a chance on the park, time will tell if it is a good move for all concerned, let's hope so - good luck to him!

Beefster
Welcome back, Ivan.

I hope this is just the start because on the wings is probably one of the areas of the squad that are least urgent in terms of strengthening.

matty_f
Delighted to see him back.:agree: Someone that really took to the club and the fans took to him.

He'll be a better player from his experiences, and he will bring much needed pace to the team and another attacking outlet. Considering Sodje is pretty quick we could finally have a speedy front line, which is a far cry from this season.

Will no doubt be singing about dreaming of a team of Ivan Sproules for the rest of the day now.:thumbsup:

Wonder why we're announcing it as a pre-contract rather than just a signing - is the transfer window not open yet?

essexhibee
18-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Welcome home Ivan.

Rangers will be ****ting it :greengrin

Westie1875
18-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Anyone know how long he is signing for?

H18sry
18-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Hibernian can confirm that Ivan Sproule has signed a pre-contract agreement with the club and the winger says he is delighted to be returning "home" to Easter Road next season.
Sproule recorded 94 appearances during his first spell with Hibernian and was a popular figure with the club's supporters before joining Bristol City in June 2007.
Now four years later the Northern Ireland internationalist admits he is elated at the prospect of returning to Hibernian and wearing the green and white next term.
Speaking exclusively to Hibernian TV, Sproule said: "There is nobody happier than me at the minute. I feel I'm returning in order to give something back to Hibs and that I'm coming home.
"I want to help this crop of young players to push on and achieve some great moments.
"The gaffer (Colin Calderwood) is building a side that can climb up the table again and hopefully my experience can help make sure that happens.
"I had a few opportunities to stay down in England, but I told my agent that this was the place I wanted to come back to.
"Coming back, I would say I'm a much stronger and wiser player than I was when I left four years ago.
"When I went to Bristol City, I felt it was the right move, although I was very disappointed to leave Hibs.
"I left a lot of good friends and good memories at the club. The fans were always great to me and, even when I was playing for Bristol City, I would get more fan mail from Hibs supporters than from Bristol City supporters."
Since his departure, Hibernian have introduced the Training Centre at East Mains and Sproule had one word to sum up his initial verdict on the facilities - mind-blowing.
He added: "The Training Centre is mind-blowing because when I was here before you'd have to get a taxi or a bus over to Musselburgh or other places to train.
"The facilities are brilliant and I can't wait to come back and train in pre-season."
Manager Colin Calderwood welcomed the arrival of Sproule and believes the winger will bring three attributes to the squad; pace, character and experience.
Calderwood said: "Ivan gives us a bit of what we were looking for in terms of genuine pace and personality plus he adds another experienced voice in the dressing room.
"The fact he has been at the club before means the settling in period will be quicker.
"Ivan was available was to come and expressed an interest in joining the club and, of course, we wanted to sign him, so that meant the agreement was reached smoothly and quickly.
"I've been impressed with his performances over the past few years down in England and I'm sure he'll prove to be an asset to the squad."

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2011, 09:27 AM
He certainly used to get me off my seat, if he can do that again he will be a decent signing.

Steve-O
18-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Great news :agree:

Mikey
18-05-2011, 09:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKXlgf37iFQ

smurf
18-05-2011, 09:34 AM
A good start. We need more. Much more.

"We all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules!"

LancashireHibby
18-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Was his hat trick really that long ago?!

The Gorf
18-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Welcome back Ivan.

I remember him running his wee cotton socks off but forgetting to pass.

I hope he still is the workhorse but maybe not so greedy with the ball this time round.

Welcome back Ivan:flag:

Baldy Foghorn
18-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Since 2010 he has started 2 games for Yeovil, and 5 for Notts County....

Was he even watched by CC or has IS agent just phoned up Rod, who have taken a punt on him? Whatever way I think this is a terrible decision to bring him back, and surely we should be setting our targets a bit higher than this?

Golden Bear
18-05-2011, 09:42 AM
A one legged Ivan will still have more pace than his new teammates.

:greengrin

matty_f
18-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Was he even watched by CC or has IS agent just phoned up Rod, who have taken a punt on him? Whatever way I think this is a terrible decision to bring him back, and surely we should be setting our targets a bit higher than this?

See above.:greengrin

Jamesie
18-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Have to agree with the latter comment. Rewind to when Sproule first signed for us and I don't think he was being touted as the saviour in the same manner the club is portraying him at present - that in itself is telling on where we are now compared to where we were then.

I very much doubt whether this will see fans racing to buy / renew season tickets.

Baldy Foghorn
18-05-2011, 09:48 AM
See above.:greengrin

Yes I was there that day, but still not getting my pants wet over his return

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Yes I was there that day, but still not getting my pants wet over his return

I knew that was coming Brockie. :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
18-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Welcome home, Ivan :flag:

Wilson
18-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Underwhelmed. Wasn't too disappointed when he left to be honest. I found him to be a really frustrating player.

I hope CC has his eye on some serious quality. Ivan might sell a few STs on the back of his hat-trick against Rangers but he doesn't have the quality to take us up the table.

MyJo
18-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Cheer up you bunch of miserable sods :na na:

We've signed an experienced player with a bit of pace who loves the club almost as much as we do before the transfer window has even opened and he automatically comes with at least two songs for the fans to sing :greengrin

all together now, he's here....he's there......:singing:

James70
18-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Welcome back Ivan, hope you haven't lost any of that fantastic pace!

marinello59
18-05-2011, 09:57 AM

We've signed an experienced player with a bit of pace who loves the club almost as much as we do before the transfer window has even opened and he automatically comes with at least two songs for the fans to sing :greengrin

That's the spirit. :thumbsup:
Number One is Ivan Sproule, Number two is...............:singing:

HibeeSince85
18-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Welcome home Ivan.

Glad your back.

The Sea-gull
18-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Good to have the wee man back but as someone said earlier I hope this isn't our "marquee" signing this summer.

Is it just me or is the response to him signing a bit more mixed and muted than it would of been had he signed in summer 2009 or 2010?

Probably down to a few factors chiefly the current low moral amoung the support, his age and a niggling concern that he won't be as good this time around, the fact that he is coming into our poorest squad in years and als the fact that it is not a surprise, has been rumoured for months and it doesnt appear we have had to beat off the competition to sign him.

Those who do get too excited should remember that first time round he had serious limitations, disiplinary problems and though good in flashes, never really became a regular starter for any significant lenght of time in his 2.5 years at ER.

On the up side, hope he is coming back a better all round player, with a maturer outlook that has curbed his disiplinary problems and lets face it, surely even an aging Sproule will imporve this squad.

Groathillgrump
18-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Agree with you wholeheartedly but let's hope he proves us both wrong. I'm not holding my breath though!

The Sea-gull
18-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Delighted to see him back.:agree: Someone that really took to the club and the fans took to him.

He'll be a better player from his experiences, and he will bring much needed pace to the team and another attacking outlet. Considering Sodje is pretty quick we could finally have a speedy front line, which is a far cry from this season.

Will no doubt be singing about dreaming of a team of Ivan Sproules for the rest of the day now.:thumbsup:

Wonder why we're announcing it as a pre-contract rather than just a signing - is the transfer window not open yet?

His contract probably doesn't start until 1st July or something so that Petrie doesn't have to pay him now for doing nowt for weeks.

Getting him on a pre ties things up and gives certainty for both parties meaning we won't lose him to anyone else but at the same time don't have to pay him until he actually starts working for us.

I'm sure he'll have been given a signing on fee which will keep him ticking over until his contract starts.

Liam89
18-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Welcome home Ivan, finally a player with some pace that can get bums off the seats!:thumbsup:

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 10:08 AM
This board is almost as frustrating as the Hibs team at the moment! :confused:

We bring back a fans favourite, who is more experienced than most in the squad, has more pace than all of the squad, has the ability to get bums off seats, didn't cost any money, and all before the transfer window opens. And what do we get? A bunch of moaning barstewards!

Well, I for one, am very happy to see the wee man back and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the current shower we have.

Liam89
18-05-2011, 10:09 AM

We bring back a fans favourite, who is more experienced than most in the squad, has more pace than all of the squad, has the ability to get bums off seats, didn't cost any money, and all before the transfer window opens. And what do we get? A bunch of moaning barstewards!

Well, I for one, am very happy to see the wee man back and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the current shower we have.

This! ^

AndersonGGTTH
18-05-2011, 10:11 AM

yeh what he said :aok:

Baker9
18-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Smacks of a Board signing for season ticket sales rather than a management signing. If the Board is still backing CC it seems a huge coincidence that his first close-season signing just happens to be Ivan. Of all the players he could have signed (assuming he has the backing) it is strange that Ivan would be his first choice. I can understand why he would have been the Board's first choice.

Cropley10

The rest of the league will be quaking in their boots eh.

Those stats in the first line are horrendous. I reckon Petrie thinks we're mugs tbh.

zlatan
With Galbraith getting a new deal and Sproule :not worth now back, it looks like the first thing being addressed is the need to exploit the extra width on the pitch at ER now.

Encouraging start, but a long way to go in terms of signings.

Cropley10
18-05-2011, 10:18 AM

2 games for Yeovil and 5 for Notts County. If his name wasn't Ivan Sproule you'd be thinking wtf.

And how do you know he still has any pace?

JimBHibees

Totally agree, Ivan will score and create loads in the SPL if he can stay fit and also not pick up so many bookings he will do well however he has more than enough to be seen as a decent signing for our current squad and is a clear improvement in my eyes.

Wilson

We get a perennial super-sub who wasn't always so super. Bums get off their seats then promptly sit back down as he beats his man then promptly crosses the ball out for a goal kick.

It is interesting that you find it a plus that he isn't costing any money. Normally the board would be slaughtered for going for the cheap option. Still....

As for his pace. Is this the prized asset that has made him so sought after in the higher paying English leagues? Fair play then Hibs for beating off no competition for his services.

Sorry to put a dampner on thisngs but if this is the quality of signing we are going for then alarm bells are ringing for next season already.

We need something more inspired than this.

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 10:20 AM
The rest of the league will be quaking in their boots eh.

Those stats in the first line are horrendous. I reckon Petrie thinks we're mugs tbh.

Give it a break eh? The guy isn't in the door yet and you're already slating him.

We don't know exactly how good he is compared to when he left but I'm pretty sure he's going to be able to add something to the team. That makes him a worthwhile signing in my book.

As for the Petrie comment ...... :confused:

Wilson
18-05-2011, 10:20 AM
With Galbraith getting a new deal and Sproule :not worth now back, it looks like the first thing being addressed is the need to exploit the extra width on the pitch at ER now.

Encouraging start, but a long way to go in terms of signings.

I'm sorry but Galbraith? People are slagging off the current squad an you are pinning your hopes on a guy that couldn't even break into it? God help us!

DC_Hibs
18-05-2011, 10:21 AM
100+ games at a higher level than the SPL, just turned 30, will provide much needed width.... and pace in the attacking third - suits me.

Won't get too carried away as like with Zemmama coming back, I didn't recall that he was that good in the first place.

No bedwetting from me until I see the squad we have around the start of next season.

Looking fwd more each week especially now we have cleared out so many deadwood that have underachieved for 18months now.

OK.

Baldy Foghorn
18-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I knew that was coming Brockie. :greengrin

:wink:

truehibernian
18-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm sorry but Galbraith? People are slagging off the current squad an you are pinning your hopes on a guy that couldn't even break into it? God help us!

Each and every time young Danny got into the side, whether a rare start or from the bench, for me he was always a bright spot, willing to take a man on, get good deliveries in, and also on occasion get on the end of things. For me he never let the team down even when on a bad run.

Good pre-season, no niggling injuries, and a good run in the side with players alongside with pace.......Danny will be a great wee player IMHO.

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 10:28 AM
We get a perennial super-sub who wasn't always so super. Bums get off their seats then promptly sit back down as he beats his man then promptly crosses the ball out for a goal kick.

It is interesting that you find it a plus that he isn't costing any money. Normally the board would be slaughtered for going for the cheap option. Still....

As for his pace. Is this the prized asset that has made him so sought after in the higher paying English leagues? Fair play then Hibs for beating off no competition for his services.

Sorry to put a dampner on thisngs but if this is the quality of signing we are going for then alarm bells are ringing for next season already.

We need something more inspired than this.

Yep, it's a plus that he's not costing us any money. I'd rather get something for nothing rather than pay for something of equal quality. Quite obvious really. Or do you like squandering money?

In Ivans' interview he says that he had options to stay down south. Now, considering we don't compete for players with, say, the top third of all the English leagues, I would say that we have beaten off some competition.

At this moment in time, I would still take that perennial super-sub because our team is so bad.

No-one, and I include Deek, in our team can beat a man. This puts us on the back foot constantly. We have no out balls and posession is always lost. Even if his final ball hasn't improved, he will certainly improve our ball retention.

SlickShoes
18-05-2011, 10:29 AM

How i miss that team.

Can we please have David Murphy back as well?

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 10:30 AM
2 games for Yeovil and 5 for Notts County. If his name wasn't Ivan Sproule you'd be thinking wtf.

You might be right with that. But his name is Ivan Sproule!

And how do you know he's lost his pace? I take it you're a glass half empty kind of person?!

wick hibby
18-05-2011, 10:32 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: 100% :thumbsup::thumbsup:

winnipeg jets
18-05-2011, 10:33 AM
:flag::aok: welcome back ivan, some good news after a crap season. lets welcome back a guy who really wants to play for the club and all you doom merchants go and spread your gloom somewhere else.:agree::agree:

Cropley10
18-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Give it a break eh? The guy isn't in the door yet and you're already slating him.

We don't know exactly how good he is compared to when he left but I'm pretty sure he's going to be able to add something to the team. That makes him a worthwhile signing in my book.

As for the Petrie comment ...... :confused:

Calm down dear it's only a message board. I'm not slating anyone. I'm merely saying I don't think it's an exciting or interesting signing - we beat of competition from no-one for his services after all.

I'm glad you're "pretty sure he's going to be able to add something to the team" - but I've absolutely no idea how you can say that unless you've seen him in any of these 7 appearances for Yeovil and Notts County.

Ivan had been 'found out' by the time he left. Will he have improved? I doubt it, I hope so - but I doubt it.

Fitba people ken what I'm saying about Petrie - first signing is 'fans favourite' Ivan Sproule - Petrie will know exactly how many ST's haven't been renewed and just like he did when we re-signed Deeks, will reckon this will appease the fans. Just shows who is in control, as per usual.

SlickShoes
18-05-2011, 10:35 AM

How do you know he doesn't?

This is the same guff as every year, people think we should be signing top class players but in reality most of the players we will buy will come from the SPL or from other countries lower leagues.

.Sean.
18-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Alan O'Brien on a zimmer frame.

SlickShoes
18-05-2011, 10:37 AM
How often do you actually get to sign a player that loves the club? In this day and age this rarely ever happens. Hopefully he can see out his career with hibs. He is a great guy that loves the same club as we do so why not just get right behind him?

Geo_1875
18-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Hibs can't announce anything but precontract agreements as the window doesn't open until June 1st. We may have many high quality signings lined up but you won't hear about them just yet. So in the meantime why don't you all just relax and take some deep breaths. So Ivan has only played 7 games recently. Who watched these games and decided his pace has gone and he still can't cross a ball?

Welcome home Ivan.

Cropley10
18-05-2011, 10:38 AM
I take it you're a glass half empty kind of person?!

Far, far from it - I just don't think any player 'going back' is a good idea. It very rarely works.

I have an opinion and I express it on a message board, at ER I'll back him and hope he does well. I don't think any other team in the Division will be thinking "sheet Hibs have got Sproule back..."

SlickShoes
18-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Calm down dear it's only a message board. I'm not slating anyone. I'm merely saying I don't think it's an exciting or interesting signing - we beat of competition from no-one for his services after all.

I'm glad you're "pretty sure he's going to be able to add something to the team" - but I've absolutely no idea how you can say that unless you've seen him in any of these 7 appearances for Yeovil and Notts County.

Ivan had been 'found out' by the time he left. Will he have improved? I doubt it, I hope so - but I doubt it.

Fitba people ken what I'm saying about Petrie - first signing is 'fans favourite' Ivan Sproule - Petrie will know exactly how many ST's haven't been renewed and just like he did when we re-signed Deeks, will reckon this will appease the fans. Just shows who is in control, as per usual.

Aye the rest of us are just total morons blindly following hibs for all the glorius trophies we win.

Fitba people, away you go and raffle yourself.

H18sry
18-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Anyone know how long he is signing for?

2 year deal :wink:

hibsbollah
I am absolutely delighted.

I hope Ivan isnt reading this and surmising,as i do, that hibs net is full of a bunch of miserable torn faced disasters a lot of the time.

calumhibee1
We've missed two main things this season - pace and passion for the club. In my 16 years of watching Hibs, I don't think there's been a player with more of either. I am DELIGHTED. Welcome home Ivan. :flag:

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 10:42 AM

I'll take you're last statement first as that's the one that's annoyed me most! Who the hell are you? John Hughes!

It may be a marketing ploy, it might not be. Frankly, my "dear", I couldn't care less. As long as the 'fans favourite' signing does the job that I want him to do I'll be happy. If we make a few extra bob on ST's then.... bonus!

But, I can't really stop you finding things to blame Petrie about, so fill yer boots.

As for the rest of your post.... if you can't find the re-signing of Ivan Sproule interesting or exciting then you've nothing constructive to add on this Ivan Sproule thread, do you?

Makaveli
18-05-2011, 10:43 AM

I hope Ivan isnt reading this and surmising,as i do, that hibs net is full of a bunch of miserable torn faced disasters a lot of the time.

Hibs.net is like that though... not at all reflective of supporter sentiment in my experience. Most I've spoken to are delighted Sproule is back.

matty_f
18-05-2011, 10:44 AM

Spot on. The only thing quicker than Ivan on this thread is the race for folk to get in first with the "he's pish" chat. Brutal.:rolleyes:

I swear that we could sign Messi and there would be folk desperate to get in there with "he's too wee", "too greedy" etc.

Cropley10
How do you know he doesn't?

This is the same guff as every year, people think we should be signing top class players but in reality most of the players we will buy will come from the SPL or from other countries lower leagues.

Yes you're right as you get older and in to your 30's you get faster, find more pace - silly me.

Yeovil and Notts County must have some cracking players in their sides if Ivan couldn't get in...

Oh and we're not buying him. He's a free agent. Without a Club etc.

Franck Stanton
Welcome back Ivan.

Do you think he could do a job at centre half ? Because thats the area we really need addressing.

California-Hibs
How any Hibs fan that has watched us this season, can be underwhelmed by the signing of Ivan Sproule is beyond me, seriously. We lack ANY genuine pace in the team, we lack players who like to take people on, we lack players with high levels of passion.

We have just signed a player who contains all THREE of these elements!

He will also have gained alot more experience from his time down in England playing against better opposition and in a better league. He's also still at a good age at 30, the way some Hibs fans are going on here makes it out like he's about 53! We have been crying out for a right midfielder for a long long time now, and this signing will do me nicely, absolutly delighted that he's back!

GET IT! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::agree:

R'Albin
18-05-2011, 10:45 AM

This.

Welcome home, Ivan:flag::flag:

matty_f
18-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Yes you're right as you get older and in to your 30's you get faster, find more pace - silly me.

Yeovil and Notts County must have some cracking players in their sides if Ivan couldn't get in...

"I had a few opportunities to stay down in England, but I told my agent that this was the place I wanted to come back to.

Yet he could have gone elsewhere, so it's not as if (as you're trying to have us believe in this thread) we were the only club that wanted him.

Cropley10
18-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I'll take you're last statement first as that's the one that's annoyed me most! Who the hell are you? John Hughes!

It may be a marketing ploy, it might not be. Frankly, my "dear", I couldn't care less. As long as the 'fans favourite' signing does the job that I want him to do I'll be happy. If we make a few extra bob on ST's then.... bonus!

But, I can't really stop you finding things to blame Petrie about, so fill yer boots.

As for the rest of your post.... if you can't find the re-signing of Ivan Sproule interesting or exciting then you've nothing constructive to add on this Ivan Sproule thread, do you?

The Fitba people thing, is a wind up mate, please calm down!:greengrin

So unless I have something constructive to say then I can't join in, is that how the MB works is it?

The Petrie thing is for another day - but there's only one constant at Hibs... and his record at hiring managers is, frankly, horrendous, yet he seems to always be beyond criticism, by some. Nothing will change at Hibs as long as Iron Rod is in charge.

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Far, far from it - I just don't think any player 'going back' is a good idea. It very rarely works.

I have an opinion and I express it on a message board, at ER I'll back him and hope he does well. I don't think any other team in the Division will be thinking "sheet Hibs have got Sproule back..."

So if you're "far, far" from being a glass half empty person then, I'll ask again, why do you think he's lost his pace?

Cropley10
18-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Aye the rest of us are just total morons blindly following hibs for all the glorius trophies we win.

Fitba people, away you go and raffle yourself.

:fishin:

Baldy Foghorn
18-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Spot on. The only thing quicker than Ivan on this thread is the race for folk to get in first with the "he's pish" chat. Brutal.:rolleyes:

I swear that we could sign Messi and there would be folk desperate to get in there with "he's too wee", "too greedy" etc.

The board is a sounding block, not everyone is delighted to see IS return, and most Hibby's I know are underwhelmed.....

That is their and my perogative, no need for moral high ground from anyone else on this thread

Baldy Foghorn
18-05-2011, 10:51 AM
So if you're "far, far" from being a glass half empty person then, I'll ask again, why do you think he's lost his pace?

He left in 2007. His record of playing matches since 2010 is 7....If he had pace and skill in abundance do you not think he would have started more, considering it was 7 games played for Yeovil and Notts county?

Frogga
Even if he's not as sharp as he once was I'm sure he'll help to lift the dressing room and provide a bit of experience to a young team.

Welcome home Ivan!!

matty_f
The board is a sounding block, not everyone is delighted to see IS return, and most Hibby's I know are underwhelmed.....

That is their and my perogative, no need for moral high ground from anyone else on this thread

I was just using it as a sounding board. No moral high ground intended. Just my opinion, likes.

LancashireHibby
18-05-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't know how anyone can judge what he's going to be like until he has a few friendlies etc at least! Give the guy a chance to show what he's learned in a good league with Bristol City before jumping to all kinds of conclusions.

Sudds_1

well.........he is, isnt he. Not Hibs class at all :rolleyes:

HibeeMG
The Fitba people thing, is a wind up mate, please calm down!:greengrin

So unless I have something constructive to say then I can't join in, is that how the MB works is it?

The Petrie thing is for another day - but there's only one constant at Hibs... and his record at hiring managers is, frankly, horrendous, yet he seems to always be beyond criticism, by some. Nothing will change at Hibs as long as Iron Rod is in charge.

I'm not the only one that didn't think it sounded like a wind-up. I'd suggest changing your material for future reference.

I'm not saying you "can't join in", I'm just suggesting that you'll not be painting yourself in a good light on a thread which you claim to not have any interest or excitement about.

Yes, the Rod thing is for another day....... so don't bring it up!!!!!

hibs0666
18-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Who else do you have in mind?

southern hibby
18-05-2011, 10:56 AM
I have watched Ivan a few times for Bristol City and he seems to be a bit slower. I don't think its the lack of pace that causes this but I think he has been taught to look up a bit more by the coaching staff as this is what he seemed to be doing on a more regular basis than at ER. This is fine as Ivan could run all day and most of the night without the end products at time, maybe a little bit more end product this time round.
I really do think he will be an asset to the club especially in the last 30 minutes of games because he does still have the pace to leave defenders standing especially if they are tiring. Again this will depend on how CC plays him, if he gets used as a sub or the full 90 minutes but I for one thinks he still has the pace and a little more wisdom than the first time around and I know we need an option at present to change games in the last 30 minutes as we dont have this in our armoury at present. This could be it, if used correctly.

I for one welcome him back with open arms, he wants to come to us, he's within our budget and more to the point HE DOES OFFER US SOMETHING (even if it is only the last 30 minutes of each game) THAT WE DO NOT HAVE AT PRESENT, or had for a while.

IVAN, WELCOME HOME.

GGTTH

Baldy Foghorn
I was just using it as a sounding board. No moral high ground intended. Just my opinion, likes.

There are others on here taking moral high ground....For some he is a great signing.....For me he isn't....I remember him at Rugby Park one day when I don't think he managed a sniff of the ball, and who can forget his Hampden escapade in the Semi ???

The hat-trick probably glosses over these facts for a lot, but I won't forget or be fooled by that, I saw his EVERY game in a Hibs jersey and was not too impressed first time round, so for anyone reading, forgive me for not joining in on the Ivan party, and if it makes me glass half empty, miserable or anything else then so be it....

hibs0666
Smacks of a Board signing for season ticket sales rather than a management signing.

No it doesn't.

Craig_in_Prague
18-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Get in.

Welcome back Ivan.

:flag:

Velma Dinkley
18-05-2011, 10:57 AM

How long was Ivan on loan at Yeovil and Notts County for?

Baldy Foghorn
18-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Who else do you have in mind?

Thats not my job, but do we really believe this is the summer signing CC wanted in......???

Its a Board signing to appease fans and hope Season Tickets will now fly out the door on the back of this.....I cant get excited about this at all.....

matty_f
18-05-2011, 10:59 AM
No it doesn't.

:agree:

What I think has happened here is Ivan's known that he's not staying where he was, he's asked his agent to sound out Hibs,he's done that, CC's had a look and got Ivan up to see the place, and decided to take him on.

Don't imagine that the board would have been unreceptive to the idea, given Ivan's popularity, but to suggest that the decision lay anywhere other than at the manager's door is probably wide of the mark.

Velma Dinkley
18-05-2011, 11:01 AM
He left in 2007. His record of playing matches since 2010 is 7....If he had pace and skill in abundance do you not think he would have started more, considering it was 7 games played for Yeovil and Notts county?

Do his games for Bristol City not count? :confused:

Big90inOz
18-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Not sure this will be a good move for club or player BUT if he has half the pace, half the commitment or half the heart he had the last time round the team will be immediately improved :agree:

Welcome back Ivan :flag:

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 11:02 AM
He certainly used to get me off my seat, if he can do that again he will be a decent signing.

A good start. We need more. Much more.

"We all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules!"

FFS! COULD WE NO HAVE GONE FOR THAT O'BRIEN BLOKE INSTEAD !!!! :devil:

WELCOME HOME IVAN! :not worth

silverhibee
18-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Totally agree, Ivan will score and create loads in the SPL if he can stay fit and also not pick up so many bookings he will do well however he has more than enough to be seen as a decent signing for our current squad and is a clear improvement in my eyes.

Hope your right about the bit in bold, Ivan is the Boards big signing to get bums back on seats for next season.

RP should just go the whole hog and manage the team as well. :thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
18-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Do his games for Bristol City not count? :confused:

121 for Bristol count of course but I am talking about his two loan deals........

Velma Dinkley
18-05-2011, 11:04 AM
121 for Bristol count of course but I am talking about his two loan deals........

weren't they just one month each?

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Thats not my job, but do we really believe this is the summer signing CC wanted in......???

Its a Board signing to appease fans and hope Season Tickets will now fly out the door on the back of this.....I cant get excited about this at all.....

Again, I say, he's cost nothing, he's a fans favourite, is experienced, has more pace than anyone else at ER, has the ability to get bums off seats and has come around before the transfer window. Whether it is a CC signing or not, I still believe he is a worthwhile signing for the team

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Ivan with one leg is an improvement, thats good no?:confused: And when we look to the bench and see Dickoh coming on for Vaz Te, i sure as hell would rather have seen Sproule coming on than that substitution.

JimBHibees
18-05-2011, 11:06 AM

Just to put things in perspective he has played in 19 games since the start of the current season mostly for Bristol City who play in a higher quality league than we do.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/search.sd?search=Ivan+Sproule&type=player

He may not be as quick though I can think of no good reason why a fast player would suddenly get much slower when he turns 30, he may also look after himself more now that he is more experienced and be wiser in his movement due to playing at a higher league. Given we have just finished 10th in the SPL it has got to be said this to me is nothing but an improvement on what we currently have.

Baldy Foghorn
18-05-2011, 11:06 AM
weren't they just one month each?

Don't think so, but if I am proved wrong I will apologise

JimBHibees
18-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Ivan with one leg is an improvement, thats good no?:confused: And when we look to the bench and see Dickoh coming on for Vaz Te, i sure as hell would rather have seen Sproule coming on than that substitution.

Completely. :agree:

Cropley10
18-05-2011, 11:08 AM

Why do you think he hasn't??? You see - it's quite easy to have very circular arguments on here. But we have a difference of opinion, I've not said he's pish, nor have I slated him.

The sad fact of life is as you get older you get slower, certainly when you're over 30. Other than taking lots of performance enhancing drugs there's not a lot anyone can do about it.

I can't get excited about this and nor can some others. As Baldy says above, lets try and avoid the moral high ground stuff. If I don't think it's a great thing and I say so on here, that does not make me a glass half empty person, nor does it make me a 'bad Hibee'.

Velma Dinkley
18-05-2011, 11:09 AM

you could apologise now and retract the apology when you're proved right :greengrin

Gatecrasher
18-05-2011, 11:10 AM
welcome back ivan :thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
18-05-2011, 11:11 AM
you could apologise now and retract the apology when you're proved right :greengrin

Even I am proved wrong my mind wont change of Ivan's signing....

Cropley10
18-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Hope your right about the bit in bold, Ivan is the Boards big signing to get bums back on seats for next season.

RP should just go the whole hog and manage the team as well. :thumbsup:

Slightly off beam Silver, but do you know if Hibs scouts still report to Rod or do they now report to Calderwood?

erin go bragh
18-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Alan well`s was 31 when he won gold in the 100m as was linford christie .
we have been crying out for a pace all season, so we sign someone with pace and you get all the torn faced gits moaning about it , give the guy a chance and lets see what he can do [ riordan has 5 assists this season , ill state ivan will have more than that before xmas and double figures before the season is out]
WELCOME HOME IVAN
ggtth

matty_f
Slightly off beam Silver, but do you know if Hibs scouts still report to Rod or do they now report to Calderwood?

Have you got any evidence whatsoever that they ever reported to Rod?

JimBHibees

The stats seem to indicate they were. Yeovil only for 3 weeks and he only played for Notts County in all the March games.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/search.sd?search=Ivan+Sproule&type=player

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Why do you think he hasn't??? You see - it's quite easy to have very circular arguments on here. But we have a difference of opinion, I've not said he's pish, nor have I slated him.

The sad fact of life is as you get older you get slower, certainly when you're over 30. Other than taking lots of performance enhancing drugs there's not a lot anyone can do about it.

I can't get excited about this and nor can some others. As Baldy says above, lets try and avoid the moral high ground stuff. If I don't think it's a great thing and I say so on here, that does not make me a glass half empty person, nor does it make me a 'bad Hibee'.

I'm certainly not trying to take the moral high ground, please don't take my statements that way. I also don't like people trying to make others sound like 'bad Hibees' so that isn't intended either.

What I am saying is, he, from what we know, going to improve the team? I, and a lot of people, say yes, we think so. If you think he won't going on what we know about him then fair enough.

JimBHibees
18-05-2011, 11:16 AM

Dear oh dear. :rolleyes:

Sprouleflyer
18-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the comments and welcoming me back!! :wink::greengrin

hibs0666
18-05-2011, 11:22 AM

That's irrelevant. Ivan played 26 games during 2010. What exactly is wrong with that?

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Have you got any evidence whatsoever that they ever reported to Rod?

I have :wink:

silverhibee
18-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Not seen many people on this thread saying that Ivan is pish Matty, some people just wondering if this was a board signing, or CC signing.

hibs0666
18-05-2011, 11:24 AM

How do you know that?

flash
18-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Please don't hijack my welcome thread.

matty_f
18-05-2011, 11:32 AM

No you haven't - at best you'll have an agenda led spin based on an anecdote. That's not evidence G.:wink:

seanraff07
18-05-2011, 11:32 AM
There's just no pleasing some people on here :rolleyes:

I'm delighted by this and can't wait to see him back playing for the Hibs, hopefully the rest of the squad can look at Ivan's passion when playing and maybe think about adding it to their own game as you could tell it was lacking last season.

Welcome home Ivan :not worth

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 11:34 AM
No you haven't - at best you'll have an agenda led spin based on an anecdote. That's not evidence G.:wink:

:faf:

Straight from the horse's to a pal I would trust with my life - he has no 'agenda' :wink:

HibeeSince85
18-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Are you going to prove it then?

Franck is God
18-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I think that Sproule is an ideal signing for the way CC will play next year, a main striker through the middle and pace on either side. A strong midfield three and attacking full backs giving extra width.

121 Appearances in the Championship in four years including a play off final seems like a good experience to me and considering his professional career only started 7 years ago I think he has a few seasons left in his legs at 30.

matty_f
18-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Straight from the horse's to a pal I would trust with my life - he has no 'agenda' :wink:
From a scout? Aye right.

Sergio sledge
18-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Yeovil one was 20days, and Yeovil only played 2 games in the period he was there, both of which he started.

Notts County was a month long loan (http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10426~2307957,00.html) He started 4 and was sub in 1 of their 8 games. in that period.

:top marks for stats manipulation though, "since 2010" includes his loan spell at Yeovil in Nov/Dec 2010, but conveniently not his other games at Bristol City before that or in fact after that. I guess the fact that he played in 4 games for Bristol City between his load at Yeovil and his loan at Notts County didn't really suit your viewpoint so you just ignored them? :greengrin

Sproule was not a regular starter when he was here last time, but may have learnt from his time in a better league and may come back a better player. I'm willing to wait and see how he gets on before judging the signing. We cannot afford to be signing players like Sproule just to be super-subs, so I'd imagine he'll be starting most games. We also have to remember he had better players keeping him out the side the first time he was here too. I'm firmly in the "sit on the fence" camp over this signing. :greengrin

HibbyAndy
18-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Im absolutely delighted Sproule has come home.

Absolute cheesing!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Get in!!

Dinkydoo
18-05-2011, 11:43 AM
The rebuilding begins! :greengrin

Welcome back Ivan. :flag:

JimBHibees
18-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Not seen many people on this thread saying that Ivan is pish Matty, some people just wondering if this was a board signing, or CC signing.

Seems to be only you doing that. :greengrin

Why would it not be a CC signing? What is likely to have happened is some sort of indication that IS was available and CC (who would already know him having been Assistant with Newcastle in the same league) has invited him up?

No doubt the final decision would be with the manager within some financial parameters. Dont see any issue with that at all and am bewildered people seem to be jumping to this very negative conclusion.

KeithTheHibby
18-05-2011, 11:44 AM
I wonder if those who are slagging off signing Sproule have actually purchased a season ticket for next year thus allowing the club to bring in the quality they so desire...I am not convinced.

Www1875hfc
18-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Penicuik Hibs Says Welcome Home To Ivan, Janet And The 2 Kids :greengrin

IWasThere2016
From a scout? Aye right.

No .. you need the context - I'll PM you, and perhaps you'll stop digging :wink:

blackpoolhibs
I think Sproule would walk into the team that started on Saturday, this imo is an improvement.

Sergio sledge
18-05-2011, 11:46 AM

What horse?

Was the pal Andy74? :greengrin

The_Exile
18-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Welcome home guy! I'd give him the captains armband too, show the spineless some passion and commitment to the cause, get in :not worth

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 11:49 AM
No .. you need the context - I'll PM you, and perhaps you'll stop digging :wink:

PM sent Matty.

What horse?

Was the pal Andy74? :greengrin

You're a bad man!

The_Horde
18-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeovil one was 20days, and Yeovil only played 2 games in the period he was there, both of which he started.

Notts County was a month long loan (http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10426~2307957,00.html) He started 4 and was sub in 1 of their 8 games. in that period.

:top marks for stats manipulation though, "since 2010" includes his loan spell at Yeovil in Nov/Dec 2010, but conveniently not his other games at Bristol City before that or in fact after that. I guess the fact that he played in 4 games for Bristol City between his load at Yeovil and his loan at Notts County didn't really suit your viewpoint so you just ignored them? :greengrin

Sproule was not a regular starter when he was here last time, but may have learnt from his time in a better league and may come back a better player. I'm willing to wait and see how he gets on before judging the signing. We cannot afford to be signing players like Sproule just to be super-subs, so I'd imagine he'll be starting most games. We also have to remember he had better players keeping him out the side the first time he was here too. I'm firmly in the "sit on the fence" camp over this signing. :greengrin

He also picked up an injury while at Notts County..

Albion Hibs
18-05-2011, 11:57 AM
I think this is very good news. He left us a good player and I am hopeful he will come back an even better one.

I dont not understand the negative chat about how many games he got for other teams over the past year - does anyone know anything about these team i.e. that they had a solid winning starting 11, that the player in his position was not set for moving up to the premier league etc - I will assume they dont and it is just silly stat bashing. In any event they will no doubt be the same ones getting excited about Stephens - who could not get a game for Lincoln, and Palsson - who could not get a game for Dagenham & Redbridge.

Sproule has a great track record in this league and for our club, great news he is back.

Well done to CC and the board for getting the team building for next year underway so quickly.

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I think this is very good news. He left us a good player and I am hopeful he will come back an even better one.

I dont not understand the negative chat about how many games he got for other teams over the past year - does anyone know anything about these team i.e. that they had a solid winning starting 11, that the player in his position was not set for moving up to the premier league etc - I will assume they dont and it is just silly stat bashing. In any event they will no doubt be the same ones getting excited about Stephens - who could not get a game for Lincoln, and Palsson - who could not get a game for Dagenham & Redbridge.

Sproule has a great track record in this league and for our club, great news he is back.

Well done to CC and the board for getting the team building for next year underway so quickly.

Has to continue though .. no more late/last minute panic signings please! got the squad assembled, bonding, fit, organised and ready to hit the ground running! :agree:

JimBHibees
18-05-2011, 12:00 PM
;2805807']He also picked up an injury while at Notts County..

Just shows he has no heart he should have played when injured. :greengrin

allezsauzee
18-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Great to have Ivan back...can we have Deano back now too please? :greengrin

Hibs Giant
18-05-2011, 12:06 PM
"There is nobody happier than me at the minute. I feel I'm returning in order to give something back to Hibs and that I'm coming home."

This is the attitude we want. Never should have let him go IMO. Great player.

SneakersO'Toole
18-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Some people on this thread need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

Fair enough if you are not overly enamoured with the signing of Sproule but coming out with stuff like "its Petrie's signing" is cringeworthy and has NO SUBSTANCE whatsoever. I would challenge these people to prove these so called statements.

For me, Matty F surmised what has gone on very well.

I would also be intersted in know from Matty F if TMQ is talking out his preverbial again or actually has/knows anything genuine regarding what is being said in this thread. Over to you Matty?

basehibby
18-05-2011, 12:10 PM
:flag::cgwa:flag:

Wahey - Delighted is the word to sum up my feelings about this! Welcome home Ivan - this is a much needed piece of good news and hopefully the start of a rebuilding exercise that will put smiles back on faces and get bums on seats come the start of next season. :aok:

matty_f
18-05-2011, 12:11 PM

Fair enough if you are not overly enamoured with the signing of Sproule but coming out with stuff like "its Petrie's signing" is cringeworthy and has NO SUBSTANCE whatsoever. I would challenge these people to prove these so called statements.

I would also be intersted in know from Matty F if TMQ is talking out his preverbial again or actually has/knows anything genuine regarding what is being said in this thread. Over to you Matty?

With the best will in the world, TQM sent a pm because he didn't want it public. Out of respect for that, I'll comment no further other than to say it hasn't changed my mind one bit (G - I'll PM you later on).

AndersonGGTTH
18-05-2011, 12:12 PM
:flag::cgwa:flag:

Wahey - Delighted is the word to sum up my feelings about this! Welcome home Ivan - this is a much needed piece of good news and hopefully the start of a rebuilding exercise that will put smiles back on faces and get bums on seats come the start of next season. :aok:

LIKE ME - "delighted" and for the doubters.. c'mon least its not bad news ?:flag:

Wembley67
18-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Agreed. 99.99% percent you read on this board is a pile of *****.

Waste of time coming on here these days but just keep on returning :rolleyes:

KingFranck
18-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Great news welcome home Ivan now lets get Murphy and Jones back :greengrin

SneakersO'Toole
18-05-2011, 12:18 PM
With the best will in the world, TQM sent a pm because he didn't want it public. Out of respect for that, I'll comment no further other than to say it hasn't changed my mind one bit (G - I'll PM you later on).

Completely understandable from your point of view Matty.

I just don't understand why TMQ decided to say that he has so called 'proof' then is not willing to share. Smacks of attention seeking and only gives people who believe that we have a 'Vlad type' CEO even more ammo for this pathetic ideology.

scoopyboy
18-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Cheer up old boy, it's only the beginning.

If Ivan was to be our only signing in the close season I would be distraught, if he was the best signing this close season I would be equally distraught.

Better signings will follow so be a bit more optimistic, or else its a reunion with Gillian for you.

AndersonGGTTH
18-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Agreed. 99.99% percent you read on this board is a pile of *****.

Waste of time coming on here these days but just keep on returning :rolleyes:

steady .. ad say more 99.98%:greengrin

Seveno
18-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Spot on. Pace and passion - a lot more than most of the rejects.

Welcome home, Ivan. :not worth

Centre Hawf
18-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Its a free transfer, im sure he wont be on loads of money comapared to the likes of Miller and Riordan. At the end of the day we have been lacking in the winger department and hopefully he will give Galbraith and Wotherspoon a bit of mentoring. We must expect that he will not be the same player he was when he left, but right now thats still twice as good as some of the players we have now.

Welcome Home Ivan, you have been missed.

AndersonGGTTH
18-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Its a free transfer, im sure he wont be on loads of money comapared to the likes of Miller and Riordan. At the end of the day we have been lacking in the winger department and hopefully he will give Galbraith and Wotherspoon a bit of mentoring. We must expect that he will not be the same player he was when he left, but right now thats still twice as good as some of the players we have now.

Welcome Home Ivan, you have been missed.
:top marks for soo soo long now !!1! welcome back speedy!

BEEJ
18-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Just to put things in perspective he has played in 19 games since the start of the current season mostly for Bristol City who play in a higher quality league than we do.

Given we have just finished 10th in the SPL it has got to be said this to me is nothing but an improvement on what we currently have.
:agree: Has to be a step in the right direction.

Cheer up old boy, it's only the beginning.

If Ivan was to be our only signing in the close season I would be distraught, if he was the best signing this close season I would be equally distraught.

Better signings will follow...
:top marks

Phil MaGlass
I have to say, Im with the underwhelmed lot, this time. Dont think we should have signed him and definitely dont think he will add anything to the side.
Before he left, I remember fans getting on his back(not me) for not getting his head up and poor crossing,teams were easily closing him down .
Prove me wrong Ivan, and welcome back.

tomhorn
one word to sum this up - 'mind-blowing'

hibsbollah
18-05-2011, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Hibs Giant;2805834]"There is nobody happier than me at the minute. I feel I'm returning in order to give something back to Hibs and that I'm coming home."

[QUOTE]

Absolutely loving that quote:thumbsup::flag:

The_Horde
18-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Looking forward to Ivan and De Graaf running at opposition defences..

I think the doom and gloomers are moer annoyed with Hibs than anything else, they want to believe it's a positive move but can't see past there being a 'catch'.

Put it this way, Ivan's not come back to play the Mixu role..

SteveHFC
18-05-2011, 12:33 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

NGH
18-05-2011, 12:35 PM

I love this so much. I'm pleased Ivan is back and even if it ends in tears nothing will ever stop me from watching this hat-trick again and again.

Mikeystewart
18-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Welcome back, Ivan.

I hope this is just the start because on the wings is probably one of the areas of the squad that are least urgent in terms of strengthening.

I would disagree, I think we have lacked width ever since he left. yes we have wide players in Wotherspoon and Galbraith, but I believe Galbraith is not as direct or as fast as Ivan.

bawheid
18-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Completely understandable from your point of view Matty.

I just don't understand why TMQ decided to say that he has so called 'proof' then is not willing to share. Smacks of attention seeking and only gives people who believe that we have a 'Vlad type' CEO even more ammo for this pathetic ideology.

Exactly. And it's not the first time.

I find the "look at me, I know something that you don't, but I'm not telling" attitude quite disturbing in a way. It's odd.

The accusation being made here is that the Hibs scouts report directly to Rod Petrie, with no involvement from the football manager. That's a very serious accusation about the way the club is being run, and it needs to be explored. If it's not true then it's also potentially libellous.

It's just not good enough to throw a grenade like that out there and then hide behind anonymity when pressed for more details.

Edit - apologies for continuing the hijack flash

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Fairy nuff - but it is on the money.

Judas Iscariot
18-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Welcome home Ivan :not worth

Better than:

Rankin - yes
Spoony - yes
De graff - yes
Stevenson - yes
Scott - yes

If we keep improving on the current players or players who've been released then it's a step in the right direction :aok:

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 12:47 PM

I find the "look at me, I know something that you don't, but I'm not telling" attitude quite disturbing in a way. It's odd.

The accusation being made here is that the Hibs scouts report directly to Rod Petrie, with no involvement from the football manager. That's a very serious accusation about the way the club is being run, and it needs to be explored. If it's not true then it's also potentially libellous.

It's just not good enough to throw a grenade like that out there and then hide behind anonymity when pressed for more details.

You have a PM. But no more from me on the subject - and not for fear of any libel action :greengrin

silverhibee
18-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Please don't hijack my welcome thread.

:aok:

SneakersO'Toole
18-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Whether people want to admit it or not, its damaging to the club IMO. Granted it is not a direct impact but I agree it is irresponsible to be making such statements unless you are going to back them up. To make them for the sake of 'looking cool' on a message board if that indeed is the desired outcome is pretty sad.

bandylegs_jLeighton
18-05-2011, 12:54 PM
As far as I am concerned, the only way to fairly judge a player is with your own eyes.

That's more accurate than pulling out the old crystal ball and speculating as to what might of changed since then; for better or worse.

When Ivan was previously at Hibs I thought he was the best impact player in the squad by far.

I know who I'd rather have in the squad between Sproule and Rankin, or indeed Thicot, Nish, Byrne or any other of players we've released recently.

EasterRoad4Ever
18-05-2011, 12:57 PM
For that hat-trick alone, he deserves our respect.

I don't understand some Hibs fans being negative about Sproule's return. There are few players I've seen in my 40 odd years at ER that embody the Hibernian Spirit - Stanton, Baker, Sauzee and I would add Sproule to that list. He may not be as talented as others but he will bring spirit and excitement back to the place. We are in dire need of something, and I really hope his 2nd term is a success.

Welcome home Ivan.

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Whether people want to admit it or not, its damaging to the club IMO. Granted it is not a direct impact but I agree it is irresponsible to be making such statements unless you are going to back them up. To make them for the sake of 'looking cool' on a message board if that indeed is the desired outcome is pretty sad.

I questioned - and have backed up - an assertion I know to be wrong. I was not alone either in this. Arguably, what is 'damaging to the club' is the arrangement in place and not that it has been mentioned on here. However, I did suggest to Matty he stopped digging accordingly.

MyJo
18-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I questioned - and have backed up - an assertion I know to be wrong. I was not alone either in this. Arguably, what is 'damaging to the club' is the arrangement in place and not that it has been mentioned on here. However, I did suggest to Matty he stopped digging accordingly.

So when Hughes was in charge was it actually Petrie who scouted and decided to sign only players that Hughes had previously worked with at Falkirk? :dunno:

skipster7
18-05-2011, 01:07 PM
welcome back ivan, if your half as good to watch as you were, then you'll be twice as good as we've had in the last 15 months:thumbsup::flag:

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 01:09 PM
So when Hughes was in charge was it actually Petrie who scouted and decided to sign only players that Hughes had previously worked with at Falkirk? :dunno:

That's not what was suggested at all .. re-read the posts.

SneakersO'Toole
18-05-2011, 01:10 PM

You haven't backed up anything. Let's say that I know for a fact that what you are suggesting doesn't go on at the club.

What makes your claim any more credible than mine?

matty_f
18-05-2011, 01:10 PM

To be fair, no facts were presented therefore request to stop digging politely declined. :greengrin

matty_f
18-05-2011, 01:11 PM
And de graaf, hart, johannsen, zurabi...

GordonHFC
18-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Hopefully a small cog in a new large wheel.

HibbyAndy
18-05-2011, 01:15 PM
And de graaf, hart, johannsen, zurabi...

They were Mixu signings :greengrin

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 01:18 PM
You haven't backed up anything. Let's say that I know for a fact that what you are suggesting doesn't go on at the club.

You're right I made it up. All of it. :rolleyes:

truehibernian
18-05-2011, 01:21 PM
He was a Mixu signing :greengrin

I vividly remember hearing Jim Duffy co-commentating on Zurabi's debut (which I think was against Gretna......could be wrong right enough). I was down south and I heard the words uttered from Duff Jimmy's mouth "Mixu looks to have uncovered a real gem there in Zurabi"............there then followed a roll of my eyes, an "awww gonnae no" and the sheer inevitability of him turning out to be pure ganting..........there should be a law to keep Duffy away from ER commentary and giving his thoughts on players IMHO :greengrin

Stevie Reid
18-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Happy with this, it'll certainly do for starters.

Andy74
18-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Why wouldn't scouts be reporting to the Chief Exec/Chairman?

They provide a service for the club and ultimately the manager will work with them and receive info from them but not sure what would be gained by having line management into the team manager?

WindyMiller
18-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Deeks was signed on the last day ofthe transfer window, anyone buying an ST then would have already missed 2 games.

matty_f
18-05-2011, 01:34 PM

They provide a service for the club and ultimately the manager will work with them and receive info from them but not sure what would be gained by having line management into the team manager?

I think the problem lies with the implication that the scouts only report their findings to rp, and that he decides who gets forwarded to the manager. I wouldn't doubt that those that should know what the scouts are doing for their money are copied in, but the implied suggestion is that players are identified between petrie and the scouts without the involvement of the manager, which is, frankly, bollocks.

matty_f
18-05-2011, 01:35 PM
They were Mixu signings :greengrin

I know, point is they weren't petrie's.

SneakersO'Toole
18-05-2011, 01:39 PM
You're right I made it up. All of it. :rolleyes:

Ok, let me explain it this way. The company I work for which I'm a senior manager in has worked closely with Hibs since the opening of the training centre. Since then I have developed a couple of really decent relationships with people connected at the club, both on a business and personal level. Needless to say these people aren't players but they are not the dinner ladies either.

Sometimes I get told pieces of information regarding the club that is of interest, i.e. Signings etc. But because I get zero pride or pleasure in wanting to be a 'inside info' poster I very very seldom post anything of this nature. I think the last thing I did was when I heard the team news before the away leg in maribor.

Now if I was ask to these said people about what we are talking about and I know I would get a straight answer and I'm almost positive it would be the opposite to what you are claiming.

So I ask again what makes your claim any more credible to mine? You love the attention of being an inside info poster yet have got it wrong more than once. I think making accusations like you have without backing them up is damaging to the club, especially when it is an attempt to make yourself look good instead of for the benefit of the club itself.

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Andy Andy Andy! Now that's potentially 'damaging' and 'libellous' - what are you man? Sad? Odd? or both? :wink: :greengrin

Saorsa
18-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Welcome back, Ivan :thumbsup: :flag: :thumbsup:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/hibsgalld3.jpg

hibiedude
18-05-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm happy to see him back :thumbsup:

ionahibby
18-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Going to bodyswerve all the negativity on this thread and say

Welcome back ivan :thumbsup:

eastmainsmsh
18-05-2011, 01:55 PM
At least Ivan can get away fi the polis :greengrin

Kaiser1962
18-05-2011, 02:00 PM

I would think in the modern game that all work together as a team.

Cal 7-0
18-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Welcome Home Ivan glad tae have you back Wee Man!!:flag::greengrin

"I always tried to entertain and put a smile on the fans faces, who are the best fans in Scotland." Ivan Sproule

Hibs90
18-05-2011, 02:24 PM
He's here, he's there hes every ****ing where IVAN SPROULE :thumbsup:

Posh Swanny
18-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Welcome home Ivan.

Don't worry about the whingers. They're probably the same ones who were pleased when Jones, Boozy, Shiels etc left as it meant we could bring in some "real" quality.

Lofarl
18-05-2011, 02:30 PM
We could have signed Messi and Ronaldo and folk here would moan. Hibs must have the highest percentage of bipolar fans on the planet. We are great one week and CC is a football god,then we are a pub team and its clueless Colin.

Be honest now all you naysayers. How many times have you saw a ball played up the wing and just wished even for a split second it had someone like Ivan racing after it. Well we ain't got someone like Ivan, we have got freaking Ivan.

I for one am pleased we have got a new transfer in while the season is technically not over yet. There will be plenty of others coming and maybe a few going. There are very few players who i personally feel deserve a second shot at playing for the cabbage. One is Ivan, the other is David Murphy. Yet I bet if we got him back folk would moan too.

CC said in the January transfer window a few of his signings feel through due to injuries etc. He now has a good amount of time to bring these lads in and get a team in his mould. The jury is still out on the guy for sure, yet none of his signings have been duds like de-graff or Hart.

I am raging that we did not get this former Man U youngster that Dundee United just got though.

Riordans Boots
18-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I am delighted with this news :thumbsup:

A huge massive "Welcome Home Ivan" :flag::thumbsup::flag:

Hibee_Lisa
18-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Welcome back Ivan,good luck. :thumbsup:

HibsMax
18-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Too many posts to go through in-depth right now but I think some of the comments on here are laughable.

The transfer window hasn't opened yet. We're talking about ONE player.

As the title of this thread says, "and so it begins" yet some people are talking as though it were the end...

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Lofarl - naebody would moan if we signed Ronaldo and Messi, thats a silly statement

Andy74
18-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Andy Andy Andy! Now that's potentially 'damaging' and 'libellous' - what are you man? Sad? Odd? or both? :wink: :greengrin

Sorry, you've lost me. :confused:

HibsMax
18-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Lofarl - naebody would moan if we signed Ronaldo and Messi, thats a silly statement
You might be surprised. People are moaning about this signing and he hasn't even kicked a ball yet.

Seriously though, I suspect lofarl's comment may have been a little tongue in cheek.

Posh Swanny
18-05-2011, 03:05 PM

And I thought we were the sensible team in Edinburgh when it comes to wages. The wolves will be at the door by January and the OF will come in with cut price offers for both players, which we'll be forced to accept. Can't see the benefit of these signings at all.

Tonez
18-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Welcome back Ivan.:thumbsup:

At least he can go past a player, something we're in dire need off right now.

LeithBoozy
18-05-2011, 03:48 PM
The wee man does not owe us anything that is for sure, we were promised Ivan on a moter-bike with his replacement. Well we know how far off the mark that was, wellcome home Ivan its good to have you back home. :not worth

kaimendhibs
18-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Welcome back Ivan.:flag:

davehiby
18-05-2011, 04:39 PM

a huge welcome home ivan

please please please a whole season of this type play for hibs

Penrith Hibee
18-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Delighted, for all his faults Ivan could turn a game and teams hate pace, something which we lack in most areas at the moment. Welcome home Ivan...

sh00byd00
18-05-2011, 05:07 PM
One thing is for sure, I'd rather have Ivan in the team than Nish, so it's a start!

RIP
18-05-2011, 05:08 PM
I can't help wondering if the signing of Ivan Sproule is to offset fans disappointment at losing Colin Nish

Or do I mean Derek Riordan?

...WentToMowAnSPL
18-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Delighted, for all his faults Ivan could turn a game and teams hate pace, something which we lack in most areas at the moment. Welcome home Ivan...
:thumbsup:
absolutely... !!! I can now change my signature to ... oh wait a minute :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
18-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm biased as he's one of my all time favourite (not best) players for Hibs. Great to have the wee man back. With a pre-season training behind him and with players like Vujadinovic of Aberdeen as his opponents he should be a good addition.

Bob Box Fish
18-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Welcome home son

ajay4hibs
18-05-2011, 05:43 PM
yeh what he said :aok:
total agree

brydekirk
18-05-2011, 05:50 PM
:agree:
We've missed two main things this season - pace and passion for the club. In my 16 years of watching Hibs, I don't think there's been a player with more of either. I am DELIGHTED. Welcome home Ivan. :flag:

3pm
18-05-2011, 06:05 PM
On a footballing level I am pleased we have made a swift signing. On the assumption he still has his pace and acceleration then he'll offer us something we don't have. We will also have an 'outball' now as well. He had the luxury of playing in a really good side when he was here - the teams he was part of were like Brazil 1970 in comparison to this bunch yet he was still 'hit or miss'. He wasn't a great player so my concern is that he is deemed to be the man to turn our fortunes round. I am sure he will come back a better player, more tactically astute and not as naïve as the chap who left. Still think it's too much for him to be the 'saviour'.

Regarding the board, fair play for moving fast but if this is the 'marquee' signing then you'll have a disgruntled group of fans. We need about another 07 or 8 to go with him. Don't play the fans as dummies, it won't work.

S.sct
18-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Ivan was better used as an impact player first time around. Never did that well starting but one thing he did was play for the jersey with passion in abundance.

If he still has his pace and has added a bit composure he'll do for me.

All the best wee man.:aok:

Westie1875
18-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I love Ivan Sproule, delighted he has come back home. :greengrin :flag:

For those that have doubts I recommend watching his interview on Hibs tv - he seems to have matured a fair bit.

R'Albin
18-05-2011, 06:48 PM
absolutely... !!! I can now change my signature to ... oh wait a minute :greengrin

Just thought I would change mine back to this:greengrin

CiderCity
18-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Alright Hibbees. Bristol City fan here to wish Ivan all the best.
When he came to us, he was the fastest thing we had ever seen and was (as mentioned earlier) a great impact player.
While Ivan scored some memorable goals for us (Leicester away was a belter!) I think he will be remembered as blindingly fast but not tactically aware enough.
A few fans down here likened him to Forrest Gump and there were times Ivan went flying off towards one end of our ground with defenders in his wake and we were glad the stands were there to stop him running straight out of the ground!
Overall, Ivan was really popular with our supporters and I am sure we all wish him well as he's a top, top man.
If he could get his head up a bit more often, he could be very good. I just wish he could have done it more often for us.
For those who are concerned he has lost some of his pace, don't be worried. He is still greased lightening!

All the best Ivan and thanks, always welcome back on the red side of Bristol.

hibee81
18-05-2011, 06:59 PM

Ivan has played in 119 games for bristol city since he left hibs and to me that works out on average 29 games a season, not to bad for a player that was playing semi professional football 4 years earlier (119 games at championship level, canny be that bad can it?)
Yes he might have lost pace but could rip the SPL apart with half the pace he had so for me its a good signing i hope he stays injury free though.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

stantonhibby
18-05-2011, 07:00 PM
When he came to us, he was the fastest thing we had ever seen and was (as mentioned earlier) a great impact player.
While Ivan scored some memorable goals for us (Leicester away was a belter!) I think he will be remembered as blindingly fast but not tactically aware enough.
A few fans down here likened him to Forrest Gump and there were times Ivan went flying off towards one end of our ground with defenders in his wake and we were glad the stands were there to stop him running straight out of the ground!
Overall, Ivan was really popular with our supporters and I am sure we all wish him well as he's a top, top man.
If he could get his head up a bit more often, he could be very good. I just wish he could have done it more often for us.
For those who are concerned he has lost some of his pace, don't be worried. He is still greased lightening!

cheers - i'll take that and what i've seen with my own eyes rather than ' he only got two games for Yeovil ' pash :greengrin

R'Albin
18-05-2011, 07:00 PM

Good to hear! Was that the goal where he basically ran the length of the pitch?

jonny
18-05-2011, 07:01 PM

Good post - some fair comments in there. :thumbsup:

MyJo
18-05-2011, 07:02 PM

Luvin' it, thats oor Ivan :thumbsup:

CiderCity
18-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Good to hear! Was that the goal where he basically ran the length of the pitch?

That was against Southampton at our place. He was travelling so bleeding quickly that he nearly fell over when he tried to stop to put the ball in the net!
The Leicester goal was a really emotional one. Ivan and his wife had tragically just lost a baby and it was his first game back and it was away from home. He picked up the ball wide right about half way into the Leicester half and proceeded to beat virtually the whole Leicester side before thumping the ball into the net. It would have been a great goal anyway but to do that after what had happened was simply staggering.
The mentioned goal sums up why I found Ivan so frustrating, one week he does the above and the next he had a mare.

Here it is..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8404896.stm

R'Albin
18-05-2011, 07:17 PM
That was against Southampton at our place. He was travelling so bleeding quickly that he nearly fell over when he tried to stop to put the ball in the net!
The Leicester goal was a really emotional one. Ivan and his wife had tragically just lost a baby and it was his first game back and it was away from home. He picked up the ball wide right about half way into the Leicester half and proceeded to beat virtually the whole Leicester side before thumping the ball into the net. It would have been a great goal anyway but to do that after what had happened was simply staggering.
The mentioned goal sums up why I found Ivan so frustrating, one week he does the above and the next he had a mare.

Here it is..

Wow that was outstanding! More of the same please:greengrin

erin go bragh
18-05-2011, 07:34 PM

cheers for taking the time to post and thanks for letting us know he still has his pace[hopefully shut up some of the doubters] "we all dream of a team of ivan sproules"
ggtth

The_Todd
18-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Welcome home Ivan, you've been missed. Badly.

zlatan
18-05-2011, 07:49 PM

Here it is..

I was there that night in the home end, hard trying to stay on my seat after he done that.

The other goals Brizzle scored that night weren't to bad either.

Sir David Gray
18-05-2011, 08:49 PM
I'd just like to say that I honestly couldn't care less if this signing has come from Rod Petrie, Colin Calderwood or Tam McCourt, I am delighted to hear that Ivan is coming back to Easter Road.

He's one of my favourite ever Hibs players and even if he has lost some of his pace in the past four years, I believe that he will add something to our squad.

This is just what we need to get some of the spark back within the crowd which has been sorely lacking for some time, funnily enough ever since Sproule left in '07.

Can't wait to see him back playing.

essexhibee
18-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Welcome to the board pal.

Great post there and as others have said some fair points. Whenever I've heard Ivan talked about in the press he is always highly thought of .

Btw cidercity...did the fans down there rate Paul hartley?

sleeping giant
18-05-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm pleased. Getting more pleased by the hour.
Can't wait to see him running at defenders next season:thumbsup:

This was a quote on the Bristol fans forum.....

"Right let's get back on track and say some thankyous and goodbyes to Ivan.

Thanks Ivan for always giving everything. You are the fastest thing on 2 legs that I have ever seen on a football pitch, (remember at a friendly at Swindon he was ten yards faster than anyone else at City on the warm-up across the width of the pitch!) even if your end product wasn't always as scintillating.

Thankyou for regularly putting the s**ts up any defence you played against.

Most of all thankyou for your solo wonder goal at Leicester the season before last, when you actually did what you had threatened to do since joining City. That one is logged away.

Love to you and your family I hope it works out for you at Hibs."

Whoohoo:thumbsup:

Roll on next season:hilarious

sesoim
18-05-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm pleased to see Sproule back. He probably got us an extra 10-12 points in 2005/06 (and a few more in 2006/07) with his pace. I don't think he will have the same impact this time, but he should be a useful option.

Now we just need a RB, two CBs, a LM, a goalscoring midfielder, two CFs.....

Criswell
18-05-2011, 10:53 PM
This signings got Petrie's pawmarks all over it. An absolute joke! A cheap populist-seeking sop. If Sproule loves Hibs so much and was such a great player first time round: why the hell was he ever sold at all!

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 11:03 PM
This signings got Petrie's pawmarks all over it. An absolute joke! A cheap populist-seeking sop. If Sproule loves Hibs so much and was such a great player first time round: why the hell was he ever sold at all!

Pish, pish and mair pish!

I'll only ask one or two questions as it's getting late. Even if this signing is a "Petrie signing", why is it so popular? Are the majority of the Hibs support (including myself) so gullible that we would accept a poor signing?

Criswell
18-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Pish, pish and mair pish!

I'll only ask one or two questions as it's getting late. Even if this signing is a "Petrie signing", why is it so popular? Are the majority of the Hibs support (including myself) so gullible that we would accept a poor signing?

I didn't say it was "popular" : I said it was populist-seeking.

Mon Dieu4
18-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Great news welcome home Ivan now lets get Murphy and Jones back :greengrin

Why would you want him back?, according to people on here he has no pace to make it at the top level, never mind being the best left back Ive seen play for us :wink:

Seriously Ivan gets a raw deal, you are talking about someone who came into the professional game 6 years later than most, in that time he scored a hatrick at Hunbrox and numerous other goals in vicories over both the OF, was outstanding in winning us a cup, topped the assist charts & scored more goals than Scott "the golden child" Brown in a season, Ivan remains the best £5,000 Hibs have ever spent in my lifetime and I am absolutely over the moon he is back. :not worth

Like him or loath him, he is an entertainer, a trier and really cares about the club, I cant wait to get off my seat when he goes on one of his mazy runs, He's here, he's there, he's every ****ing where..........

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 11:12 PM
I didn't say it was "popular" : I said it was populist-seeking.

Okay, I'll rephrase it.

The re-signing of Ivan is obviously very popular with the Hibs fans regardless of whether the signing was instigated by RP. Are we so gullible that we have been fooled into thinking this was a good signing?

snooky
18-05-2011, 11:25 PM
....Seriously Ivan gets a raw deal, you are talking about someone who came into the professional game 6 years later than most, in that time he scored a hatrick at Hunbrox and numerous other goals in vicories over both the OF, was outstanding in winning us a cup, topped the assist charts & scored more goals than Scott "the golden child" Brown in a season, Ivan remains the best £5,000 Hibs have ever spent in my lifetime and I am absolutely over the moon he is back. :not worth
Like him or loath him, he is an entertainer, a trier and really cares about the club, I cant wait to get off my seat when he goes on one of his mazy runs, He's here, he's there, he's every ****ing where..........

:top marks

CiderCity
18-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Welcome to the board pal.

Great post there and as others have said some fair points. Whenever I've heard Ivan talked about in the press he is always highly thought of .

Btw cidercity...did the fans down there rate Paul hartley?

Thanks for the welcome, I will keep popping back when I can.
Paul Hartley? Where do I start?
He was obviously a quality player in his day and didn't do anything wrong at our place while he was with us. His vision and distribution was very good but he didn't have the legs for a season in the Championship which is a bloody good league (not saying it's better than the SPL atall, I've never been to an SPL game).
we haven't replaced him and we did miss him but he did the right thing by moving back North due to family etc etc, it probably extended his career too!
If you know of a young version of Harts' please let us know as we need one.

magnificent_seven
18-05-2011, 11:32 PM

Utter nonsense.

SmokieJoe
19-05-2011, 12:25 AM
'Bout ye wee man, welcome home!

Septimus
19-05-2011, 07:05 AM
I don't need to read this thread to know that the return of Ivan is a retrograde step which will do nothing to improve the club.

heretoday
19-05-2011, 07:47 AM
I don't need to read this thread to know that the return of Ivan is a retrograde step which will do nothing to improve the club.

Apart from rallying a depressed support and providing a bit of speed up front.

I'd say it was a master stroke.

southern hibby
19-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Cider City,

I work in Bristol (Winterstoke Road) so if you want to meet up one night for a pint next season then PM Me. We could go and watch a HIBS game in the Robins or Walkabouts up the town as they put the Scottish football on with the English games at the same time.

We can watch IVAN Rip the SFL a new one:agree:

Anyway the offers there.

Stevie Reid
19-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Let's face it, we've signed a player from the English Championship who is hitting his peak years, and most importantly (as was thankfully and kindly been pointed out by CiderCity), he still has his most important attribute.

Many folk on here have raved about Chris Humphrey at Motherwell, a guy who has caused many defences (ours included) some torrid times in the SPL this season - I would say he's very similar to Ivan, can go past people for fun but the end product doesn't match the rest. For the record, Humphrey played 76 games in 3 years for Shrewsbury before being loaned out to the mighty Stafford Rangers, then signed for Motherwell.

Some people on here have stated that if his name wasn't Ivan Sproule then we wouldn't be getting excited - I would argue that if his name wasn't Ivan Sproule but we were told his attributes and that he had played 119 games for a Championship side (including a play off final) in the last 4 years, the doubters would possibly have a different opinion.

That said, as others have said before me, the reaction of many to this signing is probably more indicative of the general feeling towards the club, and to an extent that is understandable. However, many on here laughed at the Jambos when they had a 100 pager when they thought that Hartley was returning, and their excitement at the return of Skacel - are those two better players than Ivan? Undoubtedly, but that doesn't mean he can't give ER a big lift, and it would be nice if we were more welcoming, as opposed to the luke warm reacton permeating much of the last few pages.

Pace and an eye for goal can go a long way in the SPL, and Ivan has both - add to that a huge desire and love for the club and what are we complaining about? Guys like Suso, with limited technical ability and practically zero finesse, have caused us major bother in the past, there's no reason why Ivan can't have a big impact for us.

It's already an unbelievably depressing time for all of us (particularly those of us who committed to buying an ST prior to the disasterous bottom 6 matches), but I am very happy with this signing. Plus, now that Goncalves is no longer around, hopefully he can have more of an impact against the Jambos this time.

JimBHibees
19-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Let's face it, we've signed a player from the English Championship who is hitting his peak years, and most importantly (as was thankfully and kindly been pointed out by CiderCity), he still has his most important attribute.

Many folk on here have raved about Chris Humphrey at Motherwell, a guy who has caused many defences (ours included) some torrid times in the SPL this season - I would say he's very similar to Ivan, can go past people for fun but the end product doesn't match the rest. For the record, Humphrey played 76 games in 3 years for Shrewsbury before being loaned out to the mighty Stafford Rangers, then signed for Motherwell.

Some people on here have stated that if his name wasn't Ivan Sproule then we wouldn't be getting excited - I would argue that if his name wasn't Ivan Sproule but we were told his attributes and that he had played 119 games for a Championship side (including a play off final) in the last 4 years, the doubters would possibly have a different opinion.

That said, as others have said before me, the reaction of many to this signing is probably more indicative of the general feeling towards the club, and to an extent that is understandable. However, many on here laughed at the Jambos when they had a 100 pager when they thought that Hartley was returning, and their excitement at the return of Skacel - are those two better players than Ivan? Undoubtedly, but that doesn't mean he can't give ER a big lift, and it would be nice if we were more welcoming, as opposed to the luke warm reacton permeating much of the last few pages.

Pace and an eye for goal can go a long way in the SPL, and Ivan has both - add to that a huge desire and love for the club and what are we complaining about? Guys like Suso, with limited technical ability and practically zero finesse, have caused us major bother in the past, there's no reason why Ivan can't have a big impact for us.

It's already an unbelievably depressing time for all of us (particularly those of us who committed to buying an ST prior to the disasterous bottom 6 matches), but I am very happy with this signing. Plus, now that Goncalves is no longer around, hopefully he can have more of an impact against the Jambos this time.

Great post totally agree. Personally think he will be a revelation in the SPL next year.

essexhibee
19-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the welcome, I will keep popping back when I can.
Paul Hartley? Where do I start?
He was obviously a quality player in his day and didn't do anything wrong at our place while he was with us. His vision and distribution was very good but he didn't have the legs for a season in the Championship which is a bloody good league (not saying it's better than the SPL atall, I've never been to an SPL game).
we haven't replaced him and we did miss him but he did the right thing by moving back North due to family etc etc, it probably extended his career too!
If you know of a young version of Harts' please let us know as we need one.

I would say the majority of the championship bar the bottom end is better than the spl. I really enjoyed watching the championship over the last few seasons...decent standard of football and the league is always competitive. Like also not knowing all the players so its always an interesting watch.

Baldy Foghorn
19-05-2011, 11:36 AM
That's irrelevant. Ivan played 26 games during 2010. What exactly is wrong with that?

says on Bristol City website that in 2011 he started 11 games and came off the bench 8 times....

Previous season 9 starts, 22 from off the bench