PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Stokes

SouthMoroccoStu
17-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Heard he could be coming back

Thought it was rubbish

Might be something in it now

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3584457/Stokes-binned-after-hotel-bust-up.html

Would take him back. His skills not attitude

GGTTH

hibiedude
17-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Have to agree i'd take him back in heart beat but top goalscorers cost Money and he's well out of our range.

Its not a suprise he's fell out with his manager because first team football is becoming less and less, and I think his dad was right when he said a while ago his son would be leaving this summer due to a lack of first team action.

Prawn Sandwich
17-05-2011, 06:18 AM
He has form at every club he has been with. CC shouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Hibs need to build a team not a disruptive bunch of individuals.

Beefster
17-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Way too good for Hibs unfortunately. Plus we wouldn't want to upset the 'top' talent at the club who have taken us to the heady heights of tenth by taking a decent player in.

Barney McGrew
17-05-2011, 06:32 AM
His attitude was part of the reason we punted him to Celtc in the first place so I doubt we'll be rushing to take him back again.

Danderhall Hibs
17-05-2011, 06:35 AM
His attitude was part of the reason we punted him to Celtc in the first place so I doubt we'll be rushing to take him back again.

That's not what Yogi said. He thought he was getting the cash to use on the squad. He said that if he had known he'd get the sack a few games later he'd never have agreed to selling him.

No mention of his attitude - that stuff's all came out of the AGM and the off the record comments made then. And they've worked as it's all being taken as fact now.

Brizo
17-05-2011, 06:52 AM
That's not what Yogi said. He thought he was getting the cash to use on the squad. He said that if he had known he'd get the sack a few games later he'd never have agreed to selling him.

No mention of his attitude - that stuff's all came out of the AGM and the off the record comments made then. And they've worked as it's all being taken as fact now.

I guess it depends on who you believe. I wouldnt take anything Yogi says as gospel but thats just my opinion. There were enough stories coming out way before the AGM, many of them direct from the dressing room regarding his "attitude".

Lets just say I wouldnt bet on him coming back to ER.

Kaiser1962
17-05-2011, 07:09 AM

What Yogi said before and after he left changed dramatically. He had already identified Duffy and, as I understand it, if Duffy wasnt going to join Stokes was going nowhere. It was Yogi's decision although Stokes would have been practically unmanageable had he not been allowed to go. He also didnt leave himself much time as we were at the end of the transfer window anyway. I like Yogi and am dissapointed things didnt work out for him but he should shut up now and retain what little dignity he has left.

Its not going to happen but, for what it's worth, I reckon CC could handle him. There would only be one winner.

essexhibee
17-05-2011, 07:10 AM
No way petrie would have him back and if its true o'Connor was caught with drugs then he won't be coming back either.

J-C
17-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Scores goals for fun but causes unrest in the dressing room, erm no ta.

Baldy Foghorn
17-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Absolutely NO chance of him returning.... He was left go because of his off the field antics and the Board would not want a repeat of that....Good player, but involved in far too much off the field

Jones28
17-05-2011, 08:27 AM
19 goals in a broken season where he hasn't been playing every game.

Would take him back in a heartbeat, 2 year deal and sell him south for big money.

I could see him scoring fifty goals in that time, the form he's in :agree:

SouthMoroccoStu
17-05-2011, 09:32 AM
19 goals in a broken season where he hasn't been playing every game.

Would take him back in a heartbeat, 2 year deal and sell him south for big money.

I could see him scoring fifty goals in that time, the form he's in :agree:

Thats my thoughts on the subject

Albion Hibs
17-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Dont think there is any chance in hell he will be coming back to Hibs, regardless of how much trouble he may or may not cause.

He has done very well in his first season through there, if they dont want to keep him, which would suprise me, I would think he could quite easily get a team in the lower part of the premiership.

number 27
17-05-2011, 10:43 AM
The Sun story may be correct but i'm certain that I saw Stokes and Lennon together on Sunday night and they seemed fine with each other.

banchoryhibs
17-05-2011, 10:49 AM
If we're to get over the disaster that was this season CC needs to build a team where players pull together - Stokes does not fit this bill, he's a loose cannon at the best of times if stories about his behavior are correct.
No thanks :bitchy:

Hibs90
17-05-2011, 10:53 AM
How we have missed his goals this season :agree:

Dr Jimmy
17-05-2011, 10:58 AM
**** me, we are a football club and he is an excellent footballer, end of.
People on here seem to wet their pants if someone dares to make a mistake in their personal life or heaven forbid do not conform to the "Hibs way".
There are plenty of good and even great players who cannot/could not behave...George Best, Diego Marradona, Samuel E'too, to name but a few!!!
We could even apply "bad boy" status to Russel Latapy, but god knows how much we would love to have someone like that back in the team.

People need to get off their morale high horse and understand that these are guys who do their job very well, but maybe not stand a chance of a knighthood for services to the community!

By the way I don't think we will get him anyway.

Albion Hibs
17-05-2011, 11:10 AM
People on here seem to wet their pants if someone dares to make a mistake in their personal life or heaven forbid do not conform to the "Hibs way".
There are plenty of good and even great players who cannot/could not behave...George Best, Diego Marradona, Samuel E'too, to name but a few!!!
We could even apply "bad boy" status to Russel Latapy, but god knows how much we would love to have someone like that back in the team.

People need to get off their morale high horse and understand that these are guys who do their job very well, but maybe not stand a chance of a knighthood for services to the community!

Agreed.

Whilst you would rather our players were professional off the pitch I dont pay season ticket money so that they tip in Lulu and say please and thanks to taxi drivers. Put another way would eveyone take a team of stokes if we won the league and scottish cup? For sure you would.

In any event I do not see him taking a step back to hibs in a million years.

hibsbollah
17-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Great post. The self righteous tripe gets right on my thrupennys sometimes. He scores goals. Tell the younger players not to lend him any money or go to the bookies with him and the problens solved; its not difficult.

RIP
17-05-2011, 11:26 AM
George Best, Paul Gasgoine, Anthony Stokes, Gary O'Connor

They may be footballers but are just as succeptible to the same ailments as the rest of us.

Big money probably makes them more succeptible

That's why I am so delighted with Derek. Fair do's he hasn't been firing on all cylinders (Saturday apart) but he looks much fitter, disciplined and clean cut than in previous seasons. The off-field behaviour that plagued him for years is now a thing of the past. He's in a relationship and a father. Good to see

brydekirk
17-05-2011, 11:28 AM
:agree:
He has form at every club he has been with. CC shouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Hibs need to build a team not a disruptive bunch of individuals.

sixtwo
17-05-2011, 11:36 AM
He is a quality striker with a crap attitude. He probably will move on but he won't come back to us. Wouldn't be surprised to see him or o'connor (maybe both) turn up at hearts. They are the only scottish team willing to spend the amount they would demand in wages.

Phil MaGlass
17-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Proven goalscorer take him straight away, after a firm talking to of course :greengrin, why would we not be able to get him? were cutting our pool of players, wages will be freed up???

CmoantheHibs
17-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Its not even a Hibs story as such given that its just another supporter saying "heard he is coming back".Another text from a mate???
There is no mention of a return to Hibs in the article.Whether it has any credibility coming from the sun is dubious anyway.
He was a Hibs player who was apparently moved on due to his bad habits and
disruptive qualities.He may or not be leaving celtic but Im almost certain he isnt coming back here(based on instinct alone and absolutely no inside info whatsoever).Whether we as supporters would want him back or the club would take him back ,if the stories of his previous behavior are true, are seperate issues.
Personally as far as the playing side of things go Id have him back for sure.If this ever becomes a resigning issue I will trust and support the judgement of the more knowledgeable people within the club to make the right decision and hope they get it right this time:greengrin

Andy74
17-05-2011, 12:22 PM
How come when we had disruptive players we ended up 4th?

greenlex
17-05-2011, 01:33 PM

If he wasn't disruptive maybe we could have finished third or even second or even..............
Maybe his influence has hindered younger players developing. There weren't many if that double winning under 19 side that made it. Who knows?

Broken Gnome
17-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Which maybe came to the fore during the lengthy spell of rubbish that was the final three months of the season? Maybe that attitude prevented a better recovery? MAYBE..... it cost us the Scottish Cup???

ancient hibee
17-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Stokes is ok in the SPL-not up to it anywhere else.

.Sean.
17-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Stokes is ok in the SPL-not up to it anywhere else.
Well we do play in the SPL, so... :greengrin

ancient hibee
17-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Well we do play in the SPL, so... :greengrin
At the moment.:greengrin

The reason I said that is because I think his sell on value down south is pretty close to nil.

The_Todd
17-05-2011, 05:52 PM
We couldn't afford him - either fee or wages. Nice pipe dream, let's move on.

SmokieJoe
17-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Would be silly not to take him back if the oppertunity arose me thinks.

Jim44
17-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Under what circumstances could he arrive back on our doorstep? He might be a nutter and of undesirable character but his career isn't on the decline yet.

Malthibby
17-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Let's take Mr. O'C & Stokes back. A front white line like that is not to be sniffed at......

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-05-2011, 08:20 PM
This boy is no further than one weekend and one Sunday paper away from his next lurid story. We couldn't afford to have him back and then not be in a position to be able to drop him. I would rather he rotted away at Darkheid eating up their resources.

WindyMiller
17-05-2011, 08:54 PM
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/249396-anthony-stokes-father-arrested-again-in-real-ira-inquiry/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/05/14/father-of-celtic-star-anthony-stokes-accused-of-threats-to-rival-pub-bosses-86908-23129442/

Not for me , thanks.:aok:

greenlex
17-05-2011, 10:02 PM
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/249396-anthony-stokes-father-arrested-again-in-real-ira-inquiry/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/05/14/father-of-celtic-star-anthony-stokes-accused-of-threats-to-rival-pub-bosses-86908-23129442/

Are you saying we shouldn't sign him because his father appears to be a dick?

Beefster
18-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Are you saying we shouldn't sign him because his father appears to be a dick?

All the top clubs check a player's family, up to second cousin twice removed. I think all employers should do it.

"I'm sorry Mr Beefster but we're having to withdraw our offer of employment. We've just discovered that your Great Auntie Mima was married to seven different folk at once, including two women."

Hibernia Na Eir
18-05-2011, 06:38 AM
A fine Irishman. Take him back in the skip of dandy leprechaun! Great finisher and proven talent.

Kaiser1962
18-05-2011, 07:11 AM
A fine Irishman. Take him back in the skip of dandy leprechaun! Great finisher and proven talent.

We were going downhill at great speed long before he left.

hibiedude
18-05-2011, 07:16 AM

We're don't want to sign his Dad :confused:

AndersonGGTTH
18-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Let's take Mr. O'C & Stokes back. A front white line like that is not to be sniffed at......

:top marks:faf::faf::faf:

Dinkydoo
18-05-2011, 12:02 PM
No thanks.

His attitude is rotten and let's face it, he belongs at Celtic.

DCI Gene Hunt
18-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Hmm, think someone's talking keech. Cannot for the life of me see Stokes returning to ER. Why would he want to when he wanted to leave so badly? Why would he take a big wage cut? Why would he return to Hibs considering our current poor form? Why would anyone consider anything in The Sun as being truth? Too many questions with obvious answers.

Didn't exactly want to hang around ER when The Smellies became interested. Can't say his family's recent behaviour is desireable - yes it's not him personally but I wouldn't want a player in the team I support associated with that. Just my view.

G

.Sean.
18-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I can't believe that this thread has ran into a second page.

Anthony Stokes. 19 goals for the Celtic. On the move. Back to Hibs. What a load of garbage.

SmokieJoe
19-05-2011, 02:14 AM
I can't believe that this thread has ran into a second page.

Anthony Stokes. 19 goals for the Celtic. On the move. Back to Hibs. What a load of garbage.

In the words of the great football prophet, you are probibly right, but as long as doubt and the5% chance remain, there is hope.

AndersonGGTTH
19-05-2011, 09:04 AM
In the words of the great football prophet, you are probibly right, but as long as doubt and the5% chance remain, there is hope.

There are some people that still have some encouragement installed in themselves thank god !:agree::not worth

basehibby
19-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Heard he could be coming back

Thought it was rubbish

Might be something in it now

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3584457/Stokes-binned-after-hotel-bust-up.html

Would take him back. His skills not attitude

GGTTH

I would have him back nae problem!

But shurely this doesn't follow the script -

Hibs player moves to Rantic
Player falls out of favour
Dumb ersed english club with more money than sense coughs up twice the original fee to take him daan saff.

So - nah - it'll never happen - next thing someone will be saying the SFA are getting tough on Rantic sectarianism :rolleyes:

hibee_95
19-05-2011, 09:25 PM
why are most of the transfer rumours about old players going back.http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/confused2.gif

Aubenas
19-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Translation: Agent fears Sellick may let Stokes go; leaks rumours to start 'bidding war'.

Outcome: No club with any sense goes near him, given his dressing room influence and poor attitude.

Captain Trips
19-05-2011, 10:45 PM
If he has any influence on groups of players it says more about their mentality than his, probaly why this meek squad has finished 10th.

40 games 22 goals is an influence I like as what infuence has been left behind on the park? How to wear clownshoes me thinks after this seasons efforts.

ForrieGreen
19-05-2011, 11:44 PM
defo take him back because we need some one who can burst the net and win us games unlike some of them at the moment, couldn't care what he gets up to off the pitch as long as he plays well.
Saying all this though its not going to happen unfortunately :(

whiskyhibby
20-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Rod made it abundantly clear at the AGM, we did not have to sell Stokes but chose to do so under circumstances which required 'reading between the lines', the resulting issue with his father perhaps sheds some light on this.

Due to this under what circumstances would Rod want Stokes back.............?

Ernie Cobra
20-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Rod made it abundantly clear at the AGM, we did not have to sell Stokes but chose to do so under circumstances which required 'reading between the lines', the resulting issue with his father perhaps sheds some light on this.

Due to this under what circumstances would Rod want Stokes back.............?

CORRECT! Done, finito, end of...thread closed!

3pm
20-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I see his Dad's boozer made it on to 'Have I Got News For You'. Tit.

HibsMax
20-05-2011, 08:59 PM
I would have him back IF AND ONLY IF there was some sort of verbiage in the contract that ensured he would be punished severely if he screwed things up like has been reported before. But I find myself asking this question, "Why would he join Hibs only to upset the apple cart?". That doesn't make sense to me. So maybe if he did accept a short-term move back to Hibs (as a chance to rebuild his reputation) things might be better second time around? Or not, who knows?

Difficult players can be managed. The Patriots showed that with Corey Dillon and Randy Moss. The key for the team is to stand firm and not let players dictate the rules to them. If they try it, they're punted.

If Stokes wants to continue to play at the top level then he has to reconcile the demons inside. Otherwise nobody will touch him.

And what a better place for this exorcism than Easter Road? :D

What's the old saying? Oh yeah. Everyone deserves a second chance. :wink:

R'Albin
20-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Is this a strong strong rumour?:greengrin

son of haggart
21-05-2011, 05:45 AM
Is this a strong strong rumour?:greengrin

I think it's a new category - A class A rumour, along with O'Connor and Ian Black

sesoim
22-05-2011, 04:14 AM

Sadly, how often do we have a good player at the club now who ISN'T disruptive?

It seems to typify the spoilt (and rather stupid) nature of footballers nowdays that the minute they think they are too good for a team, they start mucking them about.

Personally, I WOULD take Stokes back, but there is no way we could get near to matching his current wages.

Brooster
22-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Stokes was in the vicinity of east mains last week. I have a photo ti prove it.

soupy
22-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Stokes was in the vicinity of east mains last week. I have a photo ti prove it.

How can you prove the photy was taken last week? :)

Brooster
22-05-2011, 07:19 AM
How can you prove the photy was taken last week? :)

Lol you have me on that one mate, you will just have to take my word for it. Monday 9th May is the exact date in fact.

lyonhibs
22-05-2011, 07:50 AM
I think it's a new category - A class A rumour, along with O'Connor and Ian Black

Along with Messrs Black and Ogleby, lest we forget :greengrin Mercifully we're not being linked to either of them!!

As mentioned above, I'd take him back on the proviso that poor attitude at training/in the dressing room was punished financially - I'm not really that bothered about his apparent attitude problem in clubs etc.

It won't happen though, and - all things considered - it would be better for Hibs and Stokes if it stayed that way.