PDA

View Full Version : Gloryhunters

sunshine1875
16-05-2011, 06:45 PM
I annoyed a couple of Huns, who made public their support of the once famous Glasgow Rangers team. They did not like me referring to them as 'gloryhunters', saying they supported them since they were a kid. Aye, it must have been difficult choosing which team to support in the Kingdom of Fife. Let me see a team that spends its time yo-yoing between the top and second top division or a team that wins the league regularly.

One says, but my dad was a Rangers supporter. Aye, he was a gloryhunter too. Certainly shut them up.

I have said to Infirm fans that unless they were brought up or now reside less than 15 miles from Glasgow then they are all gloryhunters in my opinion and hence their views on football are irrelevant. I have more respect for the real fans that support Raith, the Pars, Falkirk and even Hertz than I do for these gloryhunters.

Anyone else have similar issues with the gloryhunters.

CallumLaidlaw
16-05-2011, 06:47 PM
I annoyed a couple of Huns, who made public their support of the once famous Glasgow Rangers team. They did not like me referring to them as 'gloryhunters', saying they supported them since they were a kid. Aye, it must have been difficult choosing which team to support in the Kingdom of Fife. Let me see a team that spends its time yo-yoing between the top and second top division or a team that wins the league regularly.

One says, but my dad was a Rangers supporter. Aye, he was a gloryhunter too. Certainly shut them up.

I have said to Infirm fans that unless they were brought up or now reside less than 15 miles from Glasgow then they are all gloryhunters in my opinion and hence their views on football are irrelevant. I have more respect for the real fans that support Raith, the Pars, Falkirk and even Hertz than I do for these gloryhunters.

100%
especially the ones that have never been to ibrox or parkhead in their lives

The_Sauz
16-05-2011, 06:50 PM

All the time, although I don't have a problem if they actually go to games every-week, but it's the ones who don't even know were Ibrox/Parkhead is in Glasgow that do my nut in :agree:

Levenhibee
16-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Yep Glory hunters indeed. I've seen Celtic and Rangers supporters buses leaving the Levenmouth area and the Local pubs are full of the vermin when the games are live on Sky.

Mind you they do Scotland proud on their trips abroad.:whistle:

son of haggart
16-05-2011, 06:56 PM
I have other things to concern myself with really than who supports what team given their postcode.

Carrots for instance, losing flavour in my opinion.

Orange b%^&&&^S

oops, wrong way round...:wink:

It's hydroponics and supermarkets to blame for the taste of your carrots.

But I agree 100% with the OP, though it is hard to see what can be done about it, as it is simply part of the viscious circle of success breeding success and clique supporting the maintenance of that success.

lapsedhibee
16-05-2011, 06:59 PM
I annoyed a couple of Huns

:thumbsup: Well done. And go for three or four next time. :agree:

Ray_
16-05-2011, 07:02 PM

My two sons were born 460 miles away from ER & have never lived in Scotland, let alone Edinburgh & they support Hibs, they are certainly not glory hunters, although insane would be a more apt description :greengrin

Steve20
16-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Why do people care who other people support? People should be allowed to support who they want, no matter where they live.

steakbake
16-05-2011, 07:03 PM
One answer might be...free tickets for local school kids... reduced tickets for local residents/families... more involvement with formal and informal youth football, kids sports and kids activities in the local area... but with the imperative of keeping up in financial terms, clubs just don't have the cash to attract local kids into their fold.

With the stadium more or less half empty on any given match day, Hibs ain't going to lose money by dishing out free entry to kids and teenagers. Engagement is the way forward.

Many of us have been supporting Hibs for a fair length of time, despite everything (we are fools). I reckon the answer is getting the kids in, getting them passionate about the club. Some will drift to become glory hunters but we'd attract far more than we'd lose.

CallumLaidlaw
16-05-2011, 07:09 PM
It isn't easy trying to get your kids to follow your team when theyre not doing very well. Especially when all there school friends go on about celtic and rangers. Sitting in front of the singing section recently has made him more interested tho.

I work in a large office in rosyth and there is no more than half a dozen pars fans, a raith fan, a couple of hibs fans, a hearts fan, and the rest are rangers and Celtic fans. And I know of 1 of them that goes to games

Antifa Hibs
16-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Are Hibbys and Jambo's from the likes of Livingston and Dunfermline gloryhunters? genuine question...

Thigh ar la
16-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah I reckon its ok to be a Hibs fan wherever you come from because you aint doing it for the glory - thats for sure! Most of us remember our first game and how much of an effect and influence that had on us. I agree that the club should concentrate on that ´introduction´ and who knows how many kids will get the bug? i know that I started watching them in the early 80´s when things went a bit ´pear shaped´ on the field but I didnt care because I fell in love straight away!
:flag:

hibsbollah
16-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Are Hibbys and Jambo's from the likes of Livingston and Dunfermline gloryhunters? genuine question...

Obviously not because neither team regularly wins anything.

IWasThere2016
16-05-2011, 07:55 PM
It isn't easy trying to get your kids to follow your team when theyre not doing very well. Especially when all there school friends go on about celtic and rangers. Sitting in front of the singing section recently has made him more interested tho.

I work in a large office in rosyth and there is no more than half a dozen pars fans, a raith fan, a couple of hibs fans, a hearts fan, and the rest are rangers and Celtic fans. And I know of 1 of them that goes to games

It is encouraging to see most locally here are Arabs/Dees fans - although there's plenty OF also :grr:

My wee lad is an Arab despite my best efforts to convert him to the Hibs - but they've been better than us, won the SC, regularly give the local schools free tickets, peer pressure, training seesions at local schools etc.

IWasThere2016
16-05-2011, 07:58 PM
One answer might be...free tickets for local school kids... reduced tickets for local residents/families... more involvement with formal and informal youth football, kids sports and kids activities in the local area... but with the imperative of keeping up in financial terms, clubs just don't have the cash to attract local kids into their fold.

With the stadium more or less half empty on any given match day, Hibs ain't going to lose money by dishing out free entry to kids and teenagers. Engagement is the way forward.

Many of us have been supporting Hibs for a fair length of time, despite everything (we are fools). I reckon the answer is getting the kids in, getting them passionate about the club. Some will drift to become glory hunters but we'd attract far more than we'd lose.

Said same months and months ago and this should have been the priority long before we built the East.

steakbake
16-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Said same months and months ago and this should have been the priority long before we built the East.

Two visionaries on hibs.net? Surely not... :wink:

Hibernian Verse
16-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Can we have an uberfan debate?

PRETTY PLEASE?!?!?!

:na na:

IWasThere2016
16-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Two visionaries on hibs.net? Surely not... :wink:

Just need to take one's vision off the Balance Sheet noo and again :wink:

There was never any need for the East without building the fan base IMO.

lyonhibs
16-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Why do people care who other people support? People should be allowed to support who they want, no matter where they live.

:agree::agree:

Thought it was just me. I used to fully sign up to this "Glory Hunting bassa" viewpoint, but if you're of my generation, when you're growing up and impressionable, which teams were always winning and in the news etc??

Rangers and Celtc. Now, if you didn't have a Dad/Uncle (or in my case, close friend of the family) who supported the local team to take you along and get you hooked, it's very easy to see how people from outwith Glasgow end up supporting the OF.

When you're 6/7, all other things being equal, you want to support the team that's winning.

givescotlandfreedom
16-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I tend the find that the types the OP mentions (particularly those who don't even go to games) tend to be extremely opinionated (always talk pish too) and consider themselves "huge fans despite doing nothing other than slag you after they've beaten us and spraff crap on Facebook etc. They can often also be found wearing tops of other successful European clubs too.

greenginger
16-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I remember back in the 60's playing football in the local park we were all Hibs or Hearts supporters. Then one lad who had been a Hearts supporter turned up in the full Rangers kit saying he was now a Rangers supporter because they were top of the league.
About 8 months later he had a Celtic strip on because they had gone top. He got ridiculed so much he stopped joining our bounce games.

That's what glory hunters need - being laughed at, they are all trying to cover up for some inferiority complex or another.

Shyness, Small dicks, Allergy to soap any others ? :greengrin:greengrin

.Sean.
16-05-2011, 09:41 PM
As if :rolleyes:

You've got to support a good team to be deemed a 'gloryhunter' :devil:

In all seriousness, I pay no attention to the pub-dwelling blethers who follow the Old Firm. They are typically fat, balding, single, thirty-something knobs with chips on their shoulders in my experience. I honestly do not understand how some folk can buy a top, not attend any games, watch 'their team' on the tele yet celebrate like they are some sort of first-class supporter when the team they 'support' win some silverwear. It's pretty sad watching them actually.

Sodje_18
16-05-2011, 09:49 PM
They piss me off, there cocky *******s even though I watch their team more times per season than they do. I live in livingston and the amount of OF fans here is ridiculous, the main reason I believe the local team were relgated, following one of the bigot brothers for success rather than there local team (probably should mention I was born in Pilton :greengrin moved to livi a couple years ago).

Lofarl
16-05-2011, 09:59 PM
It does beg the question though. What if in the close season some super rich oil sheik buys Hibs and starts throwing crazy money at the squad. Our ranks would certainly then be on the up due to the world cup stars on show etc.

Then if our team of Messi and co start winning everything cup shaped, would you welcome the gloryhunters that came with it? Would you look down upon these new fans or welcome them to the support.

Sodje_18
16-05-2011, 10:01 PM
It does beg the question though. What if in the close season some super rich oil sheik buys Hibs and starts throwing crazy money at the squad. Our ranks would certainly then be on the up due to the world cup stars on show etc.

Then if our team of Messi and co start winning everything cup shaped, would you welcome the gloryhunters that came with it? Would you look down upon these new fans or welcome them to the support.

Depends how loyal they are, my guess is not very. If that was the case then I'd defo look down on them.

SteveHFC
16-05-2011, 11:03 PM
There are a few Gloryhunters in the Dalkeith area that follow the Old Firm.

Ryan69
16-05-2011, 11:25 PM

Id say that if you keep thinking like that,and stating what you did....We better call an ambulance now!

You dont know:
where they were born.
where they were brought up.
who their family are.
From what you say...maybe make the effort to go there each week!

I could go on and on and on and on and on.

I dont like Edinburgh Rangers/Celtic supporting buffons either....but seeing their teams celebratory fans and interiguating them like that. If I was them.....You wouldnt exactly be a friend!

Ryan69
16-05-2011, 11:32 PM
"quote" I have more respect for the real fans that support Raith, the Pars, Falkirk and even Hertz than I do for these gloryhunters

In your way of thinking too...They are gloryhunters!

They yoyo between leagues and win things regularly....granted it is usually the season after relegation whether it be the league or challenge cup.
:smokin I live in Holland......lol

sparky
17-05-2011, 01:54 AM

I agree 100%, people have the right to support whichever team they choose.:aok:

And we have the right to call them gloryhunters if that is what they are.

Incidentally growing up in the 80s I know a few central belt folk who still support Aberdeen and Dundee Utd despite a lack of connections to either city. I would call them former gloryhunters.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-05-2011, 05:25 AM
I agree 100%, people have the right to support whichever team they choose.:oak:
And we have the right to call them gloryhunters if that is what they are.

Incidentally growing up in the 80s I know a few central belt folk who still support Aberdeen and Dundee Utd despite a lack of connections to either city. I would call them former gloryhunters.

I know of two such folks and they happen to be Jewish fed up with the sectarianism so I think you can't always lump folks together

hibbiedon
17-05-2011, 09:23 AM

In fairness not all are gloryhunters some are just bigots, either way they are killing football in Scotland, if everyone only followed their example we would only have two teams left

Alex Trager
17-05-2011, 10:09 AM
100%
especially the ones that have never been to ibrox or parkhead in their lives
but just as much the ones that go to they places, they fund the two teams, take the glory hunters away and you'd see a massive drop in attendances at the two stadiums and see all the other teams attendances rise

LancashireHibby
17-05-2011, 10:12 AM
but just as much the ones that go to they places, they fund the two teams, take the glory hunters away and you'd see a massive drop in attendances at the two stadiums and see all the other teams attendances rise

I can see where you're coming from, but personally I'd rather keep the type of people who follow RanTic in the same place where we know where they are rather than risk them soiling every other club!

Alex Trager
17-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I can see where you're coming from, but personally I'd rather keep the type of people who follow RanTic in the same place where we know where they are rather than risk them soiling every other club!
i suppose but maybe if they had never supported either then they wouldnt soil them, personally i think it would be brilliant having a full away end at easter road and the people being st mirren fans

LancashireHibby
17-05-2011, 10:38 AM
i suppose but maybe if they had never supported either then they wouldnt soil them, personally i think it would be brilliant having a full away end at easter road and the people being st mirren fans

Very true. Would reinforce the theory that their 'beliefs' are picked up as it seems to be the way of those who they associate with rather than always thinking that way.

Chuck Rhoades
17-05-2011, 11:15 AM
My Mums side of the family are all Celtic fans; my Dads side are all Rangers fans. None of the family attends any games. All glory hunters IMO...

I am the only Hibs fan in what is quite a large family.

Reason, lived five minutes away from Easter Road until I was 8. The majority of people in my primary class were Hibs fans, so I followed suit. Moved to the West of Edinburgh and started going to Hibs matches when I was 13, been a ST holder ever since.

Still the only Hibs fans in my family, although my Mum watches out for our scores ever since we signed Rob Jones . Strange attraction.

Tried to persuade my Nephew, who is 7, to become a Hibs fan, but as his old man "likes" Hearts hes not allowed. As soon as I offered to take him to the games, buy him a ST, my brother-in-law bought him a Hearts strip. Very convenient! Shame for the laddy, as he just wants to go and watch anybody play football just now!

I will win him over eventually!

Alex Trager
17-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Very true. Would reinforce the theory that their 'beliefs' are picked up as it seems to be the way of those who they associate with rather than always thinking that way.
I could confirm this on my own. Everyone that turns- they never are one at first- to be one of them pick their beliefs up