PDA

View Full Version : Calderwoods Turkeys calling for Christmas?

Spike Mandela
16-05-2011, 11:23 AM
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/football/Hibs-Calderwood-calls-for-thrill.6769088.jp

iwasthere1972
16-05-2011, 11:35 AM
What a load of tosh.

The crowds will be there if we are playing attractive football and competing for, dare I say it, third place in the league. I wouldn't want us to be risking our SPL status in play-offs just to attract more bums through the turnstiles for a couple or a few games.

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Real fitba folk know what he means.

Future17
16-05-2011, 12:21 PM
I think play-offs would be a good idea, although never likely to happen.

I'd like to see a English-style play-off for 2nd place between the teams who finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th as well as a Scottish lower leagues style relegation play-off involving the team who finish 2nd bottom plus 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the First Division.

Having said that, to make it truly worth bothering about, the league size would have to increase to around 16 teams which, although I'd also like to see happening, is realistically never going to.

iwasthere1972
16-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Real fitba folk know what he means.

In our case play offs are fine if it was an opportunity to advance a division but as it stands at the moment (and things could change pretty soon :wink:) we would only be trying to save our SPL status if we were part of them.

Real fitba folk know that too. :greengrin

Haymaker
16-05-2011, 12:29 PM
I hate the playoff system in England, a team in 6th simply does not deserve to be promoted above the team in 3rd. They obviously have not been as good during the season and dont deserve promotion.

11th SPL playing 2nd in SL1 would be interesting however.

Speedway
16-05-2011, 12:36 PM
What a load of tosh.

The crowds will be there if we are playing attractive football and competing for, dare I say it, third place in the league. I wouldn't want us to be risking our SPL status in play-offs just to attract more bums through the turnstiles for a couple or a few games.

Absolutely right.

Who in their right minds would want a system that brings in more revenue whilst teaching players a lesson about being down there in the first place followed by a lesson on the level of effort, commitment and team spirit required to get out of there.

Clueless Colin. Can't even tie a tie.

HFC 0-7
16-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I hate the playoff system in England, a team in 6th simply does not deserve to be promoted above the team in 3rd. They obviously have not been as good during the season and dont deserve promotion.

11th SPL playing 2nd in SL1 would be interesting however.

I get what you are saying, however, you could argue the same in that cup competitions a team can get to the final with only playing lower league opposition then only having to play one game to win and to get into europe. you could argue that there are many other teams more deserving of winning. Champions league is another example of where team 2nd 3rd and maybe 4th can get into the champions league when they are champions of nothing. In a larger league like down south the playoffs make game competative further down the league, usually, right to the end of the season.

The Harp
16-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Seems a strange one from CC considering we were unable to beat any of our fellow bottom six clubs and slipped further down the league after the split.
Brave man or a fool springs to mind. :hmmm:

Haymaker
16-05-2011, 10:44 PM
I get what you are saying, however, you could argue the same in that cup competitions a team can get to the final with only playing lower league opposition then only having to play one game to win and to get into europe. you could argue that there are many other teams more deserving of winning. Champions league is another example of where team 2nd 3rd and maybe 4th can get into the champions league when they are champions of nothing. In a larger league like down south the playoffs make game competative further down the league, usually, right to the end of the season.

I do actually argue that, I dont believe the CL should be full of teams who arent champions.

Cup competitions are cup competitons and I see what you are saying but isnt that why we love cups? Because anyone could win them on a lucky day... but a league is 30+ games that everyone else plays and if you dont get the more points than someone else then you shouldnt go up.

IWasThere2016
16-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Love the play-offs personally, and I'm with CC - why is there one system for all leagues bar the SPL .. Self preservation! Just like that diamond idea of a ten team SPL - that cannae be self interest again can it?

marleyhib
16-05-2011, 11:00 PM
He may have a point. Something needs done to Scottish football and the SPL in particular, its totally stagnant - no it's worse than that TBH

IWasThere2016
17-05-2011, 05:26 AM
He may have a point. Something needs done to Scottish football and the SPL in particular, its totally stagnant - no it's worse than that TBH

Stagnant - IMO it is dying and a slow and painful death also. I blame the OF as they kill any competition, and the SPL chairmen pander to them. The Chairmen need to grow a pair and tell them to eff off.

Unless we get genuine competition back into the SPL the game is doomed.

Davy Mac
17-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Seems a strange one from CC considering we were unable to beat any of our fellow bottom six clubs and slipped further down the league after the split.
Brave man or a fool springs to mind. :hmmm:

:agree:

or perhaps a little bit detached from the mood at the moment.

HH81
17-05-2011, 06:36 AM
I would quite like to see a super league style format tried in the spl. Top wins league plate. Top 4 enter play off system to take title. Top 2 get home games in a one off go at getting to grand final. Winner of grand final are league champions. This would give 2 other teams the crack of winning title ever year. Final could be held at murrayfield or Glasgow each year.

StevieC
17-05-2011, 07:32 AM
The play off idea would be perfect .. if the league were expanded.

One of the arguments against a bigger league seems to be the worry of the quality of team in it. A play off system would mean that teams wanting promoted would need to prove they were better than the current SPL team/s in order to progress.

In the current set-up though, I don't see any great advantage.

ahibby
17-05-2011, 09:58 AM
I posted in another thread about my indifference to things Hibs (and yet I continue to post), without realising that we had perhaps good cause to be indifferent. I think the last seven or eight games were pointless (no pun intended) for us and maybe that explains the level of indifference there has been. Maybe the play offs are just what we need but hopefully next season we wouldn't be involved (fingers crossed).