PDA

View Full Version : Wealthy Team Overcomes Less Wealthy Teams To Win SPL! Other Wealthy Team To Win Cup!

Dan Sarf
15-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Are we all completely mad?

stokesmessiah
16-05-2011, 07:10 AM

More confused by this thread !!??

sahib
16-05-2011, 07:15 AM

Dupes we is.

Kaiser1962
16-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Dupes we is.

We wouldn't be supporting Hibs if we weren't!:greengrin

Speedway
16-05-2011, 08:02 AM

And apply to almost every top league in the world.

Dan Sarf
16-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Apologies for gloomy (late night) post.

I was watching the Rangers fans hysterically celebrating their easy defeat of a team with a fraction of their budget - whilst the Celtc fans urged on their team to dominate another cash strapped outfit half their size. The same will happen next year. And the year after that. One of them will win the league. Maybe the other one will win the cup. And so on forever. Don't they realise how futile it is? Don't we?

Apologies again. I'll be alright tomorrow.

(((Fergus)))
16-05-2011, 09:10 AM

I was watching the Rangers fans hysterically celebrating their easy defeat of a team with a fraction of their budget - whilst the Celtc fans urged on their team to dominate another cash strapped outfit half their size. The same will happen next year. And the year after that. One of them will win the league. Maybe the other one will win the cup. And so on forever. Don't they realise how futile it is? Don't we?

Yes, it is a complete waste of time and energy, not just for us but also for the old firm. What do they achieve? A vicarious sense of superiority? They are even more deluded than us.

Beefster
16-05-2011, 09:16 AM

You could substitute 'SPL' for 'EPL', 'La Liga', 'Serie A', 'Bundesliga' etc etc etc so is your point that European football is mince?

Dan Sarf
16-05-2011, 09:27 AM
You could substitute 'SPL' for 'EPL', 'La Liga', 'Serie A', 'Bundesliga' etc etc etc so is your point that European football is mince?

I suppose it is - but I don't really care about them. I care about us.

I think it's pathetic the way the Old Firm strut about like bullies in the playground. And I fear it's pathetic the way we keep coming back for more.

That's not to say that I won't be as excited as everyone else when the new season starts. It's just that, right now, I'm utterly depressed.

How early do doctors say it's OK to have a drink in the morning? Eleven o'clock must be alright, surely?

Phil D. Rolls
16-05-2011, 11:57 AM
I suppose it is - but I don't really care about them. I care about us.

I think it's pathetic the way the Old Firm strut about like bullies in the playground. And I fear it's pathetic the way we keep coming back for more.

That's not to say that I won't be as excited as everyone else when the new season starts. It's just that, right now, I'm utterly depressed.

How early do doctors say it's OK to have a drink in the morning? Eleven o'clock must be alright, surely?

Never have a drink before 6 pm. It must be six pm somewhere.

Newry Hibs
16-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I've often thought that OF fans must be a wee bit jealous of us supporters of other teams. Look at the delight in '07 in winning the wee cup - many people's favourite moment. There was so much joy and celebrating.

I think when the OF win something, it's more a relief that they have, coupled with relief the other half didn't. They know they will win something pretty much every year. Maybe it's like Christmas morning in a spoilt brats house - they know they are getting something expensive and shiny and perhaps the thrill just isn't there. Whereas in the Hibby house (and others) it's so much more special when the trophy Santa has been down the chimney.

Dan Sarf
16-05-2011, 12:57 PM
I've often thought that OF fans must be a wee bit jealous of us supporters of other teams. Look at the delight in '07 in winning the wee cup - many people's favourite moment. There was so much joy and celebrating.

I think when the OF win something, it's more a relief that they have, coupled with relief the other half didn't. They know they will win something pretty much every year. Maybe it's like Christmas morning in a spoilt brats house - they know they are getting something expensive and shiny and perhaps the thrill just isn't there. Whereas in the Hibby house (and others) it's so much more special when the trophy Santa has been down the chimney.

Very good point. I'm beginning to cheer up. (That Baileys' Original Cream stuff tastes nicer than it looks.)

Kaiser1962
16-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Very good point. I'm beginning to cheer up. (That Baileys' Original Cream stuff tastes nicer than it looks.)

Lets face it DS, it really has to. :greengrin

Geo_1875
16-05-2011, 02:02 PM
And see the state they get into when they finish second!!! Imagine if they had to put up with third.

Cocaine&Caviar
16-05-2011, 02:14 PM
You could substitute 'SPL' for 'Bundesliga' so is your point that European football is mince?

Yes you could, Bayern have by far the biggest budget, and best players, but Dortmund won it this year with a team based on youth.

hibbymac
16-05-2011, 02:18 PM
:confused: I thought Motherwell were skint.

Baker9
16-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Yes you could, Bayern have by far the biggest budget, and best players, but Dortmund won it this year with a team based on youth.

Well said! It is possible then.:thumbsup:

Dan Sarf
16-05-2011, 03:40 PM
:confused: I thought Motherwell were skint.

I would love it, love it, if they beat Celtc and won the cup! :greengrin

Keith_M
16-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Sorry to put a dampener on your logic but, is that the Borrussia Dortmund that get an average of 73,000 fans at home?

I can't really see how they compare to Hibs, Motherwell, Killie, et al.

Beefster
16-05-2011, 05:12 PM

Missed the point, huh?

Celtic have the biggest budget. Rangers won the league. The point was that, generally, the same teams win the league year after year in the vast majority of leagues. Bayern do dominate in Germany, no?

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Agree with OP where is the thrill for them ?

On a related subject I overheard Ally McCoist calling Walter Smith "one of the gratest Scottish managers of all time" and compared him with Alex Ferguson and Bill Shankley.

My curiosity aroused I had a look on Wickipedia.

Mr Smith apparently has managed a grand total of 2 clubs. Rangers twice and Everton once.

In his first spell at Rangers he was hugely successful, but then he did have £50,000,000 during that period in order to help with that. In his second spell at Rangers he has had less money, but still millions more than everybody apart from Celtic.

In 3 years at Everton he finished in the bottom half of the EPL 3 years running before getting the sack.

Ferguson turned the not very mighty St Mirren into a club to be feared and followed that with a hugely successful spell at Aberdeen.

Shankley took what was a failing football club and with a mixture of phsychology, brilliant man management and the ability to see what it took to build a team turned them into a European giant.

Lets face it, with the resources available to Rangers I could have probably managed them to roughly the same record as Smith has.

One of the greatest ever Rangers managers, no argument.

One of the greatest ever Scottish managers :faf: Aye right !

Luna_Asylum
16-05-2011, 06:53 PM
the way the SPL distribute the $ here is a big part of the problem
i.e. loads to hunz+timz

Beefster
16-05-2011, 06:57 PM
the way the SPL distribute the $ here is a big part of the problem
i.e. loads to hunz+timz

It won't help but I'd imagine that having at least 45,000 through the gates every fortnight when the other teams are lucky to get a quarter of that would probably be the biggest difference.

Luna_Asylum
16-05-2011, 07:01 PM
It won't help but I'd imagine that having at least 45,000 through the gates every fortnight when the other teams are lucky to get a quarter of that would probably be the biggest difference.

so why give the lions share to the clubs who need it least

Kaiser1962
16-05-2011, 07:03 PM

Motherwell turnover 6% of what Celtic do and Killie a mere 12% of Rangers.

2010 turnover Celtic £62m Rangers £56m Hearts £8m Hibs £7m

As an aside both Birmingham and Bolton had an income of around £50m