PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Hibs shoud challenge for the league under Petrie's stewardhip?/Top 3

new malkyhib
15-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Or is mid-lower league placings the place the best we can expect under Rod's guidance?

McSwanky
15-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Is there nothing in between likes?

Woody1985
15-05-2011, 09:37 PM
One extreme to the other. Pish thread.

There's a slim to none chance of any non of team winning the league for the foreseeable future.

new malkyhib
15-05-2011, 10:00 PM
And if not, why not?

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2011, 10:02 PM
No chance, we are hopeless, like a boat with no rudder.

Broken Gnome
15-05-2011, 10:08 PM
No, because to expect that sort of improvement is naive or optimistic beyond belief.

I'd certainly hope we can improve on the few qualities we have and iron out the numerous flaws, and add in real quality, so we can feel confident enough of finishing above an Inverness, Kilmarnock or Motherwell. Still not where we want to be, but top 6 would be sufficient improvement and progress as part of a longer term plan.

Removed
15-05-2011, 10:08 PM
And if not, why not?

Top 3. I take it you mean 3rd?

I could drink till I was :drunk: and :smokin till I was high as a kite and I still wouldn't think that.

We are a total shambles just now and as it stands the top 6 looks like a dream next season.

That's reality I'm afraid.

new malkyhib
15-05-2011, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=RicheyWhite;2803541]No, because to expect that sort of improvement is naive or optimistic beyond belief.

Why?

Mikey
15-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Why?

:hilarious

erin go bragh
15-05-2011, 10:15 PM
And if not, why not?
The top three has to be our aim but its a big ask after the shambles of this season.
If and its a big if cc signs a few gems [alright five or six gems] yes i think we might :wink:
ggtth

Broken Gnome
15-05-2011, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=RicheyWhite;2803541]No, because to expect that sort of improvement is naive or optimistic beyond belief.

Why?

I don't think we're as bad as many on here would believe, but the ability and age of the players we have suggests that a huge improvement would be a bit much to expect. Overall our results can't fail to be better next season (hopefully), but to turn a huge proportion of them around in order to be European challengers is possibly too tall an order.

10th to 3rd or 4th? Overly optimistic.

Frazerbob
15-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Not a chance in hell with the current crop of charlatans and manager. Ask again after we see who CC brings in and more importantly IMO, who he gets shot off.

Hibercelona
15-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I'd like to ask why as well. :confused:

We're in a piss poor league full of teams that we should be running rings around consistantly..... Instead, we never look comfortable against anyone. :confused:

We have the money and the resources to finish in the top 6 easily, yet we can't? :confused:

Whats the deal?

Sir David Gray
15-05-2011, 10:25 PM
We'll never challenge for the league unless some serious changes take place on the investment side of things. We would need an owner to come in who is prepared to basically bankroll the club to success and at the moment we don't have that.

3rd, or 4th at the least, should be what we are aiming for each year and a top six place should go without saying.

10th is not acceptable by a long, long way. This season has been an absolute disgrace from beginning to end.

matty_f
15-05-2011, 10:29 PM
No, I don't think that we'll get top 3, and I certainly don't think we'll challenge for the league. That we don't challenge for the league is not something in my mind that can be held against anyone at the club.

If we were turning in 50k crowds, and had the finances of the OF, then fair enough it could and should be expected.

If we had the spending of the Yams, we could expect to challenge them for third.

CC has (IMHO) a job that needs more than a transfer window to complete, however it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll put together a side which could compete with the bulk of the SPL. Other clubs have managed it to an extent on much smaller budgets than ours.

It would probably be better asking this question at the start of next season, when we know who CC has brought into, and moved on from the club.

new malkyhib
15-05-2011, 10:34 PM
:hilarious

You're really ON messaage you eh? Are you the Board's plant on this message board Mikey?

Mikey
15-05-2011, 10:36 PM
You're really ON messaage you eh? Are you the Board's plant on this message board Mikey?

Och ye wee lamb. Did the bad man laugh at you :hilarious

new malkyhib
15-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Och ye wee lamb. Did the bad man laugh at you :hilarious

Ooh get her...seriously, on the back of your patronising "calm down" post earlier, are you on the payroll at Easter Road?

yekimevol
15-05-2011, 10:40 PM
The first thing that we must do is cement ourselfs as a top four team in the spl.

Thats what our finances are in the spl and that is what we must be. That will get us european football after this one season of the spl only have one champions league place. Then after we have built a strong and competitve squad we concentrate on attaining greater and higher things.

in the mean time we aim for the top four and good cup runs.

just incase anyone says it ! im not saying that the rodents across the city are a bigger team but that teams like motherwell and dundee utd have good squads and will be hard to beat. But are beatable !!!
:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

Pete
15-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Don't think for a minute we can ever challenge for the league without some serious financial backing.

We should be aiming for and expecting third every season though. Its really frustrating that a club of our size which has been run in the fashion it has been is not up there all the time. We've invested heavily in youth and sorted the ground...surely we should be seeing the results on the park sooner rather than later.

You have to stay positive!

Mikey
16-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Ooh get her...seriously, on the back of your patronising "calm down" post earlier, are you on the payroll at Easter Road?

Any chance you could point that post out to me because I don't remember it.

The only "calm down" post I saw earlier was this one.......

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?209943-Why-is-everyone-getting-humpty-over-these-meaningless-games

Maybe you should spend less time on dodgy websites. It's bad for your eyes you know :wink:

Oh, I nearly forgot................. :hilarious

Kaiser1962
16-05-2011, 07:12 AM
We'll never challenge for the league unless some serious changes take place on the investment side of things. We would need an owner to come in who is prepared to basically bankroll the club to success and at the moment we don't have that.

3rd, or 4th at the least, should be what we are aiming for each year and a top six place should go without saying.

10th is not acceptable by a long, long way. This season has been an absolute disgrace from beginning to end.

Where's this "investment" coming from?

Hearts are 3rd because their parent company gave them almost £8m this season that they wont get back. If you have a spare £8m the club would love to hear from you, and we might get third. But it wont be an "investment" it will be a gift.

alexedwards
16-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Or is mid-lower league placings the place the best we can expect under Rod's guidance?

Think he should continue to take it right up there from tic/gers and keep on keeping on supporting those clubs and look for ways to prop up the Glasgow challenge until Hibs are milked dry - why change the habits of a lifetime?

Baldy Foghorn
16-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Top 3. I take it you mean 3rd?

I could drink till I was :drunk: and :smokin till I was high as a kite and I still wouldn't think that.

We are a total shambles just now and as it stands the top 6 looks like a dream next season.

That's reality I'm afraid.

After the quality of your "jokes" earlier, I would hate to receive your drunken and stoned texts.......

I agree with your post though:wink:

Kaiser1962
16-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Are you Vlad's? :greengrin

SkintHibby
16-05-2011, 08:43 PM
What a crap crap thread.:rolleyes:

marinello59
16-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Think he should continue to take it right up there from tic/gers and keep on keeping on supporting those clubs and look for ways to prop up the Glasgow challenge until Hibs are milked dry - why change the habits of a lifetime?

You might disagree with his strategy but it is ridiculous to suggest that Rod Petrie and the board are motivated by anything other than what is in the best interests of Hibernian FC.

hhibs
17-05-2011, 11:48 PM

Nope, top six in the 1st division,if we are lucky.

50 + years a hibbie and I have NEVER been so depressed at what is happening at our club.

The buck stops at Mr Petrie ,as owner STF has to see that the business is being run into the ground and act.

I fear for us in the coming seasons.

greenlex
18-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Should we.?
Of course we should.
Should we burst the bank to do it?
No of course we shouldn't.
Will we?
Depends on the signings but it might take another year or two.

J-C
18-05-2011, 04:22 AM
We had the perfect platform last season after finishing 4th to take bigger steps and push for 3rd/2nd but as usual we blew it big time by not investing properly in the team and buying pish.

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 05:40 AM
We had the perfect platform last season after finishing 4th to take bigger steps and push for 3rd/2nd but as usual we blew it big time by not investing properly in the team and buying pish.

We limped to 4th - aided by the Arabs fielding eleven strangers on the last day.

The trend of the performances 4 months before was not upwards.

Yogi agreed to sell 20+ goals as he thought RP was giving him the funds to re-invest - DOH!

Like he's always done John?
And with a few hours of a transfer window to go John?

Under no circumstances was Yogi taking us onward and upward .. Why? Small matters like results, form, performances, loss of goals, confidence, morale, Hart, de Graaf, Duffy, Trakys.

I'm with greenlex we can BUT the manager will need the Board to be prepared to spend - NOT break the bank - as, it is clear, too many fans have had enough of better players being sold and poorer players being brought in. Whether he likes it or not RP is going to have to blink first, and help CC get the fans back on board.

Kaiser1962
18-05-2011, 06:12 AM
We limped to 4th - aided by the Arabs fielding eleven strangers on the last day.

Yogi agreed to sell 20+ goals as he thought RP was giving him the funds to re-invest - DOH!

Under no circumstances was Yogi taking us onward and upward .. Why? Small matters like results, form, performances, loss of goals, confidence, morale, Hart, de Graaf, Duffy, Trakys.

I'm with greenlex we can BUT the manager will need the Board to be prepared to spend - NOT break the bank - as, it is clear, too many fans have had enough of better players being sold and poorer players being brought in. Whether he likes it or not RP is going to have to blink first, and help CC get the fans back on board.

Stokes went because a) He wanted to go to Celtic very badly; and b) Yogi had identified his replacement and, more importantly, his replacement had agreed to join us.
That Yogi himself crocked the guy in training a matter of days after joining did not help.

Are we not already breaking the bank when we are overspending to the tune of around 25% of our income? Others are spending more but our overspend is not even allowing us to stand still anymore. Heart secured third spot this year and god knows what they spent achieving this. Last year it would appear they got a gift of £7.9m (not a loan this time as that may have taken them over the £40m limit) from their parent company and only managed sixth.

Baldy Foghorn
18-05-2011, 08:07 AM

I have been banging this particular drum for some time now:agree:

Andy74
18-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Stokes went because a) He wanted to go to Celtic very badly; and b) Yogi had identified his replacement and, more importantly, his replacement had agreed to join us.
That Yogi himself crocked the guy in training a matter of days after joining did not help.
Are we not already breaking the bank when we are overspending to the tune of around 25% of our income? Others are spending more but our overspend is not even allowing us to stand still anymore. Heart secured third spot this year and god knows what they spent achieving this. Last year it would appear they got a gift of £7.9m (not a loan this time as that may have taken them over the £40m limit) from their parent company and only managed sixth.

Oh dear. Duffy broke his foot by turning with no-one near him.

Jones28
18-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Simple: Yes

We are one of the biggest clubs in Scotland in terms of fan base
We have the best facilities outside the Old Firm in Scotland
We are certainly the most well off club financially apart from Celtic

Why arent we?

Failure to keep hold of talent: Stokes, Zemmama, Sproule and even Dean Sheils
Failure to reinvest at least some of the money made from selling players

Kaiser1962
18-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Oh dear. Duffy broke his foot by turning with no-one near him.

Not according to what I was told by the guy standing next to him at the time :wink:

I accept that it was an unfortunate accident but these things happen, as it could next season to anybody. I was not knocking Yogi, although it maybe read that way.

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2011, 08:59 AM
I have been banging this particular drum for some time now:agree:

Yes you have, yet never once tell us just how much we can spend that wont break the bank. And also completely ignore just how often we do spend decent money on players like Riordan Miller Stokes Maka, great successes they have been.

I'm sure you do know we are losing money, I'm sure you do know we spend more than every other team bar the top 3. Again, i will ask the question, just how much more debt do you want to put us in, and surely looking nearer to home is the way to go, rather than spending even more money we dont have at the problem.

Surely a manager/s who has 2 and 3 times the budget of his competitors does not need 4 or 5 times that amount to beat them?

basehibby
18-05-2011, 09:01 AM

I don't think you've worded this very well, but my thoughts are that Hibs should be challenging for a spot in the top three, regardless of who's in the boardroom.

We all know how hard it is to challenge for the title in Scotland if you're not one of the Ugly Sisters and not owned by a spendthrift billionaire so I won't even go there, but challenging for third should be what we're aiming for every season.

NB - that doesn't mean we'd finish third every season as there are other sides with the same objectives - it goes without saying however that to challenge for third you have to be in the top 6 :rolleyes:

basehibby
18-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Was it really Yogi that crocked Duffy??? I remember that being posted on here but given some of the negative trash being posted at the time I took it with a very large pinch of salt. If it really was Yogi then it's pretty ironic as he just couldn't seem to do ANYTHING right at the time and the incident would be fairly symbolic of the later part of his reign.

So....what's the truth....is this fact or just vicious rumour .....come on! SAUCE?!?!?

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't think you've worded this very well, but my thoughts are that Hibs should be challenging for a spot in the top three, regardless of who's in the boardroom.
We all know how hard it is to challenge for the title in Scotland if you're not one of the Ugly Sisters and not owned by a spendthrift billionaire so I won't even go there, but challenging for third should be what we're aiming for every season.

NB - that doesn't mean we'd finish third every season as there are other sides with the same objectives - it goes without saying however that to challenge for third you have to be in the top 6 :rolleyes:

Thats correct, although with the wages the yams pay perhaps 4th is a little more realistic.

And when you think a complete buffoon managed to get us 4th with very little investment, just think what a decent manager could do without spending 4 or 5 times what our competitors do?

Makaveli
18-05-2011, 09:37 AM
2003/04 - finished 8th with 44 points (2 points above 10th place)
2004/05 - finished 3rd with 61 points

What happened there then? Mowbray obviously. Deano, Boozy, Murphy etc. The recovery wasn't overnight though... we still had guys like Murdoch left over from the previous 'manager' and a lot of young players were still gaining experience. We might not have Brown/Thomson and a young Riordan/O'Connor but there's Hanlon, Booth, Wotherspoon.

Easy to say they're not in the same class but 2003/04 Whittaker wasn't in the same class as 2004/05 Whittaker if you see my point. The bones of our 04/05 side had after all bottled a cup final only two months before TM came in. People have to remember we're in the SPL. Hibs may be crap just now, but so are the other 9 clubs playing for 3rd-12th.

In May 2004 how many people were saying "you know we could be 3rd next year! A lot of good young players coming through and if the new gaffer makes some decent signings you never know" --- surely less than were saying "we're hopeless. Williamson has left us in this mess. less than 9k at the last home game. we'll do well to stay up."

One thing I've learned about Hibs over the years: they'll always surprise you!

basehibby
18-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Thats correct, although with the wages the yams pay perhaps 4th is a little more realistic.

And when you think a complete buffoon managed to get us 4th with very little investment, just think what a decent manager could do without spending 4 or 5 times what our competitors do?

As a realistic expectation for finishing position perhaps that's true - but CHALLENGING for 3rd place doesn't necessitate winning it - Dundee Utd managed it this term - presumably on a lesser budget than Hibs.

Whoever is in the managerial hotseat makes a massive difference - Dundee Utd have done well in recent seasons on the back of good management - and look at the difference Jeffries has made at the Yams.

I've no idea if Calderwood is going to be the answer at Hibs but he's got to be given a proper chance. He'll have a golden opportunity to put his stamp on the team this summer so I hope to see big improvements.

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2011, 11:42 AM
As a realistic expectation for finishing position perhaps that's true - but CHALLENGING for 3rd place doesn't necessitate winning it - Dundee Utd managed it this term - presumably on a lesser budget than Hibs.

Whoever is in the managerial hotseat makes a massive difference - Dundee Utd have done well in recent seasons on the back of good management - and look at the difference Jeffries has made at the Yams.
I've no idea if Calderwood is going to be the answer at Hibs but he's got to be given a proper chance. He'll have a golden opportunity to put his stamp on the team this summer so I hope to see big improvements.

:agree::top marks

Franck is God
18-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Last weekend's game was a tribute to a club legend and the ticket prices reduced to £10 yet the crowd didn't even reach 12k.

As long as we have fans that will use any excuse to not turn up and support the club financially we will never get close to winning the league. In my book you get what you pay for and 10k fans pays for mid-table.

I hate having to credit the jambo's for anything but when Romanov turned up they filled their ground every week, they even got to a situation where they were limiting the number of tickets allocated to the infirm.

And anyone that wants to argue that we sold out under Mowbray is kidding themselves on, check the highlights of the 'unbeatables' game against them and see all the empty seats in the west & north stands and that was when we had probably one of the best Hibs squads in the 30 years I've been watching.

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 11:54 AM

:confused: I might be reading you out of context but Caversham suggests wages much tighter here:

Hearts £9.114m: Hibs £4.798m.

Dons - £4.601m (including £41k exceptional costs)
United - £3.963m
Well - Dunno.

AndersonGGTTH
18-05-2011, 11:55 AM

What happened there then? Mowbray obviously. Deano, Boozy, Murphy etc. The recovery wasn't overnight though... we still had guys like Murdoch left over from the previous 'manager' and a lot of young players were still gaining experience. We might not have Brown/Thomson and a young Riordan/O'Connor but there's Hanlon, Booth, Wotherspoon.

Easy to say they're not in the same class but 2003/04 Whittaker wasn't in the same class as 2004/05 Whittaker if you see my point. The bones of our 04/05 side had after all bottled a cup final only two months before TM came in. People have to remember we're in the SPL. Hibs may be crap just now, but so are the other 9 clubs playing for 3rd-12th.

In May 2004 how many people were saying "you know we could be 3rd next year! A lot of good young players coming through and if the new gaffer makes some decent signings you never know" --- surely less than were saying "we're hopeless. Williamson has left us in this mess. less than 9k at the last home game. we'll do well to stay up."

:top marks

Franck is God
18-05-2011, 11:55 AM

This is true but Craig Levein said himself that it took three years to do the job at Dundee United, I think McLeish was the last Hibs manager to have the job for over 3 years.

Patience or a lack of it is our biggest problem

patlowe
18-05-2011, 12:12 PM
This is true but Craig Levein said himself that it took three years to do the job at Dundee United, I think McLeish was the last Hibs manager to have the job for over 3 years.

Very true but McLeish performed well from pretty much the outset. While we have definitely been guilty of getting rid of managers quickly over recent years, sometimes you have to bite the bullet when a problem risks becoming terminal.

AndersonGGTTH
18-05-2011, 12:22 PM

:rolleyes: such a shame we cant find the guy!

Mikeystewart
18-05-2011, 12:37 PM

challenging for the league :confused: ? is this a joke :confused:? if success is built on finance the best we can hope for is 4th.

patlowe
18-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Great post. I would add that the team that finishes 3rd tends to find it extremely difficult to replicate that performance so there's everything to play for, such are the fine margins of mediocrity outside the OF in Scotland.

I reckon a strong forward on form (Brewster, O'Connor, Kyle, Mixu etc) and a decent spine tends to be enough to challenge for 3rd in the SPL. Can Sodje fill that role? Doubtful, but we potentially have the makings of a decent spine in Brown, Hanlon and Palsson.

As for challenging, good quality around a strong forward (Deek, Latapy, Zitelli, Driver, Zemmama etc) will see you potentially challenge for 2nd until about December/January, at which point Chick Young will get excited and start asking your manager "why CAN'T you win the league?". At which point, fans and pundits create a huge amount of pressure and inconsistency, injuries and suspensions take their toll. February to April is a write-off (a phenomenon most commonly seen at Hibs) and you end up in a scrap for 3rd. Pundits accept that no-one will ever challenge the big 2...until another team emerges next season and Chick Young says "Why CAN'T you win the league?".

In short, we are not going to challenge for the league in the foreseeable future IMO.

SneakersO'Toole
18-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Chairmen long before Petrie have come and gone without Hibs even getting into the top 6, nevermind challenging for the league.

Sometimes Hibs fans come across on here as if they are used to top 3 finishes with Hibs season after season. How many have we had in the last 30 years? Certainly less than Hearts and Aberdeen. And I would guess less than Dundee Utd and possibly Motherwell also.

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2011, 02:19 PM
:confused: I might be reading you out of context but Caversham suggests wages much tighter here:

As usual you are taking things out of context. We are paying more than anyone bar the top 3, Inverness and Motherwells figures are what? St Johnstone what are there's. We are not performing anywhere as good as these clubs, yet we outspend them. Is the only answer to outspend them by more? How much more do you suggest?

IWasThere2016
18-05-2011, 02:51 PM
As usual you are taking things out of context. We are paying more than anyone bar the top 3, Inverness and Motherwells figures are what? St Johnstone what are there's. We are not performing anywhere as good as these clubs, yet we outspend them. Is the only answer to outspend them by more? How much more do you suggest?

Misread your post - the one I quoted! :aok:

sh00byd00
18-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Challenging for the league, seriously?

if this season tells us anything, it's that the OF are starting to pull away from everyone again. We're back to seeing the OF spanking teams by 3 or more goals on a near weekly basis. I'm not on about the Hamiltons and St Mirren's, i'm on about clubs like Dundee Utd, Aberdeen (which are every bit as big as ourselves) and Hearts.

You'll be more likely to win the lottery than witness an non OF club winning the SPL any time within the next 20yrs. Unless both clubs **** off down South that is.

Keith_M
18-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Well, I predict we'll be going through a 'transitional phase' next season

... but after that, you just wait! :thumbsup:

S.sct
18-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Our club must be one of the biggest under achievers in world football when you look at the size of the club within our league. Would it be unreasonable to expect a top 5 finish most if not every season with european quallification (3rd) on a regular basis, regular cup semi finals and dare I say it winning the odd trophy (including the Scottish cup).

Our record against our local rivals is appalling (particularly over the past 20 years) and when it comes to the big important games we rarely win them.

So no, no chance of a championship challenge but even under the present circumstances a creditable challenge for europe and cups should certainly not be beyond our reach.