PDA

View Full Version : Just So Fed up and Sad with Hibs

Sammy7nil
15-05-2011, 02:08 PM
I have been going to ER since the late 60's and saw some great games early on but was too young to appreciate them. The Tornadoe's were just class and scored for fun I still remember each one of them. Others players I remember with great fondness are Ally McLeod, Jackie McNamara, Keith Wright, Gordon Hunter, Crunchie, Mickey Weir, Sauzee, Brown, O'Neill, Bobby Smith, Tortolano, Benny, Sneddon, Thomson, Riordan, Isaac, Jackson, Latapy, Gordon Rae, John Collins, Boozy, Durie, Zemamma, McCluskey, Kevin Harper, Willie Miller, Ivan, Gareth Evans and Jim Leighton.

Other than Riordan I have no connection or warmth for this squad Hanlon and Booth will no doubt go on to good things and I hope in time become legends.

I have after after 40 odd years offically become totally apathetic towards Hibs I never thought this could happen and I am more than a little sad.

I won't renew my seson ticket next year I really can't commit to the absolute pish we have watched for nearly 2 years. CC has come in and FAILED to motivate the players yes we had a wee run but most will agree it was luck rather than judgement that got us through. Yes they are not "his" players but surely he should be expected to motivate at least a few?

I hope CC is the man, I dont think he is, I think we will become a boring predictable team who is difficult to beat and will sit around 5 - 8th place for the next couple of years.

Fans talk about patience my Dad died being patient, waiting on a cup win it looks like I could too. In the meantime Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd, Motherwell and StMirren have all won the cup. How long should we be patient?

I am just very sad and really fed up I have become so disillusioned I hope am wrong and we kick on next season but I really cant see it.

Dont know what I am trying to say a bit of a ramble but had to get things off my chest.

Sad :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

falkirk_cabbage
15-05-2011, 02:48 PM
This is the same as my experience of Hibs, having been through a number of high and low points since the mid 1960's, I have never reached a point where I felt that we were going nowhere, however I have now reached that point.
Management/leadership is about motivating the team that you have, only in sport (and particularly football) does a manager have the option of getting rid of underperformers so if CC were a good manager then he should be able to get more out of the guys he inherited and should have built on that during the January transfer window.
The fact that we appear to have regressed after a short resurgence is a big worry.
Sorry about not being optimistic but I think that, unfortunately, we need to look for another manager.

TheMentalHibees
15-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Haven't been to one game post-split, and I haven't regretted it. Next season my season ticket price goes up to £415, and I've yet to see why I should cough up the extra £200.

Craig_in_Prague
15-05-2011, 03:45 PM
We have to be every other team in the league's favourite side to play.

I genuinely expect us to lose every week.

I had confidence in CC at the start, but not anymore. I never thought Hibs would lose so easily time after time. It's been a scary downward spiral since 2007.

Not even watching games live or following them live anymore, and it's got to the point of checking scores at night or even the next day. Starting to lose all interest, yet under Mowbray and even JC, I'd happily pay flights often to get back and see the hibees.

Never felt like this before with Hibs, serious apathy.

Sad times indeed.

snooky
15-05-2011, 04:11 PM

I had confidence in CC at the start, but not anymore. I never thought Hibs would lose so easily time after time. It's been a scary downward spiral since 2007.

Not even watching games live or following them live anymore, and it's got to the point of checking scores at night or even the next day. Starting to lose all interest, yet under Mowbray and even JC, I'd happily pay flights often to get back and see the hibees.

Sad times indeed.

:agree: It's hard to be passionate and enthusiastic about something that has no passion or enthusiasm.

We desperately need a Messiah. Cometh the hour, cometh the man?

NAE NOOKIE
15-05-2011, 05:35 PM
I have been going to ER since the late 60's and saw some great games early on but was too young to appreciate them. The Tornadoe's were just class and scored for fun I still remember each one of them. Others players I remember with great fondness are Ally McLeod, Jackie McNamara, Keith Wright, Gordon Hunter, Crunchie, Mickey Weir, Sauzee, Brown, O'Neill, Bobby Smith, Tortolano, Benny, Sneddon, Thomson, Riordan, Isaac, Jackson, Latapy, Gordon Rae, John Collins, Boozy, Durie, Zemamma, McCluskey, Kevin Harper, Willie Miller, Ivan, Gareth Evans and Jim Leighton.

Other than Riordan I have no connection or warmth for this squad Hanlon and Booth will no doubt go on to good things and I hope in time become legends.

I have after after 40 odd years offically become totally apathetic towards Hibs I never thought this could happen and I am more than a little sad.

I won't renew my seson ticket next year I really can't commit to the absolute pish we have watched for nearly 2 years. CC has come in and FAILED to motivate the players yes we had a wee run but most will agree it was luck rather than judgement that got us through. Yes they are not "his" players but surely he should be expected to motivate at least a few?

I hope CC is the man, I dont think he is, I think we will become a boring predictable team who is difficult to beat and will sit around 5 - 8th place for the next couple of years.

Fans talk about patience my Dad died being patient, waiting on a cup win it looks like I could too. In the meantime Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd, Motherwell and StMirren have all won the cup. How long should we be patient?

I am just very sad and really fed up I have become so disillusioned I hope am wrong and we kick on next season but I really cant see it.

Dont know what I am trying to say a bit of a ramble but had to get things off my chest.

I usually have a number of differences to air against posts like this, but I have to say that I have quite a lot of sympathy with you mate. This feels to me like a well considered and heartfelt post and I have to say that the bit in bold kind of sums up how I have started to feel over the last few seasons.

I hope that soon the club give you a reason to go regularly again.

I am not at the stage of chucking it in, but that is dispite the team, not because of it.

Anyway you have prompted me to start a thread regarding STF which is probably going to get me, if not chucked off this site, at least a good verbal kicking from some on this board.

Baldy Foghorn
15-05-2011, 05:42 PM

Sad times indeed.

Whenever a club is in a crisis or needs a win, call on Hibs, we are very very charitable

Removed
15-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Whenever a club is in a crisis or needs a win, call on Hibs, we are very very charitable

:agree: I have mates at work who have STs at St Johnstone, Aberdeen, D utd and St Mirren. Most of them can't wait to play us :bitchy:

Baldy Foghorn
15-05-2011, 06:02 PM
:agree: I have mates at work who have STs at St Johnstone, Aberdeen, D utd and St Mirren. Most of them can't wait to play us :bitchy:

That says it all billy

BSEJVT
15-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Like the OP who I go to games with I just cant stand it any longer.

Its become bad for my mental health.

I promised myself yesterday I would sit on my backside and say nothing, not get annoyed about things and just view it as my last game for a while and pay my respects to Eddie.

I have become extremely frustrated over the past couple of years as I cant believe how bad we have become and how readily some people have accepted it.

And yet....

Before the game we had the tribute for Eddie and some of the old legends on the park and the old Hibs songs and I'll admit to a tear in my eye.

Then the game starts and we make the same mistakes time after time, guys nowhere near good enough for Hibs or who dont care a jot about us are wearing our jersey and before you know it I am ranting and raving like an idiot.

In normal life I would consider myself to a be a mild mannered, reasonable guy, yet 20 minutes of Hibs transforms me into a bad tempered, foul mouthed idiot.

Our latest in a line of IMO duff managers makes yet more unfathomable decisions and before you know it we are skelped 3-1 by the worst Dons team I can recall.

Like the OP I am fed up with and sad with Hibs, particularly on the day we were paying our respects to Eddie that we capitulated so meekly and have painfully reached the conclusion that its time to call it a day from going to see them as there are surely cheaper, more efficient ways to damage my mental well being, yet I will love Hibs till the day I die.

Mikey
15-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Anyway you have prompted me to start a thread regarding STF which is probably going to get me, if not chucked off this site, at least a good verbal kicking from some on this board.

Really. That happens often does it?

Alfred E Newman
15-05-2011, 07:02 PM

Other than Riordan I have no connection or warmth for this squad Hanlon and Booth will no doubt go on to good things and I hope in time become legends. I have after after 40 odd years offically become totally apathetic towards Hibs I never thought this could happen and I am more than a little sad.

I have renewed my season more out of habit and blind faith than anything else. I am becoming more and more concerned about Calderwoods managerial skills yet it is inconceivable that we could cope with yet another change of manager.
Your point about having an affinity with the players is a good one. The supporters and the players have to feel that they are all in this together and not since the Mowbray days have we had that link. There is certainly little feeling of affection to this squad and it is unlikely that the arrival of several new faces will change that .

The Harp
15-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Simply the best ... I’m in agreement with you. For us older folk who’ve seen the standard of player you mention, and the talent and commitment they displayed, it’s sad to see us in our present sorry state.
Spare a thought though for some of the younger Hibs fans who haven’t seen much quality in those famous green and white shirts but still attend the games and retain a level of enthusiasm which would put many of us older guys to shame.
Non-football people often don’t understand the virtual ‘love affair’ many fans have with their club of choice. Throughout this season when I’ve gone for a post match drink with a couple of Hibee pals, we’ve sat there feeling angry and let down because the performance has been so bad, and it's taken a while (and several pints :greengrin) for the gloom to lift. I can’t remember it getting to me so much, and so often, as this season, but maybe my memory's going.
I have to say I’ve renewed my season ticket, partly through habit, but also because the Club means so much to me (I'm not classing myself as an uber fan btw:wink:). Part of my recovery after bereavement was getting back to watch the Hibs after a period of time when I couldn’t think straight. There’s no denying this helped me return to something like normality because attending ER regularly has been a huge part of my life for over 50+ years, and I can't see this ever changing.
I hope a wee break from football through the close season, and maybe a quality signing or two, will re-kindle a lot of fans’ passion for the Hibees - if not I fear five figure attendances next season will be few and far between.
A’ the best.

The Harp
(Pete C.)

Bostonhibby
15-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Sadly, I feel very much like the OP, I have never deliberately made the decision to stop going but when we ambled into the bottom 6, and since, I didn't feel the players made the effort so why should I?

For the last few years theres been no pattern to the games I go to, but if I can get the time and have the money, the first choice used to be coming up to see Hibs home or away. I have seen some bad runs, dire players and lower league positions than where we are now but the lethargy and lack of ability and style that I have seen (on the telly) or read about is really making me think that there might be a better use for my cash next season.

I doubt it will actually happen as I am usually optimistically itching for the pre season friendlies where I always try to go, I see it as a new beginning and all that, Like one of the other posters it is starting to do my head in, as is Scottish football.

Never mind there's always the Cricket, cannot stand it but I need an alternative. Maybe Hibs should try it - there's at least one half where all your guys stand about in clean gear doin F all whilst the other team seem to be knocking the ball all over the place so maybe we will fit in?

joebakerforever
15-05-2011, 07:43 PM
I first seen a match at ER in 1956 and have had a ST for over 25 years.

I renewed in the hope that things will improve next season.

However I was told yesterday that Petrie has already cut the playing budget (wages & signings) for 2011/12.

If true I have some sympathy for Calderwood being in such an invidious position, taking the flak, while Petrie hides in the background.

So if there is no significant improvement on the field next season I will not be giving Hibs any further cash thereafter.

Hibernia Na Eir
15-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Hibs hace been a soft touch for a while now. We need experience, grafters with some flair too. Something we will no doubt not get correct for next season (once more).

Bookkeeper
15-05-2011, 09:45 PM

:agree: Mines too and it'll probably be my fate as well.

Agree with much of the rest too. I argued with myself for months about renewing for next season and finally did. On the face of it, seems like a waste of money but The Hibs are ma team, always will be and sometimes you need something to invest your hopes and dreams in. I know in the present set up, we'll never win the league, but that day we bring the cup back.....

Sunny Leith
15-05-2011, 10:43 PM
My Grandad has decided not to renew his ticket after the previous few seasons of garbage being dished out on a weekly basis. I gave up mines a couple of years ago, If we had a team worth watching I would go straight back, instead I have been to about 10 games and we have lost 9 of those, including being outplayed by relegated Hamilton twice. The Hibernian philosophy is in danger of being lost......

new malkyhib
15-05-2011, 10:49 PM

You seem to set out to antagonise anyone who doesn't tow the paty line, Mikey...should you be chuckied off?

Mikey
16-05-2011, 07:37 AM
You seem to set out to antagonise anyone who doesn't tow the paty line, Mikey...should you be chuckied off?

:hilarious

Phil MaGlass
16-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Although I am looking forward to the next season what I am about to say may not sound like it.
I used to go to all the games home and away, never missed a game for years, then I moved abroad, I would try and get back for as many games as I could, I couldnt wait for the new season fixture lists to come out, book up for the hertz games, waiting for the sunday KO,s to be confirmed etc etc. Over the last few years, Hibs have knocked the stuffing out of me. FED UP and SAD thats the right words. Sums it up well.
This season, for alot of supporters, may well be the last, I know of one or two who will not be renewing ST,s, if we all know atleast one or two it could well be trying times at ER. We need decent investment in the team and we need it NOW, even 1 or 2 bigger name players would be a boost, but, if as has been mentioned that the player budget has been cut, I think more will not renew. Its a sad state of affairs right enough. The last 6 or so games I couldnt even have told you who we were playing or when, i cant even tell you what the scores have been, I have been disinterested. Thought these days would never come, BUT thank god I have Dutch and German fitba to follow, Hibs over the last couple of years have now given me all the encouragement I need to go watch decent foreign fitba at decent prices and enjoy a pint while sitting in the stands. Hopefully one day and not too far in the future it will be worth going back to ER.
Good luck CC for next season.

The Gorf
16-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Although I am looking forward to the next season what I am about to say may not sound like it.
I used to go to all the games home and away, never missed a game for years, then I moved abroad, I would try and get back for as many games as I could, I couldnt wait for the new season fixture lists to come out, book up for the hertz games, waiting for the sunday KO,s to be confirmed etc etc. Over the last few years, Hibs have knocked the stuffing out of me. FED UP and SAD thats the right words. Sums it up well.
This season, for alot of supporters, may well be the last, I know of one or two who will not be renewing ST,s, if we all know atleast one or two it could well be trying times at ER. We need decent investment in the team and we need it NOW, even 1 or 2 bigger name players would be a boost, but, if as has been mentioned that the player budget has been cut, I think more will not renew. Its a sad state of affairs right enough. The last 6 or so games I couldnt even have told you who we were playing or when, i cant even tell you what the scores have been, I have been disinterested. Thought these days would never come, BUT thank god I have Dutch and German fitba to follow, Hibs over the last couple of years have now given me all the encouragement I need to go watch decent foreign fitba at decent prices and enjoy a pint while sitting in the stands. Hopefully one day and not too far in the future it will be worth going back to ER.
Good luck CC for next season.

The Sunday rags quoted Riordan as saying "he's fed up with the monotony of Scottish football"

Like other "elderly" (55) years old supporters of Hibernian, I have been a bit disillusioned over this seasons quality of football fron the current squad. I'll never NOT support the Hibess. Hibs 'til I die as they say. But I will say this one thing: The way that Hibs team played on Saturday was a disgrace to the name of Eddie Turnbull. Did I miss something at the end of the game? Did not all the team come and applaud us in the East? Who didn't?
GGTTH

EasterRoad4Ever
16-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Very sad to read a thread from older, established Hibs fans sounding so disillusioned with the team/club - but fully understandable. I agree with most of the comments about the quality of the team, the lack of excitement and lack of hope for the future. It is truly sad to see how far the club has collapsed in the last few years. We are whipping boys for the rump end of the SPL, and it appears that only the fans at the club give a damn.

It is easy to blame the players and manager but they are not ultimately accountable for the sorry mess we have found ourselves in. The Board, and particularly Petrie, needs to stand up and accept responsibility. They are ones who left the club with 18 players out of contract all at the same time - what on earth where they thinking ? More like not thinking ! We have rightly criticised the players for not trying a leg this season - they are professionals etc. However, IMHO the Board put the manager/club in an untenable position with so much uncertainty about players futures - you just cannot do that - a fundamental flaw that the Board should be brought to account for.

The Board picks the manager, who picks the players, who sets the team out. While we vent out anger and disappointment at the string of poor managers/players we've had at the club - it is the Board who pick the manager. Again, IMHO, they have flatly failed in their duty to secure a decent manager. If they had, they wouldn't have to sack so many. This not only costs the club and company £££££ in compensation, severed contracts etc, it has damaged the reputation and standing of the club.

basehibby
16-05-2011, 01:41 PM
It is indeed very sad to see these comments - and these are not fainthearts making them either - we are talking seasoned old timers who have been through the mill before in the 80s and 90s and stuck by the club steadfastly throughout.

To a large extent they speak for me as well - I can hardly remember being so exasperated with a Hibs team - we just seem to be lacking in so many departments that it's hard to know where to start.

One of the hardest things to take though is the knowledge that the club DOES have the resources to improve the situation but for some reason can't/won't put it into action. We all know that Hibs have must have a superior playing budget to at least half the teams in the league and probably more, yet the team just seems to keep going backwards!

It is certainly hard to be passionate about supporting Hibs when there seems to be such indifference to our on field fortunes emanating from the top. It's tough enough going toe to toe with a Jambo about our derby prospects for example when we know damn well that for every pound our board will spend on players theirs will spend two - but when you find yourself getting a slagging off a Killie fan about our board's tight fisted attitude to the transfer market then you know things have definately gone too far.

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Sadly, I feel very much like the OP, I have never deliberately made the decision to stop going but when we ambled into the bottom 6, and since, I didn't feel the players made the effort so why should I?

For the last few years theres been no pattern to the games I go to, but if I can get the time and have the money, the first choice used to be coming up to see Hibs home or away. I have seen some bad runs, dire players and lower league positions than where we are now but the lethargy and lack of ability and style that I have seen (on the telly) or read about is really making me think that there might be a better use for my cash next season.

I doubt it will actually happen as I am usually optimistically itching for the pre season friendlies where I always try to go, I see it as a new beginning and all that, Like one of the other posters it is starting to do my head in, as is Scottish football.

Never mind there's always the Cricket, cannot stand it but I need an alternative. Maybe Hibs should try it - there's at least one half where all your guys stand about in clean gear doin F all whilst the other team seem to be knocking the ball all over the place so maybe we will fit in?

:faf: :top marks

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Not to me, at least not yet :greengrin

Anyway I havn't started the STF thread yet. Will think on it a while because I want it to be well thought out and rational.

:offski:

silverhibee
16-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Not to me, at least not yet :greengrin

Anyway I havn't started the STF thread yet. Will think on it a while because I want it to be well thought out and rational.

:offski:

:I'm waiti :tin hat: :taxi :thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
16-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Very sad to read a thread from older, established Hibs fans sounding so disillusioned with the team/club

I agree and this surely has to be a worry for the club. CC and the board have to get it spot on on the park next season. My worry is with the wholesale changes it wont be a quickfix.

It is easy to blame the players and manager but they are not ultimately accountable for the sorry mess we have found ourselves in. The Board, and particularly Petrie, needs to stand up and accept responsibility. They are ones who left the club with 18 players out of contract all at the same time - what on earth where they thinking ?

In time with the right aquisitions I think the board will be vindicated. They needed to get rid of the deadwood. And as you are seeing already teams are shedding an awful lot I believe this will be a massive clearout. The board anticipated this and could reap some benefits. Out with the old in with the new. The majority offloaded were found to be not up to the task. I'm torn on Deeks. I think hes got stale it appears even he reckons its time to freshen things up - he cant carry a whole team and maybe perversely that was part of the problem - he can produce something out of nothing so people think when the going gets tough let Deeks pull something out the hat instead of taking individual responsibilty?

Again, IMHO, they have flatly failed in their duty to secure a decent manager. If they had, they wouldn't have to sack so many. This not only costs the club and company £££££ in compensation, severed contracts etc, it has damaged the reputation and standing of the club.

The board like Aberdeens react to the fans. Fan power ousted Alex Smith who took them within a whisker of winning the league. I wonder if they had their time again whether they would have given him some more time esp given the dross they then had to put up with afterwards... but could that dross have turned things around given more time? The tangoman was pretty effective in his time there but it was cup results in the main I think that was his undoing.

I think you are probably right tho' the reputation and standing of the club has taken a bit of a dunt. Hopefully we can play our part and have the balls as a support to see things through. I just wish CC had had a better start to his Hibs career its not been inspiring.

ahibby
17-05-2011, 09:48 AM
It could have been me who wrote the o.p. It's difficult to put your trust in the club when there have been times that we buy season tickets in May only to find our better players sold and not replaced with like before August. I hope that the board recognises that even lowering prices to £10 against Aberdeen they still couldn't attract lapsed season ticket holders back. I went to the first few games of the season to see whether I could be convinced to part with my cash for a season ticket. Alas Yogi's team imo was dire and worse than Mixu's last team. I think I'll do the same next season but like the op the passion has gone and I find that almost disturbing. I couldn't even be attracted to a £10 game against Aberdeen at ER! I've been a season ticket holder since I returned to Scotland sixteen years ago, with the exception of last season and I remember when living abroad going out of my way to get Sunday papers just to see Hibs results. The board certainly has done something wrong to make Hibs fans for forty years and more become indifferent.

Phil MaGlass
17-05-2011, 11:56 AM
It could have been me who wrote the o.p. It's difficult to put your trust in the club when there have been times that we buy season tickets in May only to find our better players sold and not replaced with like before August. I hope that the board recognises that even lowering prices to £10 against Aberdeen they still couldn't attract lapsed season ticket holders back. I went to the first few games of the season to see whether I could be convinced to part with my cash for a season ticket. Alas Yogi's team imo was dire and worse than Mixu's last team. I think I'll do the same next season but like the op the passion has gone and I find that almost disturbing. I couldn't even be attracted to a £10 game against Aberdeen at ER! I've been a season ticket holder since I returned to Scotland sixteen years ago, with the exception of last season and I remember when living abroad going out of my way to get Sunday papers just to see Hibs results. The board certainly has done something wrong to make Hibs fans for forty years and more become indifferent.

youre not wrong there,
I honestly think this year, for supporters, may well be the tipping point for future years, fans are losing interest, better ways to spend hard earned cash (if you have a job and money to spare). Many have already said they are going through the motions in buying a ST, 400 odd quid to go through the motions is a bloody lot of money during a recession.
The board SERIOUSLY need to put their hands in their pockets AND SPLASH THE CASH.
IMO I think we will have 1500 -2000 less ST,s than last year, sounds dramatic, but still, we will see.

mjhibby
17-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I must admit the last 6 or 7 games of the season i seemed to just switch off from the games and didnt even listen for news of the inverness game until after full time.I certainly can understand people being disillusioned and while we can watch a thrilling epl, including an incredible finish at the bottom of the league,we are served up the dross of the spl.Most fans go now out of loyalty but if hibs and the spl are not careful then fans will indeed turn their backs on football or at best go to maybe 2 or 3 games a season.
I am willing to give calderwood time to get it right as we seem to change manager every 18 months or so and it wasnt ccs fault he was left with so many players out of contract at the end of the season.How cc does in the close season will swing it either way for hibs fans and unless we do get 6 or 7 decent players in(hamill,rooney etc)then it will be bleak for hibs and the fans will vote with their feet.Being positive though as cc says he has a unique opportunity to bulild his own squad something very few managers can do.lets see how he does before condemning him and you never know we could get off to a flier next season and we will all be delighted.
He will be given at least the first round of games and then i think the mouser will take stock.Ive never been so glad to see a back of a football season and havent watched the spl highlights for weeks but live in hope he will sign the right players and we will all be pleasently surprised.You can only live in hope.