PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone getting humpty over these meaningless games?

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Clearly with the changes made, coupled with the fact he had already told those not at the club next year that they won't be playing for the rest of the season, Calderwood was treating these as extra pre-season games?

Can we all just calm down.

And FWIW, Riordan isn't bigger than the club. We will move on without him.

Now can everyone just CALM DOWN.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Are you serious? we've been pish poor for ages apart from a wee run 3 or 4 months ago.

truehibernian
15-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Have to be honest and say that there were occasions yesterday where Hibs played some neat and tidy football and with better finishing could have been 2 or 3 up by half time. I have seen much, much worse from the side the last few weeks, indeed, worse games where we have sneaked a win or draw.

Looking at the first half yesterday, although I thought Aberdeen exposed young Taggart a few times, we had chances with Vaz Te, Miller (absolute sitter), Riordan (penalty incident), Sodje twice, and a couple of times where the ball just didn't break in our direction in the box.

Second half, after their equaliser, Towell conspired to get himself onto the Football Bloopers DVD Season 2010/11, Riordan missed two chances (one of which was well worked team wise and would have been a great goal, the other a shot into the side net when it looked easier to score), DW hitting the crossbar, and Sodje shooting narrowly wide.

Aberdeen second half.......I counted four chances, three which they scored from, the other producing a reaction save from Brown (very like their first goal).

I am not blind to the fact that we are criminally poor at the back at present, switching off at set pieces, conceding needless set pieces and slow to react and close down. But going forward yesterday all that was/is required is pace and finishing. A tough ask yes, but there are players out there who we can get to do this. What is required at the back, urgently IMHO, is both experience and some no nonsense, roll up sleeves footballers. Not too bothered about finesse or technical ability, just speed, braun and brains.

Another disappointment yesterday was Victor's attitude to the fans when their third went in. It's really irksome to me that a player shrugs his shoulders and gives fans leaving the "what you going for" look.......instead, forget the petulance and turn your attention to the game, geeing up your team-mates and getting the team inspired. He had a look of resignation.......and he is only 19 ! Hence the need for a couple of real leaders in that side. Hanlon had a shocker for me yesterday and proved that he needs it beside him to improve. If not, he will be another Lewis Stevenson in the sense that we all know he has games in him, just they seem to have been a 'wee while ago'. He can improve but not with the defenders around him at present IMO.

Onwards and upwards in summer. Still fully back CC, but his signings in the summer will be make or break for him I think. Patience is ever thin at ER these days and although I hope he gets another couple of years, my thoughts are we have a board (and certain fans) who just can't allow the side to blend and develop, taking the rough as well as the smooth. To change a culture doesn't happen overnight, to change mindsets and get into the head of young players takes a wee while. Give him time is my motto at the end of the day.

Winston Ingram
15-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Clearly with the changes made, coupled with the fact he had already told those not at the club next year that they won't be playing for the rest of the season, Calderwood was treating these as extra pre-season games?

:agree:

Keith_M
15-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Clearly with the changes made, coupled with the fact he had already told those not at the club next year that they won't be playing for the rest of the season,

Calderwood was treating these as extra pre-season games?

In light of the fact that you've been watching training games for 3/4 of the season, Petrie is giving you all your money back. So what ARE you all so mad about?

bringbackbenny
15-05-2011, 11:48 AM
The £80k a place isn't meaningless.

Spike Mandela
15-05-2011, 11:59 AM

We are calm. in fact we are so calm it seems like the whole Hibs support are on Valium.

We have become so used to accepting mediocrity at best that we end up with threads like this.

Apathy rules.

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Because we pay the same to watch these games as we do the others!
Because in our own jobs we can't stop performing when we feel like it.
Because we go to be entertained.
Because we're not happy with the performances that have made these games what they are.
Because they are not pre season friendlies!!!

hibsquaker
15-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Because we're not happy with the performances that have made these games what they are.

Spot on.

Halifaxhibby
15-05-2011, 12:34 PM

Spot on!!!

Ed De Gramo
15-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Have to be honest and say that there were occasions yesterday where Hibs played some neat and tidy football and with better finishing could have been 2 or 3 up by half time. I have seen much, much worse from the side the last few weeks, indeed, worse games where we have sneaked a win or draw.

Looking at the first half yesterday, although I thought Aberdeen exposed young Taggart a few times, we had chances with Vaz Te, Miller (absolute sitter), Riordan (penalty incident), Sodje twice, and a couple of times where the ball just didn't break in our direction in the box.

Second half, after their equaliser, Towell conspired to get himself onto the Football Bloopers DVD Season 2010/11, Riordan missed two chances (one of which was well worked team wise and would have been a great goal, the other a shot into the side net when it looked easier to score), DW hitting the crossbar, and Sodje shooting narrowly wide.

Aberdeen second half.......I counted four chances, three which they scored from, the other producing a reaction save from Brown (very like their first goal).

I am not blind to the fact that we are criminally poor at the back at present, switching off at set pieces, conceding needless set pieces and slow to react and close down. But going forward yesterday all that was/is required is pace and finishing. A tough ask yes, but there are players out there who we can get to do this. What is required at the back, urgently IMHO, is both experience and some no nonsense, roll up sleeves footballers. Not too bothered about finesse or technical ability, just speed, braun and brains.

Another disappointment yesterday was Victor's attitude to the fans when their third went in. It's really irksome to me that a player shrugs his shoulders and gives fans leaving the "what you going for" look.......instead, forget the petulance and turn your attention to the game, geeing up your team-mates and getting the team inspired. He had a look of resignation.......and he is only 19 ! Hence the need for a couple of real leaders in that side. Hanlon had a shocker for me yesterday and proved that he needs it beside him to improve. If not, he will be another Lewis Stevenson in the sense that we all know he has games in him, just they seem to have been a 'wee while ago'. He can improve but not with the defenders around him at present IMO.

Onwards and upwards in summer. Still fully back CC, but his signings in the summer will be make or break for him I think. Patience is ever thin at ER these days and although I hope he gets another couple of years, my thoughts are we have a board (and certain fans) who just can't allow the side to blend and develop, taking the rough as well as the smooth. To change a culture doesn't happen overnight, to change mindsets and get into the head of young players takes a wee while. Give him time is my motto at the end of the day.

Victor done this at ICT last week...he shrugged his shoulders as if he was asking 'what am I suppose to do?'

Its disappointing but good to see he's passionate about the club :agree:

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Are you serious? we've been pish poor for ages apart from a wee run 3 or 4 months ago.

Hutchy, I share that opinion too. However, I am talking about the last few games in particular. After this season were we really expecting anything else with the same group of players?

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2011, 01:02 PM

1. Yes, as do I. But does that honestly change your expectation of what you were going to get at the game?
2. I didn't make an excuse for the players' slump in form this season? I highlighted the changes made to the team e.g Taggart.
3. See No.1
4. I'm not happy with what happened before the split either, again you might want to take notice that the point of my post was about the post-split games.
5. Yes, an obvious point. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather we focussed on what was going to happen next season when we actually should be looking to make a difference.

stubru59
15-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Hutchy, I share that opinion too. However, I am talking about the last few games in particular. After this season were we really expecting anything else with the same group of players?

I certainly wasn't expecting much, but that's precisely the problem. And, I'm yet to be convinced that next season will be any different.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-05-2011, 01:13 PM

I dont think anybody was expecting much, but, as Spike stated earlier apathy rules and its not very pleasant to witness.

Sammy7nil
15-05-2011, 01:13 PM
1. Yes, as do I. But does that honestly change your expectation of what you were going to get at the game?
2. I didn't make an excuse for the players' slump in form this season? I highlighted the changes made to the team e.g Taggart.
3. See No.1
4. I'm not happy with what happened before the split either, again you might want to take notice that the point of my post was about the post-split games.
5. Yes, an obvious point. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather we focussed on what was going to happen next season when we actually should be looking to make a difference.

oH THE OPTIMISM OF YOUTH,

Come back in 40 years I have been waiting patiently for 40 years and notwithstanding the odd blip when we have a good team Hibs have served up mediocre pish year on year.

This season has been dire 1 point in 18 against bottom 6 teams even allowing for team experiments, I take it other teams have been doing this too. CC has failed 100% to motivate the players in his squad over the last 8 weeks and few wins in those games would have given him more time. Next season after 10 games if we are in the bottom 6 the pressure will build.
s

Mikey
15-05-2011, 01:15 PM
It's not "everyone", just a few making an awful lot of noise.

We are calm. in fact we are so calm it seems like the whole Hibs support are on Valium.

We have become so used to accepting mediocrity at best that we end up with threads like this.

Apathy rules.

Apathy? Have you read hibs.net lately? :greengrin

It's a virtual no go zone for the non hysterical.

Keith_M
15-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Apathy? Have you read hibs.net lately? :greengrin

It's a virtual no go zone for the non hysterical.

But Mikey, think of the amount we all save on Psychoanalysts bills.

:greengrin

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Oh the optimism of youth

Well if we can't be, who can :greengrin

Sammy7nil
15-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Well if we can't be, who can :greengrin

:greengrin They will knock it out of you :greengrin

Gala Foxes
15-05-2011, 04:12 PM
meaningless ?????????????? - we buy a season ticket for 18 "meaningless" league games a season

sorry for being grumpy but I pay to see a team of HI-BEES THAT CARE, GIVE 100% AND SHOW a bit of passion when I buy a season ticket, as I always do

not seen much of any of that in 10/11 season

Golden Bear
15-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Aye never mind.

We only finished 55 points behind the team in second place. A really valiant effort which fills me with pride.

:rolleyes:

:grr:

Baldy Foghorn
15-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Meaningless? Every placing in the league is worth 80,000 quid....Another reason why the result yesterday was appalling....

Baldy Foghorn
15-05-2011, 05:02 PM

:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
15-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Victor done this at ICT last week...he shrugged his shoulders as if he was asking 'what am I suppose to do?'

Its disappointing but good to see he's passionate about the club :agree:

Is he? Maybe he could start taking games by the scuff of the neck then?

cabbageandribs1875
15-05-2011, 05:04 PM

richard gordon(bbc host) said aberdeen would get an extra 90K for moving above us :agree: that would pay for at least one decent player for a season surely.

Baldy Foghorn
15-05-2011, 05:04 PM
meaningless ?????????????? - we buy a season ticket for 18 "meaningless" league games a season

sorry for being grumpy but I pay to see a team of HI-BEES THAT CARE, GIVE 100% AND SHOW a bit of passion when I buy a season ticket, as I always do

not seen much of any of that in 10/11 season

:agree::agree:

No pride, no passion, team of gutless under achievers

Alfred E Newman
15-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Exactly. By my calculation we have shed around £200k in the last couple of weeks. That from a side that seemingly can`t afford to compete in the transfer market or offer existing players new contracts.
There is also the question of pride. For a club like Hibs to finish 15 points behind the mighty Inverness is nothing short of embarrassing.

iwasthere1972
15-05-2011, 06:39 PM

In that case Hibs should have reduced the prices for all the remaining home games and issued refunds to all season ticket holders.

Baldy Foghorn
15-05-2011, 07:14 PM
In that case Hibs should have reduced the prices for all the remaining home games and issued refunds to all season ticket holders.

Rod would be in cold sweats at such a thought..........

Bostonhibby
15-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Why is everyone getting humpty over these meaningless games?

Is it because many of us prefer to see the guys who play in our colours putting in a performance and maybe even winning now and again?

Professionals having a reason not to bother too much is a bad habit to start, theres always an excuse, for example its been a hell of a long time since we won the Scottish Cup so lets not bother as we probably won't win it next time.

They're not meaningless to me as they are evidence of a trend at our club which, apart from one mini revival this season when they had to, has certainly been downward since 2007 for a variety of reasons. If anything these no shows have a signifcant meaning unless the culture and squad / type of player we bring in changes. I can see the point about players who know they are going not trying, but some were performing in the same way with the same results earlier in the season and last, before they may have known they were going.

Baldy Foghorn
15-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Why is everyone getting humpty over these meaningless games?

Is it because many of us prefer to see the guys who play in our colours putting in a performance and maybe even winning now and again?

Professionals having a reason not to bother too much is a bad habit to start, theres always an excuse, for example its been a hell of a long time since we won the Scottish Cup so lets not bother as we probably won't win it next time.

They're not meaningless to me as they are evidence of a trend at our club which, apart from one mini revival this season when they had to, has certainly been downward since 2007 for a variety of reasons. If anything these no shows have a signifcant meaning unless the culture and squad / type of player we bring in changes. I can see the point about players who know they are going not trying, but some were performing in the same way with the same results earlier in the season and last, before they may have known they were going.

:top marks:agree:

Sammy7nil
15-05-2011, 08:01 PM
:top marks:agree:

0/0 :confused::confused::confused:
Judging by the effort and commitment we put in we played about 28 meaningless games this season are you happy with that ?

Baldy Foghorn
15-05-2011, 08:11 PM
0/0 :confused::confused::confused:
Judging by the effort and commitment we put in we played about 28 meaningless games this season are you happy with that ?

Read Bostonhibby's post that I praised, think you have jumped in too quickly:na na:

Springbank
15-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Read Bostonhibby's post that I praised, think you have jumped in too quickly:na na:
true.and you are both making the same point. It's one i agree with. We are a club of some stature,and with that come expectations. We are not ict or st j. We should be winning and winning with elan. That is the hibs way and it is awesome when it happens.

new malkyhib
15-05-2011, 09:44 PM
true.and you are both making the same point. It's one i agree with. We are a club of some stature,and with that come expectations. We are not ict or st j. We should be winning and winning with elan. That is the hibs way and it is awesome when it happens.:top marks

There's a culture of mediocrity at ER from the boardroom down the way. Time for Petrie to step aside and realise what COULD BE at Easter Road.

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2011, 10:10 PM
My money is not meaningless to me. I wish to god i had not bought next years seasons ticket. I wont be the season after, we seem to be the only club who play these meaningless games??????

Haggis Hibby
16-05-2011, 04:49 AM

Speedway
16-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Exactly. By my calculation we have shed around £200k in the last couple of weeks. That from a side that seemingly can`t afford to compete in the transfer market or offer existing players new contracts.
There is also the question of pride. For a club like Hibs to finish 15 points behind the mighty Inverness is nothing short of embarrassing.

In which case, we'll now be the club that can't offer new contracts or compete in the transfer market and the sheep will blow their budget on dross.

Good times ahead.

Baldy Foghorn
16-05-2011, 08:42 AM
My money is not meaningless to me. I wish to god i had not bought next years seasons ticket. I wont be the season after, we seem to be the only club who play these meaningless games??????

Ask for a refund:devil:

Scouse Hibee
16-05-2011, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=Milky;2803018]1. Yes, as do I. But does that honestly change your expectation of what you were going to get at the game? I expect effort and commitment in every game.

2. I didn't make an excuse for the players' slump in form this season? I highlighted the changes made to the team e.g Taggart. I never said you were making excuses!

3. See No.1 Likewise

4. I'm not happy with what happened before the split either, again you might want to take notice that the point of my post was about the post-split games. I'm talking about the poor performances since the split that have made these games seem so meaningless and encouraged people like you to justify that it doesn't matter when it should matter in EVERY game.

5. Yes, an obvious point. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather we focussed on what was going to happen next season when we actually should be looking to make a difference. I'd rather we focussed finishing this season on a high giving us some momentum and belief to take into next season.

Hibernian Verse
16-05-2011, 12:19 PM
I'll agree to disagree Scouse.

Speedway
16-05-2011, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=Milky;2803018]1. Yes, as do I. But does that honestly change your expectation of what you were going to get at the game? I expect effort and commitment in every game.

2. I didn't make an excuse for the players' slump in form this season? I highlighted the changes made to the team e.g Taggart. I never said you were making excuses!

3. See No.1 Likewise

4. I'm not happy with what happened before the split either, again you might want to take notice that the point of my post was about the post-split games. I'm talking about the poor performances since the split that have made these games seem so meaningless and encouraged people like you to justify that it doesn't matter when it should matter in EVERY game.

5. Yes, an obvious point. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather we focussed on what was going to happen next season when we actually should be looking to make a difference. I'd rather we focussed finishing this season on a high giving us some momentum and belief to take into next season.

On your last point, what would be the point? That belief would be eroded by pre season results and the lack of signings we wanted.

The point would therefore be pointless and points to the accumulation of points in the final games as not being true point.

Scouse Hibee
16-05-2011, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;2803920]

On your last point, what would be the point? That belief would be eroded by pre season results and the lack of signings we wanted.

The point would therefore be pointless and points to the accumulation of points in the final games as not being true point.

Well done you've succeeded in putting a negative slant on pre season games that haven't been played yet! :rolleyes: Nothing to do with the signings we want, whether we get them or not. I'm talking about a group of players who theoretically finished the season on a storming run would then have taken that belief with them into pre season as a positive. As we all know the winless run streak number will be carried over and used as a stick to beat us with if we don't start well. So there is the point!

Scouse Hibee
16-05-2011, 03:16 PM
I'll agree to disagree Scouse.

Aye okay, after all it was only a meaningless end of season conversation anyway :greengrin

Speedway
16-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Aye okay, after all it was only a meaningless end of season conversation anyway :greengrin

Yeah and it was lacking effort to be fair.