PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here?

leithsansiro
15-05-2011, 07:45 AM
I don't think anyone can deny this season has been worse than disappointing.

Fundamentally (and being realistic) where do we go from here, and what is the best we can honestly expect next season?

I'm expecting a significant overhaul of the first team squad, but I still think it'll take a while for things to gel together.

Jim44
15-05-2011, 07:50 AM
I don't think anyone can deny this season has been worse than disappointing.

Fundamentally (and being realistic) where do we go from here, and what is the best we can honestly expect next season?

I'm expecting a significant overhaul of the first team squad, but I still think it'll take a while for things to gel together.

I keep reading that Calderwood is looking for a squad of 20. Looking at what we have, who will leave and who might leave, it strikes me that there won't be too many new players to make any significant difference to the present team. There certainly won't be any overhaul.

leithsansiro
15-05-2011, 07:54 AM
And that's half the problem. We need a shake up.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-05-2011, 08:40 AM
We need a new dynamic owner to take over, I'm fed up with this almost church like silence that is our board, investment needed big time to attract at least decent players to ER and until that day comes we will be where we are now for a long time

Rant over..

Kaiser1962
15-05-2011, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=HIBERNIAN-0762;2802752]We need a new dynamic owner to take over, QUOTE]

who is willing to throw money away, waste his fortune and get dogs abuse into the bargain.

:rolleyes:

SaudiHibby
15-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Off to do exactly what I have done for years, head down, lick my wounds and start next season as an avid Hibby supporting the team as much as I can. :agree:

Kaiser1962
15-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Off to do exactly what I have done for years, head down, lick my wounds and start next season as an avid Hibby supporting the team as much as I can. :agree:

and next year the treble is still on!!!:greengrin

Mikey
15-05-2011, 09:18 AM
who is willing to throw money away, waste his fortune and get dogs abuse into the bargain.

:rolleyes:

Many demand "investment", but won't invest their own £400.

Kaiser1962
15-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Which actually represents 0.005% of the total income that the club needs to run. Roughly.

NAE NOOKIE
15-05-2011, 10:32 AM
If we dont see a dramatic improvement at the back and in the middle where we go from here is the first division.

I cant see Dunfermline being as soft a touch as Hamilton have been this year ( apart from against us of course ) and its unlikely that the others will be any worse apart from perhaps Dundee Utd who are likely to lose a few key players.

What the Hibs board must face up to is that the clubs we are in direct competition with, with the exception of the manky gorgie mob, have certainly no more, and in most cases less, money to spend than us.

In view of that we ( the fans ) are entitled to get bent out of shape at a league placing at the end of the 10 / 11 season which is nothing short of abject failure.

The fact is that the Mowbray era was a happy accident and that if Hibs think a whole team can be constructed around 4 or 5 kids coming through the academy every year then they seriously need professional care.

It is just as vital to use what resources you have to bring in the players who can ensure that we have a decent season and at the very least can give us a chance of beating the Yams at ER and at least a fighting chance in the cups.

Rod Petrie is the chairman of this club and if things dont improve next season, which lets face it isnt too much to ask, then he should be thinking about his position, as should our absentee owner.

The position that Hibs should not be allowed to go under as a club is the most important thing and STF made sure that that didnt happen.

But the whole point of Hibernian Football Club is playing and winning football matches, If it isnt then what was the point of saving it in the first place.

If the people who own and run it are unable to make that happen then they should be making way for people who can.

We are the 4th or 5th biggest club in this country and in the last 20 years we have won 2 league cups, the first one at the very start of those 20 years. Hibs cant even blame the OF for that because our failures have been against clubs who we should expect to beat in the league or in the cups.

The bottom line is that off the field Hibs have acted like a big club and in that sense STF and the board have been a major success, super ground, training centre etc.

But now that those things are in place the spotlight is falling on the playing side, over the last 20 years and now more importantly in the years to come. The fact is that the people in charge of Hibs will be judged on what happens on the field and the fans wont care how nice the ground is or that the players train on bowling greens.

In fact these things will become a stick to beat the team and the board with. I.E. how can you have all that and still be rubbish on a Saturday.

Anyway .. even I think I'm rambling now .... Cheerio :greengrin

Keith_M
15-05-2011, 10:42 AM

I've bought a theatre ticket for tonight. It cost £75. I've no idea what's showing, who's in it or how good or bad it'll be but I've been told that if I'm a REAL supporter of the theatre, it's the least I can do.

That'll stick it up them part-timer, glory hunting barstewards that only turn up to see some West End hit with fabulous actors

:na na:

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Many demand &quot;investment&quot;, but won't invest their own £400.<br />
<br /
There is a Catch 22 now though. Board may say we can't invest in new players if ST sales are poor. ST sales will be poor if there is no catalyst to spark interest.

SouthamptonHibs
15-05-2011, 10:55 AM
under CC the only place we are going is 1s Div!!

We must have the youngest back four in history of football, CC should be punted

Kaiser1962
15-05-2011, 10:56 AM
If we dont see a dramatic improvement at the back and in the middle where we go from here is the first division.

So if we do get relegated then you told us so and if we dont its because the club took your advice. Bit like January then

What the Hibs board must face up to is that the clubs we are in direct competition with, with the exception of the manky gorgie mob, have certainly no more, and in most cases less, money to spend than us.

They are spending money they dont have.

Rod Petrie is the chairman of this club and if things dont improve next season, which lets face it isnt too much to ask, then he should be thinking about his position, as should our absentee owner.

The unfortunate truth for their detractors is that both of them own about 98% of the club.

But the whole point of Hibernian Football Club is playing and winning football matches, If it isnt then what was the point of saving it in the first place.

Whilst this is true to a degree I would add the very existence of HFC is important to the community and its supporters.

If the people who own and run it are unable to make that happen then they should be making way for people who can.

Is there a queue? Where do I join?

We are the 4th or 5th biggest club in this country and in the last 20 years we have won 2 league cups, the first one at the very start of those 20 years. Hibs cant even blame the OF for that because our failures have been against clubs who we should expect to beat in the league or in the cups.

And one LC in the previous 44 years making the two in the last twenty look positively prolific. Lets not mention the SC or that its 60 years since we won the leage.

The bottom line is that off the field Hibs have acted like a big club and in that sense STF and the board have been a major success, super ground, training centre etc.

Correct again. This is a long term project.

In fact these things will become a stick to beat the team and the board with. I.E. how can you have all that and still be rubbish on a Saturday.

And you a palemerk and asking that? Your egg chasers used to rule the country and now they're a shadow of their former selves. Hibs AND Gala ? Someone up there dosent like you Bovril! :greengrin

sixtwo
15-05-2011, 11:15 AM
To answer the question we rebuild.

Calderwood has stated that we will know within 5 days of the season ending, which players will be staying. This is the deadline for players to accept or decline the offers the club has made.

Calderwood should sit down with the board. If there are any doubts he will be here nexts season, we need to act fast and agree an exit strategy. I say this because I listened to his post match interview when he was asked a direct question (twice) if he will be here next year and i wasn't convinced he answered it.

We then agree a playing budget and the management team identify specific targets and we get them in early. It is important that we don't panick buy at the start of the season. we need to get the nucleus of the team in early and get the players working together.

I have said previously that oportunities like this are very rare in management. How many times does a manager get the chance to totally rebuild a squad?
Managers moan about inheriting problematic teams. Our manager has the perfect oportunity to build a team in his mould, identify his players and establish his own style. If he fails there can be no excuses, if he succeeds he will deserve the plaudits!