PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Shopping List

keep the faith
14-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Tha last few weeks have proved just how little quality we have in the squad to work with. The party line is that we will build a new team in the close season. However the noises being made from CC seem to suggest only a little tinkering will be done. I hope not. We need serious investment.

Today we lost to a very poor Aberdeen side at home in a tribute match to our most famous manager. We also failed to get the packed house many would have expected for this match (despite ticket prices being more than halved). In terms of warning signs for the clubs future it doesnt get more obvious. We need a good few players and we need players who will make an impact and have track records of cutting it at this level. I would be letting Vaz Te go (and Deeks is clearly away) and looking at:

Barry Nicolson - quality midfielder who has bagged a few goals this year with Preston. An eye for a pass and plenty energy. A bit injury prone though.
Lee Miller - Good scoring record in Scotland and takes up good positions. Was on loan at Notts County and assume he is still under contract at boro.
Michael Stewart - I know I will be on my own with this one but today we cried out for someone with his energy and directness. He is out of contract and I am positive he would do a job for us. Obvious drawbacks in terms of his temper etc, but a bit of passion would not go a miss out there.
Lee Griffiths - Sure Wolves will be thinking of sticking him out on loan. May be a good move all round.
Garry O Connor - Strength, good positional play and makes great runs a Liam Miller or Stewart would pick out.
Murray Davidson - Fast strong and with a bit of dig. Would cost money from St J but he has obvious sell on benefits
Michael Dewbury - 1 year deal to bring on Hanlon and Stephens. He has shown he can still stroll it in this league.

7 players. All should be managable - if we have ambition. There should also be a good bit a freed up wages if we are freeing so many players and (and this is a real issue) are able to move on contracted big earliers like De Graffe, Hart (cheers for that one Yogi) and Murray.

Thoughts?

SteveHFC
14-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Cammy Bell
Darren McGregor/Big Center Half
Ivan Sproule
Danny Swanson
Sone Aluko
3 Strikers

HibeeMackenzie
14-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Sol Campbell
Alan Smith
Ivan Sproule
Garry O'Connor
Danny Swanson
Willo Flood
John Sutton
Leigh Griffiths (loan)
Murray Davidson
Kenny McLean
Chris Zebroski

eastmainsmsh
14-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Ivan Sproule
Michael Duberrry
Murray Davidson
Kevin Mcdonald
Darren O Dea
Morgaro Gomis
Barry Robson
Ross Mccormack
John Sutton

Speedway
14-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Lord Nelson
Lord Beaverbrook
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Anthony Eden
Clement Attlee
Henry Cooper
Lady Diana
Maggie Thatcher

Haymaker
14-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Maggie Thatcher

:bitchy: not hibs class

PC Stamp
14-05-2011, 11:36 PM
:bitchy: not hibs class

But has mair baws than half our team! :greengrin

TPAKA
14-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Tha last few weeks have proved just how little quality we have in the squad to work with. The party line is that we will build a new team in the close season. However the noises being made from CC seem to suggest only a little tinkering will be done. I hope not. We need serious investment.

Today we lost to a very poor Aberdeen side at home in a tribute match to our most famous manager. We also failed to get the packed house many would have expected for this match (despite ticket prices being more than halved). In terms of warning signs for the clubs future it doesnt get more obvious. We need a good few players and we need players who will make an impact and have track records of cutting it at this level. I would be letting Vaz Te go (and Deeks is clearly away) and looking at:

Barry Nicolson - quality midfielder who has bagged a few goals this year with Preston. An eye for a pass and plenty energy. A bit injury prone though.
Lee Miller - Good scoring record in Scotland and takes up good positions. Was on loan at Notts County and assume he is still under contract at boro.
Michael Stewart - I know I will be on my own with this one but today we cried out for someone with his energy and directness. He is out of contract and I am positive he would do a job for us. Obvious drawbacks in terms of his temper etc, but a bit of passion would not go a miss out there.
Lee Griffiths - Sure Wolves will be thinking of sticking him out on loan. May be a good move all round.
Garry O Connor - Strength, good positional play and makes great runs a Liam Miller or Stewart would pick out.
Murray Davidson - Fast strong and with a bit of dig. Would cost money from St J but he has obvious sell on benefits
Michael Dewbury - 1 year deal to bring on Hanlon and Stephens. He has shown he can still stroll it in this league.

7 players. All should be managable - if we have ambition. There should also be a good bit a freed up wages if we are freeing so many players and (and this is a real issue) are able to move on contracted big earliers like De Graffe, Hart (cheers for that one Yogi) and Murray.

Thoughts?

3 players from Scottish 1st Division, 2 brought through from the squad/loan deals, possibly Ivan and Vas Te will be the 7. Maybe's. :Ummm:

R'Albin
15-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Thoughts?

Please no!

keep the faith
15-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Please no!

Personally i would rather rooney but I suspect he will get bigger offers eksewhere. Miller is a proven goalscorer up here though and would be a decent option.

essexhibee
15-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Carl cort? Free agent maybe worth a punt :greengrin

Wilson
15-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Lord Nelson
Lord Beaverbrook
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Anthony Eden
Clement Attlee
Henry Cooper
Lady Diana
Maggie Thatcher

Happy
Grumpy
Sleepy
Dopey
Doc
Bashful
Sproule

hibee92
15-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Jamie Langfield
Ryan Jack
Nikola Vujadinovic
Joe Shaughnessy
Steven Smith
Robert Milsom
Fraser Fyvie
Sone Aluko
Josh Magennis
Nick Blackman
Chris Maguire

:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Personally i would rather rooney but I suspect he will get bigger offers eksewhere. Miller is a proven goalscorer up here though and would be a decent option.

I doubt Sir Alex will sell him in the close season!

Hamish
15-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Cammy Bell
Darren McGregor/Big Center Half
Ivan Sproule
Danny Swanson
Sone Aluko
3 Strikers

McGregor is a decent shout. Done extremely well stepping up from Cowdenbeath to play in the SPL. And he's a Hibby (or is that a bad thing?)

Aluko - yes, if we could guarantee he would play 20/25
times a season they way he did yesterday. Think that may be a problem.

Swanson - haven't seen enough of him

Ivan - see Aluko.

Bell - see Swanson

I reckon we will see 3, possibly 4 coming in. Given Calderwood's coaching background I reckon perhaps a couple will be English based players.

.Sean.
15-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Jamie Langfield
Ryan Jack
Nikola Vujadinovic
Joe Shaughnessy
Steven Smith
Robert Milsom
Fraser Fyvie
Sone Aluko
Josh Magennis
Nick Blackman
Chris Maguire

Looks a good player :agree:

We need serious investment but, unfortuantely, our 'visionary' board will see us have to settle for out of contract duds and players nobody else wants. And that's the route of the problem.

SmokieJoe
15-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Please no!

Amen to that.

SmokieJoe
15-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Miller the ex-sheep sha**er/ex yam fud? the one that tried to kick Ian Murry up the ring in one of our last games pre-demolition of the auld east stand?

No thank you.:tsk tsk:

Brizo
15-05-2011, 04:48 PM
The problem with our shopping list is that we'll be shopping in the fitba equivalent of Lidl

R'Albin
15-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Looks a good player :agree:

We need serious investment but, unfortuantely, our 'visionary' board will see us have to settle for out of contract duds and players nobody else wants. And that's the route of the problem.

Just signed a long term deal for the sheep,is q good player though, so is Ryan jack:agree:

Holmesdale Hibs
15-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Jamie Langfield
Ryan Jack
Nikola Vujadinovic
Joe Shaughnessy
Steven Smith
Robert Milsom
Fraser Fyvie
Sone Aluko
Josh Magennis
Nick Blackman
Chris Maguire

I've hardly heard of any of these players but I think it would be unrealistic to expect any 'big' name signings.

Someone to replace Dickov should be a priority.

We really need another 1 or 2 creative midfielders who will be first team regulars. We rely too much on Miller to create things which he does better than anyone else but its still not enough.

Another 1/2/3 strikers to replace Riordan/Sodge/VaTez depending on who stays.

For once we don't need a new goalkeeper.

Holmesdale Hibs
15-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Thoughts?

Absolutely no chance I would let Murray go and bring in Stewart or Nicholson.

Apart from the fact he's not good enough, Stewart has proven time and time again that he is a trouble maker and that's the last thing we need.

Dewbury - not bothered, GOC - yes if we can get him, Lee Miller - no, Griffiths - why not if we can get him.

Bad Habits
15-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Coming from far(ish) away I dont get up much to see games, pretty much relying on bbc sport hightlights to watch hibs. But with this limited and vague view (Which is why I think im going to get told for saying this) I would say only two players are needed to get to the team to a decent standard:

1. It's been said quite a lot already on here but a big, shouty, experienced preferably rough looking centre half to kick some life into a back four full of young players, I remember reading an article about when Rio Ferdinand went to Manchester United and Roy Keane burned him for passing backwards in his first training session, we need someone like that but obviously cheaper.

2. What other teams would describe as 'a wee b*****d', a decent goal-poacher in the mould of a Kris Boyd (I know) or as people have mentioned on here an Adam Le Fondre before his dip in form near the end of the season. Not the most gifted players IMO but people who can finish off the decent build up play that I have seen on the highlights.

Admittedly I have not seen the full spectrum but this is my first post so yeahhhhh :):flag:

moredun
15-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Coming from far(ish) away I dont get up much to see games, pretty much relying on bbc sport hightlights to watch hibs. But with this limited and vague view (Which is why I think im going to get told for saying this) I would say only two players are needed to get to the team to a decent standard:

1. It's been said quite a lot already on here but a big, shouty, experienced preferably rough looking centre half to kick some life into a back four full of young players, I remember reading an article about when Rio Ferdinand went to Manchester United and Roy Keane burned him for passing backwards in his first training session, we need someone like that but obviously cheaper.

2. What other teams would describe as 'a wee b*****d', a decent goal-poacher in the mould of a Kris Boyd (I know) or as people have mentioned on here an Adam Le Fondre before his dip in form near the end of the season. Not the most gifted players IMO but people who can finish off the decent build up play that I have seen on the highlights.

Admittedly I have not seen the full spectrum but this is my first post so yeahhhhh :):flag:
Point 1-exactly what we need
Point-2 We don't create many chances for our strikers, so we would need 1 that does a lot of running, sad but true, hence why a quality player like Deeks gets hounded by some

R'Albin
15-05-2011, 08:14 PM

:agree: And a good first post, at that. Welcome!:thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
15-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Maggie Thatcher

James Traynor ran with the headline the most hated man in Scotland - maybe he got the wrong person in Lennon :wink: And BTW we always knew Maggie wore the trousers :wink:

Bookkeeper
15-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Pace
Physical Strength
Fitness
Mental Strength
Winning Mentality
Passing Ability
Pace
Defensive Capability
Goalscorer
Movement off the Ball
...did I mention Pace?

Couldny care less what names they go under!

hibee1994
15-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Any chance of us getting Maguire on a free? Maybe Petrie might pull out the stops after that display yesterday?

PISTOL1875
15-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Johnny Hayes - ICT
John Sutton - Motherwell
Mike Duberry - St Johnstone
Nigel Hasselbaink - Hamilton

Get these guys signed up...

new malkyhib
15-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Any chance of us getting Maguire on a free? Maybe Petrie might pull out the stops after that display yesterday?

Petrie woulodn't know a player if he kicked hm in the derriere. That's part of the problem...

ArabHibee
15-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I will greet if we buy Lee Miller!

Removed
15-05-2011, 10:13 PM
I will greet if we buy Lee Miller!

I would send my ST back and cancel my DD.

hibee92
15-05-2011, 10:23 PM
I've hardly heard of any of these players

it was the aberdeen starting line up yesterday

Sylar
15-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Murray Davidson will be off down south (has had scouts watching him for months, hence why they were so keen to tie up David Robertson so quickly). I also would think the likes of John Sutton and Adam Rooney will be off to bigger futures, having both impressed this season.

Securing Towell would be a good start - he's looked quite fresh since coming into the club.

A couple of solid centre-halves would be nice - Duberry is a free agent, but at 35, lacks pace and can't have much left in terms of a playing career.

We have some aspects of a decent midfield, but pace is certainly lacking.

One player who REALLY caught my eye this season in the lower leagues was young Iain Russell of Livingston - very pacey, scored goals for fun (23 in 32 appearances) and has a lovely first touch. Still relatively unnoticed by all accounts and would certainly add something to our ailing front line.

yekimevol
15-05-2011, 10:43 PM
No 1 goalkeeper
bell maybe mark howard. not insperational but soild

defenders
calum daventport
towell or jamie hamill

midfielders

sproule - pride, passion
Kevin Mcdonald - good player not sure about his attituded thou
Johnny Hayes - depending on the price tag

playmaker
Willo Flood - great passer of the ball, dont know if he has the vison thou

strikers
Ross Mccormack - good player, ability to buy him is questionable
John Sutton - if hearts dont offer him cash first
Garry O Connor - if he has not signed for celtic

Gmack7
15-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Murray Davidson will be off down south (has had scouts watching him for months, hence why they were so keen to tie up David Robertson so quickly). I also would think the likes of John Sutton and Adam Rooney will be off to bigger futures, having both impressed this season.

Securing Towell would be a good start - he's looked quite fresh since coming into the club.

A couple of solid centre-halves would be nice - Duberry is a free agent, but at 35, lacks pace and can't have much left in terms of a playing career.

We have some aspects of a decent midfield, but pace is certainly lacking.

One player who REALLY caught my eye this season in the lower leagues was young Iain Russell of Livingston - very pacey, scored goals for fun (23 in 32 appearances) and has a lovely first touch. Still relatively unnoticed by all accounts and would certainly add something to our ailing front line.
i think homfc are interested in murray davidson:wink:

The Gorf
16-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Petrie woulodn't know a player if he kicked hm in the derriere. That's part of the problem...

But is that not CC's job to persuade Petrie?:agree:

Speedway
16-05-2011, 12:42 PM
No 1 goalkeeper

defenders
calum daventport
towell or jamie hamill

midfielders

sproule - pride, passion

playmaker

strikers

If he's a great passer of the ball, doesn't he need 'vision' to be able to see those passes?

vanNISHtelroy
16-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Cammy Bell has apparently said that he would like to stay and Killie and wouldn't move to another Scottish club. Hes meant to have couple of offers from Championship clubs and a couple from abroad, but would rather go to England cos he doesn't want to go abroad.

Only what someone I know said he said to them. But then again Cammy agreed his deal "in principle" with us before January!

Form has dipped recently and he has been losing a lot of soft goals, but hopefully he'll bounce back.

eastmainsmsh
16-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Heard looking at a foreign striker wonder if it could be Marius Nicuale or Junior Agogo

R'Albin
16-05-2011, 04:23 PM
No 1 goalkeeper

defenders
calum daventport
towell or jamie hamill

midfielders

sproule - pride, passion

playmaker

strikers

Howard has been horrific at Aberdeen.

No a chance we'll be able to sign Ross Mcormack.