PDA

View Full Version : Today's game - our season summed up.

jiggerman
14-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I thought today just summed our season up - terrible defending and so many missed chances. Aberdeen looked every bit as bad as us, but in the end we may as well have handed them the 3 points on a platter. A fitting end to a truly shocking season - the worst in my memory.

I still (stupidly probably) believe Calderwood deserves a chance to bring in more quality and time to change this horrific acceptance of defeat we have at the moment. Whether I believe he will succeed is another matter altogether and part of the reason I will not renew my season ticket. Whilst not contributing to Calderwood's summer spending budget, I will probably spend as much on match tickets throughout the season. There have just been too many games I have dreaded this season - are there others out there who feel the same? This season has drained me of alot of enthusiasm and now, where I could never understand lapsed Hibees, I can see myself becoming one.

Calderwood has to get it right this summer. Quality in the following departments is vital, not just for next season, but for the short-medium term future of the club:

GK - I think Stack is our best keeper, he would be sufficient but just is not fit. Brown is good, but not commanding enough, with our young defence we need an organiser.

CH - Possibly controversial, but I would like a Rob Jones type leader figure and someone with similar aerial prowess, I'm beginning to get Deja Vu with all the pathetic defending of corners and crosses.

LW/RW - Pace and crossing ability. We need options on both sides (Johnny Hayes is the kind of player I mean).

CF - couple of striking options, including a poacher (similar to S.Elliott of Hearts) to support Sodje (who, incidentally, deserves alot of praise for his performances since January).

Here's hoping, but all I can say is bring on a Hibs free summer!

Come August I will be itching to get back to it.......:greengrin

Twiglet
14-05-2011, 05:32 PM
I thought today just summed our season up - terrible defending and so many missed chances. Aberdeen looked every bit as bad as us, but in the end we may as well have handed them the 3 points on a platter. A fitting end to a truly shocking season - the worst in my memory.

I still (stupidly probably) believe Calderwood deserves a chance to bring in more quality and time to change this horrific acceptance of defeat we have at the moment. Whether I believe he will succeed is another matter altogether and part of the reason I will not renew my season ticket. Whilst not contributing to Calderwood's summer spending budget, I will probably spend as much on match tickets throughout the season. There have just been too many games I have dreaded this season - are there others out there who feel the same? This season has drained me of alot of enthusiasm and now, where I could never understand lapsed Hibees, I can see myself becoming one.

Calderwood has to get it right this summer. Quality in the following departments is vital, not just for next season, but for the short-medium term future of the club:

GK - I think Stack is our best keeper, he would be sufficient but just is not fit. Brown is good, but not commanding enough, with our young defence we need an organiser.

CH - Possibly controversial, but I would like a Rob Jones type leader figure and someone with similar aerial prowess, I'm beginning to get Deja Vu with all the pathetic defending of corners and crosses.

LW/RW - Pace and crossing ability. We need options on both sides (Johnny Hayes is the kind of player I mean).

CF - couple of striking options, including a poacher (similar to S.Elliott of Hearts) to support Sodje (who, incidentally, deserves alot of praise for his performances since January).

Totally. Balls off the post, the bar, the line. We should have been ahead by more at half time.

A strong (physically and personality wise on the pitch) CB is needed IMO. Someone with a calming effect to keep the defence in check when we go a goal down.

Not the only position needed, but would be a fair start.

R'Albin
14-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Agree with this post especially the bit in bold, we desperately need someone who can score goals, a stokes like player, he doesnt need to be particularly skillful just scores goals!

hibee1994
14-05-2011, 06:11 PM
I thought we played fairly well in the first half, getting the ball over the park and getting chances. It was another case of couldn't take our chances. I'm still not convinced Deeks was offside for the disallowed goal or that he went down too easily in the box.

Second half was like barcelona against stenhousemuir. We were overconfident and paid the price. Taggart was skinned every five seconds and Hanlon cannot play LB or LWB. Corner was simple and no one picked up magennis with a stand still header. Towell was better in midfield than when he was moved to RB, probably not individually but the team played better with him there. Stevenson should be a LWB and thats it, he can't score or win a header and i don't see a future for him here. Stephens was brilliant up until he tried to play his way out of trouble against Maguire and we ended up conceding. Galbraith on for Riordan? why even bother with 2 minutes left?

We need to find a strong commanding GK who stays fit. We need two CBs with tactical awareness and not scared of tackling. We need a wide player either left or right to come in when spoony is off form or Vaz is up front. We need a top goalscorer, someone who can score day in day out and last of all we need someone who can take a corner because frankly Miller's were disgusting today.

On the whole, i'd say the team performed well before HT but only Towell and Deeks to a small extent, caried on the good performance. Vaz Te deserves a new contract, Miller showed glimpses of being...decent so he should get another chance and Riordan showed a little of his former self today.

Bring on Season 2011/2012, can't be any worse than this one.