PDA

View Full Version : Most miserable season ever?

Hakim Sar
14-05-2011, 03:54 PM
That whole hibs team is an embarrassment.

What are your feelings at the end of this season?

Hibernia Na Eir
14-05-2011, 03:57 PM

that Colin Calderwood is our worst EVER manager :agree:

grantonhibee
14-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Glad it's over , no one looks interested sorry state of affairs

HibsMax
14-05-2011, 04:02 PM
My feeling is that I'm glad we didn't get relegated and have a lot of work to do before next season.

SteveHFC
14-05-2011, 04:02 PM

Give him till Christmas at least FFS

R'Albin
14-05-2011, 04:04 PM

:rolleyes:

Elephant Stone
14-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Give him till Christmas at least FFS

If it doesn't work out we'll be stuck with a sizeable amount of his choice of squad though. I hope the board are completely convinced before allowing him to build a squad.

JohnScott
14-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Season 2010/2011? One word to describe it - Malaise. Another two? ******* ****! I just hope Rod and co have taken note of our league placing given he wants a ten team league. Turkeys do vote for Christmas it seems.

SteveHFC
14-05-2011, 04:15 PM
This is our worst position in the league since 2002

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-05-2011, 04:19 PM
More depressing than the season we went down. At least that set of players looked interested some of the time.

Hiber-nation
14-05-2011, 04:23 PM
1 point against the bottom 6. Probably the worst squad of Hibs players in our entire history. We left after the 3rd goal - first time I've ever left as early.

How Calderwood is going to turn this round I have no idea. Where the run of wins in Feb-March came from I've no idea. What Petrie and Lindsay will do if CC can't turn it around I've no idea. I'm sick to death of Hibs and next season could well be my last.

Johnny_Leith
14-05-2011, 04:26 PM
We have been hampered by poor finishing all season. Today was a prime example, we should have had Aberdeen dead and buried well before they scored the 2nd.

Oh well, roll on next season:aok:

LancashireHibby
14-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Glad it's over , no one looks interested sorry state of affairs

Many of the squad haven't looked interested in months.

CropleyWasGod
14-05-2011, 04:47 PM
I am having a wee smile to myself here.

Yeah, it's been crap, but most miserable season ever? Gie's peace. As one who has lived through and with the worst that Bertie Auld and Alex Miller laid in front of us, two relegations, 22 in a row.....

Naw. Just naw.:rolleyes:

Kaiser1962
14-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Yeah, it's been crap, but most miserable season ever? Gie's peace. As one who has lived through and with the worst that Bertie Auld and Alex Miller laid in front of us, two relegations, 22 in a row.....

this. just this. some folk need to get a grip.!

CropleyWasGod
14-05-2011, 05:06 PM
this. just this. some folk need to get a grip.!

Indeed. I had an old guy, in his 70's probably, sitting behind me today who had a go at everyone. Not one positive word came out of his mouth. He was with his grandson, and his language was choice, but that's beside the point.

I put up with it, since he "pays his money, blah blah blah". However, midway through the second half, he shouts "this is the worst Hibs team ever".

I started laughing, turned round, and said "Seriously? You mean that?" His answer "well, tell me who's been worse!". So I mentioned "the two relegated teams, for a start".....

He left soon after that.

sesoim
14-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Indeed. I had an old guy, in his 70's probably, sitting behind me today who had a go at everyone. Not one positive word came out of his mouth. He was with his grandson, and his language was choice, but that's beside the point.

I put up with it, since he "pays his money, blah blah blah". However, midway through the second half, he shouts "this is the worst Hibs team ever".

I started laughing, turned round, and said "Seriously? You mean that?" His answer "well, tell me who's been worse!". So I mentioned "the two relegated teams, for a start".....

He left soon after that.

Tbf, we finished 10th when we got relegated. What position did we finish this time?

West Stand View
14-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Just glad the season is over. Too many inept performances. Some decent possession and passing at times but no cutting edge. Today summed it up reasonable first half but chances to finish the game off were wasted and we paid for it big time.

Baldy Foghorn
14-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Just glad the season is over. Too many inept performances. Some decent possession and passing at times but no cutting edge. Today summed it up reasonable first half but chances to finish the game off were wasted and we paid for it big time.

:agree:

Pathetic season with too many players not giving their all for the jersey.....

Removed
14-05-2011, 08:06 PM
:agree:

Pathetic season with too many players not giving their all for the jersey.....

:agree: But no way the most miserable ever.

Always next season though :devil:

Sergey
14-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Failed miserably at our stab in Europe with Yogi inexplicably dropping Riordan and Stokes for the away fixture. Horsed out of the CIS against a piss-poor Killie side and failing to beat Ayr Utd in two matches in the Scottish. We never won one cup match.

I did get blootered at Blackpool, though!

Hiber-nation
14-05-2011, 08:25 PM

He left soon after that.

Agree with most of your posts CWG but this lot are right up there with your Jas Browns, Duncan Lambies and Jamie McQuilkens. The mediocrity is spread more widely though...

Kaiser1962
14-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Tbf, we finished 10th when we got relegated. What position did we finish this time?

You still wanting Craig Brown?

Greenblood70
14-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Thank **** thats over.

Cropley I suffered as well watching Miller teams but the truth is any of his sides would horse the current lot.

Having said that at one point in the season I seriously feared relegation so staying up was at that time the priority. We did that and I'm hoping a summer window will see us add to a squad gie short of quality in almost every position.

I've bought a ST for next year out of blind loyalty rather than any desire to watch the football we play...also I'm trying to convince myself it can't get any worse.

Speedway
14-05-2011, 09:10 PM

He left soon after that.

You expected otherwise from a Hibs fan?

Some of Miller's sides were far worse than this.

matty_f
14-05-2011, 09:14 PM
This has been one of the worst seasons I can remember. I can't remember there ever being the air of inevitability about us that has prevailed this season. To sit waiting for the game to implode week after week is just torturous.

Apathy turned to anger and back to apathy, and I don't think I'm alone in that regard.

Delighted when the final whistle went today for all the wrong reasons. Glad to be getting a break from Hibs for a few weeks and glad to know that the next time I watch Hibs, the team should look fairly different to what we were subjected to this season.

Definitely not a season I'll look back on fondly, for any reason whatsoever.

Hiber-nation
14-05-2011, 09:17 PM
You expected otherwise from a Hibs fan?

Some of Miller's sides were far worse than this.

I was never a Miller fan, having endured his away tactics every 2nd week for 7 or so ***** years but other than 90-91 his record was ok as far as final league positions go. This lot are the worst...1 point from the bottom 6 fixtures?

JohnScott
14-05-2011, 09:41 PM

I know the answer to the question "worst ever season" is a based on opinions so I respect your view. However like you I saw all of the teams you mention and I was at most of them home and away. This is by FAR AND AWAY the worst season I can remember. Players on the park who think theyre better than they actually are; No leadership on it? (when did we last have someone like a Jackie Mac or even Gordon Rae?) We're treading water for crying out loud. Hibs and Aberdeen in the bottom six. Hamilton playing to 2000 most home games. The worst Celtic and Rangers teams for years miles ahead of 3rd placed Hearts. Games in the SFL with crowds less than the number of stewards at Parkhead or Ibrox..............."Worst ever season?" Aye. Just Aye. :rolleyes:

CropleyWasGod
14-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I know the answer to the question "worst ever season" is a based on opinions so I respect your view. However like you I saw all of the teams you mention and I was at most of them home and away. This is by FAR AND AWAY the worst season I can remember. Players on the park who think theyre better than they actually are; No leadership on it? (when did we last have someone like a Jackie Mac or even Gordon Rae?) We're treading water for crying out loud. Hibs and Aberdeen in the bottom six. Hamilton playing to 2000 most home games. The worst Celtic and Rangers teams for years miles ahead of 3rd placed Hearts. Games in the SFL with crowds less than the number of stewards at Parkhead or Ibrox..............."Worst ever season?" Aye. Just Aye. :rolleyes:

Being pedantic, I know, but the word was "miserable". Personally, I felt more miserable when we went down, particularly the first time. The end of the Turnbull era.

Like you say, though, it's opinions :agree:

Bishop Hibee
14-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Brown, Booth and Sodje can be excluded from this and Hanlon to a degree.

Sorry, he's got a lot to do to beat Duff Jimmy and Yogi.

My feeling is that I'm glad we didn't get relegated and have a lot of work to do before next season.

:top marks

Thank God for a 12 team league. Petrie etc should think of this when the vote comes up!

7-8 new players needed.

7Hero
14-05-2011, 09:57 PM
my feeling as always is that the board and the owner are a bunch of *************

Speedway
14-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I was never a Miller fan, having endured his away tactics every 2nd week for 7 or so ***** years but other than 90-91 his record was ok as far as final league positions go. This lot are the worst...1 point from the bottom 6 fixtures?

Miller's 90-91 side were Britain's lowest scoring side. If the opposition scored, the game was over. Davie Fellinger, Derby games, One up front every match, it was brutal back then.

CropleyWasGod
14-05-2011, 10:01 PM
my feeling as always is that the board and the owner are a bunch of *************

It's late, and I am struggling to count the number of asterisks.

Gonny splain? :wink:

Hiber-nation
14-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Miller's 90-91 side were Britain's lowest scoring side. If the opposition scored, the game was over. Davie Fellinger, Derby games, One up front every match, it was brutal back then.

Yep it was awful then but there might have been extenuating circumstances. We were going doon the pan. We've got everything set up now, but these players managed to obtain 1 point from the worst bottom 6 in the history of the SPL. Because the standard gets worse each season doesn't it?

I'm still behind CC though...

Spike Mandela
15-05-2011, 09:07 AM
The worrying thing is not how crap this season has been but the fact there is no evidence to suggest next year will be any better.

Steve-O
15-05-2011, 09:13 AM
I absolutely gave up on them in the end, wasn't even bothered about the results towards the end and made a bit of money by betting on anyone and everyone to beat us.

Golden Bear
15-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Absolute dross, embarressment, disappointment, frustration, anger, -------------------------------- but roughly seven weeks from now we'll all be dying for the start of the new season.

:greengrin

Green_one
15-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Thank **** thats over.

Cropley I suffered as well watching Miller teams but the truth is any of his sides would horse the current lot.Having said that at one point in the season I seriously feared relegation so staying up was at that time the priority. We did that and I'm hoping a summer window will see us add to a squad gie short of quality in almost every position.

I've bought a ST for next year out of blind loyalty rather than any desire to watch the football we play...also I'm trying to convince myself it can't get any worse.

:agree: Pretty much my view

Hopeful for next season but not expectant. Almost nothing to build on except a few young defenders. CC better be good in the transfer market but he has little time to gell them into a team. After a final phase of zero wins, why o why did we not give our youngsters a good run out? Even if it was just to have a final look at guys we might release. Lower Top 6 (5th or 6th) would be my best target. Every section of the team needs improved. Just happy not relegated.

JohnScott
15-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Being pedantic, I know, but the word was "miserable". Personally, I felt more miserable when we went down, particularly the first time. The end of the Turnbull era.

No your not being pedantic Crops, I stand corrected. However I still feel this is the most "miserable" season ever. Oh and I say that as one of the 1200 who attended the Partick game at ER when we'd already been relegated in 1980.
So if that game was one of our lowest moments as Hibs fans I'm surely entitled to my opinion that this season has been THE most miserable. (Hence worst lol)

Saw your post about the "old guy" behind you. Best be careful saying that as you and I are auld guys to most in here :wink:

I know its easy to be negative so I wait with interest to see what CC comes up with Cropley. Was a bit taken aback by his radio interview when he was asked if he'd be here next season himself and he began by skirting round a definite yes. What was that about?

Good positive from Sheffield United by the way. Just been relegated to League One yet they are looking at a full house for their home leg of their youth cup final against Man U. Each season ticket holder was given two free tickets but many more are buying them. There are positives in the modern game after all. I also see Yogi's been quoted for the job as Blades manager. :aok:

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-05-2011, 10:35 AM
I was too miserable to look at the table last night, but had our one nil away win at St Mirren gone the other way, then we would have finished second bottom and is a disgrace. To end up 16 points behind ICT who were middling 1st div side who found some late season form last year is truly shamefull. What is clear, is that in SPL terms, this is a low as we can go.

BEEJ
15-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I just hope Rod and co have taken note of our league placing given he wants a ten team league. Turkeys do vote for Christmas it seems.
Excellent observation. :agree:

This has been one of the worst seasons I can remember. I can't remember there ever being the air of inevitability about us that has prevailed this season. To sit waiting for the game to implode week after week is just torturous.

Apathy turned to anger and back to apathy, and I don't think I'm alone in that regard.

Delighted when the final whistle went today for all the wrong reasons. Glad to be getting a break from Hibs for a few weeks and glad to know that the next time I watch Hibs, the team should look fairly different to what we were subjected to this season.

Definitely not a season I'll look back on fondly, for any reason whatsoever.
Succinct and to the point. :top marks

Craig_in_Prague
15-05-2011, 12:59 PM
It's certainly been very depressing season indeed, the worse since 98.

We were pretty gash under Mixu, but at least we had a decent derby record and the excitement of Deeks' return. The last couple of years it seems we're removing not only the gash at the club, but anything with an ounce of quality has moved on or will be.

The most depressing thing of all, is that I fear next season won't really be any better!

There's something seriously wrong at the club and we're a bog standard SPL side, and must be every other clubs favourite side to play against.

Thank god there's a few weeks now where Hibs can't dampen our weekends.

Lets hope there's some really decent signings that give us all new fresh hope. But I'm not holding my breathe at all.

Enjoy your summer folks
:flag:

erin go bragh
15-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Mid january i would have took 10th place , end of.
For a bad season think back to 98 when we got relegated and the pink mob won the scottish cup . so compared to that this seasons no too bad :greengrin
Looking forward to next season and our new look squad.
ggtth

Sir David Gray
15-05-2011, 01:34 PM
This is certainly the most miserable season that I have seen us having.

I can vaguely recall season 97-98 when we went down but I was only 9/10 years old.

This is the first time since we were relegated 13 years ago that we have averaged less than 1 point per game over the course of a season and I think that speaks volumes about how this season has gone.

I am sure that I'm not alone when I say that I am fast losing interest with all things Hibs and it's been heading that way over the past two or three years.

A major rebuilding process is required at the club and if that is not done, then the signs are there that we could be looking at another relegation battle next year. If 3 teams are to go down next season then we really could be in trouble.

PeterboroHibee
15-05-2011, 01:42 PM
It was an awful season, although worst ever is a bit much.

We had very little to cheer about though; crap football on the pitch, struggling to get results for most of the season, done nothing in the cups. In terms of the players, only a few of them can finish this season with any sort of dignity, and Im glad a big chunk of them are no longer at Hibs!

CC has a big job over the summer, he needs to make signings that are really going to turn things around as what we have at the moment is nowhere near good enough.

Kojock
15-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Has to rank amongst the top three most miserable seasons since I started going to ER mid sixties.

10th place finish
61 goals conceded
no wins against Hearts
never beat the OF at home
pumped out of three competitions in the first round by Maribor, Killie and the mighty Ayr Utd
lost last six games to the six bottom teams
lost goals to St Johnstone who hadn't scored in over 1000 minutes
lost to Hamilton who hadn't won a game at home all season

Im seriously worried about next season if CC doesn't pull a rabbit out the hat (and I mean a rabbit of Harvey proportion) during the close season then I can't see how next seson is going to be any better. :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

The Falcon
16-05-2011, 06:21 AM
It was an awful season, although worst ever is a bit much.

CC has a big job over the summer, he needs to make signings that are really going to turn things around as what we have at the moment is nowhere near good enough.

Correct on both points and we need to realise the magnitude of the task and let the man do it. The foundations for this season were laid long before it and, while the contract situation was engineeered and needed to be done, it didnt help.

There has been a poor attitude surrounding the squad this season and while this is not the worst season I have had to endure, nor is it the worst set of players we have ever had, the attitude and application is up there and as bad as it gets. No sense of belief, pride or determination and thats a personality issue that no amount of coaching will modify.

sahib
16-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Has to rank amongst the top three most miserable seasons since I started going to ER mid sixties.

10th place finish
61 goals conceded
no wins against Hearts
pumped out of three competitions in the first round by Maribor, Killie and the mighty Ayr Utd

Im seriously worried about next season if CC doesn't pull a rabbit out the hat (and I mean a rabbit of Harvey proportion) during the close season then I can't see how next seson is going to be any better. :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

I am with you on this one mate. I watched some of the worst games of football, I have ever seen, this season.

Dashing Bob S
16-05-2011, 07:24 AM

10th place finish
61 goals conceded
no wins against Hearts

This post pretty much sums it up. I think weve managed to get ourselves stuck with another turkey in Calderwood. Im npt going along with all this "wait till he has another transfer window before criticising", his record is deplorable and worthy of criticism in a results-based sport.

And his brand of 'football' is eye-bleeding shee-ite.

basehibby
16-05-2011, 12:05 PM

This season was only a five game winning streak away from the unmittigated disaster that relegation would have been. Other than that short burst of victories it has been absolutely dreadful from start to finish.

It started on a sour note with a whimpering exit from Europe at the hands of a team we should have reasonably expected Hibs to compete with. We had the loss of our 20 goal striker - Stokes - to Celtic for a relatively paltry sum to contend with, and on the incoming side what hopes we had for the thoroughly UN-ambitious loan signing of Duffy to supposedly replace Stokes, were scuppered when he was injured before kicking a ball in anger.

We could all see during 09/10 that our midfield lacked a competitive edge and hopes were high that the signing of DeGraff would go some way to plugging this gap as well as adding a bit of class. Our hopes here were also set to be dashed as DeGraff appeared slower than a week in Saughton as the pace of the SPL seemed to pass him by, and his confidence was surely blunted by a series of near misses that could have got him off to a much better start to life at ER.

It's got to be said in retrospect that, together with the signings of Dicoh and Hart in defence and Trakys up front, the incoming signings when weighed against the departure of Stokes were not exactly awe inspiring and perhaps we should not have been surprised that they failed to turn around a team that had been struggling to buy a point towards the end of 09/10.

For me the blame for the absolutely appalling start to the season has to be equally apportioned between Hughes and the board - the new recruits turned out to be woefully short of the quality which was needed to move the team forward as results on the park were to prove, costing Hughes his job in due course.

The signing of Calderwood drew a line under the Hughes era, serving to bring together a support which had been riven by sack him/back him disputes for many months under Hughes. But our patience was to be severely tested under CC - who managed to eat up another 2 or 3 months of the season - including yet another massive kick in the guts for the support in the shape of a pathetic and humiliating cup exit to lowly Ayr Utd - before finding an admittedly excellent streak of form courtesy of his batch of new signings at THE END of january.

Once again, the board must share the blame with the management team and players for this pathetic surrender in the Scottish Cup, having shown a damnable lack of urgency in strengthening the struggling squad by waiting until the very last days of the january window before signing anyone while showing little hesitation in letting go two classy if inconsistent performers in Bamba and Zemama.

There followed the only bright spot of the season in the shape of a 5 game winning streak which assured us of SPL football next season while affording us some hope that Calderwood DOES know what he's doing in the transfer market and can deliver results when it matters.

But that was to be followed by a bewildering drop off after safety had been secured and the top 6 was out of reach - we know that these games were pretty meaningless, but 1 point out of 15 against the bottom 6 is a trully pathetic return for which I hope that the present incumbents of the green jerseys are hanging their heads in shame.

All in all an absolutely murderous season which has left most Hibbies scratching their heads and wondering when buying a ST for ER started doubling up for a nine month helping of applied sado-masochism and ritualised self abuse.

Major improvements are desparately needed ON THE PARK for next season otherwise impressive strides made over the last decade in boosting ST sales WILL be thrown away and turn over will fall sharply. I fervently hope that the board made the correct decision in appointing Calderwood - the coming summer window he will certainly have to prove his mettle!

iwasthere1972
16-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Glad it's over.

Got fed up this season looking at the time and thinking sh*t is there still an hour to go. :agree:

jdships
16-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Yes 1980 was also the worst for me
At that time I was still travelling to most away games and the journeys home became so depressing .
1998 was followed ny a good 1999 and 2000 which helped erase the memory of '98.
As always it is "to each his own " re opinion ( don't forget age either :greengrin)