PDA

View Full Version : fa cup final TV

hibsbollah
14-05-2011, 01:22 PM
since when was this not on council telly? i thought it was on the protected list of games?

H18sry
14-05-2011, 01:24 PM
since when was this not on council telly? i thought it was on the protected list of games?

It is on ITV London [993 on Sky], Scottish TV have not taken up the option of showing it.

hibsbollah
14-05-2011, 01:29 PM
It is on ITV London [993 on Sky], Scottish TV have not taken up the option of showing it.

Found it! 853 on virgin media. mrs bollah is a stoke fan.

Leicester Fan
14-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Found it! 853 on virgin media. mrs bollah is a stoke fan.

Give her my commiserations.Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone.:na na:

LancashireHibby
14-05-2011, 04:24 PM
United and Citeh winning a trophy on the same day? I'm not leaving the house for at least a week.

hibsbollah
14-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Give her my commiserations.Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone.:na na:

It made a nice change for someone else in the houseto be depressed about football on a saturday afternoon tbh :-)

Sir David Gray
14-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Well done to City for ending their 35 year wait for a single trophy. :thumbsup:

Hope they kept the place nice and clean before United go down to Wembley in a fortnight to contest a real trophy. :greengrin

LancashireHibby
14-05-2011, 06:23 PM
City won arguably the most recognisable trophy in football according to the bellend commentator on ESPN! Those removed really love themselves!
In fairness, I'd say it IS the most recognisable trophy.

Woody1985
14-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Easy to say the most recognisable trophy when you're from Britain.

Do other countries care?

Do we get much news on other equivalent cup finals? The coppa del rey only got exposure because of the finalists this year.

Do other countries get news headlines going on about that cup? Unlikely I'd say.

Removed
14-05-2011, 06:39 PM
In fairness, I'd say it IS the most recognisable trophy.

I'd say the most recognisable is either the European cup or World cup

LancashireHibby
14-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Easy to say the most recognisable trophy when you're from Britain.

Do other countries care?

Do we get much news on other equivalent cup finals? The coppa del rey only got exposure because of the finalists this year.

Do other countries get news headlines going on about that cup? Unlikely I'd say.

Screened all over the world and every year there used to be foreigners on either side being interviewed about growing up watching the FA Cup Final etc.

Woody1985
14-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Used to be? Every new Celtic player has supported them since before they were conceived.

Lots of games are screened all over the world.

Is it more to do with the English continuing to promote their game though?

Either way, makes no odds to me.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-05-2011, 06:51 PM
I'd say the most recognisable is either the European cup or World cup

Exactly!

Removed
14-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Screened all over the world and every year there used to be foreigners on either side being interviewed about growing up watching the FA Cup Final etc.

Today showed how far it has fallen then. When I was growing up FA & SFA cup finals were special days. Full day build up, no other matches being played with the majority of football supporting public north & south of the border watching or taping. Todays was a bit off a joke. Special enough for the Man City & Stoke fans but surely a total scheduling mistake from the FA.

Sir David Gray
14-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Today showed how far it has fallen then. When I was growing up FA & SFA cup finals were special days. Full day build up, no other matches being played with the majority of football supporting public north & south of the border watching or taping. Todays was a bit off a joke. Special enough for the Man City & Stoke fans but surely a total scheduling mistake from the FA.

Not sure that they had any other choice, given the UEFA rules stating that no match should be played at the host stadium of the Champions League final in the 14 days leading up to it.

Apart from holding it the weekend after the Champions League final, I suppose they could have done that, but that would have meant the season not ending until June.

hibsbollah
14-05-2011, 07:02 PM
80000+ crowd, sounded like a great atmosphere to me. still a special game IMO.

LancashireHibby
14-05-2011, 07:13 PM

Not the fault of the FA as such, but they're stuck in the middle with ever decreasing influence over the power-mad Premier League and UEFA.

Removed
14-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Not sure that they had any other choice, given the UEFA rules stating that no match should be played at the host stadium of the Champions League final in the 14 days leading up to it.

Apart from holding it the weekend after the Champions League final, I suppose they could have done that, but that would have meant the season not ending until June.

Not the fault of the FA as such, but they're stuck in the middle with ever decreasing influence over the power-mad Premier League and UEFA.

What was wrong with playing all premiership games tomorrow?

And are you telling us the date of the CL final was a surprise to the FA?

Sir David Gray
14-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Sky have 3 live matches this weekend.

Blackburn v Man Utd
Chelsea v Newcastle
Arsenal v Aston Villa

They couldn't show them all tomorrow.

Removed
14-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Blackburn v Man Utd
Chelsea v Newcastle
Arsenal v Aston Villa

There is your answer then. It's all about Sky, bollocks to everyone else :bitchy:

LancashireHibby
14-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Because then the Premier League wouldn't be able to screen as many games as usual.

And I think the FA probably were surprised by the two week shutdown before the Champions League final.

Removed
14-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Because then the Premier League wouldn't be able to screen as many games as usual.

And I think the FA probably were surprised by the two week shutdown before the Champions League final.

See my previous post.

Sell your traditions for the Sky £. Very sad.

LancashireHibby
14-05-2011, 09:25 PM
See my previous post.

Sell your traditions for the Sky £. Very sad.

Very much so, and little wonder why so many people are simply disaffected by the game these days. Sadly, the pubs in town were rammed with Reds and Blues alike today, though mainly the types who wouldn't even consider actually going to support their team in person.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-05-2011, 09:36 PM

What about playing the final in Cardiff then? I'm sure its been played there before!

Removed
14-05-2011, 09:40 PM
What about playing the final in Cardiff then? I'm sure its been played there before!

Good shout, but the FA spent so much on rebuilding Wembley they have to get as much money as they can back. That's why they persist on playing semis there as well when it's not ligistically sensible.

Steve-O
15-05-2011, 02:11 AM

True enough. It is the case 'down under' that there is a tradition of people watching the FA Cup Final every year :agree:

hibbytam
15-05-2011, 03:31 AM
I did think it was quite amusing that the English had the FA cup final, and the Scots had.......... the cuban missile crisis, in the form of the film 13 days.

ronaldo7
15-05-2011, 07:46 AM

Blackburn v Man Utd
Chelsea v Newcastle
Arsenal v Aston Villa

Why not?

They have 4 sports channels. They could have shown those 3 games you've highlighted on one channel and still left the other 3 for the SPL:wink:

Makaveli
15-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Why not?

They have 4 sports channels. They could have shown those 3 games you've highlighted on one channel and still left the other 3 for the SPL:wink:

Greed is the short answer. The football viewing audience would be split if more than one game was on at once, so advertising revenue would be well down on showing them all separately.

PISTOL1875
15-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Well done to City for ending their 35 year wait for a single trophy. :thumbsup:

Hope they kept the place nice and clean before United go down to Wembley in a fortnight to contest a real trophy. :greengrin

Maybe you could volunteer to travel down and take down your little banner....

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-05-2011, 11:43 AM
See my previous post. <br />
<br />
Sell your traditions for the Sky £. Very sad.<br />
<br /Kinda on topic as regards football moving away from the fans. Whereas many City and Stoke fans would have had to make do with the tele yesterday, a bloke from my work went to the FA cup final. He is a bluenose, and four tickets from the corporate allocation were kicking around his golf club for weeks looking for any takers. Sure the others went to two Pars fans, and another who doesn't really care for football, but was up for the "afters" in London. That just can't be right in any shape or form.

thebakerboy
15-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Given eufa's no games at Champions League Final for 2 weeks before , when and where are the English League play off final matches being played. Tried the Football League website but not mentioned. anyone got any ideas?????????????
Found the answer finally It's to be on the English Bank Holiday Monday at Wembly after the CL final.

Keith_M
15-05-2011, 12:18 PM
I personally think it's terrible that the FA Cup has effectivley been demoted like this.

As said previously, the Scottish and FA Cups used to be played on a Saturday with no other game being played that day. They were a fitting finale to the season.

Removed
15-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Given eufa's no games at Champions League Final for 2 weeks before , when and where are the English League play off final matches being played. Tried the Football League website but not mentioned. anyone got any ideas?????????????
Found the answer finally It's to be on the English Bank Holiday Monday at Wembly after the CL final.

It's a Scottish bank holiday as well :wink:

Sir David Gray
15-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Maybe you could volunteer to travel down and take down your little banner....

:hilarious Good idea!

Maybe replace it with the following;

League titles

United-19
City-2

FA Cups

United-11
City-5

League Cups

United-4
City-2

European titles

United-3
City-0

TOTAL

United-37
City-9

Don't worry, I'm sure the banner will be going back up next year (starting with "1" of course!). :wink:

hibsbollah
15-05-2011, 03:30 PM
:hilarious Good idea!

Maybe replace it with the following;

League titles

United-19
City-2

FA Cups

United-11
City-5

League Cups

United-4
City-2

European titles

United-3
City-0

TOTAL

United-37
City-9

Don't worry, I'm sure the banner will be going back up next year (starting with "1" of course!). :wink:

Sounds very.much like a sad yam banner at the last tynecastle derby. pissing contests over who has the best historical records is very yam-like behaviour.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Sounds very.much like a sad yam banner at the last tynecastle derby. pissing contests over who has the best historical records is very yam-like behaviour.

At least Man Utd fans are justified in their claims that they are a bigger and more successful side than City, unlike our neighbours who claim to be the "big" side in the city, despite actually winning less trophies than we have over the past 40 years.

There's not really a comparison between United and City.

HibbyAndy
15-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Who gives a f uck???

Seriously..FalkirkHibee are you a Man u fan or a Hibee??? Same old boring tiresome Man u threads with YOU at the front:yawn:

PISTOL1875
15-05-2011, 10:24 PM
At least Man Utd fans are justified in their claims that they are a bigger and more successful side than City, unlike our neighbours who claim to be the "big" side in the city, despite actually winning less trophies than we have over the past 40 years.

There's not really a comparison between United and City.

There is only 1 team in Manchester mate...

Sir David Gray
15-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Seriously..FalkirkHibee are you a Man u fan or a Hibee??? Same old boring tiresome Man u threads with YOU at the front:yawn:

You're just getting scared that you might be taking on my forfeit if United beat Barca in the Champions League final. :greengrin

I rarely start threads on here that are about Man Utd, I only contribute to them. :agree:

HibbyAndy
15-05-2011, 10:32 PM
You're just getting scared that you might be taking on my forfeit if United beat Barca in the Champions League final. :greengrin

I rarely start threads on here that are about Man Utd, I only contribute to them. :agree:

So you never denied your a Man U fan mare than a Hibs fan :greengrin

Removed
15-05-2011, 10:32 PM
There is only 1 team in Manchester mate...

I think that was his point :wink:

Removed
15-05-2011, 10:34 PM
So you never denied your a Man U fan mare than a Hibs fan :greengrin

Andy, it annoys me as well but FH has been pretty consistent in his views between Man U and Hibs.

There is no way he can be a Man U fan more than Hibs - he hasn't even seen them live :rolleyes:

He's :fishin: and you bite every time :greengrin

HibbyAndy
15-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Andy, it annoys me as well but FH has been pretty consistent in his views between Man U and Hibs.

There is no way he can be a Man U fan more than Hibs - he hasn't even seen them live :rolleyes:

He's :fishin: and you bite every time :greengrin

Nae mare :greengrin

Sir David Gray
15-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Nae mare :greengrin

'Till next time, eh! :greengrin

Just be glad that I'll be away on the weekend of the Champions League final. :greengrin

And, no, I won't be at Wembley! :wink:

Sir David Gray
15-05-2011, 11:03 PM
I will say this much for City, though.

They certainly trump United in the celebrity musician fans stakes. Mick Hucknall's not really a patch on Oasis. :greengrin

Removed
15-05-2011, 11:09 PM
I will say this much for City, though.

They certainly trump United in the celebrity musician fans stakes. Mick Hucknall's not really a patch on Oasis. :greengrin

:agree: or Rick Wakeman and Johnny Marr

Bristolhibby
16-05-2011, 06:46 AM

What about the League 2 & League 1 Playoff finals.

League 1 is ok, traditionally on the Sunday.

League 2 is always on the BH Saturday, the day of the Champions League Final.

J

Posh Swanny
16-05-2011, 08:53 AM
League One and League Two playoff finals are at Old Trafford. :boo hoo:

League One is on Sunday 29th. I think League Two is on the Saturday.

LancashireHibby
16-05-2011, 09:17 AM
League One and League Two playoff finals are at Old Trafford. :boo hoo:

League One is on Sunday 29th. I think League Two is on the Saturday.

Correct, with the Championship play-off final at Wembley on Monday 30th.

Old Trafford final suits me in the unlikely event of Accrington getting there (though I've got a few mates who support Huddersfield so might tag along for that).

HH81
16-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I'll be going if huddersfield get there. FH if you like I will take you some pictures so you can see what the inside of old trafford looks like on a match day. It must get boring seeing the same view on tv. Let me know.

Posh Swanny
16-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Correct, with the Championship play-off final at Wembley on Monday 30th.

Old Trafford final suits me in the unlikely event of Accrington getting there (though I've got a few mates who support Huddersfield so might tag along for that).

The League One final should be a cracker whoever gets there - though Huddersfield can be a little more dour than the other three. If we get there it will probably be another goal-fest whoever we play, which I'm not sure my heart could take in real life after the Posh games I've watched on the telly so far this season. A 4-4, a 3-3 and a 2-3 might be entertaining for the masses and Gary Birtles, but God do I wish we could win a game 2-0 with a goal 15 minutes into each half!!!

I quite fancy Stanley in the second leg at fortress Crown!

HH81
16-05-2011, 03:18 PM
The League One final should be a cracker whoever gets there - tthough Huddersfield can be a little more dour than the other three. If we get there it will probably be another goal-fest whoever we play, which I'm not sure my heart could take in real life after the Posh games I've watched on the telly so far this season. A 4-4, a 3-3 and a 2-3 might be entertaining for the masses and Gary Birtles, but God do I wish we could win a game 2-0 with a goal 15 minutes into each half!!!

I quite fancy Stanley in the second leg at fortress Crown!

The same dour side that finished 8 points ahead of Posh and didn't lose in the last 24 or so league games. what an odd comment to make. :confused: