PDA

View Full Version : A donkey speaks

Luna_Asylum
14-05-2011, 07:43 AM
And tells us that we are talking down our own game while the rest of he world looks on positively. Helipcopter sundays - the "passion drama excitment"

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/League-chief-hopes-for-an.6768030.jp

What a load of nonsense

matty_f
14-05-2011, 07:54 AM
And tells us that we are talking down our own game while the rest of he world looks on positively. Helipcopter sundays - the "passion drama excitment"

What a load of nonsense

It's not that much nonsense, to be fair. We are guilty of talking down the game massively in this country. We appear to revel in denouncing it and seem to have done a great job in convincing ourselves that we're all terrible.

Yet in fairly recent years we've had two UEFA Cup finalists from this country, and like it or loath it, the split has kept the title race going right to the wire, and we've seen that with the European places and relegation spots over recent seasons as well.

The quality of the game is nowhere near as bad as people make out. I'm not saying it's great, just not as bad as folk would have us believe.

I dunno if it's a Scottish thing, a football thing or what, but it certainly happens a lot on this forum. We have had defeats recently where we've played alright - the home loss to Hamilton stands out as a game where we battered the opposition and were, in my view, unlucky not to take anything from the game. The aftermath on here was unreal! Same with the draw in the derby. Thumped the Yams for 70 minutes and could (should) have won by 4 or 5 goals. Instead, we get post after post pointing to how we could have been 3 down.

Same goes for players, who get slated on here despite being nowhere near as bad as made out. Look at the Dickoh thread that's running at the moment for an example.

Luna_Asylum
14-05-2011, 07:59 AM
It's not that much nonsense, to be fair. We are guilty of talking down the game massively in this country. We appear to revel in denouncing it and seem to have done a great job in convincing ourselves that we're all terrible.

Yet in fairly recent years we've had two UEFA Cup finalists from this country, and like it or loath it, the split has kept the title race going right to the wire, and we've seen that with the European places and relegation spots over recent seasons as well.

The quality of the game is nowhere near as bad as people make out. I'm not saying it's great, just not as bad as folk would have us believe.

I dunno if it's a Scottish thing, a football thing or what, but it certainly happens a lot on this forum. We have had defeats recently where we've played alright - the home loss to Hamilton stands out as a game where we battered the opposition and were, in my view, unlucky not to take anything from the game. The aftermath on here was unreal! Same with the draw in the derby. Thumped the Yams for 70 minutes and could (should) have won by 4 or 5 goals. Instead, we get post after post pointing to how we could have been 3 down.

Same goes for players, who get slated on here despite being nowhere near as bad as made out. Look at the Dickoh thread that's running at the moment for an example.

I said on that thread I was happy if he stayed.

down the slope
14-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Whilst i do think we talk our game down to much i think Donkey is just a spin merchant and not a very good one at that.

R'Albin
14-05-2011, 08:04 AM

:agree:

matty_f
14-05-2011, 08:06 AM
I said on that thread I was happy if he stayed.

Well done.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Once said to someone during an appraisal, you should work in a photo lab, as you have no problem concentraing on the negatives. Such is the state that we are in just now, the bad pile is huge, and the diplomatic way to handle it, is to skim and paraphrase. The good pile is meagre, and the way it is handled is to inflate and over-egg things. There will be a lot of SPL fans that will want to see the back of this season. Us, the Sheep, Hamilton and whoever ends up second tomorrow. The other teams all have positives to ponder.

Saorsa
14-05-2011, 08:20 AM

What a load of nonsenseHe might be peeing his pants about flying in a helicopter and the excitement of which of those ****my teams wins the league, I couldnae give a toss.

Jack
14-05-2011, 08:48 AM

You're absolutely right. Too many folk think the SPL and the CL should be the same and the likes of ourselves and the others should be playing as well as Europes elite clubs. We can't afford Messi but Rankin gets steamrolled for not being better than him.

Steve-O
14-05-2011, 08:54 AM
I can confirm from the other side of the world that very few people give a flying one about 'helicopter Sunday' outside of Scotland, and I would wager that VERY few people even know it's the last day of the season and the title is still up for grabs.

Most people abroad think Scottish Football IS Rangers and Celtic (and are surprised to hear I don't support either), end of.

Removed
14-05-2011, 09:00 AM
I've had talksport on for the past hour and not heard the SPL mentioned once.

Saorsa
14-05-2011, 09:21 AM
I've had talksport on for the past hour and not heard the SPL mentioned once.Cannae be right surely?

"The reputation of the game in Scotland, certainly throughout Europe, south of the Border and in the rest of the world, is extremely positive."

or could it be that, Doncaster is talking a load of absolute pish again and naebody really gives a toss.

I ken what my money would go on.

Don Giovanni
14-05-2011, 09:31 AM
He might be peeing his pants about flying in a helicopter and the excitement of which of those ****my teams wins the league, I couldnae give a toss....

....if the delusional wind-bag fell out.

:greengrin

Saorsa
14-05-2011, 09:36 AM
....if the delusional wind-bag fell out.

:greengrin:greengrin

I'd be quite happy though if it just took him back tae Norwich.

alexedwards
14-05-2011, 01:09 PM

What a load of nonsense

Absolutely. If it's that good what's he want to change it for? :wink:

hibsbollah
14-05-2011, 01:44 PM

good post.

Forza Fred
14-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Cannae be right surely?

"The reputation of the game in Scotland, certainly throughout Europe, south of the Border and in the rest of the world, is extremely positive."

or could it be that, Doncaster is talking a load of absolute pish again and naebody really gives a toss.

I ken what my money would go on.

Scottish fitba does not rate amention down here.

You have to sign up to Setanta to see any coverage at all.

Never see it on free to air or on Foxtel which is the Pay Tv channel.

As my Kiwi cousin said, people here know about Rangers and Celtic, but that's it.

Sum intererst in SPL =zero. (other than rusted on, removed old farts like me)

Doncaster should stop indulging in wishful thinking.

Sir David Gray
14-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Nobody outside of Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic will care less about what happens tomorrow.

hibernian36
14-05-2011, 10:57 PM
<p>
Nobody outside of Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic will care less about what happens tomorrow.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
Donkey is a complete fandan and the very sound of his voice in interviews grates on me.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fandan

Forza Fred
14-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Nobody outside of Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic will care less about what happens tomorrow.

What happens tomorrow?

Steve-O
15-05-2011, 02:08 AM
Scottish fitba does not rate amention down here.

You have to sign up to Setanta to see any coverage at all.

Never see it on free to air or on Foxtel which is the Pay Tv channel.

As my Kiwi cousin said, people here know about Rangers and Celtic, but that's it.

Sum intererst in SPL =zero. (other than rusted on, removed old farts like me)

Doncaster should stop indulging in wishful thinking.

And here in NZ we get NO coverage at all!!

alexedwards
15-05-2011, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=matty_fairnie;2801697]It's not that much nonsense, to be fair. We are guilty of talking down the game massively in this country. We appear to revel in denouncing it and seem to have done a great job in convincing ourselves that we're all terrible.
Yet in fairly recent years we've had two UEFA Cup finalists from this country,

One of these cup finalists embarrassed the nation beyond belief - much prefer they weren't there. In their other Cup Winners Cup Final it was a pitch invasion - way to go a 100% record of proving you should never play in a euro final.
No revelling in denouncing here - just pure shame in undiluted facts.