PDA

View Full Version : Out of Curiosity how is sectarianism dealt with in primary / high school / youths?

pacorosssco
14-05-2011, 12:08 AM
I recall no such problems in the Edinburgh area or do I remember wrong?

What goes wrong as we become supporters or adults

Anyone raised Glasgow or outside Edinburgh or anyone who has other experiences?

blairwallace
14-05-2011, 12:57 AM
on Monday a pupil (hearts fan) at the school I go to was chatting to a teacher (celtic "follower") who both get on quite well were talking about the game and the pupil was going on about how he absouloutly despises Celtic and was saying how he picked it all up from his mum and dad with the odd singing of "we all live in a proddie housing scheme" which the teacher did take it light hearted and as a laugh but throughout my 12 years of education the only talk about sectarianism is from the stories from the teachers who have experienced it, one being a Religious Moral Education teacher (ayre fan) who told is stories about him going to tynecastle and hearts fans making monkey noises towards one of their players, he also said there was some sectarianism at easter road and plenty from the ugly sisters, sectarianism is cutting down gradually in Scotland though apparently.

pacorosssco
14-05-2011, 01:30 AM
on Monday a pupil (hearts fan) at the school I go to was chatting to a teacher (celtic "follower") who both get on quite well were talking about the game and the pupil was going on about how he absouloutly despises Celtic and was saying how he picked it all up from his mum and dad with the odd singing of "we all live in a proddie housing scheme" which the teacher did take it light hearted and as a laugh but throughout my 12 years of education the only talk about sectarianism is from the stories from the teachers who have experienced it, one being a Religious Moral Education teacher (ayre fan) who told is stories about him going to tynecastle and hearts fans making monkey noises towards one of their players, he also said there was some sectarianism at easter road and plenty from the ugly sisters, sectarianism is cutting down gradually in Scotland though apparently.

My apologies. Too many sherbets. I have changed the title . I meant to say in a football environment. I am well aware of the problems on a bigger scale and for me the division at school created a divide even with those you lived near grew up with and as boys were friends with but at the same time time don't remember religion being a huge problem as you made your own circles apart from the odd exception

The Harp
14-05-2011, 07:55 AM

I take it your English teacher is long-winded ... all the above in ONE sentence!!! :wink:

IWasThere2016
14-05-2011, 08:16 AM
I recall no such problems in the Edinburgh area or do I remember wrong?

What goes wrong as we become supporters or adults

Anyone raised Glasgow or outside Edinburgh or anyone who has other experiences?

I grew up in Glenrothes, and the town had masses of Glaswegians relocated therein. Therefore, there was a lot of OF fans and a lot of bigotry. I imagine it is just as evident today as it was then. It is rife in deepest darkest Fife - eg Lochgelly, Cowdenbeath, Ballingry, Kelty etc at all ages from teens up IMHO.

ginger_rice
14-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I grew up in Glenrothes, and the town had masses of Glaswegians relocated therein. Therefore, there was a lot of OF fans and a lot of bigotry. I imagine it is just as evident today as it was then. It is rife in deepest darkest Fife - eg Lochgelly, Cowdenbeath, Ballingry, Kelty etc at all ages from teens up IMHO.

It's still the same in a lot of the former mining villages around here, epsecially close to an OF match, and most of the *******s involved have never been to a game!

One thing that does spring to mind is that perhaps schools don't actually do enough to tackle sectarianism, religious tolerance is taught kids are shown the differences and similarities between all of the worlds major religions, but perhaps we need to concentrate more on the problems being taught in the home.

I'll say one thing that this thread is in imminent danger of being hijacked by the anti faith school brigade, and that particular old chetsnut has been done to death on here along with flags!!

Sodje_18
14-05-2011, 11:19 AM
A lot of OF fans in livi as well, most are glory hunters who haven't a clue what there singing about. Most of the time in the school the staff just turn a blind eye to it, only once have I seen punishment for it, with the wee hun just saying 'a didny ken it wis sectarian'. Don't know any sectarian yams though.

Keith_M
14-05-2011, 11:44 AM
The first I ever heard anything remotely sectarian was in Wallyford Primary School (11 or 12yo, not sure) when a fellow pupil, a Rangers fan, called me a Fenian. I had no idea what it meant (I don't think he did either) but the ferocity with which he said it suggested it wasn't very nice.... so I decked him, just in case.

Now, the very fact he was a Rangers fan tells you that I wasn't attending an RC school, and indeed I'm not of the RC persuasion myself. That hasn't stopped me being called a Fenian in the intervening years and I decided to keep the same policy of reprisal to such a taunt as when I was in primary, that of decking the source of the offending insult.

My first REAL experience of a bigot was when I was in Musselburgh Grammar School and a young guy from Glasgow moved in to my class. He was in some youth wing of the Orange Lodge and wasted no time, at every opportunity, of telling everyone what he thought of 'Papes'. Not that I'm suggesting the Orange Lodge is in any way anti-catholic, I'm sure it was just a co-incidence that he was a member... and a Rangers Fan.

Strangely enough, HE didn't consider Hibs Fans to be 'fenians', just followers of RaSellik. It's a strange old world.

Sean1875
14-05-2011, 12:06 PM
The first I ever heard anything remotely sectarian was in Wallyford Primary School (11 or 12yo, not sure) when a fellow pupil, a Rangers fan, called me a Fenian. I had no idea what it meant (I don't think he did either) but the ferocity with which he said it suggested it wasn't very nice.... so I decked him, just in case.

Now, the very fact he was a Rangers fan tells you that I wasn't attending an RC school, and indeed I'm not of the RC persuasion myself. That hasn't stopped me being called a Fenian in the intervening years and I decided to keep the same policy of reprisal to such a taunt as when I was in primary, that of decking the source of the offending insult.

My first REAL experience of a bigot was when I was in Musselburgh Grammar School and a young guy from Glasgow moved in to my class. He was in some youth wing of the Orange Lodge and wasted no time, at every opportunity, of telling everyone what he thought of 'Papes'. Not that I'm suggesting the Orange Lodge is in any way anti-catholic, I'm sure it was just a co-incidence that he was a member... and a Rangers Fan.

Strangely enough, HE didn't consider Hibs Fans to be 'fenians', just followers of RaSellik. It's a strange old world.

:faf::top marks

ginger_rice
14-05-2011, 01:35 PM
.... so I decked him, just in case.

:faf::faf:

The thing that these bigots don't realise is that the Fenians were both RC and Protestant, the one thing they had in common was being oppressed.

ginger_rice
14-05-2011, 01:47 PM
A lot of OF fans in livi as well, most are glory hunters who haven't a clue what there singing about. Most of the time in the school the staff just turn a blind eye to it, only once have I seen punishment for it, with the wee hun just saying 'a didny ken it wis sectarian'. Don't know any sectarian yams though.

It's not a case of turning a blind eye, more that school staff have to have "selective hearing" if they react to every swear word or insult there would be no time for teaching.

There is also very little support for teachers at local authority level trying to discipline a pupil, there very few sanctions that schools can take on unrully pupils so trying to take action for calling someone a Fenian for example would probably be a waste of time.

Where we need to go as a country is that we need to teach the meaning of the word RESPECT. Respect of each other as individuals with rights, respect of everyone's right to practice their religion, and even the right of every citizen to celebrate their roots. Schools try their best to get this message across but often it's snuffed out in the kid's home, I have on one occasion been told that a school's efforts to promote harmony were "a papist conspiracy" by a parent,

Maybe we need to educate the parents not the kids?