PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian History & St Patricks Branch

St Pats Branch
13-05-2011, 04:10 PM
As you may be aware, Hibernian St Patrick's Branch was established last year and we have a growing membership base of Hibbys and a long list of potential members.

We are trying to update our website, http://www.hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/ , and given that St Patricks was the original home of Hibernian football club, we are keen to expand our history section. If anyone have any interesting articles/pieces they think would compliment our website and are willing to share with us then please send to stpats2.hibernian@virginmedia.com

We currently have some interesting pieces including a copy of Canon Edward Joseph Hannans Will.

We would also like to invite you to our branch meeting tonight at 7.30pm in the Hibs Club at Sunny Side. - Apologies for the very late notice.

Thanks,
St Pats Branch

St Pats Branch
13-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Also worth having a look at is the list of original players/staff.

Some of you may remember them playing :greengrin

IberianHibernian
13-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Very interesting website . Seeing the map of ex players etc homes in such a small area of Edinburgh is not really a great surprise as football was a new sport then . Not quite sure when most of those houses were demolished ( mainly from 50s onwards I think ) and folk moved off to edge of city of Edinburgh and Leith ( only area which seems to have claimed or retained identity with club ) . Support for football clubs in late 19th century was obviously nothing like now but our early support ( when limited to Edinburgh area and relatives in Ireland ) will have included fans in parts of Edinburgh like Stockbridge and ironically Gorgie where there were relatively big Irish populations . If we didn`t exist , there wouldn`t be much mention of " Little Ireland " in Edinburgh so it`s good to know that our club are keeping alive part of Edinburgh`s history .

Iggy Pope
13-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Some of you may remember them playing :greengrin

James Flynn. From 268 Canongate where my mother and her family were raised. Even when I was a kid in the 60s the stair was full of Irish!

Marvellous. Need to get down and see you lot and affiliate. I've spoken about it long enough.

On us thy poor children bestow your sweet smile!

Stevie

The Harp
13-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Really enjoyed looking at your website. :aok:
Was hoping I might have seen my great grandad's name on the player/staff list, but alas no. Only to be expected I suppose being left to bring up two sons and a baby daughter on his own when my great grannie died at home in the Cowgate in 1872.
Keep up the good work guys.
God Bless the Hibs!

Saorsa
13-05-2011, 10:45 PM

Some of you may remember them playing :greengrinVery interesting along with the map :thumbsup: :agree:

Couple of years before my time :greengrin

RIP
14-05-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm getting a historical backpiece of my Southside upbringing as my next tattoo. Black and Grey with a Green tint

A Leith Lad Gary Weidenhof now Perth is doing the portraits as a collage. Arthur Seat, Crags, Cowgate, Canongate, Abbeyhill, Old Easter Road, Porty maybe, Whelehan, Hannan, Smith and Stanton

Ideas abound but thank to your branch and website for reawakening my understanding of my roots

cabbageandribs1875
14-05-2011, 10:43 AM
i cant view the links on that site :-( my anti-virus programme blocks it, sommit about 'dropbox' whatever :rolleyes:

St Pats Branch
15-05-2011, 07:50 AM
i cant view the links on that site :-( my anti-virus programme blocks it, sommit about 'dropbox' whatever :rolleyes:

Dropbox is for file sharing/publishing so probably why it's blocked but we are clean! :greengrin: