PDA

View Full Version : Hartley Retires

stokesmessiah
13-05-2011, 08:27 AM
It was announced on Northsound1 this morning that Paul Hartley managed to negotiate an early release from his contract last night and is retiring due to persistent injury problems !

Wembley67
13-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Good. Wee ****.

Beefster
13-05-2011, 08:41 AM
I never really minded Hartley, other than fearing him when playing us. He was the sort of player (after his spell with us, ironically) that any supporter would have loved to have in their team, took the abuse in relatively good humour and gave as good back without going overboard. There was always a grudging respect towards him.

After the start to his Aberdeen spell, I thought that he'd have another season in him at least. He'll know his fitness better than anyone though.

Frazerbob
13-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Hartley is a player I dislike intensely. Funnily enough, not because he played for Hearts or scored THAT hat-trick or for the derby banter. I dislike him because he was absolutely dreadful when he played for us and more so beacuase he was a lazy, non trying, waste of a wage who then went on proove that he had the ability and it was his attitude that resulted in his time with us being a failure.

Just wish he'd re-signed for Hearts rather than the Sheep and wasted some more of their over-draft.

Hibs Class
13-05-2011, 08:54 AM
I never really minded Hartley, other than fearing him when playing us. He was the sort of player (after his spell with us, ironically) that any supporter would have loved to have in their team, took the abuse in relatively good humour and gave as good back without going overboard. There was always a grudging respect towards him.

After the start to his Aberdeen spell, I thought that he'd have another season in him at least. He'll know his fitness better than anyone though.

Agree.

johnrebus
13-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Hartley is a player I dislike intensely. Funnily enough, not because he played for Hearts or scored THAT hat-trick or for the derby banter. I dislike him because he was absolutely dreadful when he played for us and more so beacuase he was a lazy, non trying, waste of a wage who then went on proove that he had the ability and it was his attitude that resulted in his time with us being a failure.

Just wish he'd re-signed for Hearts rather than the Sheep and wasted some more of their over-draft.

Good post.

Lets not forget that it was the Ginger Judas who offloaded him to St Johnstone, so he has to share some of the blame for not bringing the best out of the wee rat.

Sorry couldn't help masel with the last bit.

:embarrass

Peevemor
13-05-2011, 11:01 AM

I disagree.

For me Hartley showed a lot of effort and skill when he was at Hibs, but was too lightweight and easily bundled off the ball.

As he matured (and possibly due to different coaching) he developed his game around his strong points.

Big Frank
13-05-2011, 11:02 AM
I disagree.

For me Hartley showed a lot of effort and skill when he was at Hibs, but was too lightweight and easily bundled off the ball.

As he matured (and possibly due to different coaching) he developed his game around his strong points.

Spot on.

Craig_in_Prague
13-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Hibs also saw him as a winger, where as he played centrally for Saintees and the rest is history.

Hibs are good at these things though, always letting a good one slip, or getting rid of a good yin quickly for dosh.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-05-2011, 11:19 AM
:singing: Paul Hartely's ahhwaaaay, Paul Hartley's ahhwaayyy:singing:

Spike Mandela
13-05-2011, 11:19 AM
:bye: Don't let the door hit your erse on the way out:na na:

kaimendhibs
13-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Good. Glad to see the back of him. Without doubt my most hated player in Scotland. Please please dont let him become a pundit:bye:

crewetollhibee
13-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Good. Glad to see the back of him. Without doubt my most hated player in Scotland. Please please dont let him become a pundit:bye:
Certainty I'm afraid :shocked:

Dunbar Hibee
13-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Good stuff. Trampy wee prick

CropleyWasGod
13-05-2011, 12:35 PM
I am not getting this. A player has to give up through injury and some see it as a cause for celebration.

Maybe I am still in my amateur psychologist mode from the Neil Lennon thread, but this kind of stuff depresses me.

Jack
13-05-2011, 12:38 PM

That in particular.

LeithBoozy
13-05-2011, 12:42 PM
He was a wage thief with Hibs, still its normal to wish folk well when they retire so. In retrospect , Paul I hope your balls drop off. :agree:

Littlest Hobo
13-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Good player who rammed it right back up us on more than a few occasions.
Always up for a good bit banter, took it as well as gave it. It's just a pity we never kept him and got the right type of players around him because as he proved on more than a few occasions he could control a game for you, something we should be thinking about regards Liam Miller who I see as having similar qualities if harnessed the right way.

Stevie Reid
13-05-2011, 12:58 PM
I disagree.

Totally agree - it should not be forgotten that he scored a few important goals for us in the First Division also.

The deals with St. Johnstone seemed good business at first - getting John O'Neil for free and receiving £200k for Hartley the following day - but of course we ended up a couple of years later with a player we could not afford to play because of the ridiculous appearance money written into his contract, and Billy Stark shifting Hartley to attacking midfielder ultimately led to his move to Hearts.

CropleyWasGod
13-05-2011, 12:59 PM
That in particular.

Agreed. His face at ER when he was playing for Celtic, and Caldwell was getting the "**** a hun" song, was priceless. I reckon that it was relief that, for once, somebody else was getting it.

seven nowt
13-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Well, Atleast this is one aspect of Scottish football improving! The departure of this ugly little runt!

He's just a white Sol Campbell in my opinion.

iwasthere1972
13-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I didn't mind him. So Happy Retirement PH

KeithTheHibby
13-05-2011, 02:55 PM

Echoed, decent bloke who took a lot of abuse from us but always had a bit of banter with the fans.

Carheenlea
13-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Hearts certainly got the best out of Paul Hartley, and was a player I also had a grudging respect for during an excellent spell at Tynecastle.

As others have said, he took the derby banter in the right spirit (Gary Locke, take note..)

Never nice to see anyone have to give their sport up prematurely due to injury, but at least we will now be spared of the most embarrassing and cringe worthy chant that I`ve heard from the stands, namely "Paul Hartley is gay".

Removed
13-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I :didn't mind him. So Happy Retirement PH

:agree: he's only done what any of us would do.

Too much hate in the world :agree:

Jack
13-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I wonder if he'll join the other former players in the East!

SmokieJoe
13-05-2011, 09:50 PM
It was announced on Northsound1 this morning that Paul Hartley managed to negotiate an early release from his contract last night and is retiring due to persistent injury problems !

SH*t i thought you meant J.R. Hartly

Tatty bye Yam Fud

jacomo
13-05-2011, 10:51 PM

Good player, and a good professional. Other Scottish players should learn from him.

Kaff
13-05-2011, 11:20 PM

Don't forget, still as a squad member, he was pundit when Scotland played the 4-6-0 against the Czechs and as far i'm concerned he criticised Levein for it. Very few others would, never mind someone still in contention for future caps.

TRC
13-05-2011, 11:54 PM
He was injured quite a bit for us was he not. Seem to remember he had a knee problem? Anyway always thought he should have gotten more of a chance for us! Good luck anyway P\h whatever you do!