PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood Interviews

Hibs Giant
12-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I know this sounds harsh, but is it fair to say that CC isn't the sharpest tool in the box? Listening to his interviews sometimes, it's like someones just been pulled out the stands and been told to pretend he's the hibs manager. Perhaps he's like kaiser sauzé and is completely different on the training ground/ in the dressing room. I doubt it though.
They say it's better to be lucky than good, and there's more luck in football management than some people realise. So basically I hope the gods smile on Colin for the forseeable future, because he's not exactly brimming with football wisdom.

Beefster
12-05-2011, 01:07 PM
I thought all this criticism of the way Calderwood talks/walks/combs his hair/wipes his arse had finished when we went on the unbeaten run.

Do folk realise how irrational it is to criticise this sort of stuff when we're losing but not mention it when we're winning?

matty_f
12-05-2011, 01:13 PM
I thought all this criticism of the way Calderwood talks/walks/combs his hair/wipes his arse had finished when we went on the unbeaten run.

Do folk realise how irrational it is to criticise this sort of stuff when we're losing but not mention it when we're winning?
:agree: Great point.

I'm rapidly at the stage where I'm ignoring the folk who are looking for every possible thing to find fault with at the club.

Football managers will say mundane things in interviews, they only do them because they have to.

Peevemor
12-05-2011, 01:14 PM

I'm rapidly at the stage where I'm ignoring the folk who are looking for every possible thing to find fault with at the club.

Football managers will say mundane things in interviews, they only do them because they have to.

:agree:

Baldy Foghorn
12-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Thats a fair point Mattie, but too say he was not disappointed by last night baffles me. I cant believe I was watching the same match as CC

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Ah but Yogi was a slaver, one of many things he was beaten with. That along with results and team selection. I'm glad thats all changed. :faf:

Liam89
12-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Same. :agree:

loanheadhibby
12-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Let's be fair, we don't have to look far for the faults. 1 point out of last 15 is pathetic.

loanheadhibby
12-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Hard to argue with that.And hard to talk anything Hibs without being negative.
I could maybe just see the point of trying to be positive if there was a sign that he might improve.
But the results,tactics,substitutions,his assessments of the games,the lack of fight,desire,urgency in the team and even the players he's bought in already aren't remotely inspiring ...All make it pretty disappointing all round.

And let's not forget a fair chunk of last nights team will be the mainstay of the team next year. Oh dear it's a long road ahead!

Keith_M
12-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Managers must hate having to do interviews after matches. How DO you make something sound interesting when you have to say it over and over? Yogi was criticised because of his accent and 'parochial' choice of words, now we have CC being too bland. I wonder what the next manager interview criticism will be?

Though, it would be good if they HAD picked a fan out of the stand. Can you imagine how much that would liven up the post match press conference?

"That was totally sh*te man, Ahm really p*ssed oaf that we cannae even beat yin ae thae wee diddy teams whin wur in the boatum six. Ah was finkin aboot renewin ma season ticket bit Petrie kin stick THAT idea right up his...."

I'm sure you get the idea. :wink:

basehibby
12-05-2011, 03:45 PM
I know this sounds harsh, but is it fair to say that CC isn't the sharpest tool in the box? Listening to his interviews sometimes, it's like someones just been pulled out the stands and been told to pretend he's the hibs manager. Perhaps he's like kaiser sauzé and is completely different on the training ground/ in the dressing room. I doubt it though.
They say it's better to be lucky than good, and there's more luck in football management than some people realise. So basically I hope the gods smile on Colin for the forseeable future, because he's not exactly brimming with football wisdom.

Football management is a multi-faceted job of which giving interviews to the media is only a small part. There were a lot of posters on here queueing up to take pot shots at Yogi after every interview and I thought that was pretty pathetic.
And that's exactly what I'd think of any attempt to judge Calderwood's capabilities on the basis of how he speaks to the press. What matters is the team he puts on the park and how they perform (over a season).
He could give his interviews stark naked in a stupid french accent a' la inspecter Clouseau through a digeridoo and I wouldn't give a flying one as long as he was getting it right on the park.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Thats a fair point Mattie, but too say he was not disappointed by last night baffles me. I cant believe I was watching the same match as CC

It's true to say though that these fixtures are utterly meaningless and that should mean the same if we win or lose. I don't think that we would only have got 1 point from 15, if had needed to get more. I also think that rather than grind out a win or a draw, that will make no odds, with the same players, in the same formations that have patently not worked this season, that it is better for CC to be trialing ideas for next season. Boys shifted to see if the can play somewhere else. Younger players given a game to see how far away they are. We are still in the " short term" where CC said he would have to put up with doubters. He knows fine that when we kick off next season, the short term is over.

Baldy Foghorn
12-05-2011, 04:00 PM
It's true to say though that these fixtures are utterly meaningless and that should mean the same if we win or lose. I don't think that we would only have got 1 point from 15, if had needed to get more. I also think that rather than grind out a win or a draw, that will make no odds, with the same players, in the same formations that have patently not worked this season, that it is better for CC to be trialing ideas for next season. Boys shifted to see if the can play somewhere else. Younger players given a game to see how far away they are. We are still in the " short term" where CC said he would have to put up with doubters. He knows fine that when we kick off next season, the short term is over.

Not meaningless to the travelling and paying support though

basehibby
12-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Hard to argue with that.And hard to talk anything Hibs without being negative.
I could maybe just see the point of trying to be positive if there was a sign that he might improve.
But the results,tactics,substitutions,his assessments of the games,the lack of fight,desire,urgency in the team and even the players he's bought in already aren't remotely inspiring ...All make it pretty disappointing all round.

I think your assessment of the players he's brought in is very unfair - remember that their introduction prompted an imediate turnaround in fortunes, staving off any threat of relegation.

Palsson and Scott - have introduced some much needed energy and agression into the midfield.
Sodje - unherralded signing has been a revelation, scoring something like one goal every two games since his arrival and providing much needed physicality in attack.
Towell - has been a vast improvement on his predecessor at RB.
Vaz Te - scored on his debut against the Yams and has shown some promise

I know there's still some gaping holes in the side in the lack of much pace or creativity and the lack of a good experienced centre back. Also the apparent lack of urgency in the side since safety was achieved has been alarming (not to mention insulting to the paying customer) but to dismiss CC's january signings so sweepingly is grossly unfair and proves beyond all reasonable doubt that many football fans have the memory of a goldfish!

Arch Stanton
12-05-2011, 04:14 PM
And let's not forget a fair chunk of last nights team will be the mainstay of the team next year. Oh dear it's a long road ahead!

Not the first time a bunch of raw youngsters became the mainstay of our team - remember Scott Brown, Derek Riordan, Garry O'Connor, Kevin Thomson and Steven Whittaker? No doubt you would have been calling for Williamson and the board to get some decent experienced players in.

It's interesting looking at the team that started the season and the completely different, and much more youthful, team against ICT -

Stack, Hart, Hogg, Bamba, Hanlon, McBride, de Graaf, Miller, Riordan, Nish, Stokes

Divis, Taggart, Stephens, Hanlon, Booth, Wotherspoon, Towell, Miller, Palsson, Stevenson, Vaz Te

stokesmessiah
12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Is it my imagination or are these threads becoming depressingly like the ones toward the end of the Yogi era???

I cant wait for someone to start a thread moaning about the jacket CC is wearing too.

As for his interviews...i am of the total opposite end of the spectrum. I actually think he handles himself well in them and says what he has to get it over with. He once said that the sceptics would be worried in the short term but in the long term he would prove them wrong and i for one think he is fully capable of doing so.

WhileTheChief..
12-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Stack, Hart, Hogg, Bamba, Hanlon, McBride, de Graaf, Miller, Riordan, Nish, Stokes

Divis, Taggart, Stephens, Hanlon, Booth, Wotherspoon, Towell, Miller, Palsson, Stevenson, Vaz Te

And some folk are calling this progress?? Hughes' team on the first day of the season would probably hump CCs team now.:confused:

matty_f
12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Is it my imagination or are these threads becoming depressingly like the ones toward the end of the Yogi era???

I cant wait for someone to start a thread moaning about the jacket CC is wearing too.

As for his interviews...i am of the total opposite end of the spectrum. I actually think he handles himself well in them and says what he has to get it over with. He once said that the sceptics would be worried in the short term but in the long term he would prove them wrong and i for one think he is fully capable of doing so.

That accurately reflects my thoughts on the matter too.:agree:

Keith_M
12-05-2011, 04:59 PM

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2011, 05:50 PM
And some folk are calling this progress?? Hughes' team on the first day of the season would probably hump CCs team now.:confused:

I'd call it 50-50. So i agree 7 signings yet no progress whatsoever. Mind you we did have a very good February, and we have not had one of those for a few years. :faf:

IWasThere2016
12-05-2011, 06:10 PM
That accurately reflects my thoughts on the matter too.:agree:

:agree: usual predictable trolls also.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
:agree: usual predictable trolls also.

:faf::faf: :kettle:

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Not meaningless to the travelling and paying support though<br />
<br />
Aye. That is very true.

Baldy Foghorn
12-05-2011, 06:46 PM

You obviously did not travel to Inverness, watch how bad it was, and then be mistified by the managers comments then

Cameron1875
12-05-2011, 07:07 PM
IMO he tries to come across as a thinker of the game and someone who knows a lot more than he lets on. However i believe he comes across as a bit thick and devoid of a tactical gameplan. Harsh but he hasnt impressed me from day one.

stokesmessiah
12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
You obviously did not travel to Inverness, watch how bad it was, and then be mistified by the managers comments then

Pretty bog standard response there !!

IMO when CC was brought in i have no doubts that he never realised the job he had on his hands and come the window in Jan his targets suddenly shifted to saving us from relegation. And know there are ppl out there who will argue all the pro's and con's of his tenure so far and as fans that is there choice. For me though the problem is we have a habit of binning managers too quickly and the reason we are in this mess is that CC inherited bits and pieces left from various managers who all have different ideas on how to play the game.

I'm not saying that we should let him guide us to relegation but at least let him empty the dross in the summer, keep what he thinks is a core of good players and build on it.

As for his interviews i couldnt (and neither could anyone else during our feb run) give a hoot if he came out and recited poems he wrote in P3, just get it right on the pitch !!!

ancient hibee
12-05-2011, 07:40 PM
IMO he tries to come across as a thinker of the game and someone who knows a lot more than he lets on. However i believe he comes across as a bit thick and devoid of a tactical gameplan. Harsh but he hasnt impressed me from day one.
Quite right.I mean what could he possibly know about football compared to .net posters?

IWasThere2016
12-05-2011, 08:18 PM
:faf::faf: :kettle:

:wink: Thought you'd like that one.

Beefster
12-05-2011, 08:37 PM

You weren't even impressed when we horsed Rangers at Ibrox? Man, you must be proper hard to please.

How does he go about making us think that he knows more than he lets on? That must be an awesome trick.

Baldy Foghorn
12-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Quite right.I mean what could he possibly know about football compared to .net posters?

I am old enough and seen Hibs for over 25 years so feel I am more then qualified to pass comments, thanks

Baldy Foghorn
12-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Pretty bog standard response there !!

IMO when CC was brought in i have no doubts that he never realised the job he had on his hands and come the window in Jan his targets suddenly shifted to saving us from relegation. And know there are ppl out there who will argue all the pro's and con's of his tenure so far and as fans that is there choice. For me though the problem is we have a habit of binning managers too quickly and the reason we are in this mess is that CC inherited bits and pieces left from various managers who all have different ideas on how to play the game.

I'm not saying that we should let him guide us to relegation but at least let him empty the dross in the summer, keep what he thinks is a core of good players and build on it.

As for his interviews i couldnt (and neither could anyone else during our feb run) give a hoot if he came out and recited poems he wrote in P3, just get it right on the pitch !!!

Not really, I was there last night and disagree wholeheartedly with his post match comments. Don't think by any way shape of form he comes over as thick, it was the content of the interview that irked me.....