PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood's Buying Record Pre Hibs?

Dan Sarf
12-05-2011, 11:16 AM
He's setting out with Rod's biscuit tin to buy us what amounts to a brand new team. Nervous times. Crucial decisions to be made...

Anyone have any knowledge of how successful his shopping trips have been at his earlier clubs? What type of players he went for? How well they did?

(I appreciate that there are so many variables - cash available, specific team needs, etc. that an analysis of what he's done in in the past doesn't dictate how well he'll do this time. But it might be a guide.)

Franck is God
12-05-2011, 11:31 AM
His transfer dealings with Forest & Nothampton are pretty irrelevant to be honest, largely because he was managing in a different league (literally)

I think that his signings in January and his confirmed targets gives you an idea of the standard of player he is looking to bring in.

I would think that all players will arrive without a fee having to be paid but looking at the quality of players that are available in the summer I have a feeling that we will be quite happy with the players that arrive and I'm very much looking forward to the new season already!

Dan Sarf
12-05-2011, 11:53 AM
His transfer dealings with Forest & Nothampton are pretty irrelevant to be honest, largely because he was managing in a different league (literally)

I think that his signings in January and his confirmed targets gives you an idea of the standard of player he is looking to bring in.

I would think that all players will arrive without a fee having to be paid but looking at the quality of players that are available in the summer I have a feeling that we will be quite happy with the players that arrive and I'm very much looking forward to the new season already!

Agree completely. But I wondered if he was considered to have operated successfully in that different league. And if there were any clues to his attitudes to grafters V creative players?

eastmainsmsh
12-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Nottingham forest

I think he signed

Robert Earnshaw,Andy Cole,neil lennon,junior agogo,joe garner, guy moussi,luke chambers ,matt lockwood and best one kelvin wilson :aok:

Franck is God
12-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Agree completely. But I wondered if he was considered to have operated successfully in that different league. And if there were any clues to his attitudes to grafters V creative players?

Well promotions for both sides under his control suggests an element of success.

Don't think he was ever that popular with a section of the fans at Forest though but I was never sure if it was the fact that nobody can ever live up to Clough and that in recent memory they were in the Prem.

I Love Lamp
12-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Well promotions for both sides under his control suggests an element of success.

Don't think he was ever that popular with a section of the fans at Forest though but I was never sure if it was the fact that nobody can ever live up to Clough and that in recent memory they were in the Prem.

Just an illustration of this point, one of the guys that does the Live Text on BBC, Jonathan Stevenson, is a Forest fan and one time not long before CC was sacked when they were struggling in the Championship following their promotion, a Chelsea fan sent in a text saying 'Can we have Avram Grant for away games and keep Guus Hiddink for home games?' and Stevenson's reply was Can we have Colin Calderwood as our manager for abandoned games and someone else for all the others?.

Not promoting some kind of anti-CC agenda, just remember thinking it was funny at the time.

Stevie Reid
12-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Just an illustration of this point, one of the guys that does the Live Text on BBC, Jonathan Stevenson, is a Forest fan and one time not long before CC was sacked when they were struggling in the Championship following their promotion, a Chelsea fan sent in a text saying 'Can we have Avram Grant for away games and keep Guus Hiddink for home games?' and Stevenson's reply was Can we have Colin Calderwood as our manager for abandoned games and someone else for all the others?.

Not promoting some kind of anti-CC agenda, just remember thinking it was funny at the time.

Same guy whose article is on BBC at the moment: -

"Four years on and Forest had sunk even lower. The club failed to recover from 2003 and two years later were ignominiously relegated to League One, (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/4475909.stm) in the process becoming the first European Cup winners to be demoted to the third tier of their domestic game.

Under unconvincing manager Colin Calderwood they had a chance to bounce back at the second attempt when finishing fourth in 2006-07, setting up a two-tie showdown with Yeovil, an outfit well-versed in giant-killings throughout their history.

It was immediately - yet forgivably - billed as David v Goliath; the two-time champions of a continent versus a club that had spent its history in the non-league until 2003. When Forest won the first leg 2-0 at Huish Park in front of fewer than 9,000 spectators, a first trip to the new Wembley seemed assured.
The second leg on Friday, 18 May 2007 (http://www.just-football.com/2011/04/nottingham-forest-2-5-yeovil-town-may-2007-your-boys-took-one-hell-of-a-beating/)remains the most inexplicable football match I have ever seen with my own eyes.

We lost 5-2. At home. To Yeovil. After extra time.

I still can't believe it. With 81 minutes gone, Forest led 3-1 on aggregate - but an Alan Wright own goal and Marcus Stewart header forced the extra half hour, with Forest reduced to 10 men after second-half substitute David Prutton's kamikaze cameo had ended in a stoppage-time dismissal.

Reds midfielder Gary Holt immediately cancelled out Lee Morris's 92nd-minute strike, but with all our subs used up and the stricken Wright unable to walk, defeat for the nine men was inevitable, Aaron Davies applying the coup de grace to leave both sets of supporters in a state of bewilderment."

Hibee87
12-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Did he not win promotion to the championship with relative ease then changed the style of play in the champs to a long ball game to a target man - kinda looking like that now with sodje being lone ranger. and he lost like 12 outta 13 and was sacked.

basehibby
12-05-2011, 12:28 PM
He's setting out with Rod's biscuit tin to buy us what amounts to a brand new team. Nervous times. Crucial decisions to be made...

Anyone have any knowledge of how successful his shopping trips have been at his earlier clubs? What type of players he went for? How well they did?

(I appreciate that there are so many variables - cash available, specific team needs, etc. that an analysis of what he's done in in the past doesn't dictate how well he'll do this time. But it might be a guide.)

I don't have specific details but, when he signed I had a look at a couple of Forest fans' forums to see their take on the appointment. Thankfully, the general consensus seemed to be that he had shown a consistently good eye for talent.
This view was pretty much balanced out by criticism of his tactics though - seen as a bit negative and bland by many.

Hopefully, the Forest fans are proved right on the first count - if that translates into positive results on the park then I won't be too concerned about the second.

Dan Sarf
12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Posted the same question on the Forest guy's BBC blog...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanstevenson/2011/05/forest_the_play-offs_and_me.html#comments

And got this answer from a Forest fan...

How much control Colin Calderwood had over transfers at Forest is highly debatable. While it's fair to say the majority of players brought in under his reign have been relatively successful, we did seem to struggle at bringing players in at all, several transfer windows passed when strengthening was needed & no new arrivals materialised. He was blamed for most of that at the time, but more recent revelations about how our 'transfer acquisitions panel' actually works & further failures to bring players in under different management would seem to suggest people in the back ground have more influence than the manager, & maybe more influence than is good for us.

In truth, looking at Calderwoods time at Forest shouldn't be used as a barometer for his success (or failures) in the transfer market at all. His purchase of Matt Thornhill doesn't bode well for you though.

Dan Sarf
12-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Feel free to go on forestfans.net.I started a thread Colin Calderwood.
I don't see much wrong in listening to their views.

Thanks, I did!

Found this list of who he signed for Forest there (it was on the thread you started)...

Paul Smith - £500k
Junior Agogo - Undiclosed (rumoured to be around £200k)
Matt Lockwood - Undiclosed (rumoured to be around £150k)
Luke Chambers - £150k
Chris Cohen/Arron Davies - Undiclosed (rumoured to be around £1m)
Kelvin Wilson - £300k
Garath McCleary - £30k
Robert Earnshaw - £2.6m
Joe Garner - £1.1m
Andy Cole/Neil Lennon - Free but won't have been on peanuts would they?
Guy Moussi - £300k

Anyone know anything about that lot?

Matty_Jack04
12-05-2011, 07:07 PM
All you have to do is listen to billy davies pre and post match interveiws to see that even he doesnt get backed to the hilt by the board over new players despite being on the brink of promotion

Nottm forrest isnt an easy job, i just hope all the rumours regarding ross county players is of the mark or we're in a load of trouble

thebakerboy
12-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks, I did!

Found this list of who he signed for Forest there (it was on the thread you started)...

Paul Smith - £500k
Junior Agogo - Undiclosed (rumoured to be around £200k)
Matt Lockwood - Undiclosed (rumoured to be around £150k)
Luke Chambers - £150k
Chris Cohen/Arron Davies - Undiclosed (rumoured to be around £1m)
Kelvin Wilson - £300k
Garath McCleary - £30k
Robert Earnshaw - £2.6m
Joe Garner - £1.1m
Andy Cole/Neil Lennon - Free but won't have been on peanuts would they?
Guy Moussi - £300k

Anyone know anything about that lot?

Mcleary , Earnshaw , Chambers and Cohen playing in sami final of playoffs for Forest , so he obviously made some good signings . If you take Lennon and Cole out as they have retired thats 4 out of 11 still in squad 3 years (I think) later , not a bad signing record. So in CC we hope and trust.:cgwa

E10 Rifle
12-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Mcleary , Earnshaw , Chambers and Cohen playing in sami final of playoffs for Forest , so he obviously made some good signings . If you take Lennon and Cole out as they have retired thats 4 out of 11 still in squad 3 years (I think) later , not a bad signing record. So in CC we hope and trust.:cgwa

He signed some of the best players around at the time from the lower leagues but to my mind never really got them playing in a great fashion in his team. League One is a tricky league for some big teams though as everyone raises their game against them (ask Sheff Wed, Southampton, Leeds as well as Forest) but I still reckon he'll be gone next season.

Also, Matt Lockwood is a god - that is all.