PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon

marleyhib
12-05-2011, 12:01 AM
A lot of removed obviously flying about in the media about what happened at Tynecastle tonight, a really bad advert for Scottish football as a whole.

What I don't like to see is Andy Walker being given licence on Sky Sports to further promote the idea that Lennon is being demonised and that there is a massive conspiracy against Celtic and Lennon.

I think Celtic made a big mistake appointing Lennon as manager, sure they (and Lennon) can do what they like but I don't think he conducts himself in a way that a manager of a high profile club (or any club) should.

I am in no way condoning what happened tonight, I just think that by appointing Lennon the Celtic board have made a big mistake and are inviting trouble. Lennon goes around shooting his mouth off and generally acting like an removed
Maybe that's what happens when you go for the cheap option.

Centre Hawf
12-05-2011, 12:03 AM
He completely brings it all on himself, does it make it right? No. I don't feel sad for him, I feel sad this is what is come to.

smurf
12-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Tonight was disgusting and the Yams should be hammered by the authorities.

We simply can't have managers being attacked on the touchline at the game.

I do not at all like Neil Lennon. His behaviour at times this season has brought shame on his employers.

However, regardless to any of that tonight events must not be tolerated and the Yams should have the book thrown at them.

Removed
12-05-2011, 12:19 AM

I do not at all like Neil Lennon. His behaviour at times this season has brought shame on his employers.

However, regardless to any of that tonight events must not be tolerated and the Yams should have the book thrown at them.

:agree: or any team who's "supporters" behave in that way.

TRC
12-05-2011, 12:30 AM
I think if this had been anyone else bar Lennon and Hearts there would be far less discussion on here about it. However I've said it before that Celtic employed him knowing what they were getting as such they probably saw it as there is no such thing as bad publicity. Still don't condone any of the behavior that has happened to him

AgentDaleCooper
12-05-2011, 12:35 AM
He completely brings it all on himself, does it make it right? No. I don't feel sad for him, I feel sad this is what is come to.

hit the nail exactly on the head.

he could make his own life much, much easier by not doing 'i can't hear you' signs. what kind of an idiot does that when someone's tried to send them a letter bomb?

if he wants to prove he's the bigger man, he should show them they aren't getting to him, not turn around and shout "SQUARE GO, EH?!".

the fact is, he was boo-ed and loathed in every ground, even easter road, which cynics might have supposed would be a safe haven due to our historical cafflickness. why is this the case? it's because he behaves like a moron.

all that said, it must be terrible for his family, for whom i sympathise fully. and of course he doesn't deserve any of it - i just can't feel sorry for him when he's making it so much worse for himself. i can only assume he does this because he is also full of hate as well.

the whole lot of them bring shame upon our already shaky league.

heretoday
12-05-2011, 12:44 AM
At the end of the day the thing is why does Lennon continue to suffer this stuff?

His family are suffering. He is suffering.

Why doesn't he get as far away from Scotland as possible?

It's not rocket science. His reputation in football managerial circles must be okay so
go south and get another job, Neil!

SteveHFC
12-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I can honestly see him leaving Celtic after the Scottish Cup Final.

iwasthere1972
12-05-2011, 01:07 AM
I can honestly see him leaving Celtic after the Scottish Cup Final.

:agree: Aye my money is also on Motherwell winning it.

iwasthere1972
12-05-2011, 01:13 AM
A lot of removed obviously flying about in the media about what happened at Tynecastle tonight, a really bad advert for Scottish football as a whole.

What I don't like to see is Andy Walker being given licence on Sky Sports to further promote the idea that Lennon is being demonised and that there is a massive conspiracy against Celtic and Lennon.

I think Celtic made a big mistake appointing Lennon as manager, sure they (and Lennon) can do what they like but I don't think he conducts himself in a way that a manager of a high profile club (or any club) should.

I am in no way condoning what happened tonight, I just think that by appointing Lennon the Celtic board have made a big mistake and are inviting trouble. Lennon goes around shooting his mouth off and generally acting like an removed

Andy Walker's words.

"Remember we're not in Glasgow here, we're not in the west of Scotland. This is through in Edinburgh this is the capital and Neil Lennon has been attacked by an away supporter" :confused:

zlatan
12-05-2011, 01:36 AM

I just can't agree with that. He shares the same charectaristics as plenty of other unpopular managers/players, that doesn't come close to justifying (which I know you're not) what he's been on the receiving end of.

Ferguson hints about dodgy refs, Mourinho gesticulates to fans and I think Benitez made accusations of teams laying down. Lennon has done nothing new to bring a level of hate he is currently getting. It is a sad situation that I can only see ending with him having to resign to bring a hint of sanity back to this tedious game.

KWJ
12-05-2011, 02:43 AM
At the end of the day the thing is why does Lennon continue to suffer this stuff?

It's not rocket science. His reputation in football managerial circles must be okay so

I agree in a way but then the problem still lies there and the ********s who are trying to make him leave Celtic win. I don't like Neil Lennon but I respect him for staying put and standing up to the **** who have sent him death threats, postal bombs and attacked him without provocation. It's not on and Scottish football and the Scottish (and Irish although nowt to do with us) Society need to be held accountable.

Through the 80's & 90's British football & society tackled racism and now that is very much in the minority of erses that shout such abuse and fortunately no such chants are sung.

Sectarianism lies deep within Rangers, Celtic & it appears Hearts fans and it has now gone way too far.

If Lennon is murdered will Scottish football be able to recover? Is that when something will finally be done?

If he leaves because of all this then it's a massive embarrassment to our game and beyond.

The guy's an arse, however hounding anybody out of our country is shameful and the fundamental reason has to be that he is catholic. Being Celtic manager and an arse is good enough reason to give him abuse in the same way we do Jim Jeffries, Barry Ferguson and so on but what's happened is too far.

No, he doesn't help himself but that doesn't mean it's right.

Yes, I'm a bit pished.

Broken Gnome
12-05-2011, 04:40 AM
hit the nail exactly on the head.

he could make his own life much, much easier by not doing 'i can't hear you' signs. what kind of an idiot does that when someone's tried to send them a letter bomb?

if he wants to prove he's the bigger man, he should show them they aren't getting to him, not turn around and shout "SQUARE GO, EH?!".

the fact is, he was boo-ed and loathed in every ground, even easter road, which cynics might have supposed would be a safe haven due to our historical cafflickness. why is this the case? it's because he behaves like a moron.

all that said, it must be terrible for his family, for whom i sympathise fully. and of course he doesn't deserve any of it - i just can't feel sorry for him when he's making it so much worse for himself. i can only assume he does this because he is also full of hate as well.

the whole lot of them bring shame upon our already shaky league.

Very thin line between commendable defiance and idiocy. Reckon the police may have had something to say at full time when he choose the VERY public walk down the tunnel instead of quietly walking back to the dressing room.

Davy Mac
12-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Slightly off topic, I had to laugh at Fat Jim's comments after the game - "there was a poisonous atmosphere tonight which is unusual for Tynecastle".

Aye right, what a tube.

hibsbollah
12-05-2011, 06:16 AM
I am in no way condoning what happened tonight.

the rest of your post suggests otherwise.

Jim44
12-05-2011, 07:30 AM

There's a difference between 'condoning' something and 'understanding' why it happened.

marleyhib
12-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Sorry, no it doesn't.

I just think there needs to be a collective responsibility to sort out Scottish football, this includes the clubs, managers, fans, media and the authorities.

The clubs and managers need to lead by example, I don't think Neil Lennon does at times and as a result makes things worse.

I don't condone any physical attack on anyone.

Beefster
12-05-2011, 08:08 AM
I can't stand Lennon but to suggest that "he brings it all upon himself" when "it" includes common assaults, bullets in the mail and parcel bombs is just nonsense.

Dunbar Hibee
12-05-2011, 08:09 AM
I actually have respect for Neil Lennon for carrying on with his job. Doesn't mean I like him, but he deserves none of this.

Beefster
12-05-2011, 08:11 AM

What sort of backwards *****hole is Scotland if a football manager is unable to work in this country for fear of his personal safety - mainly as a result of his religious beliefs?

hibsbollah
12-05-2011, 08:13 AM
There's a difference between 'condoning' something and 'understanding' why it happened.

Quite so. And last night didnt happen because lennon is an 'erse' or winds fans up. It happened because of a)criminal intent and b)a culture of hatred. There are a lot of posts like the OP which are essentially saying 'i dont condone it BUT'. It all sounds a lot like making excuses to me.

heretoday
12-05-2011, 08:16 AM

You are right. A club of the stature of Celtic should not be appointing untried guys like Lennon as manager, especially given his history.

As for Lennon himself, why he doesn't get himself and his unfortunate family as far away from Scotland as possible beats me.

marinello59
12-05-2011, 08:20 AM
You are right. A club of the stature of Celtic should not be appointing untried guys like Lennon as manager, especially given his history.

As for Lennon himself, why he doesn't get himself and his unfortunate family as far away from Scotland as possible beats me.

That he should have to consider that brings shame on the whole country. I hate to think what is being printed about our game elsewhere in the world.

skyehibee
12-05-2011, 08:24 AM
I hate how people are coming out saying "its a sad day for scottish football" when infact look back at when Eric Cantana drop kicked 1 of his own football supporters in the english premier league, thats got to be 100 times worse than this.

marinello59
12-05-2011, 08:27 AM
I hate how people are coming out saying "its a sad day for scottish football" when infact look back at when Eric Cantana drop kicked 1 of his own football supporters in the english premier league, thats got to be 100 times worse than this.
It's not been a good day though has it?
A one off moment of madness hardly compares with a series of incidents fueled by sheer hatred and ignorance does it?

MSK
12-05-2011, 08:27 AM
I hate how people are coming out saying "its a sad day for scottish football" when infact look back at when Eric Cantana drop kicked 1 of his own football supporters in the english premier league, thats got to be 100 times worse than this.Im quite sure it wasnt one of his own fans but a Palace fan ..

marinello59
12-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Im quite sure it wasnt one of his own fans but a Palace fan ..

It was a Palace fan.

MSK
12-05-2011, 08:31 AM
I hate how people are coming out saying "its a sad day for scottish football" when infact look back at when Eric Cantana drop kicked 1 of his own football supporters in the english premier league, thats got to be 100 times worse than this.If you looked back you would find it was a Palace fan he kicked ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovYWY4Pf9_M

khib70
12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Oh dear:confused:

And did this supporter (a Crystal Palace fan, by the way, not "one of his own") previously receive a string of death threats from various Premiership footballers?

What Cantona did was stupid, and there are morons among the support of most football teams in any country, but comparing that to the seriously worrying growth of sectarianism and hatred in the Scottish game is sticking your head deep in the sand.

Hearts fans have been getting worse in the sectarianism stakes for some time. It reminds me of an old Ray Lowry cartoon in the NME years ago. It showed Mussolini on the balcony at an Italian Fascist rally, saying to one of his henchmen, "We may be number two, but we try harder"

Golden Bear
12-05-2011, 08:36 AM
I can't stand Lennon but to suggest that "he brings it all upon himself" when "it" includes common assaults, bullets in the mail and parcel bombs is just nonsense.

:agree:

My sentiments exactly.

Greentinted
12-05-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't mind Lennon. In fact, I'd go further and say I quite like the guy (or at least that of him I know). There I said it.

He is, as has been pointed out, the archetypical panto villain, a target for the boo boys and to his shame (adopt faux-outrage persona) outspoken and a bit, well, radge! However, does any of that merit the outpouring of hatred that emanates from many pockets of our society?

The amount of people who have said with real vitriol "I hate Neil Lennon" astonishes me. How can you hate a person you have no real knowledge of?
We all enjoy a panto-villain type - 'boooo' we jeer, 'boo-hiss', but surely most of us who follow football are rational enough to realise it is just, when all said and done a component of a game: a part of the entertainment business, an outlet where we can be with friends and have a shout, a swear and a sing-song (if the mood so takes us) but a game nonetheless. We have Gary McKay, Rudi Skacel and Paul Hartley (amongst others) as our 'hate figures' and those guys play up to it, perhaps naively, and the panto continues. But do we actually HATE these people?

For too many years a significant element of uninformed bigots have attached themselves to certain high-level clubs in our country and this unaddresssed behaviour (endorsed, celebrated and exploited by these clubs - two in particular) is coming home to hit them. Lennon is a victim of this but there is the argument that he knew what he was letting himself in for when he first signed for Celtic over 10 years ago. His defiant and controversial disposition is unhelpful at this time and he really should be keeping his head down, particularly in light of the letter-bomb incidents, if not for his own sake then his family. I don't buy, however, the apology for him which tends to him being 'passionate' and determined.

Last nights disgrace at Tynecastle has shamed all of us but it offers those who control and administer our game a watershed to attack the problem in a manner becoming a 21st century enlightened society - but will they do it? Probably not. Hearts will be scapegoated and the real cancer of our game will be allowed to flourish (although our neighbours have nailed their sectarian colours to the mast rather ostentatiously of late). The Bigot Triplets need dealing with robustly or it will just go on and on until some one is killed - all in the name of what is a game. And that is not Neil Lennon's fault.

hibee_girl
12-05-2011, 09:32 AM

basehibby
12-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Andy Walker's words.

"Remember we're not in Glasgow here, we're not in the west of Scotland. This is through in Edinburgh this is the capital and Neil Lennon has been attacked by an away supporter" :confused:

:rolleyes: Walker suffering from diahoreah of the mooth as usual.

The thing with Lennon is he DOES bring the opobrium of opposition supporters onto his own head. Remember this is the manager who only days ago delivered a gross insult to Scottish football in general and Hearts in particular when he accused "clubs" of lying down to Rangers the day after the Yams had been gubbed 3-0 at Ibrox. This is a Yams team who were at the time trying to secure 3rd place so his comments were ignorant as well as inflamatory.

Personally,I was starting to feel a certain amount of respect for Lennon due to his steadfastness in the face of bomb threats but his comments disgusted me, so god only knows how the neds in the Wheatfield stand must have taken it.

Obviously this in no way excuses the actions of the Yamtard who assaulted Lennon last night, but what with his idiotic and imflamatory comments and his agressive and often downright out of order touchline antics, you have to question whether Lennon has the intelligence and social skills necessary to hold down such a high profile role.

NB - In fairness to Lennon he claimed his comments were taken out of context (see link here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13347438.stm ) - still, given recent events, his comments - blaming everyone but himself for his team's falling behind in the title race - were charecteristacally ill judged on his part and did nothing to ease the tensions in the stands at Tynie last night.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I find it difficult to understand how anyone at Celtc can be surprised at this incident. They have a support who applaud murderers, they sing songs about them. They actively promote the IRA each and every week with their songs.

They have a manager who takes everything the the extreme, creating a seige mentality that he knows will fuel that hatred and bigotry to an even higher level. Is it any surprise someone, anyone would try and trump his behaviour?

If you run with the hares lemon, you can expect to be eaten by the hounds

Phil MaGlass
12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh dear:confused:

And did this supporter (a Crystal Palace fan, by the way, not "one of his own") previously receive a string of death threats from various Premiership footballers?

What Cantona did was stupid, and there are morons among the support of most football teams in any country, but comparing that to the seriously worrying growth of sectarianism and hatred in the Scottish game is sticking your head deep in the sand.

Hearts fans have been getting worse in the sectarianism stakes for some time. It reminds me of an old Ray Lowry cartoon in the NME years ago. It showed Mussolini on the balcony at an Italian Fascist rally, saying to one of his henchmen, "We may be number two, but we try harder"

And that is where the problem lies, the minority at swiney have been getting away with it for years, unchecked by their own fans/club.
When the casual element first came into Scottish fitba, hertz fans policed their own to make sure they wouldnt make an impact, I knew a couple of so called hertz casuals (tee hee hee) who got done in by their own support. Seems the real football supporting hertz fans need to get back to policing their own.
By the way has anyone put in an official complaint of sectarian chanting from hertz ******s? That should (added with the attack) see them kept out of europe.

Elephant Stone
12-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I find it difficult to understand how anyone at Celtc can be surprised at this incident. They have a support who applaud murderers, they sing songs about them. They actively promote the IRA each and every week with their songs.

They have a manager who takes everything the the extreme, creating a seige mentality that he knows will fuel that hatred and bigotry to an even higher level. Is it any surprise someone, anyone would try and trump his behaviour?

It is quite surprising to me, yes, that someone who is competitive and who irritates opposing fans should have viable bombs sent to his family home and be attacked gratuitously at the side of the pitch. Maybe I'm just sensitive.

What a pile of ****

hibiedude
12-05-2011, 11:06 AM

I have to agree Lennon dosen't help himself, even after what happened last night I still expect this idiot will still open his mouth regarding Rangers Game against Killie this weekend.

Why is it no other Celtic Manger has had bullets, Bombs and now being attacked at the side of the pitch in their CV.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2011, 11:09 AM
It is quite surprising to me, yes, that someone who is competitive and who irritates opposing fans should have viable bombs sent to his family home and be attacked gratuitously at the side of the pitch. Maybe I'm just sensitive.

What a pile of ****

So you are suprised someone would try and trump his behaviour???

You cant know much about the average numpty football fan then?

And nowhere did i mention bombs?

Elephant Stone
12-05-2011, 11:15 AM

People 'trump' his behaviour by shouting abuse at him from the stands, that's not surprising.

Him being assaulted on the street in Glasgow 'trumped' his behaviour and was slightly more surprising but not particularly extraordinary.

Having bombs sent to his home and being attacked during a match is incredible and the fact that there are people like you who are implicitly saying he had it coming in some way is strange.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2011, 11:18 AM
People 'trump' his behaviour by shouting abuse at him from the stands, that's not surprising.

Him being assaulted on the street in Glasgow 'trumped' his behaviour and was slightly more surprising but not particularly extraordinary.

Having bombs sent to his home and being attacked during a match is incredible and the fact that there are people like you who are implicitly saying he had it coming in some way is strange.

:faf::faf: Where did i say that?

Elephant Stone
12-05-2011, 11:20 AM

If it wasn't surprising to you then surely he must have merited it in some way?

Elephant Stone
12-05-2011, 11:22 AM

"If you run with the hares lemon, you can expect to be eaten by the hounds" :confused:

Sammy7nil
12-05-2011, 11:23 AM

I know what you are saying and you may not be wrong but how SAD is Scotland that someone is not abl;e to do their job without threat of violence.

And before I am jumped on I know it is more of a West Coast problem but we all live in Scotland and it is still allowed to carry on.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
"If you run with the hares lemon, you can expect to be eaten by the hounds" :confused:

Claptrap, i just know a little about your average numpty. Football fans well the numpty ones dont think rationally, thats why i was NOT surprised he was attacked. It was only a matter of time imo, nowhere did i say he deserved it?:confused:

This.

patlowe
12-05-2011, 11:26 AM

That was an isolated incident and was no real reflection on the society in which it occurred. Last night however, is IMO the latest in a series of downright embarrassing incidents in Scotland. That ANYONE in this country can deem it ok to run onto a professional football pitch (on national TV) and assault a man is shameful and yes, sad. Not necessarily for football itself but for our society as a whole. And let's not kid ourselves that this is just an OF+Hearts issue, we've had similar incidents at ER over the years. All they do is reflect terribly on Scotland and give the authorities another excuse to have the way we watch football further restricted and policed. This may seem over dramatic and I'm all for passionate support but we desperately need to sort this mess out for the sake of future generations. The booze culture, the violence, the unadulterated hatred - all of it.

Caroline Hibby
12-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Lennon's behaviour at all times doesn't endeer him to anyone other than the obsessive staunchest Celtic fan. He is consistently agressive and arrogant. Witness his goal celebrations last night. His antics at Ibrox when he cupped his ears sums up his attitude. He's at best immature and probably better described as thick and slightly mad. Whatever he does or how he behaves doesn't merit being attacked, but I for one wasn't surprised. It was a matter of time. There's plenty of equally mad and aggressive people out there who can't control themselves, so it will probably happen again, more likely away from a stadium. Interesting that he was so shocked and stunned that he managed to get a kick at the guy and had to be restrained. I don't condone it, but I honestly can't think of any other manager, past or present, even Souness, that would create enough nonsense to run such a high risk of assault. Can you imagine Turnbull, Stein or Shankly behaving anything like this guy?

Dinkydoo
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't agree that Lennon brings it all upon himself - I mean parcel bombs ffs, come on!

But Hearts being fined for one of thier knob-end supporters punching Lennon, I actually find quite amusing and no, I am not the anti-christ. :wink:

Elephant Stone
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
This.

Your whole post was about Celtic fans' songs and Neil Lennon's manner, not football fans being prone to idiocy. You were implying it was justified and you know you were.

Baldy Foghorn
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM

:top marks

strummbo
12-05-2011, 11:35 AM
what we must all keep in mind here is that every club has a neanderthal element, even Hibs!

the idiot who attacked Neil Lennon is exactly that, an idiot...

regionalising the argument has no relevance for me, its endemic to Scotland, not just a part of the country...

THere also appears to be a shed load of folk who categorise Lennon as the perpetrator and some who suggest he is the victim, to be fair to him he is both.

He is headstrong and has committed some questionalbe actions from within the confines of a football park , but essentially no one needs some idiot supporter attack

If I had attacked in public, received bullets through the mail, been subject to the level of hatred he has, had letter bombs sent to me and so on, i would be totally defensive so I empathise with the man....

Maybe it is time for him to remove himself from this cultural ******ed backwater we call Scotland... i doubt that will remove the issue that is sectarianism tho...

maybe King Salmond as a Yam could intervene in some way...

still, shame on all those that fly their flags and inflame... booooooooo to them

Keith_M
12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Lennon is an obnoxious pr*ck that personifies the very worst of the persecuted, put upon Celtc fan persona. Do I think that justifies attacking him in the street and threatening his life? Does it justify the effect that also has on his family? No, I certainly do not.

I'd gladly see the back of him but If he leaves Celtc because of the threats and abuse from the kind of morons that send parcel bombs and attack players on the pitch, that would be a disaster for Scottish Football. What happens the next time Celtc (or indeed any club) have a successful manager? Will they just employ the same tactics again?

Morons in football need to be weeded out and dealt with, whether they are the morons that send parcel bombs, attack players on the pitch or throw missiles in the East stand at ER that hit their fellow supporters on the head.

fishybeaver
12-05-2011, 11:37 AM

Kinda agree with this, Celtic constantly play the marter card, make money out of being something they are not (Irish) and upset as many people as they can, get laweys involved, detective's following refs etc etc IRA chants then try and take any moral high ground they can when there muppet neigbours get out of line....its hardly a surprise that we the general football fan have no time at all for Lennon, Celtic and everything assosiated with the horrible cancerous club.

Does it make all the bombs, threats last night etc acceptable...absolutly not but I am not surprised one little bit that this has happened.

CFC have made a rod for there own back!!!

Sir David Gray
12-05-2011, 11:37 AM

I do think that what the Celtic supporters sing about is an entirely different situation to what's been going on with Neil Lennon.

IMO, Lennon is an arse and I don't like him at all but what he said in his defence a few weeks ago when the bomb plot came to light was true. From memory, I'm not aware of him ever making public comments about politics or religion, either during his time as a player or a manager.

Everyone within Scottish football is aware that he is a Roman Catholic from Northern Ireland but that's about as much as we know about his personal beliefs and opinions.

I'm all for giving "villains" within football a bit of verbal during games, I think that is all part of the game and I also think that, in the main, these types of characters thrive on that kind of atmosphere. However what Lennon has had to contend with this season is completely unacceptable and goes above and beyond what any football person should expect to put up with.

No football figure should ever fear that their safety and/or life is in serious danger.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-05-2011, 11:44 AM
First off, I don't have any time for either of the old filth. But what strikes me as really odd is that I, as a complete outsider, look at Lennon as the Celtc manager and McCoist, as the incoming Rangers manager and think that their behaviour, demeanour and the example that they set, is not anywhere near the standard of that required to be in charge of those clubs. Could be that this is what you get when you put fans in charge? Neither of those two has the stature, or the self-composure to be where they are.
I would not suggest that anything that they have done justifies anything that has happened to them. I would suggest that what is happening to Lennon is a non-football issue.
But McCoist spoiling for a dust up and the end of an explosive derby, and Lennon cupping his ears on the pitch at Ibrox, were the actions of simpletons.
Andy Wa*ker is the biggest contributor to global warning just now. Maybe shows how much disdain SKY have for our game that they let an interested party kid on that he can give you a balanced view.

Stevie Reid
12-05-2011, 11:47 AM
First off, I don't have any time for either of the old filth. But what strikes me as really odd is that I, as a complete outsider, look at Lennon as the Celtc manager and McCoist, as the incoming Rangers manager and think that their behaviour, demeanour and the example that they set, is not anywhere near the standard of that required to be in charge of those clubs. Could be that this is what you get when you put fans in charge? Neither of those two has the stature, or the self-composure to be where they are.
I would not suggest that anything that they have done justifies anything that has happened to them. I would suggest that what is happening to Lennon is a non-football issue.
But McCoist spoiling for a dust up and the end of an explosive derby, and Lennon cupping his ears on the pitch at Ibrox, were the actions of simpletons.
Andy Wa*ker is the biggest contributor to global warning just now. Maybe shows how much disdain SKY have for our game that they let an interested party kid on that he can give you a balanced view.

What has McCoist done? Seems the exact opposite of Lennon in terms of his conduct, and always comes across well and respectful of the opposition in interview IMO.

hibsbollah
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
A yam at my work is now arguing that 'casper mark two' is actually probably a rangers fan in disguise. The self-delusion is staggering.

My response 'i thought all hearts fans were' didnt go down too well :-)

Beefster
12-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Has Ferguson, Wenger or Mourinho ever been attacked at the pitch side or had bombs sent through the post to them on several occasions? What does Lennon do that they don't?

Dinkydoo
12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
What has McCoist done? Seems the exact opposite of Lennon in terms of his conduct, and always comes across well and respectful of the opposition in interview IMO.

Aside from THAT derby incident I don't hink he's really done anything wrong in terms of his personal conduct.

He's certainley never bullied anyone so much that they resigned from thier job and accused clubs, referees and officials of match fixing.

I don't particularly like McCoist but to compare him to Lennon is a bit of an insult IMO.

johnrebus
12-05-2011, 11:53 AM
It seems to have been forgotten that Hearts have a bit of previous here.

Its only two years ago that Derek Riordan was attacked on the pitch at Tynecastle and they got away with a slap on the wrist.

Heart of Midlothian is rotten to the core. From its crazy demented owner - not a word on last night from him so far - to the sizeable racist and bigotted element of its support. Not to mention some of the brain dead, such as Locke, Black and Kyle, on the coaching and playing staff.

If there are any decent Hearts fans still out there, they must be wringing their hands in dispair.

A points deduction and heavy fine (c.£500,000) is the only way to send out the correct message to all clubs and fans that this sort of thing has to stop.

:fuming:

patlowe
12-05-2011, 11:55 AM

As do hibs.

Dinkydoo
12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
As do hibs.

and Celtic:

Dida anyone?

Greentinted
12-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Its only two years ago that Derek Riordan was attacked on the pitch at Tynecastle and they got away with a slap on the wrist.

Heart of Midlothian is rotten to the core. From its crazy demented owner - not a word on last night from him so far - to the sizeable racist and bigotted element of its support. Not to mention some of the brain dead, such as Locke, Black and Kyle, on the coaching and playing staff.

If there are any decent Hearts fans still out there, they must be wringing their hands in dispair.

A points deduction and heavy fine (c.£500,000) is the only way to send out the correct message to all clubs and fans that this sort of thing has to stop.

:fuming:

Hearts have chosen to ignore the problem on their doorstep for far too long and last night was an incident in waiting. Too many apologists for the 'minority' element at Tynie and now they will be hammered and rightly so.
I am sick to the back teeth hearing the Bigot Triplets turning the spotlight of blame on their significant 'others' while failing spectacularly to address their own problems.
Only last night a section of HMFC supporters with certain sectarian leanings organised a so called 'Sash-Bash' (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=160711030654658) - many proudly proclaiming their right to "take over a pub and sing whatever the ****** they like". There is a 'Heart of Midlothian Flute Band' and living in the vicinity of Tynecastle I see at first hand the exponential increase in provocative flags, songs etc.
Section N should be closed or given over to families and anyone seen acting in a sectarian manner should be identified and banned for life. But what do they do? Nowt.
So now their collective sphincter is on red-hot curry alert and hell mend them, the whole lot of em. Why don't the 'majority' self-police the way they did when this happened in the 80s?

An absolute abomination of a club.
BIG Team
BIG Debt
BIG Problems
BIGots.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Lennon's behaviour at all times doesn't endeer him to anyone other than the obsessive staunchest Celtic fan. He is consistently agressive and arrogant. Witness his goal celebrations last night. His antics at Ibrox when he cupped his ears sums up his attitude. He's at best immature and probably better described as thick and slightly mad. Whatever he does or how he behaves doesn't merit being attacked, but I for one wasn't surprised. It was a matter of time. There's plenty of equally mad and aggressive people out there who can't control themselves, so it will probably happen again, more likely away from a stadium. Interesting that he was so shocked and stunned that he managed to get a kick at the guy and had to be restrained. I don't condone it, but I honestly can't think of any other manager, past or present, even Souness, that would create enough nonsense to run such a high risk of assault. Can you imagine Turnbull, Stein or Shankly behaving anything like this guy?
Exactly

Your whole post was about Celtic fans' songs and Neil Lennon's manner, not football fans being prone to idiocy. You were implying it was justified and you know you were.

Bull, i was implying it was bound to happen, and was surprised YOU were surprised it did.

Has Ferguson, Wenger or Mourinho ever been attacked at the pitch side or had bombs sent through the post to them on several occasions? What does Lennon do that they don't?

None of them manage either side of the bigot brothers. The hatred between them is 100 times stronger and goes back decades based on sectarianism. If you dont think that has anything to do with it, fine but i do. And it would not surprise me one bit if the same thing happens next season to Ally M'Coist.

iwasthere1972
12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
It was a Palace fan.

The same guy who has been given a suspended jail sentence for punching the coach of his son's football team. He must also pay £1,000 to his victim and £2,000 in prosecution costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13339766

Beefster
12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
None of them manage either side of the bigot brothers. The hatred between them is 100 times stronger and goes back decades based on sectarianism. If you dont think that has anything to do with it, fine but i do. And it would not surprise me one bit if the same thing happens next season to Ally M'Coist.

So it's not Lennon's behaviour but the club he manages? I'm glad we've agreed that Lennon doesn't really do anything to justify his treatment.

By the way, the hatred between Celtic and Rangers doesn't explain why a Hearts fan attacked him.

Beefster
12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Lennon sent more bullets.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Celtic-Manager-Neil-Lennon-Is-Sent-Bullet-After-Attack-During-Premier-League-Game-Against-Hearts/Article/201105215990226?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15990226_Celtic_Manager_Neil_Lennon_Is _Sent_Bullet_After_Attack_During_Premier_League_Ga me_Against_Hearts

Bostonhibby
12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I am absolutely gutted for the already poor reputation of Scottish football and Scotland, my country, here.

I think we have to separate how the guy earns his living, how he executes it and who his employers are, from his rights as an individual. I can see that sometimes football is different in peoples eyes and it can lead to extraordinary behaviour, following Hibs does that to me.

My problem here has been that generally all types of football fans have found ways to express all extremeties of their dislike for clubs, players and managers without reaching where we are now. A new more sinister trend is emerging and coincidentally its focussed on Neil Lennon.

It might be that you don't like what he says or how he says it in relation to his role as a player or manager at Celtc. You may not even like the club or what its extreme element say, sing and do - I certainly don't - but I can't equate the nasty targetting of the guy to the extent he has been as being anything but the product of people who would probably use this style of menace (or in the case of the social misfit last night just lunacy) to get their way in matters that aren't directly football related.

The Hertz guy is probably just a guy who wants to join the big boys gang and wanted to get his stripes by doing something on telly. He will meet a like minded but biger guy somewhere and that will be the end of him.

The other stuff is in my view rooted in the fact that someone or some group has
squared in their own minds that its okay to kill or maim and maybe put others at risk too because they don't like Lennon as he is Cletc manager, he says things that offends them in a football context or he is a catholic or he played for the wrong team, whatever.................

The problem for us all is that there's usually plenty other stuff these types don't like and they usually deal with it in the same way. Whatever you think of the target here, it's just not acceptable to go this far under the guise of being an actual football fan rather than someone who is obsessively aligned to a football club that happens to be in some way historically aligned to their greater prejudices and I think thats where we are now.

What next? will it be necessary to check with the bombers first to work out who exactly is acceptable to manage a club, play for your country, or anything else that happens to be a priority for these people, not to support Lennon, or whoever happens to be targeted next is the beginning of the end.

This is about a one time beautiful game that excites passions like few others, and properly chanelled are fantastic, win or lose, Neds like the wanabee yam will get a quick shafting in Barlinnie and that'll be it, he will be replaced by the next nylon trousered England shirted scarf twirler and we will all have a good laugh, the other aspect is acutely a Scottish problem that has been allowed to build because of tokenism by the establishment and virtually complicity by SFA inaction.

The spotlight is on Scotland as a society rather than football in general to get this dealt with at incident level and national level - I just don't feel the SFA will ever have the power and maybe even the will to try and restore some credibility through meaningful penalties ad credible programmes to address the problem, its more than just football but the cancer has been allowed to grow there.

Tin hat on

I posted before that I met Neil Lennon socially through a friend, setting aside any views about his club, I thought he was very courteous, even quiet, and was pretty complimentary and knowledgeable about our club. I gather that John Greig, another guy I villified in football was otherwise a gentleman..........

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2011, 02:17 PM
So it's not Lennon's behaviour but the club he manages? I'm glad we've agreed that Lennon doesn't really do anything to justify his treatment.

His behaviour is part of the problem though, he's the figurehead of the organisation. Numptys wont go for their tea lady, they attack the ones rightly or wrongly they percieve to be at the top

By the way, the hatred between Celtic and Rangers doesn't explain why a Hearts fan attacked him.

It does the bullets and bombs, i dont think for one minute thats a hearts fan. Last nights attack was a numpty probably having a go because of what lemon said about his team after they lay down on saturday at ibrox?

Beefster
12-05-2011, 02:58 PM
It does the bullets and bombs, i dont think for one minute thats a hearts fan. Last nights attack was a numpty probably having a go because of what lemon said about his team after they lay down on saturday at ibrox?

As I said before, Lennon hasn't said anything that countless other managers have said before. No-one physically attacked Collins after he called them a pub-team.

Lennon is disliked/hated for his behaviour as manager of Celtic. The assaults, bullets and bombs are because he's Northern Irish Catholic.

marinello59
12-05-2011, 03:00 PM

He's been charged with assault aggravated by religous prejudice.

iwasthere1972
12-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I think he needs "to bite the bullet" and go. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2011, 03:16 PM
As I said before, Lennon hasn't said anything that countless other managers have said before. No-one physically attacked Collins after he called them a pub-team.

Lennon is disliked/hated for his behaviour as manager of Celtic. The assaults, bullets and bombs are because he's Northern Irish Catholic.

I agree with that 100% he's also hated because of his behaviour as a celtic player too. Collins was indeed not attacked after his pub team comments, he was not in the paper every week though, having a go at almost everything from the 2nd world war to the aids crisis.

As most have said, he should not have whats happened to him, but surely anyone with half a brain would keep their head down, and not fan the flames as he does?

And will probably be pushed to the head of every interview by celtic to dilute the religous prejudice that happens every week in glasgow.

Stevie Reid
12-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd like to think that this SNP government that will be concerned about the global image of Scotland and Scottish football will either step in or put serious pressure on the SFA/SPL to take severe action to sort out the problems within the game.

We'll see though.

hibiedude
12-05-2011, 03:37 PM
This issue will be hijacked by the Glasgow media to hide their own shame that we see week in week out at both Parkhead and Ibrox.

The guy has been charged with assault aggravated by religious prejudice which is a joke.

The guy probably had to much to drink and fancied a go at Lennon, pure and simple.

Is the guy a hearts or are we just assuming he's a yam because watching the game last I saw a lot of union jack flags.

Lennon’s time is up at Celtic because things are not going to get any better next season- just my opinion

Beefster
12-05-2011, 04:00 PM
This issue will be hijacked by the Glasgow media to hide their own shame that we see week in week out at both Parkhead and Ibrox.

The guy has been charged with assault aggravated by religious prejudice which is a joke.

The guy probably had to much to drink and fancied a go at Lennon, pure and simple.

Is the guy a hearts or are we just assuming he's a yam because watching the game last I saw a lot of union jack flags.

Lennon’s time is up at Celtic because things are not going to get any better next season- just my opinion

A Union flag implies a Rangers fan? Is this serious?

Hibernia Na Eir
12-05-2011, 04:23 PM
im tempted to buy a NL t-shirt and wear it next derby game in support of the guy.

pacorosssco
12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Neil Lennon is a tosspot pure and simple. He doesnt deserve to be attacked but he has for his whole time in Scotland courted controversy. It has gone to far though and maybe he will also reflect on his actions. I for one dont bye that this guy went for him because he is a catholic I think it was more to do with the comments Lennon made in the press regarding the Hearts team and too much sherry added to at best bad refering.

Terrible press for league and country however the buck stops with the SFA. The songs the Celtic support were singing last night have no place at a football game and knowing enough Celtic supporters have nothing to do with them either

SECOND MOST SUPPORTED PROTESTANT CLUB IN SCOTLAND = CELTIC

hibiedude
12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
A Union flag implies a Rangers fan? Is this serious?

During the half time chat between Neil McCann and David Tanner you could clearly see Union Flags through the large window. so Yes I am Serious.

other must have noticed it

Greentinted
12-05-2011, 04:44 PM

Aye but in saying that Hearts have a problem to eradicate and should be big enough not to get into the 'they do it as well' nonsense and concentrate on their own, not insignificant sectarian malaise.

Is the guy a hearts or are we just assuming he's a yam because watching the game last I saw a lot of union jack flags. Apparently he is a well known Jambo Jakey with previous and has been banned from Tynecastle in the past for similar behaviour (anti-social neddery with a sectarian twist - not leathering visiting team managers).

:agree: Unless Lennon seriously modifies his behaviour you are right; as I've said elsewhere, its past silly now.

Beefster
12-05-2011, 04:47 PM
During the half time chat between Neil McCann and David Tanner you could clearly see Union Flags through the large window. so Yes I am Serious.

other must have noticed it

Come to a derby at ER and you'll see dozens of Union flags in the away end. Hearts fans use them too, hence why you saw them at Tynecastle.

Nothing to do with Rangers fans.

Craig_in_Prague
12-05-2011, 04:51 PM
SSN reporting Hearts have gave the fan life time ban.

No surprise i guess.

hibiedude
12-05-2011, 04:53 PM
:agree: Unless Lennon seriously modifies his behaviour you are right; as I've said elsewhere, its past silly now.

I haven’t read a thing about the Refs part in last nights farce because he clearly lost control of this game especially with the sending offs.

Celtic got most of the decisions and if we forget for a second it was against the yams for me that’s when the trouble started.

If you look a the decisions when the old firm play in Europe, there seems to be a more balanced approach when a foreign Ref takes charge.

hibiedude
12-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Come to a derby at ER and you'll see dozens of Union flags in the away end. Hearts fans use them too, hence why you saw them at Tynecastle.

Nothing to do with Rangers fans.

Iv'e been to many derby games both home and away and i'll wait till the facts come out and see what team this muppet supported.

sesoim
12-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Celtic themselves should take some of the blame for all the hassle Lennon is getting. All the bleating about being "victims" this season has wound many people up and, unfortunately, because of who and what Lennon is, there will always be a nutter out there who takes things too far.

A lot of people have contributed to this, but Celtic should accept some responsibility themselves. Of course they wont though, because they would rather wind people up so they can play the victims again and again in this country.

500miles
12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Neil Lennon is already a target. The fact that he then mouths off and antagonises people for little or no reason only makes him seem like a LEGITIMATE target to some people.

Basically he's giving people an excuse. That's not to say that the people targetting him aren't ****, but he wouldn't be on the brink of having to give up his job if he wasn't such a tosser.

silverhibee
12-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Just maybe he enjoys the attention.

After the shame game at celtc park somebody from the celtc board or security team should have sat down with Lennon and explained to him how serious a situation this is for him, i know NL would know it was serious but since that game he has been very outspoken about other teams not trying against rankers since the split, his behaviour in the dug-out is a joke, running on the pitch, kicking water bottles, and walking on to the pitch at Ibrox and noising the huns up at the last old firm game, the people i feel sorry for are Thomson and Majalby who seem to look at NL in the dug-out and are having to tell him to calm down all the time, also the players are getting caught up in this as well, it must be a bit on the scary side for them going to training at Lennoxtown, bullets bombs and death threats being sent to anyone connected to celtc.
The celtc board will more than likley back NL through all this due to the support NL gets from the celtc support, but there board have to do the right thing for all celtc emloyees and make sure that when they come to there place of work that they are safe in that enviroment, right now they are not safe at there work as was shown last night at the pink bus shelter.

Wotherspiniesta
12-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I've not read through the entire thread but here's my tuppence worth.

Lennon is the pantomime villain of Scottish football. He's the guy everyone loves to hate and for years now he has put up this image of "me against the world". He acts that image out to the camera's. He's an arse. And a loathsome person in footballing terms. We'd all probably (myself included) join in a chant of "Lennon get tae ****" Its all part of the footballing banter which adds to the atmosphere when we play Celtic, or when Lennon is involved with any team.The truth of the matter is, outside of football we don't know Neil Lennon. You never hear about him starting any trouble off the field and in general, the guy is spoken highly of amongst people that know him. Players, managers etc.

What has been happening to Lennon is nothing short of disgusting. These "people" sending parcel bombs to the guys house obviously have a totally warped view on reality as they more than likely don't know the guy outside of football. And as for that moron trying to deck him last night. He's obviously 3 sandwiches short of a picnic.

We're talking about a hate figure IN FOOTBALL. It's Neill Lennon FFS. He's not Osama Bin Laden.

basehibby
12-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Bit of a leap of faith that one no???? (pun arrrgh!)

Unless the polis heard the Yam shouting "Ya pape basturt" or some other pish as he swiped at Lennon I would have thought they'd find it hard to make that stick.

The possible reasons for the yamturd's casperesque lunge are myriad - could have been cos he's a raving bigot but could equally have been Lennon's comments post hun/yam gubbing the week before. Either way he should be locked up for his gash dress sense regardless

heretoday
12-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Lennon must be really stupid. Imagine putting your family through all that stress.

Sir David Gray
12-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Bit of a leap of faith that one no???? (pun arrrgh!)

Unless the polis heard the Yam shouting "Ya pape basturt" or some other pish as he swiped at Lennon I would have thought they'd find it hard to make that stick.

The possible reasons for the yamturd's casperesque lunge are myriad - could have been cos he's a raving bigot but could equally have been Lennon's comments post hun/yam gubbing the week before. Either way he should be locked up for his gash dress sense regardless

:agree: That's exactly what I said when I heard what he had been charged with.

There is no way that the "religiously aggravated" part of the charge can be proved beyond reasonable doubt in court, unless someone's heard him say something like this at the time of the attack.

CropleyWasGod
12-05-2011, 09:54 PM
:agree: That's exactly what I said when I heard what he had been charged with.

There is no way that the "religiously aggravated" part of the charge can be proved beyond reasonable doubt in court, unless someone's heard him say something like this at the time of the attack.

My thoughts, too.

But, the police will have taken statements before charging him. So, presumably someone (Lennon or Thompson, or both) HAS said that there was something said. Of course, the "other side" will say "aye, but they would say that, fenian etc etc..."

FranckSuzy
12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
:tin hat: OK, while I'd never condone what has happened to Neil Lennon, and I'm not only referring here to him or Celtic but is it just me that's pretty tired of the PC brigade appearing everytime something goes wrong? On this occasion, Lennon surely has to look at his own behaviour, which, IMHO, hasn't helped matters. Laws against discrimination, be it racial, religious, sexual, abilty etc, were introduced to protect the vulnerable-not to prevent adults taking responsibilty for their own actions. I see it all the time in my work "you can't say that"/take them to task etc because they're Asian, gay etc (you get the jist). Why not? If I have underperformed I am rightly told so it should be a level playing field. Celtic must stop the inflammatory nature of interviews and all of this 'they're out to get us' mentality. Some of this is because of what Neil Lennon/Celtic have said and done NOT because they are a catholic club. This takes away from genuine occasions where innocent people are targeted. It should not give people an excuse to behave in an offensive manner because others are too scared to complain/react in this PC climate.

As has been mentioned, how can they say that it is religious bigotry? Not just assault? What about Lennon/McCoist? Why was that not classed as 'religious'? There has to be a level playing field.

HibbyAndy
12-05-2011, 10:02 PM
:tin hat: OK, while I'd never condone what has happened to Neil Lennon, and I'm not only referring here to him or Celtic but is it just me that's pretty tired of the PC brigade appearing everytime something goes wrong? On this occasion, Lennon surely has to look at his own behaviour, which, IMHO, hasn't helped matters. Laws against discrimination, be it racial, religious, sexual, abilty etc, were introduced to protect the vulnerable-not to prevent adults taking responsibilty for their own actions. I see it all the time in my work "you can't say that"/take them to task etc because they're Asian, gay etc (you get the jist). Why not? If I have underperformed I am rightly told so it should be a level playing field. Celtic must stop the inflammatory nature of interviews and all of this 'they're out to get us' mentality. Some of this is because of what Neil Lennon/Celtic have said and done NOT because they are a catholic club. This takes away from genuine occasions where innocent people are targeted. It should not give people an excuse to behave in an offensive manner because others are too scared to complain/react in this PC climate.

As has been mentioned, how can they say that it is religious bigotry? Not just assault? What about Lennon/McCoist? Why was that not classed as 'religious'? There has to be a level playing field.

Comin oan Facebook for a laugh?

CropleyWasGod
12-05-2011, 10:03 PM

I'm not aware that the famous PC Brigade have come out here. The people who have spoken out, here and elsewhere, are people who abhor this kind of attack. That is all.

As to your asking "how can they say that it is religious bigotry?", see my previous post. They will have charged him on the basis of the evidence they have. ie statements from those who witnessed it at close quarters.

FranckSuzy
12-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Comin oan Facebook for a laugh?

Andrew, I am hurt and feel discriminated against that you have not even considered my post above and have instead, cheapened it with facebook comments. Where's that lawyers number? :devil:

Aye, ok then :greengrin

HibbyAndy
12-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Andrew, I am hurt and feel discriminated against that you have not even considered my post above and have instead, cheapened it with facebook comments. Where's that lawyers number? :devil:

Aye, ok then :greengrin

A did read it huni honest :hilarious :thumbsup:

Moan oan :greengrin

FranckSuzy
12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm not aware that the famous PC Brigade have come out here. The people who have spoken out, here and elsewhere, are people who abhor this kind of attack. That is all.

As to your asking "how can they say that it is religious bigotry?", see my previous post. They will have charged him on the basis of the evidence they have. ie statements from those who witnessed it at close quarters.

Ok, thanks. Got that now.

IMHO, it is the PC brigade regards to some of it. NL seems to have been absolved of all blame (not talking about last night or bullets etc as that is indefensible) when it has been his behaviour that has caused some of the problems. I mean, was it wise to cup your ears to the Rangers fans for example? Or allude to Hearts not trying against Rangers? Not exactly wise as far as I am concerned.

marinello59
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM

Sorry, what are you trying to say there? Should people speak out about offensive behaviour or not.

FranckSuzy
12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Sorry, what are you trying to say there? Should people speak out about offensive behaviour or not.

What I'm trying to say, perhaps badly, is that when someone has behaved badly, it should not be ignored i.e. Lennon not being pulled up for some of the inflammatory things he has said/done because it would be seen as anti-catholic. Why can't it just be seen as unwise/controversial/misguided etc. Again, not talking about last night's debarcle as that was disgusting.

Sir David Gray
12-05-2011, 10:19 PM
My thoughts, too.

But, the police will have taken statements before charging him. So, presumably someone (Lennon or Thompson, or both) HAS said that there was something said. Of course, the "other side" will say "aye, but they would say that, fenian etc etc..."

IIRC, all that the police need to do to be able to charge someone with a "hate crime" is for them to ask the victim whether they believed the attack to be motivated by a hatred of their race, religion, sexuality etc etc.

I'm not saying that is definitely what's happened in this case but maybe the police asked Lennon whether or not he thought the guy attacked him because he's a Roman Catholic. If he told them that he thought he had been attacked because of his religion, then I believe that would be enough for them to charge the guy with "religiously aggravated" assault, without actually hearing him say anything at all.

If this is the case, I don't see how this can possibly result in a conviction in court.

CropleyWasGod
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
IIRC, all that the police need to do to be able to charge someone with a "hate crime" is for them to ask the victim whether they believed the attack to be motivated by a hatred of their race, religion, sexuality etc etc.

I'm not saying that is definitely what's happened in this case but maybe the police asked Lennon whether or not he thought the guy attacked him because he's a Roman Catholic. If he told them that he thought he had been attacked because of his religion, then I believe that would be enough for them to charge the guy with "religiously aggravated" assault, without actually hearing him say anything at all.

If this is the case, I don't see how this can possibly result in a conviction in court.

Wasn't aware of that definition of the law. Thanks.

I can see it resulting in a compromise... he'll admit to assault, and the rest will be let drop.

NAE NOOKIE
12-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Am I wrong or is there a case to be made that celtic are in a way happy to play up to this " we are the most persecuted club in British football " scenario and in some ways try to encourage that perception of the club.

It is a fact that many people like to identify with this kind of thing.

E.G. I'm a celtic fan, you cant possibly understand what its like having to battle through the persecution of the SFA / SPL and the hatred of the rest of Scottish society. Ergo, we are the best fans in the world.

In a sense Manchester Utd grew into a huge global club, perhaps not totally, but certainly in part due to the Munich airport disaster. Munchausen syndrome by proxy in a sense.

In a different, perhaps more calculated way, celtic are trying to create their own version of that. Or if not create, at least take advantage of.

Idiots sending bullets in the post and daft Yams certainly cant be to celtics liking, but I wouldnt put it past them to at least tacitly make the most of the situation.

I obviously have no concrete proof that this is the situation, but thats how its starting to look to me.

The Harp Awakes
13-05-2011, 12:10 AM

Totally disagree. For me, his predecessor, Gordon Strachan was far more irritating and offensive than Neil Lennon. Strangely, Gordon never experienced any of the antics being directed at Lennon. It doesn't take a genious to figure out why NL is the subject of these illegal acts when GS was not.

Beefster
13-05-2011, 06:52 AM

I don't think that anyone is saying that Lennon's behaviour is fine. We're saying that his behaviour doesn't justify the assaults, bullets and parcel bombs. Good to see the infamous 'PC Brigade' get used, once again, to defend the indefensible.

By the way, the logic you use above is the same as that used by the folk who reckon some rape victims 'are asking for it' by wearing provocative clothing.

hibsbollah
13-05-2011, 07:02 AM
By the way, the logic you use above is the same as that used by the folk who reckon some rape victims 'are asking for it' by wearing provocative clothing.

Just what i was thinking yesterday. The 'she had a mini skirt and heels, she mustve been begging for it' defence.

pacorosssco
13-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Totally disagree. For me, his predecessor, Gordon Strachan was far more irritating and offensive than Neil Lennon. Strangely, Gordon never experienced any of the antics being directed at Lennon. It doesn't take a genious to figure out why NL is the subject of these illegal acts when GS was not.

Good point but this sums it up in a nutshell. Celtic fans hated Strachan and were vocal about removing him from his post despite having a better record than Saint Martin. He was hounded out the door by the fans of Celtic who would rather have a less successful Celtic minded manager. I agree Strachan was annoying but he wasnt as bad as Lennon IMO. There was no referee strike under Strachan and his disdain was usually directed at the media.

Lennon has become Celtic manager a short time after finishing a playing career where at worst he was the least liked professional player of his generation in Scottish football.This was not because of where he was from or his religion but because he was a player opposition fans love to hate. Souness was the same and I dont think his religion played any part in being public enemy number 1.

Celtic and Lennon are not blameless in this but it has gone to far. I am fed up of Celtic using this as a religious issue as I wonder how many Celtic fans are in attendance on Sunday mornings compared to Saturday afternoons. I have always hated Rangers as far back as I can remember but for a long time now I hate Celtic. Hearts are our main rivals but I have more time for out petty squables with their fans than the OF.

Facts are if an independent body was to come to Scotland and review this they would find all clubs have small problem elements but two clubs would account for the majority of sectarian activity. Celtic fans can no longer hide behind the best fans in the world with their Nacho Novo songs for example or any number of the ones belted out at Tynecastle the other night no more than Rangers fans can deny they create bother everywhere they go and that there songs arent acceptable. Andy Walkers and Chic Young's can make the point of it being a nationwide problem and they are correct but it is because the Old Firm have fans nationwide and if anything the ones from AYR/FIFE/LOTHIANS ETC are worse than their Glasgow counterparts.

The majority of these fans are also hypocrites of the highest order. People born and bred in Scotland signing songs about other peoples battles and religions they haven't been either born into or practice.

Will anything happen . NO. Hearts will bear the blame for this because it is convenient rather than tackle the big problem which is CELTIC and RANGERS as clubs utter disregard for the rest of scottish football and each other

FranckSuzy
13-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Good point but this sums it up in a nutshell. Celtic fans hated Strachan and were vocal about removing him from his post despite having a better record than Saint Martin. He was hounded out the door by the fans of Celtic who would rather have a less successful Celtic minded manager. I agree Strachan was annoying but he wasnt as bad as Lennon IMO. There was no referee strike under Strachan and his disdain was usually directed at the media.

Lennon has become Celtic manager a short time after finishing a playing career where at worst he was the least liked professional player of his generation in Scottish football.This was not because of where he was from or his religion but because he was a player opposition fans love to hate. Souness was the same and I dont think his religion played any part in being public enemy number 1.

Celtic and Lennon are not blameless in this but it has gone to far. I am fed up of Celtic using this as a religious issue as I wonder how many Celtic fans are in attendance on Sunday mornings compared to Saturday afternoons. I have always hated Rangers as far back as I can remember but for a long time now I hate Celtic. Hearts are our main rivals but I have more time for out petty squables with their fans than the OF.

Facts are if an independent body was to come to Scotland and review this they would find all clubs have small problem elements but two clubs would account for the majority of sectarian activity. Celtic fans can no longer hide behind the best fans in the world with their Nacho Novo songs for example or any number of the ones belted out at Tynecastle the other night no more than Rangers fans can deny they create bother everywhere they go and that there songs arent acceptable. Andy Walkers and Chic Young's can make the point of it being a nationwide problem and they are correct but it is because the Old Firm have fans nationwide and if anything the ones from AYR/FIFE/LOTHIANS ETC are worse than their Glasgow counterparts.

The majority of these fans are also hypocrites of the highest order. People born and bred in Scotland signing songs about other peoples battles and religions they haven't been either born into or practice.

Will anything happen . NO. Hearts will bear the blame for this because it is convenient rather than tackle the big problem which is CELTIC and RANGERS as clubs utter disregard for the rest of scottish football and each other

:top marksGreat post.

steakbake
13-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm in the unusual position of agreeing with Beefster here. I find the kind of arguments that Lennon has in some way, brought this on himself or is somehow responsible for it as totally reprehensible.

Neil Lennon himself was not anyone's target until he was picked as captain of the Northern Ireland football team. A "catholic" player who wanted to play for a "protestant" country. Is this the actions of someone who has the politics and religion of N.Ireland at the heart of what he does?

A nasty campaign of hatred then ensued, effectively bullying him out of an international career. Then the Rangers fans started booing him and making him a target of abuse when he was playing for Celtic - and then others started following suit because the cancer of bigotry has spread throughout Scotland.

Then he had the audacity to become manager of Celtic, where I would agree, he has made some controversial comments however, these have only ever been about footballing matters. Arsene Wenger moans every week, as does Tony Pulis - but they are not in the sectarian hotbed of the OF. They don't get death threats...

He doesn't make political or religious statements. But the hate campaign against him has escalated to a point where he is under 24 hour protection, receiving bullets in the post, his family have been threatened, he has been assaulted in the street and now in his place of work. He deserves absolutely none of this. Nobody would deserve it.

Some of the posts about this whole issue on this forum are nothing short of apologies for bigotry. Yes, the songs come from both sides, they're both odious and both cheeks of the same erchie, but this is not the point. These kind of posts are probably not intended as excuses for the bigots, but folk shouldn't let their feelings for what Lennon is like as a football manager or Celtic as a football club cloud their judgement to thinking that any of this campaign of violence and intimidation is in any way acceptable or deserved. Essentially, there's plenty of explanations and excuses being offered, but precious little condemnation.

The SFA and SPL have failed to act. Even when an OF match spilled into violence, the beaks took half measures. Meanwhile, those overseas can see it for what it is: Rangers have been hit with a penalty by UEFA for sectarian singing. Our own domestic associations have sat on their hands, afraid to rock the boat. With our reputation internationally increasingly tarnished, they have failed Scottish football. I'm surprised that I have totally changed my mind in recent weeks because the way that non-OF fans appear to have reacted to the situation as well, I think shows that bigotry is alive and well in different shades across the country. It's not just an OF problem.

Aldo
13-05-2011, 11:12 AM
IIRC, all that the police need to do to be able to charge someone with a "hate crime" is for them to ask the victim whether they believed the attack to be motivated by a hatred of their race, religion, sexuality etc etc.I'm not saying that is definitely what's happened in this case but maybe the police asked Lennon whether or not he thought the guy attacked him because he's a Roman Catholic. If he told them that he thought he had been attacked because of his religion, then I believe that would be enough for them to charge the guy with "religiously aggravated" assault, without actually hearing him say anything at all.

Doesnt need to be the victim it can be anyone who thinks/percieves that the incident is of that nature.

Anyway regardless of who it is against Lennon doesnt deserve what he is getting TBH...again this is my opinion. The folk that are sending this stuff through the post are putting numerous persons at risk of serious injury and deserve to be locked up. An example needs to be made of them and there is a very good chance that this will happen.

Betty Boop
13-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I can't get my head around the venom and hatred shown towards Neil Lennon. You would think he had committed murder or worse. As an aside, I heard Roughy last night talking about when a Hertz fan tried to attack him at Tynecastle. Anybody remember the incident ?

CropleyWasGod
13-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I can't get my head around the venom and hatred shown towards Neil Lennon. You would think he had committed murder or worse. As an aside, I heard Roughy last night talking about when a Hertz fan tried to attack him at Tynecastle. Anybody remember the incident ?

<amateur psychologist smiley>

It's a tribal thing, I reckon. As a society, we seem to like to have figures of fun, figures of adoration, and figures of hate. We seem to want our public figures to be black or white, with no acknowledgement of the reality that nobody is either.

So, factor in football, where fans tend to leave much of their rational thinking at home, and you can see that Lennon fits nicely into that pocket where venom can be "justifiably" vented. Leave aside the reputation that he has as a decent guy, leave aside his courage to talk publicly about his depression, in those terms he IS a ginger fenian moaning cheating paranoid dirty ****bag.

hibsbollah
13-05-2011, 12:08 PM
<amateur psychologist smiley>

It's a tribal thing, I reckon. As a society, we seem to like to have figures of fun, figures of adoration, and figures of hate. We seem to want our public figures to be black or white, with no acknowledgement of the reality that nobody is either.

So, factor in football, where fans tend to leave much of their rational thinking at home, and you can see that Lennon fits nicely into that pocket where venom can be "justifiably" vented. Leave aside the reputation that he has as a decent guy, leave aside his courage to talk publicly about his depression, in those terms he IS a ginger fenian moaning cheating paranoid dirty ****bag.

You're right, he played the role of pantomime villain on the pitch very well. I remember Boozy lifting the ball over him, sort of teasing him with a bit of exquisite skill at ER 5 years or so ago when he was rushing about trying to intimidate the midfield. We all laughed applauded and booed. It was a brilliant piece of slapstick. For most of us, we 'hated' him on a footballing level, but you need to be ignorant or hate him for reasons other than football to want to wish him harm.

I think it all links back to him being made 'Norn Iron' captain and the No Surrender mob deciding to send the death threats. That was 10+ years ago IIRC-he must be quite a character to have lived through all that hate for so long while dealing with mental illness. I've got sympathy for the man.

CropleyWasGod
13-05-2011, 12:25 PM
You're right, he played the role of pantomime villain on the pitch very well. I remember Boozy lifting the ball over him, sort of teasing him with a bit of exquisite skill at ER 5 years or so ago when he was rushing about trying to intimidate the midfield. We all laughed applauded and booed. It was a brilliant piece of slapstick. For most of us, we 'hated' him on a footballing level, but you need to be ignorant or hate him for reasons other than football to want to wish him harm.

I think it all links back to him being made 'Norn Iron' captain and the No Surrender mob deciding to send the death threats. That was 10+ years ago IIRC-he must be quite a character to have lived through all that hate for so long while dealing with mental illness. I've got sympathy for the man.

.. as do I, as do most rational people. But, the moment you say something like that, immediately there's this assumption that you're "on his side", that you must be black or white (or green or orange), that there can't be somewhere in the middle. It's that polarisation that depresses the hell out of me.

The Falcon
13-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Celtic (and Rangers) have managed and manipulated sectarianism over the years to the sustantial financial benefit of each club. They have farmed the prejudices and bigotry of their substantial following and grown stronger on the back of these things. A bit like herion pushers and their addicts in that they need each other.

The "Old Firm" right enough.

But the rest of the people are becoming more socially aware and less tolerant of their extremist elements and the bile they spout. They are no longer managing the situation like they used to, and this is the result. Someone will get badly hurt.

I have sympathy for the man and the situation he's in as this is much bigger than NL.

Kevvy1875
13-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Hearing alot of this 'brings it on himself' bandied about......(from lot's of people in general)

What exactly did he do at Tynie the other night to 'bring that on himself'?

I accept that Lennon has and can be a nippy character but can think of many like him who have not had a 100th of the abuse and threats he has had to put up with.

Its the sustained venom over many years that's sickening. Look at the guys eyes when he does TV interviews.....he ain't sleeping well. I have no idea why he doesn't just walk away tbh.

Although I have never cared for him much especially after him feigning injury from Broony touching heads at ER but can have nothing but sympathy for him in this situation. Why should he wear it?...who can blame him for biting back? Wouldn't you snap?

Smiggy 7-0
13-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Think this has gone beyond " NORTHERN IRISH - CATHOLIC ".

Don't agree with what happened on wednesday, but think most of us agree Lennon is irritating to say the least, and it's about time he thought about what he is saying before he opens his mouth, and some of his touchline antics.

Martin O'Neil is NORTHERN IRISH CATHOLIC, but nobody thought of him as they do LENNON.

I have no doubt if there was a poll of who was the most disliked person in scottish football LENNON would be tops.

stoneyburn hibs
15-05-2011, 12:27 PM
lennon will not be celtic manager come next season, he will have to walk or he will be pushed by the board, damning cctv footage of him in tunnel at ibrox

BEEJ
15-05-2011, 12:32 PM
As an aside, I heard Roughy last night talking about when a Hertz fan tried to attack him at Tynecastle. Anybody remember the incident ?
If this was when he had that bubble perm, that might explain it.

Betty Boop
15-05-2011, 01:05 PM
lennon will not be celtic manager come next season, he will have to walk or he will be pushed by the board, damning cctv footage of him in tunnel at ibrox

Soon to be followed by the Lennon-coke-IRA story. :faf:

Barney McGrew
15-05-2011, 01:36 PM
According to Lennon today "A lot of people in the game here need to have a good look at themselves in the mirror"

hibiedude
15-05-2011, 01:41 PM
According to Lennon today "A lot of people in the game here need to have a good look at themselves in the mirror"

Just posted that on another thread,

I say lets start with Lennon :agree:

whiskyhibby
15-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Just posted that on another thread,

I say lets start with Lennon :agree:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A classless, conspiracy fantasist Ned if ever there was one.............

Kaiser1962
15-05-2011, 02:00 PM

He didnt say who I suppose?

No? Thought not. That lot are unbelievable. :asshole:

Barney McGrew
15-05-2011, 02:04 PM
He didnt say who I suppose?

No? Thought not. That lot are unbelievable. :asshole:

Nope, just a thinly veiled dig at everyone else. He also said that everyone at Celtc had nothing to answer for this season :rolleyes:

Just another case of him playing up to the audience, when a simple comment of 'Congratulations to Rangers, we're disappointed but we'll be back next season stronger to challenge them' or something to that effect would have been a far classier way to respond.

iwasthere1972
15-05-2011, 02:08 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Neil Lennon posted the bullets to himself and paid for the Yam to take a swipe at him at Tynecastle. Let's face it all this non-football stuff that's gone on has probably kept him in a job. Any other manager who has just lost the title to their dear friends on the other side of the city would have probably been sacked today.

Anyway must go and have a look at myself in the mirror.

hibiedude
15-05-2011, 02:10 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Neil Lennon posted the bullets to himself and paid for the Yam to take a swipe at him at Tynecastle. Let's face it all this non-football stuff that's gone on has probably kept him in a job. Any other manager who has just lost the title to their dear friends on the other side of the city would have probably been sacked today.

Anyway must go and have a look at myself in the mirror.

:faf::faf::faf:

Hibs Class
15-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Nope, just a thinly veiled dig at everyone else. He also said that everyone at Celtc had nothing to answer for this season :rolleyes:

Just another case of him playing up to the audience, when a simple comment of 'Congratulations to Rangers, we're disappointed but we'll be back next season stronger to challenge them' or something to that effect would have been a far classier way to respond.

He was never likely to be a gracious loser. Trouble is that the Parkhead masses will lap it up and completely believe the gospel according to St Neil, and so the paranoia etc. will live to see another season.

hibiedude
15-05-2011, 02:16 PM
He was never likely to be a gracious loser. Trouble is that the Parkhead masses will lap it up and completely believe the gospel according to St Neil, and so the paranoia etc. will live to see another season.

Jim Trainer on sportsound saying Lennon needs to take a long hard look at himself and stop pointing the finger at others.

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I wonder if any journalist has the balls to ask Lemon who he thinks should take a good look at themselves in a mirror?:confused:

Sir David Gray
15-05-2011, 02:23 PM
People can say whatever they like about sectarianism and all the rest of it and yes the treatment of Lennon at times this year has been unacceptable, but this is precisely the reason why the majority of people within Scottish football despise Neil Lennon.

It's a pity that it had to be Rangers who benefited from it but I am delighted that Celtic did not win the title.

Westie1875
15-05-2011, 02:27 PM
People can say whatever they like about sectarianism and all the rest of it and yes the treatment of Lennon at times this year has been unacceptable, but this is precisely the reason why the majority of people within Scottish football despise Neil Lennon.

It's a pity that it had to be Rangers who benefited from it but I am delighted that Celtic did not win the title.

And they still have time to screw up the cup as well, come on Motherwell!! :greengrin:wink:

Kaiser1962
15-05-2011, 02:28 PM
I wonder if any journalist has the balls to ask Lemon who he thinks should take a good look at themselves in a mirror?:confused:

They wont cos they cant. Dougie MacDonald and thats about it, even then its tenuous to say the least.

Frazerbob
15-05-2011, 03:29 PM

He was asked this on Radio Scotland and he dodged giving an answer. Something along the lines of "it's not for me to say. People should look at themselves and decide if it's them I'm talking about." he was then asked if he meant the press or fans to which he answered "too many people take too much out of the game without giving anything back" or something similar.

FANDANGO!

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2011, 03:34 PM
"too many people take too much out of the game without giving anything back"

My money's on Samaras being one of them.

hibsbollah
15-05-2011, 03:39 PM
"too many people take too much out of the game without giving anything back" or something similar.

That was clearly aimed at Rod Petrie. Lennon has no business slagging the tache.

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2011, 03:56 PM
He was asked this on Radio Scotland and he dodged giving an answer. Something along the lines of "it's not for me to say. People should look at themselves and decide if it's them I'm talking about." he was then asked if he meant the press or fans to which he answered "too many people take too much out of the game without giving anything back" or something similar.

FANDANGO!

The mans a prick, never in a million years would i think one man could have made me want either half of the bigot brothers to win rather than the other. Lemon has managed that for me.

Holmesdale Hibs
15-05-2011, 05:36 PM

:agree: Can't stand Neil Lennon. He was a pr1ck as a player and has thrived on being a pr1ck as a manager. Lennon's behaviour has been completely unacceptable and while that goes no where near justifying all the nonsense he has had to put up with, it goes a long way to explaining why it has happened.

It is no coincidence that he is the first old firm manager this has happened to.

Removed
15-05-2011, 06:05 PM
:agree: Can't stand Neil Lennon. He was a pr1ck as a player and has thrived on being a pr1ck as a manager. Lennon's behaviour has been completely unacceptable and while that goes no where near justifying all the nonsense he has had to put up with, it goes a long way to explaining why it has happened.

It is no coincidence that he is the first old firm manager this has happened to.

You can say prick on here :wink:

Beefster
15-05-2011, 06:16 PM

He was getting death threats as a player and had to give up international football so it's not something that's just happened because of something he's said this season.

Removed
15-05-2011, 06:22 PM
He was getting death threats as a player and had to give up international football so it's not something that's just happened because of something he's said this season.

I disliked him when he was a celtc player as well. Most people did. Nothing to do with his religion or birthplace for me. The sectarian nutters will have had their own reasons which won't have changed.

Dinkydoo
15-05-2011, 07:20 PM
this is precisely the reason why the majority of people within Scottish football despise Neil Lennon.

Smiggy 7-0
15-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Congrats to Rangers.

Lennon once again in your aftermatch comments you proved again how much of a toss-pot you are.

By the way I looked in the mirror and though mmm...no bad.

Jim44
15-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Two highlights of the season ................... We didn't get relegated and Lennon didn't get the League Title.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-05-2011, 09:20 PM
just seen Lennon on ITV news saying that some people need to have a good look at themselves in the mirror. Of course, went down well at the home of the deluded and paranoid. He is takimg the p*ss if he is not including himself. As much as he has insinuated, and suggested this season, the only thing that he has proved is that come the big games, he has less in his locker than old mother hubbard.

Hibercelona
15-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Lennons a t!t and does bring a lot of it on himself.

He doesn't however deserve to be attacked in the streets or have his family's lives put in danger.

He's and eejit, but he hasn't caused any harm to anybody, so I do feel a bit sorry for him.

I think he's offski now anyway.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Neil Lennon is aware that if HIS Celtic team had avoided defeat against Inverness (a bottom six side) a couple of weeks ago then Celtic would have won the league instead of Rangers, isn't he? :confused:

Neil Lennon has no-one to blame for his team's failure this season, except himself and his players.

But I'm sure highlighting a perceived anti-Celtic agenda within Scottish football will go down well with the professional victims that are Celtic FC supporters.

gringojoe
15-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm not a fan of Neil Lennon but he doesn't deserve what has happened to him or his family, I read the other day his 6 year old son gets special branch protection going to school.
I would hate the bigots to win and drive him out of Celtc even if he and his club spokesmen, imho, have not helped themselves with all their comments about being second class citizens.

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm not a fan of Neil Lennon but he doesn't deserve what has happened to him or his family, I read the other day his 6 year old son gets special branch protection going to school.
I would hate the bigots to win and drive him out of Celtc even if he and his club spokesmen, imho, have not helped themselves with all their comments about being second class citizens.

Both bigot clubs have lived off the troubles in Ireland for years, i find it funny it could now hurt them. :top marks

Dan Sarf
15-05-2011, 10:10 PM
You can say prick on here :wink:

Prick.

Prick.

gringojoe
15-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Both bigot clubs have lived off the troubles in Ireland for years, i find it funny it could now hurt them. :top marks

There are more than 2 bigot clubs in Scotland but you're right there are 2 clubs that have made plenty money by being bigot clubs.

Barney McGrew
18-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Although I think we're all agreed that Lennon is a grade A roaster, I have to give him some grudging credit for coming out with what he has about Celtc's fans and their chanting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/17/neil-lennon-celtic-unacceptable-chants

MrSmith
18-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Although I think we're all agreed that Lennon is a grade A roaster, I have to give him some grudging credit for coming out with what he has about Celtc's fans and their chanting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/17/neil-lennon-celtic-unacceptable-chants

I love the way he uses "unique history" hardly unique, stolen would be a better adjective!

Kaiser1962
18-05-2011, 07:06 AM
I love the way he uses "unique history" hardly unique, stolen would be a better adjective!

Unique my arse. Celtic's birthplace was in Leith not Ireland.

"open inclusive and welcoming"? What a load of pish.

If Celtic felt that this was wrong why have they been so silent for the last century? They are now under pressure and they have become strong whilst feeding the baying mob, the baying mob are now out of control and have taken them over.

Did anybody see the article about the chants at tynie being about the iRA in the times of the easter rising and nothing to do with the more recent version during the troubles. ******s the lot of them.

marinello59
18-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Unique my arse. Celtic's birthplace was in Leith not Ireland.

"open inclusive and welcoming"? What a load of pish.

If Celtic felt that this was wrong why have they been so silent for the last century? They are now under pressure and they have become strong whilst feeding the baying mob, the baying mob are now out of control and have taken them over.

Did anybody see the article about the chants at tynie being about the iRA in the times of the easter rising and nothing to do with the more recent version during the troubles. ******s the lot of them.

I welcome any condemnation of that sort of garbage by anybody in authority at either of the Old Form clubs.
We see plenty of posts on here asking why the clubs themselves don't condemn such behaviour yet when they do their motivation is questioned. I really don't care what the motivation is, Lennon has done a good thing and deserves credit for it.

Kaiser1962
18-05-2011, 07:23 AM
I welcome any condemnation of that sort of garbage by anybody in authority at either of the Old Form clubs.
We see plenty of posts on here asking why the clubs themselves don't condemn such behaviour yet when they do their motivation is questioned. I really don't care what the motivation is, Lennon has done a good thing and deserves credit for it.

I dont disagree with your point but I do question their motivation. It so happens they are under a bit of scrutiny because the Yam masses have made a number of video's available to the media of the Celtic fan's behaviour last week. Questions are being asked that may impinge on their stated desire to play in England. Ever.

Had that not happened then I may not have been so cynical.

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2011, 08:17 AM

Thats correct, lemon has said a little of what we all want to hear. Yet again though he mentions the small minority a few times in the interview. If he was serious he'd say what it really was, and that was the majority virtually the full stand at tynecastle.

Celtic and Rangers love the sectarianism, just as long as its a wee bit. As someone else said, they have fed off it for years, now its taken over big style, and they know it, but dont know which way to turn.

Danderhall Hibs
18-05-2011, 11:23 AM

:agree: He does deserve credit for that statement. I'm yet to hear Smith come out about it.

LancashireHibby
18-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Fair play for that, shame it doesn't seem to be widely-reported.

Dinkydoo
18-05-2011, 11:56 AM
"In recent times, unfortunately there has been a re-emergence, from a small minority, of some of the singing and chanting which is simply not acceptable around our club."

Credit where credit is due.....

At least the behaviour has been acknoweldged and deemed as unacceptable rather than completely ignored.

I did however have a little chuckle about the mention of the "small minority" above; didn't look like a minority chanting "IRA, IRA, IRA" to me .

basehibby
18-05-2011, 12:02 PM
:agree: He does deserve credit for that statement. I'm yet to hear Smith come out about it.

I agree that Lennon deserves credit for this statement BUT it is still couched in a typical OF head burried up their own erse (pun?) kind of fashion.

"However small the minority of people involved, this behaviour has no place at Celtic"

The second part of this statement should be heartily applauded. However, the first is a lamentable continuation of the denial which still exists at all levels of the OF hierachies.

Both Celtic and Rangers have a MASSIVE problem with sectarianism and other historical bagage which is irrelevant to football and Scotland in general, and the sooner they face up to it the better. The hardcore of offenders MAY be a minority but it is certainly NOT a SMALL minority and there is a reason for that - these people and attitudes have been welcomed and encouraged by both clubs for the majority of their history.

DCI Gene Hunt
18-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Credit where credit's due, and a statement to be welcomed, but somewhat too little far too late from an individual & football club who effectively ruined last season for everyone else following & participating in the SPL with endless whinging/conspiracy theorioes about officials, the SPL/SFA, other clubs etc. Perhaps if this had been said nearer the start of the season this would have more weight to it, rather than spending his time winding up/slandering officials, other clubs, the SPL/SFA...

Agree with basehibby - both clubs have a very sizeable minority actively involved in sectarianism and violence that will not cease until the clubs actively root out the problem and the perpetrators and publicly cut themselves off from the warped historical nonsense that they have stood by and watched, or even in some cases in the past encouraged, but until then we will still have this embarrassing problem dragging the sport we love and our society back to the feudalism of the middle ages.

Still, at last Neil Lennon says something very sensable and commendable. Good on him. But a little late in the day.

G

ancient hibee
18-05-2011, 04:09 PM
The Old Firm has NO problem with sectarianism-it's what pays the wages bill and will continue to do so.UEFA only has jurisdiction in matches played in its competitions.Anyone that thinks the football or government authorities in Scotland will tackle it may be interested in financing my scheme to sell ice to the Eskimoes.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I would bet theres more than a few Celtic fans who are pissed off about saying "we are all Neil Lennon" after he criticised some of the entries on their songsheet though!

Stokesy
19-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Walter Smith?

He's made a couple of statements over the last few months in which he's said that it has to stop.

http://www.scotsman.com/rangersfc/Walter-Smith-admits-he-sang.6748693.jp
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/8439361/Walter-Smith-warns-Rangers-face-drastic-consequences-unless-fans-stop-sectarian-chants.html
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/242623-we-have-to-give-up-the-sectarian-songs-walter-smiths-plea-to-rangers-fans/

Danderhall Hibs
19-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Walter Smith?

He's made a couple of statements over the last few months in which he's said that it has to stop.

http://www.scotsman.com/rangersfc/Walter-Smith-admits-he-sang.6748693.jp
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/8439361/Walter-Smith-warns-Rangers-face-drastic-consequences-unless-fans-stop-sectarian-chants.html
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/242623-we-have-to-give-up-the-sectarian-songs-walter-smiths-plea-to-rangers-fans/

I didn’t read any of those links but the last time I heard him talk about it he was saying stuff like “who decides if it’s sectarian” rather than saying just don’t sing the songs.