PDA

View Full Version : MLS Player Salaries 2011 (NHC)

GreenCastle
09-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Always interesting reading to see what each player in the league is earning - Beckham / Henry etc

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/May%201,%202011%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

I have said it before and I will say it again I think the MLS is a better standard than the SPL.

Newer structure - better stadium facilities - organized fan groups without all the Old Firm baggage - standard of players improving every year.

It's everything the SPL should be aiming for but sadly the SPL is stuck in it's ways and won't improve or be more competitive till they make some big changes.

There is also some amazing talent coming through the youth systems for many of the teams Academies - which is a new thing as traditionally in US sports you do college then go pro.

one day maybe...
09-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah but Becks and Henry still getting $5 million a year, when really do they need to be taking that amount of cash out the game at this stage of their careers. Personally I would love to see some of these player who when they are coming to the twilight years of their career, go and play for some team that would really appreciate having that standard of player in their team and play for the same basic rate as the rest of the squad gets. It won't happen but imagine if it did, someone like Beckham playing for a lower league team nearest to where he grew up (whomever that may be). Surely they could do with the publicity more than the likes of a beckham, for me that is giving somethiong back to the real football fans and to the game.

GreenCastle
09-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah but Becks and Henry still getting $5 million a year, when really do they need to be taking that amount of cash out the game at this stage of their careers. Personally I would love to see some of these player who when they are coming to the twilight years of their career, go and play for some team that would really appreciate having that standard of player in their team and play for the same basic rate as the rest of the squad gets. It won't happen but imagine if it did, someone like Beckham playing for a lower league team nearest to where he grew up (whomever that may be). Surely they could do with the publicity more than the likes of a beckham, for me that is giving somethiong back to the real football fans and to the game.

If you were Beckham would you rather get kicked playing lower league for less $ or would you rather play in an attractive league living in California earning still good $ while improving a newish league in the world of football :wink:

The crazy part is how the DP's - Designated Players - teams can have x3 each if they wish are on big $ while some players earn $32,000 in a year!

I am not saying the SPL should follow this model just there are possibilities to improve the league if the Old Firm / SFA would allow it - but can't see it happening any time soon = Scottish Football is slowly dying :grr:

Part/Time Supporter
09-05-2011, 02:33 PM
A bit easier to implement that in the US, where a footballer has nowhere else to go unless he meets the work permit criteria for other countries (ie if he's a US international) or has a European parent or grandparent.

If you brought in (say) a £750 pw wage cap in the SPL you would just drive more players down to England (at lower levels).

one day maybe...
09-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Scottish Football is slowly dying :grr:

With that statement I agree.. :agree:

GreenCastle
09-05-2011, 02:39 PM
A bit easier to implement that in the US, where a footballer has nowhere else to go unless he meets the work permit criteria for other countries (ie if he's a US international) or has a European parent or grandparent.

If you brought in (say) a £750 pw wage cap in the SPL you would just drive more players down to England (at lower levels).

Work permits apply for most countries around the world :confused:

As it stands there are many US players playing in Europe and other parts of the world - some like Landon Donovan have stayed in the MLS which is great for the league.

The main problem in Scotland is Rangers and Celtic and their victim of their own success - making it a league which hasn't been won by anyone else for the last 26 years :rolleyes:

magnificent_seven
09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Actually though Beckham would be on more than that! That's only £65k a week, half what he was on at Madrid!

DC_Hibs
09-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Actually though Beckham would be on more than that! That's only £65k a week, half what he was on at Madrid!

His wages are a mere fraction of it

"The Galaxy, citing industry experts, said the L.A. deal is worth more than $250 million (128 million pounds) in salary and commercial endorsements -- about $1 million a week -- and is "thought to be the biggest in sporting history."

JE89
09-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Anyone notice Rocastle scooping up $110,000 per year?

Pretty Boy
09-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Always interesting reading to see what each player in the league is earning - Beckham / Henry etc

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/May%201,%202011%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

I have said it before and I will say it again I think the MLS is a better standard than the SPL.

Newer structure - better stadium facilities - organized fan groups without all the Old Firm baggage - standard of players improving every year.

It's everything the SPL should be aiming for but sadly the SPL is stuck in it's ways and won't improve or be more competitive till they make some big changes.

There is also some amazing talent coming through the youth systems for many of the teams Academies - which is a new thing as traditionally in US sports you do college then go pro.

As someone who follows the MLS, how much of the improvement and growing popularity of 'soccer' in the USA would you put down to the Beckham factor?

The reason i ask is i have 2 friends from the US who have widely differing views on this. One firmly believes Beckham has had a massive impact and has made soccer cool and fashionable amongst youngsters. He assures me that pitches are full every weekend now with kids desperate to play although he accepts the popularity was growing steadily pre Beckham and he was the catalyst to send it into overdrive. The other says that after the initial excitement of Beckham arriving crowds dropped away again (although i think the data available contradicts this) and he argues soccer is still very much a minority, middle class sport and most regular Americans hardly know who David Beckham is.

Just curious as to how you see it.

LamontHFC©
10-05-2011, 12:07 AM
As someone who follows the MLS, how much of the improvement and growing popularity of 'soccer' in the USA would you put down to the Beckham factor?

The reason i ask is i have 2 friends from the US who have widely differing views on this. One firmly believes Beckham has had a massive impact and has made soccer cool and fashionable amongst youngsters. He assures me that pitches are full every weekend now with kids desperate to play although he accepts the popularity was growing steadily pre Beckham and he was the catalyst to send it into overdrive. The other says that after the initial excitement of Beckham arriving crowds dropped away again (although i think the data available contradicts this) and he argues soccer is still very much a minority, middle class sport and most regular Americans hardly know who David Beckham is.

Just curious as to how you see it.

I live in America, playing college 'soccer', as these Yankidoodles love to call it.

The way I see it is that the MLS is so much more professional, neater and just better run league than the SPL. The crowds are gradually increasing, and more and more people are becoming interested in it. For example, a team like the Seattle Sounders have the second highest crowd average in the league, and their fans would sing every SPL club (and many EPL clubs too mind) under the table.
I believe this is, not soley, but a huge part down to David Beckham. He is so popular and well liked everywhere he goes, and as you said, 'cool'. How can anyone not like David Beckham who despite being one of the most famous sportsman in the world. He is so humble and takes time to help so many different people and this includes young kids just learning how to play 'soccer' over here. This kind of exposure and time from such a professional player and man, is invaluable. Maybe a few of our 'stars' could learn a thing or two from him.

I believe the standard isn't great, not sure whether it is better than the SPL or not to be honest, but when you watch someone like Beckham (or Henry) play, they just stroll through a game. Beckham sits in the centre and pings balls left right and centre, all day long. A joy to watch.
The defending in the MLS, as a whole, isn't great I don't think, which makes people like Becks and Henry (and even Juan Pablo Angel) look class.

Just my take on it. :greengrin

Ritchie
10-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Anyone notice Rocastle scooping up $110,000 per year?

So he should be.... Quality player :wink:

Played the matty jack role perfectly during his short spell at ER.

cheltenhamhibee
10-05-2011, 09:03 AM
nice to see Alan Gordon still picking up a decent wee wage, will he come back wi Ivan ? lol

MyJo
10-05-2011, 09:28 AM

It goes much deeper than just a wage cap in MLS as all the players are actually "owned" by the league rather than the teams themselves and the teams are "franchises" that are allocated players by the league.

MLS negotiates thier contracts & pays their wages while revenue that is generated within the league is shared amongst all the teams. Im not 100% sure if they have prize money that gets given out for league positions.