PDA

View Full Version : c olin stein,

Hibiza
09-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Colin Stein , signed from Armadale thistle . we gave them a set of strips and a few balls. bigots sent them back.:confused:

Wembley67
09-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Love random posts such as this :top marks

Cabbage East
09-05-2011, 12:52 PM
They were the wrong colour.

Sudds_1
09-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Now....how does the old song go?

Colin Colin Colin Stein,
Biggest fud, you ever seen,
A hundred thousand down the drain,
Yer better off wi Una Maclean,

Una Una Una.......

JimBHibees
09-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Now....how does the old song go?

Colin Colin Colin Stein,
Biggest fud, you ever seen,
A hundred thousand down the drain,
Yer better off wi Una Maclean,

Una Una Una.......

Was it not

Coin Stein, superstar
he walks like a woman and
he wears a bra. :greengrin

Sudds_1
09-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Was it not

Coin Stein, superstar

yep.that was sung often as well :greengrin

brog
09-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Was it not

Coin Stein, superstar

That was the original Bobby Moore song to be replaced after the 1970 World Cup with,
Where's your bracelet, where's your bracelet, where's your bracelet Bobby Moore?
it's in your handbag etc etc.

Mind you Bobby usually had the last laugh!!

erin go bragh
09-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Colin Stein , signed from Armadale thistle . we gave them a set of strips and a few balls. bigots sent them back.:confused:
Armadale eh, was a story in the papers about all the green lights[traffic lights] getting smashed by the locals because they were green .
ggtth

cabbageandribs1875
09-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Armadale eh, was a story in the papers about all the green lights[traffic lights] getting smashed by the locals because they were green .
ggtth

that was larkhall :agree: anyway, the dale also gave us one of our greatest ever forwards :wink:

lapsedhibee
09-05-2011, 04:19 PM
the dale also gave us one of our greatest ever forwards :wink:

Colin Stein was probably one of our greatest ever forwards. :wink: Heart was in the wrong place but IIRC he played really well for us, for not long enough.

cabbageandribs1875
09-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Colin Stein was probably one of our greatest ever forwards. :wink: Heart was in the wrong place but IIRC he played really well for us, for not long enough.

joe baker was a tad more prolific :wink: but i believe colin stein was/is a rather handy bowler :agree:

iwasthere1972
09-05-2011, 04:35 PM
£100,000 in 1968 was a helluva lot of money when you consider that the average house price in the UK at that time was £4.3K. The equivalent of 23 houses which going by today's average house prices would put his transfer fee in the region of £5 million.

I was gutted when he left as I had just learnt the words to Colin Colin Colin Stein.

greenginger
09-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I have a hazy recollection of Colin Stein's first game for Hibs. A game towards the end of season in about 1966. Also making his debut was another forward Colin Grant I think.

Anyway it was a win for Hibs and my dad asked what I thought of the new boys I said Grant would definitely make the grade but Stein would never be good enough and should be sent back to the Juniors.

I don't know what happened to Grant, but I gave up offering opinions on new young players on evidence of one game ! :wink:

ancient hibee
09-05-2011, 06:21 PM
I have a hazy recollection of Colin Stein's first game for Hibs. A game towards the end of season in about 1966. Also making his debut was another forward Colin Grant I think.

Anyway it was a win for Hibs and my dad asked what I thought of the new boys I said Grant would definitely make the grade but Stein would never be good enough and should be sent back to the Juniors.

I don't know what happened to Grant, but I gave up offering opinions on new young players on evidence of one game ! :wink:
You're right-Colin Grant was signed from Linlithgow and was considered a top rate capture -his junior career was much better than Stein's.However I think he had a terrible time with knee injuries and just faded out.

JimBHibees
10-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Stein was my first ever Hibs hero, vaguely remember him running around, scoring goals and being very aggressive in the days when players could kick whatever they wanted. Might be my mind playing tricks with me but think I remember him standing in front of a goalie (Killie springs to mind) trying to stop him kicking the ball out. They obviously then had some sort of verbal joust and the next second Stein has punched him in the face sending the goalie flying. The ref calmly comes over and tells him not to do it again. Classic. :greengrin

Golden Bear
10-05-2011, 09:55 AM
£100,000 in 1968 was a helluva lot of money when you consider that the average house price in the UK at that time was £4.3K. The equivalent of 23 houses which going by today's average house prices would put his transfer fee in the region of £5 million.

I was gutted when he left as I had just learnt the words to Colin Colin Colin Stein.

:agree:

I think I'm right in saying that the £100,000 transfer fee was a record between Scottish Clubs.

Another first for the Hibees!

The Harp
10-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Yeah, Stein and Grant both signed for Hibs in '65. The latter was regarded as a much better prospect by those in the know at the time (I wasn't one of them:wink:). Undoubtedly Grant's injury problems badly affected his professional career. He required two cartilage operations close together and although he was at ER a lot longer than Stein, he didn't have the same impact and didn't have many first team games before returning to junior football.
Other names from the past who promised a lot but delivered little IMHO would be Mark McGraw and Billy Findlay.

kenshrek
10-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Which Scottuish Junior Club supplied future centre forwards for both Scotland and England?

iwasthere1972
10-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Which Scottuish Junior Club supplied future centre forwards for both Scotland and England?

Armadale Thistle.

Joe Baker
Colin Stein
George Farm