PDA

View Full Version : Who would you build the team around next season?

matty_f
08-05-2011, 06:34 PM
As we now have a better idea of who will still be at the club next season, who woud you consider to be your key players from the current side, and which players would you build the team around?

Just now, I'd go for:

Stack (if still here)
*new right back - will include Towell as a new right back if we sign him.
new CH
Hanlon
Booth
Scott
Thornhill
Pallson
*new left mid
Sodje
*new striker

As it looks likely that Ivan will be coming back, then he can go into the midfield which with a bit of shuffling around should take care of the left mid position, especially as we have Galbraith next season too.

Means we need, at least (IMHO)

A new right back
A new centre half
A new midfielder
A new striker.

Which is probably about the number of signings CC will be hoping to make in the summer.

SRHibs
08-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Would launch Sodje and keep Vaz Te.

matty_f
08-05-2011, 06:40 PM

I've been pretty disappointed with Vaz Te, to be honest. Thought he looked good against Bohemians but hasn't really looked that great since.

Hamish
08-05-2011, 06:44 PM
McNamara, Stanton and Reilly as the spine.

Hibs Class
08-05-2011, 06:46 PM

Sodje looks ungainly but he does score goals. I'd like Vaz Te to stick around but cannot imagine why we'd be aiming to launch Sodje?

SRHibs
08-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Sodje looks ungainly but he does score goals. I'd like Vaz Te to stick around but cannot imagine why we'd be aiming to launch Sodje?

Because in terms of actual ability, Sodje is pish - his passing, control, pace etc etc. He might've scored a few goals, but I still think we can do a lot better than him.

Vaz Te was our only decent player on Saturday IMO. Has some pace, is willing to take a man on, can spot a pass and is generally decent with the ball at his feet. His work ethic was good also on Saturday.

Mon Dieu4
08-05-2011, 06:52 PM
I still think we are crying out for a creative player in the same mould as Zemmama, we are still trying to go too long or side to side too much, a midfielder who can pick up the ball and can run past someone please

hibsbollah
08-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I still think we are crying out for a creative player in the same mould as Zemmama, we are still trying to go too long or side to side too much, a midfielder who can pick up the ball and can run past someone please

Spot on. At least one, possibly two creative attacking midfielders, a Taouil or Swanson would do me. Otherwise the OPs list is pretty good.

Mon Dieu4
08-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Spot on. At least one, possibly two creative attacking midfielders, a Taouil or Swanson would do me. Otherwise the OPs list is pretty good.

I was thinking more wee Lionel, to beat Maradona he too needs to take an average team to greatness :faf:

sahib
08-05-2011, 07:12 PM
As we now have a better idea of who will still be at the club next season, who woud you consider to be your key players from the current side, and which players would you build the team around?

Just now, I'd go for:

Stack (if still here)
new CH
Hanlon
Booth
Scott
Thornhill
Pallson
*new left mid
Sodje
*new striker

As it looks likely that Ivan will be coming back, then he can go into the midfield which with a bit of shuffling around should take care of the left mid position, especially as we have Galbraith next season too.

A new right back
A new centre half
A new midfielder
A new striker.

Which is probably about the number of signings CC will be hoping to make in the summer.

You are probably correct in your choices, but let's face it none of the current core are that great.

matty_f
08-05-2011, 07:19 PM
You are probably correct in your choices, but let's face it none of the current core are that great.

:agree: Can't really argue with that.

hibsbollah
08-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I was thinking more wee Lionel, to beat Maradona he too needs to take an average team to greatness :faf:

Aye, Lionel could do the unseen work in the engine room and let wee lewis and ian murray do all the silky dribbling and beating their man. The old firm would be trailing in our wake :-)

sambajustice
08-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Players we dont have yet!

Stevie Reid
08-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Would like to see a 4-4-2 with the following personnel: -

Stack

New RB (Towell or Hammill, probably prefer Hammill)
New CB
Hanlon
Booth

New RW
Palsson
Thornhill
Galbraith

Sodje
New CF

Dundee Utd and Hearts both are dangerous with two good wide men and a solid, industrious CM pairing - think Thornhill (if he lives up to CC's billing) and Palsson (if he can become the player he looked to be in his first couple of games) will offer us plenty battling and ball winning qualities in midfield, with Thornhill a goal threat who can arrive in the box late and get a share of goals.

CC obviously believes that Galbraith has a lot to offer and I think he can link up well with Booth. Would like to see someone as quick on the right hand side (Sproule would do), and would be happy if Hammill was to come in at RB. I don't want Scott or Wotherspoon to be starters next season but both can be very useful subs. However, if we were to have a five man midfield and no Liam Miller, I would like to see Wotherspoon given a chance in the attacking midfield role, think his trickery, close control and ability to shoot with both feet could be put to good use in there, he doesn't have the pace to play as a winger IMO.

Up front, would love to see someone who can form a partnership with Sodje (though I'd be happy if we had 2 completely new forwards starting), and feed off his flicks and headers - Riordan has been guilty of being miles off Sodje most of the time they've played together. I still think we need two more strikers even if Riordan stays and Sodje is a starter next season.

So that would mean: -

New RB (or two, happy if Towell and Hammill were both signed, both can play RB or midfield)
New CH
New RW/RM
2 new forwards

The budget should comfortably allow for 5 players of quality.

silverhibee
08-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Just now, I'd go for:

Stack (if still here)
new CH
Hanlon
Booth
Scott
Thornhill
Pallson
*new left mid
Sodje
*new striker

A new right back
A new centre half
A new midfielder
A new striker.

Right back. If not Towell could be Hart.
Centre half. Could do with two.
New midfielder. De Graff.
New striker. Vaz Te.

Hate to say it Matty but that team will only get us relagated next season.

matty_f
08-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Right back. If not Towell could be Hart.
Centre half. Could do with two.
New midfielder. De Graff.
New striker. Vaz Te.

Hate to say it Matty but that team will only get us relagated next season.

Depends who the others coming in are.

I know there has been talk about De Graff coming back, but I don't see it happening. I also think we'll see Hart exiting as well.
Not sure if Vaz Te will get a contract for next season, at the moment if the decision was mine I'd be looking elsewhere.

Wouldn't say that team would get us relegated with the right additions to it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I thought that Divis was our best player yesterday, and looks like he could help any middle two. With that in mind, I would go with Divis, Booth, Hanlon, A.N. Other (Stephens) and Towell. The forwards and midfield are harder to pin down,(apart from Palsson) but Thornhill will be like a new player .The rest is dependant on who leaves.

ancient hibee
08-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Considering the grounds are bare and hard Sodje has done pretty well given his lack of close ball control.Could turn into a really paying player on heavy grounds providing we can get players to get close to play off him.

Most urgent is a player to run the game-we don't have one on the books.

matty_f
08-05-2011, 07:47 PM
I thought that Divis was our best player yesterday, and looks like he could help any middle two. With that in mind, I would go with Divis, Booth, Hanlon, A.N. Other (Stephens) and Towell. The forwards and midfield are harder to pin down,(apart from Palsson) but Thornhill will be like a new player .The rest is dependant on who leaves.

Good point about Divis. I think he was unlucky with the goal and pulled off some really good saves in the game. :agree:

Franck is God
08-05-2011, 07:51 PM
CC likes a main man up front and wide players either side which is why he gave Galbraith a new deal, Spoony is well in his plans and obviously Ivan is too which means that he's probably looking for another player in the same mould as Sodje and another for the left side.

The midfield will be built around a central three, one sitting deep and a couple of ball players. The midfield three of Miller, Palsson and Thornhill was starting to look good until Thornhill got injured.

Brown is a very good keeper and Divis could be an able deputy. I could see Towell, Stephens, Hanlon and Booth being a very young but pretty decent first choice back four next season but we will need some experienced back up that can slot staight in when needed.

matty_f
08-05-2011, 07:53 PM
CC likes a main man up front and wide players either side which is why he gave Galbraith a new deal, Spoony is well in his plans and obviously Ivan is too which means that he's probably looking for another player in the same mould as Sodje and another for the left side.

The midfield will be built around a central three, one sitting deep and a couple of ball players. The midfield three of Miller, Palsson and Thornhill was starting to look good until Thornhill got injured.

Brown is a very good keeper and Divis could be an able deputy. I could see Towell, Stephens, Hanlon and Booth being a very young but pretty decent first choice back four next season but we will need some experienced back up that can slot staight in when needed.

If we go with that as a back four (and to be honest, I wouldn't have that many objections to it), then it's essential that the goalkeeper is right on top of them the whole game, being very vocal and taking responsibility for organising them.

Craig_in_Prague
08-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Hanlon, Booth, Towell and Thornhill.

Rest of side we need serious improvements.

Ed De Gramo
08-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Because in terms of actual ability, Sodje is pish - his passing, control, pace etc etc. He might've scored a few goals, but I still think we can do a lot better than him.

Vaz Te was our only decent player on Saturday IMO. Has some pace, is willing to take a man on, can spot a pass and is generally decent with the ball at his feet. His work ethic was good also on Saturday.

:bitchy:

aye alright then :rolleyes:

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Players we dont have yet!

This, Never seen a Hibs squad so bereft of any pace or flair.

silverhibee
08-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Depends who the others coming in are.

I know there has been talk about De Graff coming back, but I don't see it happening. I also think we'll see Hart exiting as well.
Not sure if Vaz Te will get a contract for next season, at the moment if the decision was mine I'd be looking elsewhere.
Wouldn't say that team would get us relegated with the right additions to it.

Me to Matty, but its not our decision is it, and i think Vaz Te will be a Hibs player next season, i thought he had a fairly decent game yesterday, if CC see's him making improvement in the next couple of games i think he will sign him up, and hope that with a full pre-season behind him his fitness will be a lot better and maybe see a better player next season, he has two games to convince CC he is worth a contract or not.
As for bringing in new additions over the summer, i can see only 3 players at most being brought in and i dont think they will be the kind of quality that wee fans want brought in, just my opinion.

IWasThere2016
08-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Just now, I'd go for:

Stack (if still here)
new CH
Hanlon
Booth
Scott
Thornhill
Pallson
*new left mid
Sodje
*new striker

A new right back
A new centre half
A new midfielder
A new striker.

4 is a minimum requirement eg we need more than 1 striker. Otherwise think you're not far away from what CC should be thinking.

stokesmessiah
08-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Me to Matty, but its not our decision is it, and i think Vaz Te will be a Hibs player next season, i thought he had a fairly decent game yesterday, if CC see's him making improvement in the next couple of games i think he will sign him up, and hope that with a full pre-season behind him his fitness will be a lot better and maybe see a better player next season, he has two games to convince CC he is worth a contract or not.
As for bringing in new additions over the summer, i can see only 3 players at most being brought in and i dont think they will be the kind of quality that wee fans want brought in, just my opinion.

You think we will only bring in 3 players all summer?? Thats more than a threadbare squad with all the scheduled and expected departures???

SRHibs
08-05-2011, 09:50 PM
:bitchy:

aye alright then :rolleyes:

Explain to me why he's good then instead of replying to me with dickish faces? Ok, his goalscoring record since he came has been ok, but technically, he's garbage. He's never been a prolific goalscorer, and I doubt this'll change next season. We need a proven goalscorer, and not a journeyman like Sodje. I'm thankful to him for helping keep us up, but I'm hoping he won't be at ER for much longer.

stokesmessiah
08-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Explain to me why he's good then instead of replying to me with dickish faces? Ok, his goalscoring record since he came has been ok, but technically, he's garbage. He's never been a prolific goalscorer, and I doubt this'll change next season. We need a proven goalscorer, and not a journeyman like Sodje. I'm thankful to him for helping keep us up, but I'm hoping he won't be at ER for much longer.

13 appearances for a club that was battling relegation and 6 goal return, what exactly do you want?? He might not be everyones cup of tea but we have not been setting up huge amounts of chances so to get that kind of return for me is prolific !?

P.s and no dickish faces

SRHibs
08-05-2011, 10:07 PM
13 appearances for a club that was battling relegation and 6 goal return, what exactly do you want?? He might not be everyones cup of tea but we have not been setting up huge amounts of chances so to get that kind of return for me is prolific !?

P.s and no dickish faces

We've created a lot of chances in the games he scored in. He's missed a few absolute sitters. Like I said, from what I've seen and going by his past goalscoring records, I don't think it'd be wise to keep him in the frame. You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine.

Not sure why you felt the need to edit in your sarcy little remark. If someone's going to reply to me with nothing but dismissive emoticons, then I'm entitled to want elaboration from them.

BEEJ
08-05-2011, 10:16 PM
You think we will only bring in 3 players all summer?? Thats more than a threadbare squad with all the scheduled and expected departures???
CC stated his intention of having a squad of around 20 players next season. Assume we stretch that to 22.

Nineteen players currently in the first team pool. Possibly two or three more to remain from the seven whose futures currently remain uncertain. Maybe another U-19 will be given promotion to the full squad in the close season. So that gives us, say, 22 players.

At least three of the younger players (Smith, Horner, Crawford etc) could be loaned out next season. That brings it back down to nineteen.

So three new players seems about right - assuming the club holds to its recent policy of not paying off player's contracts early. If the likes of De Graaf does move on then CC will have more room for manoeuvre in terms of bringing new players in.

stokesmessiah
08-05-2011, 10:20 PM
We've created a lot of chances in the games he scored in. He's missed a few absolute sitters. Like I said, from what I've seen and going by his past goalscoring records, I don't think it'd be wise to keep him in the frame. You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine.

Not sure why you felt the need to edit in your sarcy little remark. If someone's going to reply to me with nothing but dismissive emoticons, then I'm entitled to want elaboration from them.

Wow you are very defensive....!!!

The point i was trying to make is tell me who the last person we had with that kind of ratio???

McD
08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Really hope Sean Welsh gets a chance, he could offer backup/replacement/partner for Palsson. The laddie has got real talent, has been unlucky with injuries but could do a job as part of the squad. Would rather him than some random no-mark brought in :)

SRHibs
08-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Wow you are very defensive....!!!

The point i was trying to make is tell me who the last person we had with that kind of ratio???

He's only played 13 games, lmao. Even Colin Nish had periods like that where he could be considered prolific. Maybe that should mean Sodje is deserving of a chance, but I just don't think he's of the standard we should have in our first team.

stokesmessiah
08-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Also, what is the hang up ppl have on here with peoples past records?? Surely as long as they are doing the job whilst in a Hibs shirt thats what matters??

stokesmessiah
08-05-2011, 10:25 PM
He's only played 13 games, lmao. Even Colin Nish had periods like that where he could be considered prolific. Maybe that should mean that Sodje is deserving of a chance, but I just don't think he's at the standard that we should be looking at.

whilst your laughing it off you failed to answer the question??? Who last had that ratio??

You seem to be getting the hump for no reason, the simple point i am making is since he joined he has an average of one every 2 games (or thereabouts) that doesnt mean i think he is the new Pele it does mean that if he keeps going at that rate i would not be keen on taking him out the team and neither would CC?????

BEEJ
08-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Really hope Sean Welsh gets a chance, he could offer backup/replacement/partner for Palsson. The laddie has got real talent, has been unlucky with injuries but could do a job as part of the squad. Would rather him than some random no-mark brought in :)
:agree: Agreed.

I hope his loan spell at Stirling has done enough for CC and DA to find room for him in the squad.

SRHibs
08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
whilst your laughing it off you failed to answer the question??? Who last had that ratio??

You seem to be getting the hump for no reason, the simple point i am making is since he joined he has an average of one every 2 games (or thereabouts) that doesnt mean i think he is the new Pele it does mean that if he keeps going at that rate i would not be keen on taking him out the team and neither would CC?????

I'm getting in no 'hump'. :confused:

I can't answer the question for you, but I'd imagine that there's no shortage of players who've started out with good scoring records but failed to maintain it, and as we can see from his previous, the chances of him maintaining his current ratio are slim. Hence why I'd rather get in a proven goalscorer. Ok, fine, he's got this good ratio at the moment. But do you really think it's wise - for next season - to put our faith in a player like Sodje? It's not just the goals anyway. Sodje has poor passing and control, a noticeable lack of pace, and his all round technical ability just isn't great.

I'd be ok with keeping him as back-up, but if we have hopes of finishing in the top 4 next season, then I fear we'll need better than Sodje in our team.

Perspective
08-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Hanlon and Booth are the only two in the current team I rate. Both have flaws but I think, essentially, they're quality.

Still have hopes for Wotherspoon, Palsson and potentially Stephens.

Other than that I admire Sodje's attitude. Whatever anyone thinks of him, he more than any other probably helped ensure we avoided going down. I'd like to think we could find a more polished version of him, but if not he'll do as the target man.

So that leaves... (4-5-1 turning into 4-3-3)

New keeper (don't rate any on the books, exempting Divis who I haven't seen enough of yet)
Booth
Hanlon
New centre-back (battle-hardened, experienced, vocal pro able to lead by example)
New right-back (think we can do better than Towell, must be pacey and comfortable on the ball)
Palsson
New midfield destroyer to play alongside Palsson
New creative midfielder to play in front of Palsson/other new midfielder
New midfielder/striker (must be quick)
Sodje/upgrade
Wotherspoon

yekimevol
08-05-2011, 11:14 PM
gk stack - but a FULL cheak on his back before we give him a new contract

lb booth
cb hanlon
cb - new - 6,2 plus great in air defender
rb towell - depending on price tag

lm - danny galbraith
cm - palson / jimmy scott
cm - new playmaker someone with vison i.e. a new boozy. (believe spoony could do this role be with the right mentor)
rm - wortherspoon / sproule

st- sodje
st - new - poucher type of player. (would love to say derek but not seeing the hunger or desire of what he used to)
:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

BT58
09-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Miller stating in press that hes had talks with CC
about staying( oh dear smiley)
Brown,Booth,Palsson would be the 3 i would build round
2new CH,s
Rb
At least 2pacey midfielders
3 new strikers
CC has a BIG task on his hands!!!!!

Elephant Stone
09-05-2011, 06:56 AM

P.s and no dickish faces

He's been scoring against poor teams and he will have to prove himself in proper games, he was horrific in the derby. I'm definitely willing to give him time but I don't think anyone should be convinced at the moment.

Sevenil73
09-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Would like to see a 4-4-2 with the following personnel: -

Stack

New RB (Towell or Hammill, probably prefer Hammill)
New CB
Hanlon
Booth

New RW
Palsson
Thornhill
Galbraith

Sodje
New CF

Dundee Utd and Hearts both are dangerous with two good wide men and a solid, industrious CM pairing - think Thornhill (if he lives up to CC's billing) and Palsson (if he can become the player he looked to be in his first couple of games) will offer us plenty battling and ball winning qualities in midfield, with Thornhill a goal threat who can arrive in the box late and get a share of goals.

CC obviously believes that Galbraith has a lot to offer and I think he can link up well with Booth. Would like to see someone as quick on the right hand side (Sproule would do), and would be happy if Hammill was to come in at RB. I don't want Scott or Wotherspoon to be starters next season but both can be very useful subs. However, if we were to have a five man midfield and no Liam Miller, I would like to see Wotherspoon given a chance in the attacking midfield role, think his trickery, close control and ability to shoot with both feet could be put to good use in there, he doesn't have the pace to play as a winger IMO.

Up front, would love to see someone who can form a partnership with Sodje (though I'd be happy if we had 2 completely new forwards starting), and feed off his flicks and headers - Riordan has been guilty of being miles off Sodje most of the time they've played together. I still think we need two more strikers even if Riordan stays and Sodje is a starter next season.

So that would mean: -

New RB (or two, happy if Towell and Hammill were both signed, both can play RB or midfield)
New CH
New RW/RM
2 new forwards

The budget should comfortably allow for 5 players of quality.

I think thats a good wee yeam depending on new arrivals of course , I hear Arron Lennons unsettled????????

JimBHibees
09-05-2011, 10:17 AM
I've been pretty disappointed with Vaz Te, to be honest. Thought he looked good against Bohemians but hasn't really looked that great since.

Agree I would do the opposite, keep Sodje and punt Vaz Te.

stokesmessiah
09-05-2011, 10:37 AM
He's been scoring against poor teams and he will have to prove himself in proper games, he was horrific in the derby. I'm definitely willing to give him time but I don't think anyone should be convinced at the moment.

Welcome to the SPL !!!

Apart from the Ugly sisters who have proved (annoyingly) that they are still better teams than us, you are going to be playing against bog standard teams. If Sodje wants to score 25 a season against everyone bar the OF i would be happy with that???

Stevie Reid
09-05-2011, 03:39 PM

I thought we could get in some quality but this suggets that you may be right (though not writing him off and I know it's just a story linking us with him): -

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-keep-close-eye-on.6765333.jp