PDA

View Full Version : Steven Fletcher

since90plustwo
08-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Brilliant to see one of our own doing well in the prem!! grabbed a double today, and scored some important goals for them recently!! Most talented out the ''golden generation'' imo. gone yersel fletch!!!!
:flag:

Westie1875
08-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Brilliant to see one of our own doing well in the prem!! grabbed a double today, and scored some important goals for them recently!! Most talented out the ''golden generation'' imo. gone yersel fletch!!!!
:flag:

Absolutely IMO, just a shame Levein seems to have fallen out with him as he should really be Scotland's first choice striker by now too.

Lofarl
08-05-2011, 12:59 PM
He was immense today. If Wolves stay up, it may well be because of Fletcher.

Col2
08-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Absolutely IMO, just a shame Levein seems to have fallen out with him as he should really be Scotland's first choice striker by now too.

Wonder what Harry Potter thinks now... He is playing at a higher level than any other strikers Scotland have and has scored 4 in 5 games so on fire. Still hr has the ever mobile Kevin Kyle to come back shortly.

Thought SF was superb today, not just his goals but he won loads in the air and chased down everything, clearly a big favourite with the Wolves fans. MOM by a mile.

macca70
08-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I think the most significant point and reason I have a lot more respect for Fletch is that he decided to show a bit ambition and go down south rather than take the easy option and go west to 1 of the bigot brothers.

LancashireHibby
08-05-2011, 01:06 PM
And to think he used to get a ton of stick on here on an almost weekly basis!

Wotherspiniesta
08-05-2011, 01:08 PM
2nd season in a row he's reached double digits in the best league in the world.

Levein: "Steven Fletcher hasn't put in a performance which makes me think I can hang my hat on him"

Hearts prick :agree:

Frazerbob
08-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Was it not Fletch who told Potter (by text via another SFA staff member) that he did not want to be considered for selection?

Moulin Yarns
08-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Was it not Fletch who told Potter (by text via another SFA staff member) that he did not want to be considered for selection?

for a meaningless friendly when Wolves had important games IIRC

H18sry
08-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Just for the NI fixture:agree:

Westie1875
08-05-2011, 01:12 PM

For one game apparently, not forever. If it was by text I agree it was a silly thing to do, but to then not select him in the future and come out with some of the stuff he has in the press is petty IMO and not what I want to see from the national team manager.

Hibeesb0unc3
08-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Always good to see one of our own players doing well in the prem. I thought last season he done really well to score in double figures for a relegated team and good to see him score in double figures again this season:thumbsup:

The Falcon
08-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I think the most significant point and reason I have a lot more respect for Fletch is that he decided to show a bit ambition and go down south rather than take the easy option and go west to 1 of the bigot brothers.

Fletch was very, VERY miffed when Petrie couldnt/wouldnt agree a deal with Celtic after they made it clear they wanted him. Miffed dosent really cover it.

However after a short spell of huffiness (and a "gentleman's agreement" with Rod) he knuckled down again and got a move to England.

I agree with the OP in that he is proving to be one of the best of a what was a good, but ultimately dissapointing, crop.

Frazerbob
08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
For one game apparently, not forever. If it was by text I agree it was a silly thing to do, but to then not select him in the future and come out with some of the stuff he has in the press is petty IMO and not what I want to see from the national team manager.

Fletch was wrong to do what he did and especially how he did it. You don't pick and choose when you play for your country. It should be a privilage, even to come on as a sub in the final minute or be an un-used squad member.

Levein is an erse and has made a mockery of the Scotland team with the tactics in Lithuania nad Czech republic.

Both have made mistakes, however Fletch needs to grow a set and appologise, for his own sake and the national side's sake.

Winston Ingram
08-05-2011, 04:14 PM
9 goals he's got this season which is amazing considering he's not been a regular starter:agree:

Iggy Pope
08-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Fletch was wrong to do what he did and especially how he did it. You don't pick and choose when you play for your country. It should be a privilage, even to come on as a sub in the final minute or be an un-used squad member.Levein is an erse and has made a mockery of the Scotland team with the tactics in Lithuania nad Czech republic.

Both have made mistakes, however Fletch needs to grow a set and appologise, for his own sake and the national side's sake.

Maybe in years gone by, but certainly not now. Wolves pay his wages. Playing for Scotland does SFA for him (or his career)
Standing ovation frm the Wolves fans and his name being sung as he went off the pitch should tell him where his loyalties lie.

moredun
08-05-2011, 04:32 PM
9 goals he's got this season which is amazing considering he's not been a regular starter:agree:

Im sure he was on 9 goals before todays game tbh mate

sesoim
08-05-2011, 04:36 PM
No offence to the OP, but does somebody have to start a thread EVERY time Fletcher scores a goal?

sesoim
08-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Well we kept on hearing about him being a £3M player, but he didn't exactly PLAY like a £3M player when he was missing sitters, using his wrong foot in front of open goals, giving the ball away trying to be fancy etc.

He's doing well for himself, but he wasn't great for Hibs. We got good money because of his potential, rather than because of all the games he was winning for us.

Keith_M
08-05-2011, 04:43 PM
But can he kick with his right foot yet?

:rolleyes:

Winston Ingram
08-05-2011, 04:48 PM
No offence to the OP, but does somebody have to start a thread EVERY time Fletcher scores a goal?

Saying he's got 9 goals then I can live with 9 threads over a season.

The fact that he scored 2 in derby and set up the other in a massive game for his club and also played brilliantly and got MotM then I think in fairness to the OP I think the thread is more than fair

Winston Ingram
08-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Im sure he was on 9 goals before todays game tbh mate

I stand corrected. He has 11:agree:

Wotherspiniesta
08-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Well we kept on hearing about him being a £3M player, but he didn't exactly PLAY like a £3M player when he was missing sitters, using his wrong foot in front of open goals, giving the ball away trying to be fancy etc.

He's doing well for himself, but he wasn't great for Hibs. We got good money because of his potential, rather than because of all the games he was winning for us.

Absolute pish :agree:

matty_f
08-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Absolute pish :agree:

Correct.:agree:

Kaiser1962
08-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Correct.:agree:

and verified :agree:

Bishop Hibee
08-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Proof that there are some absolute spangles who post on here.

F
I agree with the OP in that he is proving to be one of the best of a what was a good, but ultimately dissapointing, crop.

Don't agree. Whittaker and Brown are in the prime of their careers, playing for their country, winning medals and with the ability to play in the EPL no bother. Boro fans like Thomshun when he's fit. O'Connor won a Russian Cup winners medal and would be playing in the EPL if he wasn't so injury prone. Riordan is our greatest goalscorer in the last 25 years.

What is your definition of disappointing? Not getting in Barca's first team :rolleyes:

Cocaine&Caviar
08-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Don't agree. Whittaker and Brown are in the prime of their careers, playing for their country, winning medals and with the ability to play in the EPL no bother. Boro fans like Thomshun when he's fit. O'Connor won a Russian Cup winners medal and would be playing in the EPL if he wasn't so injury prone. Riordan is our greatest goalscorer in the last 25 years.

What is your definition of disappointing? Not getting in Barca's first team :rolleyes:

I'd say disapointing in terms of the potential they were showing at the time. For me, Brown has stagnated, and not developed as I would have hoped, he may be a more all round midfield player, but has lost that spark and drive from the middle.

Mon Dieu4
08-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Proof that there are some absolute spangles who post on here.

I hate to say anything complimentary about the guy, but if it wasnt for the bad injuries he had, then for me he would have been the pick of the bunch, shame that a cruciate injury can effect your mental state in such a way to get Willie McKay as a agent :faf:

Cocaine&Caviar
08-05-2011, 07:46 PM
http://www.the-wolf.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=54094

going nuts over him on there.

rubber mal
08-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Fletch was wrong to do what he did and especially how he did it. You don't pick and choose when you play for your country. It should be a privilage, even to come on as a sub in the final minute or be an un-used squad member.

Levein is an erse and has made a mockery of the Scotland team with the tactics in Lithuania nad Czech republic.

Absolutely.

I think SF first went into a huff because of 'that formation' against Czech Republic, and subsequently ruled himself out of the following game. Understandable, yes (as Potter's tactics were an absolute disgrace), but he should've just got his head down and got on with it. If CL had decided to play a striker, at that time it would have been Miller, who was in the form of his life.

Regardless of any 'anti-Hibs' theories regarding CL, it should be remembered that until six weeks ago SF had only started a handful of league games (8 I think) for a team at the wrong end of the table.

Now he's starting to hold down a place in the team and prove his worth, and I really hope we see him back in a Scotland jersey soon, even if that fud is still in charge.

Speedway
09-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Yet he was a one footed, unfulfilled promise and limited striker at Hibs.

Funny how all they get a lot better when they play for someone else.

The Falcon
09-05-2011, 06:17 AM

A matter of opinion BH. I expected SB, in particular, to have gone on to be one of the great players but, while playing and captaining Celtic is a success I somehow expected more from him. Had he gone to Spurs, or away from Scotland sadly, I believe he would be more accomplished. Still got that daft laddie streak which going to Glasgow, and the paranoid part at that, hasnt helped that.

Whittaker is, at times, a bit suspect and people are still not sure what his best position is. Collins thought he had "quick feet" but little else. Both play for Scotland but that is hardly a ringing endorsement of ability.

GOC would be playing for an EPL club BUT for injuries? Is that not dissapointing?
Again I expected GOC to be in the running to be Scotland's first choice striker about this stage in his career. Yes he won a cup winners medal you could argue so did Andy McNeil.

Thomson, again opinions, but my Boro mate tells me that he's good "at times" but they arent often enough. And he does stupid things and comes of second best. Thinks he's Souness apparently but where Souness was the one walking away from callenges Thomson is left in a heap with, quite frequently it seems, a broken leg.

Riordan has excellent ability but perhaps he's also more suited to a different type of game. He has, by his high standards, not had the greatest of season's.

I am not deriding those players named, far from it, as I would have them in a Hibs team again in a heartbeat, even Thomson, but, while maybe not Barca, I expected that they would be in championship challenging sides in some of the top leagues, yes.

Opinions eh :rolleyes:

bighairyfaeleith
09-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Absolutely.

I think SF first went into a huff because of 'that formation' against Czech Republic, and subsequently ruled himself out of the following game. Understandable, yes (as Potter's tactics were an absolute disgrace), but he should've just got his head down and got on with it. If CL had decided to play a striker, at that time it would have been Miller, who was in the form of his life.

Regardless of any 'anti-Hibs' theories regarding CL, it should be remembered that until six weeks ago SF had only started a handful of league games (8 I think) for a team at the wrong end of the table.

Now he's starting to hold down a place in the team and prove his worth, and I really hope we see him back in a Scotland jersey soon, even if that fud is still in charge.

Was it not the case that fletcher got a text from someone in the coaching setup for scotland saying he was in and so he replied by text saying he didn't want to play in this one game and was available if levein wanted to talk to him, levein never did make the call.

Now fletcher should have still called it in, but if you can notify a player he is in the squad by text then you are setting the rules there and then.

If I was fletch I would be pissing myself laughing at levein when he does eventually make the call, which given the standard of our squad he will have to soon.

JimBHibees
09-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Was it not the case that fletcher got a text from someone in the coaching setup for scotland saying he was in and so he replied by text saying he didn't want to play in this one game and was available if levein wanted to talk to him, levein never did make the call.

Now fletcher should have still called it in, but if you can notify a player he is in the squad by text then you are setting the rules there and then.

If I was fletch I would be pissing myself laughing at levein when he does eventually make the call, which given the standard of our squad he will have to soon.

Fletcher was apparently in the stand in the Czech game without any explanation and then made some comment after the game, not the smartest IMO however we are so lacking up front that Levein should have been sorting out any apparent fall out. Given that he know doubt has an arrangement with OF managers for some of their players to pick and choose some of the friendlies it is a bit rich when a player wants to do the same. Another factor for me is the shameless way that Levein has tried to get some other players back in the squad who no doubt acted 100 times worse than Fletch. Both should grow up bite the bullet and sort it out prior to the next competitive game as we desperately need him.

Sevenil73
09-05-2011, 10:13 AM
http://www.the-wolf.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=54094

going nuts over him on there.

Rightly so

since90plustwo
09-05-2011, 10:25 PM

not spoke about him before, just been tracking him and delighted to see him doing well in the best league in the world