PDA

View Full Version : next season

eastmainsmsh
07-05-2011, 04:09 PM
After todays dire performance thoughts of Squad and ambition does anyone feel positive about CC and his signings to date ....The board has to come up with something pretty soon as That today was an absolute disgrace feel sorry for all the genuine fans who fork out hard earned money ...Hopefully Calderwood Can come up with the goods as the players were dire

cabbageandribs1875
07-05-2011, 04:13 PM
my doubts increased even more after the contract extension of that big strappin laddie lewis stevenson, but he has a big heart tho

Biggie
07-05-2011, 04:16 PM
After todays dire performance thoughts of Squad and ambition does anyone feel positive about CC and his signings to date ....The board has to come up with something pretty soon as That today was an absolute disgrace feel sorry for all the genuine fans who fork out hard earned money ...Hopefully Calderwood Can come up with the goods as the players were dire

Yep, seriously concerned about a) the squad, b) CC and his ability to motivate....the players downed tools a while ago and some of the results have simply not been good enough. I don't care they've got their holidays up in a week or so, I want them to bust their balls for the strip every week someone pays to watch them play....

Too many simply haven't got it, and I'm not sure CC has it in him either...we need majpr surgery

truehibernian
07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Unless we sign sheer pace, width and two centre backs with genuine leadership skills, next season will be long and similarly painful.

The thought of Sproule coming back is certainly not inspiring, and we lack so much drive in the side it's glaringly obvious to everyone other than those within the club. Quite bizarre.

Any team that plays with pace and width, which incidentally is most SPL clubs, wil easily beat our side. Too slow, too considered, too ponderous, little impact, drive or excitement. Penalty box poacher too please......when chances fall to young Lewis in the box you just know your head will be in your hands soon after.

ancient hibee
07-05-2011, 04:24 PM
As only 4 of his signings(and 2 of them are on trial)started the game it's pretty obvious where the fault lies.

SloopJB
07-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I think Colin Calderwood recognised that the squad of players at his diposal were not capable for whatever reason of avoiding relegation. He was able to bring in players during the January transfer windoe, a time it is acknowledged when it is difficult to sign players of quality.
Those he brought in done the job required, we avoided relegation.
Next he had to clear players out, job done.
Next he has to build a new squad capable of a top six finish next season.

He's doing ok and I hope that continues into next season.

BEEJ
07-05-2011, 05:07 PM
my doubts increased even more after the contract extension of that big strappin laddie lewis stevenson, but he has a big heart tho
I actually thought Lewis did OK today. One loose pass in the opening minutes and after that a fairly solid performance.

However, the club should instantly take that offer that's apparently been given to Miller and rip it up. What a huge disappointment he is. And I really hope we haven't tried to entice Dickoh to stay on for another season.

Andy74
07-05-2011, 05:34 PM
As only 4 of his signings(and 2 of them are on trial)started the game it's pretty obvious where the fault lies.

Where?

GloriousHibs
07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Have you listened to CC's post match interview? Hardly a hint of disappointment despite a loss to a club who before today hadn't won at home all season. He even makes mention of ' pleasing elements' to our game.

WTF, i've just renewed for next year and it seems to me that these types of results are becoming acceptable to our once great club. End of season stuff blah blah, players with one eye on holidays.

They take our season ticket money which reflects OF season levels yet they have no concern for any form of positive mentality to drive out results so often associated with the ugly sisters. Charge the prices, the dafties will come because they love the Hibs and that's what they always have done. Well I'm ***** sick of it.

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2011, 05:44 PM
We have missed Matty Thornhill alot in recent weeks. Not the only reason when have been terrible but has been a big loss IMO.

Dashing Bob S
07-05-2011, 05:47 PM
On the evidence of the results under his tenure, with two Hibs sides, CC is shaping up to be the worst in a long line of poor Hibs managers.

Lets hope we bring in some talent and passion next season. Another season like this one and we're in a real mess.

sahib
07-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Have you listened to CC's post match interview? Hardly a hint of disappointment despite a loss to a club who before today hadn't won at home all season. He even makes mention of ' pleasing elements' to our game.

WTF, i've just renewed for next year and it seems to me that these types of results are becoming acceptable to our once great club. End of season stuff blah blah, players with one eye on holidays.

They take our season ticket money which reflects OF season levels yet they have no concern for any form of positive mentality to drive out results so often associated with the ugly sisters. Charge the prices, the dafties will come because they love the Hibs and that's what they always have done. Well I'm ***** sick of it.

Anyone come out with Colin Clueless yet?

Jim44
07-05-2011, 05:54 PM
I think Colin Calderwood recognised that the squad of players at his diposal were not capable for whatever reason of avoiding relegation. He was able to bring in players during the January transfer windoe, a time it is acknowledged when it is difficult to sign players of quality.
Those he brought in done the job required, we avoided relegation.
Next he had to clear players out, job done.Next he has to build a new squad capable of a top six finish next season.

He's doing ok and I hope that continues into next season.

Yes, they did the job required but I fail to see why the same players don't have the pride, professionalism, stamina, commitment and determination to continue to get honest results against the other dregs of the SPL. If it's a case of 'feet up lads, we've done enough', I hope Calderwood has the guts to weed out every player, over and above the ones out of contract, who has put us back to square one in a matter of a few games.

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Yes, they did the job required but I fail to see why the same players don't have the pride, professionalism, stamina, commitment and determination to continue to get honest results against the other dregs of the SPL. If it's a case of 'feet up lads, we've done enough', I hope Calderwood has the guts to weed out every player, over and above the ones out of contract, who has put us back to square one in a matter of a few games.

Agree, the lack of pride and passion is the killer for me, they play like they could not care less....

Unless we bring in serious quality we will be bottom six material again next season.....

Andy74
07-05-2011, 05:57 PM
We have missed Matty Thornhill alot in recent weeks. Not the only reason when have been terrible but has been a big loss IMO.

How can he be a big loss when he's done nothing of note for us and has never looked close to being fit?

Arch Stanton
07-05-2011, 06:00 PM
On the evidence of the results under his tenure, with two Hibs sides, CC is shaping up to be the worst in a long line of poor Hibs managers.

Lets hope we bring in some talent and passion next season. Another season like this one and we're in a real mess.

You wouldn't say then that the squad after the last transfer window was better than it was beforehand?

If not, then when do you reckon we last improved the team during a transfer window that didn't involve taking on higher earners?

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2011, 06:27 PM
How can he be a big loss when he's done nothing of note for us and has never looked close to being fit?
How many matches have we won without him?

Ritchie
07-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I can't believe I've committed to next season!!

Can you cancel the payment plan?

Littlest Hobo
07-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I'll wait until the start of next season before judging CC but going by recent results things don't look too good. If he's not worried by recent results and thinks there were pleasing elements in todays game then maybe we have the wrong guy in charge because where we are right now and results and performances of late isn't exceptable for a club of our stature. GET IT SORTED

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2011, 07:03 PM

If CC could tell me what elements of today's debacle were pleasing, I would be interested to know....Come on Colin we were so inept it was embarrassing, a team not won at home all season until the face us....

Ed De Gramo
07-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Best player on the park today

sesoim
07-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Maybe CC wants us to finish 11th, so that if we finish 10th next season, he can argue that he is turning the club around.

sesoim
07-05-2011, 07:27 PM

I kept hearing a few months ago from people that knew him that he was a winner as a player. Well it's one thing to do your job as a player and look after your what you do as an individual, but it's another to manage and motivate a whole team. I don't think he can do it and as I've said loads of times, I don't think he has the right personality to be a good a manager -there's something missing there.

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-05-2011, 08:03 PM
The last two games, we've started with 8 players who will still be with the club next season, the others are maybe's, so that's bit worrying given that we cannot claim the players are not interested because they won't be here next season.

Major, major surgery is required in the summer. I'm not going to judge CC just now, given that at the end of January we were probably favourites for the drop, but this next transfer window is the most important we've had for many years, he has to get it right or we are up crappy creek without the paddle.

Beefster
07-05-2011, 08:08 PM
I kept hearing a few months ago from people that knew him that he was a winner as a player. Well it's one thing to do your job as a player and look after your what you do as an individual, but it's another to manage and motivate a whole team. I don't think he can do it and as I've said loads of times, I don't think he has the right personality to be a good a manager -there's something missing there.

We lose a few games and the usual suspects pop up. Where were you when we went 7 unbeaten?

Alfred E Newman
07-05-2011, 08:29 PM
We lose a few games and the usual suspects pop up. Where were you when we went 7 unbeaten?

We can`t win a game in a mini league of the six worst teams in the league, its no wonder people are starting to ask questions. Untill we get players in the side who have some pride in the club we are going nowhere. It is an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment to every one connected to the club.

hibsbollah
07-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Its not a disgrace or an embarrassment. Its a poor run of results at the end of a season with nothing at stake. Ive committed for next season and am looking forward to it.:na na:

Arch Stanton
07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
The last two games, we've started with 8 players who will still be with the club next season, the others are maybe's, so that's bit worrying given that we cannot claim the players are not interested because they won't be here next season.

Major, major surgery is required in the summer. I'm not going to judge CC just now, given that at the end of January we were probably favourites for the drop, but this next transfer window is the most important we've had for many years, he has to get it right or we are up crappy creek without the paddle.

I don't know where all this lack of effort stuff is coming from - I listened to the Radio Scotland commentary and there was no mention of this at all - neither is it mentioned in their report, other than at the very end of the game, which was understandable I reckon -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9476490.stm

For all of last year I watched a team that couldn't pass, couldn't make angles to allow a pass to be made, couldn't control a pass that was made, couldn't defend very well and couldn't score too often either - but I can't recall much comment being made on their lack of effort. So, was my negative opinion of this period a tad harsh do you think?

And as far as the 8 retained players did you never notice how many of them were being tried in different positions over the last couple of games? And did it never strike you that there was a fact-finding exercise going on?

Do you perhaps think that Haggart was drafted in today to shore up a talentless and uninterested first team or perhaps was it the right time to give him his chance to stake his place? The latter is certainly my opinion.

Mind you I certainly agree with you CC has to get it right but personally I am looking forward to next season with great interest and I can see no reason to be pessimistic.

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Its not a disgrace or an embarrassment. Its a poor run of results at the end of a season with nothing at stake. Ive committed for next season and am looking forward to it.:na na:

The bottom club has beaten us twice in a matter of weeks.....1 point out of 12, it is embarrassing........

Alfred E Newman
07-05-2011, 08:49 PM

We have lost home and away in a fortnight to the worst team in the league ( other than us ). That has to be embarrassing and a disgrace..

Stonewall
07-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Agree, the lack of pride and passion is the killer for me, they play like they could not care less....

Unless we bring in serious quality we will be bottom six material again next season.....

You make the correct point and then manage to miss the correct conclusion by a mile.

Of course it's bad attitude that's the main problem.

Frankly if we'd given the last 4 managers £10 million each I've no confidence they'd not have wasted it.

To constantly bleat on about spending more is just plain lazy thinking and I'm not sure you're that stupid.

hibsbollah
07-05-2011, 08:53 PM
The more you spend on players the better attitude they will have. Its basic maths.:rolleyes:

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't know where all this lack of effort stuff is coming from - I listened to the Radio Scotland commentary and there was no mention of this at all - neither is it mentioned in their report, other than at the very end of the game, which was understandable I reckon -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9476490.stm

For all of last year I watched a team that couldn't pass, couldn't make angles to allow a pass to be made, couldn't control a pass that was made, couldn't defend very well and couldn't score too often either - but I can't recall much comment being made on their lack of effort. So, was my negative opinion of this period a tad harsh do you think?

And as far as the 8 retained players did you never notice how many of them were being tried in different positions over the last couple of games? And did it never strike you that there was a fact-finding exercise going on?

Do you perhaps think that Haggart was drafted in today to shore up a talentless and uninterested first team or perhaps was it the right time to give him his chance to stake his place? The latter is certainly my opinion.

Mind you I certainly agree with you CC has to get it right but personally I am looking forward to next season with great interest and I can see no reason to be pessimistic.

So the reason why we've only picked up 1 point from 3 home games against St Mirren/St Johnstone/Hamilton and Hamilton away (the first team to lose away to them in the SPL this season) is because we are trying players out in different positions?

I think we've simply played teams who are hungrier than we are. St Mirren and Hamilton are both in relegation battles and St Johnstone had a point to prove after their run of games without a goal, we've not been able to compete with them on the park, after St Johnstone equalised at ER last week there was only likely to be one team who was going to score a 2nd and it was not Hibs.

Regardless of will to win or trying out new positions, that is a shocking run of results for a club like Hibs.

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
You make the correct point and then manage to miss the correct conclusion by a mile.

Frankly if we'd given the last 4 managers £10 million each I've no confidence they'd not have wasted it.

To constantly bleat on about spending more is just plain lazy thinking and I'm not sure you're that stupid.

Could you be any more condescending?

Beefster
07-05-2011, 09:00 PM
We can`t win a game in a mini league of the six worst teams in the league, its no wonder people are starting to ask questions. Untill we get players in the side who have some pride in the club we are going nowhere. It is an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment to every one connected to the club.

I've no problem with justified criticism. I've a problem with folk that take a defeat as the latest opportunity to attack Calderwood. The poster I quoted, in particular, has been at it since his appointment - from claiming we should have appointed Jimmy Calderwood, to telling porkies about our Calderwood's previous managerial record, to personal attacks (what the **** does "there's something missing there" mean?). Needless to say, he was nowhere to be seen between February and April.

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2011, 09:01 PM

So do you think we wont finish in the bottom six then if we sign players who are lacking in quality? Please enlighten me.....

Stonewall
07-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Could you be any more condescending?

Yes.

But I did get a rise out of you.:greengrin

Stonewall
07-05-2011, 09:12 PM
So do you think we wont finish in the bottom six then if we sign players who are lacking in quality? Please enlighten me.....

I think that that you need to sign players with ability and attitude, and that they need to be well led. I also think that's possible on our budget.

You could argue that Fernando Torres cost Chelsea the league (or at least playing him ahead of Drogba did) and his attitude towards the end at Liverpool was a disgrace. I wouldn't say he lacked quality though.

blackpoolhibs
07-05-2011, 09:18 PM
The bottom club has beaten us twice in a matter of weeks.....1 point out of 12, it is embarrassing........

:agree: Calderwoods fault 100%

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I think that that you need to sign players with ability and attitude, and that they need to be well led. I also think that's possible on our budget.

You could argue that Fernando Torres cost Chelsea the league (or at least playing him ahead of Drogba did) and his attitude towards the end at Liverpool was a disgrace. I wouldn't say he lacked quality though.

Not sure how much ability and quality we will be able to bring in..... That is what concerns me the most

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2011, 09:21 PM
:agree: Calderwoods fault 100%

Francis Dickoh has a big say in that too

Stonewall
07-05-2011, 09:21 PM
The more you spend on players the better attitude they will have. Its basic maths.:rolleyes:

No it's not.

Removed
07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
No it's not.

He agrees. Think the smiley gave it away :wink:

blackpoolhibs
07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Francis Dickoh has a big say in that too

Yip, although he's off after next week, cant see why he was playing in the first place, and a centre half playing right back?

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Yip, although he's off after next week, cant see why he was playing in the first place, and a centre half playing right back?

I can't understand why Dickoh was back in after Stephens performed so well at Celtic and Aberdeen, especially as you say he is offski....Strange decision making

blackpoolhibs
07-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Not sure how much ability and quality we will be able to bring in..... That is what concerns me the most

We will spend more than every team bar the top 3, its down to the manager to manage the team properly. Do you think he has the ability to do that, and manage a team to topple the mighty Inverness or Motherwelll, and get the team in a european position?

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2011, 09:31 PM
We will spend more than every team bar the top 3, its down to the manager to manage the team properly. Do you think he has the ability to do that, and manage a team to topple the mighty Inverness or Motherwelll, and get the team in a european position?

At this moment in time, NO

blackpoolhibs
07-05-2011, 09:35 PM
At this moment in time, NO

Me neither, there's been no progress since he arrived imo.

Stonewall
07-05-2011, 09:41 PM

Me too.

I would feel a lot happier if I had confidence that the manager was able to build a team that was greater than the sum of its parts, because if we take a realistic view of it we can't spend enough money to guarantee success. I might even concede that we should push the boat and spend a bit more money if we did have such a manager.

The point surely is that just spending money is not the answer if the judgement of the people in charge is flawed.

People have been on here discussing why Mixu has done well with Killie and why did he not do well at Hibs. Well maybe he had a lucky 6 months and jumped ship before he got found out. If Hughes had gone elsewhere in January 2010 we would probably sitting here wishing he was still our manager.

I just don't think it's as easy as throwing money at the problem.

Stonewall
07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
He agrees. Think the smiley gave it away :wink:

Oh...

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2011, 09:45 PM

Just as well we had a decent run in February........

Alfred E Newman
07-05-2011, 09:53 PM

I have to agree. The arrival of Paulson and Scott toughenen the team up briefly and kept us up this season. Other than that we are just the same old hapless lot.. Hamiltons first home win of the season, St Johnstones first goals for umteem weeks, failure to beat 10 man Hearts, it just goes on and on. The players and management should hang their heads in shame, they don`t deserve our loyal support.

Big Ed
07-05-2011, 09:58 PM
I have to agree. The arrival of Paulson and Scott toughenen the team up briefly and kept us up this season. Other than that we are just the same old hapless lot.. Hamiltons first home win of the season, St Johnstones first goals for umteem weeks, failure to beat 10 man Hearts, it just goes on and on. The players and management should hang their heads in shame, they don`t deserve our loyal support.

TBF the team need toughening up in the short term; what we need now is quality to replace the gash we are emptying.

Bobo
08-05-2011, 09:19 AM
To be honest, after Yogi was emptied, I was happy for us to finish 11th and retain our SPL status. I didn't have any mis-conception that we could do much more than avoid the drop and sadly that's pretty much how the remainder of the season has panned out.

This squad of players is, without a shaddow of doubt, the worst I have ever had the mis-fortune of having to suffer. The lack of effort, fitness, pace, organisation and strength has been alarmingly missing for the past 3 seasons and it's only now that these weaknesses have started to be addressed with the cull of sub-standard players.

I'm not sure if Colin Calderwood will prove to be the man to get us challenging at the forefront of Scottish football again but at least he's made a start at clearing the decks and riding the squad of the dross who have dragged us down over the past few seasons.

The board and manager now need to make the most of our resources to bring in a higher standard of professional to get us competitive again. I'm willing to wait and see what's delivered over the summer before I start to make any judgements on our prospects for next season.