PDA

View Full Version : Everyman back defending corners

macca70
07-05-2011, 05:48 AM
This is something that i really do not understand.

Firstly, when the ball is cleared, it goes straight back to the opposition, unless you run the ball out the box then there is no chance of a counter attack.

Since we have been doing it, we seem to have lost more goals and look more of a shambles than leaving at least 1 man up the park.

Recently whilst Calderwood has clearly been instructing them to all get back for corners; We lost a goal to Hamilton when Sodje headed it off Miller into our own goal and we gave the St Johstone player a free header and conceded from a corner in our last game.

I think there it is phsycological aswell, it has a very negative effect on your own team and positive effect on the opposition.

If a team see's you bringing Everyman back to defend corners it indicates that you feel your team is bricking it and on the back foot.

Hamish
07-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Seconded - always annoyed me. If the opposition have 5 or 6 players above 6 foot who always appear in the opposition box at set plays then perhaps I can just about understand it - trying to crowd the area so the attacking team can't get a free header in, but otherwise surely if you leave 2 up then they must have minimum 3 defenders. Always did this when I coached juvenile teams

Probably why I am typing this instead of being a senior coach I suppose:greengrin

Broken Gnome
07-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Seconded - always annoyed me. If the opposition have 5 or 6 players above 6 foot who always appear in the opposition box at set plays then perhaps I can just about understand it - trying to crowd the area so the attacking team can't get a free header in, but otherwise surely if you leave 2 up then they must have minimum 3 defenders. Always did this when I coached juvenile teams

Probably why I am typing this instead of being a senior coach I suppose:greengrin

We never left Ivan up the pitch either, which was even more strange.

Just as strange is how a team with Dickoh, Sodje, Hanlon, Palsson, Scott, Vaz Te and Divis, probably Hibs' biggest in some time, STILL can't defend corners.

Steve-O
07-05-2011, 07:58 AM
3 words - Alex Miller tactics.

IWasThere2016
07-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Seconded - always annoyed me. If the opposition have 5 or 6 players above 6 foot who always appear in the opposition box at set plays then perhaps I can just about understand it - trying to crowd the area so the attacking team can't get a free header in, but otherwise surely if you leave 2 up then they must have minimum 3 defenders. Always did this when I coached juvenile teamsProbably why I am typing this instead of being a senior coach I suppose:greengrin

:agree:

Kojock
07-05-2011, 08:47 AM
I see nothing wrong with bringing everone back for a corner, its a tactic that has worked well for us this season, when was the last time we lost a goal from a corner. :wink:

The_Sauz
07-05-2011, 09:25 AM
So how come when other teams do it.....we never score :greengrin

Another negative about having all your players back at a corner, is it's very hard for a GK to come out :agree:

Keith_M
07-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Another negative about having all your players back at a corner, is it's very hard for a GK to come out :agree:

So THAT'S why there's only one openly gay footballer.

:hmmm:

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Where did we sign this Everyman from anyway? If we bought him just to defend corners he clearly isn't up to the job! Must have been a Yogi signing :greengrin

Gala Foxes
08-05-2011, 09:09 AM
takes you right back to the Alex Miller days - whole Hibs team in the box defending corners, ball gets cleared and comes straight back in.

Bit worrying when we are adopting these tactics against the "might" of Accies & St Mirren

stubru59
08-05-2011, 10:33 AM
No such thing as an inability to defend corners - only an inability to defend.

We've got quite bit of sorting to do over the summer.