PDA

View Full Version : Garry O @ Celtic

GreenCastle
06-05-2011, 04:48 PM
O'Connor training at Celtic...

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/247574-lennon-may-be-interested-in-garry-oconnor/

3pm
06-05-2011, 05:02 PM
We'll see who he really supports if he signs for them.

.Sean.
06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
We'll see who he really supports if he signs for them.Hardly, it's no real secret he was a 'tic fan growing up, is it?

Dashing Bob S
06-05-2011, 05:04 PM

Like Riordan and Murray before him, we'll find out -yet again- that it's his bank manager.

H18sry
06-05-2011, 05:04 PM

It's nothing to do with who he supports :rolleyes: it's all to do with money :agree:

scoopyboy
06-05-2011, 05:05 PM

He has supported Celtic all his days.

Beefster
06-05-2011, 05:06 PM

We'll see who really pays the biggest wages if he signs for them. I doubt who he supports will even be a consideration.

3pm
06-05-2011, 05:09 PM
I take all points and of course it's about cash. However, some have said he supports Hibs, others suggest he favours Celtic. The truth will out! Calm down! :o)

HibsMax
06-05-2011, 05:11 PM
At this stage in his career I think it makes more sense for him to join Celtic. He might get more playing time with Hibs but is that what is important to him right now?

Barney McGrew
06-05-2011, 05:17 PM
If you look at it without emotion he'd have the chance to join a club who will pay him a higher wage, will play in Europe and will give him a realistic chance to win three trophies a season - or he could join Hibs.

No brainer really and you can't blame him for taking the opportunity if he gets it.

moredun
06-05-2011, 05:39 PM
That will be him back in the Scotland set-up already then

MrSmith
06-05-2011, 05:40 PM
So what! He is a good player but not what Hibs need right now. We need fit, hungry and well motivated players not injury prone has-beens looking for a final payout!

Sorry Garry you ain't the one for me! Good luck though.

iwasthere1972
06-05-2011, 05:45 PM
The Celtic manager said "He's a good boy and has trained very well".

So was ma wee dug Ben when I first got him but when he started chewing the skirting boards in the kitchen it was the beginning of the end.

IIRC Boozy trained with Celtic when Mowbray was in charge but nothing became of it. Think this will go the same way.

PeterboroHibee
06-05-2011, 06:12 PM
I take all points and of course it's about cash. However, some have said he supports Hibs, others suggest he favours Celtic. The truth will out! Calm down! :o)

Even if hes a Hibs fan, so what if he moves to Celtic? Decent payday for him, opportunity to win things, fair enough imo.

Saying that, they have Hooper, Stokes and Samaras there, and unless they are likely to lose Hooper, would O'Connor get much time on the pitch? Cant see it myself, especially when they have the likes of Murphy in reserve who was scoring before he got injured.

SRHibs
06-05-2011, 06:24 PM
So what! He is a good player but not what Hibs need right now. We need fit, hungry and well motivated players not injury prone has-beens looking for a final payout!

Sorry Garry you ain't the one for me! Good luck though.

If Garry's personal issues won't be a problem, then he's exactly what we need. We need quality first and foremost IMO.

MrSmith
06-05-2011, 06:27 PM
If Garry's personal issues won't be a problem, then he's exactly what we need. We need quality first and foremost IMO.

Don't disagree with his quality but how many games do you think he'll play in a season??

For me, not enough! Maybe half a dozen? Maybe none? Maybe 20? no enough!

erin-go-bragh87
06-05-2011, 06:29 PM
He admitted in an interview in a match programme that he supported Celtic as a boy.

gringojoe
06-05-2011, 06:39 PM
He cant get home from Why Not without crashing his car, sorry his mate crashing his car, so how many cars will he or his pals crash travelling to weegieland everyday?

fat freddy
06-05-2011, 06:39 PM
we'll get him back after celtic get bored with him..

Frogga
06-05-2011, 06:42 PM
From the BBC:

"Indeed, Lennon added that he does not want any of his current squad to leave the club in the summer.

Gary Hooper, Anthony Stokes, Georgios Samaras and Darryl Murphy are all out-and-out strikers already at Lennon's disposal, while Morten Rasmussen is due to return to Celtic Park after his loan spell in his homeland with Danish outfit Aalborg.

And Shaun Maloney, Kris Commons and James Forrest can also be utilised in forward roles."

Don't know why he needs another striker? C'mon Lennon, let us have this one.

scoopyboy
06-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Quite calm 3pm, you were belted with a lot of replies within about 2 minutes.

I remember speaking to Garry one night and he was telling me he was about to sign for Rangers, he was quite proud of the fact and was telling anyone he met.
One guy from Port Seton tried to sell a photo of Garry with his Celtic top on and Larsson 7 on the back to the Sun.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-05-2011, 07:13 PM
If Celtc don't win the league then Lennon may have to off-load the big earners and a freebie on relatively small beer tokens may become an attractive proposition.

Dashing Bob S
06-05-2011, 07:18 PM
It's strange, though a little touching, how some people still imbue the team a professional footballer allegedly 'supports' or 'supported' with any significance.

It has none whatsoever.

silverhibee
06-05-2011, 07:23 PM

He is a celtc fan.

eastmainsmsh
06-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Celtic would be a good platform for him to get his career running after a miserable spell with injurys scotland setup again and Europe ...With a good pre season he could be a terrific bosman for anybody

I hope we get him tho :flag:

silverhibee
06-05-2011, 07:30 PM
The Celtic manager said "He's a good boy and has trained very well".

So was ma wee dug Ben when I first got him but when he started chewing the skirting boards in the kitchen it was the beginning of the end.

IIRC Boozy trained with Celtic when Mowbray was in charge but nothing became of it. Think this will go the same way.

:agree:

I wonder why Garry didn't ask to train at Hibs, close to home and all that for him.

col02
06-05-2011, 07:43 PM
How many strikers do Celtic need? :confused: I think with Murphy back fit they must have about 4 very decent strikers and that is not including Maloney or Commons who can play off one forward is need be.

Cocaine&Caviar
06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
How many strikers do Celtic need? :confused: I think with Murphy back fit they must have about 4 very decent strikers and that is not including Maloney or Commons who can play off one forward is need be.

Id still only really say that Hooper is top class out of what they have

Samaras is far too inconsistent
Murphy is just rubbish
Stokes is a goalscorer, but not a great partner on paper for Hooper, especially when theyve got Europe

Theres also talk of Shane Long from Reading

A lot of bodies, but no one I would imagine is a nailed on partner every week to partner Hooper, theyre screaming out for a Hartson or Sutton like bug guy to partner him, not that I think GOC fits the bill.

col02
06-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Id still only really say that Hooper is top class out of what they have

Samaras is far too inconsistent
Murphy is just rubbish
Stokes is a goalscorer, but not a great partner on paper for Hooper, especially when theyve got Europe

Theres also talk of Shane Long from Reading

A lot of bodies, but no one I would imagine is a nailed on partner every week to partner Hooper, theyre screaming out for a Hartson or Sutton like bug guy to partner him, not that I think GOC fits the bill.

I would agree Hooper is the one a class apart but the other 3 mentioned are more than decent enough for the Spl. O'Connor is a gamble for a club like Hibs nevermind a club with higher aspirations like Celtic imho.

stubru59
06-05-2011, 08:05 PM
If Celtc don't win the league then Lennon may have to off-load the big earners and a freebie on relatively small beer tokens may become an attractive proposition.

If Celtic don't win the league Lennon won't have any say in whose playing for them next season.

iwasthere1972
06-05-2011, 08:14 PM

I wonder why Garry didn't ask to train at Hibs, close to home and all that for him.

He'll be home tomorrow. He's got a cake with 28 candles to blow out. Knowing his luck he'll most likely burst his ear drums with his first attempt at the candles.

Cocaine&Caviar
06-05-2011, 08:17 PM
I would agree Hooper is the one a class apart but the other 3 mentioned are more than decent enough for the Spl. O'Connor is a gamble for a club like Hibs nevermind a club with higher aspirations like Celtic imho.

Id defenitly agree with that, but if they do get CL football next season, theyll need someone with quality up there, like the JVoH and McDonald partnership which served them pretty well.

essexhibee
06-05-2011, 08:17 PM
That'll be that then. :rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
06-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Hes surely made his money already but if he wants to go to Celtic then so be it. Its not as if hes obliged to come to Hibs anyway:rolleyes:

essexhibee
06-05-2011, 08:27 PM
http://www.snspix.com/image/4999223_4999223.jpg
http://www.snspix.com/image/4999220_4999220.jpg

Was really wishing that Garry would be coming back to the mighty Hibs but doesn't look like he will be!

silverhibee
06-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Hes surely made his money already but if he wants to go to Celtic then so be it. Its not as if hes obliged to come to Hibs anyway:rolleyes:

He is only training with celtc, nothing else.

IWasThere2016
06-05-2011, 08:44 PM
He is only training with celtc, nothing else.

iwasthere1972
06-05-2011, 08:48 PM

Was really wishing that Garry would be coming back to the mighty Hibs but doesn't look like he will be!

Is that Garry exercising his thumbs in the top pic?

Judas Iscariot
06-05-2011, 08:54 PM

How?

Cause he's training with them?

Oh aye, he'll sign for them, just like Boozy did a year or so ago after being in the same situation :aok:

essexhibee
06-05-2011, 09:25 PM
How?

Cause he's training with them?

Oh aye, he'll sign for them, just like Boozy did a year or so ago after being in the same situation :aok:
Difference between him and boozy is that the manager never came out and was quoted as saying he had trained very well and that he was interesting in the possibility of signing him just like Lennon has with garry.

Niffy
06-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Just training with them ?
Looks like you could use that excuse for Himmler when he put his SS uniform on an aw.... he's on the dark side now guys.... whoever he signs for.... sold his soul.

hibernian36
06-05-2011, 10:17 PM
don't want him back as it seems things haven't moved on from when he was with us the last time....

Pete
06-05-2011, 11:48 PM
I honestly don't think he's good enough for Celtic.

The closest Celtic have to him is Samaras, who has recently signed a new deal.

I think Samaras has more quality and has superior vision, movement and touch. He gets pelters from the weegie media but of course someone has to be a scapegoat. If I was Lennon I would take Samaras over O'Connor...but only just!

However, it doesn't mean he's a bad player and I would welcome him back with open arms.

Steve-O
07-05-2011, 01:19 AM
He's pish, they can have him.

smurf
07-05-2011, 02:09 AM
He's definitely not pish!

yekimevol
07-05-2011, 02:16 AM
[QUOTE=essexhibee;2795243]http://www.snspix.com/image/4999223_4999223.jpg

this hurts :(

Pete
07-05-2011, 02:44 AM
[QUOTE=essexhibee;2795243]http://www.snspix.com/image/4999223_4999223.jpg

this hurts :(

I know what you mean mate, it's what might have been, but that's the past!

I honestly don't think broons been the same since he's lost his hair. Samson and all that.

They can have the bald Broony...we've had the best of him!:greengrin

WellingtonHibby
07-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Is it just me, or does GoC have a touch of the Hurtado's about him..?

Bostonhibby
07-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Not Hibs class :wink:

joe breezy
07-05-2011, 07:15 AM
A Celtic fan was asking me about him on Tuesday as he knew GOC was training with them, I said even at Hibs he could be heavy and a bit slow, think Chris Killen but a wee bit better

Steve-O
07-05-2011, 07:52 AM
He's definitely not pish!

How about...overrated?

Dunbar Hibee
07-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Just spewed!

seven nowt
07-05-2011, 09:48 AM
To those who are saying O'Connor is not Hibs quality are just bitter. I want him back because he formed such a formiddable partnership with Deek and if he came back, it would encourage Riordan to stay.

O'Connor is brilliant and just get's his head down, hits the shot and scores. We need someone like him. Just admit it.

If he joined Celtic, it would be poor but you can't blame him for wanting game time when we haven't put a bid in for him.

I will ask everyone this, what team was he best at? It has to be us.

As I say, I want him and i was devastated when he left us for the first time.

Ritchie
07-05-2011, 10:15 AM
He's pish, they can have him.

I honestly don't think he's good enough for Celtic.

The closest Celtic have to him is Samaras, who has recently signed a new deal.

I think Samaras has more quality and has superior vision, movement and touch. He gets pelters from the weegie media but of course someone has to be a scapegoat. If I was Lennon I would take Samaras over O'Connor...but only just!

However, it doesn't mean he's a bad player and I would welcome him back with open arms.

No matter who Gary signs for in the SPL, he'll score goals for fun if he stays fit.

Look at some of the huddies that have came to the SPL and scored regularly!

You just have to look at our current inform striker to see that.

O'connor would be a perfect partner for hooper IMO.... He's better than Murphy and samaras.

Anybody who wouldn't want o'connor back at Easter road is off their head or just bitter that he may be tempted by the old firm.

Brads Laing
07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Good luck to him, he deserves success after all the injuries

MrSmith
07-05-2011, 11:57 AM
No matter who Gary signs for in the SPL, he'll score goals for fun if he stays fit.

Look at some of the huddies that have came to the SPL and scored regularly!

You just have to look at our current inform striker to see that.

O'connor would be a perfect partner for hooper IMO.... He's better than Murphy and samaras.

Anybody who wouldn't want o'connor back at Easter road is off their head or just bitter that he may be tempted by the old firm.

Very poor assumption! I'm not convinced he could stay fit enough to last a game never mind a campaign! As I have stated, Hibs need 100% fit and hungry players not injury prone wasters!

Steve-O
07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
O'Connor has scored approximately 21 goals in 5 YEARS since leaving Hibs.

Sorry if I can't get excited about his return, or raging about his possible move to Celtic.

moredun
07-05-2011, 12:49 PM
If Celtic don't win the league Lennon won't have any say in whose playing for them next season.

Yeah, how bad would it be if the huns with absolute zero money for 3 years, losing all thier players in the process, go on and beat celtc who have been splashing the cash left right and centre, Lennon doing a good job???
Any decent manager with the money he has spent would have won this very poor spl at xmas time, Lennon has made a pigs ear out of it, good manager, nah no way

moredun
07-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Very poor assumption! I'm not convinced he could stay fit enough to last a game never mind a campaign! As I have stated, Hibs need 100% fit and hungry players not injury prone wasters!

I agree, anyone who thibnk GOC is not a major risk, knows nothing

Ritchie
07-05-2011, 12:57 PM
O'Connor has scored approximately 21 goals in 5 YEARS since leaving.

the same could be said about other players who have came to the SPL and been a success

When will people realise that the SPL is garbage and you don't have to be a superstar to do well.

Of course, the only issue really isn't if he'll score, it's if he'll stay fit.

Steve-O
07-05-2011, 01:09 PM
the same could be said about other players who have came to the SPL and been a success

When will people realise that the SPL is garbage and you don't have to be a superstar to do well.

Doesn't always work that way though. There's been a few players come to the SPL and failed as well.

How many has Healy scored for the huns as an example?

edit - fairly bad example since he's played 6 games! Tore Andre Flo anyone? Or the likes of Jeffers who people though would score loads.

O'Connor would score a few, but I doubt he'd be rattling in 25 a season. He was more of a 10-15 goal man with us for the most part.

MrSmith
07-05-2011, 02:39 PM

Another very poor assumption! Many on here are old enough to have made that assessment 20 to 30 years ago, some nearly 40 years ago!

hibernian36
17-05-2011, 07:13 AM
don't want him back as it seems things haven't moved on from when he was with us the last time....

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3584877/Garry-OConnor-does-runner-after-drugs-swoop.html As I was saying....