PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Returns (According To The Daily Mail)

Baker9
05-05-2011, 08:58 AM
At least according to today's Daily Mail. "Bristol City last night confirmed Hibs have opened talks to bring back former fan's favourite Ivan......".

--------
05-05-2011, 09:38 AM
At least according to today's Daily Mail. "Bristol City last night confirmed Hibs have opened talks to bring back former fan's favourite Ivan......".

It's in The Herald as well - Bristol City have given permission for CC to talk to him with a view to his return to ER. Not gone any farther than that so far, apparently.

givescotlandfreedom
05-05-2011, 09:40 AM
And Metro with quotes Hibs have approached BCFC from them.

CallumLaidlaw
05-05-2011, 09:47 AM
is he not out of contract anyway?

--------
05-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Don't think so - I think he has another year to go.

RickyS
05-05-2011, 09:56 AM
but why would we approach them? its not as if he can sign before his contract is up:confused:

CallumLaidlaw
05-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Don't think so - I think he has another year to go.

In todays record -

The 30-year-old has been told his Ashton Gate contract will not be renewed in the summer and his previous employers are keen to see him back in the capital.

Sproule, who left Hibs for City in 2007, had been linked with Colin Calderwood's side during the January transfer window and travelled north of the border for talks last week.

City boss Keith Millen said: "Hibs asked for permission to speak to Ivan and I agreed it would be OK for him to go up there for a couple of days.

"He has been a very good servant to us and I want to give him all the help I can in finding another club."

JimBHibees
05-05-2011, 10:19 AM
but why would we approach them? its not as if he can sign before his contract is up:confused:

He will be able to sign when the window opens again at the end of the season as long as Hibs agree deal with club and player.

Baker9
05-05-2011, 10:30 AM

We would need to know with some certainty one way or another as far in advance as we can. His return will mean a wage and it makes sense to know so that the manager knows the score. I expect a gentleman's agreement would suffice with a club like Bristol City.

Baker9
05-05-2011, 10:36 AM
If he does come back I wonder whose decision it is to bring him back. Does the manager know him from his time down South? Is it the influence of Scott Lindsay in his new role? I seem to remember that I read or heard some years ago that he is a big fan of Ivan. Is it 'fan power' to generate season ticket sales?

happiehibbie
05-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I think we need to be carefull who comes back is he the same player i think not he cant seem to settle anywhere lets not have our hearts rule our heads .

we need to turn the corner next season as this season has been a wash out

--------
05-05-2011, 10:50 AM
In todays record -

Ah. Right. Wasn't paying attention there. :doh:

Sir David Gray
05-05-2011, 10:50 AM

:agree: Yep.

"The Northern Ireland international, whose contract with Bristol City comes to an end in May, met with Calderwood on Wednesday."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13216683.stm

Craig_in_Prague
05-05-2011, 10:54 AM
In terms of squad players, we could do a hell of a lot worse.

Although I loved the wee man, I have reservations about bringing him back and also if it goes not well it'll ruin most of our good memories of him.

We need to ensure we sign some really decent players that will be 1st picks each week though.

Still, it could go well and get some excitement running through the club again. Because right now it feels rather numb being a hibs fan at the moment.

Beefster
05-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Out of courtesy. I think, in general, most clubs will advise the current club when they are negotiating with one of their players.

Woody1985
05-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Out of courtesy. I think, in general, most clubs will advise the current club when they are negotiating with one of their players.

:agree:

And also allow him to be free from training so he can come up here.

scoopyboy
05-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Bang on Beefster.

Hibs also asked permission from ICT to speak to Adam Rooney and from Killie to speak to Jamie Hamill.

It should be noted however there is a big difference speaking to a player and signing him or even making an offer.

Cocaine&Caviar
05-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Would that mean its a no for Vaz Te, or to be considered as a forward instead of winger perhaps?

Cant imagine Wotherspoon would be going anywhere, except right back perhaps.

Dinkydoo
05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
He's not exactly "returned" though has he.

Yet.

3pm
05-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Bang on Beefster.

Hibs also asked permission from ICT to speak to Adam Rooney and from Killie to speak to Jamie Hamill.

It should be noted however there is a big difference speaking to a player and signing him or even making an offer.

And are either likely?!

JimBHibees
05-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Bang on Beefster.

Got to be said that if we were to get Ivan, Rooney, Hamill and a good standard dominating centre half I would be delighted.

Golden Bear
05-05-2011, 12:21 PM
I wonder why he's apparently not good enough for Bristol City?

:hmmm:

aberhibsfc
05-05-2011, 12:22 PM
And Metro with quotes Hibs have approached BCFC from them.

Says in Metro that we've permission from Bristol to speak to him.

Not sure about the contractual status, I thought it was up in the summer.

RickyS
05-05-2011, 12:58 PM

maybe its a wage bill thing?

hibsbollah
05-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Pair sproule on one side with swanson on the other for some flair out wide, grizzled experienced striker up front (healy from huns) and grizzled experienced defender (no idea who) and we're laughing:greengrin

LancashireHibby
05-05-2011, 03:12 PM
maybe its a wage bill thing?

Which pretty much immediately rule us out, surely?

Taz_hibee
05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
If CC thinks he can still do a job for us then that's good enough for me as I am certain he will have had a look at what he can do know and not be going on what he did when here last time :cgwa

ancient hibee
05-05-2011, 05:20 PM

Because he isn't-they put him out to Yeovil after all.

AndersonGGTTH
05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
my pal said he seen him Deeks's car today ! and he is not the bull pooing type!

Hamish
05-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Bit off topic but on the same BBC gossip page it states Dundee United are interested in John Rankin

Deemed not good enough for a bottom six side:duck:

scoopyboy
05-05-2011, 08:28 PM
And are either likely?!

Your guess is as good as mine.

Sammy7nil
05-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Your guess is as good as mine.

I will guess - neither is likely

down-the-slope
05-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Bit off topic but on the same BBC gossip page it states Dundee United are interested in John Rankin

Deemed not good enough for a bottom six side:duck:

Can we swap him for the Prince :greengrin now that would be a bargin

Viva_Palmeiras
05-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Can we swap him for the Prince :greengrin now that would be a bargin

No thanks 4'5" even in his Cuban heels

Liked his twisted lyric - "maybe your just like my father he never sat in side... This is what it sounds like when doves cry"

Hermit Crab
06-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Bang on Beefster.

Last window there was a .net frenzy as we were apparantly singing him. Maybe get him in the summer if hes out of contract. He will go to Ingerland for better wages anyway.

Baldy Foghorn
06-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Last window there was a .net frenzy as we were apparantly singing him. Maybe get him in the summer if hes out of contract. He will go to Ingerland for better wages anyway.

Agreed Rooney, I think your namesake will be head southwards

erin go bragh
07-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I think we need to be carefull who comes back is he the same player i think not he cant seem to settle anywhere lets not have our hearts rule our heads .

we need to turn the corner next season as this season has been a wash out
Settle anywhere? he has been at bristol for 4 years .
ggtth

Holmesdale Hibs
07-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Settle anywhere? he has been at bristol for 4 years .
ggtth

One of Ivan's main assets was his pace and so it will be interesting to see if he still has it. Even if he's slowed down a bit he'd probably still improve the squad and lift the fans.