PDA

View Full Version : 2-3-5 Formation for the Aberdeen match

iwasthere1972
03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
It's what Eddie would have wanted. Attack attack attack.

Would be great if both teams could agree to fielding 5 forwards and we were rewarded with lots of goals. None of this 1 up front nonsense for what (in terms of final placings) is a pretty meaningless game.

Discuss. :aok:

Dirkster23
03-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Would be great if both teams could agree to fielding 5 forwards and we were rewarded with lots of goals. None of this 1 up front nonsense for what (in terms of final placings) is a pretty meaningless game.

We've not got 5 forwards :dunno:

iwasthere1972
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
We've not got 5 forwards :dunno:

Vaz Te
Duffy
Nish
Riordan
Sodje
Trakys

That's 6.

DAVE1875
03-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Vaz Te
Duffy
Nish
Riordan
Sodje
Trakys

That's 6.

Nish and Trakys have basically been told to GTF by CC

Brads Laing
03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Heres the team for this formation

Divis

Dickoh Hanlon

Wotherspoon Palsson Booth

Vaz Te Miller Riordan Galbraith

Sodje

R'Albin
03-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Nish and Trakys have basically been told to GTF by CC

Galbraith and Spoony could go upfront?

Phil D. Rolls
04-05-2011, 09:48 AM

How many times did Edde Turnbull put out a team with the 2-3-5 formation?

iwasthere1972
04-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Couldn't tell you.

PeeJay
04-05-2011, 05:21 PM

He played in a team with a 2-3-5 formation!:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
04-05-2011, 06:08 PM
He played in a team with a 2-3-5 formation!:greengrin

No expert on the subject, but I think I've heard it said that team was a bit more sophisticated than that, they would change their shape. I think Bobby Johnston would play in what is now called a midfield position, and Ned tended to drop back there as well.

Apologies if this is wrong, and it would be really interesting to hear from someone who can speak with authority on the subject.

Phil D. Rolls
04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Couldn't tell you.

Fair enough, I know there were lots of times he didn't, like that time at Parkhead in 1978 when Ally McLeod passed the ball back to the keeper from a free kick just outside Celtic's penalty box.

Ned was a modern thinker about the game, and IMO 2-3-5 is from a time before he started to have an influence on football.

PeeJay
04-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Apologies if this is wrong, and it would be really interesting to hear from someone who can speak with authority on the subject.

....cheers!:greengrin
I assumed it was that, but I'm not 100% sure, so...

ancient hibee
05-05-2011, 05:09 PM
No expert on the subject, but I think I've heard it said that team was a bit more sophisticated than that, they would change their shape. I think Bobby Johnston would play in what is now called a midfield position, and Ned tended to drop back there as well.

They were a front five of goal scorers who interchanged frequently.Johnstone was by far the best passer in the team, a skill he hadn't lost when he came back.They were also helped by having a terrific defence.

KWJ
05-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Was it not a bit like

-----------Younger---------

?----?---------Combe----------?

Smith----------------------Ormand

---------Johnstone---Turnbull-----

-------------Reilly--------------

Ashamed that despite having read Lawrie Reilly's book very recently I've forgotten the name of pal that played a the back. Was it Buchanan? and the other 2.

Poor show. But aye, like the others say it was interchanging although was it not a bit more normal than 2-3-5 it's just that the Famous Five were all particularly attacking. Smith and Ormand were attacking wide midfielders ala McGeady, Overmars, Nani etc. Was struggling to think of other Hibs players that have played that pos out and out. Galbraith I suppose but Sproule/Spoony have played other positions.

HibbyAndy
06-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Why dont we try Harry Potters 10-0-0 formation? Im sure we could scrape a draw against the sheep at least :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
06-05-2011, 08:54 AM
....cheers!:greengrin
I assumed it was that, but I'm not 100% sure, so...

Sorry, I coulc have worded that a bit better.

ancient hibee
06-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Was it not a bit like

-----------Younger---------

?----?---------Combe----------?

Smith----------------------Ormand

---------Johnstone---Turnbull-----

-------------Reilly--------------

Ashamed that despite having read Lawrie Reilly's book very recently I've forgotten the name of pal that played a the back. Was it Buchanan? and the other 2.

Poor show. But aye, like the others say it was interchanging although was it not a bit more normal than 2-3-5 it's just that the Famous Five were all particularly attacking. Smith and Ormand were attacking wide midfielders ala McGeady, Overmars, Nani etc. Was struggling to think of other Hibs players that have played that pos out and out. Galbraith I suppose but Sproule/Spoony have played other positions.
In fact Smith and Ormond weren't attacking wide midfielders.Smith started out at centre forward-they were out and out wingers-things were different then:greengrinArchie Buchanan and Bobby Combe were the wing halves-although Combe scored around 70 goals because he usually moved forward if one of the Five was injured.The defenders were usually Govan,Howie and Paterson with Younger in goals.