PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Aberdeen to be a tribute to Eddie Turnbull

marinello59
03-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Prices for the Aberdeen game have been reduced to £10 for adults and £5 for concessions. Let's pack the place out for the great man.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110503/hibernian-v-aberdeen_2262950_2351562

smurf
03-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Tremendous stuff from our club. Well done to all concerned.:thumbsup:

lyonhibs
03-05-2011, 09:45 AM
If ER doesn't come damn close to a sell-out in these circumstances, then all future whinges about ticket prices/ "Hibs board only care about ££££"-style rants will be rendered completely impotent.

Time to show our respect for one of Hibs' true heros. The board have most definitely done their bit on this occasion.

GGTTH

basehibby
03-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Tremendous stuff from our club. Well done to all concerned.:thumbsup:

:agree: Lets pack the place out for Eddie!

joe breezy
03-05-2011, 09:55 AM
That's a great gesture, glad they've done it

Manxhibs
03-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm coming from the isle of man with a couple of mates to pay my respects to the great man! Fantastic gesture by the club!

AndersonGGTTH
03-05-2011, 10:05 AM
i am not one of those who are bothered but it would of been cheaper for me not getting a season tickets this season but as i say i dont really care and its good that the club are doing more and more promotions and especially for The Legend!

I think the Season Tickets for next season should be reduced but i know they are not as i have all ready re-newed mines for the same price !

cabbageandribs1875
03-05-2011, 10:11 AM
well done hibs in reducing the prices, count me in

PeeJay
03-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Seems a fine move by the board to me - two sets of football fans honouring a former player/manager at the clubs - great stuff.

Baldy Foghorn
03-05-2011, 10:28 AM
i am not one of those who are bothered but it would of been cheaper for me not getting a season tickets this season but as i say i dont really care and its good that the club are doing more and more promotions and especially for The Legend!

I think the Season Tickets for next season should be reduced but i know they are not as i have all ready re-newed mines for the same price !

Dont want to sound negative, but that is 3 games this season where reduced prices have come in, which imo devalues the worth of having a season ticket....

However a marvellous gesture this time by the club to try and get a packed house to say farewell to a legend.... I believe it was 10 and 5 pounds because Eddie wore the number 10 shirt and was part of the Famous Five, good marketing this time around.....:agree:

bingo70
03-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Dont want to sound negative, but that is 3 games this season where reduced prices have come in, which imo devalues the worth of having a season ticket....

However a marvellous gesture this time by the club to try and get a packed house to say farewell to a legend.... I believe it was 10 and 5 pounds because Eddie wore the number 10 shirt and was part of the Famous Five, good marketing this time around.....:agree:

I normally agree with this line of thought as well and i wouldn't want it to become a regular thing, however in this instance, not just because of Eddie Turnbull but also because of the crowds at the last 2 home games, the fact it's the last game of the season and it means nothing i think reducing prices for this game just makes sense.

I don't think a promotion like this for such a meaningless game will have any impact on future ST sales as i don't think many will expect to budget for us having such a rubbish season next year.

Purehibee_MYB
03-05-2011, 10:52 AM
I hope this sells out...it would be magnificent to see a packed easter road for Eddie...I also hope there is a 5 minute delayed kick-off in order for a couple of songs and a silence (or applause) to be done in his memory.

Steve-O
03-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Well done Hibs. I hope all of you that can possibly go will make the most of it, and then we might see that reducing prices actually does work! :agree:

bingo70
03-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Well done Hibs. I hope all of you that can possibly go will make the most of it, and then we might see that reducing prices actually does work! :agree:

I don't think it does work but hopefully it makes a big difference in this game.

Cocaine&Caviar
03-05-2011, 11:24 AM
11k max.

bruno
03-05-2011, 11:39 AM
I think it's a great gesture to help pay respects to a true Edinburgh footballing legend.

Unfortunately as we have seen all clubs are finding it hard to get people back and this may tempt some older fans return for maybe the first time this season to pay their respects.

They may not be instantly drawn back into the fold and rush out and buy a season ticket. But a good atmosphere a decent game of football as well as a good send off to an ex player/manager many will remeber and they may be tempted back on the odd occassion next season. Then the quality of football will decide if they continue.

Anyway well done to both clubs and hope the crowd is as he would have deserved.

LancashireHibby
03-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Would love to be there but it looks like the trains are a mess coming back so for that reason I'm out :boo hoo:

Greentinted
03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
A nice touch for what should be a fine celebration of the life of a true legend. Would like to see every player on both sides wearing the number 10 on their shorts but no doubt some erse at the SPL would put the kybosh on that...

The_Sauz
03-05-2011, 01:23 PM
A nice touch for what should be a fine celebration of the life of a true legend. Would like to see every player on both sides wearing the number 10 on their shorts but no doubt some erse at the SPL would put the kybosh on that...
I'm sure Celtic got to do that when Tommy Burns* died :agree:

I could be wrong with the player, but they did do it for somebody!

NYHibby
03-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately as we have seen all clubs are finding it hard to get people back and this may tempt some older fans return for maybe the first time this season to pay their respects.

They may not be instantly drawn back into the fold and rush out and buy a season ticket. But a good atmosphere a decent game of football as well as a good send off to an ex player/manager many will remeber and they may be tempted back on the odd occassion next season. Then the quality of football will decide if they continue.

I hope you are right

carlos70
03-05-2011, 02:36 PM
11k max.

:agree: The F.A. Cup final's on at the same time as the Hibs v Aberdeen match. Brought it forward a week because they're playing the Champions League final at Wembley this year.

trev the hat
03-05-2011, 02:47 PM
11k max.

Any non season holder buying a ticket, be quick as just got mine & ground looks to be 3/4 sold out already.:thumbsup:

MoscowHibs
03-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I wasnt gonna bother going before, but seeing as its for Eddie, thats the flights booked and tickets ordered.I would also like to see them retire the no10, like they do in Ice Hockey for legends.

Gatecrasher
03-05-2011, 03:28 PM
:agree: The F.A. Cup final's on at the same time as the Hibs v Aberdeen match. Brought it forward a week because they're playing the Champions League final at Wembley this year.

So how is that going to affect the crowd :confused:

dangermouse
03-05-2011, 03:39 PM
So how is that going to affect the crowd :confused:

Exactly! I know where I'd rather be and it's not watching TV

iwasthere1972
03-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Any non season holder buying a ticket, be quick as just got mine & ground looks to be 3/4 sold out already.:thumbsup:

Where you you seen that?

carlos70
03-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Exactly! I know where I'd rather be and it's not watching TV

Won't affect us regulars, but walk- up fans could be tempted. 1 pm kick off then BTG would have been ideal, and made the club money as well.

trev the hat
03-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Where you you seen that?

According to the online ticket plan (albeit the red areas are prob season books.)
Dunbar end no tickets available
Not alot left in the east either.
apart from the red areas i counted something like 3300 odd available to purchase.

So does that no mean 3/4 sold out & more than 10 days to go.:greengrin

correct me if i,m wrong

scoopyboy
03-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Not a fair test of your theory.

People will go to this because of respect to a legend, not because its cheap.

lugz
03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Just an idea..

I think it would be a fitting tribute if Hibs & Aberdeen were to wear old school jerseys to show the time Turnbull spent at both clubs.

I think Man Utd & City done this quite recently (can't remember the reason behind it)

Thoughts?

lyonhibs
03-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Just an idea..

I think it would be a fitting tribute if Hibs & Aberdeen were to wear old school jerseys to show the time Turnbull spent at both clubs.

I think Man Utd & City done this quite recently (can't remember the reason behind it)

Thoughts?

It was for the 50th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster, and it looked, and just generally was, absolute class.

Would be amazing if Hibs and Aberdeen did this - there's still 2 weeks to get this sorted.

Gutted I can't be there - if it had been the weekend after, I'd have been up the road in a shot :boo hoo:

Hibee1
03-05-2011, 04:15 PM
According to the online ticket plan (albeit the red areas are prob season books.)
apart from the red areas i counted something like 3300 odd available to purchase.

correct me if i,m wrong

Yep, the eticketing website shows the following figures for available seats (at 5pm today):
West - 1514
Famous Five - 1041
East - 767
TOTAL - 3322

There may be gaps in executive areas but these are not counted as available. If all season ticket holders go then the stadium will probably the most full it has been since new stand was completed.
I'm glad Eddie's getting the send off he so truly deserves, the man was a real legend.

scoopyboy
03-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Yep, the eticketing website shows the following figures for available seats (at 5pm today):
West - 1514
Famous Five - 1041
East - 767
TOTAL - 3322

There may be gaps in executive areas but these are not counted as available. If all season ticket holders go then the stadium will probably the most full it has been since new stand was completed.
I'm glad Eddie's getting the send off he so truly deserves, the man was a real legend.

I can't believe that seating chart. Section 45 sold out yet two of the busiest sections in the East have plenty left.

iwasthere1972
03-05-2011, 04:37 PM

correct me if i,m wrong

On the assumption that all the corporate/hospitality areas (plus the "missing" seats in the West Stand) are or will be sold the amount of available seats left are

West Stand 1517
FF Stand 1041
East Stand 767

TOTAL 3325

You're pretty spot on :aok:

Be interesting to see how many of the remaining seats are available in the next couple of days.

joebakerforever
03-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Just an idea..

Thoughts?

Great idea, and if not possible a commemorative embroidered badge on the jerseys, which could then be auctioned, with the Turnbull family deciding how the proceeds should be dispersed.

lugz
03-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Great idea, and if not possible a commemorative embroidered badge on the jerseys, which could then be auctioned, with the Turnbull family deciding how the proceeds should be dispersed.

That sounds excellent, is there any contacts at the club who i can forward this idea onto?

CB_NO3
04-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Any idea what the club are planning to do for this? I thought of an idea that would be class, doubt it would happen though. Anyway it would be good if Hibs could wear a strip from the Turnbulls Tornadoes era and Aberdeen could wear a strip from the time he was with them. A one off game with no sponsors and names on the back. Also if the club could hand out free Green and White retro scarves to the fans and the same to the Aberdeen fans it would look really smart. They could even bring out rattles for the game to create that retro look and sound in and around the stadium. I think this would be a great way to celebrate the life of Eddie Turnbull. Am sure Man Utd done something like this a few years ago against City and it looked amazing. Something a bit different from just a minutes silence.

3pm
04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
The best tribute will be if the 2 teams get the ball down and pass it with speed and purpose rather than a big punt in the air.

Moulin Yarns
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
On the assumption that all the corporate/hospitality areas (plus the "missing" seats in the West Stand) are or will be sold the amount of available seats left are

West Stand 1517
FF Stand 1041
East Stand 767

TOTAL 3325

You're pretty spot on :aok:

Be interesting to see how many of the remaining seats are available in the next couple of days.

3280 left at 13:30 today

Frogga
04-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Just an idea..

Thoughts?

Think that was for the anniversary of the Munich Air Crash.

And yeah I'd like that idea - I'm sure people would be interested in buying some sort of old-fashioned Turnbull no.10 Hibs kit and it'd be nice to see the fans around the stadium wearing some older Hibs kits.

Moulin Yarns
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Think that was for the anniversary of the Munich Air Crash.

And yeah I'd like that idea - I'm sure people would be interested in buying some sort of old-fashioned Turnbull no.10 Hibs kit and it'd be nice to see the fans around the stadium wearing some older Hibs kits.

I'll be wearing my 1970's top, i hope loads more fans do the same. :thumbsup:

jakki
04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
I've just ordered 2 tickets for the East Stand.:thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
04-05-2011, 03:58 PM
3280 left at 13:30 today

3242 left at 4.55pm

Over and out. :aok:

iwasthere1972
04-05-2011, 10:30 PM
I'll be wearing my 1970's top, i hope loads more fans do the same. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll wear my own one.

Cheers. :aok:

fatbloke
04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I wasnt gonna bother going before, but seeing as its for Eddie, thats the flights booked and tickets ordered.I would also like to see them retire the no10, like they do in Ice Hockey for legends.

If as they say Deeks is off then that should be easy.

McHibby
05-05-2011, 12:45 AM

That was my first thought too when I read he was the No 10. I also really like the idea of both teams wearing the old style strips. It would be a very thoughtful gesture - just as the £10 price is... Well done Hibs.

I just wish I could be there, I grew up listening to stories about him and the FF from my dad and papa. But my uni dissertation is due in the following week, so I can't really afford the time off to come up to Scotland :(

Purehibee_MYB
05-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know if it is close to a sell-out yet?

moredun
05-05-2011, 09:23 PM
3153 tickets left now

Hopefully a lot will sell over the weekend as peeps get paid

I also believe all the vip etc areas will be taken for this game.
The dons must have the whole stand, whether they bring a lot down i don't know, i would imagine a decent crowd from them considering.

It would be fantastic if it was to sell out for the great man:not worth

Lofarl
05-05-2011, 10:44 PM
The dons will bring a big support. They usually do. Enough to fill the south? I doubt it. But we should aim for 18k.

Billy McKirdy
05-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Popping along tomorrow to get a couple of tickets, one for myself and one for my late pals laddie who is a hun, like his dad, he's only 10 but I have visions of turning him green, at least for the day :greengrin it should be a cracking atmosphere and a fitting tribute to Ned :not worth

down-the-slope
05-05-2011, 11:27 PM
:tin hat: i seem to be in a minority where i can't see all the fuss being made about an ex-player manager.
Yes its sad when a husband/father/grand father/son etc passes and will be missed by all those close to them...but this 'Diana' esque out pouring for individuals by people who never even saw them play/manage let alone knew them personally, i find wierd.

I'll be there as usual and hope the match is less dour than many this season....and look forward to a new season and some up to date quality on the pitch

Removed
05-05-2011, 11:46 PM
:tin hat: i seem to be in a minority where i can't see all the fuss being made about an ex-player manager.
Yes its sad when a husband/father/grand father/son etc passes and will be missed by all those close to them...but this 'Diana' esque out pouring for individuals by people who never even saw them play/manage let alone knew them personally, i find wierd.

I'll be there as usual and hope the match is less dour than many this season....and look forward to a new season and some up to date quality on the pitch

Are we allowed to do it if we did see him play or manage?

I think apart from losing the man, its the loss of another link to the days when we actually had great teams. I don't think it's anywhere near Dianaesque and there are plenty on here who met him and others who knew him pretty well. For those that didn't ever meet him or see him play, I doubt there are many who haven't had fathers or grandfathers tell of the great times watching either the famous five or the tornadoes.

Peevemor
06-05-2011, 12:38 AM

I think apart from losing the man, its the loss of another link to the days when we actually had great teams. I don't think it's anywhere near Dianaesque and there are plenty on here who met him and others who knew him pretty well. For those that didn't ever meet him or see him play, I doubt there are many who haven't had fathers or grandfathers tell of the great times watching either the famous five or the tornadoes.

:agree:

PeeJay
06-05-2011, 06:20 AM

I'm sure a lot of Hibs fans will have seen the TTs he managed and some of the "really old" ones would have seen him play as part of the league winning team - I wish I could be there myself...

Hibs as a club is not just about where we are today, but also knowing where we as a club once were - fans showing thanks or respect to a former great servant - a genuine legend - is surely perfectly normal?

down-the-slope
06-05-2011, 07:08 AM

you are kind of reinforcing my point - thats its perfectly normal for those who knew / met / saw the man to have a real sense of loss (i have taked to many who have done so and said he was a someone who 'shot from the hip' and a genuine man) its those haven't yet act as if they had and therfore the loss is the same i don't get.

And to be clear its not about being disrespectful. Every respect should be shown to his family / friends who attaend match and I applaud the club for making efforts to do so.

Purehibee_MYB
06-05-2011, 07:44 AM
The dons will bring a big support. They usually do. Enough to fill the south? I doubt it. But we should aim for 18k.

18k would still bring a brilliant atmosphere to ER and it would probably be the biggest attendance of the season

Barman Stanton
06-05-2011, 08:12 AM

He was a Hibs legend, and we really dont have many of them left. He was captain and manager of probably our two best teams. Seems perfectly normal to me that people would be saddened by his death and want to show their appreciation.

Im personally too young to have seen the Tornados, but the amount my Dad used to talk about them I feel like I did. Im happy to make a fuss over one of our last legends.

Purehibee_MYB
06-05-2011, 11:16 AM
you are kind of reinforcing my point - thats its perfectly normal for those who knew / met / saw the man to have a real sense of loss (i have taked to many who have done so and said he was a someone who 'shot from the hip' and a genuine man) its those haven't yet act as if they had and therfore the loss is the same i don't get.

And to be clear its not about being disrespectful. Every respect should be shown to his family / friends who attaend match and I applaud the club for making efforts to do so.

I'm too young to have seen the Tornadoes or Turnbull manage...but as a Hibs fan I have seen the work he's done and the influence he has had at Hibs and all over Scotland. He is one of the only true legends of Hibernian, and it is him that provides an target of playing style for the Hibs of today to emulate

iwasthere1972
06-05-2011, 02:46 PM
3098 seats available.

West Stand 1433
FF Stand 1024
East Stand 641

Hopefully all or the majority of season ticket holders will attend, all hospitality seats will be filled and Aberdeen sell out the away stand.

Don't know if any comparisons can be made but I've just had a look at the thread relating to ticket sales for the last derby and there were 3700 seats available with the same number of days left.

Jones28
06-05-2011, 04:36 PM
I think it's a great gesture to help pay respects to a true Edinburgh footballing legend.

Anyway well done to both clubs and hope the crowd is as he would have deserved.

Jones28
06-05-2011, 04:41 PM

So you find it weird that, even though myself and many others didnt actually see him play in person, we still want to celebrate a Hibs legend?

And you say we're weird? :rolleyes:

Smiggy 7-0
06-05-2011, 08:07 PM
To those who missed the Tornado years, you probably missed our best ever spell (Famous Five years apart). When Turnbull was manager, we feared NOBODY, now NOBODY fears us cause were gash.

Was down for Aberdeen match tickets around 3.30 today, West stand lower only Block 3 was available, selling fast, East stand quite a few at the back, but hey, I get vertigo that high up.

TURNBULL's TORNADOES :not worth:flag:

Moulin Yarns
07-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I initially thought an interesting thing for the game against Aberdeen would be to have the music that was top of the charts during the Turnbull's Tornadoes era, but after compiling a list, I'm not so sure....

Thought anyone??

6/5/1972 Scottish Cup Final – Amazing Grace – The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

5/8/72 Drybrough Cup Final – Puppy Love – Donny Osmond :rolleyes:

9/12/72 League Cup Final – My Ding-a-Ling – Chuck Berry :rolleyes:

1/1/73 that 0-7 game – Long Haired Lover From Liverpool – Little Jimmy Osmond :rolleyes:

4/8/73 Drybrough Cup Final – I’m the Leader of the Gang (I Am) – Gary Glitter :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

26/10/74 League Cup Final – Sad Sweet Dreamer – Sweet Sensation

12/5/79 Scottish Cup Final – Bright Eyes – Art Garfunkel

16/5/79 Scottish Cup Replay - Bright Eyes – Art Garfunkel

28/5/79 Scottish Cup Replay – Sunday Girl - Blondie :aok:

lyonhibs
07-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I initially thought an interesting thing for the game against Aberdeen would be to have the music that was top of the charts during the Turnbull's Tornadoes era, but after compiling a list, I'm not so sure....

Thought anyone??

6/5/1972 Scottish Cup Final – Amazing Grace – The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

5/8/72 Drybrough Cup Final – Puppy Love – Donny Osmond :rolleyes:

9/12/72 League Cup Final – My Ding-a-Ling – Chuck Berry :rolleyes:

1/1/73 that 0-7 game – Long Haired Lover From Liverpool – Little Jimmy Osmond :rolleyes:

4/8/73 Drybrough Cup Final – I’m the Leader of the Gang (I Am) – Gary Glitter :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

26/10/74 League Cup Final – Sad Sweet Dreamer – Sweet Sensation

12/5/79 Scottish Cup Final – Bright Eyes – Art Garfunkel

16/5/79 Scottish Cup Replay - Bright Eyes – Art Garfunkel

28/5/79 Scottish Cup Replay – Sunday Girl - Blondie :aok:

In summary, great decade for Hibs, a - mostly - absolutely shocking decade for music :greengrin

iwasthere1972
08-05-2011, 02:43 PM
3000 seats available.

West Stand 1388
FF Stand 1016
East Stand 596

Nakedmanoncrack
09-05-2011, 09:13 AM
In summary, great decade for Hibs, a - mostly - absolutely shocking decade for music :greengrin

Na, great decade for real music, but as usual a crap decade for chart singles.:agree:

iwasthere1972
09-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Only meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

For anyone who is interested. There are 2920 seats available for the Aberdeen match.

West Stand 1372
FF Stand 1001
East Stand 547

Over and out.

GreenCastle
09-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Any idea how many Aberdeen have sold ?

Not sure if they have ever sold out the South Stand ?

If the figures are reliable then it sounds like a great turnout and the East may even sell out!!

iwasthere1972
09-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Any idea how many Aberdeen have sold ?

Not sure if they have ever sold out the South Stand ?

If the figures are reliable then it sounds like a great turnout and the East may even sell out!!

Don't think they have. Maybe 2000-2500 at maximum and that was when they were challenging us for third spot back in the Mowbray era. Even with the reduced prices of £10 and £5 I can't see Aberdeen bringing more than 1000-1200. There are cash gates in operation so we'll just have to wait and see.

I expect the attendance to be somewhere in the region of 16,000 so still enough folk to generate a decent atmosphere.

:flag: :flag:

Chuck Rhoades
09-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Just posted this on a similar thread:

According to e-ticketing there are only 2,860 remaining. The whole away section is shown as sold out, so im guessing the full stand is going to the Dons.

Either way there are 2,860 for us Hibbys to snap up and belt out tribute songs to Ned!

For all of those constantly moaning about ticket prices, £5 child, £10 Adult - no excuses!

Hibee1
11-05-2011, 12:38 PM
The club have now released further details for Saturday:

"Both teams will wear embroidered tribute shirts, and will be joined on the pitch before kick-off by Hibernian legends, including players from Turnbull's Tornadoes and former players from both clubs to lead the minute's applause."

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110511/eddie-turnbull-tribute-match_2262950_2357827

There will also be tribute tables and pre-match Hibs songs including Sunshine on Leith.

Would've preferred a minute's silence, as I don't think anybody would want to spoil it, but it's good to see both clubs getting involved.
I'm hoping there's a few guest speakers at half time and that everyone make the extra effort - as many supporters as we can and a good performance on the pitch.

DaveF
11-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Cannot understand why there isn't a minutes silence to reflect on the man's achievements in his footballing life.

This minutes applause really does get on my nerves.

silverhibee
11-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Cannot understand why there isn't a minutes silence to reflect on the man's achievements in his footballing life.

marinello59
11-05-2011, 12:54 PM

I do prefer a minutes silence but the applause works as well. Remember the planned minutes silence for George Best spontaneously turning to applause after about ten seconds? I found that quite moving at the time.

Removed

Mine too. Silence is about showing some respect. Not enough of that these days imo.

cabbageandribs1875
under the circumstances, a minutes silence would have been impeccably observed imo

Joe Baker II
11-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Don't think they have. Maybe 2000-2500 at maximum and that was when they were challenging us for third spot back in the Mowbray era. Even with the reduced prices of £10 and £5 I can't see Aberdeen bringing more than 1000-1200. There are cash gates in operation so we'll just have to wait and see.

I expect the attendance to be somewhere in the region of 16,000 so still enough folk to generate a decent atmosphere.

:flag: :flag:

Aberdeen regularly had over 3,000 in South Stand in 1990s and predecessor Dunbar End (not often but occasionally brought in excess of 5,000). Am struggling to remember specific games but they have definitely sold it out on some occasions although there support declined once the idiots running Hibs decided to only allocate them half the stand (and correspondingly paying at the gate became harder) although Hibs were never quite filling Easter Road even in the Mowbray/Collins eras.

Peevemor
11-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Aberdeen regularly had over 3,000 in South Stand in 1990s and predecessor Dunbar End (not often but occasionally brought in excess of 5,000). Am struggling to remember specific games but they have definitely sold it out on some occasions although there support declined once the idiots running Hibs decided to only allocate them half the stand (and correspondingly paying at the gate became harder) although Hibs were never quite filling Easter Road even in the Mowbray/Collins eras.

Aberdeen's travelling support (to all grounds) has been dwindling for about 20 years and you reckon it's the fault of the Hibs' board.

That's not like you. :rolleyes:

marinello59
11-05-2011, 03:05 PM

Any chance to have a go at the club you claim to support eh? Even by your standards that is pushing it a bit. The Aberdeen support, home and away, has been in decline for years. Or aren't the two related?

Broken Gnome
11-05-2011, 03:46 PM

That's a shame you can't remember any specifics, because your probably going to need photographic evidence to show that Aberdeen have taken anywhere near 3,800 to Easter Road in the last 15 or 16 years since the rebuilds started. Clue - they haven't.

Two highest-profile Hibs v Aberdeen games of recent times were the 2004/05 games. They got the whole stand. They didn't even take 3,000 either time. One of the biggest myths on this board that anyone but the Old Firm or Hearts have sold the South Stand out for a league game.

But hey, there's a dig to be had at the board, so things must be twisted.

hibeeleicester
11-05-2011, 04:33 PM
shame there wont be old school strips being worn, or even the home kit with no sponsor.

Hibby70
11-05-2011, 04:44 PM

Mine too. Silence is about showing some respect. Not enough of that these days imo.

I hate minute silences - just dreading someone arriving late into the ground shouting or signing (never mind idiots deliberately spoiling them).

Also they are too sombre, lets celebrate peoples lives without having to stare at the ground.

Greentinted
11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
That's a shame you can't remember any specifics, because your probably going to need photographic evidence to show that Aberdeen have taken anywhere near 3,800 to Easter Road in the last 15 or 16 years since the rebuilds started. Clue - they haven't.

Two highest-profile Hibs v Aberdeen games of recent times were the 2004/05 games. They got the whole stand. They didn't even take 3,000 either time. One of the biggest myths on this board that anyone but the Old Firm or Hearts have sold the South Stand out for a league game.

But hey, there's a dig to be had at the board, so things must be twisted.

On 3rd August 2002 (was ma eldest laddies 9th birthday party the next day) Aberdeen brought a standful to ER and the S/S walk-up was just over 3800. The reason I know is that in my former life I was matchday turnstile supervisor in that section and I recall with great clarity feeling overjoyed at the prospect of turning folks away.

erin go bragh
11-05-2011, 05:25 PM

Pretty sure we have the diet huns to thank for the minutes applause , when they abused the minutes silence when the pope had died :rolleyes:
ggtth

seanraff07
11-05-2011, 05:37 PM

There was a minutes silence for him at the East of Scotland Shield game at Tynecastle last week and it was observed very well.

Westie1875
11-05-2011, 05:44 PM

I'm a little disappointed at this as well, a lot of Hibs fans haven't had a chance to pay their respects yet this week due to work commitments so a minutes silence would have been very well observed IMO. Aberdeen had a silence at their last home match for Eddie.

I can only imagine the applause is at the family's request as I'm sure Hibs would have suggested a silence first.

FranckSuzy
11-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Whilst a minutes silence may appear more respectful and traditional, IMHO I think it should only be used for sombre affairs, i.e. where a person has met an untimely passing or was a head of state/church etc. A minutes applause, to me, is fitting for Ned as it is a celebration of the life of the man who is arguably Mr Hibernian.

Broken Gnome
11-05-2011, 06:13 PM
On 3rd August 2002 (was ma eldest laddies 9th birthday party the next day) Aberdeen brought a standful to ER and the S/S walk-up was just over 3800. The reason I know is that in my former life I was matchday turnstile supervisor in that section and I recall with great clarity feeling overjoyed at the prospect of turning folks away.

Ok, once :greengrin One occasion, first game of the season as well so enhanced numbers, does not support the idea that they regularly bring thousands and thousands or the big bad Hibs board have treated them badly. The argument stands, just :greengrin

nickwhibs
11-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Whilst a minutes silence may appear more respectful and traditional, IMHO I think it should only be used for sombre affairs, i.e. where a person has met an untimely passing or was a head of state/church etc. A minutes applause, to me, is fitting for Ned as it is a celebration of the life of the man who is arguably Mr Hibernian.

I agree :agree:. It's probably the wishes of his family too.

HibsMax
11-05-2011, 06:32 PM

I agree with this. I don't understand why being quiet for one minute is any more or less respectful than "something else". Not that I believe there would be any trouble in observing a minute of silence, consider this...it's easy to disrupt silence by making noise. Not quite as easy to disrupt noise by being silent.

Hoping for a sellout.

Anyone know if Hibernian TV is arranging anything special for those of us unable to make the swim?

Greentinted
11-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Ok, once :greengrin One occasion, first game of the season as well so enhanced numbers, does not support the idea that they regularly bring thousands and thousands or the big bad Hibs board have treated them badly. The argument stands, just :greengrin

:agree: Aye yer right, I just mind that day as being chaotic, particularly with it being the opening game. And yes, the argument stands injubitably. :greengrin

As for the minute tribute. Can't say I'm fussed so long as there is an atmosphere befitting the celebration of ET's life then, when all said and done, that's surely what truly matters.