PDA

View Full Version : Are Cardiff city a bigger club than Norwich city?

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 03:49 PM
According to Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on SSN Cardiff are a bigger club than Norwich city and are ready to go upto the premiership whilst Norwich arent in his opinion.

Id disagree, Norwich IMO are a far bigger club than Cardiff.

lapsedhibee
02-05-2011, 04:23 PM
According to Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on SSN Cardiff are a bigger club than Norwich city and are ready to go upto the premiership whilst Norwich arent in his opinion.

Where's Shaun Lawson when you desperately need a 40-page dissertation on a topic of interest? :grr:

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Cardiff 3-0 down after 20 minutes and fans walking out already.

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Where's Shaun Lawson when you desperately need a 40-page dissertation on a topic of interest? :grr:

Dinnae read my post then smartass?..Its a football forum , if you dinnae like the title subject dont read it, Yet alone post a smart ass comment.

DC_Hibs
02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Swiss Tony has got Boro in decent shape now. They probably won't end up too many points behind the last play off place which is a decent turnaround considering they were in the relegation mix at one point.

edit - 13 points behind forest if they win so a few more behind than i'd thought.

Barney McGrew
02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Cardiff 3-0 down after 20 minutes and fans walking out already.

No wonder - three down at home after 20 mins to a team that are knickers and I'd be off too.

bingo70
02-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Dinnae read my post then smartass?..Its a football forum , if you dinnae like the title subject dont read it, Yet alone post a smart ass comment.

I took that post as a dig at shaun lawson, not yourself, bit sensitive today? :greengrin

Asking who the bigger club is pretty jambo-esque.....you're no turning into one of them are you? :wink: :devil:

Hope Cardiff go up though on the grounds they're no English and Norwich are

Future17
02-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I've not voted because I'm not sure about this "bigger club" stuff that gets bandied about.

For Cardiff v Norwich, there are differing aspects to take into account.

Following: Both teams get similar average home attendances.

Squad: It could perhaps be argued that Cardiff have a slightly better squad with more experience, as they have been an established Championship club for a number of years, have progressed gradually and have been frequently challenging for promotion in recent years, whereas Norwich were in League One last season. However, Cardiff are likely to lose their two best two players in the summer in Bellamy (return to Man City or loan elsewhere) and Bothroyd (out of contract).

Manager: Although Dave Jones is a more experienced manager than Paul Lambert, the latter has a cracking record in English football. Also, it could be argued that Lambert's playing career has provided him with the sort of footballing knowledge to make up for his lack of managerial experience.

Finances: While Norwich have been looking for investment, Cardiff are a financial mess. They may not have the resources to bring in additional players to survive in the Premiership.

All in all, I would imagine it's fairly finely balanced in terms of being a "bigger club" but I'd fancy Norwich to do as well, if not better than Cardiff if promoted.

Ollie Reed
02-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I'd imagine they'd both be about the same, Andy.

Fans leaving after 20 minutes, a bit poor that.

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 04:48 PM
I took that post as a dig at shaun lawson, not yourself, bit sensitive today? :greengrin

Asking who the bigger club is pretty jambo-esque.....you're no turning into one of them are you? :wink: :devil:

Hope Cardiff go up though on the grounds they're no English and Norwich are

Oops if thats the case :greengrin

And am defo no turning Jambo-esque :hilarious

greenlex
02-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I haven't voted because I couldn't care less who is bigger or what JFH has for an opinion.

Since90+2
02-05-2011, 05:19 PM
I havent voted either as I think they are pretty much the same size of club , very much like say Aston Villa and Everton are roughly the same size of club.

lapsedhibee
02-05-2011, 05:29 PM
:shocked:

:agree:

Oops if thats the case :greengrin

:wink:

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 05:30 PM
:shocked:

:agree:

:wink:

Sorry chief :aok:

:greengrin

lucky
02-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Did the cardiff fans start singing you black Xxxxxxx to the boro player who was getting subbed? if I heard right they should get hammered for it

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Did the cardiff fans start singing you black Xxxxxxx to the boro player who was getting subbed? if I heard right they should get hammered for it

No to sure but the Boro player got booked as he was coming off.

joe breezy
02-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Norwich are a bigger club than Cardiff, bollocks, far bigger, yer having a laugh. Cardiff is a one city capital city club with fans from all over the valleys as well as Cardiff itself, Norwich is a market town in Norfolk.
In terms of football in the last 20 years though Norwich have done better, both in top flight and in Europe but they're not a bigger club

Broken Gnome
02-05-2011, 05:50 PM

If it was Marvin Emnes, more than likely "You Jack xxxxxxx".

joe breezy
02-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Yes, you jack *******, why would a non racist Cardiff support sing you black *******? What a bizarre post

iwasthere1972
02-05-2011, 06:24 PM

In terms of average attendances definitely the Canaries. Both clubs are averaging about 25K this season but if you look at least seasons average attendances I think you will find that Norwich was 25K (Division 1) whereas Cardiff City was 19K and that was in the Championship.

Their finances are probably better than Cardiff even if you only factor in the sale of Delia's cookbooks.

joe breezy
02-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Norwich are now a bigger club as they have one foot in the premiership, although if QPR get points deducted it could be Norwich and Cardiff that go up automatically

Albion Hibs
02-05-2011, 06:41 PM
IMO Norwich are a bigger club than Cardiff, maybe not by miles but definatly bigger. I went down to a couple of games at Carrow Road last time Norwich were in the Championship, I was amazed at the size of the support for what was a run of the mill game. They seem to have a strong traveling support, sell out there home ground most weeks, have a better/more achieved footballing history and would appear to be on a better financial footing.

LancashireHibby
02-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Norwich are a bigger club than Cardiff, bollocks, far bigger, yer having a laugh. Cardiff is a one city capital city club with fans from all over the valleys as well as Cardiff itself, Norwich is a market town in Norfolk.
In terms of football in the last 20 years though Norwich have done better, both in top flight and in Europe but they're not a bigger club

Makes you wonder why this season is the first in living memory that Cardiff's attendances have even come close to those of Norwich who were selling out every week in League One and have a terrific away support despite their relative isolation.

ancient hibee
02-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Any club that has the sainted Delia must be gigantic.

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Like i thought, Norwich City are a much bigger team than Cardiff city.

I knew they were...Just intreagued by feedback.

Ed De Gramo
02-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Norwich City are a much bigger club than those sheep fiddlers :agree:

WindyMiller
03-05-2011, 07:03 AM
In March, Norwich had already sold 20.5K ST's for next season.

JimBHibees
03-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Makes you wonder why this season is the first in living memory that Cardiff's attendances have even come close to those of Norwich who were selling out every week in League One and have a terrific away support despite their relative isolation.

Is that not down to the new stadium at Cardiff which has only recently been built? They previously were limited in playing at Ninian Park which may have made their crowds less than they might have been.

Personal opinion would be both teams are about the same size and arguing who was bigger would be like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

ScottB
03-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Seeing as Cardiff have spent way beyond their means over recent years I suspect this sort of nashing of teeth is the reaction to missing out again.

Unless QPR get docked a decent amount of points of course, then Cardiff could well go straight up with Norwich.

What is interesting is that there could potentially be 7 Scottish managers in the Premiership next season, 8 if Nottingham Forest sneak up as well. If only we were as good as churning out top players!

LancashireHibby
03-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Is that not down to the new stadium at Cardiff which has only recently been built? They previously were limited in playing at Ninian Park which may have made their crowds less than they might have been.

Personal opinion would be both teams are about the same size and arguing who was bigger would be like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

Think the new stadium certainly played a part, but a place the size of Cardiff (not to mention the support they draw from elsewhere in Wales) should have been posting 25,000+ averages for years.

Future17
03-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Norwich are now a bigger club as they have one foot in the premiership, although if QPR get points deducted it could be Norwich and Cardiff that go up automatically

So Cardiff were a bigger club because of location and following, whereas the last 20 years of success were irrelevant, but now that Norwich are in the Premiership they are a bigger club? :confused:

joe breezy
03-05-2011, 01:26 PM
So Cardiff were a bigger club because of location and following, whereas the last 20 years of success were irrelevant, but now that Norwich are in the Premiership they are a bigger club? :confused:

My first response was quite emotional as a Cardiff sympathiser. On reflection Norwich could claim to be bigger due to the last 20 years.
Potentially Cardiff are bigger given their surrounding area, stadium etc, Cardiff certainly have a lot in common with Hibs given their record in providing disappointment

joe breezy
03-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Looks like we'll get the chance to find out which is the biggest next season

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/9473285.stm

HibbyAndy
03-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Looks like we'll get the chance to find out which is the biggest next season

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/9473285.stm

I honestly expect QPR to get deducted points and end up in the playoffs.

The_Todd
03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Think the new stadium certainly played a part, but a place the size of Cardiff (not to mention the support they draw from elsewhere in Wales) should have been posting 25,000+ averages for years.

I'm from Cardiff, and I can tell you why there's not been 25,000 + crowds for years.

1) The stadium. Ninian Park couldn't hold 20,000 or anything like it.
2) Until about 10 years ago, Cardiff City were yo-yoing between the old Division Two and Three, at one point finishing third from bottom in Division Three. Anybody saying Cardiff would ever be even thinking about Premier League football within their lifetimes let alone a decade would have been packed off to the funny farm post haste. I remember going to Ninian Park one Thursday night and there were about 700 folk there. Saturday 3pm kickoffs attracted 1,500 to 2,000 fans.

The potential for a huge fanbase is there, it's only just started growing. We have to remember this current Cardiff City era of pushing for the big time is relatively new and coming off the back of being consigned to the doldrums for so long.

Give it time, and Cardiff will be a force to be reckoned with if they keep up the efforts of going up.

jonny
03-05-2011, 06:13 PM
I honestly expect QPR to get deducted points and end up in the playoffs.

I wonder what QPR would say if they were offered the choice of a points deduction this season that would send them into the playoffs where they might not get promoted or to a points deduction effective from the start of next season which would almost certainly relegate them for the following year.

jonny
03-05-2011, 06:15 PM
And for the record I think that Norwich are a bigger club than Cardiff. If Carrow Road had 30,000 seats it'd still sell out nearly every game

Leicester Fan
03-05-2011, 09:17 PM
From my experience I'd say Norwich were bigger.

Keith_M
03-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Just had a quick look on tinternet and Norfolk has a population of 850,000. That's more than Edinburgh and the Lothians and there's only one club. Not sure how you'd decide what Cardiff's catchment area is. You could say it was the whole of south Wales, but there's two clubs in the area as well (added to the fact that rugby is the national sport).

The thing is, you could argue endlessly about what Cardiff's potential is but there's no doubt that Norwich have been a much bigger club for decades.

NAE NOOKIE
04-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Norwich for me.

Mainly coz any club whos owner gets rat arsed and goes onto the pitch at half time to give the fans what for will do for me. Imagine the Tache doing that :greengrin

I also like Carrow Road coz it looks like a proper football ground as opposed to these off the shelf soul less pits that everybody is building these days.

Dashing Bob S
04-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Yar!! It be Naaaarich in terms of current size, but also they've achieved more than Cardiff since WW2, have played in Europe etc. (I know Cardiff have through the Welsh Cup, but Norwich did proper Europe, Bayern, Inter etc).

However, Cardiff have a huge and growing fanbase in a populous region. Swansea tend to be more West Wales than South Wales and miss out on the populous valley towns which are more CCFC.

So I'd say Norwich as things stand but Cardiff have the scope to grow bigger than Norwich could hope to.

joe breezy
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Cardiff beat Real Madrid in 1971 in Europe but of course Norwich beat Bayern Munich away a lot more recently, I think QPR will get points deducted and Cardiff will go up automatically

Bostonhibby
05-05-2011, 09:49 PM

Nae contest for me, been to both grounds, Norwich much more frequently, better atmosphere, bigger crowds, more ST's sold, much much better facilities and more modern day achievements by some way. Theres a better big team feel about Swansea and their set up than Cardiff's.

Cardiff is a big (ish) capital city, Norwich is a big prosperous city with many of the attributes of Edinbugh in my opinion (if you exclude wee Shaun) and is miles better than Cardiff as a place to go, but that doesn't necccesarily relate to the size or quality of a football club.

Bostonhibby
05-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Yar!! It be Naaaarich in terms of current size, but also they've achieved more than Cardiff since WW2, have played in Europe etc. (I know Cardiff have through the Welsh Cup, but Norwich did proper Europe, Bayern, Inter etc).

However, Cardiff have a huge and growing fanbase in a populous region. Swansea tend to be more West Wales than South Wales and miss out on the populous valley towns which are more CCFC.

So I'd say Norwich as things stand but Cardiff have the scope to grow bigger than Norwich could hope to.

Sorry to pick you up on grammar Bob, but everyone knows it's Naaarijj. Otherwise agree all you say. :greengrin