PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time you saw a GREAT game at ER.

Spike Mandela
02-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I was talking with mates the other day and between us we couldn't remember the last time we seen a GREAT game at ER.

Fast flowing , attacking football, end to end stuff, dramatic incident and great result you know the kind of thing.

When was the last time you came out of ER after a game and thought to yourself WOW that was fantastic entertanment?

truehibernian
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I was talking with mates the other day and between us we couldn't remember the last time we seen a GREAT game at ER.

Fast flowing , attacking football, end to end stuff, dramatic incident and great result you know the kind of thing.

When was the last time you came out of ER after a game and thought to yourself WOW that was fantastic entertanment?

For me the 2-2 derby was as good as it gets for a bit of everything (and so typically Hibs).

Go a goal down, sending off, penalty anxiety and relief, end to end, bookings, go 2-1 in front, typically concede, end to end again and miss a host of chances......crowd magnificent and atmosphere electric........well worth the money for me have to say all things considered. The 90 minutes flew by. But again, typically Hibernian :greengrin

ClewsHibs
02-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Think we won 3-2 on the day against celtic when boruc screwed up twice :greengrin

Golden Bear
02-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I can't honestly remember.

That says it all I suppose.

:dunno:

TrinityHibs
02-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Scotland Iceland U18's

AndersonGGTTH
02-05-2011, 01:07 PM
I would say.... Hibs2-Aberdeen0 when there was two late goals ..

Purehibee_MYB
02-05-2011, 01:12 PM
League Cup final 5-1 hibs... just cos it was an amazing day!

bighairyfaeleith
02-05-2011, 01:25 PM
League Cup final 5-1 hibs... just cos it was an amazing day!

that was played at hampden:greengrin

eastmainsmsh
02-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Aek Athens 3-2 match

When Sauzee went off injured he booted the advertising board think he knew his experience was vital if we were to qualify all the players were brilliant :flag:

scoopyboy
02-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Scotland Iceland U18's

You enjoyed it that much you didn't realise it was 21s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DarlingtonHibee
02-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Lots of games, but the Dundee United game when Matty Jack refused to throw the ball back to them, as they were time wasting, and Russell scored from the spot - think it was the 98th minute !!:thumbsup:

Ollie Reed
02-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Lots of games, but the Dundee United game when Matty Jack refused to throw the ball back to them, as they were time wasting, and Russell scored from the spot - think it was the 98th minute !!:thumbsup:

That's going back a bit, 2001? Still never understand why we got a penalty there, great scenes when he scored though.

hibsbollah
02-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Think we won 3-2 on the day against celtic when boruc screwed up twice :greengrin

Thats also mine. If youre talking about great football to watch as well as excitement the 3-3 v huns with mccans goal and boozy sending off cant be beaten. 4/ 5 years ago?

hibee_girl
02-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Thats also mine. If youre talking about great football to watch as well as excitement the 3-3 v huns with mccans goal and boozy sending off cant be beaten. 4/ 5 years ago?

That's the one I was thinking of too :agree:

Broken Gnome
02-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Think current pessimism is blinkering a few too many suggestions here, there hasn't been a great game in over a decade?? Come on now :greengrin

Hibee_Rab
02-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Remember a 3-1 game against aberdeen where zemmama scored a freekick and instead of time wasting fletcher went for goal and scored at the end. Think deano was the other hibs scorer. That was a good game.

hibsbollah
02-05-2011, 03:15 PM
That's the one I was thinking of too :agree:

It was the archetypal Mowbray game...total commitment to passing attacking football, no fear of the old firm and lots of young players on display...i bet we lost away to ICT the following week mind you:-)

joe breezy
02-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Hibs v AEK Athens, if the club was run properly we would have more European nights like that but sadly we don't seem to want it enough

3pm
02-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Goals, near misses, passion, laughs, tears and drama. Saturday's half time challenge had them all.

johnbc70
02-05-2011, 04:48 PM
This game > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4468190.stm

Probably best I have seen us play at ER for a long time. Should have been 4 or 5 as we totally dominated them.

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
This game > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4468190.stm

Probably best I have seen us play at ER for a long time. Should have been 4 or 5 as we totally dominated them.

I remember that game so well :agree:

We absolute dominated that match from start to finish With Kevin Thomson simply outstanding that day..Had the Crab in his back pocket for 90 minutes plus..Infact it makes me sad when i think of that team and passion and energy,Drive we had then to the pathetic sorry non tryers we have now. How did we get so bad in such a short period of time.

Sumner
02-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Hibs 5, Dundee 1: August 12, 2000

.. that was pretty great.. while back though

IWasThere2016
02-05-2011, 05:19 PM
At ER v Sheep 3-2 or 3-3 under JC - Deano came on and changed the game after Maka gifted them two I think. Think it was 3-3 the more I think about it.

2-1 v Arabs under Mixu - Deeks' first game back. Fletch double. Was entertaining.

But shameful that we have to go so far back!

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 05:24 PM

I remember that game well tae..went 1-0 down early doors, Latapy missed a penalty and we hit the woodwork 3 times and they got a man or 2 sent off..Agathe scored twice and his 1st goal was simply sublime.

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 05:25 PM
At ER v Sheep 3-2 or 3-3 under JC - Deano came on and changed the game after Maka gifted them two I think. Think it was 3-3 the more I think about it.

2-1 v Arabs under Mixu - Deeks' first game back. Fletch double. Was entertaining.

1st game of the season.3-3.

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Naw it wasnae :greengrin

Deeks mis hit pass sent Sproule racing through and he buried it :wink:

Ritchie
02-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Last season when we beat Motherwell 2-0.
stokes got both goals.

Was the first time I seen us play nice football since the Mowbray days.... Not seen us play nice football since

Broken Gnome
02-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Depends how 'great' is defined - most here would pick something like 6-2 as Hibs themselves being great and a particularly momentous game, or 7-0 v Livi as run-of-the-mill game with a memorable tangent.

If you want great by BOTH teams contributing somewhere near equally to the game either being high-quality or at least exciting, unfortunately something like a 6-6 it would probably be.... Hibs 3-4 Morton? But happily I wasn't there, so I can't say that. Probably 3-3 vs Aberdeen in 2007, but plenty Old Firm, Hearts and Aberdeen games from the 2004 onwards period.

iwasthere1972
02-05-2011, 06:30 PM

Without doubt certainly not this season. I would guess 3 or 4 years ago either against the Yams or the Old Firm.

coco22
02-05-2011, 06:41 PM

the 3-3 sheep game immediately sprung to mind for genuine up and down emotional stuff. maka had a total shocker but deano was immense. was my dads 60th birthday so took hospitality and, totally unplanned, had pat stanton as a guest at our table - a true gentleman and one of my old boys heroes as well. great day, great game

Frogga
02-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I really enjoyed the two games (3-1 (I think it was) and 6-6) at Fir Park last season.

Liam Miller had his best game in a Hibs shirt imo in the 3-1. He was absolutely outstanding and fought for every ball and controlled the midfield.

The 6-6 was disappointing in the manner in which it happenend but (removing my Hibs specs) was truly the greatest game I've ever been to in my life!

TRC
02-05-2011, 08:15 PM
5-1 last year v Hamilton we played really well that day!!:thumbsup:

Andy74
02-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Three games v Motherwell last year, Hamilton 5-1. Opener this year v Motherwell. Nothing really since then.

happiehibbie
03-05-2011, 11:30 AM
simple AEK

mon the cabbage
03-05-2011, 03:32 PM
It wasnt even hibs playing.

it was Scotland u21s v Iceland u21s

mon the cabbage
03-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I really enjoyed the two games (3-1 (I think it was) and 6-6) at Fir Park last season.

Liam Miller had his best game in a Hibs shirt imo in the 3-1. He was absolutely outstanding and fought for every ball and controlled the midfield.

The 6-6 was disappointing in the manner in which it happenend but (removing my Hibs specs) was truly the greatest game I've ever been to in my life!

same.:agree:

Springbank
03-05-2011, 04:22 PM
there have been quite a few since 2004 (i think people are just down at the moment, but under Mogga and JC we had more media and scouting people at ER than away fans!! we were that good to watch)

Leaving aside league derby wins (including the 2-1 game where Benji restored our pride a bit then ran the length of the West stand!), and leaving aside wins v Celtic and Rangers mentioned above, the 2 wins that stick out for me from the last decade were:

1) the 81% game, total domination, 1-0 in JC's first game en route to the cup!

2) the day that Mogga's team came of age .. the Golden Generation ripped a useful Aberdeen team apart in December 2004, we won 2-1 with Deeks scoring at the away end, Stephen Glass scoring a raker to win it at the other end, and I think Diamond nicked one for them. I actually really enjoy Hibs-Aberdeen games and this one was a classic, and an important milestone that season (along with the "easy easy" game at Tynie where Deano scored the winner later that season).

I'll plump for the Hibs 2 Aberdeen 1 game in 2004 as my favourite, but there have been other more recent ones under JC and Mogga

Spike Mandela
05-05-2011, 08:58 AM
there have been quite a few since 2004 (i think people are just down at the moment, but under Mogga and JC we had more media and scouting people at ER than away fans!! we were that good to watch)

Leaving aside league derby wins (including the 2-1 game where Benji restored our pride a bit then ran the length of the West stand!), and leaving aside wins v Celtic and Rangers mentioned above, the 2 wins that stick out for me from the last decade were:

1) the 81% game, total domination, 1-0 in JC's first game en route to the cup!

2) the day that Mogga's team came of age .. the Golden Generation ripped a useful Aberdeen team apart in December 2004, we won 2-1 with Deeks scoring at the away end, Stephen Glass scoring a raker to win it at the other end, and I think Diamond nicked one for them. I actually really enjoy Hibs-Aberdeen games and this one was a classic, and an important milestone that season (along with the "easy easy" game at Tynie where Deano scored the winner later that season).

I'll plump for the Hibs 2 Aberdeen 1 game in 2004 as my favourite, but there have been other more recent ones under JC and Mogga

I find it interesting that most people find it difficult to remember the last time they saw a great game at ER. Like many so far I would have to probably go back to the Mowbray/Collins era to pick out a game.

Surely there is no more damning indictment of the turgid, craftless and pasionless displays we have seen from our team in the last few years. Even without the good players we had under TM/JC you would think we would have enough endeavour and fight to create a memorable game but it doesn't appear so.

Is it time to revisit the cinema if we want entertainment?

proud_and_green
05-05-2011, 01:06 PM
when we beat Rangers 2-1 under Mowbray, their best bit came from a mistake by david Murphy who let Barry ferguson in to score their goal. That was their only part in that match we outplayed them across the park and played some of the best and most entertaining football i have ever seen.

I remeber saying to my daughter that she should savour this because it was some of the best footbal she was evr likely to see at ER.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Hibs 4 Gretna 2, 2 goals down, and fought back to win. Alan O'Briens best game for the club. The way he tracked back and cleared the ball out for a throw in was just a joy to behold. A magic moment i certainly will never forget.

dangermouse
05-05-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm hoping it will be on the 14th of this month. :rolleyes:

Alfred E Newman
05-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I am more worried about how long it will be before we next see a great game at ER. Looks like grinding out results will be the norm next season.

KWJ
05-05-2011, 09:14 PM
To end a bit of negativity on here I'll come forward and admit that the last game I really enjoyed and walked away with a buzz was when we beat St. Mirren 2-0 with Deeks and Wotherspoon scoring. We saw lots of new players, the boys got stuck in whilst playing some good fitbaw AND we had that huge sense of relief when we finally scored.

I was a happy laddie that night.

one day maybe...
05-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Wednesday 4th Sep
Scottish league cup 1985

Hibernian 4 Celtic 4 :not worth
Won on pens after Rogan skyed it over the bar

Saturday 8th of March
Scottish Cup 1986

Hibernian 4 Celtic 3 :not worth

Two great games, oh aye and I was only 18/19 :greengrin

since90plustwo
05-05-2011, 10:33 PM
hibs 3-3 with rangers few years back, brilliant game of football, mccann scored an absolute belter that game

Billy McKirdy
05-05-2011, 11:06 PM

that was a LONG time ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBQlenWbBk lol surely there was a game or two to equal that one? like the 6-2 match? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad28fo935UA

HibbyAndy
06-05-2011, 12:49 AM
I honestly hand on heart couldnt tell you the last time i walked away from Easter rd saying 'wow'. We have been crap for what seems like years.

Peevemor
06-05-2011, 12:50 AM
I honestly hand on heart couldnt tell you the last time i walked away from Easter rd saying 'wow'. We have been crap for what seems like years.

You didn't go to see Sir Elton then? :greengrin

HibbyAndy
06-05-2011, 12:52 AM
You didn't go to see Sir Elton then? :greengrin

Nae chance :greengrin

seamus88
06-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Get hot for this because it felt like a defeat but the 4-4 against dundee what a game 1-0 down 4-1 up riordan scores to make it 5-1 but gets ruled off-side then they score 3 times to draw!! What a game!! Typical hibs tho :wink:

Thecat23
06-05-2011, 08:24 AM

That was superb that game. Dundee were flying and i mind one of their fans saying they would pump us, brought down a good support. I was sat with Zitelli in the old boxes in the main stand that day and he couldn't believe how good we were. Think we either just signed him or were about too.

Agathe's goal for me is the best i've seen at ER. He beat just about every Dundee player on the park who were trying to boot him as well. If i'd scored a goal like that i'd just walk off the park and retire. :greengrin

leither17
06-05-2011, 08:50 AM
4-2 against aberdeen when benji got 2 and I think michael stewart scored a peach and then was sick and got subbed

HibbyAndy
06-05-2011, 11:36 AM
4-2 against aberdeen when benji got 2 and I think michael stewart scored a peach and then was sick and got subbed

4-1 mate...Stewart scored a screamer clean on the volley fae a corner.

hibsbollah
06-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Hibs 4 Gretna 2, 2 goals down, and fought back to win. Alan O'Briens best game for the club. The way he tracked back and cleared the ball out for a throw in was just a joy to behold. A magic moment i certainly will never forget.

I remember that game well, although i remember it more for Fletcher and Zemmama being incredible and unplayable than for Mr AOB:greengrin

soproni1
06-05-2011, 12:06 PM
when we beat Rangers 2-1 under Mowbray, their best bit came from a mistake by david Murphy who let Barry ferguson in to score their goal. That was their only part in that match we outplayed them across the park and played some of the best and most entertaining football i have ever seen.

I remeber saying to my daughter that she should savour this because it was some of the best footbal she was evr likely to see at ER.

This is probably my favourite game. It hurts to think how good we were at that time - probably didn't appreciate it enough either.

Best bit was Alex Rae gettin hooked after about half an hour for them - think we were already 2-0 up at that stage

Killiehibbie
06-05-2011, 03:19 PM
6-2 was the last time I came out feeling 10 foot tall having witnessed something special.

HibbyAndy
06-05-2011, 05:23 PM
6-2 was the last time I came out feeling 10 foot tall having witnessed something special.

I came away from that game in utter disbelief why why didnt take TEN goals of them.

Seriously.Hibs battered Hearts that night, And if it wasnt for Niemi...

iwasthere1972
06-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Although it eventually ended in a 4-4 draw after us leading 4-1 I thoroughly enjoyed this game.

We played like Brazil that day. Or was it Barcelona or Real Madrid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7tTGZAw4Jo