PDA

View Full Version : A moving tribute to Eddie Turnbull

bob12345
01-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Not sure if this merits a thread of its own or not, mods feel free to move it if deemed no.

For those of you who didn't know Eddie personally, this aspiring young player speaks volumes...

http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/news-a-media/featured-news/2374-eddie-turnbull-tribute-by-daniel-shields

FranckSuzy
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM
What a great read :top marks

This bit made me chuckle 'it didn’t take me long to realise that the old man who used to watch me play football in the park was much much more than your average football loving pensioner'. :greengrin

hibsbollah
01-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Very moving and very well written. Assuming the guy doesnt make it in football he could certainly make a career by writing.

Ollie Reed
01-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Superb.

BullbreedHFC
01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
great tribute from a young hibby to a legend :aok: well done Daniel :agree:

PapillonVert
01-05-2011, 09:31 PM
To paraphrase a couple of things:

A pet hate: playing one up front at home.

The ball: learn to love it - you can do nothing without it.

Eddie - you knew instinctively that it was all so simple and all so obvious! I bet the modern self-styled "gurus" drove you to distraction.

Jonnyboy
01-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Tears to my eyes

A fantastic tribute :agree:

The Harp
01-05-2011, 09:51 PM
What a super tribute. :top marks I surmise Daniel will only be aged 17. To have written such a moving piece at such a young age is quite an achievement. I agree with hibsbollah, if Daniel doesn't make it in football, his writing skills could lead to a career in sports journalism.
Well done that young man! :aok:

IberianHibernian
01-05-2011, 10:03 PM
What a super tribute. :top marks I surmise Daniel will only be aged 17. To have written such a moving piece at such a young age is quite an achievement. I agree with hibsbollah, if Daniel doesn't make it in football, his writing skills could lead to a career in sports journalism.
Well done that young man! :aok:Exactly . I`m too young to remember ET as a player but am lucky enough to remember the great teams of early 70s ( ours and Aberdeen`s - ironically one of my greatest memories as a Hibernian is being at our win against Turnbull`s Aberdeen team in January 1971 on day of Joe Baker`s return - only day I`ve seen Hibees cry ) .

bob12345
02-05-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm sure Daniel would be delighted at the amount of people this has reached through Hibs.net

He is indeed a talented writer, but an equally good footballer. He writes a blog for us every couple of weeks, which by the sounds of it quite a few of you would enoy. You can read it at http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/news-a-media/yfs-blogs/655-the-make-or-break-years