PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 30th April 1978

Hillsidehibby
01-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Pat Stantons Testimonial.

Anyone go to this game?

I remember a huge crowd and it was freezing!

God I am getting old!

kaimendhibs
01-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I was there. Sure it was against celtic, cant mind the score? Was it2-2?

cabbageandribs1875
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
i was there :greengrin was the crowd not about 26k or thereabouts ? sir pat is on sportsound just now talking about eddie turnbull

Hibs Class
01-05-2011, 11:26 AM
I was there. Sure it was against celtic, cant mind the score? Was it2-2?

2-1 for Hibs if I remember correctly. Think Pat may have scored a penalty.

Hillsidehibby
01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Pat did score a penalty, and Joe Jordan got Hibs other goal!!

iwasthere1972
01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.celticprogrammesonline.com/PROGRAMME%20COVERS/7778/PatStanton/pat_stanton_7778h.htm

King Paddy. :aok:

Edina Erin
01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
My first game. Also remember the half time "entertainment".

Capt Mainwaring
01-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Was at the game - still got my ticket for the centre stand (£2).

Republican Flute band played and marched round the pitch at half time!

I think Pat swapped teams at half time.

To be fair there was a big celtic support. I think Kenny Dalglish was mean't to play for them but didn't make it

tanfield
01-05-2011, 12:47 PM
First game I can remember going to

Bishop Hibee
01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I was there. No choice in the matter as my family all held Pat in such high esteem and went en masse. I remember the big crowd and the chance to see guys like Jordan who were massive stars at the time.

Sadly no doubt due to players' contracts, this type of friendly is almost unheard of now.

Keith_M
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Republican Flute band played and marched round the pitch at half time!

Seriously? At Easter Road? I'm surprised Tom Hart would have allowed that.

Capt Mainwaring
01-05-2011, 01:50 PM

I think they were called the Woolftones - might be mistaken but defo remember them giving it big licks in front of the Dunbar End.

Keith_M
01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
I think they were called the Woolftones - might be mistaken but defo remember them giving it big licks in front of the Dunbar End.

Had segregation started at that time (therefore it was the Celtc End)? My memory's a bit hazy about exactly when it was brought in.

What we'd give to be able to get 26,000 people at Easter Road nowadays, never mind for a friendly.

offshorehibby
01-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Definitely seem to recall a republican flute band at half time.

Not the Wolfe Tones their an Irish 'Folk' band who happen to be playing Malones next week

Malthibby
01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Still got the programme somewhere. Good day spoiled by some Provo lovers going around with collecting tins. Got a GTF reception in the lower West.
GG

fatbloke
01-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Remember them getting pelters for their choice of outfits and music.

JohnScott
01-05-2011, 03:58 PM

No more surprised than we Hibees in the Cowshed when they tried to play at our end. They quickly got the message and pissed off sharpish! Your bang on about Tom Hart given it was he that got rid of the IRA bampots from our support. Can remember well watching fans having to give up their tricolours and other supporters drowning out the idiots singing songs like "lord mountbatten had a bomb." What he did makes a mockery of the Old Firms attempts (more than 30 years later) to get rid of their bigots. Even witnessed a police officer at Morton taking a tricolour of a Hibs fan back then with the remark "they're no your colours!"

The testimonial game was played close to two competitive Celtic games one of which I remember their fans battling each other in the Dunbar end. Can't remember why but it could be it was stuffing them 4 - 1!!!! Get it up yis!

Crab apple
01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Great memories. Huge crowd. I remember my Dad took me and my brother and him giving some Weedgie one of our programmes after a typical sob story. I spoke to Pat last year about the game and he said that the ref was always going to give him a penalty that day. Sadly Roy Baines didn't go along with the script and saved the first attempt. Penalty retaken and Sir Pat scored.

heretoday
01-05-2011, 04:58 PM

It's true. There was a flute band in green tops marching round. I recall a few raised eyebrows at that. In fact the Celtic presence rather spoiled the party on the day.

Alfred E Newman
01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Still got the programme somewhere. Good day spoiled by some Provo lovers going around with collecting tins. Got a GTF reception in the lower West.GG

In 1978?

proud_and_green
01-05-2011, 05:54 PM
It's true. There was a flute band in green tops marching round. I recall a few raised eyebrows at that. In fact the Celtic presence rather spoiled the party on the day.

Aye, they were wearing berets and dark glasses. And guys wandering around collecting "for the boys".

Alfred E Newman
01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Aye, they were wearing berets and dark glasses. And guys wandering around collecting "for the boys".

I think it left a bad taste in most Hibs supporters mouths. Spoilt what should have been a great occasion.

Davy Mac
01-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Sat in the cowshed with the family, magic colour of green and white all around.

Don't remember all the nonsense going on around me probably because I was tucking in to a packet of smaks, a wagon wheel or a macaroon bar.

Sadly, did Pat not got to Smeltic that summer?

WindyMiller
01-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Sat in the cowshed with the family, magic colour of green and white all around.

Don't remember all the nonsense going on around me probably because I was into smak, a wagon wheel or a macaroon bar.

Sadly, did Pat not got to Smeltic that summer?

Edited.:wink:

Pat went to Celtc in 1976.:boo hoo:

Davy Mac
01-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Edited.:wink:

:greengrin

Pat went to Celtc in 1976.:boo hoo:

:brickwall

IberianHibernian
01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
No more surprised than we Hibees in the Cowshed when they tried to play at our end. They quickly got the message and pissed off sharpish! Your bang on about Tom Hart given it was he that got rid of the IRA bampots from our support. Can remember well watching fans having to give up their tricolours and other supporters drowning out the idiots singing songs like "lord mountbatten had a bomb." What he did makes a mockery of the Old Firms attempts (more than 30 years later) to get rid of their bigots. Even witnessed a police officer at Morton taking a tricolour of a Hibs fan back then with the remark "they're no your colours!"

The testimonial game was played close to two competitive Celtic games one of which I remember their fans battling each other in the Dunbar end. Can't remember why but it could be it was stuffing them 4 - 1!!!! Get it up yis!

I remember part of our support on main terracing near fence to Cave demanding band to come down and perform at our end too. 4-1 game nearly ended in riot after our goalie Mike McDonald raised boot on oncoming Celtic striker (Tom McAdam I think ) . By then our team was in decline ( relegated a couple of years later ) and Celtic were also nothing like team they`d been a few years earlier .