PDA

View Full Version : Statue of Eddie Turnbull

KiddA
01-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I think the club should make an effort to build a statue of Eddie Turnbull. He has achieved so much as a player and a manager with Hibs and he is a true Hibernian legend.

I think this or the complete famous five. I know we named a stand after them but I think the club should do this at any cost.

Thoughts please fellow Hibbys

Sammy7nil
01-05-2011, 12:07 AM
it would be a good gesture, i can,t think of anyone else who would desrve such a tribute moerw than Mr Turbull :agree:

thekaratekid
01-05-2011, 12:31 AM
"The club wish to acknowledge more formally his contribution at the appropriate time after consultation with his family."

Sounds like the Tache is already on the case.

What about renaming a stand?

Matty_Jack04
01-05-2011, 02:06 AM
"The club wish to acknowledge more formally his contribution at the appropriate time after consultation with his family."

Sounds like the Tache is already on the case.

What about renaming a stand?
I was thinking this myself maybe the east stand, altho i agree with the post above there isnt anyone more fitting of a statue outside ER than mr.turnbull, my only worry would be vandalism so maybe something at the training centre would b a better idea?

Forza Fred
01-05-2011, 04:50 AM
I was thinking this myself maybe the east stand, altho i agree with the post above there isnt anyone more fitting of a statue outside ER than mr.turnbull, my only worry would be vandalism so maybe something at the training centre would b a better idea?

Devil's Advocate time

No disrespect to Eddie, whom I admired as a player and a manager, and have personally met, but at what point having built a statue outside, would we so 'NO 'to any such future a requests, without causing offence to some?.

Lawrie Reilly is the last of the famous five, Pat Stanton, although spritely is close to 65, Jimmy O'Rrourke likewise, Alex Cropley etc...everybody has their favourites, and they/we won;t live forever - and such a noble gesture could see statues populate the gound's surroundings.
The naming of a stand of the collective famous five is surely a fitting tribute in itself is it not?

joe breezy
01-05-2011, 05:05 AM
Devil's Advocate time

No disrespect to Eddie, whom I admired as a player and a manager, and have personally met, but at what point having built a statue outside, would we so 'NO 'to any such future a requests, without causing offence to some?.

Lawrie Reilly is the last of the famous five, Pat Stanton, although spritely is close to 65, Jimmy O'Rrourke likewise, Alex Cropley etc...everybody has their favourites, and they/we won;t live forever - and such a noble gesture could see statues populate the gound's surroundings.
The naming of a stand of the collective famous five is surely a fitting tribute in itself is it not?

I agree with this, there was a campaign for a Joe Baker statue on the Hibees Bounce site, i contributed money to it and don't know if it came to anything.

There's a Famous Five stand already.

Beefster
01-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Devil's Advocate time

IMHO, it's not about favourites, it's about contribution and feeling for Hibernian FC.

Eddie Turnbull was a legend in our greatest ever team, played for Hibs for 13 years, only played for Hibs, went on to manage Hibs and also led one of the greatest Hibs teams in the last 50 years.

Guys like Alex Cropley, Jimmy O'Rourke and Franck Sauzee may be, rightly, considered as legends but they are not in the same league as someone like Eddie Turnbull. Nowhere near it.

For what it's worth, I'd love Hibs to commission a 'Famous Five' statue.

Phil D. Rolls
01-05-2011, 06:42 AM
I think it's best to allow some time to pass before turning thoughts to matters like statues.

lucky
01-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Devil's Advocate time

No doubt all the above have contributed but have any of them more than ET? 3 league titles as a player and a League cup and Drybrough cup as a manager. He has won more than any other Hibernian. as well as masterminding the 7-0 thrashing of Hearts . As such he deserves to be honoured.

joe breezy
01-05-2011, 08:56 AM
I think everyone would agree he deserves to be honoured, just depends how I suppose, he is head and shoulders above most, if not all others due to his service as a great manager as well as a great player.

Baldy Foghorn
01-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I think it's best to allow some time to pass before turning thoughts to matters like statues.

Exactly, far too early to be discussing such matters

grantonhibee
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
even tho we have a famous five stand i feel it would be a great gesture to have a statue of all famous five members for what they accomplished.:flag:

vuefrom1875
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Whilst i'm in total agreement re statue to Eddie Turnbull,these awards are normally carried out posthumously.

Ryan91
01-05-2011, 10:30 AM
There are many great legends, if anything I think that a bust of Eddie and 4 others for the other members of that great quintet should be commissioned. They have a stand named after them so a statue outside the ground maybe too much, although it would be a good idea to show the next generation of Hibees and say 'see those 5 men? They were 5 of the greatest players to ever pull on the green and white of Hibernian'.

Scouse Hibee
01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm sure there will be many opinions about statues, stands etc all of which I'm sure will be given consideration by the club. Personally speaking I love the Shankly gates at Anfield and think an imposing set of gates similar in style would be a superb tribute and addition to the new east stand entrance.

heretoday
01-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Statue to the Famous Five would be good. Not just any one individual.

Elephant Stone
01-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Whilst i'm in total agreement re statue to Eddie Turnbull,these awards are normally carried out posthumously.

He died yesterday, mate

Black Kyle
01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
IMHO, it's not about favourites, it's about contribution and feeling for Hibernian FC.

Eddie Turnbull was a legend in our greatest ever team, played for Hibs for 13 years, only played for Hibs, went on to manage Hibs and also led one of the greatest Hibs teams in the last 50 years.

Guys like Alex Cropley, Jimmy O'Rourke and Franck Sauzee may be, rightly, considered as legends but they are not in the same league as someone like Eddie Turnbull. Nowhere near it.

For what it's worth, I'd love Hibs to commission a 'Famous Five' statue.

My 15yo suggested the same on hearing the sad news...special players at a special time for the club.

Pretty Boy
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
even tho we have a famous five stand i feel it would be a great gesture to have a statue of all famous five members for what they accomplished.:flag:

A statue depicting the famous training photograph would look fantastic.

I'm sure there will come a more appropraite time when such matters will be discussed between the club and supporters association.

Dashing Bob S
01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I'd like to see our current legends similarly honoured. Perhaps we could have one of Deeks, so that we could see if he could beat it for pace over ten yards.

Seveno
01-05-2011, 05:20 PM
I would like to see the Club take up a collection for a statue at the next home game so that fans can both make a contribution but also feel part of it. He was such an important part of our club.

Purehibee_MYB
01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
There's loads of space outside the new East Stand that would be great to have a statue there...as well as the idea of the shankly gates...either way something must be done at some point to honour the true hibs legend

CropleyWasGod
01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Devil's Advocate time

Devil's devil's advocate time. I reckon we should make statues of all of the above, and stick them straight in the first team.

hibsbollah
01-05-2011, 07:18 PM
I'd like to see our current legends similarly honoured. Perhaps we could have one of Deeks, so that we could see if he could beat it for pace over ten yards.

Could he be holding a bottle of 'Blue WKD' in the likeness? If so i think its a winner.

Fife-Hibee
01-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Sorry if its been posted already as i have not read the whole thread. I believe there is going to be some form of tribute to the great man on the 14th when we play Aberdeen. Would be very fitting as he done so well for both clubs...:flag:

Phil D. Rolls
02-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Exactly, far too early to be discussing such matters

I reckon Ned would respond to all this sentiment with his most famous catch phrase. Still, it seems that since Diana, there are people who can't avoid making a big production about one of life's inevitabilities.

Beefster
02-05-2011, 07:38 AM
I reckon Ned would respond to all this sentiment with his most famous catch phrase. Still, it seems that since Diana, there are people who can't avoid making a big production about one of life's inevitabilities.

We should never honour anyone who dies because everyone dies?

Phil D. Rolls
02-05-2011, 07:44 AM
We should never honour anyone who dies because everyone dies?

Not what I said, but can we at least wait until he's in the ground before getting into big debates? There's a time and a place.

sahib
02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
I think the club should make an effort to build a statue of Eddie Turnbull. He has achieved so much as a player and a manager with Hibs and he is a true Hibernian legend.

I think this or the complete famous five. I know we named a stand after them but I think the club should do this at any cost.

If we get them life like enough, we could maybe start with them up front next season.

Greentinted
02-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I think I've said before on this platform that I don't know why tributes and accolades always tend to occur post-mortem. Why not do it when those being celebrated can enjoy it.
I'd love to see a statue of the iconic 'Five' training picture located within the Easter Road environs and perhaps even being unveiled by Lawrie Reilly.

blackpoolhibs
02-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I'd like to see a statue of the famous 5 made, and put high up on the outside of west stand.I'm not sure if we could do this, but its something to concider.

We do have too many ********s who support other clubs that probably would deface a statue on the ground.

Having it mounted high up in the middle of the new west stand would firstly look great, but probably also save it from the idiots looking to throw paint over it or even smash it with a hammer or suchlike?

(((Fergus)))
02-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Exactly. If they do make a statue it should include a speech bubble with that phrase.

Phil D. Rolls
16-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Well, the dust has settled. Is it still a good idea, or has a bit of time put a bit more perspective on Ned's place in Hibs history?

Personally, I think his managerial record was good. However, he did get royally shafted in a couple of cup finals, failed to deliver the goods in Europe, and blew the league a couple of times. This at a time when Hibs were big spenders.

Latterly, he lost the plot as he tried to rebuild the team. He was probably the least accomplished player of the famous five. He used to tell supporters to ***** off. That's my case against.

By the way, I liked the man.

iwasthere1972
16-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I hope this statue doesn't cost as much as the £50 million that Chelsea paid for theirs.

Phil D. Rolls
16-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I hope this statue doesn't cost as much as the £50 million that Chelsea paid for theirs.

I didn't even know he had a Chelsea connection, let alone they'd want to spend that much on a statue of him. Maybe we could get a loan of it like they lend us players sometimes. :greengrin

SmokieJoe
16-05-2011, 11:24 AM

It would be a great idea, and yes the complete famous five.

Baker9
16-05-2011, 03:39 PM
There are many great legends, if anything I think that a bust of Eddie and 4 others for the other members of that great quintet should be commissioned. They have a stand named after them so a statue outside the ground maybe too much, although it would be a good idea to show the next generation of Hibees and say 'see those 5 men? They were 5 of the greatest players to ever pull on the green and white of Hibernian'.

I always feel sorry for the less famous six that made up the rest of that great team.

Bostonhibby
16-05-2011, 05:44 PM

:agree:One of many who could fill the statue role this season?:wink: