PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Turnbull tribute article

HNA4
30-04-2011, 09:37 PM
The Hibernian family lost one of its own today.

The term 'legend' is often bandied around and discussed lightly but Eddie 'Ned' Turnbull is one truly deserving of the accolade.

Read Jonnyboy's tribute to the great man on the front page...

Here... (http://www.hibs.net/content.php?164-A-tribute-to-Ned)

Hibby D
30-04-2011, 09:43 PM
:top marks

Good read JC :agree:

Removed
30-04-2011, 09:46 PM
:agree:

First player to score for a British club in a European competition :not worth

iwasthere1972
30-04-2011, 09:58 PM
An excellent tribute JC.

Things could have turned out so different had Ned been tempted to move to Manchester United. Instead he chose to stay at Hibs and the rest is history.

Westie1875
30-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Great tribute, this (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/eddie-turnbull-12-04-1923-30-04-2011-1.1098852) is also a good read.

Patricia B
01-05-2011, 07:31 AM
The Hibernian family lost one of its own today.

The term 'legend' is often bandied around and discussed lightly but Eddie 'Ned' Turnbull is one truly deserving of the accolade.

Read Jonnyboy's tribute to the great man on the front page...

Here... (http://www.hibs.net/content.php?164-A-tribute-to-Ned)

RIP Eddie GGTTH 7-0 god bless

Mikey
01-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Nice one John :aok:

marinello59
01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that JC.

Jonnyboy
01-05-2011, 09:29 PM

Correct Billy and what a pity the English media is too busy talking up Man U for this season's final. I wager they've never heard of Eddie or the fact that as part of a magnificent Hibs side he helped reach the first ever Semi Final of what became the Champions League

PapillonVert
01-05-2011, 09:57 PM

I read somewhere that the Rot Weiss Essen v. Hibs game was actually the 1st ever European Cup game (and, therefore, the 1st ever competitive European intra-club game). Could have been around the time of the 50th anniversary when we played Dnipro that I read that article???

Now, I don't know if that is true, but if it is, that means that Eddie was not only the 1st British player but the 1st ever player to score in any European club competition.

No doubt you historian people can look into that.

PapillonVert
01-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Correct Billy and what a pity the English media is too busy talking up Man U for this season's final. I wager they've never heard of Eddie or the fact that as part of a magnificent Hibs side he helped reach the first ever Semi Final of what became the Champions League

You, Mr. Campbell, might be the very historian chappie I was referring to in my previous post! :greengrin:agree:

Jane

Jonnyboy
01-05-2011, 10:11 PM
You, Mr. Campbell, might be the very historian chappie I was referring to in my previous post! :greengrin:agree:

Jane

The first ever European Cup game took place on the afternoon of 4th September 1955 in Lisbon when Sporting Lisbon played out a 3-3 draw with Partizan Belgrade, and the first European Cup goal was scored by Sporting's Joao Baptista Martins.

Hibs played Rot Weiss on 14th September Jane and so Eddie missed out by ten days

PapillonVert
01-05-2011, 10:35 PM
The first ever European Cup game took place on the afternoon of 4th September 1955 in Lisbon when Sporting Lisbon played out a 3-3 draw with Partizan Belgrade, and the first European Cup goal was scored by Sporting's Joao Baptista Martins.

Hibs played Rot Weiss on 14th September Jane and so Eddie missed out by ten days

Thanks, John, I did find something on Wiki which confirms there were 3 games in the week or so prior to Hibs game in Germany on 14 September 1955.

ET scored two goals with Lawrie Reilly and Williie Ormond also contributing in a 0 -4 away win against the German champions.

I was four months and 1 week old when this all happened!!

hibbybrian
02-05-2011, 04:01 AM

Eddie had a pretty good scoring record v Manchester United -

Mar 1952 Man U 1 Hibernian 1 (Turnbull)

Sep 1953 Hibernian 7 Man U 3 (Turnbull 3 and had a penalty saved)

Sep 1955 Hibernian 5 Man U 0 (Turnbull 1)

RIP Eddie Turnbull :not worth

The Harp
02-05-2011, 02:27 PM

Yeah, mention of Eddie's passing should've been aired on MOTD2 last night, particularly as mention was made of the deaths of two non-football guys (Henry Cooper and Ted Lowe). Eddie is one of the most respected figures in the history of the Scottish game, not just from a Hibs perspective. For a football program to omit the death of the first British goal scorer in European competition is shocking IMO.