PDA

View Full Version : No marks-just thoughts

ancient hibee
30-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Divis big lump of a lad who doesn't command his goal area-looked likely to lose a goal from every cross-most of which he failed to get.He can go.

Towell most accomplished defender on the park.

Dickoh/Stephens-disastrous pairing.

Hanlon-good centre half out of position-nightmare performance.

Scott -will never be more than a midfield runner-may pay off when heavy ground.

Stevenson-will never be a central midfielder-OK to fill in at left back or wide left in an emergency or from time to time-but that's all.

Palsson -best in front of defence -hopeless further forward-needs good players to give the ball to.

Booth a good left back who will never be a midfielder at this level.

Vaz Te-does good things from time to time but not often enough-may be worth keeping if better forward players brought in.

Sodje-good whole hearted display-took goalvery coolly.

Subs. Shambolic use of subs-Wotherspoon and Galbraith not sure where they were supposed to play.Half the team trying to get instructions.

If this defence or midfield ever play together again we'll know that CC has succumbed to the madness which inflicts our managers from time to time.

matty_f
30-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Totally agree about the subs. Needlessly changed the shape of the team and allowed st johnstone into the game.
Thought by and large that the whole team were rank today.

3pm
30-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Divis big lump of a lad who doesn't command his goal area-looked likely to lose a goal from every cross-most of which he failed to get.He can go.

Towell most accomplished defender on the park.

Dickoh/Stephens-disastrous pairing.

Hanlon-good centre half out of position-nightmare performance.

Scott -will never be more than a midfield runner-may pay off when heavy ground.

Stevenson-will never be a central midfielder-OK to fill in at left back or wide left in an emergency or from time to time-but that's all.

Palsson -best in front of defence -hopeless further forward-needs good players to give the ball to.

Booth a good left back who will never be a midfielder at this level.

Vaz Te-does good things from time to time but not often enough-may be worth keeping if better forward players brought in.

Sodje-good whole hearted display-took goalvery coolly.

Subs. Shambolic use of subs-Wotherspoon and Galbraith not sure where they were supposed to play.Half the team trying to get instructions.

If this defence or midfield ever play together again we'll know that CC has succumbed to the madness which inflicts our managers from time to time.

Has Richie Towell got pictures of you in a compromising position or a Hearts top? Better than Mark Wilson and now he is accomplished. Jesus.

ancient hibee
30-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Has Richie Towell got pictures of you in a compromising position or a Hearts top? Better than Mark Wilson and now he is composed. Jesus.
Sorry I never bandy words with numpties.

500miles
30-04-2011, 05:10 PM
To be honest, I thought we strolled the game for the most part. We didn't take our chances though, and late in the game, the concentration lapsed and we paid for it.

Now is the time to try different things, however, so I think we'll just have to deal with it until the end of the season.

sleeping giant
30-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Sodje was great and Towell was decent.

Stephens was like a rabbit trapped in headlights for the whole game

The match passed Stevenson by.
Vas Te goes down quicker than Zouma.

500miles
30-04-2011, 05:15 PM

Vaz Te spent the entire game with Granger wrapped around him.

sleeping giant
30-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Vaz Te spent the entire game with Granger wrapped around him.

He spent a good while lying on the ground smiling when he hit the post even though the ball was still in play.

3pm
30-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Quality.

HNA6
30-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Quality.Come on guy's play nice ...:wink:

500miles
30-04-2011, 05:32 PM
He spent a good while lying on the ground smiling when he hit the post even though the ball was still in play.

It's not a good idea, but if we are going to blow wee faults like that all out of proportion, that it's no wonder the performance seems so poor.

We didn't play well, but on the balance of play, we were unfortunate not to win.

hibbymark
30-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Scott is the strangest football player I have seen for a while. I dont think I have ever seen anyone run about so much in a game without touching the ball,marking a man,passing the ball,winning a header etc. Anyone else see when he was fouled instantly jump to his feet to take the free kick himself while the ball was still moving and thump the ball straight into the west stand. . . . total lilian gish............ Pass marks for Booth in the second half and Sodge was as good as I have seen him today . His goalscoring record is as good as anyones in the league recently and in our current side thats more than decent.

sleeping giant
30-04-2011, 05:36 PM
It's not a good idea, but if we are going to blow wee faults like that all out of proportion, that it's no wonder the performance seems so poor.

We didn't play well, but on the balance of play, we were unfortunate not to win.

I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. I'm still to be convinced about him.
You can get away with being lackadaisical when you have the skills but he should have been up like a shot after he hit the post as the ball went out wide and could easily have been crossed back in.

Hermit Crab
30-04-2011, 06:49 PM
The way Sodjes going hes going to end up top scorer :greengrin.

Thought the Stevenson looked lost at times too. Scott does plenty running thats about it.

lucky
30-04-2011, 07:06 PM
keeper did nothing to impress
Hanlons never a left back
Stevenson tries but just not good enough.
Scott he runs about an awful lot but appear to be clueless what he is doing

CC has worked cut out as we are gash. I hope he can bring in some decent players with pace

At The Edge
30-04-2011, 07:07 PM
The way Sodjes going hes going to end up top scorer :greengrin.

Thought the Stevenson looked lost at times too. Scott does plenty running thats about it.

:agree:
pretty much the whole game, thought he had a stinker, no effect on the game at all, but then again i'm not sure what his role was?

Probably the best i've seen out of Vaz Te, some clever stuff, seems to be growing in confidence, IMO he will get a deal, if Miller goes he will be our only creative player......unless the summer brings in the goods we so badly need.

:cgwa

EasterRoad4Ever
30-04-2011, 07:41 PM
To be honest, I thought we strolled the game for the most part. We didn't take our chances though, and late in the game, the concentration lapsed and we paid for it.

Now is the time to try different things, however, so I think we'll just have to deal with it until the end of the season.

That's fine, but if they are going to use the matches after the split as training games (which every Hibs side seems to) then Petrie and the Board should cut the ST prices and stop charging punters to watch woeful performances.

hibee_patty
30-04-2011, 09:10 PM
i was not at the game today but calderwood will be trying new things out in these games, playing players in different positions etc, asking players to do things differently to test them and see what he has got and where he can improve the team. And the players have nothing to play for as such. most of these players will be in calderwoods plans for next year and they know it. its like a friendly to some of our players.

Twiglet
30-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Divis - hard to tell. He didn't do a huge amount, or have a hige amount to do. His save just before the goal was good, 9/10 it would have gone out for another corner and the defence should have been right on Moon to clear it. Jury's still out for me.

Defence - I thought Towell didn't have his best match, compared to what I've seen from him before.
Felt the defence in general was not good. I can see what CC was trying to do. Booth goes forward and leaves LB exposed, so Hanlon would be there to do the overlap. Don't think it quite worked though.

Midfield - it was there. Stevenson showed flashes, but drifted in and out of the game too much. Palsson looked better than recent games.

Vaz Te and Sodje did well, but did go down quite a bit. If that had been other players in the squad they'd have been ripped to shreds.

Overall, we played at far too slow a pace. St J were trying to force a faster pace, and when they got the ball we were caught out.

Think I shall be staying away from Hamilton next weekend.

1987green
30-04-2011, 10:02 PM

I said when he signed from what I had seen of him playing for Norwich ressies and youth team he wisnae good enough. Today proved that IMO :confused:

Sammy7nil
30-04-2011, 11:42 PM
i was not at the game today but calderwood will be trying new things out in these games, playing players in different positions etc, asking players to do things differently to test them and see what he has got and where he can improve the team. And the players have nothing to play for as such. most of these players will be in calderwoods plans for next year and they know it. its like a friendly to some of our players.

It would be :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin funny if it was not true

All of these are likely to be there
Divis
towell
Hanlon
stephens
palsson
scott
stevenson
sodje
Wotherspoon
galbraith

Vaz Te - Maybe
Dichoh - maybe

We had a glimpse in to the FUTURE today and the future is PISH

DH1875
01-05-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. I'm still to be convinced about him.

I've got to agree 100%. I got slaughtered on here a couple of weeks ago for saying I don't think he's good enough and I fear if he's the best we've got to look forward to next season it could be a struggle.

Think I shall be staying away from Hamilton next weekend.

Not to worry, games on Alba next week.

Albion Hibs
01-05-2011, 01:11 AM
I missed the game today due to family commitments, generally I hate people commenting on a game they have not seen, so I wont bother. However, from the above it sounds like much of what I have feared over recent weeks, that these signings (most of them) are going to be found out in a big way if they get a chance.

The likes of Palsson, Galbraith and Thornhill and Scott in our midfield will achieve nothing. The later (Scott) after two games so many on here were refering to him as the next scott brown, I said at the time, never in a million years - it looks like, and I hope I am wrong, that comment was correct, as to the statement in relation to Palsson who seems like the best thing he does is clap the fans at the end of a game.

I dont think any of these guys are better than McBride, Rankin etc so based on the view of those at the game today, and what I have seen I am starting to fear for next season.

I hope CC is given some reasonable funds to strenghten the starting 11 over the summer, I am viewing many of these guys as desperation purchases, during a desperate time to keep us up.

As I say just my view in general, would love each and every single on of them to ram these comments down my thoat, but my fear is they will come nowhere close to doing that.

Franck is God
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Yesterday was a chance for CC to try a few new things with the players that he knows will be here for next season.

He played a new formation, he tried a 4-2-3-1 with Sodje up front being supported by Booth on the left, Scott through the middle and Vaz Te on the right. Vaz Te looked pretty good at times but Booth is an attcking left back not a midfielder and for me Scott needs to improve a lot to be effective in the SPL.

He used Stevenson and Palsson as sitting midfielders and I thought they both covered the ground well and battled all day in midfield.

He wanted to see Stevens & Dickoh together in the centre so he pushed Hanlon to left back for the day, it was worth a shot. They didn't look fully comfortable but they both covered for each other well and were both commanding in the air.

I was disapointed to lose yesterday but CC will have learnt a lot from the game and that for now is good enough for me, I was reading yesterday that we are starting next season 3 weeks earier than usual which is causing problems finding opposition for preseason, if he is using these remaining games for experimenting in preparation for next season I think we have to give him all the leeway he needs.

His job in January was to bring in players to get away from relegation which he has done comfortably, in the summer his job is to form a squad to challenge at the other end.

Seveno
01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Against St Johnstone at Perth, a few weeks ago, Booth was given a torrid time by the physicality of Invincible. Murray had to be brought on to play at LB with Booth moving into the midfield.

I've wanted to see Booth play in midfield and I thought that his combination with Hanlon was one of the few good things to come out of the game. They are two intelligent players who use the ball well and it was a cracking pass from Hanlon when he spotted the chance to put Sodje through for the goal. Sodje's finishing in that sort of situation is deadly, as shown by his recent goals.

Pallson's distribution is excellent and would look even better if he had better players around him. We just didnt have a midfield today and that is the ongoing problem with the team.

If only we could get Miller playing the same way as he did for the first half of last season.

Barney McGrew
01-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Against St Johnstone at Perth, a few weeks ago, Booth was given a torrid time by the physicality of Invincible. Murray had to be brought on to play at LB with Booth moving into the midfield

It was pretty clear early on that's what they were going to try again, there were three or four high balls in the air to Invincible in the first ten minutes. I'm sure that was in CC's thinking when he played Hanlon there.

matty_f
01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Against St Johnstone at Perth, a few weeks ago, Booth was given a torrid time by the physicality of Invincible. Murray had to be brought on to play at LB with Booth moving into the midfield.

I've wanted to see Booth play in midfield and I thought that his combination with Hanlon was one of the few good things to come out of the game. They are two intelligent players who use the ball well and it was a cracking pass from Hanlon when he spotted the chance to put Sodje through for the goal. Sodje's finishing in that sort of situation is deadly, as shown by his recent goals.

Pallson's distribution is excellent and would look even better if he had better players around him. We just didnt have a midfield today and that is the ongoing problem with the team.

If only we could get Miller playing the same way as he did for the first half of last season.

Disagree about Palsson's passing, I thought it was awful yesterday.

Fair point about Invincible, though. I hadn't thought about that until you raised it.

Pretty Boy
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I missed the game today due to family commitments, generally I hate people commenting on a game they have not seen, so I wont bother. However, from the above it sounds like much of what I have feared over recent weeks, that these signings (most of them) are going to be found out in a big way if they get a chance.

The likes of Palsson, Galbraith and Thornhill and Scott in our midfield will achieve nothing. The later (Scott) after two games so many on here were refering to him as the next scott brown, I said at the time, never in a million years - it looks like, and I hope I am wrong, that comment was correct, as to the statement in relation to Palsson who seems like the best thing he does is clap the fans at the end of a game.

I dont think any of these guys are better than McBride, Rankin etc so based on the view of those at the game today, and what I have seen I am starting to fear for next season.

I hope CC is given some reasonable funds to strenghten the starting 11 over the summer, I am viewing many of these guys as desperation purchases, during a desperate time to keep us up.

As I say just my view in general, would love each and every single on of them to ram these comments down my thoat, but my fear is they will come nowhere close to doing that.

I think you're right to some extent.

My view is that CC brought in guys in January who would be willing to scrap out a few results to ensure we stayed up. Guys like Scott will run through brick walls but will never be 'quality' football players.

Call me an optimist but i think CC quickly identified problem positions and acted accordingly in January. Scott and Palsson were brought in to give us a bit strength and presence in midfield, something the likes of Rankin and McBride didn't really give us and in fairness up until the last few weeks they did give us that to some extent and got us out of the relegation scrap. Thornhill i have seen a bit off pre Hibs and he is a very good football player, with a full pre season and some games behind him he will do a job for us.

Where the optimistic part comes in is i think CC has proven he can see problems. Right back, centre midfield, big centre forward where all addressed in January to varying degress of success. Hopefully he now sees the chronic lack of pace and creativity we have. It could well be the case a lot of these guys in the 1st team now drop down to squad player status next year. A midfield central pairing with one of Scott/Palsson/Murray with a creative player alongside, 2 pacey wide men, a new centre back etc. There is a hell of a lot of wages going to be freed up in the close season especially if Riordan and Miller go, whilst obviously losing the potential of these players is a blow the wages freed up along with the rumoured generous player budget for next year should hopefully allow us to bring in some quality players to compliment the hammer throwers.

Failing that theres always De Graaf to come back:wink: