PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear!

3pm
30-04-2011, 04:04 PM
What a sorry bunch we are. The worrying thing about today is that those playing are the ones who are, mostly, under contract next year. Good luck Colin.

cyber8
30-04-2011, 04:37 PM
How did we get so bad:confused:

SneakersO'Toole
30-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I think it is only fair to judge them once we are a few games into next season however, I think that Sodje apart, Calderwood's signings haven't exactly set the heather on fire thus far.

I certainly haven't seen enough to make me think we are favourites for a top 6 finish, which worries me slightly.

ac1
30-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Said on the way home that if we have a 1st choice midfield of Pallson, Thornhill and Scott next season we could be in trouble. I know its end of season and they have dug us out of relegation trouble but I am hoping we bring in some quality in the summer.

Hopefully its just end of season as I say but I am still to be convinced by all three of them.

Hibs Class
30-04-2011, 05:11 PM
That was embarrassing today. Can't find any positives from it.

sleeping giant
30-04-2011, 05:19 PM
That was embarrassing today. Can't find any positives from it.

Sodje was excellent:wink:

Hibs Class
30-04-2011, 05:38 PM

So I heard - just before the goal one of my contact lenses moved back in my eye and I had to go downstairs to try to get it out so I missed the goal. Just not my day!

Sir David Gray
30-04-2011, 05:40 PM
What a sorry bunch we are. The worrying thing about today is that those playing are the ones who are, mostly, under contract next year. Good luck Colin.

I made that very comment on my way home. It's very worrying indeed.

I heard a lot of people saying on here, when we still had an outside chance of making the top six, that it might not be a bad thing for us to finish in the top six because playing (and probably getting beaten) by teams like the Old Firm and Hearts would do nothing for our confidence going into the summer. But finishing in the bottom six would allow us to get up some momentum by winning a few games and we should be confident ahead of next season.

I know the Hamilton game was pre-split but that's been 3 home games in a row that we've had against bottom six teams and we've picked up just one point out of nine.

That theory's worked well...:rolleyes:

Hibercelona
30-04-2011, 05:43 PM
From what I can see, the attacking midfielders are pushing far too forward, while the defensive midfielders are sitting in too deep. Because of this, there seems to be a huge lack of link up in the middle of the pitch.

I think we have a couple of decent forwards that could do well for us next season, but without the correct link up play in midfield, they just aren't going to get the service they need.

Judas Iscariot
30-04-2011, 05:48 PM

:agree:

Pity our manager saw fit to sub him :rolleyes:

Stewboy
30-04-2011, 05:56 PM
From what I can see, the attacking midfielders are pushing far too forward, while the defensive midfielders are sitting in too deep. Because of this, there seems to be a huge lack of link up in the middle of the pitch.

I think we have a couple of decent forwards that could do well for us next season, but without the correct link up play in midfield, they just aren't going to get the service they need.

Attacking midfielders?????

Westie1875
30-04-2011, 06:04 PM

Pity our manager saw fit to sub him :rolleyes:

He did take a knock in the first half when the physio came on, I would imagine he was feeling the injury and that is why he was subbed.

HibbyAndy
01-05-2011, 08:54 AM
How did we end up this bad?

Hibs are seriously gash and need to really invest in the playing side of things in the summer or 7K attendances at Easter road will be the norm.

Baldy Foghorn
01-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Hibs are seriously gash and need to really invest in the playing side of things in the summer or 7K attendances at Easter road will be the norm.

Our Board needs to stand up and be counted..... We have a fantastic infrastructure in place, great training complex, fantastic stadium, but no team on the park......Time for the Board to spend some money bringing in some real quality or the fans will be lost...................................

HibbyAndy
01-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Our Board needs to stand up and be counted..... We have a fantastic infrastructure in place, great training complex, fantastic stadium, but no team on the park......Time for the Board to spend some money bringing in some real quality or the fans will be lost...................................

Spot on. :agree:

ac1
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Not sure if they have tried but I would have liked the club to have at least attempted to go for one of the Dundee United trio that are leaving - Conway, Bauben and Gomis. I know all 3 are probably out of our price range and have already made up their minds on a next move but they are the level I think we should be looking at. Maybe I am dreaming though...............................

truehibernian
01-05-2011, 10:27 AM
I can't get my head around the sudden hysteria (for want of a better word) questioning CC's ability, judgement and substitutions. Yesterday he tried three tactical changes to the team which he now sees did not pay off.

Divis was poor IMHO on the rare occasions he was tested. He lost flight of the ball a couple of times, he was rooted at the corner and in general looked uncomfortable. His debut of course, and nerves would have been plentiful, but not impressive. Boothy at left midfield did not work. We lost his energy running forward and at times he was being given no real direction. Hanlon does not get forward as much hence Callum was often forced inside, bar a couple of times second half when first Hanlon, then Boothy put in two superb crosses near post begging to be buried (see point further down the page). And lastly young Lewis playing central. Very very strange decision by CC have to say, given we have been dominated and bullied by St Johnstone in that area the last two seasons. At times Lewis was jumping against his marker and looking like he was a kitten jumping to grab his owners ball of wool he was teasing him with.

What CC will of course be seeing is what he now has to improve. Better knowing this now, and without shadow of doubt, than thinking it is quite rosy and things are moving along nicely.

The team as we all have been saying lack goals, pace, width and leadership. Give he has released Byrne, Duffy, Nish and Trakys (and Riordan), then it is clear that we will most definitely see improvment in the striking and wide areas. At least three players for me there.

Midfield......we have grit and battling quality, but we lack urgency, pace and creative dash. At least two required there IMHO. If one of those players can be a left sided midfielder, superb. It will compliment Boothy at left back. The other player has to be central or one that can float.

At the back, we need a couple of centre halves, and if not, it won't matter how many we score next season, we will undoubtedly concede as we have been doing so readily. Dickoh was not bad yesterday, but there was no gripping the game by the short and curlies and no one getting into the faces of the players saying it was unacceptable. It was back to the "let's see how we get on" attitude......no one looking like they hate losing !

Seven players by my count........that is what is required to make a potentially good team into a consistently good team. It's now over to CC and DA and the board. I still have plenty faith in them all.

Fifer
01-05-2011, 10:39 AM
I can't get my head around the sudden hysteria (for want of a better word) questioning CC's ability, judgement and substitutions. Yesterday he tried three tactical changes to the team which he now sees did not pay off.

Divis was poor IMHO on the rare occasions he was tested. He lost flight of the ball a couple of times, he was rooted at the corner and in general looked uncomfortable. His debut of course, and nerves would have been plentiful, but not impressive. Boothy at left midfield did not work. We lost his energy running forward and at times he was being given no real direction. Hanlon does not get forward as much hence Callum was often forced inside, bar a couple of times second half when first Hanlon, then Boothy put in two superb crosses near post begging to be buried (see point further down the page). And lastly young Lewis playing central. Very very strange decision by CC have to say, given we have been dominated and bullied by St Johnstone in that area the last two seasons. At times Lewis was jumping against his marker and looking like he was a kitten jumping to grab his owners ball of wool he was teasing him with.

What CC will of course be seeing is what he now has to improve. Better knowing this now, and without shadow of doubt, than thinking it is quite rosy and things are moving along nicely.

The team as we all have been saying lack goals, pace, width and leadership. Give he has released Byrne, Duffy, Nish and Trakys (and Riordan), then it is clear that we will most definitely see improvment in the striking and wide areas. At least three players for me there.

Midfield......we have grit and battling quality, but we lack urgency, pace and creative dash. At least two required there IMHO. If one of those players can be a left sided midfielder, superb. It will compliment Boothy at left back. The other player has to be central or one that can float.

At the back, we need a couple of centre halves, and if not, it won't matter how many we score next season, we will undoubtedly concede as we have been doing so readily. Dickoh was not bad yesterday, but there was no gripping the game by the short and curlies and no one getting into the faces of the players saying it was unacceptable. It was back to the "let's see how we get on" attitude......no one looking like they hate losing !

Seven players by my count........that is what is required to make a potentially good team into a consistently good team. It's now over to CC and DA and the board. I still have plenty faith in them all.

:top marks My thoughts exactly.

ahibby
01-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I am not surprised at the result because of the turmoil the club is going through with all the releases that are taking place, almost a team has been told that they can leave. The ones who haven't been told they are staying should be doing better but we only lost the game after some changes which made us weaker were made. I dont think that CC can go from saving us from relegation to the man who will have us battling against relegation next season in such a short time it has to be linked somehow to what is going on with contracts etc. Maybe I am being too optimistic but that's the way I see it at this time.

truehibernian
01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Oh and a little bit of bright news regards one of our loanees.......apparently young David Crawford was excellent yesterday for Ayr United and lit up the game.

Dinkydoo
01-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I am not surprised at the result because of the turmoil the club is going through with all the releases that are taking place, almost a team has been told that they can leave. The ones who haven't been told they are staying should be doing better but we only lost the game after some changes which made us weaker were made. I dont think that CC can go from saving us from relegation to the man who will have us battling against relegation next season in such a short time it has to be linked somehow to what is going on with contracts etc. Maybe I am being too optimistic but that's the way I see it at this time.

Yea, thats it for me as well. :agree:

Most of our players (excluding the ones who arrived in january) have been told that, unless they can find another club, in the next few weeks they'll be out of a job.

Not surprised in the slightest that we're not winning.

BEEJ
01-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Oh and a little bit of bright news regards one of our loanees.......apparently young David Crawford was excellent yesterday for Ayr United and lit up the game.
Good to hear! :flag:

Is that six or seven sub appearances he's made for them now? He's scored as well.

truehibernian
01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Good to hear! :flag:

Is that six or seven sub appearances he's made for them now? He's scored as well.

The fact our senior side need pace means that young David may be fast tracked sooner than we think. He is lightening quick.

matty_f
01-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Catch 22 though - the board need the money from the fans before they can spend it on the players.

At some point there needs to be a 'leap of faith' that either the board will spend (as they've promised to do with the ST money), or in the boards' case, that the fans will take up tickets if they spend first.

History tells us that the likely path will be the board will need the money first.

If the fans want a better product on the park, they're going to have to pay for it first. If we genuinely want it, we'll put our money where our mouths are.:agree:

Keith_M
01-05-2011, 12:48 PM

If the fans want a better product on the park, they're going to have to pay for it first. If we genuinely want it, we'll put our money where our mouths are.:agree:

The thing is, that's what we've been doing for a number of seasons now. At what point do we go from being supportive, trusting in the board to just plain gullible?

matty_f
01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
The thing is, that's what we've been doing for a number of seasons now. At what point do we go from being supportive, trusting in the board to just plain gullible?

The board have spent the money though, it's just that not every manager has used it wisely (think De Graaf, Hart, Graeme Smith, Thicot, Keenan and so on). You can see from the accounts that there isn't much more leeway (if any) for the board to support the manager.

Without our money, Calderwood and the board's hands are tied.

1875 NO 1
01-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Catch 22 though - the board need the money from the fans before they can spend it on the players.

At some point there needs to be a 'leap of faith' that either the board will spend (as they've promised to do with the ST money), or in the boards' case, that the fans will take up tickets if they spend first.

History tells us that the likely path will be the board will need the money first.

the executive team take too much out in wages. I hope with the re-structure thats cut down.

We have 5 first team coaches. That needs cut.

We are carrying about 30 first team players. Next seat we may have about 22.

For me I have 18 players and 2 coaches.

Quality not quantity.

1875 NO 1
01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
The board have spent the money though, it's just that not every manager has used it wisely (think De Graaf, Hart, Graeme Smith, Thicot, Keenan and so on). You can see from the accounts that there isn't much more leeway (if any) for the board to support the manager.

Without our money, Calderwood and the board's hands are tied.
the board sanction poor poor signings. Thier due dilligence is poor. Then need and expierenced directot of fooball that can assist the manager in finding hungry young talent that will move us forward. That want to move on and better themselves eg murp.

Not hasbeens that are here for a jolly

sahib
01-05-2011, 01:21 PM

He's bound to be released then.:wink:

matty_f
01-05-2011, 01:23 PM
the executive team take too much out in wages. I hope with the re-structure thats cut down.

We have 5 first team coaches. That needs cut.

We are carrying about 30 first team players. Next seat we may have about 22.

For me I have 18 players and 2 coaches.

Quality not quantity.

Nice one, I'm sure you have much better knowledge and experience of managing and running a football club than those that actually have the responsibility to make it a reality.

the board sanction poor poor signings. Thier due dilligence is poor. Then need and expierenced directot of fooball that can assist the manager in finding hungry young talent that will move us forward. That want to move on and better themselves eg murp.

Not hasbeens that are here for a jolly

No, the board's involvement in signing players should be doing what they can to bring in the players that the manager identifies. You want the spend on the executive team to be cut but want to employ a Director of Football. Go figure.:rolleyes: