PDA

View Full Version : Just what Hibs.net needs, another thread about Deek

HibsMax
30-04-2011, 02:28 AM
With speculation rife about Ivan re-signing and O'Connor maybe coming back, I started to think.

Some people who are in the know i.e., those of you lucky enough to see Hibs week in and week out, seem to think that Deek is past his best.

But is he? Is he really past it? Or does he just need a catalyst to help him get back to his former glory?

Is Deek the type of player who SHINES when surrounded by good players but stinks like a public bathroom when he's in a mediocre team?

If Ivan is worth another look, how about Deek?

For the record, I'm not stirring. I am not saying that he is or is not past it. I am not saying he should stay or go. I'm just pondering.

Forza Fred
30-04-2011, 02:57 AM
I guess the questions are

1 Can we afford to keep him, given his current form

2 Can we afford NOT to keep him, given his known goalscoring prowess

People will argue both ways.

While I was delighted on his return from Celtic and was at Hamilton when he scored a fabulous goal to give us the points on his return, he has not inspired me a lot recently.

He is reputedly on a good wage, and this is the problem, as the money could be spent elsewhere, and some may argue, better spent..

Personally I'd like him to stay - I'd keep him on his current deal for one more year - if he accepted it - with both parties knowing that this was the season he was expected to perform or a furher deal would not eventuate.

Maybe he needs a bit of the carrot as well as the stick - he seems to get mostly stick on here - but I would be reluctant to hastily show him the door, when we all know what he has been capable of in the past - and with the knowledge that we ALL want to write off what has been a dreadful season.

Deeks has been a special player for us - I'd like to think he would be given one more season to prove that after a period of grey clouds, his sun comes up shining brightly at the start of next season - and that he can be that special player again.

If he doesnt turn out to be the óld' Deeks, then ít will time for him to move on, but nobody will be able to say we did not give him every chance.

But at least let's give him this chance - I think he deserves it.

Bobo
30-04-2011, 08:57 AM
The big question for me is whether Derek Riordan want's to finally knuckle down and become the player he should have become 5 years ago?

He had/has it all him but has missed out on the career progression his peers from the "Golden Generation" have witnessed.... why?

O'Connor, Whittaker, Brown, Thomson (despite his antics) and Fletcher all made decent money for the club through transfer fees while Riordan ran down his contract and went for buttons.... why?

Each player established themselves with their new clubs and progressed while Riordan got splinters in his backside at Parkhead.... why?

They all pushed their way into the Scotland setup and have several caps each while Riordan has been left out in the cold, despite being an undoubted talent... why?

If current stories are to be believed, it appears that Riordan is now about to depart at the end of the season, for nothing again, as he can't agree a better contract with the club? Does he deserve an improved contract on the basis of his contribution this season (IMO none of the squad do).

I feel that Derek has been ill advised and mis-managed for some time and opportunities have been lost to him because of this. On his day he's one of the best players I've seen in a Hibs jersey, a natural talent, but his days are sadly becoming less and less frequent!

It's time to be the best you can be son, to knuckle down and stop the histrionics and attitude... a Derek Riordan with drive and determination would be untouchable but instead we've witnessed a shaddow of the player you can be.

Hang around and show us what you're made of!!

Keith_M
30-04-2011, 09:28 AM
The big question for me is how somebody used a big word like 'catalyst' on a football site.

You're really letting the side down you know :greengrin

Hibs Class
30-04-2011, 09:43 AM
I guess the questions are

1 Can we afford to keep him, given his current form

2 Can we afford NOT to keep him, given his known goalscoring prowess

People will argue both ways.

While I was delighted on his return from Celtic and was at Hamilton when he scored a fabulous goal to give us the points on his return, he has not inspired me a lot recently.

He is reputedly on a good wage, and this is the problem, as the money could be spent elsewhere, and some may argue, better spent..

Personally I'd like him to stay - I'd keep him on his current deal for one more year - if he accepted it - with both parties knowing that this was the season he was expected to perform or a furher deal would not eventuate.

Maybe he needs a bit of the carrot as well as the stick - he seems to get mostly stick on here - but I would be reluctant to hastily show him the door, when we all know what he has been capable of in the past - and with the knowledge that we ALL want to write off what has been a dreadful season.

Deeks has been a special player for us - I'd like to think he would be given one more season to prove that after a period of grey clouds, his sun comes up shining brightly at the start of next season - and that he can be that special player again.

If he doesnt turn out to be the óld' Deeks, then ít will time for him to move on, but nobody will be able to say we did not give him every chance.

But at least let's give him this chance - I think he deserves it.

I agree. It's a cliche that form can be temporary but class is permanent and Derek is certainly a class player. It's easier to understand why his form dropped under JH and why we've seen only glimpses of it under CC, but if CC is the man manager I think he is then I think it's a no brainer that Derek should be kept on.

Hibby D
30-04-2011, 09:57 AM
The big question for me is whether Derek Riordan want's to finally knuckle down and become the player he should have become 5 years ago?

He had/has it all him but has missed out on the career progression his peers from the "Golden Generation" have witnessed.... why?

O'Connor, Whittaker, Brown, Thomson (despite his antics) and Fletcher all made decent money for the club through transfer fees while Riordan ran down his contract and went for buttons.... why?

Each player established themselves with their new clubs and progressed while Riordan got splinters in his backside at Parkhead.... why?

They all pushed their way into the Scotland setup and have several caps each while Riordan has been left out in the cold, despite being an undoubted talent... why?

If current stories are to be believed, it appears that Riordan is now about to depart at the end of the season, for nothing again, as he can't agree a better contract with the club? Does he deserve an improved contract on the basis of his contribution this season (IMO none of the squad do).

I feel that Derek has been ill advised and mis-managed for some time and opportunities have been lost to him because of this. On his day he's one of the best players I've seen in a Hibs jersey, a natural talent, but his days are sadly becoming less and less frequent!

It's time to be the best you can be son, to knuckle down and stop the histrionics and attitude... a Derek Riordan with drive and determination would be untouchable but instead we've witnessed a shaddow of the player you can be.

Great post :agree:

jdships
30-04-2011, 10:00 AM

Says it all for me :thumbsup: