PDA

View Full Version : Question What position's need improvement?

hfc rd
30-04-2011, 01:12 AM
What position's do you guys think that need to be strengthened this upcoming summer transfer window for next season?

Personally I think we need a GK(MAYBE), RB, 2 CB, 2 CM's, 3 ST's.

The Reasons:-

The reason for why I have written GK's is that what if Graham Stack doesn't get offered a new deal due to his horrific injury history and then that just leaves Mark Brown and Jakub Divis as the only available 1st team GK. That is why if this does become the situation what will happen if Brown picks up an injury or a suspension then that will just leave Divis as the only remaining fit 1st team GK available and vice-versa. That is kind of why it is importnant to have 3 GK's in the first team due to the risks of injuries and suspensions. But then again that is only a MAYBE depending if CC wants to give Stack a new 1-2 year deal to prove his fitness and become the permanent number 1 choice and I wouldn't mind that as I think the good form in Feb was down to this guy in goals as the defence loooked so much assured and confident with Stack in goals. Plus if I am right, we have not lost a single game with him in goals this season.

A RB is definitely needed this summer and I would without a doubt try to go and get Richie Towell (Permanently would be absolutely brilliant but a full season on loan would be fine by me). We have tried so many players in that position for the past few seasons now but to no success and I think we really need to sort this problem position out. As we may know we can't do anything right now until the summer when Richie goes back to Darkheid to have a private chat with Lennon regarding his future. If Lennon has any brains and knows for the sake of the lad's career that he lets him come back to Hibs either on loan or on a permanent deal as I think their is no way he is going to become their first choice RB next season as Celtic already have 2-3 RB's on their books in Mark Wilson, Cha Du-Ri and the arrival of Adam Matthews this summer from Cardiff. Richie knows that he is going to get 1st team competitve football up here and I am sure that is what he wants. Just to play 1st team football and stay in the Republic of Ireland U21's squad.

2 CB's. I think this is the area that we really without a doubt need to improve on before next season and I really hope we do improve this area or we are just going to continue conceeding goals left, right and centre. As you know our goal difference this season is terrible and that is why we need to sign 2 commanding experienced CB's who are captain material with a good understanding with each other, strong, calm, composed, reliable, tough tacklers who never shirk a challenge and are always a danger from set plays. Plus signing two guys with those attributes is not only what we really need but they will also be good for Hanlon and Stephens' development by playing with these type of defenders beside them as they will keep Hanlon and Stephens right and that will make them both improve as footballers as well. Yes they will cost money to sign two CB's with those attributes but like everyone says we want QUALITY NOT QUANTITY and signing these two type of defenders will vastly improve our defence and will definitely be money well spent. Dickoh ain't the answer as he is a backup choice to the 1st team at best and can be an utter bombscare at times.

Into the midfield area now and yes their is still a lot of work to be done in that area. At the start of the season our midfield was getting sliced open time and time again like a loaf of bread. In January Caldo knew that this was the area that was badly needing reinforcements and went out to get Martin Scott, Victor Palsson and Matt Thornhill. Yes these guys have made a sligth improvement in our midfield but as you may know our midfield still seems to be very easy for opposition midfielders to play against. Look at for example the St Mirren game last Sunday. The amount of times the midfield was getting carved open was just insane and thank God their main player Michael Higdon was suspended as if he was playing, we could so easily and derservedly been beaten that day. Or the first 30 mins of the Hearts game, they just seemed to be walking through our midfield area and could have been a few goals up but thank God they didn't take their chances. I would like it if we managed to sign a midfielder who is a good passer on the ball and tries to keep the game moving and the second midfielder to be someone like a creative midfielder in the "Latapy/Zemmama" mould of who is a very tricky midfielder to man mark and can score goals. I hear that we are in signing talks with Jamie Hamill of Kilmarnock and I don't know that much about him other than he has been one of their best players this season along with Alexei Eremenko and is a master at taking penalties. A question mark remains over Liam Miller's future and it remains to be seen whether he will be here next season or not. Personally I would like him to stay but it s not up to me, it is up to Caldo and Miller on what is best for his career. As I said on another of my threads that I would love it if we managed to get Morgaro Gomis and Prince Buaben to sign even though it looks quite likely that the both of them will be heading to the Championship next season. But then again we might as well give it a go and try to sign them and if they don't want to come then fair do's but at least we gave it an effort.

And finally up front. If you look at the bigger picture, the only striker that we currently have that is guranteed to be here next season is Akpo Sodje. So therefore we do need new strikers next season. With Deeks looking very likely to be leaving at the end of the season and a question mark over the future of Ricardo Vaz Te then we will have to make sure that their are some strikers signed in time for the new season as having just Akpo as the only avaliable one isn't something that thrills me with excitement. Take nothing away from the big guy, he has been a decent signing and is a lot better than some of the duds we had up front before January (apart from Deeks) and has also chipped in with his fair share of goals despite at times bootering the ball into row Z to the laughter of all us Hibs fans. But then again I think we need at least 3 strikers with one of them being a target man for competition with Sodje and the other two being goalscorers who know where the goals are and can be relied upon to hit the back of the net. We all know that Adam Rooney has had talks about signing for us next season and personally I would take him. Yes he has not been on form in recent weeks but neither has Deeks and on his day Adam Rooney just like Deeks is someone who is capable of hitting the ball into the back of the net. He is something like the 5th top goalscorer currently in the league if you take Kenny Miller and Connor Sammon out who have both moved on to pastures new. Then again that is just only one guy and we don't know if Rooney will come or not and I just hope Caldo has some good strikers lined up as we will definitely need 2-3 strikers ready for next season.

So then overall, those are the positions I would like to see being strengthened for next season (apart from maybe GK, depending on Graham Stack) and I have given my reasons for those position's. But then again it is up to Caldo and Adams on which players they want to bring and more importantly if Petrie allows them to go and get the players they want and totally back them to the max. We have the training facility, the stadium, the fan's and the management team. Now the only piece missing from the jigsaw puzzle and the main one is a team out there on the park. A team that we can be very proud of and that you can't wait to come and watch on a weekend or during midweek under the floodlights of the Leith San Siro with the 12th man singing section getting right behind the team and everyone supporting them from the first whistle to the last. We want to be leaving Easter Road with smiles on our faces knowing that we have a squad who are willing to fight for the jersey and give their all for the club and its fans.

Go on the 'tache' give Clado and Adams the full backing to get the right quality players in and prove to those people that you are not just the guy that some folk think you are by "All Talk & No Action" and that you want a quality team out there on the pitch just as much as us fans desperately do.

:cgwa:flag::hibees

SouthMoroccoStu
30-04-2011, 06:11 AM
What position's do you guys think that need to be strengthened this upcoming summer transfer window for next season?

The Reasons:-

The reason for why I have written GK's is that what if Graham Stack doesn't get offered a new deal due to his horrific injury history and then that just leaves Mark Brown and Jakub Divis as the only available 1st team GK. That is why if this does become the situation what will happen if Brown picks up an injury or a suspension then that will just leave Divis as the only remaining fit 1st team GK available and vice-versa. That is kind of why it is importnant to have 3 GK's in the first team due to the risks of injuries and suspensions. But then again that is only a MAYBE depending if CC wants to give Stack a new 1-2 year deal to prove his fitness and become the permanent number 1 choice and I wouldn't mind that as I think the good form in Feb was down to this guy in goals as the defence loooked so much assured and confident with Stack in goals. Plus if I am right, we have not lost a single game with him in goals this season.

A RB is definitely needed this summer and I would without a doubt try to go and get Richie Towell (Permanently would be absolutely brilliant but a full season on loan would be fine by me). We have tried so many players in that position for the past few seasons now but to no success and I think we really need to sort this problem position out. As we may know we can't do anything right now until the summer when Richie goes back to Darkheid to have a private chat with Lennon regarding his future. If Lennon has any brains and knows for the sake of the lad's career that he lets him come back to Hibs either on loan or on a permanent deal as I think their is no way he is going to become their first choice RB next season as Celtic already have 2-3 RB's on their books in Mark Wilson, Cha Du-Ri and the arrival of Adam Matthews this summer from Cardiff. Richie knows that he is going to get 1st team competitve football up here and I am sure that is what he wants. Just to play 1st team football and stay in the Republic of Ireland U21's squad.

2 CB's. I think this is the area that we really without a doubt need to improve on before next season and I really hope we do improve this area or we are just going to continue conceeding goals left, right and centre. As you know our goal difference this season is terrible and that is why we need to sign 2 commanding experienced CB's who are captain material with a good understanding with each other, strong, calm, composed, reliable, tough tacklers who never shirk a challenge and are always a danger from set plays. Plus signing two guys with those attributes is not only what we really need but they will also be good for Hanlon and Stephens' development by playing with these type of defenders beside them as they will keep Hanlon and Stephens right and that will make them both improve as footballers as well. Yes they will cost money to sign two CB's with those attributes but like everyone says we want QUALITY NOT QUANTITY and signing these two type of defenders will vastly improve our defence and will definitely be money well spent. Dickoh ain't the answer as he is a backup choice to the 1st team at best and can be an utter bombscare at times.

Into the midfield area now and yes their is still a lot of work to be done in that area. At the start of the season our midfield was getting sliced open time and time again like a loaf of bread. In January Caldo knew that this was the area that was badly needing reinforcements and went out to get Martin Scott, Victor Palsson and Matt Thornhill. Yes these guys have made a sligth improvement in our midfield but as you may know our midfield still seems to be very easy for opposition midfielders to play against. Look at for example the St Mirren game last Sunday. The amount of times the midfield was getting carved open was just insane and thank God their main player Michael Higdon was suspended as if he was playing, we could so easily and derservedly been beaten that day. Or the first 30 mins of the Hearts game, they just seemed to be walking through our midfield area and could have been a few goals up but thank God they didn't take their chances. I would like it if we managed to sign a midfielder who is a good passer on the ball and tries to keep the game moving and the second midfielder to be someone like a creative midfielder in the "Latapy/Zemmama" mould of who is a very tricky midfielder to man mark and can score goals. I hear that we are in signing talks with Jamie Hamill of Kilmarnock and I don't know that much about him other than he has been one of their best players this season along with Alexei Eremenko and is a master at taking penalties. A question mark remains over Liam Miller's future and it remains to be seen whether he will be here next season or not. Personally I would like him to stay but it s not up to me, it is up to Caldo and Miller on what is best for his career. As I said on another of my threads that I would love it if we managed to get Morgaro Gomis and Prince Buaben to sign even though it looks quite likely that the both of them will be heading to the Championship next season. But then again we might as well give it a go and try to sign them and if they don't want to come then fair do's but at least we gave it an effort.

And finally up front. If you look at the bigger picture, the only striker that we currently have that is guranteed to be here next season is Akpo Sodje. So therefore we do need new strikers next season. With Deeks looking very likely to be leaving at the end of the season and a question mark over the future of Ricardo Vaz Te then we will have to make sure that their are some strikers signed in time for the new season as having just Akpo as the only avaliable one isn't something that thrills me with excitement. Take nothing away from the big guy, he has been a decent signing and is a lot better than some of the duds we had up front before January (apart from Deeks) and has also chipped in with his fair share of goals despite at times bootering the ball into row Z to the laughter of all us Hibs fans. But then again I think we need at least 3 strikers with one of them being a target man for competition with Sodje and the other two being goalscorers who know where the goals are and can be relied upon to hit the back of the net. We all know that Adam Rooney has had talks about signing for us next season and personally I would take him. Yes he has not been on form in recent weeks but neither has Deeks and on his day Adam Rooney just like Deeks is someone who is capable of hitting the ball into the back of the net. He is something like the 5th top goalscorer currently in the league if you take Kenny Miller and Connor Sammon out who have both moved on to pastures new. Then again that is just only one guy and we don't know if Rooney will come or not and I just hope Caldo has some good strikers lined up as we will definitely need 2-3 strikers ready for next season.

So then overall, those are the positions I would like to see being strengthened for next season (apart from maybe GK, depending on Graham Stack) and I have given my reasons for those position's. But then again it is up to Caldo and Adams on which players they want to bring and more importantly if Petrie allows them to go and get the players they want and totally back them to the max. We have the training facility, the stadium, the fan's and the management team. Now the only piece missing from the jigsaw puzzle and the main one is a team out there on the park. A team that we can be very proud of and that you can't wait to come and watch on a weekend or during midweek under the floodlights of the Leith San Siro with the 12th man singing section getting right behind the team and everyone supporting them from the first whistle to the last. We want to be leaving Easter Road with smiles on our faces knowing that we have a squad who are willing to fight for the jersey and give their all for the club and its fans.

Go on the 'tache' give Clado and Adams the full backing to get the right quality players in and prove to those people that you are not just the guy that some folk think you are by "All Talk & No Action" and that you want a quality team out there on the pitch just as much as us fans desperately do.

:cgwa:flag::hibees

:top marks

Top post. Couldn't disagree with anything here. Lets hope Rod sees it that way.:aok:

essexhibee
30-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Desperately need decent centre half. Dickho is offski (thank god) and we are weak in that position. I like Stephens....still not sure on Hanlon but they are young players who need experienced heads around them imo .

I've said it on here before but I think we missed out big time on Webster.

BEEJ
30-04-2011, 09:30 AM

I can't see us signing as many as 8 or 9 new players this summer, if that's what you're suggesting.

hibbysam
30-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I can't see us signing as many as 8 or 9 new players this summer, if that's what you're suggesting.

we NEED to sign 8 or 9 players in the summer otherwise we will have a squad of about 16 including 2 goalkeepers and 2 young laddies.. going by the official sites player list we will have the following currently on a contract further than the end of this season..

GK - Divis & Brown
DF - Murray? Hart Hanlon Stephens Booth
MF - Stevenson Galbraith Wotherspoon Thornhill Horner Taggart Scott Palsson
FW - Sodje

A matchday squad consists of 18 plus two travelling reserves so you need at least 20, Were at least 1 GK short, 3 DF short, 1/2 MF and 2 FW imo!

BEEJ
30-04-2011, 10:38 AM
we NEED to sign 8 or 9 players in the summer otherwise we will have a squad of about 16 including 2 goalkeepers and 2 young laddies.. going by the official sites player list we will have the following currently on a contract further than the end of this season..

GK - Divis & Brown
DF - Murray? Hart Hanlon Stephens Booth
MF - Stevenson Galbraith Wotherspoon Thornhill Horner Taggart Scott Palsson
FW - Sodje

Plus De Graaf, Smith (Scott) and young Crawford. So 19 currently.

A matchday squad consists of 18 plus two travelling reserves so you need at least 20, Were at least 1 GK short, 3 DF short, 1/2 MF and 2 FW imo!
Which is where CC's recent comments of ideally having a squad of about 20 seems to leave him with little room for manoeuvre.

But let's assume that based on that comment he ends up with a squad of 23 players. Then take account of:

the possibility of, say, three more exisiting players being given contract extensions
the possibility that another couple of U-19s may be promoted to the seniors at the end of the season

Even allowing for a few of the youngsters being put out on loan next season, the squad numbers currently do not suggest that there will be room for the acquisition of as many as 8 or 9 new players in the summer.

hibbysam
30-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Plus De Graaf, Smith (Scott) and young Crawford. So 19 currently.

Which is where CC's recent comments of ideally having a squad of about 20 seems to leave him with little room for manoeuvre.

But let's assume that based on that comment he ends up with a squad of 23 players. Then take account of:

the possibility of, say, three more exisiting players being given contract extensions
the possibility that another couple of U-19s may be promoted to the seniors at the end of the season

Even allowing for a few of the youngsters being put out on loan next season, the squad numbers currently do not suggest that there will be room for the acquisition of as many as 8 or 9 new players in the summer.

Sorry never seen his thing about squad of 20.. id have said for our club somewhere between 20 to 25 would be ideal.. i cant see many more apart from maybe stack or miller getting a contract.. maybe thicot but i doubt it since hes not had much of a chance.. if he keeps stack then we wont need to bring a goalkeeper in..

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-04-2011, 10:59 AM
To answer the question in the thread title - all of them!

Keith_M
30-04-2011, 11:34 AM
I was going to reply to this in a flippant manner but noticed the first reply was deleted as not being 'family friendly'. Probably along the lines of what I was thinking as well. :wink:

OK then, I'll venture that we need a new forward line. Sorry if that offends anyone but I'm afraid thats my honest opinion.

Craig_in_Prague
30-04-2011, 11:40 AM
To answer the question in the thread title - all of them!

:agree:

CB's in particular needs strengthened.

Whilst our midfield is a little better, it needs more quality.

As for our forwards, i'm content to leave this down to CC to sort out what is best for next season, but i'd agree it needs strenghtened on what we have right now. It also seems i'm in the minority and want Deek to stay. Looks unlikely.

Maybe next season we'll have a team to enjoy again, compete away from home, have a sound home record and turn a few teams over big time, get a few more points from the OF and generally be a Hibs side teams don't fancy playing.......... :flag:

BEEJ
30-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Sorry never seen his thing about squad of 20.. id have said for our club somewhere between 20 to 25 would be ideal.. i cant see many more apart from maybe stack or miller getting a contract.. maybe thicot but i doubt it since hes not had much of a chance.. if he keeps stack then we wont need to bring a goalkeeper in..
Thicot was listed yesterday as one of those who will be leaving.