PDA

View Full Version : Lewis agrees one year deal

Barney McGrew
29-04-2011, 08:32 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110429/stevensons-contract-joy_2262950_2349440

vla_di_vla
29-04-2011, 08:34 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110429/stevensons-contract-joy_2262950_2349440

Great stuff. Delighted for him

Jack
29-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Good

Franck Stanton
29-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Good move both by the club and player. Think Lewis will know as far as his days with Hibs are concerned this season is make or break for him. Shows flashes of skill and potential but just not consistent enough. Personally I hope he makes it.

scoopyboy
29-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Good move both by the club and player. Think Lewis will know as far as his days with Hibs are concerned this season is make or break for him. Shows flashes of skill and potential but just not consistent enough. Personally I hope he makes it.

It's in everybody's interest that he makes it, but as I said earlier its last chance saloon for him.

I believe Stack got offered a 1 year deal at the same time as Lewis but haven't heard if he's ging to sign it.

Lewis signed his a couple of weeks ago.

CallumLaidlaw
29-04-2011, 09:00 AM
The best he's looked in recent times has been under CC, so I have no problem with a 1yr deal. Hope he can take his chance

Judas Iscariot
29-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Meh.

jdships
29-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Excellent news :thumbsup:

J-C
29-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Young Lewis seems to respond to certain managers, I don't know if previous managers were just not savvy enough to know how to man manage but JC knew how to get the best out of his younger players and Lewis was one of them. He's had a few injury problems also recently, this also hasn't helped, hopefully CC can bring the best out of him again.

hibee_girl
29-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Delighted he's staying :thumbsup:

smurf
29-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Mystified by this to be honest. CC never plays him and very rarely uses him as a substitute. And certainly not against a backdrop of a good side in a good season... yet he extends his deal? Obviously we all like Lewis and all would have loved to have seen him really establish himself but I'm far from convinced of the merit or indeed the rationale of this deal. Especially when we already have the not much used Ian Murray for flexibility.

Beefster
29-04-2011, 09:43 AM
It is marginally more underwhelming than if we gave Nish a new contract but marginally less underwhelming than if we gave Trakys a new contract.

Stevenson will leave next summer.

Beefster
29-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Mystified by this to be honest. CC never plays him and very rarely uses him as a substitute. And certainly not against a backdrop of a good side in a good season... yet he extends his deal? Obviously we all like Lewis and all would have loved to have seen him really establish himself but I'm far from convinced of the merit or indeed the rationale of this deal. Especially when we already have the not much used Ian Murray for flexibility.

I think the playing budget is being reduced.

DC_Hibs
29-04-2011, 09:46 AM
A left sided squad player that can fill various positions and is not a high wage earner.

I can therefore see the sense in it although I would hope that our first eleven are of a higher standard next season especially now that Calderwood has plenty of room to manoeuvre in the next transfer window with so many (rightly) leaving the club.

hibsbollah
29-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Well done Lewis!

Bob Box Fish
29-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I would have let him go.

Tenacious player but offers little else.

If he was going to establish himself as a first team reg he would have done it by now.

Better using his wage elsewhere and improving the team.

HibbyAndy
29-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Delighted for Lewis.

He signed the contract the middle of 2 weeks ago.

random sub
29-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Done now, good luck Lewis

.Sean.
29-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Old news for us PM's ;)

In all seriousness, i'm pretty chuffed with this now it's official.

LancsHibs
29-04-2011, 11:02 AM
I would have let him go.

Tenacious player but offers little else.

If he was going to establish himself as a first team reg he would have done it by now.

Better using his wage elsewhere and improving the team.

Exactly that:rolleyes:

Hibs90
29-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Good squad player :agree:

Sir David Gray
29-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Quite surprised by this to be honest. He's now 23 so presumably next season will be the final chance for him to get into the team.

If Calderwood thinks he'll be a success then fair enough but I would personally have let him go in the summer.

California-Hibs
29-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Sorry, but i'm gutted about this. The money could of been much better spent else where! If we are to progress as a club and move on to bigger and better things, it means not having a squad that consists of the quality in which players like Lewis Stevenson has to offer.

jdships
29-04-2011, 01:14 PM
"Opinions" are in the mind of the beholder .:greengrin
We have a manager paid to do a job and if he sees something in a player that the punters don't why shouldn't he offer them a contract ?

Let's see what happens 20011/12 :wink:

greenlex
29-04-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't think he will be on big bucks and believe he is on the same deal he was. With all that in mind it's a fair signing. Handy to fill a few roles and committed type of player. You know he will give his all so better the devil you know for the money IMO.

sesoim
30-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Waste of money. We need better players if we want to climb the table. Will Stevenson help us get into the top four?

SneakersO'Toole
30-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Well be certainly didn't justify the decision of an extension today.

Absolutely rank rotten. Completely off the pace. He wasn't the only one mind you...

Judas Iscariot
30-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Absolutely rank rotten. Completely off the pace. He wasn't the only one mind you...

:agree:

Bo surprise really as that's his usual standard an by the looks of it CC is happy with that so we better get used to drivel like that being on show week to week..

RickyS
30-04-2011, 05:04 PM
:agree:

Bo surprise really as that's his usual standard an by the looks of it CC is happy with that so we better get used to drivel like that being on show week to week..

we got a usual Lewis performance today, a reminder that, that standard is not good enough. I dont see what he has done to convince CC to give him a deal that the others didn't or couldn't, unless he agreed to play for sweeties

cabbageandribs1875
30-04-2011, 05:15 PM
is it too late for cc and lewis to reconsider ?? is the ink dry etc ? plzzzzzzz

Beefster
30-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Stevenson proved today that he's a poor man's John Rankin.

RickyS
30-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Stevenson proved today that he's a poor man's John Rankin.:greengrin

imagine that on yer CV:taxi

scoopyboy
30-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Good squad player :agree:

Aye, yer right Meeko.

A squad player in a squad that isnae good enough.

So next year if we improve the squad he will be the complete waste of a year's wages.

I'll give you a bet of any amount you want that one year from now he will not be getting a new contract.

Judas Iscariot
30-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Stevenson proved today that he's a poor man's John Rankin.

But FFS he tries hard :rolleyes:

RickyS
30-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Aye, yer right Meeko.

A squad player in a squad that isnae good enough.

So next year if we improve the squad he will be the complete waste of a year's wages.

I'll give you a bet of any amount you want that one year from now he will not be getting a new contract.

deep down he must know opportunities will be limited next season given (we hope) the squad is being improved. he should have taken the decision to leave and get the chance to play every week. IMHO

Gala Foxes
30-04-2011, 06:42 PM
he always gives his all but too lightweight for the SPL - brushed off the ball time + time again today

Removed
30-04-2011, 06:48 PM
he always gives his all but too lightweight for the SPL - brushed off the ball time + time again today

My ten year old laddie was a mascot today and came out holding Lewis's hand and to be honest I actually wasn't 100% sure who was who till they turned round :greengrin

hibsbollah
30-04-2011, 07:04 PM

I wouldnt have thought he was signed just for todays game in mind. Maybe we should wait more than 90 mins before judging whether it was a good decision or not?

scoopyboy
30-04-2011, 07:13 PM
I wouldnt have thought he was signed just for todays game in mind. Maybe we should wait more than 90 mins before judging whether it was a good decision or not?

With respect Hibsbollah, he was awarded a contract before today's shambles.

Plenty of reason to doubt it as dodgy to say the least, as I said earlier he will never see anther contract and it will turn out he has cost someone else a contract.

He will always be remembered as MOTM in the 5-1 demolition of Kilmarnock but that is the only game he ever seems to be remembered by, has he ever played as well before or since?

RickyS
30-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Plenty of reason to doubt it as dodgy to say the least, as I said earlier he will never see anther contract and it will turn out he has cost someone else a contract.

He will always be remembered as MOTM in the 5-1 demolition of Kilmarnock but that is the only game he ever seems to be remembered by, has he ever played as well before or since?:top marks

jdships
30-04-2011, 08:41 PM
we got a usual Lewis performance today, a reminder that, that standard is not good enough. I dont see what he has done to convince CC to give him a deal that the others didn't or couldn't, unless he agreed to play for sweeties

It's all down to opinions and in this case it is ,quite rightly, CC's opinion that counts :wink::greengrin

matty_f
30-04-2011, 09:22 PM

He will always be remembered as MOTM in the 5-1 demolition of Kilmarnock but that is the only game he ever seems to be remembered by, has he ever played as well before or since?

I agree with you here. I like Stevenson's work ethic, and I like that he can play in a couple of different positions. However that alone does not lift him to the standard of a side with genuine ambitions to challenge at the top end of the table.

I can't remember a solitary game where Lewis has won his midfield battle, against good or bad opposition. Today showed exactly the qualities he brings to the team, and also exposed his limitations, IMHO.

Maybe a year's contract isn't that big a risk, and you could make an argument to say that his recent form has merited it, however if Lewis is seen as a first 11 pick for our midfield next season, then I have real concerns about our ability to regain top 6 status.

California-Hibs
01-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Well i hope more people will start to take the blinkers off after today, yet ANOTHER shockingly poor Lewis Stevenson performance added to the record. The guy is RANK ROTTEN! Never an SPL player.

He was realy good in the cup final 4 years ago mind you.. :rolleyes:

Viva_Palmeiras
01-05-2011, 02:27 AM

Can we not cut him some slack. Is it Lewis' fault that OTHERS remember him for that game? What about Ivan's Ibrox hat trick for example - some chose to remember his sending off in the semi V the yams he cant do anything about that...

As Hibs fans perhaps more than others given we've seemingly nailed out colours to the mast in terms of youth development - expect more of the same. In part is over to us as fans as to how we support this. Kids will be inconsistent, they may be known for "one game wonders" but if we are to progress as a club we need to accept that and give them the support to develop. I'm not saying we have not done this in the case of Lewis but make the point more generally.