PDA

View Full Version : Snooker World Championships

Sir David Gray
29-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Anyone else been watching the snooker over the past couple of weeks?

Now into the semi finals which are between;

Judd Trump vs Ding Junhui
Mark Williams vs John Higgins

One semi final is between two players who will be the future of the game and the other is between the "old guard".

After the opening sessions of each match, Trump and Williams are both leading 5-3.

I've seen a bit of Trump in the past but he's never impressed me like he did yesterday. Some of the shots that he played against Graeme Dott in the previous round as well were brilliant. A couple of times yesterday, he actually reminded me of Ronnie O'Sullivan with his natural ability and also being able to pot balls with his weaker hand.

Neither Trump nor Ding have been in the world final before so nerves may get to both of them as they get closer to winning. However I would back Trump to come through that match as I think he has shown the required form to get to the final.

As for the other match, both those players have been in this position so many times before but I just think that Higgins will have the edge as it's really the first time that Williams has been as far as this in the world championships for quite a number of years.

Higgins, on the other hand, was world champion just two years ago. He'll be looking for his 4th title, whilst Williams will be looking for his 3rd.

H18sry
29-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Anyone else been watching the snooker over the past couple of weeks?

Now into the semi finals which are between;

Judd Trump vs Ding Junhui
Mark Williams vs John Higgins

One semi final is between two players who will be the future of the game and the other is between the "old guard".

After the opening sessions of each match, Trump and Williams are both leading 5-3.

I've seen a bit of Trump in the past but he's never impressed me like he did yesterday. Some of the shots that he played against Graeme Dott in the previous round as well were brilliant. A couple of times yesterday, he actually reminded me of Ronnie O'Sullivan with his natural ability and also being able to pot balls with his weaker hand.

Neither Trump nor Ding have been in the world final before so nerves may get to both of them as they get closer to winning. However I would back Trump to come through that match as I think he has shown the required form to get to the final.

As for the other match, both those players have been in this position so many times before but I just think that Higgins will have the edge as it's really the first time that Williams has been as far as this in the world championships for quite a number of years.

Higgins, on the other hand, was world champion just two years ago. He'll be looking for his 4th title, whilst Williams will be looking for his 3rd.

Depends on how much of a bung he has taken to throw the game :greengrin

Pretty Boy
29-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Would love to see Trump win it.

Not a massive snooker fan but he's a genuinely exciting player to watch, attempt pots from anywhere and reminds me a lot of a young Ronnie O'Sullivan. Trump and Higgins in the final would be a cracker.

Sir David Gray
29-04-2011, 01:46 PM
It would seem that I've put a curse on Trump.

He came out this morning and was abysmal.

Leading 5-3 overnight, he barely looked convincing in any of the frames and was actually fortunate to win two out of the eight frames this morning.

Ding now leads 9-7 going into tonight's third session so it's still game on but Trump was extremely disappointing.

It looks as if Williams is going to go 6-3 ahead in the first frame of their session this afternoon so Higgins has it all to do if he's going to make his 5th final at the Crucible.

H18sry
29-04-2011, 02:03 PM
It would seem that I've put a curse on Trump.

He came out this morning and was abysmal.

Leading 5-3 overnight, he barely looked convincing in any of the frames and was actually fortunate to win two out of the eight frames this morning.

Ding now leads 9-7 going into tonight's third session so it's still game on but Trump was extremely disappointing.

It looks as if Williams is going to go 6-3 ahead in the first frame of their session this afternoon so Higgins has it all to do if he's going to make his 5th final at the Crucible.

He must have had a good handshake :wink:

Sir David Gray
29-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Much better from Trump this evening as he won tonight's third session 5-3 to level the match up at 12 frames all ahead of tomorrow's final session, which will potentially be 9 frames.

Ding actually lead the match 11-8 at one point tonight but Trump took 4 frames in a row to go ahead 12-11 before Ding took the final frame of the night.

Mark Williams will go into tomorrow's third session 9-7 up against John Higgins. It was looking at one point as if it was going to be all over for Higgins as he was 9-5 behind and Williams was looking good for the final two frames before Higgins somehow managed to stay just two frames behind.

Sir David Gray
30-04-2011, 10:13 PM
So we know now that the final, starting tomorrow will be between Judd Trump and John Higgins.

I missed the third session of Higgins' match against Williams this morning and also the final session of Trump's match against Ding (I gather that was a cracker) as Trump came back from 15-14 down to win 17-15.

However I saw most of the Higgins-Williams match tonight and John Higgins showed a brilliant amount of guts as he mounted a comeback. Trailing 9-7 overnight, he was still behind by two frames (11-9) going into frame 21. However, he won the next two frames and was never behind again in the match as he eventually won 17-14.

It will be Higgins' fifth appearance in the final of the world championships and he must be the overwhelming favourite against the 21 year old Trump, who will become the second youngest finalist at the Crucible (just 5 months older than Stephen Hendry was when he made the final in 1990).

The first session of the final begins tomorrow at 2pm and it is the first to 18 frames.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
The snooker world wakes up to the sad news that the sport's most famous commentator, Ted Lowe, has died aged 90.

On the day that the World Championships final begins, it's quite poignant that he should pass away today.

cabbageandribs1875
01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/snooker/13253010.stm

Former snooker commentator Ted Lowe has died at 90, the BBC has learned.

i remember listening to his commentary decades ago

Pretty Boy
01-05-2011, 01:57 PM
The snooker world wakes up to the sad news that the sport's most famous commentator, Ted Lowe, has died aged 90.

On the day that the World Championships final begins, it's quite poignant that he should pass away today.

Just switched on now after taking a break from the relentless action at the Emirates:rolleyes:

I'm assuming there was a minutes silence or some other tribute to Ted Lowe? How were the 1st 2 frames?

Sir David Gray
01-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Just switched on now after taking a break from the relentless action at the Emirates:rolleyes:

I'm assuming there was a minutes silence or some other tribute to Ted Lowe? How were the 1st 2 frames?

There was a minute's applause prior to the two players coming out and Denis Taylor and Stephen Hendry were sharing their memories of him as well as a look back at some of his times as a commentator.

The first frame was fairly scrappy with Trump doing enough to get over the line. Trump did much better in the second frame and he's obviously settled a bit quicker than Higgins did.

Higgins has just pulled a frame back though and it's now 2-1 to Trump. One frame to go before the mid-session interval.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Higgins levels the match up at 2-2.

Another four frames to play this afternoon.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
John Higgins did move ahead for the first time in this final but Trump quickly evened things up again at 3-3.

He has a 32 point lead in frame seven.

HibbyAndy
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Cmon Higgins.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Higgins moves ahead again, 4-3.

One frame remaining this afternoon.

HH81
01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Does it start at 7 tonight or will it be later? bbc2 I think

Sir David Gray
01-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Does it start at 7 tonight or will it be later? bbc2 I think

Tonight's second session starts at 7pm and they will play 9 frames.

HH81
01-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Tonight's second session starts at 7pm and they will play 9 frames.

Can you still bet on snooker or is it a touchy subject when Higgins is involved :greengrin

Cheers anyway.

Scouse Hibee
01-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Anyone spoke to John about which frames he's going to lose tonight so I can put a few quid on it :greengrin

HH81
01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Trump is very very good. He can't half pot some balls.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Trump leads 7-5 going into the mid-session interval of tonight's session. He won the last frame with an immense 103 break. The way he's potting balls tonight, he's going to take some stopping.

Still 5 frames remaining today.

Houchy
01-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I know it's not my job (not being an admin and all that) but I think we need to be a bit careful on what's being said about John Higgins given that he was exhonerated of any serious allegations of match fixing:agree:

Scouse Hibee
01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I know it's not my job (not being an admin and all that) but I think we need to be a bit careful on what's being said about John Higgins given that he was exhonerated of any serious allegations of match fixing:agree:

But he did admit having the conversation saying how easy it would be to throw frames and claimed he went along with the meeting because he was concerned for his safety. Was fined and suspended for bringing the game into disripute regarding this so I hardly think a bit of banter on here is going to bring trouble :wink:

Sergey
01-05-2011, 08:12 PM

The whole Higgins episode was a complete bottle-job by Hearn and the authorities at the WPBSA.

Quentin Haan was kicked out of the sport for something not dissimilar, Higgins should have faced the same punishment. The difference being that Higgins was currently the world #1.

Not good publicity for the sport.

As an aside....there is an exact same case in cycling at the moment with Alberto Contador, the current TdF champ. Others have been banned for the exact same offence, but will they ban Contador?

I think not.

Houchy
01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
But he did admit having the conversation saying how easy it would be to throw frames and claimed he went along with the meeting because he was concerned for his safety. Was fined and suspended for bringing the game into disripute regarding this so I hardly think a bit of banter on here is going to bring trouble :wink:

Of course it would be easy to throw frames and bet on correct scores etc but it's
better to be safe than sorry though surely. As I say, it's not my job to regulate what's said on the boards but why open the board up to any potential problems by commenting on unsubstantiated rumours.

Sergey
01-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Of course it would be easy to throw frames and bet on correct scores etc but it's
better to be safe than sorry though surely. As I say, it's not my job to regulate what's said on the boards but why open the board up to any potential problems by commenting on unsubstantiated rumours.

What unsubstantiated rumours are you referring to?

The guy was caught on camera accepting a bung. What more discriminating evidence is required to prove the guy is guilty?

Sir David Gray
01-05-2011, 08:56 PM
The whole Higgins episode was a complete bottle-job by Hearn and the authorities at the WPBSA.

Quentin Haan was kicked out of the sport for something not dissimilar, Higgins should have faced the same punishment. The difference being that Higgins was currently the world #1.

Not good publicity for the sport.

As an aside....there is an exact same case in cycling at the moment with Alberto Contador, the current TdF champ. Others have been banned for the exact same offence, but will they ban Contador?

I think not.

Having just refreshed my memory of what happened with Hann and Higgins, the two stories are only similar because of their involvement with an undercover journalist from a tabloid newspaper.

Whilst he was wrong to do what he did and there's no question that he was misguided, Higgins has never been suspected of deliberately losing any frame or match.

Hann, meanwhile, did actually lose a match (apparently deliberately) against Ken Doherty in the 2005 China Open, although The Sun did not go through with any payment.

The other difference is that it was Higgins' manager, Pat Mooney, who instigated the meeting and he apparently knew beforehand what the content of the meeting would be. Higgins claimed that his actions during the meeting only came about because he was scared that the Russian mafia were involved.

Rightly or wrongly, the authorities accepted that explanation.

I'm not sure if Hann's manager was involved in his meeting but he seemed to accept his guilt as he resigned from the WPBSA before his hearing took place and did not even attend the hearing to learn of his punishment.

Houchy
01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
What unsubstantiated rumours are you referring to?

The guy was caught on camera accepting a bung. What more discriminating evidence is required to prove the guy is guilty?

I never realised (or saw) JH receiving any "bung", only that he was party to a conversation relating to "match fixing".

Surely if he had been seen to have accepted said "bung", he would not have been booted out of snooker without a leg to stand on?

Sir David Gray
01-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Trump leads 10-7 after the second session and they'll come back tomorrow.

He needs just eight frames tomorrow to become the world champion.

Houchy
01-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Trump leads 10-7 after the second session and they'll come back tomorrow.

He needs just eight frames tomorrow to become the world champion.

He's potted some incredible balls, not only tonight but all tournament. He did go through a spell against Ding for about 8 frames where he was a bit shaky and I think that JH may well have just had his "poor session". Game on tomorrow.:agree:

Jones28
01-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Been watching and enjoying the whole tournament :agree:

Judd Trump is some player, only 21 as well

Wheres the best place for a frame or 2 in Edinburgh?

Houchy
02-05-2011, 02:26 PM

Marco's used to be OK but I don't know if it's there now as they were renovating it and I don't know if it re-opened.:agree:

I can't think of anywhere else in Edinburgh though.

Is Livingston too far for you?

Pretty Boy
02-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Angle Club in Morningside used to be no bad, think it's changed name now. Not brilliant but tables are pretty decent and it's not a bad atmosphere in the place.

7Hero
02-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Best place to play snooker is at the corn exchange, best tables in town by a mile and lovingly looked after and owned by bert who taught steven hendrie amongst others.

Got ten pin bowling pool and a great bar too should you get bored oc snooker

lyonhibs
02-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Vey much looking forward to this evening's session. Could be a great way to round off the Bank Holiday weekend.

Hopefully we'll all be here until late - I love a final frame decider!!

Sir David Gray
02-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Vey much looking forward to this evening's session. Could be a great way to round off the Bank Holiday weekend.

Hopefully we'll all be here until late - I love a final frame decider!!

I was quite busy this afternoon so I missed most of the action. Although he struggled at the start, Higgins did look as if he was in great form in the final few frames as he won the last four frames of the session to come from 12-9 down to lead 13-12.

The play resumes in about 10 minutes' time and there will be a minimum of five frames and a maximum of ten tonight to decide the winner.

Personally I feel that Higgins' experience will see him over the line but Trump has done so well in this tournament that I wouldn't bet against him.

Higgins to win it about 18-15. :agree:

Pretty Boy
02-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Been a good final.

Not always the best quality but really tense.

Even if Trump doesn't win tonight i have no doubt he will win at least 1 world title in his career, very talented and losing to a player of the quality of Higgins in a final is no disgrace at all.

hibsbollah
02-05-2011, 08:44 PM
My kids use 'trump' as a euphemusm for fart. Therefore its causing loads of amusement. Trump to win :-)

Sir David Gray
02-05-2011, 08:51 PM
17-15 to Higgins, my prediction is still on if Higgins takes this current frame. :agree:

Trump looks quite good for this one though as Higgins has gifted him about 16 points through potting the cueball.

Currently has a 48 point lead.

Removed
02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Bad miss from Trump

Sir David Gray
02-05-2011, 08:57 PM
It looks like it's going to be 17-16. Trump missed an easy pink but Higgins couldn't take advantage and Trump came back to pot the red, which was frame ball.

Sir David Gray
02-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Bit of a turnaround here, though.

Higgins got a snooker on the pink and he can now win the world championship with pink and black.

cabbageandribs1875
02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
absolutely amazing by higgins

Sir David Gray
02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Amazing scenes, Higgins wins 18-15 after needing two snookers.

He wins the world title for the 4th time, which means that he is third behind Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis for number of wins at the Crucible.

Sir David Gray
02-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Really emotional scenes from the Crucible.

Delighted that he's won it for his dad. :agree:

Well done, John. :aok:

ArabHibee
02-05-2011, 09:17 PM
At least he can't be accused of throwing the match.:rolleyes:

Houchy
02-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Did I miss something? When Judd missed when he was snookered, JH put him back in where the ball stopped rather than tucking it back behind the pink and having him try to escape from a harder shot than a full ball. Granted it worked out in the end but thought it was a strange decision at first.

Well done anyway on number 4 JH.

CallumLaidlaw
02-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Hazel Irvine is hopeless. She basically tried to get Higgins to cry, and ended up saying
Something along the line of "so your dad isn't here".
Great play from JH tho.

Sir David Gray
02-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Hazel Irvine is hopeless. She basically tried to get Higgins to cry, and ended up saying
Something along the line of "so your dad isn't here".
Great play from JH tho.

:agree: I thought the way she put it to Higgins that, basically, his dad wasn't there but would be watching from above was a bit crass.

I think everyone with an interest in snooker knows that John Higgins' father died a few months back so I don't think it was really necessary to make the point in those terms.

seanraff07
02-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Unlucky Trump, entertained me all the way throughout the tournament and was a breath of fresh air. I think he'll go very far in Snooker.

Well done John Higgins though :agree:

HibbyAndy
02-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Yes Higgins!!

The commentary of Willie Thorne was cringeworthy!!!...I like Trump please do not get me wrong..BUT Thorne was a total phanny...Every time Trump missed he said 'Please god no'.....And....' oh no he has missed'....

I have watched every single Crucible final since 1985 ( Taylor v Davis )...And tonight was the worst bias commentary ever!..I can understand they want their man Trump to win.Came from nowhere and was a genuine breath of fresh air:agree: ..Love this guy :agree: BUT..Willie Thorne... its nights like tonight im GLAD Higgins won..You are a total erse!!!..Made a tit of yourself time and time again..What did Thorne ever do in his career?????? Dont you EVER tell Higgins how to play a shot you total erse of a man!!!! he has won FOUR WORLD TITLES!...Sour grapes from Thorne.

Tonight is the 1st time ive ever witnessed 'biasness' from the bbc...in 20 odd years of watching snooker..It was cringeworthy at times...Hold your English bias heads in shame.

You were a disgrace Willie Thorne!.

lyonhibs
02-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Yes Higgins!!

The commentary of Willie Thorne was cringeworthy!!!...I like Trump please do not get me wrong..BUT Thorne was a total phanny...Every time Trump missed he said 'Please god no'.....And....' oh no he has missed'....

I have watched every single Crucible final since 1985 ( Taylor v Davis )...And tonight was the worst bias commentary ever!..I can understand they want their man Trump to win.Came from nowhere and was a genuine breath of fresh air:agree: ..Love this guy :agree: BUT..Willie Thorne... its nights like tonight im GLAD Higgins won..You are a total erse!!!..Made a tit of yourself time and time again..What did Thorne ever do in his career?????? Dont you EVER tell Higgins how to play a shot you total erse of a man!!!! he has won FOUR WORLD TITLES!...Sour grapes from Thorne.

Tonight is the 1st time ive ever witnessed 'biasness' from the bbc...in 20 odd years of watching snooker..It was cringeworthy at times...Hold your English bias heads in shame.

You were a disgrace Willie Thorne!.

So........ehh......... Willie Thorne is off yer Xmas xard list then?? :confused:

Hazel Irvine and her blatant, tabloid-esque efforts to get Higgins to cry were far worse IMO.

A worthy winner, though Judd Trump will definitely win the World Champs once, if not several times, in his career

HibeeMG
02-05-2011, 11:52 PM
So........ehh......... Willie Thorne is off yer Xmas xard list then?? :confused:

Hazel Irvine and her blatant, tabloid-esque efforts to get Higgins to cry were far worse IMO.

A worthy winner, though Judd Trump will definitely win the World Champs once, if not several times, in his career

Nope, got to disagree with your comments about Hazel.

It was an obvious thing to say to Higgins. She was just doing her job in saying that his father would've been proud. As soon as he started crying she stopped the interview and beckoned his family over. Well done her I say.

HibbyAndy
03-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Everyone thought the same about Jimmy White .

sambajustice
03-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Nope, got to disagree with your comments about Hazel.

It was an obvious thing to say to Higgins. She was just doing her job in saying that his father would've been proud. As soon as he started crying she stopped the interview and beckoned his family over. Well done her I say.

Hazel Irvine was a complete erse!!! She tried 3 times to get him to breakdown and he kept avoiding the questions! He was trying to get him to mention his dad but it was clear he didnt want to talk about it. I was raging just watching it! Irvine was a disgrace!! For some reason she also changed her accent when she was out there talking! Stupid cow!

Peevemor
03-05-2011, 10:17 AM

Sorry, I'm a bit out of touch with the snooker these days, but JUDD TRUMP???

Sounds like a character from a John Grisham novel.

Sergey
03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Did I miss something? When Judd missed when he was snookered, JH put him back in where the ball stopped rather than tucking it back behind the pink and having him try to escape from a harder shot than a full ball. Granted it worked out in the end but thought it was a strange decision at first.

Well done anyway on number 4 JH.

The referee can't call a 'miss' when the frame is at the snookers required stage, hence JH being unable to have the cue ball replaced to it's original position.

EskbankHibby
03-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Hazel Irvine was a complete erse!!! She tried 3 times to get him to breakdown and he kept avoiding the questions! He was trying to get him to mention his dad but it was clear he didnt want to talk about it. I was raging just watching it! Irvine was a disgrace!! For some reason she also changed her accent when she was out there talking! Stupid cow!

Just watched the end interviews on the BBC website and have to agree with you here. You get the impression that if the poor boy didn't break down she was just going to skoosh some lemon juice into his eye.

JimBHibees
03-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Totally agree he was holding it together and she blatantly pushed him over the edge with a comment about his dad looking down with a whisky in his hand. Completely out of order especially when he had been very emotional when he won a competition not long ago.

greenlex
03-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Trump will blow his new found wealth and Fame on hookers and drugs. I give him two years max before he is bankrupt and on the streets or worse stlill "I'm a celebrity". He will never be world champion.
Stupid name. Stupid hair. Flash in the pan. He'll be caught wearing suspenders by the NOTW and that will be that.

HibbyAndy
03-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Trump will blow his new found wealth and Fame on hookers and drugs. I give him two years max before he is bankrupt and on the streets or worse stlill "I'm a celebrity". He will never be world champion.
Stupid name. Stupid hair. Flash in the pan. He'll be caught wearing suspenders by the NOTW and that will be that.

:hilarious

:top marks

Jones28
03-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Cheers for the info guys :thumbsup:

Ended up going to Locarno on Slateford road, cheap as, good tables and crisps for 20p

Now realised how utterly pish i am :agree: