PDA

View Full Version : Rankgers found guilty by UEFA

Barney McGrew
28-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Fans banned from their next away European game, fined 80,000 euros and a suspended ban for fans at a home game.

Hibs Class
28-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Fans banned from their next away Eurpoean game, fined 80,000 euros and a suspended ban for fans at a home game.

Got off lightly in my opinion. Token fine and doesn't hit them in the pocket through loss of income for a home game. It's only a matter of time before they're charged again though, and they'll be hit harder next time.

SteveHFC
28-04-2011, 05:12 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Westie1875
28-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Got off lightly in my opinion. Token fine and doesn't hit them in the pocket through loss of income for a home game. It's only a matter of time before they're charged again though, and they'll be hit harder next time.

Agree with this, not really punishing them that much IMO.

Hibs Class
28-04-2011, 05:24 PM
BBC don't have story up yet but headline suggests fine is only €40,000.

Barney McGrew
28-04-2011, 05:32 PM
BBC don't have story up yet but headline suggests fine is only €40,000.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/245785-supporter-ban-and-fine-for-rangers-over-sectarian-singing/

Top Pans Hibby
28-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Surely now time for the SFA to get serious about sectarianism.

SFA should be following this up with fines, banning orders, deduction of points etc

Time for excuses is over.

Golden Bear
28-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Fans banned from their next away European game, fined 80,000 euros and a suspended ban for fans at a home game.

How on earth can the authorities effectively enforce the ban on Rangers fans travelling to the next European game?

If they want travel they will and if there is the slightest chance of tickets being made available (from whatever source) then they'll buy them.

Removed
28-04-2011, 06:00 PM

SFA should be following this up with fines, banning orders, deduction of points etc

:agree:

Huns got off lightly imo

offshorehibby
28-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Chick on radio Scotland sportsound this evening still coming out with the statement 'aledged' sectarian chanting, what planet is he on.

Hibercelona
28-04-2011, 06:29 PM

The SFA don't care. :yawn:

They've had 138 years to do something about it and they'll make the same amount of progress within the next 138 years.

3pm
28-04-2011, 06:30 PM
The idiots will still travel in their droves giving Scotland a crap name. They'll watch the game in a bar get wrecked and trash whatever city has the misfortune to host them.

hibsbollah
28-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Lenient.

Baldy Foghorn
28-04-2011, 06:51 PM
The SFA don't care. :yawn:

They've had 138 years to do something about it and they'll make the same amount of progress within the next 138 years.

Exactly, they continue to bury their collective heads in the sand...... Time to make a stance but they are too cowardly.....

Winston Ingram
28-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm happy with the ban. Watching them trying to keep a lid on their bile will be hilarious.

If their 1st Euro game is on the TV, I'll be watching with the volume up full

Andy74
28-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Nowt will change until they also accept that the likes of Rule Britannia and God Save the Queen in context are just as bad.

Hermit Crab
28-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Chance would be a fine thing. The SFA have no balls to do any of these things especially the docking of points if it means one of their beloved finishing way down the league. Sad but true,the SFA have protected their clubs and personel for years.

Hermit Crab
28-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Chick on radio Scotland sportsound this evening still coming out with the statement 'aledged' sectarian chanting, what planet is he on.

Hes a closet currant bun anyway, who cares what that scrote thinks :greengrin

IWasThere2016
28-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Well said Mr Pans.

The_Sauz
28-04-2011, 07:35 PM

So should the police and Hollyrood :agree:

The_Sauz
28-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I love this bit from Bain in the BBC website:
"We are committed to the eradication of sectarianism and believe it would have been more constructive for FARE to work with our club rather than against it"

Yet the continue to play & sell their party songs at Ibrox, which just encourages the :asshole:even more.

Out with a Celtic match, how many Rangers fans have been arrested at Ibrox or even had there season tickets revoked for sing sectarian songs...........I'll have a guess 0

heretoday
28-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Rangers have got away with it.

Obviously the people at UEFA don't appreciate, or haven't been properly briefed as to how offensive the Huns songs are.

twiceinathens
28-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Rangers have got away with it.

Obviously the people at UEFA don't appreciate, or haven't been properly briefed as to how offensive the Huns songs are.
When you take into account how the SPL will react to -sorry ignore- the "minority" of bigotry pedlars of both persuasions filling the away end- as will be inevitable when they next visit Easter Road this is hardly unexpected.

Sir David Gray
28-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Fair enough, take action, but I think UEFA should be publishing a clear list of songs/chants that the Rangers fans cannot sing and tell them which songs/chants got the club into bother in the first place.

I'm sure the Billy Boys will be one of them but after that, I'm struggling to think on any that could realistically be banned.

Although we know all about why the Rangers fans sing them, there is no way whatsoever that the authorities could ban God Save the Queen or Rule, Britannia! from being played at Ibrox over the PA system or sung by Rangers fans.

I don't even think that a ban on The Sash could be legally enforced, if Rangers were to fight it in the courts.

AFKA5814_Hibs
28-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Suspended on the basis of what? That no more sectarian singing is heard at Rangers games?

UEFA ain't daft, they know fair well that the Hun fans will sign their songs at the next European home game and that they'll be able to impose the extra sanctions on them in the future. Good move by UEFA IMO.

Bostonhibby
28-04-2011, 09:10 PM

Nowhere near enough to stop them - They should let the rest of us vote on it : -

1. Sew their eyes up with wire.

2. Ban all flights and ferries from Belfast.

3. Relocate them to their spiritual homeland, England, they could play all their home games in Regents park in full view of the Palace.

or,

Double or quits question, multiple choice, ban or no ban (Uefa and / or the telly will never really act to stop them totally) :-

1690 - What was, or is it?

a) Your Burds weight in Kilograms?

b) A tattoo you got, like your mum and dads?

c) All the Glaswegians in the home crowd when air traffic controllers are
on strike at Belfast airport?

d) Something wot was mentioned at school to do wiv the battling Boing
and a man with a tarts wig on. He might have been Dutch like that
Dave Advocaat?

e) A number that you are often implored to "remember" but you don't know
why as your failure to master basic literacy meant there was no point
going to the history lessons - see d) above.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-04-2011, 09:29 PM
If the KKK stopped burning crosses would that mean that they are no longer racists? Too many people follow Rangers as a natural expression of their sectarian outlook. While I sympathise with RFC's decent fans I have to condemn the club for associating itself with the outrageous comments of Martin Bain with his " they are out to get us " drivel. If ever there was a chance for Rangers official to say to the bigots, that they are acting to the severe detriment to the club they supposedly love, it was now.

Bostonhibby
28-04-2011, 09:39 PM
If the KKK stopped burning crosses would that mean that they are no longer racists? Too many people follow Rangers as a natural expression of their sectarian outlook. While I sympathise with RFC's decent fans I have to condemn the club for associating itself with the outrageous comments of Martin Bain with his " they are out to get us " drivel. If ever there was a chance for Rangers official to say to the bigots, that they are acting to the severe detriment to the club they supposedly love, it was now.

:top marks Serious point here - the word "they" in this context is usually how the siege mentality that seems to justify the behaviour comes about in their minds. There is a new group ganging up on their group, a bit like picking on a group whose blood you'd like to be up to your knees in for example.

Bain is digging his own grave here, if the hun are in his mind being singled out because of a particular stance they take, or allegiance they allegedly have then its no different to their hatred of other, albeit different groups, that they spout their bile towards

You have to feel for the poor mites, being picked on for having a bit of a sing song.

hibsbollah
28-04-2011, 09:52 PM

What a great post.

crewetollhibee
28-04-2011, 10:29 PM

Correct, it's like a member of staff being brought into line by a senior manager, rather than his immediate superior. If that happened in the real world, then that senior manager would be asking serious questions about the member of staff's supervisor, as to why he/she (the senior manager) had to be brought in to deal with it. Hopefully now UEFA have addressed this, the SFA will get their head's out of their ***** and deal with this properly. Maybe if the SFA were also held accountable for their member's fans behaviour by UEFA things might change ? (Won't hold my breath though).

JE89
28-04-2011, 11:27 PM

My thoughts exactly. Shows how scared the SPL are of them. The fact they play 38 games a season in Scotland signing the same sectarian rubbish and nothing gets done about it is a joke

basehibby
29-04-2011, 02:59 PM

:top marks Rangers are entirely culpable for the behaviour of their fans - they have sooked up to the bigots and curried favour with them for decades since their supposed sea-change act of actually signing a catholic (whoopeedoo!). What with their orange away shirts and stirring up the fervour with their pre-match disney bigot fests it's obvious to anyone that's interested that Rangers have merely paid lip service to fighting sectarianism while coveting and soliciting their cash.
The SPL and the SFA are every bit as bad for their attitude of hiding their eyes from the problem and hoping it will all just blow over. With the recent abominable sectarian bomb plots which are CLEARLY linked to Glasgow's ulster obsessed football culture, the time is ripe for Bain and the football authorities to nail their standard to the mast and make a real stand - the denial which we're hearing from them is just plain pathetic and they deserve everything they're getting and more from UEFA.

Saorsa
29-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Fans banned from their next away European game, fined 80,000 euros and a suspended ban for fans at a home game.Far too lenient IMO but at least they've done something unlike the gutless cowards at the S(G)FA.

HibbyAndy
29-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Far too lenient IMO but at least they've done something unlike the gutless cowards at the S(G)FA.

:agree:

FAR to lenient for they ****bags.

SFA have nae baws..Dinnae expect them anytime soon to get involved..Erseholes.

moredun
30-04-2011, 08:50 AM
How on earth can the authorities effectively enforce the ban on Rangers fans travelling to the next European game?

If they want travel they will and if there is the slightest chance of tickets being made available (from whatever source) then they'll buy them.

And the weegie meedja will make a great laugh out of the huns trying to get to the game as one big laugh, and we will get the headline "planes trains and automobiles, the loyal rangers will get there" they weill turn it round so the huns will be made to look like poor wee souls just trying to followfollow their team.

StevieC
30-04-2011, 08:59 AM
And the weegie meedja will make a great laugh out of the huns trying to get to the game as one big laugh, and we will get the headline "planes trains and automobiles, the loyal rangers will get there" they weill turn it round so the huns will be made to look like poor wee souls just trying to followfollow their team.

Surely if the rangers fans turn up in numbers at the match that will incur further disciplinary procedures from UEFA? Possibly even result in the suspended home ban kicking in?

Joe Baker II
02-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Fair enough, take action, but I think UEFA should be publishing a clear list of songs/chants that the Rangers fans cannot sing and tell them which songs/chants got the club into bother in the first place.

I'm sure the Billy Boys will be one of them but after that, I'm struggling to think on any that could realistically be banned.

Although we know all about why the Rangers fans sing them, there is no way whatsoever that the authorities could ban God Save the Queen or Rule, Britannia! from being played at Ibrox over the PA system or sung by Rangers fans.

I don't even think that a ban on The Sash could be legally enforced, if Rangers were to fight it in the courts.

I totally agree that there should be a clear list, making charges vague is what really gets Rangers fans backs up.

Even the Billy Boys Rangers might be able to contest if they really wanted to. They could argue it was sung by Hearts fans v Sparta Prague in 2006 with the Fenian blood words (same year that UEFA banned any version of the song been sung by Rangers fans), and seems fatuous that UEFA edict banning any version of the Marching Through Georgia tune applies for Rangers supporters only.

Not saying they should be punished but UEFA seems to have decided on leninency, other than the difficulty of enforcing away fans ban, the 1 game is likley to be a champions league qualifier at start of season at less-accessible venue only known at short-notice, will probably not be many Rangers fans going anyway.

Joe Baker II
02-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Surely if the rangers fans turn up in numbers at the match that will incur further disciplinary procedures from UEFA? Possibly even result in the suspended home ban kicking in?

No, I realise some more myopic supporters of other clubs may hope this willl happen, but it is not in the remit of clubs to stop people travelling across Europe and UEFA has acknowledged this before.

Hibbyradge
02-05-2011, 01:49 PM
If ever there was a chance for Rangers official to say to the bigots, that they are acting to the severe detriment to the club they supposedly love, it was now.

To be fair, that's pretty much exactly what McCoist said.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/245785-supporter-ban-and-fine-for-rangers-over-sectarian-singing/

basehibby
02-05-2011, 01:55 PM
To be fair, that's pretty much exactly what McCoist said.

...while his chairman performs acrobatics in his efforts to deflect blame and generally deny they have a problem :rolleyes:

Brizo
02-05-2011, 01:58 PM
No, I realise some more myopic supporters of other clubs may hope this willl happen, but it is not in the remit of clubs to stop people travelling across Europe and UEFA has acknowledged this before.

Serious question and not on the wind up. Are you a Rangers fan ?

StevieC
02-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Rubbish. Clubs and Associations have prevented fans from travelling in the past.

If the supporters are banned and they ignore that ban then UEFA will be more than able to dish out a punishment to the club. Clubs have as much remit over what supporters sing as they do how/where/when they travel and it didn't stop UEFA dishing out the current punishment.

Rangers have the ability to issue the ultimatum that any supporters entering a particular country within a particular timescale will be banned from Ibrox, that seems like a fairly convincing "remit" to me. If Rangers fail to prevent supporters travelling they can (and I suspect will) be made accountable.

Serious question and not on the wind up. Are you a Rangers fan ?

I get the impression that Joe Baker II has leanings towards Celtc, but he has also given the impression of a bit of an OF apologist during discussions in the past.

As an aside .. "Billy Boys" came through loud and clear on yesterdays highlights.

moredun
02-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Yeah you would think that eh.
And would that stop the morons, i doubt it.

If they had that common sense, they would not be in this predicament in the first place.