PDA

View Full Version : The Glasgow School of Football Management

heretoday
28-04-2011, 08:52 AM
On Radio Five Live tonight at 20.00 hrs Glasgow managers are celebrated.

Thing is Jock Stein and Matt Busby - to name but two - were not from Glasgow or its suburbs.

I wonder if that will be acknowledged or ignored to suit the BBC's thesis of tough, ambitious men from the dark, satanic city.

Ooh the banter!

JimBHibees
28-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Thing is Jock Stein and Matt Busby - to name but two - were not from Glasgow or its suburbs.

I wonder if that will be acknowledged or ignored to suit the BBC's thesis of tough, ambitious men from the dark, satanic city.

Ooh the banter!

Neither Stein, Busby or Shankly came from Glasgow. Think Stein and Busby from near Bellshill and Shankly from Glenburk a small mining village in Ayrshire.

Sir David Gray
28-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Bearing in mind the English media's knowledge of Scottish geography in general, Hamilton (Jock Stein) and Bellshill (Matt Busby) are probably considered to be within the wider Glasgow area.

Don't be surprised if they are included in this programme.

Just on the point of Bellshill, they should probably be doing a programme on Bellshill's contribution to football alone.

I remember when I was younger collecting the Panini stickers and putting them in my album and looking at all the information on players and I seem to recall an awful lot of them stating their place of birth as Bellshill.

Kenny Arthur (ex-Partick Thistle goalkeeper)
Craig Brown (Aberdeen manager)
Matt Busby (ex-Manchester Utd manager)
Barry Ferguson (Birmingham)
Derek Ferguson (ex-Rangers)
Peter Grant (ex-Celtic)
Michael Hart (Hibs)
Brian Irvine (ex-Aberdeen)
Brian Kerr (Dundee)
David Lilley (Queen of the South)
Malky Mackay (Watford manager)
Kevin McBride (Raith Rovers)
Ryan McCann (Ayr)
Brian McClair (ex-Manchester Utd)
Ally McCoist (Rangers assistant)
Lee McCulloch (Rangers)
Billy McNeill (ex-Celtic)
Hugh Murray (St Mirren)
Phil O'Donnell (ex-Celtic, Motherwell)
Jim Paterson (Plymouth)
John Rankin (Hibs)

All of the above were born in Bellshill and for a town with a population of just 30,000, that is some amount of "famous" residents all involved in one sport.

Seanair
28-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Neither Stein, Busby or Shankly came from Glasgow. Think Stein and Busby from near Bellshill and Shankly from Glenburk a small mining village in Ayrshire.

Not quibbling, but it is Glenbuck--near Muirkirk. Also believe they had a (junior?) team called Glenbuck Cherrypickers which the Shanklys (Bill and Bob) might have played for.

JimBHibees
28-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Not quibbling, but it is Glenbuck--near Muirkirk. Also believe they had a (junior?) team called Glenbuck Cherrypickers which the Shanklys (Bill and Bob) might have played for.

You are right. Was down at Anfield on the tour last week so should have known :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
28-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Bearing in mind the English media's knowledge of Scottish geography in general, Hamilton (Jock Stein) and Bellshill (Matt Busby) are probably considered to be within the wider Glasgow area.

Just on the point of Bellshill, they should probably be doing a programme on Bellshill's contribution to football alone.

I remember when I was younger collecting the Panini stickers and putting them in my album and looking at all the information on players and I seem to recall an awful lot of them stating their place of birth as Bellshill.

Peter Grant (ex-Celtic)
Michael Hart (Hibs)
Brian Kerr (Dundee)
Ryan McCann (Ayr)
Lee McCulloch (Rangers)
Hugh Murray (St Mirren)
Jim Paterson (Plymouth)
John Rankin (Hibs)

All of the above were born in Bellshill and for a town with a population of just 30,000, that is some amount of "famous" residents all involved in one sport.

That's a bit misleading. The maternity hospital in Bellshill covers not just the town but a few of the nearby towns as well.

Sir David Gray
28-04-2011, 10:10 AM
That's a bit misleading. The maternity hospital in Bellshill covers not just the town but a few of the nearby towns as well.

I did read that on wikipedia earlier on but it must still be quite a disproportionate number of football players coming from that small area of west central Scotland.

JimBHibees
28-04-2011, 10:11 AM

Peter Grant (ex-Celtic)
Michael Hart (Hibs)
Brian Kerr (Dundee)
Ryan McCann (Ayr)
Lee McCulloch (Rangers)
Hugh Murray (St Mirren)
Jim Paterson (Plymouth)
John Rankin (Hibs)

Was their place of birth as much to do with where the Maternity hospital was for example most of West Lothian would be born in Livingston but the people would be from other places such as Broxburn, Armadale, West Calder, Fauldhouse etc. Would imagine it is the same with many other places covered by Bellshill being named as a place of birth.

pacorosssco
28-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Was their place of birth as much to do with where the Maternity hospital was for example most of West Lothian would be born in Livingston but the people would be from other places such as Broxburn, Armadale, West Calder, Fauldhouse etc. Would imagine it is the same with many other places covered by Bellshill being named as a place of birth.

whats the eastern general. leiths own hospital quota.

additionally the Queen Margret? abbeyhill?

heretoday
28-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Glenbuck is now just a signpost, I gather. No one lives there any more since pit closure. Is there not a plaque to Shankly too?

Glenbuck Cherrypickers v Bellshill Maternity. That was some game! :greengrin

heretoday
28-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I've heard the first hour of this programme in the interests of research. They're still referring to Stein, Busby and Shankly as the "forefathers" of today's Glasgow managers.

It's been quite nice to hear the stories of Messrs McLeish, Graham and Coyle but now the hacks have descended into cliche-land and it's time to watch the UEFA Cup semi.

Bostonhibby
28-04-2011, 09:49 PM

I wonder if that will be acknowledged or ignored to suit the BBC's thesis of tough, ambitious men from the dark, satanic city.Ooh the banter!

All Bollox anyway, everyone knows that not one of them have ever appeared in Taggart even as an extra, and Jim Taggart is the benchmark they all have to aspire to:wink:

You're right though reality is often different, Everyone Dan Sarf's favourite Glasgow hardman is another Bellshill boy.