PDA

View Full Version : NHC Sir Kenny Dalglish?

iwasthere1972
27-04-2011, 02:31 PM
According to SSN and the below report, 13 MP's have signed commons motion calling for King Kenny to be knighted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1381095/Liverpools-Kenny-Dalglish-knighted-say-MPs.html

Good Call. :agree:

Well if Elton John and Cliff Richard can get a knighthood then.....................

blairwallace
27-04-2011, 03:53 PM
great call!

if Alex Ferguson can get one then KKD should of already had one years ago!

sunshine1875
27-04-2011, 04:04 PM
On the subject of Kenny Dalglish, am I correct in saying that he is missing from the Match of the Day video that mixes players from the past and the current crop. The one that has Cantona, Keegan, Genoa along with Rooney, Bale etc.

I have watched it a few times and cannot see him. If I am corect it seems a very strange omission considering some lesser stars are shown in the video.

Video now attached..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDIK7RQmZ5E

Bishop Hibee
27-04-2011, 04:59 PM
On the subject of Kenny Dalglish, am I correct in saying that he is missing from the Match of the Day video that mixes players from the past and the current crop. The one that may has Cantona, Keegan, Genoa along with Rooney, Bale etc.

I have watched it a few times and cannot see him. If I am corect it seems a very strange omission considering some lesser stars are shown in the video.

Does it show any Scottish players :confused: Football in the 80's is often pretty much airbrushed from football history in Ingurlundshire.

King Kenny certainly provided more entertainment than that twat Reg Dwight although his wigs are usually worth a laugh.

Keith_M
27-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Does it show any Scottish players :confused: Football in the 80's is often pretty much airbrushed from football history in Ingurlundshire.

King Kenny certainly provided more entertainment than that twat Reg Dwight although his wigs are usually worth a laugh.

The next royal couple maybe: King Kenny and Queen Elton?

:greengrin

Boris
27-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Interesting if it comes off - surely the first time a Queen has been asked to knight the King.........................

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2011, 07:36 PM
According to SSN and the below report, 13 MP's have signed commons motion calling for King Kenny to be knighted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1381095/Liverpools-Kenny-Dalglish-knighted-say-MPs.html

Good Call. :agree:

Well if Elton John and Cliff Richard can get a knighthood then.....................

It was announced at the recent memorial service that this motion was to be put forward.

monktonharp
29-04-2011, 01:05 AM
i'm losing the will to live:eyes:

James70
29-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Just a little off topic but I'm sure that if Jock Stein had been English or had successfully managed a top English club then he would have been knighted. I certainly believe that he deserved a knighthood.

lyonhibs
29-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Bit of a no-brainer. Should definitely get a knighthood if Alex Ferguson has got one.

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Just a little off topic but I'm sure that if Jock Stein had been English or had successfully managed a top English club then he would have been knighted. I certainly believe that he deserved a knighthood.

What a load of nonsense, "the English theory" unsurprisingly is used again! Plenty of people who have percieved as deserving of a knighthood have missed out!
Scottish King Kenny who managed a successful English club hasn't got a knighthood yet!!

BryanV
29-04-2011, 08:38 AM
What a load of nonsense, "the English theory" unsurprisingly is used again! Plenty of people who have percieved as deserving of a knighthood have missed out!
Scottish King Kenny who managed a successful English club hasn't got a knighthood yet!!

That hardly proves your point as they are not equivalents. Stein had success on a European scale as a manager. However, according to official documents Stein was denied the knighthood due to the violent scenes against River Plate. Whether or not Dalglish deserves a knighthood this is a piece of political opportunism.

James70
29-04-2011, 08:45 AM
I doubt if Kenny's management record could be compared to Jock Stein's who not only had a tremendous domestic record with Dunfermline Athletic, Hibs and Celtic but also was the manager of the first British team to win the European Cup with a team composed completely of players born within 30 miles of Glasgow.

Matt Busby on the other hand was knighted not long after winning the same competition and while I am not arguing against his honour considering the traumas in his own career (especially as I watched many Utd games while he was manager!) I feel that Stein was unfairly overlooked.

I agree that there are other celebrities such as Bruce Forsyth for instance who have mysteriously been ignored year after year whilst others whose faces obviously fit get a knighthood very quickly. Would Ken Dodd for instance have been knighted if it had not been for his problems with the taxman?

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2011, 09:05 AM
That hardly proves your point as they are not equivalents. Stein had success on a European scale as a manager. However, according to official documents Stein was denied the knighthood due to the violent scenes against River Plate. Whether or not Dalglish deserves a knighthood this is a piece of political opportunism.

What official documents, are they now in the public domain? Baffled by your equivilants remark in regard to European success as a manager, Dalglish is not being suggested for the honour solely for his success on the pitch in regard to trophies or titles.

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2011, 09:08 AM
I doubt if Kenny's management record could be compared to Jock Stein's who not only had a tremendous domestic record with Dunfermline Athletic, Hibs and Celtic but also was the manager of the first British team to win the European Cup with a team composed completely of players born within 30 miles of Glasgow.

Matt Busby on the other hand was knighted not long after winning the same competition and while I am not arguing against his honour considering the traumas in his own career (especially as I watched many Utd games while he was manager!) I feel that Stein was unfairly overlooked.

I agree that there are other celebrities such as Bruce Forsyth for instance who have mysteriously been ignored year after year whilst others whose faces obviously fit get a knighthood very quickly. Would Ken Dodd for instance have been knighted if it had not been for his problems with the taxman?

The proposed knighthood is not because of what Kenny Dalglish has or has not won as a manager!

BryanV
29-04-2011, 09:13 AM
What official documents, are they now in the public domain? Baffled by your equivilants remark in regard to European success as a manager, Dalglish is not being suggested for the honour solely for his success on the pitch in regard to trophies or titles.

You said Stein can't have been overlooked due to managing a Scottish club as Dalglish had been overlooked and he managed an English club, that is what I was responding to. The equivalent comparison would be Busby who received a knighthood for winning the European cup the year after, as you are no doubt aware. It is hard not to believe that the re-building of United after Muich did not add weight to his nomination. The documents regarding Stein were released by Scottish Freedom of Information Commissioner a couple of years ago.

Is it on the basis of his playing career that Dalglish is being nominated?

Beefster
29-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Folk scream for guys that could once kick a ball about well to get knighted yet most folk that dedicate their lives to helping others get ignored.

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2011, 09:50 AM
You said Stein can't have been overlooked due to managing a Scottish club as Dalglish had been overlooked and he managed an English club, that is what I was responding to. The equivalent comparison would be Busby who received a knighthood for winning the European cup the year after, as you are no doubt aware. It is hard not to believe that the re-building of United after Muich did not add weight to his nomination. The documents regarding Stein were released by Scottish Freedom of Information Commissioner a couple of years ago.

Is it on the basis of his playing career that Dalglish is being nominated?

Ah! I was responding to the original post in response to the "English" reference which I thought was ridiculous. Yes totally agree with the "circumstances" that may have added weight to the Busby nomination. The same could now be said of the Dalglish nomination which has largely come about due to the Hillsborough disaster and his handling of the situation, the dignity and direction that he gave to the club and is still committed to the justice campaign. The campaigning for his knighthood has largely come off the back of that. I don't for one minute attempt to take away the fact that Jock Stein was worthy of a similar award, I simply took exception to the OP suggesting the lack of an English factor being the reason. You have supported my response with the mention of the document of which I had no knowledge.

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Folk scream for guys that could once kick a ball about well to get knighted yet most folk that dedicate their lives to helping others get ignored.

Yes totally agree, the whole system of honours is dictated by the ability to have a high profile or influential campaign or body to basically ask for one!

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-04-2011, 10:44 AM
I would give Dalglish a knight-hood for the composed and consistent way that he steered his club through the Hillsborough tragedy.

James70
29-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Yes totally agree, the whole system of honours is dictated by the ability to have a high profile or influential campaign or body to basically ask for one!

At last we are in agreement! My whole point was that Scottish football is not as high profile as English football and does not carry the same influence on a national scale. If you took my comment as being anti-English then I apologise as it was not intended that way. My schooldays were spent in Manchester and I had many friends there.

Tynie01011973
29-04-2011, 11:38 AM
great call!

if Alex Ferguson can get one then KKD should of already had one years ago!

lyonhibs
Bit of a no-brainer. Should definitely get a knighthood if Alex Ferguson has got one.

You cannot seriously link the campaign for Kenny Dalglish and Alex Ferguson being knighted together ?

Ferguson was given his due to his managerial record - not only with Man Utd but also with Aberdeen over a 30+ year career.

Dalglish's managerial career cannot be even remotely compared with Ferguson's.

There is no need to link SAF to this campaign - whether Kenny Dalglish receives/deserves a Knighthood should be considered on it's own merits NOT because 'SAF' got one !!!!.

:rolleyes:

TheEastTerrace
29-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Agree Dalglish should be knighted.

Others criminally over-looked were Shankly and Paisley.

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2011, 03:28 PM
At last we are in agreement! My whole point was that Scottish football is not as high profile as English football and does not carry the same influence on a national scale. If you took my comment as being anti-English then I apologise as it was not intended that way. My schooldays were spent in Manchester and I had many friends there.

:aok: No problem I probably read too much into your comments...........you Scottish git! :greengrin

heretoday
29-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I think everyone should be knighted. Then you get it taken off you if you do anything wrong.

BryanV
29-04-2011, 04:42 PM
I think everyone should be knighted. Then you get it taken off you if you do anything wrong.

Good idea, Sir Heretoday.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-04-2011, 09:57 PM
In my opinion, Kenny is the best Scottish footballer ever.

Tynie01011973
29-04-2011, 10:15 PM
In my opinion, Kenny is the best Scottish footballer ever.

Dont think you will get anyone on here who disagrees with that.

However, the campaign that has been proposed by a handful of MP's is that KD deserves a 'Knighthood' due to the work/compassion he showed in dealing with the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster.

Nothing to do with his playing/managing career.

Some Liverpuddle supporting Mp's are hell bent on trying to get him 'knighted'.

Funny that he 'quit' managing Liverpool in 1991 as a result of the Hillsborough stress - YET then decided to manage Blackburn Rovers in the same season - stress is a funny thing aint it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Dalglish
:wink: