PDA

View Full Version : £22?

magnificent_seven
27-04-2011, 10:03 AM
For Saturdays game against St. Johnstone. Two teams that, lets be honest, have nothing to play for. Why on earth are Hibs charging £22 to watch that. The crowd is going to be dreadful. Surely bringing it down to £15/£16 would make a lot more sense, no?

Kojock
27-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Would they then refund all the season ticket holders who attend the £6 or £7.

magnificent_seven
27-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Not sure how it would work but the attendance on Saturday is going to be a joke.

If you are a father of 2 then is going cost you £46, plus travel, food and whatever else, to watch 8th vs 9th, with no real incetive to either team. How is that appealing to anyone?

Clubs do promotions all the time, it's one of the last home games of the season, season ticket holders wouldn't be out of pocket!

grantonhibee
27-04-2011, 10:20 AM
shocking can see another half filled stadium , petrie at his finest

marinello59
27-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Here we go agsain.
It's a meaningless game - drop the prices and get the fans in.
It's not long since we had ''It could be a relegation decider - drop the prices so we can all get behind the team.''
Or ''We still have a chance of top six. - drop the prices so we can all get behind the team.''
Always the answer isn't it? Only it doesn't actually work. The only way to boost crowds to a significant level without incurring a large financial loss is to have a team worth watching. That will cost money, how will dropping prices now help with the rebuilding process that needs to be done. Sometimes it is up to the fans themselves to do something, not the club.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2011, 10:24 AM
If my calculations are spot on, if an adult paid at the gate for every home game this season, it would cost them £443, as opposed to the £405 that it cost to buy a season ticket this season.

Non-season ticket holders have already had the opportunity to get into a match free of charge this season (Inverness CT) so that brings the cost of paying at the gate this season down to £421. If Hibs were to reduce the cost of an adult ticket for Saturday's game by around £7, that would mean that it would have cost £414 to pay at the gate for every game this season.

Presumably you also think that Hibs should do this again for our final home game of the season against Aberdeen, since that too is a meaningless game for both sides. If Hibs reduced adult prices, for a second time, by around £7 then the cost of paying at the gate this season would be £407 - a mere £2 more expensive than it would have cost to buy a season ticket.

If Hibs were to do this, season ticket sales for next season would be almost non-existent.

marinello59
27-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Not sure how it would work but the attendance on Saturday is going to be a joke.

If you are a father of 2 then is going cost you £46, plus travel, food and whatever else, to watch 8th vs 9th, with no real incetive to either team. How is that appealing to anyone?

Clubs do promotions all the time, it's one of the last home games of the season, season ticket holders wouldn't be out of pocket!

Season tickets are sold partly on it being cheaper to pay up front. If that was no longer the case then yes, season ticket holders will be out of pocket.

Stevie Reid
27-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Here we go agsain.
It's not long since we had ''It could be a relegation decider - drop the prices so we can all get behind the team.''
Or ''We still have a chance of top six. - drop the prices so we can all get behind the team.''
Always the answer isn't it? Only it doesn't actually work. The only way to boost crowds to a significant level without incurring a large financial loss is to have a team worth watching. That will cost money, how will dropping prices now help with the rebuilding process that needs to be done. Sometimes it is up to the fans themselves to do something, not the club.

Very true. Yet the feeling towards a 10 team SPL is mostly negative, despite the fact that the reason ten was indicated to be the best was due to the fact that all teams would get more money out of it.

I admit that I'm not especially keen, but the numbers seem better - and FWIW, you'd get far less meaningless games in a 10 team league.

Hibernia Na Eir
27-04-2011, 10:27 AM
i keep getting e-mails from Hibs and for the Accies and St Midden games i was sitting waiting to see if the e-mail was gonna say a discounted price, but, no. Full price for meaningless games in hard times. What are Hibs playing at? Makes no sense at all. No wonder gates are awful.

Part/Time Supporter
27-04-2011, 10:31 AM
It's still a "meaningless game" irrespective of price.

I doubt whether they would get much of a crowd even if they offered free entry!

magnificent_seven
27-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Sorry, I forgot about all the high powered businessmen who call the shots on this forum. It was a s*** idea then. We will just settle for the 6-7k tickets and miss out on any extra income from dropping walk in prices.

I no longer have a season ticket due to work commitments at the weekends, but when I was a season ticket holder, I didn't care if the club ran a promotion or a discount. Especially for games like this. I always thought that the more fans in the better. I had my season ticket, not for the discounted prices on games but for the privelege of having my OWN seat for every home game and a guaranteed seat for the old firm games and games against Hearts.

If ticket prices were dropped for Saturday, we would get extra people going and that equals extra money, simple as.

Stevie Reid
27-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Sorry, I forgot about all the high powered businessmen who call the shots on this forum. It was a s*** idea then. We will just settle for the 6-7k tickets and miss out on any extra income from dropping walk in prices.

I no longer have a season ticket due to work commitments at the weekends, but when I was a season ticket holder, I didn't care if the club ran a promotion or a discount. Especially for games like this. I always thought that the more fans in the better. I had my season ticket, not for the discounted prices on games but for the privelege of having my OWN seat for every home game and a guaranteed seat for the old firm games and games against Hearts.

If ticket prices were dropped for Saturday, we would get extra people going and that equals extra money, simple as.

But it's not that simple - Motherwell cut their admission price in half when John Boyle first arrived and the team included players such as John Spencer, Andy Goram and Don Goodman. Their crowds didn't increase and they ended up in administration.

Incidentally, whilst your stance regarding discounts is admirable, I previously worked on an initiative trying to get fans back to ER, phoning up lapsed ST holders from a database and offering them incentivised tickets to come back - occasionally we got someone who was still an ST holder and they were unanimously outraged to find out people who didn't go on a regular basis were being offered cheap tickets.

.Sean.
I know season ticket holders who are not going, so for that reason I can't see why anyone in their right mind would be willing to throw £22 at this Saturday's 'entertainment'.

CropleyWasGod

This high powered business man, who doesn't call any shots on here, has done the following calculations on the back of a fag packet:-

7k paying guests at £22 = £154k.

10k paying guests at £15 = £150k

In other words, dropping the price by one-third would not be worth it even if that attracted an extra 50%.

marinello59
27-04-2011, 10:45 AM

A different opinion that's all. Pick up the teddy bear. :greengrin
How many extra do you think will pay at the gate? Remember you have to get more in to cover the price drop. With crowds so low that suggests that many ST holders, people who have already paid, are not going so it's about more than price isn't it? So not really 'simple as'' is it?

joe_hfc
27-04-2011, 10:46 AM

I don't agree. I think that if it was free entry it would be near a sell-out!!

Stevie Reid
27-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Absolutely no chance.

2 of my our group of 6 ST holders didn't bother their @rses at the weekend and I can't say I blame them.

easty
27-04-2011, 10:48 AM

:rolleyes:

We would get extra people coming if ticket prices were down, I'm sure of that, but would there be enough extra people to make up the shortfall on the lower price of the tickets? How many more people do you think would turn up to pay £15 than would turn up to pay £22?

Yeah we'd get more fans, though I don't think there would be that many more, but it wouldn't mean the club made much (if any) more money.

easty
27-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Not a hope in hell. They could go door to door offering people a free ticket and a free voucher for a pie at half time, it still wouldnt be a near sell out.

CropleyWasGod
27-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Not a hope in hell. They could go door to door offering people a free ticket and a free voucher for a pie at half time, it still wouldnt be a near sell out.

Is there sex involved? :greengrin

magnificent_seven
27-04-2011, 10:56 AM
A different opinion that's all. Pick up the teddy bear. :greengrin
How many extra do you think will pay at the gate? Remember you have to get more in to cover the price drop. With crowds so low that suggests that many ST holders, people who have already paid, are not going so it's about more than price isn't it? So not really 'simple as'' is it?

The teddy is still cuddling in beside me, the pedantic attitude that flies around this board without any point being acknowledged does annoy me though.

Back to the point, I would imagine a drop in price would attract 1000-1500 extra punters to the game. Which by my reckoning would be £15 x 1000 people = £15000. A decent sum of money,no? Even any kind of incentive, like kids go free would be worth doing. Anything to boost the crowds coming in is worth doing.

CropleyWasGod
27-04-2011, 10:58 AM
The teddy is still cuddling in beside me, the pedantic attitude that flies around this board without any point being acknowledged does annoy me though.

Back to the point, I would imagine a drop in price would attract 1000-1500 extra punters to the game. Which by my reckoning would be £15 x 1000 people = £15000. A decent sum of money,no? Even any kind of incentive, like kids go free would be worth doing. Anything to boost the crowds coming in is worth doing.

You're missing the point. Every other punter would be paying less to get in. See my fag-packet calculations above.

Hibby D
27-04-2011, 11:00 AM
This high powered business man, who doesn't call any shots on here, has done the following calculations on the back of a fag packet:-

In other words, dropping the price by one-third would not be worth it even if that attracted an extra 50%.

Which won't happen in a million years :agree:

Yes but not for high powered business men unfortunately so yer tea's oot! :na na:

magnificent_seven
27-04-2011, 11:01 AM
You're missing the point. Every other punter would be paying less to get in. See my fag-packet calculations above.

Ok, I get your point. £4k is still £4k though, no?

And it's still 3,000 extra fans supporting the team.

This probably would not happen, but I wouldn't say that it's not worth it.

CropleyWasGod
27-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Um.. that's 4k less :wink:

(note to self. Don't employ Mag7 in your financial department)

easty
27-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Yeah, but it's £4k in favour of not reducing the prices. :rolleyes:

CropleyWasGod
27-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Which won't happen in a million years :agree:

Yes but not for high powered business men unfortunately so yer tea's oot! :na na:

If I said I was pretty low-powered, would I get my leg over?

easty
27-04-2011, 11:05 AM

With his grasp of finances it won't be long till Vlad is on the phone asking him to see what he can do with thier balance sheet....:wink:

CropleyWasGod
27-04-2011, 11:05 AM

I, on the other hand, would say it's definitely not worth it.:greengrin

easty
27-04-2011, 11:06 AM

L'Oreal missed a trick in not going with that as thier slogan...:greengrin

magnificent_seven
27-04-2011, 11:07 AM

:tee hee: ok, ok, I didn't read the numbers properly.

I just think it is going to be a damn shame that the stadium is going to be a third full on Saturday and I personally feel that the £22 entry fee is contributing a lot to this.

Part/Time Supporter
27-04-2011, 11:10 AM
:tee hee: ok, ok, I didn't read the numbers properly.

I just think it is going to be a damn shame that the stadium is going to be a third full on Saturday and I personally feel that the £22 entry fee is contributing a lot to this.

It isn't.

Being 8th in the league and having nothing to play for is.

Baldy Foghorn
27-04-2011, 11:16 AM

How can it be a "sell out" if the entry is free?:confused:

magnificent_seven
27-04-2011, 11:16 AM
It isn't.

Being 8th in the league and having nothing to play for is.

Yes that does too. But taking out all of the financial implications of lowering ticket prices and the reasons we can't do this, more people would go if the tickets were £16. The £22 is putting me off going, and i'm sure im not alone in this.

Kojock
27-04-2011, 11:17 AM
If my calculations are spot on, if an adult paid at the gate for every home game this season, it would cost them £443, as opposed to the £405 that it cost to buy a season ticket this season.

And thats the point, walk up fans can pick and choose their games and if they miss any games for whatever reason they are not out of pocket. Im a season ticket holder and missed a home game in January but even although I was not there Hibs still got my money.

So dont support the club upfront by buying a season, pick and choose your games and your reward is you get in cheap at the end of the season. :rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
27-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Here we go agsain.

spot on Mr Marinello :top marks

Hibeesb0unc3
27-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Here we go agsain.

very well said :top marks

scoopyboy
27-04-2011, 11:25 AM
And thats the point, walk up fans can pick and choose their games and if they miss any games for whatever reason they are not out of pocket. Im a season ticket holder and missed a home game in January but even although I was not there Hibs still got my money.

So dont support the club upfront by buying a season, pick and choose your games and your reward is you get in cheap at the end of the season. :rolleyes:

Spot on.

Next year when we renew our season tickets the club should tattoo our foreheads with a "season ticket holder" branding iron.

Then when people attend for reduced admission games or freebies they can p themselves at the easily identifiable simpletons who paid season ticket prices.

Hibby D
27-04-2011, 11:28 AM
All these calculations are confusing me now.

Wouldn't you need to know how many walk-up fans v ST holders their are in this hypothetical 7 or 10k crowd to be able to ascertain the extra (or not) income an incentive will generate?

ST holders have already paid up so that's money in the bank. Would more walk-ups come along if it was cheaper? Probably, but I would suspect nowhere near enough to make up for the "lost income" from the walk-ups who are planning to come along and pay £22.

Is this what's called brain-storming??? :dizzy:

I'm away for a lie down :faint:

Kojock
27-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Spot on.

Next year when we renew our season tickets the club should tattoo our foreheads with a "season ticket holder" branding iron.

Then when people attend for reduced admission games or freebies they can p themselves at the easily identifiable simpletons who paid season ticket prices.

Or three year seasons. :clapper:

scoopyboy
27-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Or three year seasons. :clapper:

You would get the choice of an extra large tattoo or the standard one plus two smaller ones for another part of your body that can be done in the colour of the away strips for the extra 2 years.

Franck Stanton
27-04-2011, 11:34 AM

:agree:

Jack
27-04-2011, 11:47 AM
If you include all the other expense in the matchday bundle, travel and food for example, a £2/£7 reduction per ticket isn't very much and IMO is unlikely to be the difference as to whether someone goes or not.

down the slope
27-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Here we go agsain.

Have a team worth watching !, and who's fault is it that we are as bad as we are at the moment ?, for the past five or six years the fans have invested heavily by buying their ST's but we are back where we started as regards the playing side of things. People are no daft and it speaks volumes when ST holders canny be arsed to turn up for a game.

Fife-Hibee
27-04-2011, 11:51 AM
For Saturdays game against St. Johnstone. Two teams that, lets be honest, have nothing to play for. Why on earth are Hibs charging £22 to watch that. The crowd is going to be dreadful. Surely bringing it down to £15/£16 would make a lot more sense, no?

Does that mean when we are having a really good season and games are selling out' we can shove £6 on the price of a walk up ticket :whistle:

LancashireHibby
27-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Does that mean when we are having a really good season and games are selling out' we can shove £6 on the price of a walk up ticket :whistle:

Could already happen, in theory. If we had to win late home games to qualify for Europe or something along those lines then I've no doubt that they would become Category A-priced games, regardless of opposition.

Onceinawhile
27-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Could already happen, in theory. If we had to win late home games to qualify for Europe or something along those lines then I've no doubt that they would become Category A-priced games, regardless of opposition.

What about when we played Aberdeen under those circumstances when mowbray was manager and that didn't happen?

Dropping the ticket prices will lose hibs money. How close to a sell out was the ict game with free tickets? Not very.

Andy74
27-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Rubbish. As said above only a sucessful team or even one that is good to watch influences crowds.

About 2,000 people who had already paid didn't turn up last week.

LancashireHibby
27-04-2011, 02:20 PM
What about when we played Aberdeen under those circumstances when mowbray was manager and that didn't happen?

Dropping the ticket prices will lose hibs money. How close to a sell out was the ict game with free tickets? Not very.

Petrie will have learned from that, I'm sure. If we're getting big crowds on a consistent basis then I'm sure he test everyone's arm and make more games Category A to see how far he can push it.

Having said that, I'm firmly in the camp of retaining the current price or all that will happen is we'll pish off season ticket holders and lose a raft of money in the long run. Even reducing prices for one game would only be valuable as a PR exercise and would lose a fortune. As a sidenote that, for about the fifth season in a row, the Blackburn-Bolton game on Saturday is £10 for adults and £5 for juniors. Rovers will lose a fortune but they will have a guaranteed sell-out and a big support for a big game, and they already offer cheap season tickets that are on the premise of there being occasional offers such as Saturday.

easty
27-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Petrie will have learned from that, I'm sure. If we're getting big crowds on a consistent basis then I'm sure he test everyone's arm and make more games Category A to see how far he can push it.

Having said that, I'm firmly in the camp of retaining the current price or all that will happen is we'll pish off season ticket holders and lose a raft of money in the long run. Even reducing prices for one game would only be valuable as a PR exercise and would lose a fortune. As a sidenote that, for about the fifth season in a row, the Blackburn-Bolton game on Saturday is £10 for adults and £5 for juniors. Rovers will lose a fortune but they will have a guaranteed sell-out and a big support for a big game, and they already offer cheap season tickets that are on the premise of there being occasional offers such as Saturday.

If we're getting large big crowds on a consistent basis? Will that be after we win the Scottish cup next season?:wink:

Lucius Apuleius
27-04-2011, 02:27 PM
I am with M59 on this, and I am not a high powered businessman (in fact I don't thing I am even a low powered one come to think of it). Simple math as explained earlier would make lowering the cost of entry in my opinion, worthless. £6 of a difference??? have two less pints before you go ( always assuming pints are part of the prematch ritual)

lucky
27-04-2011, 02:39 PM
I have 405 (cost of ST) reasons why the game should not be reduced in price. Namely ST holders should not be getting penalised for supporting the club up front. Yes times are tough economically and the footballs dire but football is meant to be in the entertainment business so why should they reduce or give away free tickets constantly?

iwasthere1972
27-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I have 405 (cost of ST) reasons why the game should not be reduced in price. Namely ST holders should not be getting penalised for supporting the club up front. Yes times are tough economically and the footballs dire but football is meant to be in the entertainment business so why should they reduce or give away free tickets constantly?

I couldn't agree more. With the increased capacity and our dwindling crowds it's not that difficult to turn up on matchday (be it one person or a group of 4 for example) and pay at the gate and still find seats together. The days of having to be a season ticket holder to secure your seat(s) for any game at Easter Road are well and truly in the past. If Hibs start throwing free tickets away to all and sundry for various matches throughout the season it would drastically affect season ticket sales.

Danderhall Hibs
27-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Here we go agsain.

The common thing in your post appeasrs to be that ticket prices are too high no matter the position in the league?

Non-season ticket holders have already had the opportunity to get into a match free of charge this season (Inverness CT) so that brings the cost of paying at the gate this season down to £421. If Hibs were to reduce the cost of an adult ticket for Saturday's game by around £7, that would mean that it would have cost £414 to pay at the gate for every game this season.

Presumably you also think that Hibs should do this again for our final home game of the season against Aberdeen, since that too is a meaningless game for both sides. If Hibs reduced adult prices, for a second time, by around £7 then the cost of paying at the gate this season would be £407 - a mere £2 more expensive than it would have cost to buy a season ticket.

If Hibs were to do this, season ticket sales for next season would be almost non-existent.

Why? They're still £2 "up". Why do so many seem concerned about what someone else is "getting"?

All these calculations are confusing me now.

Wouldn't you need to know how many walk-up fans v ST holders their are in this hypothetical 7 or 10k crowd to be able to ascertain the extra (or not) income an incentive will generate?

ST holders have already paid up so that's money in the bank. Would more walk-ups come along if it was cheaper? Probably, but I would suspect nowhere near enough to make up for the "lost income" from the walk-ups who are planning to come along and pay £22.

Is this what's called brain-storming??? :dizzy:

I'm away for a lie down :faint:

I think you're right. The fag packet calculations are exactly that - you'd need to know how many would have attended if it was £22 and how many actaully attended at £15 to see how much difference it made. Other than that it's just a guess usually from a ST holder trying to make sure they're not getting done.

Hibs_SW
27-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Here we go agsain.

Exactly I agree with the above post sick of the moans support the club and pay the price or don't go! I know people arent happy this season a d it's not been an exciting one but dropping prices everytime the fans decide there is "nothing" to play for isn't going to ever make a profit is it! Truthfully finishing 7th is better than 9th or 10th so there is always something to play for i.e like tbe fans who are paying to watch! so if all the fans got behind the team and bought tickets to go the crowd wouldn't be getting smaller! There has been some fantastic deals from the club this season but never seems to be enough for some people! And like others have said what about the season ticket holders do they get refunded if the prices get put down no cause we have paid to watch the team so don't expect to!!

Hermit Crab
27-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Just forget about the prices!.1, Either go and pay in to the game. Or 2, if your not happy with the admission fee then dont go if you dont want too. Simples. :rolleyes:

Or hang around the back of the West stand or at the ticket office to try and scrounge comps!

jdships
27-04-2011, 03:37 PM

:top marks
I am not a ST holder but agree totally with your take on this .
You "shelled out" your hard earned cash up front
I can look at the weather and say " too cold/wet " and not bother going - no loss to me .
If you choose to do that you are , in theory ,wasting/throwing away money !!

Re highlighted quote
I have written, to the club, four times over the past three seasons on that very subject .
The replies have been polite thanking me for my comments - end of !
If recording artists don't produce saleable material no one buys their records etc etc

Things need to improve ON THE PARK quickly or we are going to be faced with 5/6000 crowds on a regular basis

:flag:

joe_hfc
27-04-2011, 03:51 PM
How can it be a "sell out" if the entry is free?:confused:

Because they sell all their tickets for £0 obviously....

Anyway I reckon there will be thousands iof people who would go to the game if it was free. They may be taking their kids to a game for the first time. They may have little interest in football and just want to see what a game is like without having the risk of wasting money. They may be general sports/ other football fans who want to see a free game. Or they may be Hibs fans who are too skint to go to games any more.

I guess we won't know until it happens!

Baldy Foghorn
27-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Because they sell all their tickets for £0 obviously....
Anyway I reckon there will be thousands iof people who would go to the game if it was free. They may be taking their kids to a game for the first time. They may have little interest in football and just want to see what a game is like without having the risk of wasting money. They may be general sports/ other football fans who want to see a free game. Or they may be Hibs fans who are too skint to go to games any more.

I guess we won't know until it happens!

Joe how can you sell something for 0? Its not selling it is giving away

iwasthere1972
27-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Maybe everybody who applies for a "concessions" season ticket should be "means tested". I would be very surprised if there are not loads of auld codgers and students etc out there who have the finances to pay the full price for a season ticket.

You know it makes sense. :aok:

Gus Fring
27-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Maybe everybody who applies for a "concessions" season ticket should be "means tested". I would be very surprised if there are not loads of auld codgers and students etc out there who have the finances to pay the full price for a season ticket.

You know it makes sense. :aok:

All that will do is result in a reduction of concession season ticket holders. People won't think

"ah i'm not entitled to the cheaper ticket I'm going to have to buy a full price one"

what they'll actually think is

"i'm not entitled to a cheaper ticket anymore so I'm not going to bother going"

Also the club do actually check these things. I've looked into getting a disbaled/carer ticket for me and my boy next season and I'll need to provide paperwork etc to get it.

snooky
27-04-2011, 05:15 PM

Alas, the further you drift away from football, more & more games become meaningless - till eventually the whole sport is.

That's the stage I am at with golf these days - it's a stupid game. :tin hat:

Removed
27-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Also the club do actually check these things. I've looked into getting a disbaled/carer ticket for me and my boy next season and I'll need to provide paperwork etc to get it.

And do you have what is required or was it just a random enquiry?

Gus Fring
27-04-2011, 05:34 PM
And do you have what is required?

Yes, not that its relevant to the discussion

Removed
27-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Yes, not that its relevant to the discussion

So why did you bring it up then :wink:

iwasthere1972
27-04-2011, 05:39 PM
And do you have what is required or was it just a random enquiry?

:faf:

Gus Fring
27-04-2011, 05:42 PM
So why did you bring it up then :wink:

I brought up that the club checks the info based on my own personal experience. Whether I have the required paperwork is irrelevant as it doesn't change the fact the club checks

magpie1892
27-04-2011, 06:25 PM
But it's not that simple - Motherwell cut their admission price in half when John Boyle first arrived and the team included players such as John Spencer, Andy Goram and Don Goodman. Their crowds didn't increase and they ended up in administration.

What have Motherwell got to do with Hibs? This argument is fallacious in the extreme - it's like comparing the latent supports of Middlesbrough and Newcastle.

Conflating Hibs with Motherwell is a rubbish example that keeps getting trotted out time and again.

ancient hibee
27-04-2011, 06:26 PM
i keep getting e-mails from Hibs and for the Accies and St Midden games i was sitting waiting to see if the e-mail was gonna say a discounted price, but, no. Full price for meaningless games in hard times. What are Hibs playing at? Makes no sense at all. No wonder gates are awful.
So if there is a move to a bigger league with less home matches than now but more of them meaningless Hibs should charge less.Mind you that might bring about a smaller league as some clubs go to the wall.

down the slope
27-04-2011, 06:29 PM
So if there is a move to a bigger league with less home matches than now but more of them meaningless Hibs should charge less.Mind you that might bring about a smaller league as some clubs go to the wall.

Only meaningless if we are not challenging for Europe or even higher ! , home games against teams you only see once a season so less boredom.

ancient hibee
27-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Only meaningless if we are not challenging for Europe or even higher ! , home games against teams you only see once a season so less boredom.
Seeing Raith Rovers instead of Rangers isn't my idea of improvement.

down the slope
27-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Seeing Raith Rovers instead of Rangers isn't my idea of improvement.

Seeing anything instead of rangers is an improvement , i go to watch Hibs not the opposition and i suspect that most people on here buy their tickets without the thought of drooling over a visiting rangers team.

Removed
27-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Seeing anything instead of rangers is an improvement , i go to watch Hibs not the opposition and i suspect that most people on here buy their tickets without the thought of drooling over a visiting rangers team.

The only time I have ever gone to a Hibs game to drool over the opposition is the Barca game.

Lofarl
27-04-2011, 07:33 PM

So a free ticket, pie and a voucher for Scorpios would ensure a sell out.

NOLA
27-04-2011, 10:10 PM
So a free ticket, pie and a voucher for Scorpios would ensure a sell out.

do scorpios offer discounts to students?

AndersonGGTTH
28-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Well i personally think it will be our first sell out this season :greengrin

joe_hfc
28-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Joe how can you sell something for 0? Its not selling it is giving away

If your going to be pedantic about it, it can be either or in this case.

Since you don't understand how to sell something for £0 here's an example:

If you were selling your house through an agency and they charged you 0% commission, would they be 'giving your house away', or selling it for free? That's how you sell something for free.

:na na::greengrin

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Would they then refund all the season ticket holders who attend the £6 or £7.

Season tickets are too high anyway but a bit of a selfish argument. You'd be happy with ONLY season ticket holders so you could have your 'value' even though you paid your money about a year ago?

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Rubbish.

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 10:01 AM

Incidentally, whilst your stance regarding discounts is admirable, I previously worked on an initiative trying to get fans back to ER, phoning up lapsed ST holders from a database and offering them incentivised tickets to come back - occasionally we got someone who was still an ST holder and they were unanimously outraged to find out people who didn't go on a regular basis were being offered cheap tickets.

Oh please, the Motherwell argument AGAIN :rolleyes:

Are there any other examples where it hasn't increased crowds because this Motherwell one is the only one I EVER hear? Motherwell are pish, have no fans as it is, and will always be the same. Hibs have a bigger fanbase, there is no doubt about it.

Kojock
28-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Season tickets are too high anyway but a bit of a selfish argument. You'd be happy with ONLY season ticket holders so you could have your 'value' even though you paid your money about a year ago?

How is it a selfish argument :confused: I gave Hibs my money upfront, so they are guaranteed my money whether I go to the game or not. You cant have it both ways, complaining about the lack of quality in the team but do not want to pay full price thus depriving Hibs of money.

Sir David Gray
28-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Rubbish.

Care to expand? :confused:

If Hibs were to effectively cancel out any financial incentive for people to buy a season ticket this year, why would fans bother with a season ticket next year, when they know that if we have a poor season again next year (not outwith the realms of possibility) then towards the end of next season when, once again, we have nothing to play for, Hibs are likely to reduce the prices for walk-ups? Thereby ensuring that the price difference between buying a season ticket and paying at the gate each week is negligible.

One of the main selling points for a season ticket is that it works out considerably cheaper to pay for a season ticket than it does to pay at the gate each week.

Bearing in mind that season ticket sales are likely to be pitiful for next season anyway after the shocking season that we have just endured, Hibs need to keep every incentive open to them for people to buy a season ticket again.

Stevie Reid
28-04-2011, 10:15 AM
What have Motherwell got to do with Hibs? This argument is fallacious in the extreme - it's like comparing the latent supports of Middlesbrough and Newcastle.

Conflating Hibs with Motherwell is a rubbish example that keeps getting trotted out time and again.

It's not a rubbish example at all, and it's certainly not fallacious. We've had similar discussions on here before where you used a Newcastle cup replay as an example to back up your argument - surely that's even more fallacious than mine.

Stevie Reid
28-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Oh please, the Motherwell argument AGAIN :rolleyes:

Are there any other examples where it hasn't increased crowds because this Motherwell one is the only one I EVER hear? Motherwell are pish, have no fans as it is, and will always be the same. Hibs have a bigger fanbase, there is no doubt about it.

Ignoring the fact that Motherwell are miles better than us at the moment, they were far from pish when John Boyle tried the initiative - they had just finished 4th in the SPL that had all the Sky money and as I mentioned before, had a team that included Goram, Goodman, Brannan and Spencer, and played excellent football under Billy Davies.

They couldn't attract a bigger home support with a huge reduction under those circumstances, and as such, I would predict that our chances of getting more supporters through the door (enough to make it worthwhile) for an utterly meaningless game against a St. Johnstone team that is about to break the SPL record for lowest number of goals scored in a season, are extremely low - regardless of the fact that our latent support is far bigger than theirs.

You and others can site the Motherwell example as bad/tiresome etc. all you want - many on here mention it because it is relevant, and if it's quoted by so many on here you can be damn sure the Hibs commercial team are aware of it too.

And, as I also mentioned previously, I have first hand experience of how much such incentives alienate ST holders, which is a dangerous road to go down. All things considered I believe it is an exercise not worth carrying out and the club clearly think so too.

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Care to expand? :confused:

If Hibs were to effectively cancel out any financial incentive for people to buy a season ticket this year, why would fans bother with a season ticket next year, when they know that if we have a poor season again next year (not outwith the realms of possibility) then towards the end of next season when, once again, we have nothing to play for, Hibs are likely to reduce the prices for walk-ups? Thereby ensuring that the price difference between buying a season ticket and paying at the gate each week is negligible.

One of the main selling points for a season ticket is that it works out considerably cheaper to pay for a season ticket than it does to pay at the gate each week.

Bearing in mind that season ticket sales are likely to be pitiful for next season anyway after the shocking season that we have just endured, Hibs need to keep every incentive open to them for people to buy a season ticket again.

A season ticket is about more than saving a few quid. As has been proven with decent sales this season there are a hardcore of fans who will buy season tickets no matter what the dross is like on the park, so I doubt these people would stop if they were only 'saving' a tenner.

People like to get a season ticket to get the payment out of the way. Once you've paid, you've paid, and I don't get why people would be so up in arms at some discounts for walk up now and again.

I've had plenty of season tickets by the way.

The plain fact is that 22 quid to watch a meaningless match that would probably be pish even if it did mean something, is farcical.

Barney McGrew
28-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Hibs reduced prices for the Irvine Meadow cup game last season to £15 and £7 for kids. Irvine Meadow brought over 2000 to the game, and the crowd was only 10197.

There's a direct example and it made no difference to the crowd.

Kojock
28-04-2011, 10:38 AM
The plain fact is that 22 quid to watch a meaningless match that would probably be pish even if it did mean something, is farcical.

Maybe if people paid full price we would have more money to invest in the team thus improving the product on the pitch. Then hopefully we wouldnt have a pish, end of season meaningless match.

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Ignoring the fact that Motherwell are miles better than us at the moment, they were far from pish when John Boyle tried the initiative - they had just finished 4th in the SPL that had all the Sky money and as I mentioned before, had a team that included Goram, Goodman, Brannan and Spencer, and played excellent football under Billy Davies.

They couldn't attract a bigger home support with a huge reduction under those circumstances, and as such, I would predict that our chances of getting more supporters through the door (enough to make it worthwhile) for an utterly meaningless game against a St. Johnstone team that is about to break the SPL record for lowest number of goals scored in a season, are extremely low - regardless of the fact that our latent support is far bigger than theirs.

You and others can site the Motherwell example as bad/tiresome etc. all you want - many on here mention it because it is relevant, and if it's quoted by so many on here you can be damn sure the Hibs commercial team are aware of it too.

And, as I also mentioned previously, I have first hand experience of how much such incentives alienate ST holders, which is a dangerous road to go down. All things considered I believe it is an exercise not worth carrying out and the club clearly think so too.

Where were Motherwell going to get this extra support from? Out of thin air? The bigger support wasn't there to attract in the first place. This is why I am saying Hibs are different. There ARE fans out there who are not going for a number of reasons, of which price is one of those.

You may not want Hibs to alienate ST holders but they might well be alienating more and more potential walk up fans in the meantime by seemingly making no effort whatsoever to try and get people in the door either on the pitch or off it.

Pretty Boy
28-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Is lowering the price really going to have any impact on the attendance?

A meaningless game is a meningless game and i can't see many folk who aren't going to attend suddenly change their mind because it's £6 or £7 cheaper.

Still why miss any opportunity to have a pop at the club eh?

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Maybe if people paid full price we would have more money to invest in the team thus improving the product on the pitch. Then hopefully we wouldnt have a pish, end of season meaningless match.

Well why don't you pay full price every week instead of saving a bit of cash by getting a season ticket? :wink:

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Hibs reduced prices for the Irvine Meadow cup game last season to £15 and £7 for kids. Irvine Meadow brought over 2000 to the game, and the crowd was only 10197.

I'd argue that 15 quid to watch Hibs paying a pub team was probably pushing it to be honest so it's no wonder.

Additionally, since season tickets were not valid for the game, it's not a fair comparison.

Kojock
28-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Well why don't you pay full price every week instead of saving a bit of cash by getting a season ticket? :wink:

I do, I pay the full price that Hibs ask for and FYI I invested in a three year ticket. :na na:

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 10:44 AM
How is it a selfish argument :confused: I gave Hibs my money upfront, so they are guaranteed my money whether I go to the game or not. You cant have it both ways, complaining about the lack of quality in the team but do not want to pay full price thus depriving Hibs of money.

Hibs can't have it both ways either though - charging top dollar whilst producing performances bereft of quality, effort, desire etc.

Keith_M
28-04-2011, 10:44 AM

That's a poor argument. You're, presumably, comparing the attendance to a league game, where STs are valid. Hibs home tie in the SC this year had a crowd of 6,000, so last years' was actualy 4,000 more.

The truth is, it's actually hard to say whether or not the attendance at a particular game is affected by the price, unless you are comparing like-for-like. I'm firmly of the opinion that Scottish Games aren't actually worth £22, but that's another argument.

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I do, I pay the full price that Hibs ask for and FYI I invested in a three year ticket. :na na:

You'll be depriving Hibs of at least 100 quid over that 3 years!! I suggest you get your chequebook oot now :greengrin

Stevie Reid
28-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Where were Motherwell going to get this extra support from? Out of thin air? The bigger support wasn't there to attract in the first place. This is why I am saying Hibs are different. There ARE fans out there who are not going for a number of reasons, of which price is one of those.

You may not want Hibs to alienate ST holders but they might well be alienating more and more potential walk up fans in the meantime by seemingly making no effort whatsoever to try and get people in the door either on the pitch or off it.

They are getting 16,000 tickets for the Cup final and many on here are arguing that they should get more - is that not where they would get a bigger support from?

Out of the two options, alienating season ticket holders is FAR more dangerous than further alienating people who don't bother going to games in the first place.

Barney McGrew
28-04-2011, 10:46 AM
I'd argue that 15 quid to watch Hibs paying a pub team was probably pushing it to be honest so it's no wonder.

Additionally, since season tickets were not valid for the game, it's not a fair comparison.

How is it not a fair comparison? Everyone that's against a ten team league keeps bleating about it getting boring playing the same team, and apparently it's not the opposition but the price that's keeping people away from Hibs games - so a different team and lower prices should have had them flocking in, no? :wink:

Keith_M
28-04-2011, 10:49 AM
How is it not a fair comparison? Everyone that's against a ten team league keeps bleating about it getting boring playing the same team, and apparently it's not the opposition but the price that's keeping people away from Hibs games.

In a league game, 9,000 or so people have already paid to get in (ST holders), so it doesn't cost them any more money. The STs aren't valid for the SC ties, so people would have to shell out more money, which not everybody wanted to do, especially in light of the oposition.

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 10:51 AM
They are getting 16,000 tickets for the Cup final and many on here are arguing that they should get more - is that not where they would get a bigger support from?

Out of the two options, alienating season ticket holders is FAR more dangerous than further alienating people who don't bother going to games in the first place.

I think we both know that cup finals are a different matter - we've taken 35,000 to our last two and it probably could've been more. Bit more than 16,000 is it not? have they even sold that out?

Barney McGrew
28-04-2011, 10:53 AM
In a league game, 9,000 or so people have already paid to get in (ST holders), so it doesn't cost them any more money. The STs aren't valid for the SC ties, so people would have to shell out more money, which not everybody wanted to do, especially in light of the oposition.

Which puts the whole thing back to the point where people are choosing to go games based on who we are playing, not necessarily on how much it costs to get in. At the point we played that game, the team was flying, so even with a team playing really well and cheaper prices we still had a relatively low attendance.

Price really doesn't make that much difference IMHO.

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 10:54 AM
How is it not a fair comparison? Everyone that's against a ten team league keeps bleating about it getting boring playing the same team, and apparently it's not the opposition but the price that's keeping people away from Hibs games - so a different team and lower prices should have had them flocking in, no? :wink:

Er, because of the reasons already stated by keekaboo. Season ticket holders would also have paid to get into that game. Usually we get what, 3000 walk up fans, but against Irvine Meadow it would appear we got about 8000 walk ups?

Answer me this - would 8000 Hibs fans have turned up if Hibs had decided to charge 22 quid?

A different team in the same league is one thing, a Junior team in the cup is quite another as you well know.

Barney McGrew
28-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Er, because of the reasons already stated by keekaboo. Season ticket holders would also have paid to get into that game. Usually we get what, 3000 walk up fans, but against Irvine Meadow it would appear we got about 8000 walk ups?

Answer me this - would 8000 Hibs fans have turned up if Hibs had decided to charge 22 quid?

A different team in the same league is one thing, a Junior team in the cup is quite another as you well know.

It wouldn't have all been walk ups, we'll have a large chunk of our season ticket holders also having the cup top up on their cards.

As to whether we'd have had all those walk ups if we'd charged £22 - who knows? You don't and neither do I. I thought the whole argument on this was the price and not the opposition, so if that's really the case it shouldn't really matter who we are paying if that is the reason that people aren't turning up :confused:

The reason people aren't going to games just now is hee haw to do with the price, it's a combination of the fact that we're playing meaningless games and frankly we're just not very good just now.

Steve-O
28-04-2011, 11:03 AM
It wouldn't have all been walk ups, we'll have a large chunk of our season ticket holders also having the cup top up on their cards.

As to whether we'd have had all those walk ups if we'd charged £22 - who knows? You don't and neither do I.

I thought the whole argument on this was the price and not the opposition, so if that's really the case it shouldn't really matter who we are paying if that is the reason that people aren't turning up :confused:

I'm saying it's a bit of both FFS, it's not all black and white. If you read back I've NEVER said it's ONLY the price so don't twist my words.

If you think the same amount of people would've turned up for that game priced at 22 quid then I'd suggest you are wrong.

How big is this 'large chunk' buying cup top ups? I seem to recall a lot of people saying it was a bit pricey nowadays so I'd have my doubts about just how large this chunk was.

Hibs obviously thinks it matters who we are playing since they charge even more than 22 for some matches...

Stevie Reid
28-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I think we both know that cup finals are a different matter - we've taken 35,000 to our last two and it probably could've been more. Bit more than 16,000 is it not? have they even sold that out?

You suggested that Motherwell had no extra support to draw upon, and I said that the extra support is going to come from the 16-22,000 who buy cup final tickets - same as Hibs extra support would come from the 38,000 who went to the Livi cup final.

I don't know if it's sold out yet but I think they will almost sell 16,000, if not the whole lot.

Barney McGrew
28-04-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm saying it's a bit of both FFS, it's not all black and white. If you read back I've NEVER said it's ONLY the price so don't twist my words.

If you think the same amount of people would've turned up for that game priced at 22 quid then I'd suggest you are wrong.

How big is this 'large chunk' buying cup top ups? I seem to recall a lot of people saying it was a bit pricey nowadays so I'd have my doubts about just how large this chunk was.

Hibs obviously thinks it matters who we are playing since they charge even more than 22 for some matches...

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, so apologies if it came across like that - likewise, don't try to do it with me since I never said the same number of people would have turned up at £22 :wink:

The top ups were £50/£25 IIRC last year - I'm not sure what the overall numbers are, but all of the guys I go with have it and I'd probably guess somewhere in the region of a third to a half of season ticket holders have it :dunno:

The whole premise of a pricing structure is for the club to get the most money they can from a fixture and that's why I think it's far too simplistic to say if we reduce prices people will turn up - it might add a small amount to the gate (and I and others are still not convinced it would be substantial numbers) but that bigger crowd would perhaps mean less income, so where's the logic in doing it? At the same time, they can't hack off the guys who are paying in advance via season tickets to the point where they think "Sod it, I'm just going to pay at the gate" because they'll have no income up front and won't be able to financially plan ahead for the year.

It's a very fine balancing act.

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2011, 01:24 PM
People moaning about paying £22 get a grip!

I'm a super uber uber uber fan................I must be because I will be attending on Saturday having already paid for my season ticket, and..........................today I paid the second instalment for NEXT seasons ticket. That's why I'm super uber :greengrin :na na:

Dashing Bob S
28-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm of the view that we get our football too cheaply. I'd like to see Hibs increase their prices to around £50 for the cheapest seat and make the whole enterprise a much more elitist concern. We shouldn't be frightened of that word.

That way I'd have to rub shoulders with fewer undesirables, who would hopefully head to other stadiums, thus allowing the aesthetes in our midst's to enjoy the contests without having our eyes blighted by the badly-dressed and our ears burnt by the foul-mouthed.

Twenty-two pounds for football? I've slipped the Big Issue seller outside the Royal Scot Club more than that for keeping a beady on the Merc. Why don't we go all the way and serve Buckfast and macaroon bars in the catering outlets, since we seem so determined to act like we're Motherwell FC?

dangermouse
28-04-2011, 01:38 PM
People moaning about paying £22 get a grip!

I'm a super uber uber uber fan................I must be because I will be attending on Saturday having already paid for my season ticket, and..........................today I paid the first instalment for NEXT seasons ticket. That's why I'm super uber :greengrin :na na:

I must be super uber uber uber as well :greengrin

Stevie Reid
28-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Twenty-two pounds for football? I've slipped the Big Issue seller outside the Royal Scot Club more than that for keeping a beady on the Merc. Why don't we go all the way and serve Buckfast and macaroon bars in the catering outlets, since we seem so determined to act like we're Motherwell FC?

:thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
28-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I must be super uber uber uber as well :greengrin

I must be even more so as I paid the second installment of next season's ticket today :wink:

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I must be even more so as I paid the second installment of next season's ticket today :wink:

Well spotted I've edited my original post ! :greengrin

Stevie Reid
28-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Well spotted I've edited my original post ! :greengrin

Welcome back to the uber club :greengrin

Hibby D
28-04-2011, 03:22 PM

But you don't know that really - because you don't know how many of those 10197 wouldn't have come along had the prices not been reduced. Chances are it did make a difference to the crowd but in reality we will never really know :dunno:

3pm
28-04-2011, 06:20 PM
If anyone is worried about cost, get on to Wonga.com. They are trustworthy and deal with seasoned professionals.

Baldy Foghorn
28-04-2011, 06:46 PM
If anyone is worried about cost, get on to Wonga.com. They are trustworthy and deal with seasoned professionals.

:greengrin

Steve-O
30-04-2011, 01:58 AM
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, so apologies if it came across like that - likewise, don't try to do it with me since I never said the same number of people would have turned up at £22 :wink:

The top ups were £50/£25 IIRC last year - I'm not sure what the overall numbers are, but all of the guys I go with have it and I'd probably guess somewhere in the region of a third to a half of season ticket holders have it :dunno:

The whole premise of a pricing structure is for the club to get the most money they can from a fixture and that's why I think it's far too simplistic to say if we reduce prices people will turn up - it might add a small amount to the gate (and I and others are still not convinced it would be substantial numbers) but that bigger crowd would perhaps mean less income, so where's the logic in doing it? At the same time, they can't hack off the guys who are paying in advance via season tickets to the point where they think "Sod it, I'm just going to pay at the gate" because they'll have no income up front and won't be able to financially plan ahead for the year.

It's a very fine balancing act.

Sometimes it might be nice if Hibs made some kind of gesture like reducing prices though instead of the constant looking at the bottom line. It's thinking like that that will drive people away.

Ideally, prices would be cheaper across the Board because the SPL overall is no way worth more than 20 quid a game at the minute.

Antifa Hibs
30-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Sometimes it might be nice if Hibs made some kind of gesture like reducing prices though instead of the constant looking at the bottom line. It's thinking like that that will drive people away.

Ideally, prices would be cheaper across the Board because the SPL overall is no way worth more than 20 quid a game at the minute.

And thats the problem, yet people can't see this. Anything from £20 to £28 for a game of fitba of a complete and utter ****** standard is a farce. Forget all the nonsense about we need the money for a better standard blah blah blah, the standard isn't going to get any better without Murdoch's billions getting ploughed into us. Fans are getting bored all over and are leaving in their droves, surely the boards will take note...

Problem with Scotland is people constantly try and compare us with England, dafties comparing the travelling supports of West Ham to Inverness, comparing crowds and income, standard of play etc, in reality we are alot closer to the Irish league than we are to the EPL.

Thanks **** for freebies BTW :agree::thumbsup:
£22 for today :faf:

Mikey
30-04-2011, 07:56 AM
And thats the problem, yet people can't see this.

And people can't see that 100 miles down the road, in England, the players would get paid much more than the "reduced cost" Scottish clubs could afford to pay them.

Some folk on here just live in a wee world of their own.

marinello59
30-04-2011, 07:58 AM

You mean like green Day when walk up fans could get a freebie? Or Hibs Kids days where the kids get 4 free games? Or they can bring along a child or adult at reduced rates? Or the free tickets given out to youth groups, the Armed Forces etc? Or the cheap season tickets provided under the Kicks for Kids scheme? Or the reduced family group season tickets?
But apart from that...........what has Hibernian ever done to help make watching football cheaper?

Mikey
30-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Sometimes it might be nice if Hibs made some kind of gesture like reducing prices though instead of the constant looking at the bottom line.

Isn't it about time the fans made a gesture to the club? Like support them financially so that they can invest that money in players? You'd think they were steeling from you.

It's a one way street for some folk. Take, take, take..............

marinello59
30-04-2011, 08:00 AM
And thats the problem, yet people can't see this. Anything from £20 to £28 for a game of fitba of a complete and utter ****** standard is a farce. Forget all the nonsense about we need the money for a better standard blah blah blah, the standard isn't going to get any better without Murdoch's billions getting ploughed into us. Fans are getting bored all over and are leaving in their droves, surely the boards will take note...

Problem with Scotland is people constantly try and compare us with England, dafties comparing the travelling supports of West Ham to Inverness, comparing crowds and income, standard of play etc, in reality we are alot closer to the Irish league than we are to the EPL.

Thanks **** for freebies BTW :agree::thumbsup:
£22 for today :faf:

Isn't it you who moans about the lack of atmosphere at Easter Road whilst encouraging a boycott of season tickets? At least you are consistent in terms of joined up thinking.

matty_f
30-04-2011, 08:06 AM

Were tickets not a tenner for the Bohemians game a few weeks back?

I went that night and the crowd was miles off troubling the 'sold out' signs. Today's game means only slightly more than that game did, so I can't see how reducing prices would have much, if any, impact on attendance.

Dirkster23
30-04-2011, 08:12 AM
You mean like green Day when walk up fans could get a freebie? Or Hibs Kids days where the kids get 4 free games? Or they can bring along a child or adult at reduced rates? Or the free tickets given out to youth groups, the Armed Forces etc? Or the cheap season tickets provided under the Kicks for Kids scheme? Or the reduced family group season tickets?
But apart from that...........what has Hibernian ever done to help make watching football cheaper?

They also run the Family Day promotion where you get an adult and two kids tickets for £22.

marinello59
30-04-2011, 08:19 AM

They also run the Family Day promotion where you get an adult and two kids tickets for £22.

But apart from that what gesture have they made? :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
30-04-2011, 08:27 AM
But apart from that what gesture have they made? :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

sesoim
30-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Here we go agsain.

The fans have already paid well over the odds to watch dross for years. Yet you think the fans should do more? With the crowds we've been getting the last few years, we SHOULD be 4th in the league, so I think the fault lies squarely with the guy(s) that are running the club.

sesoim
30-04-2011, 06:48 PM

So basically, as a low-paid single guy, I have to kidnap a couple of bairns to get a cheaper ticket?

marinello59
30-04-2011, 07:48 PM
So basically, as a low-paid single guy, I have to kidnap a couple of bairns to get a cheaper ticket?

To be fair, given your constant negativity to all things Hibs, if you really have been priced out the club have done you a favour.
But don't kidnap a kid. You can borrow mine, he didn't thank me once today on the way home for taking him to see the game. Ingrate. :greengrin

matty_f
30-04-2011, 07:50 PM
To be fair, given your constant negativity to all things Hibs, if you really have been priced out the club have done you a favour.
But don't kidnap a kid. You can borrow mine, he didn't thank me once today on the way home for taking him to see the game. Ingrate. :greengrin

:top marks:

Hibby D
30-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Beat me to it :greengrin

Although I would consider handing mine over lock stock and proverbial barrel to a decent Hibby :aok:

Steve-O
01-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Isn't it about time the fans made a gesture to the club? Like support them financially so that they can invest that money in players? You'd think they were steeling from you.

It's a one way street for some folk. Take, take, take..............

Surely you are joking? Thousands of fans, including me, have supported Hibs financially for the majority of their lives!!

What have we got for it?

Personally I've got 2 league cup wins, maybe three 3rd place finishes, and into the UEFA Cup 3 times and pumped out almost immediately. This is getting onto 30 years now, and people older than me could trot out even worse stats than that!

Take take take :rolleyes:

matty_f
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Surely you are joking? Thousands of fans, including me, have supported Hibs financially for the majority of their lives!!

What have we got for it?

Personally I've got 2 league cup wins, maybe three 3rd place finishes, and into the UEFA Cup 3 times and pumped out almost immediately. This is getting onto 30 years now, and people older than me could trot out even worse stats than that!

Take take take :rolleyes:

Bear in mind though that the main reason for that is that tens of thousands more Old Firm fans do the same. Our money keeps the club at a level where it can (on a fairly regular basis) punch it's weight. Take that money away, and we'll have seasons like this one more and more often.

Jack
01-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Bear in mind though that the main reason for that is that tens of thousands more Old Firm fans do the same. Our money keeps the club at a level where it can (on a fairly regular basis) punch it's weight. Take that money away, and we'll have seasons like this one more and more often.

Since I've supported Hibs we could reasonably claim to be the 4th best supported club but have an average placing of 6th and no way have we been in cup semis each season.

I think it's fair to say we don't punch our weight.

It's still worth £22 a match though.

Dashing Bob S
01-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Since I've supported Hibs we could reasonably claim to be the 4th best supported club but have an average placing of 6th and no way have we been in cup semis each season.

I think it's fair to say we don't punch our weight.

It's still worth £22 a match though.

Of course it is. The great thing about being a Hibs fan is that you're able to enjoy the company of loads and loads of beautiful women, who are inordinately impressed by the team you support. Looks and charm obviously play their part, but being a Hibs fan definitely gives you a head start with the opposite sex.

IWasThere2016
01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
The only lasting unique selling point is a good football.

Price and reducing ticket prices has a very marginal bearing on things IMO.

If the team is worth paying to see the fans will pay to see them play.

macca70
01-05-2011, 07:27 PM

It's a bit short sighted to solely look at gate receipts, if those extra 3000 spent just £2 each on programmes, pies, club shop, drinks in Behind the Goals, happy hibby ticket etc then that's an additional £6k. I would guess that other than gate money, the average spend per person is probably higher than £2.

CropleyWasGod
01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
It's a bit short sighted to solely look at gate receipts, if those extra 3000 spent just £2 each on programmes, pies, club shop, drinks in Behind the Goals, happy hibby ticket.

So that makes £156k vs £154k.

Not significant enough, IMO, to take the risk.

IberianHibernian
01-05-2011, 09:51 PM
A few points :
1. In other countries solution to annoying STHs by reducing prices is to offer STHs free or reduced tickets for friends or relatives or other incentives ( shop discount for example ) .
2. Big advantage of having ST is/was priority for semis and finals . Sadly it`s not been worth much for last few seasons .
3. Another advantage is not having to wait to buy tickets - I waited 20 minutes to buy a ticket at the recent Hamilton match which seems ridiculous for such a small crowd .
4.Going to football is a habit which people easily lose . Increasing crowds isn`t just about making money in short term but also about keeping fans interested and involved with our club whether thay have a ST or not . Our next important match will be in late July - get folk involved and thinking about Hibs or let them forget our club and find new alternatives for weekends ?
5. How many STHs prefer a near empty stadium but where everyone has paid their share to a bigger crowd with a better atmosphere with lifelong Hibbies able to turn up with relatives and friends and others ( tourists , unemployed , students , children , ...) experience a Hibernian match for the first time ?
6. Away fans . Of course our last 3 visitors don`t have big supports but fair play to the fans that did travel to ER . Maybe we could do more to attract more away fans ? Reduced prices , stadium tours , free food provided by Hibs , photos of fans in new ER , post match drink or snack with home fans ,subsidised travel , .... Some of these ideas may seem strange but it`s too easy to complain about Old Firm dominance and do nothing to change situation and all the things I`m suggesting could be reciprocated - was there not a meaningless last day match at Killie a few years ago with reduced prices and a 12,000 crowd ?
7. Every time question of whether reduced prices mean bigger crowds is raised people say " no , look at what happened at Motherwell " . If I remember correctly , Motherwell attracted 6,000 crowds for a couple of games against St Mirren or Killie where there were almost no away fans and normal crowd would have been about 4,000 . Experiment was not tried against OF since in those days OF fans bothered to go to away games ( or could get tickets fairly easily ? ) . Crowds did go up significantly in terms of numbers but experiment didn`t last long enough to know if results were positive financially . I don`t think many if any people think that present SPL prices are justified - because prices are high in England some people try to justify high prices in Scotland when reality is that prices are too high in both countries ( if we are looking at having short and long term supports ) .
8 . Do we employ anyone whose job is to boost number of Hibernian fans and to make existing Hibernian fans/sympathisers ( whereever they live and whatever their reasons for being interested in Hibernian FC ) feel keener to support the club or to attract new supporters ? I suppose the obvious answer is yes but does anyone here really think we couldn`t have more supporters in the world with a bit more promotion ?
9. With new East Stand we now have a very impressive stadium ( although photos of old Holy Ground with massive terracings bring back memories ) - how many people outside Scotland know about it and are club ready to fill in corners at short notice to improve things even more ?
Realise that I have said more than a few things but doubt I`m the only one here who thinks that perhaps we should do more to retain and increase support .

Steve-O
02-05-2011, 08:03 AM
The only lasting unique selling point is a good football.

Price and reducing ticket prices has a very marginal bearing on things IMO.

If the team is worth paying to see the fans will pay to see them play.

So when we are playing well we can just start charging 50 quid a game?

IWasThere2016
02-05-2011, 08:19 AM
So when we are playing well we can just start charging 50 quid a game?

ok - within reason S .. but if you want to sell tickets and fill the ground the team needs to be worth watching. The draw of a nice new stand/completed ground is disappearing fast .. it is not an USP and a sustainable means for the club.

Dalkeith
03-05-2011, 08:47 AM
£10 for Aberdeen game

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110503/hibernian-v-aberdeen_2262950_2351562

Speedway
03-05-2011, 09:07 AM

No, you need to educate yourself and fine tune your networking/interviewing skills to land a much better paid job and then you need to increase your emotional intelligence/stability to form a loving relationship where you can have bairns of your own.

Ticket prices won't matter so much after that.

Another option is for the club to let everyone in for a tenner and then charge an extra £30 for a win, £10 for a draw and nothing for a defeat before you can be allowed to leave the stadium.