PDA

View Full Version : Like Father, Like Son

HNA4
27-04-2011, 09:29 AM
If CC is looking for a goalscorer next season lets hope he hits the jackpot as the club did back in 1965.

Read Jonnyboy's article on the 2 Joe McBrides who starred for Hibernian by clicking the following link...

Like Father Like Son (http://www.hibs.net/content.php?163-Like-Father-Like-Son)

--------
27-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Joe Snr was a genuine star - that run of goals just after he signed was incredible. I've never known the wounds of a star transfer out of ER healed so quickly. IIRC he scored something like 11 in his first 5 games.

I just wonder whether Jonnyboy's figures are for League and Cup goals, or do they include the European goals he scored?

The goals he scored I most enjoyed (as I suspect he did also) were two in a 2-0 defeat of Celtic at ER the following season. Joe wasn't one for spectacular goal celebrations (he scored so many he have burned himself out carrying on the way some strikers do today) but on this occasion he went sprinting back up the pitch after the first goal to receive his team-mates congratulations right in front of the Celtic bench - and a very dischuffed Jock Stein.

And then he did it again.... :devil:

I got the impression that he was making a point somehow, something about some comments Stein had made at the time of his transfer to us, about him having 'bad knees' and being 'past it'....

Joe Jnr was, sadly, only a shadow of his dad, but then his dad was a ferociously hard act to follow.

Ray_
27-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Joe Snr was a genuine star - that run of goals just after he signed was incredible. I've never known the wounds of a star transfer out of ER healed so quickly. IIRC he scored something like 11 in his first 5 games.

I just wonder whether Jonnyboy's figures are for League and Cup goals, or do they include the European goals he scored?

The goals he scored I most enjoyed (as I suspect he did also) were two in a 2-0 defeat of Celtic at ER the following season. Joe wasn't one for spectacular goal celebrations (he scored so many he have burned himself out carrying on the way some strikers do today) but on this occasion he went sprinting back up the pitch after the first goal to receive his team-mates congratulations right in front of the Celtic bench - and a very dischuffed Jock Stein.

And then he did it again.... :devil:

I got the impression that he was making a point somehow, something about some comments Stein had made at the time of his transfer to us, about him having 'bad knees' and being 'past it'....

Joe Jnr was, sadly, only a shadow of his dad, but then his dad was a ferociously hard act to follow.

I remember the game as one of the best of that time & I'm sure it was Hibs first game after had Tom hart joined the club. The first goal was a special effort from a special player & he later gave Arthur Duncan dogs abuse for blasting wide, at an impossible angle, when a simple square pass would have presented a simple tap in, for Mr McBride to complete his hat-trick.

Mikey
27-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Nice one JC :aok: