PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Champions League Semi Finals

Sylar
26-04-2011, 06:03 PM
The first of the Champions League finals takes place in Germany tonight, as the only remaining English club travel to take on Schalke, live on Sky Sports.

Mon the Germans :thumbsup:

Barney McGrew
26-04-2011, 06:04 PM

:stirrer:

:greengrin

Hermit Crab
26-04-2011, 06:05 PM
The first of the Champions League finals takes place in Germany tonight, as the only remaining English club travel to take on Schalke, live on Sky Sports.

:agree:

Sylar
26-04-2011, 06:08 PM
How awesome a venue is the Veltins arena?!

Stunning!

BroxburnHibee
26-04-2011, 06:08 PM

:troll:

:tee hee:

Removed
26-04-2011, 06:10 PM

hibsbollah
26-04-2011, 06:16 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danroan/2011/04/the_club_built_on_fan_power.html

read this if you want another reason to want Schalke to win:greengrin

Removed
26-04-2011, 06:20 PM

Great story.

lucky
26-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Ok ill bite Mon the British side

Wotherspiniesta
26-04-2011, 06:26 PM
C'Mon the Red Devils! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Springbank
26-04-2011, 06:31 PM
:troll:

Feed the troll!

It keeps life interesting.
:top marks

Springbank
26-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Ok ill bite Mon the British side

British in the sense of Bulgarian, Dutch, Brazilian, Serb, Irish, proud Scot (tho currently injured)

That kind of British

PeeJay
26-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Don't really mind who wins this evening - it would be a huge event in Germany for Schalke (who are having a miserable Bundesliga season) to make the final and it would greatly annoy the arrogant posers down in Munich - so for that reason alone I wouldn't mind Schalke winning. Raul is having a great CL and Neuer is also having a super season and if they can conjure up some of the old Eurofighter spirit they could even pull it off.

Still, part of me would also like Man Utd to get to the final and then stuff Barca.

Whatever, should be an interesting game - better than the one on Saturday past anyway!

Sylar
26-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Don't really mind who wins this evening - it would be a huge event in Germany for Schalke (who are having a miserable Bundesliga season) to make the final and it would greatly annoy the arrogant posers down in Munich - so for that reason alone I wouldn't mind Schalke winning. Raul is having a great CL and Neuer is also having a super season and if they can conjure up some of the old Eurofighter spirit they could even pull it off.

Still, part of me would also like Man Utd to get to the final and then stuff Barca.

Whatever, should be an interesting game - better than the one on Saturday past anyway!

Do you not mean Real? :wink:

Jamie Redknapp must be on the crack pipe again - just described Rooney and Hernandez as "the 2 most important strikers in world football".

Jesus, they're decent players, but hyperbole, thy name is...

Future17
26-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Great couple of semi-finals to look forward to. Genuinely not too bothered about who wins as any two of the four will make for a good final.

Hope Schalke and Barca win but actually predicting United versus Real at Wembley.

SunnyLeither
26-04-2011, 06:40 PM

Up the reds :aok:

Lofarl
26-04-2011, 06:44 PM
God that place is bouncing. Mon the Germans.

SteveHFC
26-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Come on the Schalke:aok:

Sylar
26-04-2011, 06:56 PM
What in the name of Christ did we all do to deserve being subjected to Graeme Souness for 90 minutes :rolleyes:

Wotherspiniesta
26-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Do you not mean Real? :wink:

Jamie Redknapp must be on the crack pipe again - just described Rooney and Hernandez as "the 2 most important strikers in world football".

Jesus, they're decent players, but hyperbole, thy name is...

Decent players? I think they're a bit better than "decent" :rolleyes:

Sylar
26-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Decent players? I think they're a bit better than "decent" :rolleyes:

I was being relative to the initial claim!

Wotherspiniesta
26-04-2011, 07:03 PM
I was being relative to the initial claim!

What does " the 2 most important strikers in world football" even mean? :confused:

Jamie Redknapp's a flange.

sambajustice
26-04-2011, 07:05 PM
The tit on sky sports news said "little schalke", they are one of germany's biggest teams if not the biggest in terms of fan base! English pricks!

Sylar
26-04-2011, 07:10 PM
United should lead.

Great chance for Hernandez.

Barney McGrew
26-04-2011, 07:12 PM
United should lead.

Great chance for Hernandez.

Neuer is keeping Schalke in it

Wotherspiniesta
26-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Schalke goalie keeping the Germans in this.

Wotherspiniesta
26-04-2011, 07:21 PM
How are United not leading? All over Schalke...

Cue a goal for the Germans...

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-04-2011, 07:24 PM
What does " the 2 most important strikers in world football" even mean? :confused:

Jamie Redknapp's a flange.

Im sure he said the 2 most in form strikers in world football which is even more ridiculous!
I normally quite like him too.

Sylar
26-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Souness should have a disease named after him :agree:

joe breezy
26-04-2011, 07:32 PM
come on United, I hope Schalke don't improve after half time and United can find the net, have a double on Stoke on Man U asides from anything else...

nonshinyfinish
26-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Neuer has been outstanding.

I'm not suffering Souness, just a couple of French dukes - much more agreeable.

Sylar
26-04-2011, 07:33 PM
In other games tonight, Qos 0-1 Ross County has successfully reached half time :greengrin

PeeJay
26-04-2011, 07:39 PM
0-0 flatters Schalke - they can be quite pleased with that result.

Craig_in_Prague
26-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Fergie still seeking a good keeper to replace Van der sar..... maybe he'll go sniffing after this keeper now.........been outstanding.

Sylar
26-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Fergie still seeking a good keeper to replace Van der sar..... maybe he'll go sniffing after this keeper now.........been outstanding.

Looks almost guaranteed to sign with Bayern Munchen at the end of the season :agree:

Barney McGrew
26-04-2011, 07:42 PM

They have been, but it looks like he's off to Bayern in the summer

Sir David Gray
26-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Unbelievable that United aren't about 4 or 5 up by now.

With the way things went in the first half, it probably has 1-0 Schalke written all over it.

nonshinyfinish
26-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Giggs showing his age there? :greengrin

Sylar
26-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Unbelievable that United aren't about 4 or 5 up by now.

With the way things went in the first half, it probably has 1-0 Schalke written all over it.

Wouldn't be a disaster for United - they're more than capable of scoring a couple at OT.

Sir David Gray
26-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Wouldn't be a disaster for United - they're more than capable of scoring a couple at OT.

:agree: I'd be quite happy with a 1-0 deficit going into the second leg.

SteveHFC
26-04-2011, 08:07 PM
1-0 Utd :grr::grr:

Sir David Gray
26-04-2011, 08:08 PM
1-0 United. :thumbsup:

:singing: Giggs, Giggs will tear you apart again...! :greengrin

HH81
26-04-2011, 08:08 PM
All these Manure fans posting, beware mobile Internet charges in Germany are quite high :wink:

SteveHFC
26-04-2011, 08:09 PM
2-0 Man Utd

H18sry
26-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Thats it tie over :agree:

Sir David Gray
26-04-2011, 08:10 PM
2-0 United, Roooooooooooooooooooney :thumbsup:

Que sera sera
Whatever will be, will be
We're going to Wembley
Que sera sera...:thumbsup:

joe breezy
26-04-2011, 08:13 PM
All these Manure fans posting, beware mobile Internet charges in Germany are quite high :wink:

i do like Man U due to friends but it does help when you have a bet on, not doing it again though...not big amounts again anyway

R'Albin
26-04-2011, 08:13 PM

Not a great fan of man utd are you?:greengrin

IWasThere2016
26-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Schalke are spineless - are we sure they're no Italians? :greengrin

HH81
26-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Not a great fan of man utd are you?:greengrin

The fans are my hero's. I want to be a glory fan too, don't you? It's exciting watching on sky and posting :thumbsup: when they score.

:not worth shame I couldn't meet any of them Sunday, It would have been funny :greengrin

Sir David Gray
26-04-2011, 08:36 PM
2-0 United, full time.

Really should have been 6 or 7 for United tonight but I'm sure a 2-0 lead will be enough for them to see it out at Old Trafford.

Bring on the Real or Barca! :aok:

Hibs90
26-04-2011, 08:48 PM
2-0 United, Roooooooooooooooooooney :thumbsup:

Que sera sera
Whatever will be, will be
We're going to Wembley
Que sera sera...:thumbsup:

They might be but you're not :greengrin

Removed
26-04-2011, 08:54 PM
They might be but you're not :greengrin

:agree: He's never seen them play apart from on the telly :rolleyes:

cheltenhamhibee
26-04-2011, 09:09 PM

2000 huns turned up ? i pity them lol

Love the Green
26-04-2011, 09:10 PM
2-0 United, full time.

Really should have been 6 or 7 for United tonight but I'm sure a 2-0 lead will be enough for them to see it out at Old Trafford.

Bring on the Real or Barca! :aok:

U having a larff that is the worst team I have ever seen contest ANY european semi-final what a disgrace and and insult to european club soccer.

"keep the faith":wink:

Sir David Gray
26-04-2011, 09:13 PM
:agree: He's never seen them play apart from on the telly :rolleyes:

I've always been very consistent with how I view Manchester Utd. I've always said that I like them and I like to see them winning trophies, which is true, but that I slightly exaggerate my feelings towards them on here.

If United do get to the final, I hope they win it but if they don't then I'll be over it, ten minutes after the final whistle.

Sir David Gray
26-04-2011, 09:15 PM
U having a larff that is the worst team I have ever seen contest ANY european semi-final what a disgrace and and insult to european club soccer.

You can only play the team that is put before you. It's hardly United's fault that they were drawn against Schalke in the semis and that they weren't up to it.

R'Albin
26-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Jeez do we have to have the same dull repetitive argument every night there's a man u game on! So a few folk on here like man u, they don't claim to be supporters, so let them follow who they want ffs!(rant over)

Wotherspiniesta
26-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Jeez do we have to have the same dull repetitive argument every night there's a man u game on! So a few folk on here like man u, they don't claim to be supporters, so let them follow who they want ffs!(rant over)

Usual suspects are getting their knickers in a twist about United winning.

Get it up them :na na:

Tynie01011973
26-04-2011, 09:39 PM

According to HalifaxHibs you can't be a 'decent' Hibs fan if you support Man Utd tho

:rolleyes:

Love the Green
26-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Usual suspects are getting their knickers in a twist about United winning.

Get it up them :na na:

YA YA

:wink:

Sir David Gray
26-04-2011, 09:42 PM
YA YA

'Mon the Potters! :aok:

Love the Green
26-04-2011, 09:52 PM

Bit worried about the final FalkirkHibee they have hit a bit of form at the right time and are much hungrier than us ....However I will be there and miss the Dons game.
Class will tell

"keep the faith":agree:

HibeeSince85
26-04-2011, 10:29 PM

Shalke were mince but they done the champions of Europe in the last round.

Man Utd were also very good, tore them to bits.

Removed
26-04-2011, 10:31 PM

:agree: :thumbsup:

HibeeSince85
26-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I've always been very consistent with how I view Manchester Utd. I've always said that I like them and I like to see them winning trophies, which is true, but that I slightly exaggerate my feelings towards them on here.

If United do get to the final, I hope they win it but if they don't then I'll be over it, ten minutes after the final whistle.

Cannot say fairer than that.

Some folk really get riled about Man U on here.

poolman
27-04-2011, 01:21 PM

Humped, drawn and quartered

Mon' the Red Devils :greengrin

Sylar
27-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Humped, drawn and quartered

Mon' the Red Devils :greengrin

I missed the bloody goals in the end - game was pretty dire, so I turned over to watch Masterchef.

Real vs Barcelona tonight - THE semi-final where the Champions League 2011 winners will emerge, regardless of which one goes forward :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I missed the bloody goals in the end - game was pretty dire, so I turned over to watch Masterchef.

Real vs Barcelona tonight - THE semi-final where the Champions League 2011 winners will emerge, regardless of which one goes forward :agree:

I don't know how you could call that game dire. Schalke were dire, but Man United were brilliant last night.

If you want a dire game, then look no further than the Copa Del Rey final last week. Shocking play from both teams with hardly any quality and fights all over the park.

To be fair, Mourinho had a game plan to frustrate Barca and break on them whenever they could. It's not the Real Madrid way, but they did it very well.

Sylar
27-04-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't know how you could call that game dire. Schalke were dire, but Man United were brilliant last night.

If you want a dire game, then look no further than the Copa Del Rey final last week. Shocking play from both teams with hardly any quality and fights all over the park.

To be fair, Mourinho had a game plan to frustrate Barca and break on them whenever they could. It's not the Real Madrid way, but they did it very well.

I'm sure for the Man Utd fans, it was a good game - United played well and were well deserving of their win, but from a neutral point of view and as a spectacle, there was very little to get enthused about.

Copa del Rey was pretty awful last week - but it's the way Real HAVE to play Barcelona. They tried to match them at the Camp Nou earlier in the season and Barca pumped 5 past them.

I'm wary tonight will be the same to be honest. Never mind though - Masterchef is on again at 9pm :greengrin

PeeJay
27-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm sure for the Man Utd fans, it was a good game - United played well and were well deserving of their win, but from a neutral point of view and as a spectacle, there was very little to get enthused about.

Copa del Rey was pretty awful last week - but it's the way Real HAVE to play Barcelona. They tried to match them at the Camp Nou earlier in the season and Barca pumped 5 past them.

I'm wary tonight will be the same to be honest. Never mind though - Masterchef is on again at 9pm :greengrin

Think most Germans were impressed by United's display - a class apart from a poor Schalke team. Giggs - for an old man - had a great game, as did Rooney. From a certain point on the game took on the character of a training session, poor standard for a semi-final really - not Man United's fault though. The real test will come in the final of course.

Wonder if Ferguson will try and coax Neuer away from Bayern München?

Craig_in_Prague
27-04-2011, 05:59 PM
El Clasico still get's me :hyper: :drool:

I hope Barca can cut them open better coz the last 2 games they've struggled too.... Mourinho is a spolier, but best in the game at tactics.
With Ineista missing too, I don't feel too confident for Barca tonight.... but I'd imagine both teams would settle for a dull 0-0 or 1-1 and then go more for it next Tuesday.

'mon Barca, pump them

HH81
27-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Given the other semi its clear tonight game should be the final. 2 best sides in the champions league. No doubt. It's a crying shame really.

Sylar
27-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Real NEED to get in front in the tie tonight. If we reach a position where Real Madrid need to attack and go for the tie, Barca will destroy them.

Their best hope is to frustrate Barcelona tonight and hit them on the break. One up front in Ronaldo suggests that's their aim.

I don't expect a decent game tonight truth be told. Barcelona are going to miss Iniesta and will be vulnerable at left back with Puyol filling in for Maxwell (injured) and Abidal (long term illness).

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-04-2011, 06:45 PM

You really cannae go wrong there, whether Man U win or lose then! Man U win you can pull your pud, lose, then a wee shrug of the shoulders and move on!

PeeJay
27-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Given the other semi its clear tonight game should be the final. 2 best sides in the champions league. No doubt. It's a crying shame really.

Barca may be the best team overall, but I'm not sure that there's much in it between RM and Man Utd? Personally I'd tip Man Utd to win against Real, not so sure about Barca though.

sunshine1875
27-04-2011, 06:49 PM
What time does the Hertz game start? They are in the Champions League semis, aren't they?

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 06:53 PM

:yawn:

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 06:56 PM
So.....when does this game start?

HH81
27-04-2011, 06:57 PM
:yawn:

I can always count on you for a bite. Then again I was right wasn't I?

HH81
27-04-2011, 06:58 PM
So.....when does this game start?

Champions league finals normally start off slow.

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I can always count on you for a bite. Then again I was right wasn't I?

:zzzzz!:

sunshine1875
27-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Not always..........

GOAL! Barcelona 1-0 Man United (Eto'o 9)

Mikey
27-04-2011, 07:05 PM
What a load of guff this is. 18 mins and I'm done.

HH81
27-04-2011, 07:07 PM
:zzzzz!:

I agree football games on the tv can be boring. I think man united might struggle at.Bradford tomorrow though. Should be big crowd on though.

Barney McGrew
27-04-2011, 07:25 PM
It's getting tasty now :greengrin

Naughty wee foul from Arbeloa. What's the chances of yet another red card in an El Classico?

LancashireHibby
27-04-2011, 07:31 PM
I agree football games on the tv can be boring. I think man united might struggle at.Bradford tomorrow though. Should be big crowd on though.

I bet I'm one of the few who will understand that one! Might be going there myself actually. Not the least bit keen on BPA though regardless of the green connection.

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Not only have Barca stooped to Madrid's level, they've actually acted worse than them.

Pathetic antics from Pedro, Mascherano, Alves and Busquets this half.

Sylar
27-04-2011, 07:33 PM
2 wonderful teams and I hope both are embarrassed by their actions.

Di Maria and Marcello have both taken dives, as did Busquets.

I'm also getting utterly fed up of watching the Barcelona players whinging to the ref every single time there's a foul.

Shame, as Barcelona's possession football has been spellbinding at times.

Great effort from Ronaldo there too.

Ah well, roll on Masterchef final :greengrin

sunshine1875
27-04-2011, 07:43 PM
How bad is Gordon Strachan? Give me McCann any day!

Sylar
27-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Barcelona's substitute keeper (Pinto) has been sent off as a result of his role in the melee just before the players left the pitch at HT.*

It's a shame, as both these sides are capable of superb football, but the last 3 Clasico's now have been memorable for all the wrong reasons.

*Edit - I don't see what he done wrong mind you - one of the Madrid coaching staff grabbed him by the throat and he threw him off him. Shameful all in really.

Woody1985
27-04-2011, 08:03 PM
How dire has the passing been.

Dirkster23
27-04-2011, 08:05 PM
How dire has the passing been.

:agree: I've never seen Barca give the ball away so often.

Removed
27-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Both teams worse than Man U & Chelsea for surrounding the ref

IWasThere2016
27-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Red for Pepe .. Need to see the replay but looked ok to me.

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Shocking decision.

easty
27-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Whata pathetic bunch of crying little ******s on both sides. Diving, overreacting and running to the referee the whole game from just about all of them.

Ruining what should be a fantastic game. Brilliant.

Removed
27-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Red for Pepe .. Need to see the replay but looked ok to me.

Shocking decision.

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Whata pathetic bunch of crying little ******s on both sides. Diving, overreacting and running to the referee the whole game from just about all of them.

Ruining what should be a fantastic game. Brilliant.

Expect at least one more red.

H18sry
27-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Barca are worse than the old firm for moaning at the referee :agree:

NOLA
27-04-2011, 08:12 PM
madrid are a cheating disgrace , they deserve nothing.

iwasthere1972
27-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Was that a pizza order that Jose handed to someone?

Dirkster23
27-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Barca are worse than the old firm for moaning at the referee :agree:

Both as bad as each other :agree:

H18sry
27-04-2011, 08:15 PM

:confused: Madrid players are not the ones dropping like the have stood on a land mine :rolleyes:

H18sry
27-04-2011, 08:17 PM

:agree: yup Barca and the old firm united in moaning, I'll give you that :wink:

khib70
27-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Jeez, where did you dig that up from? Barca are a whining, diving bunch of manipulators, with Alves the worst offender. And Mascherano is a thug. The Barca love in on here and on ITV is almost as sick making as the Royal Wedding.

Not that Madrid have been much better. As Gareth Southgate correctly said, we're seeing the other side of the much-hyped LaLiga.

easty
27-04-2011, 08:19 PM
:confused: Madrid players are not the ones dropping like the have stood on a land mine :rolleyes:

Surely if you stand on a land mine the way you go is up now down? :rolleyes:

Tynie01011973
27-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Think you will find it has been the Barcelona players who have continually been surrounding the referee far more than Real Madrid in the game.

Tonight has shown all the bad points of Spanish football instead what could have been a great advert for the game.

:grr:

Sir David Gray
27-04-2011, 08:20 PM
If what Pepe did to get sent off is now considered by referees to be a red card offence then football, as a contact sport, is finished.

Removed
27-04-2011, 08:20 PM

:faf:

H18sry
27-04-2011, 08:21 PM

What goes up must come down :na na:

iwasthere1972
27-04-2011, 08:22 PM
At last 1-0 Barca

Dirkster23
Messi :greengrin

Barney McGrew
Get in :aok:

Great wing play from Afellay

Sir David Gray
1-0 Barcelona, Messi.

There's a surprise...:rolleyes:

Removed
27-04-2011, 08:23 PM
1-0 Barcelona, Messi.

And the difference with Rooney is? :rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
27-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Messi's got 50 odd goals this season and Rooney hasnae :greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Game Spoliers 0-1 Whinging Gits

bingo70
27-04-2011, 08:26 PM
1-0 Barcelona, Messi.

Whats with the rolling of the eyes :confused:

He might score a lot of goals but please tell me you're not suggesting it's a one man team :confused:

Removed
27-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Messi's got 50 odd goals this season and Rooney hasnae :greengrin

SaulGoodman
27-04-2011, 08:27 PM

You'd probably go all over the place...

bingo70
27-04-2011, 08:27 PM

Rooney cost £30 odd million and Messi never :dunno:

khib70
27-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Another Barca dying swan act, another yellow card. How easily conned is this ref?

Alfred E Newman
27-04-2011, 08:29 PM

No wonder we beat them both :wink:

Barney McGrew
27-04-2011, 08:30 PM

Messi's got two Champions League winners medals and four league championship medals and Rooney hasnae :dunno:

khib70
27-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Messi's got two Champions League winners medals and four league championship medals and Rooney hasnae :dunno:
Messi likes his women under 65, and doesnt have to pay for it, either.

Removed
Mercer song now :singing:

LancashireHibby
What a goal!! Bobbins is that Messi.

Sir David Gray
2-0, Messi.

I'm shocked...:rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
And that ladies and gentlemen is exactly why he's better than Rooney.

End of. :aok:

HibeeSince85
27-04-2011, 08:33 PM
What a player.

Man U v Barca final, this place will be fun.

iwasthere1972
27-04-2011, 08:33 PM
They think it's all over. It is now.

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Brilliant goal by Messi, best player on the planet by a mile.

surreyhibbie
How good was that goal from Messi?

:not worth

IWasThere2016
Messi is God!

Since90+2
And that ladies and gentlemen is exactly why he's better than Rooney.

End of. :aok:

Rooney is not even close to being on the same level as Messi. Rooney is a level below Xavi , Villa , Iniesta nevermind Lionel Messi.

HH81
27-04-2011, 08:35 PM
What a player.

Man U v Barca final, this place will be fun.

Doubt it, they will all be at wembley :-)

H18sry
27-04-2011, 08:37 PM

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::devil:

Sir David Gray
27-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Whats with the rolling of the eyes :confused:

He might score a lot of goals but please tell me you're not suggesting it's a one man team :confused:

Ok, I won't tell you...:wink:

I'm confused. :confused:

Are you now saying that Rooney is 30 million times better than Messi? :dunno:

Rooney has one Champions League winners medal and three league championship medals so, in about a month's time, they'll be all square.

Removed
27-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Much is a wheelchair & carer ticket? You can take him :devil:

Barney McGrew
27-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Rooney has one Champions League winners medal and three league championship medals so, in about a month's time, they'll be all square.

Aye, United did so well last time they played Barca in the final eh?

hibsbollah
27-04-2011, 08:41 PM
If messi retired now hed still be one of the best five players ever. As it stands hes probably got ten years left. I think he'll eventually be considered the best ever.

Comparing him with anyone else currently playing is daft.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-04-2011, 08:43 PM
I wonder if Messi will make it into Jamie R's top 2 strikers in world football now?

Sir David Gray
27-04-2011, 08:44 PM

I've got a good feeling about this time around.

United will be in "home" surroundings for a start, I think that will make a difference.

It will definitely be van der Sar's last competitive match as a professional footballer and guys like Giggs and Scholes might never be back in a Champions League final again. I think that will be enough motivation for United to lift the trophy for 4th time.

Removed
27-04-2011, 08:47 PM
How bad is Gordon Strachan? Give me McCann any day!

Why on earth is he there :confused:

Embarrasing.

Barney McGrew
United will be in "home" surroundings for a start, I think that will make a difference

Well it is in London, which will be a five mile maximum trip for most of their fans :greengrin

Since90+2

United will be in "home" surroundings for a start, I think that will make a difference.

It will definitely be van der Sar's last competitive match as a professional footballer and guys like Giggs and Scholes might never be back in a Champions League final again. I think that will be enough motivation for United to lift the trophy for 4th time.

I dont think its by any means a certainty that Barca will win it but if they play at anywhere close to their best they will beat Man Utd. And the simple reason for that is they are a better team with better players and one of the greatest players thats ever lived.

You never know Man Utd could get fortunate on the night but I cant see it.

The Voice Of Reason
27-04-2011, 08:48 PM

Sorry, but I think Barca will beat Man U (presuming they both get there!) in the final. :agree:

bingo70
27-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Ok, I won't tell you...:wink:

I'm confused. :confused:

Are you now saying that Rooney is 30 million times better than Messi? :dunno:

Aye Messi carries Villa, Xavi and Iniesta right enough, bunch of donkeys that they are. :rolleyes:

Aye but united had Fletcher suspended for that game :rolleyes:

Delighted Barca won tonight, the way they dived about was shocking but one team tried to win that game tonight and it wasn't the home team, Mourinho played for a draw and it backfired, nae luck

sunshine1875
27-04-2011, 08:52 PM
So Rooney is not as good as Messi in many peoples eyes. No surprise there, but they are two completely different type of players.

Messi is without doubt one of the two or three best players in the world ever. Only Pele and Maradona are at that level.

They are many other players that are very, very, very good, but slightly below that level....guys like Zidane, Kaka, Ronaldo, Ronaldino plus many other Brazilians.

Rooney! He is not at that level in terms of flashy skill, but makes up for it by his workrate. He is IMO the ultimate team player.

If a team had Rooney and Messi, then what a team they would be.

Removed
27-04-2011, 08:54 PM
So Rooney is not as good as Messi in many peoples eyes. No surprise there, but they are two completely different type of players.

Messi is without doubt one of the two or three best players in the world ever. Only Pele and Maradona are at that level.

They are many other players that are very, very, very good, but slightly below that level....guys like Zidane, Kaka, Ronaldo, Ronaldino plus many other Brazilians.

Rooney! He is not at that level in terms of flashy skill, but makes up for it by his workrate. He is IMO the ultimate team player.

What about Templeton :confused:

Since90+2
27-04-2011, 08:55 PM

Do you think Rooney is a better player than David Villa?

HH81
27-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Much is a wheelchair & carer ticket? You can take him :devil:

Great idea...I'm there if carer doesn't pay an admin fee. I reckon Mr Falkirkhibs would love a day out with me :agree:

:aok:

Wembley67
27-04-2011, 08:57 PM

Hope the Mancs get destroyed purely to piss off one person on this board and I actually like Man U as well.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2011, 08:58 PM
I dont think its by any means a certainty that Barca will win it but if they play at anywhere close to their best they will beat Man Utd. And the simple reason for that is they are a better team with better players and one of the greatest players thats ever lived.

You never know Man Utd could get fortunate on the night but I cant see it.

I agree, if Barcelona play near to their very best then they will win the Champions League. If they play near to their very best then they will win any football match.

However, I've seen most of the three recent Barcelona-Real Madrid matches and I've not been impressed by Barcelona. Messi's second goal tonight was excellent and he is the best player in the world by quite some distance but if he has an off night then I think United have every chance.

Since90+2
27-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I agree, if Barcelona play near to their very best then they will win the Champions League. If they play near to their very best then they will win any football match.

However, I've seen most of the three recent Barcelona-Real Madrid matches and I've not been impressed by Barcelona. Messi's second goal tonight was excellent and he is the best player in the world by quite some distance but if he has an off night then I think United have every chance.

Would agree with most of that :agree:

Cracking match to look forward to anyways :greengrin

H18sry
27-04-2011, 09:01 PM

:cool2: Take of your MANC coloured glasses, Manures away form this season has been shocking. :agree:

sunshine1875
27-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Good question. Based on tonight, yes! But David Villa is a fantastic player and tonight was not a good example of what he can do!

They are both very good players. I will leave it at that.

Mon Dieu4
27-04-2011, 09:03 PM
If messi retired now hed still be one of the best five players ever. As it stands hes probably got ten years left. I think he'll eventually be considered the best ever.

Comparing him with anyone else currently playing is daft.

What about Amadou?

As for top 5 players ever, I still have him currently at no2 just behind Maradona, but have no doubt he will go on to be the best player ever.

He is simply frightening and to score 52 goals already this season with a month left is simply unbelievable.

I cant really put into words how good he is, still he could do a bit with a bit more work rate eh?:wink:

Since90+2
27-04-2011, 09:04 PM
:cool2: Take of your MANC coloured glasses, Manures away form this season has been shocking. :agree:

I thought they hadnt conceded a goal away from home in Champions League all season? :confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Dont think Rooney works harder than Messi to be honest.

Mon Dieu4
27-04-2011, 09:09 PM

:faf::faf::faf: Lionel doesnt do off nights, he was fairly quiet tonight, then when he decided he wanted to get involved the game was over. I like the fact he decides when he can be arsed to run past 5 players and score :agree:

He is getting like Chuck Norris for me, there is nothing he cannot do:not worth

H18sry
27-04-2011, 09:15 PM
I thought they hadnt conceded a goal away from home in Champions League all season? :confused:

Away form in general not outside England :greengrin

Sylar
27-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Glad of the outcome.

I've grown fed up of watching Real Madrid trying to "park the bus" against Barcelona. I'm aware they're unlikely to do anything by going all out but it's "anti-football" and I love watching good footballing teams overcoming it.

I'd fancy Barcelona to take care of the 2nd leg but won't be in a hurry to watch it following the antics of the past 3 games.

Assuming it is a Man Utd vs Barcelona final, I've no real preference to the outcome. Whoever plays the better football on the day will deserve it - both are very different but both very good teams. There's no arguing (even from the most hardcore of Man Utd fans) that Barcelona are the best footballing side on the planet. However, Man Utd continually graft and grind out results more often than not. I do feel Barcelona will be too much for them right enough as Man Utd's midfield is nowhere near the calibre of Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets. Both defenses are vulnerable and both have forwards capable of scoring goals at will. There will be some very interesting battles all over the park and it should hopefully be a spectacle for all the right reasons.

Some of the Old Firm fans might be paranoid, but this game featured 3 red cards, scuffles at the side of the pitch, shameful approach to the officials and missiles/lasers from the Real fans. Willing to bet UEFA will let this one slide though.

Hibs90
27-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Messi best player in my living years. Nobody near him. Messi takes Ronaldo, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Zidane etc and rips them a new one.

Messi :not worth

hibsbollah
27-04-2011, 09:19 PM
What about Amadou?

As for top 5 players ever, I still have him currently at no2 just behind Maradona, but have no doubt he will go on to be the best player ever.

He is simply frightening and to score 52 goals already this season with a month left is simply unbelievable.

I cant really put into words how good he is, still he could do a bit with a bit more work rate eh?:wink:

I'm not counting Amadou, he's taking time away fron football doing humanitarian work. The Arab-Israeli conflict comes first after all.

Messi is just a phenomenon. What he did tonight on the biggest stage against the best defensive tactician in world football was simply Incredible.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2011, 09:21 PM

Since the final will be played at Wembley (a neutral venue) I'm not sure what relevance their away form takes on.

But anyway;

Last night they went away to a team that hadn't lost a home game in the Champions League this season (beating teams like Valencia, Inter Milan and Lyon) and absolutely hammered them. If it wasn't for Schalke's goalkeeper, it would have been 6 or 7 last night.

United, on the other hand, have won five and drawn one of their away games in the Champions League this season, without losing a goal (to Bursaspor, Rangers, Valencia, Marseille, Chelsea and now Schalke.)

They've also lost just three out of seventeen Premier League away games this season.

I just wish Hibs' away record was as bad as that. :agree:

Removed
27-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Some of the Old Firm fans might be paranoid, but this game featured 3 red cards, scuffles at the side of the pitch, shameful approach to the officials and missiles/lasers from the Real fans. Willing to bet UEFA will let this one slide though.

The key factor being there wasn't any sectarian singing unless anyone knows any anti Catalan songs :dunno:

Wonder how many wives and girlfriends are getting battered in Madrid tonight?

Sylar
27-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Since the final will be played at Wembley (a neutral venue) I'm not sure what relevance their away form takes on.

But anyway;

Last night they went away to a team that hadn't lost a home game in the Champions League this season (beating teams like Valencia, Inter Milan and Lyon) and absolutely hammered them. If it wasn't for Schalke's goalkeeper, it would have been 6 or 7 last night.

United, on the other hand, have won five and drawn one of their away games in the Champions League this season, without losing a goal (to Bursaspor, Rangers, Valencia, Marseille, Chelsea and now Schalke.)

They've also lost just three out of seventeen Premier League away games this season.

I just wish Hibs' away record was as bad as that. :agree:

So what you're saying is that Man Utd haven't really been challenged yet then? :greengrin

HibeeSince85
27-04-2011, 09:23 PM

They are both very good players who play the game differently but out of the two i'd take Rooney.

Sylar
27-04-2011, 09:23 PM
The key factor being there wasn't any sectarian singing unless anyone knows any anti Catalan songs :dunno:

Wonder how many wives and girlfriends are getting battered in Madrid tonight?

These might be issues in the OF fixture, but weren't the reason UEFA intervened.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Glad of the outcome.

I've grown fed up of watching Real Madrid trying to "park the bus" against Barcelona. I'm aware they're unlikely to do anything by going all out but it's "anti-football" and I love watching good footballing teams overcoming it.

I'd fancy Barcelona to take care of the 2nd leg but won't be in a hurry to watch it following the antics of the past 3 games.

Assuming it is a Man Utd vs Barcelona final, I've no real preference to the outcome. Whoever plays the better football on the day will deserve it - both are very different but both very good teams. There's no arguing (even from the most hardcore of Man Utd fans) that Barcelona are the best footballing side on the planet. However, Man Utd continually graft and grind out results more often than not. I do feel Barcelona will be too much for them right enough as Man Utd's midfield is nowhere near the calibre of Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets. Both defenses are vulnerable and both have forwards capable of scoring goals at will. There will be some very interesting battles all over the park and it should hopefully be a spectacle for all the right reasons.

Do Spain have their own version of Alex Salmond? :confused:

If so, I expect a summit to be called ahead of next week's second leg. :agree:

sambajustice
27-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I wonder if Messi will make it into Jamie R's top 2 strikers in world football now?

I just spat a half eaten cracker onto my laptop screen!!!

LOL

scoopyboy
27-04-2011, 09:34 PM
I just spat a half eaten cracker onto my laptop screen!!!

LOL

You managed to get a whole cracker in your mouth at once???????

hibsbollah
27-04-2011, 09:35 PM

Lionel can do that.

sambajustice
27-04-2011, 09:36 PM
A couple of years ago Man U had Rooney AND Ronaldo in the same team and Barca pissed on them. I would say that Barca are now better than they were then while Man U aren't as strong!

More of the same please, much urine to be showered over the Mancs!!!

sambajustice
27-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Well it was more like half a cracker. And it had some cheese on it. Cheddar.

Removed
27-04-2011, 09:38 PM
These might be issues in the OF fixture, but weren't the reason UEFA intervened.

Really? I thought it was the songs :confused:

lapsedhibee
27-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Yet the final may be even more one-sided.

Mon Dieu4
27-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Lionel can do that.

He can also eat a whole packet of fruit pastels without chewing and can eat a donut withought licking his lips :agree:

scoopyboy
27-04-2011, 09:55 PM
A couple of years ago Man U had Rooney AND Ronaldo in the same team and Barca pissed on them. I would say that Barca are now better than they were then while Man U aren't as strong!

I really looked forward to that final thinking it would be a great game of football, how wrong I was. Barcelona never really got out of second gear but were miles ahead of Utd.

I would have agreed with you regarding this years final up until last night, I thought Man U were really good and could have won by a huge margin if it wasn't for the goalie. I have said in previous threads that I thought they were the third best team in England and it was their resolve that carried them through.

Given their resolve and the fact the final is at Wembley I think they will put up a better show.

Not saying they will win but I'm hoping it will be the game I had looked for the last time.

PS. It also wouldn't surprise me if Barca had players suspended for the final following the second leg. I reckon RM will try to kick them off the park.

hibsbollah
27-04-2011, 09:58 PM
He can also eat a whole packet of fruit pastels without chewing and can eat a donut withought licking his lips :agree:

The true sign of a winner.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2011, 10:37 PM

Manchester Utd aren't as strong in what sense?

Out of the United starting XI in the '09 final, the only player who is no longer at Old Trafford is Ronaldo. Now, I would admit that he was a great player for Man Utd and was initially a big loss for them but I would say that they now have a player in Hernandez who is just as important to the way United play now as Ronaldo was a couple of years ago.

United made 3 changes last night to the team that played in the 2009 final.

Fabio played last night instead of O'Shea.
Valencia played last night instead of Anderson.
Hernandez played last night instead of Ronaldo.

I wouldn't say that those changes have made the team any weaker than the one that played Barcelona two years ago.

I really looked forward to that final thinking it would be a great game of football, how wrong I was. Barcelona never really got out of second gear but were miles ahead of Utd.

I would have agreed with you regarding this years final up until last night, I thought Man U were really good and could have won by a huge margin if it wasn't for the goalie. I have said in previous threads that I thought they were the third best team in England and it was their resolve that carried them through.

Given their resolve and the fact the final is at Wembley I think they will put up a better show.

Not saying they will win but I'm hoping it will be the game I had looked for the last time.

PS. It also wouldn't surprise me if Barca had players suspended for the final following the second leg. I reckon RM will try to kick them off the park.

Puyol, Villa and Messi would do nicely. :aok:

HibbyAndy
27-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Barca will pump Man u AGAIN in the final .

FACT.

And FalkirkHibee ( I love Man u mare than hibs) There aint a hope in hell i forgot about your idiocity comment about how united 'couldnt possibly lose to City'..Makes you look like a fag end no no? ...You owe me a forefeit..And boy ill think of it!.

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 11:39 PM

FACT.

And FalkirkHibee ( I love Man u mare than hibs) There aint a hope in hell i forgot about your idiocity comment about how united 'couldnt possibly lose to City'..Makes you look like a fag end no no? ...You owe me a forefeit..And boy ill think of it!.

HibbyAndy
27-04-2011, 11:40 PM

Bet he thought i forgot :greengrin

Removed
27-04-2011, 11:45 PM

Doubt it Andy. I bet it's the first thing he thinks about every morning when he wakes up :worried:

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 11:45 PM

That' not what i'm laughing at :greengrin

scoopyboy
28-04-2011, 05:41 AM

FACT.

Double standards?

Man Utd couldn't possibly lose to City

Barca to pump Man U again Fact.

Both fag end comments?

HH81
28-04-2011, 05:53 AM
Double standards?

Both fag end comments?
Ah but won't it only be a fag end comment if barca don't win? If they do it will be fact.
We all know the outcome of the other comment.

Sylar
28-04-2011, 06:06 AM

FACT.

If Man Utd do beat Barcelona in the final, I'd say you and FH are square in terms in forfeits :agree:

sambajustice
28-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Manchester Utd aren't as strong in what sense?

Out of the United starting XI in the '09 final, the only player who is no longer at Old Trafford is Ronaldo. Now, I would admit that he was a great player for Man Utd and was initially a big loss for them but I would say that they now have a player in Hernandez who is just as important to the way United play now as Ronaldo was a couple of years ago.

United made 3 changes last night to the team that played in the 2009 final.

Fabio played last night instead of O'Shea.
Valencia played last night instead of Anderson.
Hernandez played last night instead of Ronaldo.

I wouldn't say that those changes have made the team any weaker than the one that played Barcelona two years ago.

Ronaldo > Hernandez

Hernandez has hit a rich vein of form but to say he's on a par with Ronaldo is laughable. But lets just say Man U aren't any weaker than 09, Barca are better now than they were in 09 and you's got pumped then therefore, Barca will pump Manure provided they don't get a spate of injuries or suspensions!

Dirkster23
28-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Double standards?

Both fag end comments?

Spot on Scoopyboy :agree:

Andy's every bit as bad with his statements of FACT- difference is Falkirk didn't bottle it when it came to accepting a forfeit- FACT :agree:

pacorosssco
28-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Think man u have a chance at wembley against barca. Rooney is back on form and Giggs is playing very well too.

Ferguson got tactics wrong last time , wont do that twice.

Hopefully a good final

Sir David Gray
28-04-2011, 11:53 AM

FACT.

Is that so?

Bath of beans riding on it Andy? :agree:

If Man Utd do beat Barcelona in the final, I'd say you and FH are square in terms in forfeits :agree:

Totally agree with this. :agree:

Ronaldo > Hernandez

Hernandez has hit a rich vein of form but to say he's on a par with Ronaldo is laughable. But lets just say Man U aren't any weaker than 09, Barca are better now than they were in 09 and you's got pumped then therefore, Barca will pump Manure provided they don't get a spate of injuries or suspensions!

We'll see...

As I said last night, Barcelona will deservedly go into any match as the favourites and if it is Barcelona-Manchester Utd in the final then the Barcelona fans will rightly feel confident about winning it - any team that has Messi in it should be looking to beat any other side.

However, I just have a wee feeling that United will do it this year, particularly since the final is at Wembley.

I'm making no bold statements about what United will or won't do (I learned my lesson after the FA Cup semi!) but I think they'll have more of a chance than a lot of people are giving them credit for, if they do play Barcelona in the final.

Removed
28-04-2011, 12:10 PM

Nah, I'd say one big bath and they both go in together. You know it makes sense :agree:

Pretty Boy
28-04-2011, 12:21 PM
It's probably worth remembering that whilst we are all arguing about who will win the final no one has actually qualified for the final yet. Ok it looks like it will be Barca and Man Utd but footballs a funny old game and has a way of throwing up some strange outcomes, Madrid have an awful record at Camp Nou but i wouldn't say a team that has the players in it that they do is totally dead and buried just yet, Man Utd looked in a strong position last year against Munich, one moment of madness from Rafael and they were in all kinds of trouble, again i expect United to go through but you just never know.

If it was a Man Utd v Barcelona final then Barca would rightly be favourites, however United are a team that can grind out results and are probably most dangerous when they are written off. Ferguson has his midfield playing high and in the oppositions faces, this will make Barca have to think and get the passing spot on, if they have an off night then the chance is there for Man Utd.

Personally i'm just glad that Mourinhos anti football got what it deserved last night, a winning manager - definitely, a good manager - definitely but a manger who can entertain and be successful - most definitely not. Mourinho has built teams that for years have kicked, scratched, bitten, feigned injury, time wasted, dived, intimidated referees etc etc, remember Porto against Celtic in the Uefa Cup, remember that Chelsea team sending Anders Frisk into retirement so to see them get a taste of their own medicine last night was particularly pleasing.

Sir David Gray
28-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Nah, I'd say one big bath and they both go in together. You know it makes sense :agree:

Absolutely no danger. :tsk tsk:

I draw the line right there. :agree:

sambajustice
28-04-2011, 01:11 PM
If Man U win this Champions League then Fergie will have to retire. It will be his greatest ever achievement and it wont be topped. To beat a team superior in every department in the Champions League final would just have to be the cherry on the icing on the cake!

Sir David Gray
28-04-2011, 02:35 PM
If Man U win this Champions League then Fergie will have to retire. It will be his greatest ever achievement and it wont be topped. To beat a team superior in every department in the Champions League final would just have to be the cherry on the icing on the cake!

If United do win the CL this year, I don't think Ferguson will retire. In fact, I think winning it for a 3rd time, and for a 4th time in the club's history, would make Ferguson even more determined to keep going and guide United to a 5th title.

Why?

Because if United win the Premiership this year, they'll overtake Liverpool and become the most successful club in English football history. If they were to win the Champions League for a 4th time this year, then they would only need to win it once more to equal Liverpool's English record of being five times champions of Europe.

I think that would be a burning desire for Ferguson and if he was to win it for a 4th time, and a 5th time in United's history, then he would retire a very happy man.

lapsedhibee
28-04-2011, 02:56 PM
If United do win the CL this year, I don't think Ferguson will retire. In fact, I think winning it for a 3rd time, and for a 4th time in the club's history, would make Ferguson even more determined to keep going and guide United to a 5th title.

Why?

Because if United win the Premiership this year, they'll overtake Liverpool and become the most successful club in English football history. If they were to win the Champions League for a 4th time this year, then they would only need to win it once more to equal Liverpool's English record of being five times champions of Europe.

I think that would be a burning desire for Ferguson and if he was to win it for a 4th time, and a 5th time in United's history, then he would retire a very happy man.

I don't get that. If he would stay to on to beat (not equal) Liverpuddle's record in the English league, why would he retire after equalling (not beating) Liverpuddle's record in the Yooropean championship? Manchester are that good, shirley it wouldn't be too much bother to win the CL another couple of times? :confused:

Sir David Gray
28-04-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't get that. If he would stay to on to beat (not equal) Liverpuddle's record in the English league, why would he retire after equalling (not beating) Liverpuddle's record in the Yooropean championship? Manchester are that good, shirley it wouldn't be too much bother to win the CL another couple of times? :confused:

I don't think he's stayed on with the intention of necessarily beating Liverpool's haul of English league titles, it's just worked out that way. It's just coincidence that in the year United will probably overtake Liverpool's record of 18 titles, they may also go just one behind their total of 5 European titles.

If that does happen, I think he'll want to equal Liverpool's record. Maybe he will want to go on and win another two so that United overtake Liverpool, but I suspect that he'll be quite content in knowing that when he took over in 1986, the stats were as follows;

English titles

Liverpool-16
Manchester Utd-7

European titles

Liverpool-4
Manchester Utd-1

If he left, about 30 years later, with the stats being;

English titles

Liverpool-18
Manchester Utd-19 (at least)

European titles

Liverpool-5
Manchester Utd-5

Then I think he would be quite pwoud with that effort. :agree:

Haymaker
28-04-2011, 03:25 PM
English titles

Liverpool-16
Manchester Utd-7

European titles

Liverpool-4
Manchester Utd-1

If he left, about 30 years later, with the stats being;

English titles

Liverpool-18
Manchester Utd-19 (at least)

European titles

Liverpool-5
Manchester Utd-5

Then I think he would be quite pwoud with that effort. :agree:

It is quite alot of trophies. Wish a Hibs manager could post those numbers in the next 30 years!

Tynie01011973
29-04-2011, 10:01 PM

In every department ? That is such a stupid 'sweeping generalisation' of teams with top quality players. How do you quantify that ?

Valdes [how many caps does he have ??] is better than Van Der Sar ? - don't think so
Barca back 4 better than Man U back 4 - Its hard to differentiate between the two teams - personally I think Man U prob just shade it as a defensive unit. As an attacking unit prob Barca would be better as Alves plays more as a winger than defensive RB anywayz.

Midfield - Barca would probably be better as an attacking 4 - Xavi/Iniesta are a very strong partnership - this will be of one the key battles IF they meet in the CL Final.

Up Front - Villa + Messi v Rooney and Hernandez ? - Who ever wins the midfield battle will determine which of the forwards will get enough quality possession to create enough 'goalscoring' opportunities.

Lets see who qualifies for the final anyway before 'analysing' possible outcomes first eh ?

lapsedhibee
29-04-2011, 10:13 PM
In every department ? That is such a stupid 'sweeping generalisation' of teams with top quality players. How do you quantify that ?

Valdes [how many caps does he have ??] is better than Van Der Sar ? - don't think so
Barca back 4 better than Man U back 4 - Its hard to differentiate between the two teams - personally I think Man U prob just shade it as a defensive unit. As an attacking unit prob Barca would be better as Alves plays more as a winger than defensive RB anywayz.

Midfield - Barca would probably be better as an attacking 4 - Xavi/Iniesta are a very strong partnership - this will be of one the key battles IF they meet in the CL Final.

Up Front - Villa + Messi v Rooney and Hernandez ? - Who ever wins the midfield battle will determine which of the forwards will get enough quality possession to create enough 'goalscoring' opportunities.

Lets see who qualifies for the final anyway before 'analysing' possible outcomes first eh ?

Think Rooney is good enough to get a game for, and improve, any team in the world, and you're probably right about Van der Sar, but, really, Manchester are huge underdogs if they and Barcelona both get through. Barca absolutely dismantled Arsenal in both legs and Manchester aren't significantly better than Arsenal (except that they can grind things out better, because they've got more bottle :agree:).

Tynie01011973
29-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Think Rooney is good enough to get a game for, and improve, any team in the world, and you're probably right about Van der Sar, but, really, Manchester are huge underdogs if they and Barcelona both get through. Barca absolutely dismantled Arsenal in both legs and Manchester aren't significantly better than Arsenal (except that they can grind things out better, because they've got more bottle :agree:).

I thought that most Arsenal fans were complaining that the sending off of RvP was OTT and that Arsenal were 'cheated' ?

Didnt Arsenal win the home leg ??? - IIRC the score was 2-1 and when Busquets scored an own goal in the Nou Camp Arsenal were 20 mins away from winning ?

I don't dispute that Barcelona will be favourites - 2009 Final shows they have a better 'head to head' recent record.

This will be the class of 2011 - whether Barcelona or Manchester United will be good enough to claim the top prize is something we will have to wait to see on 28 May 2011

:na na:

HibbyAndy
29-04-2011, 10:34 PM

Id disagree strongly.

Arsenal battered Barca 2nd half at the Emirates with Jack Wilshere simply outstanding..Barca were thoroughly deserved winners to go through over 2 legs But no way did they ' Dismantle ' Arsenal.

Tynie01011973
29-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Id disagree strongly.

Arsenal battered Barca 2nd half at the Emirates with Jack Wilshere simply outstanding..Barca were thoroughly deserved winners to go through over 2 legs But no way did they ' Dismantle ' Arsenal.

But if Messi had scored with ANY of the 3 early chances he had in the 1st half at The Emirates IT would have been all over without a doubt - but hey He never :wink:

HibbyAndy
29-04-2011, 10:46 PM
But if Messi had scored with ANY of the 3 early chances he had in the 1st half at The Emirates IT would have been all over without a doubt - but hey He never :wink:

He never and it wasnt.

Arsenal actually beat Barca that night..Not bad considering Barca are the best team on the planet by a country mile.

I hope Messi takes his chances against Man yoo tho, Like he did in the CL final when the beat Man u 2-0 in 2009 and it was so one sided, Same again will happen imo.

lapsedhibee
29-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Id disagree strongly.

Mibbe 'dismantled' is too strong for the first leg, though I'd argue that the 2-1 win was somewhat fortuitous. Arsenal's heads went down in the second leg though, such was the gulf. Manchester could get lucky in the final and sneak a win over 90 mins, but I would still expect the gulf to be as evident as it was against Arsenal.

Pete
29-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Id disagree strongly.

Arsenal rattled Barcelona in the second half...as they did when they came from two goals down in the previous tie between them.
Barcelona were listing and could have sunk but I reckon all the ball-chasing in the first half tired Arsenal out but they really should have smashed them when they were on top.

The second halves of these games shows that Barca are human and can be got at. For what its worth I don't think the semi is done and dusted yet because if Real score an early goal then who knows?

HibbyAndy
29-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Mibbe 'dismantled' is too strong for the first leg, though I'd argue that the 2-1 win was somewhat fortuitous. Arsenal's heads went down in the second leg though, such was the gulf. Manchester could get lucky in the final and sneak a win over 90 mins, but I would still expect the gulf to be as evident as it was against Arsenal.

Arsenal's heads never went down in the 2nd leg..RVP got a debatable red card and that was that..They lost 3-1 on the night 4-3 on AGG..No way did their heads go down...And to lose 4-3 over two legs on AGG is certainly not shameful, They got beaten by the best team on the planet.

I concur with the gulf in class against Man u tho..They will simply be to strong on the night.

lapsedhibee
29-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Arsenal's heads never went down in the 2nd leg..RVP got a debatable red card and that was that..

Was a soft red. Maybe Mourinho is right? After that point, though, Arsenal were chasing shadows and never looked liked salvaging the tie, imo. No shame in losing 4-3 on agg, certainly. Wouldn't have been any shame in getting humped much worsely than that either. Barcelona simply too good, fact endof.

Tynie01011973
29-04-2011, 11:22 PM
He never and it wasnt.

Arsenal actually beat Barca that night..Not bad considering Barca are the best team on the planet by a country mile.

I hope Messi takes his chances against Man yoo tho, Like he did in the CL final when the beat Man u 2-0 in 2009 and it was so one sided, Same again will happen imo.

Really - If you are gonna quote results do a bit of checking first - The result was ACTUALLY Barcelona 3 Manchester Utd 0.

And no it was not soo one-sided that you choose to believe.
In fact Man Utd created 3 good chances to score in the 1st 20-25 mins BEFORE Et'oo beat Vidic to score the 1st Barcelona goal.

Admittedly, once Barca got in front - then Man Utd struggled and Barca/Messi turned on the style to win the game.

Hey Ho - Win some Lose some

That was 2 years ago - IF both teams get to Wembley we will see what the outcome is then.

HibbyAndy
29-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Was a soft red. Maybe Mourinho is right? After that point, though, Arsenal were chasing shadows and never looked liked salvaging the tie, imo. No shame in losing 4-3 on agg, certainly. Wouldn't have been any shame in getting humped much worsely than that either. Barcelona simply too good, fact endof.

Agreed mate.

Im hoping they take car of RM in the Semi's and thrash Man u in the final.

HibbyAndy
29-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Really - If you are gonna quote results do a bit of checking first - The result was ACTUALLY Barcelona 3 Manchester Utd 0.

In fact Man Utd created 3 good chances to score in the 1st 20-25 mins BEFORE Et'oo beat Vidic to score the 1st Barcelona goal.

Admittedly, once Barca got in front - then Man Utd struggled and Barca/Messi turned on the style to win the game.

That was 2 years ago - IF both teams get to Wembley we will see what the outcome is then.

You have just made an erse of yourself for all to see. IT was 2-0 Barca.

Maybe you should do some research?

Tynie01011973
30-04-2011, 06:43 AM
You have just made an erse of yourself for all to see. IT was 2-0 Barca.Maybe you should do some research?

:blushie::blushie::blushie::blushie:

Think I need to lay off the bevvie when trying to 'quote results'.
In this case Andy you can say 2-0 is FACT :wink:

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

HH81
30-04-2011, 08:46 AM
:blushie::blushie::blushie::blushie:

Think I need to lay off the bevvie when trying to 'quote results'.
In this case Andy you can say 2-0 is FACT :wink:

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin
The glory hunting fc united fans don't half make themselves look stupid on this board. Personally I'd just make them all sit in a bath of vinegar for their stupidity.

Barney McGrew
30-04-2011, 08:58 AM

Other than getting the score wrong and saying Man Utd had 3 good chances in the first 20-25 mins before Barca scored when Eto'o netted in the 10th minute you're probably right.

Man Utd did struggle for the 80 mins after Barca got in front :wink: