PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan Leaves at the End of the Season

Pages : [1] 2

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I think we all guessed this would be the case but tonight is the first time I have heard the media say it is fact.

Real Radio is Pash but they said Deeks will defo be away.

Deek is our last player who can do something unusual or different, in future we will be be a solid no flair team as one after another of football players leave.

Love him or Hate him he is the last class act we have, even if it is only flashes of brilliance these days.

Scouse Hibee
25-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I think we all guessed this would be the case but tonight is the first time I have heard the media say it is fact.

Deek is our last player who can do something unusual or different, in future we will be be a solid no flair team as one after another of football players leave.

Love him or Hate him he is the last class act we have, even if it is only flashes of brilliance these days.

Until I see him do it again, I will say he used to be able to do it!

The_Todd
25-04-2011, 06:50 PM

Real Radio reported thay Yogi resigned months before he actually did resign. They have previous with made up stories.

Baldy Foghorn
25-04-2011, 06:54 PM

Exactly, I struggle to see what DR has contributed to the cause this calendar year.

3pm
25-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Derek has dipped but to be fair, he's probably demotivated playing in that team as well. Hope he makes himself a few quid wherever he ends up.

Borderhibbie76
25-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Derek has dipped but to be fair, he's probably demotivated playing in that team as well. Hope he makes himself a few quid wherever he ends up.

I/m de-motivated watching him for most of this season to be fair :rolleyes:It pains me to say it as nobody loved Deek in a hibs jersey more than myself, but this season he is a shadow of his former self. He should lead by example in this team but of late he has been one of the WORST performers and there is no hiding from that fact. He is most certainly not worthy of an improved contract in my opinion and if that's what he is after then it could well be bye bye Deeks...sad tho it will be

lucky
25-04-2011, 07:19 PM
If true, thanks for the goals and good luck, but he is not the player he was 12 months ago.

Beefster
25-04-2011, 07:22 PM
I was gutted when it was announced he was leaving for Celtic (although the timing and circumstances didn't help). I'll be indifferent if he leaves this summer.

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 07:26 PM

[/QUOTE] Exactly, I struggle to see what DR has contributed to the cause this calendar year. [/QUOTE]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/13183430.stm

Have a look at yesterdays "Highlights" Deek created our only 3 chances :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
25-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Exactly, I struggle to see what DR has contributed to the cause this calendar year. [/QUOTE]

Have a look at yesterdays "Highlights" Deek created our only 3 chances :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

No need for me to check highlights, I was there in person, and saw him huffing puffing and moaning, pity that he could not have blown the house down

scoopyboy
25-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Exactly, I struggle to see what DR has contributed to the cause this calendar year. [/QUOTE]

Have a look at yesterdays "Highlights" Deek created our only 3 chances :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I know exactly where you're coming from stb but if Deek leaves we will just have to get on with it.

I'm still not convinced he won't be with us next season and until he signs for someone else I will continue to feel that way.

BTW its not so long ago we used to talk about him taking chances every game and not creating three, a sign of the times.

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I hope your right Scoopy

I am one of Deeks biggest fans I do now accept he is not the player he was and may never be again.

He is still our ONLY quality player no matter how far he has faded from his Pomp.

When he leaves there is no one left you would pay to watch, we have been spoiled in the last few years with
Sauzee
Latapy
Sproule
Brown (to lesser extent)
Zemmama
Riordan

All could all do something others could not it will be the end of an era with no obvious succesor.

And before others say he no longer can do the unusual, who cares he was a joy to watch and we should be grateful we had him.

Baldy Foghorn
25-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I hope your right Scoopy

I am one of Deeks biggest fans I do now accept he is not the player he was and may never be again.

He is still our ONLY quality player no matter how far he has faded from his Pomp.

When he leaves there is no one left you would pay to watch, we have been spoiled in the last few years with
Sauzee
Latapy
Sproule
Brown (to lesser extent)
Zemmama
Riordan

All could all do something others could not it will be the end of an era with no obvious succesor.

And before others say he no longer can do the unusual, who cares he was a joy to watch and we should be grateful we had him.

That is right, he WAS a joy to watch, and every Hibs fan to a man will be grateful we had him in his first spell. Now he has turned into an average player, who no longer creates something out of nothing, has no pace, little confidence and his body language / attitude during games leaves a lot to be desired.....

hibsbollah
25-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I hope your right Scoopy

Sauzee
Latapy
Sproule
Brown (to lesser extent)
Zemmama
Riordan

Good post. The players you mention are the reasons i buy the ticket. Hopefully the summer will bring a few exciting signings in that vein.

SurferRosa
25-04-2011, 08:31 PM
While Dereks form this season has been poor, take out his goals and we would still be fighting it out with Hamilton to avoid relegation, so he has to my mind at least made a substantial contribution to the team in what has been a miserable season.
If the story is true then i would be disappointed to lose him.....

Sir David Gray
25-04-2011, 08:41 PM
I would rather he stayed and I would be quite content if I heard that he had signed a new deal but the way I feel right now, I wouldn't be upset if any of our players, who were on our books prior to January, left in the summer.

Derek Riordan has been a wonderful servant for Hibs, particularly during his first spell, but he has had a very poor season by his standards and when he's not scoring goals, he has been extremely quiet.

The primary reason for keeping Riordan has always been that the number of goals that he scores would be nearly impossible for a club like Hibs to replace. He's only scored 10 goals so far this season in 35 appearances and I would like to think that we would be able to attract a striker in the summer who could offer us that kind of goals/games ratio.

I was inconsolable five years ago when I heard that he had left to sign for Celtic. If he goes this summer, I would pretty neutral to be perfectly honest.

frazeHFC
25-04-2011, 08:48 PM
I do not believe he is good enough any more, but will be gutted to see him go again.

Leaving or not, at the Aberdeen game there should be a huge "he's one of our own" chant to show our appreciation.

Brooster
25-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I've heard he is considering a move to Russia.

proud_and_green
25-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Good post. The players you mention are the reasons i buy the ticket. Hopefully the summer will bring a few exciting signings in that vein.

I am half way with you on this, but what we have had is in the last couple of yeas is indviduals who can do brilliance on their own but we have not had a team that can collectively play good football, entertain and win altogether. The whole team playing well, playing creatively and winning games is what makes me renew ...actually its not because i have renewed!!!!

What can i say, i'm an optimist!!!!!

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 09:50 PM
I am half way with you on this, but what we have had is in the last couple of yeas is indviduals who can do brilliance on their own but we have not had a team that can collectively play good football, entertain and win altogether. The whole team playing well, playing creatively and winning games is what makes me renew ...actually its not because i have renewed!!!!

What can i say, i'm an optimist!!!!!

Hibs 6
Loser's 2

Now that was a TEAM performance :greengrin :top marks

RIP
25-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Derek at his best scores some great goals

However in 2011 if he had passed instead of shooting we could have scored half a dozen additional goals or more

Greedy bassa is OK when you are hitting the target but very frustrating for his team-mates if not

Jamesie
25-04-2011, 09:54 PM

If that's true and the money is on a par with what is usually on offer out there then he would have to be insane not to bite their hand off. This is his last chance.

Stantons Angel
25-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I can see what the "Deek Lovers" are saying, they are losing a hero?

Last Saturday I sat with 7,000 of my fellow faithful and watched Riordan nudged off the ball, beaten in the tackle, and ran rings around by who......

Van Zanten............. The same player that members of this board crucified on many an occasion as not being good enough to play for Hibs.

i dont think i need say any more, need I????? :rolleyes:

H113EE5
25-04-2011, 09:55 PM
http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/bye.gif

No loss

brydekirk
25-04-2011, 09:56 PM
:agree:
Exactly, I struggle to see what DR has contributed to the cause this calendar year.

brydekirk
25-04-2011, 09:58 PM
I can see what the "Deek Lovers" are saying, they are losing a hero?

Last Saturday I sat with 7,000 of my fellow faithful and watched Riordan nudged off the ball, beaten in the tackle, and ran rings around by who......

Van Zanten............. The same player that members of this board crucified on many an occasion as not being good enough to play for Hibs.

i dont think i need say any more, need I????? :rolleyes:

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I love it people saying things like

No loss
What does he bring
:bye:

etc etc

Look at Saturday he was MURDER by his standards and was the only Hibs player to create anything.

Lets just say to all those guys You will miss him when he is gone

Sergey
25-04-2011, 10:10 PM
I love it people saying things like

No loss
What does he bring

etc etc

Look at Saturday he was MURDER by his standards and was the only Hibs player to create anything.

Lets just say to all those guys You will miss him when he is gone

Want to put money on it?

He'll be lucky to find a club in the English Championship....and more likely League One.

Thanks for the memories and the goals.....but I forever recall his effort :faf:

c31
25-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Watch his ball through for our only goal. While he may not be hitting any heights he is still the only class act we have

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Want to put money on it?

He'll be lucky to find a club in the English Championship....and more likely League One.

I WILL put money on it :agree::agree: :agree:

Will You ? Thought not.

No way is Deeks about to slip in to Div One yet and any move away from Hibs will not be down in what it is worth to him.

Albion Hibs
25-04-2011, 10:14 PM

You personally spent much of this morning hammering our club captain Ian Murray, saying his legs have gone, he is not the player he was - how does Riordan do on this scale?

You also stressed the lack of pace point by using Derek Riordan as an example, i.e. he was the example of the lower end of the extreme pace scale, yet you seem to be writting an advert for him above - I am confused as to were you personally draw the line on players.

For what it is worth, frustratingly, I do half agree with you. My personal view is that this year Riordan has suffered from less freedom / had less impact without Murray playing behind him. I stressed that at the begining of the year - he must have been the hardest worked left back in the country last year, but he defends well, and at the same time Riordan to do what he does best, and as a result he had a big impact on last season.

I think it will come down to what options Riordan has next year, if other teams are there, offering more/the same money, I think he will probably leave.

Sergey
25-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I WILL put money on it :agree::agree: :agree:

Will You ? Thought not.

No way is Deeks about to slip in to Div One yet and any move away from Hibs will not be down in what it is worth to him.

Name your division he'll ply his trade in then.

I'll tell you if I want to wager a £100 bet once I see your selection.

I'm not shirking the bet.

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:20 PM
"You personally spent much of this morning hammering our club captain Ian Murray,"

Sorry Albion that is just wrong. Go back and read my posts again. I think I said more than once we all like IM and he always gives his all but he is no longer the player he was, I have said the same on this thread about Deek.

We will miss Deek far more than IM at this stage of their careers.

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Name your division he'll ply his trade in then.

I'll tell you if I want to wager a £100 bet once I see your selection.

I'm not shirking the bet.

Sorry neither am I but you are the one saying he will take a step down so really that is for you to say.

If you think he will be in English Div 1 consider the bet struck.

Albion Hibs
25-04-2011, 10:24 PM
"You personally spent much of this morning hammering our club captain Ian Murray,"

Sorry Albion that is just wrong. Go back and read my posts again. I think I said more than once we all like IM and he always gives his all but he is no longer the player he was, I have said the same on this thread about Deek.

We will miss Deek far more than IM at this stage of their careers.

Yeah....I thought that would be right about what you said, and for the record, you must be kidding. A guy that can play about 5 different positions, or Derek, who is going through a pretty indifferent period and is now regarded by some as a luxury.

But I did suspect that would be the level of your response.

Aubenas
25-04-2011, 10:24 PM
At his best, Deek was special and could score fantastic goals - but I'm struggling to remember the last time he actually did that. I'd say it's the special players who pull the fat out of the fire when times are tough - scoring out of nothing to demoralise opponents and lift their coolleagues. He doesn't do that now - in fact he seems to lead the depression.

Since January we have been watching a player who has no pace, never takes on a player, can't hold the ball, and no longer has quick feet. All his opponents know he jinks inside to shape up to shoot, so they stop him.

This is not an attack on Deeks; it's pointing out that CC is trying to build an effective team, and that's a team that needs strikers who can create out of nothing or poach in the box and also link up well with team mates. Deek doesn't qualify on any of these counts, and hasn't at any point this season.

It's about the team.

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Yeah....I thought that would be right about what you said, and for the record, you must be kidding. A guy that can play about 5 different positions, or Derek, who is going through a pretty indifferent period and is now regarded by some as a luxury.

But I did suspect that would be the level of your response.

Glad not to disappoint you. :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
25-04-2011, 10:28 PM
He can go and take the rest of them with him, and the Yams and the OF and every last one of them. Scottish football used to be a joke. It's now a joke I've heard so many times it's utterly boring.

Wouldn't shed any tears if they never kicked another football in Scotland again.

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:29 PM
At his best, Deek was special and could score fantastic goals - but I'm struggling to remember the last time he actually did that. I'd say it's the special players who pull the fat out of the fire when times are tough - scoring oput of nothing to demoralise opponents and lift their coolleagues. He doesn't do that now - in fact he seems to lead the depression.

Since January we have been watching a player who has no pace, never takes on a player, can't hold the ball, and no longer has quick feet. All his opponents know he jinks inside to shape up to shoot, so they stop him.

This is not an attack on Deeks; it's pointing out that CC is trying to build an effective team, and that's a team that needs strikers who can create out of nothing or poach in the box and also link up well with team mates. Deek doesn't qualify on any of these counts, and hasn't at any point this season.

It's about the team.

I hope your right and look forward to 3 or 4 new strikers as none of our current squad out side of Deeks have ever been able to do that at Anytime in their career.

Albion Hibs
25-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Glad not to disappoint you. :greengrin

Its okay, I was pretty sure you would not!!

Sergey
25-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Sorry neither am I but you are the one saying he will take a step down so really that is for you to say.

If you think he will be in English Div 1 consider the bet struck.

I asked you to tell me the league.

I watch English league football and DR wouldn't warm the bench in the Championship.

I'll happily raise the stakes if you want a punt.

He'll end up at Bristol Rovers or Walsall (or perm any other team that will pay a £2.5k per week wage)

PM me if you want to take the bet off-line. Hibs.net can hold the ante

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:34 PM

I watch English league football and DR wouldn't warm the bench in the Championship.

He'll end up at Bristol Rovers or Walsall (or perm any other team that will pay a £2.5k per week wage)

Consider the bet on PM on the way Deek will not be in the Div one next year.

BEEJ
25-04-2011, 10:37 PM

If he does end up in the MSL for a money-spinning end to his football career, how will you compare that in quality to English Division 1? :greengrin

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Want to put money on it?

Serg you are the one who mentioned Div One and were willing to put money on it :agree:

Aubenas
25-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Watching Goodwillie at the weekend, I remembered what Deeks used to be capable of!

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:44 PM
I am off to bed school in the morning :wink:

PM if you want the Div One bet

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:48 PM
If he does end up in the MSL for a money-spinning end to his football career, how will you compare that in quality to English Division 1? :greengrin

MLS has bigger crowds than SPL and Several Quality players of a far higher standard than the SPL. Having said that most of the players are Championship or High Div One quality MLS is murder to watch.

Dashing Bob S
25-04-2011, 10:51 PM
MLS has bigger crowds than SPL and Several Quality players of a far higher standard than the SPL. Having said that most of the players are Championship or High Div One quality MLS is murder to watch.

SPL vs MLS is awfulness? A tricky one. Both are utterly dire but in different ways.

zlatan
25-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Was told by a Murray Park employee he was soon to be a hun. Then the guy told me Bougherra was going to Arsenal and I realised he was just a mental bloke.

KWJ
26-04-2011, 12:42 AM
As has been said how he was was special. As he is, we can replace him with better.

flash
26-04-2011, 06:31 AM
While Dereks form this season has been poor, take out his goals and we would still be fighting it out with Hamilton to avoid relegation, so he has to my mind at least made a substantial contribution to the team in what has been a miserable season.

Why is this? Would we have played with ten men?

Barney McGrew
26-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Since January we have been watching a player who has no pace, never takes on a player, can't hold the ball, and no longer has quick feet. All his opponents know he jinks inside to shape up to shoot, so they stop him

I think it's also coincided with his move to his 'natural' position up front which people were rattling on about as an excuse for his poor form earlier in the season. There's no doubt Derek has unbelievable talent, but the jury is very much out on whether he can still use that to anywhere near what he used to.

As to not being able to replace him, he's now scored two goals in his last seventeen games. That's far from irreplacable.

Hibby Bairn
26-04-2011, 07:03 AM
The concern for me about losing DR is why our much vaunted 'youth system' hasn't 'produced' a striker in about 8 years. As a result we end up with guys like Nish, Sodje, Trakys and Duffy.

What are these youth coaches doing? Not good enough. You could say it is rife across all Scottish clubs.

mon the cabbage
26-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Really disappointed. Last season the three players I would like to stay at hibs was

Bamba
Deek
Zemmama

Their all away.:fuming:

mjhibby
26-04-2011, 07:47 AM
While deek has been a great servant to hibs for whatever reason he is a shadow of his former self with his pace gone and his lack of involvement at times that of a player who isnt the player he was.A lot of fans forget mowbray got frustrated with him and subbed him a few times.I think we all agree the deeks of 4/5 years ago we should move heaven and earth to keep him.Unfortunately the 2011 player is nowhere near as good as the old one.
Much as it pains me to say it sad though i willl be if he leaves im confident that the team wont suffer.Remember the summer is where calderwood will do his major surgery so lets see who he gets in first before saying how much will will miss deeks.If he does go he will go with my best wishes and as best scorer of great goals in derbies the exocet being one of my favourite hibs goals.

bighairyfaeleith
26-04-2011, 07:47 AM
I don't want him to go, but like with miller, I wouldn't give him any more money to stay.

We need a whole squad of good players and if that means we have to sacrifice riordan and miller then so be it.

I will miss the wee ned though:greengrin

Beefster
26-04-2011, 07:48 AM

We wouldn't play another striker who might score more?

Baldy Foghorn
26-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Exactly Beefster. For arguments sake DR has scored 10 this season. Sodje comes in on last day of January window and has already got 5 goals to his name. DR is not indispensible. He was a fantastic player for us, but he has had a poor season by all accounts.

IWasThere2016
26-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Exactly Beefster. For arguments sake DR has scored 10 this season. Sodje comes in on last day of January window and has already got 5 goals to his name. DR is not indispensible. He was a fantastic player for us, but he has had a poor season by all accounts.

Who hasn't

Baldy Foghorn
26-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Who hasn't

That is not the issue being discussed though TQM...... (Booth and Hanlon)

Beefster
26-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Who hasn't

If that's the best defence for Riordan then there isn't really a defence, is there? He's one of the best paid players and is supposed to be the best player we have.

I've never seen anyone post "Aye, Nish and Rankin are mince but then so is everyone at the club".

Craig_in_Prague
26-04-2011, 08:16 AM
I find it a little dissapointing that so many on here won't really care a jot if DR leaves. I can understand to a certain extent given his form for most of this season, but why can't we all hope he signs, CC get's in better players throughout the team and why can't he score more next season.

Maybe I'm too soft and like the wee man too much; but I honestly don't think we should be so keen to get shot of him. I think CC likes him a lot, so there's a decent chance he'll want him in the side next season, and part of a better side.

Something is up with him that's for sure, but I still hope there's more happy times to come for Deek in a Hibs top. I for one certainly won't write him off.

smurf
26-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Poor season by his standards.

However, the key question is this...

'Has he been playing in a very poor and uncreative side this season?'

Of course he has.

Therefore 'Would he have scored more goals in a Yam/Dundee utd/Killie/Motherwell side this year?'

I believe he would have. No question.

Folk believing Derek is part of the problem rather than the solution are IMHO very much wide off the mark.

Arch Stanton
26-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Is this just Real Radio's opinion that they think he will leave or have they been told that Riordan has decided to leave? If it is the latter then he is pretty daft making it public.

If Hibs were still in the picture then he would have a much better negotiating position with any club interested in him. And if CC knows for sure he is leaving then he is hardly likely to play him again - thus taking him out of the shop window for scouts to see him (although that maybe isn't the worst thing :agree:).

Baldy Foghorn
26-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Too many romantics on here being swayed by his glorious first spell. DR is not that same player anymore......

Broken Gnome
26-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Folk believing Derek is part of the problem rather than the solution are IMHO very much wide off the mark.

Unfortunately, if we're talking about the total lack of pace in the side, he is very much part of the problem.

California-Hibs
26-04-2011, 08:34 AM
I find it a little dissapointing that so many on here won't really care a jot if DR leaves. I can understand to a certain extent given his form for most of this season, but why can't we all hope he signs, CC get's in better players throughout the team and why can't he score more next season.

Maybe I'm too soft and like the wee man too much; but I honestly don't think we should be so keen to get shot of him. I think CC likes him a lot, so there's a decent chance he'll want him in the side next season, and part of a better side.

Something is up with him that's for sure, but I still hope there's more happy times to come for Deek in a Hibs top. I for one certainly won't write him off.

Agreed :agree:

smurf
26-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Too many romantics on here being swayed by his glorious first spell. DR is not that same player anymore......

Keep saying it enough you might believe it.

If you watch Derek properly you will see a player that has a footballing brain surrounded by in the main by others without heart let alone brain to play off him and to his strengths.

smurf
26-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Unfortunately, if we're talking about the total lack of pace in the side, he is very much part of the problem.

So you wouldn't take Kris Boyd then?

Diclonius
26-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Can someone tell me if this has been confirmed or not, or if there's been any developments? I really can't be arsed sifting through all the "Deek's gud", "Naw he isnae" posts. :rolleyes:

Broken Gnome
26-04-2011, 08:47 AM
So you wouldn't take Kris Boyd then?

Completely different argument and you know it - how many times does Riordan actually touch the ball in the box these days? He's a lot deeper where the play is more congested, meaning he doesn't really have the space to do what he is good at. His through ball on Sunday came after a St. Mirren mistake for instance. Compare that to the time Sodje put him through and any one of four defenders could easily have done him for pace.

It's not a clear case of he's past it, he can go. In his current role, he has nowhere the sharpness to work consistently well in areas where he's always liable to be closed down. Every touch is on the stretch, and he's rarely able to make a yard on an opponent. Adapt his role and put quicker players around him, then he might well revel in that. Currently, he's utterly stagnant in that side and probably detrimental to the team as a whole.

matty_f
26-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Watch his ball through for our only goal. While he may not be hitting any heights he is still the only class act we have

It was just a ball over the top, you see passes like that all over the country!

hibs0666
26-04-2011, 08:51 AM

If you watch Derek properly you will see a player that has a footballing brain surrounded by in the main by others without heart let alone brain to play off him and to his strengths.

At what point does Riordan become so pish that he does not deserve a game?

It's hard to see how a player of his natural ability can contribute even less than he is at the moment - he's had more bookings (3) than goals scored (2) in the last 17 games.

Shrekko
26-04-2011, 08:54 AM

I've been a big fan of DR through the years, but my toes are curling reading some of your posts.

J-C
26-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Deek's this season is a poor reflection of the player he once was, he's a lot older now and unfortunately his years of drinking etc has caught up with him and he now lacks pace, strength, dignity and patience. Yes the team around has been gash but when we had that mini spell of results Deek wasn't at the forefront of these same results, we were talking about Palsson, Sodje, Towell, Booth etc these were the guys who rolled up their sleeves and got the results.

Deek left us before without a care for his beloved Hibs and the fans who cried his name, he went for money. If he goes again it'll be for the same reason, he wants more cash as loyalty is a thing of the past and doesn't exist in football nowadays.

NOLA
26-04-2011, 09:34 AM
if he leaves we will miss him of course, part of his problem seems to be where to play him on the pitch? up top? on the left? in the hole? do we accomadte him into a system or find a system to suit him, cc wont choose the latter option and nor should he, its the Hibs Show not the Derek Riordan Show.

Baldy Foghorn
26-04-2011, 09:35 AM

I watch DR closely enough to know his heart is not in it anymore. Too busy gesticulating to all and sundry and blaming others around him......If he has so many strengths as you say, why does he not take the games by the scruff of the neck then??

Baldy Foghorn
26-04-2011, 09:36 AM
if he leaves we will miss him of course, part of his problem seems to be where to play him on the pitch? up top? on the left? in the hole? do we accomadte him into a system or find a system to suit him, cc wont choose the latter option and nor should he, its the Hibs Show not the Derek Riordan Show.

Good post, The Hibs show for me..........:cgwa

Baldy Foghorn
26-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Deek's this season is a poor reflection of the player he once was, he's a lot older now and unfortunately his years of drinking etc has caught up with him and he now lacks pace, strength, dignity and patience. Yes the team around has been gash but when we had that mini spell of results Deek wasn't at the forefront of these same results, we were talking about Palsson, Sodje, Towell, Booth etc these were the guys who rolled up their sleeves and got the results.

Deek left us before without a care for his beloved Hibs and the fans who cried his name, he went for money. If he goes again it'll be for the same reason, he wants more cash as loyalty is a thing of the past and doesn't exist in football nowadays.

Too many people forget about the unglorified ending to his first spell. I always maintained when he returned that he would never be as prolific as he was in his first spell.... Sadly proven right.....

millarco
26-04-2011, 09:38 AM

He has a footballing brain but doesn't have the physical attributes to do what he wants to. In his first spell he was sharp enough to drift past defenders, but he can't do that now. No pace, no trickery, no strength, no power. He is a very limited player, and not one worth building a team around IMO.

Baldy Foghorn
26-04-2011, 09:41 AM
He has a footballing brain but doesn't have the physical attributes to do what he wants to. In his first spell he was sharp enough to drift past defenders, but he can't do that now. No pace, no trickery, no strength, no power. He is a very limited player, and not one worth building a team around IMO.

silverhibee
26-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Yes wee would have played another striker, take your pick from Nish, Duffy, Trakys or the young lad Byrne, as they were the strikers available to CC through the season.

Stevie Reid
26-04-2011, 09:44 AM
At his best, Deek was special and could score fantastic goals - but I'm struggling to remember the last time he actually did that. I'd say it's the special players who pull the fat out of the fire when times are tough - scoring out of nothing to demoralise opponents and lift their coolleagues. He doesn't do that now - in fact he seems to lead the depression.

It's about the team.

This is the key point for me - quite simply Deek is predictable and, like much of our team for most of the season, seems easy to play against these days. He had one nice bit of skill at the weekend when he received a crossfield pass on the East Stand side in the first half, knocking the ball first time around his opponent (Van Zanten I think), only to lose out in the chase for the ball. Any time he makes a yard for a shot, he seems unable to get the shot away before being closed down.

There is no doubt that he has been an outstanding performer for us, but I won't be disappointed if he goes. The last two results have shown that we are miles away from being a good team, and though I am still far from convinced by CC, he has an ideal opportunity to build more of his own team than any Hibs manager since McLeish - should he decide to let DR go, so be it.

matty_f
26-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Who hasn't

So we should just keep everyone then? :dunno:

supersauzee
26-04-2011, 10:31 AM
thank god and good riddance if he is defo away! the guy is a muppet and only causes problems for himself and the team. If he were to sign he would be a huge waste of wages that could be spent on younger blood!

Hiber-nation
26-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Yep spot on. I would be very unhappy if he stayed with us. He's not even striking the ball properly now - when he came back unfit from celtc he was still managing to do that but its all gone.

However lets not forget that if you were to put together a DVD of any forward's great goals over the years, Riordan's would be up there with anyone for sheer quality. But its too late now, he's never going to get it back.

Woody1985
26-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Yes wee would have played another striker, take your pick from Nish, Duffy, Trakys or the young lad Byrne, as they were the strikers available to CC through the season.

I'd hazard a guess and say that he's the top earner at the club so we could have signed another striker with those wages if he'd left.

They may or may not have been as good but you can't say we'd have been stuck with what we had.

You probably have a better idea than most what he's thinking but I don't think I'd be too concerned either way if it means we put the wages to good use elsewhere.

Golden Bear
26-04-2011, 11:43 AM
He's a star of yesterday and a move at the end of the season will benefit both the Club and the player.

Franck is God
26-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I personally was against us resigning both Derek Riordan and Ian Murray simpy because of the way they both left. They both claimed to love the club and were fans yet refused to sign extended deals because they both knew that no club would pay a transfer fee for either of them and they'd be stuck at ER. In fact I'm pretty sure that Hibs are the only club that has paid a fee for either as I think the figure Sellick came up with for Deek just covered the compensation for him being a youth player at ER.

If both were to leave this summer (and I hope they do) then we can use their wages to sign a couple of players that might actually make a difference to the team.

Both were excellent players for Hibs in their first spell, they are not anymore and if you want the team you support to be a success then there is no room for sentiment ever.

Sammy7nil
26-04-2011, 11:54 AM
"Deek left us before without a care for his beloved Hibs and the fans who cried his name, he went for money. If he goes again it'll be for the same reason, he wants more cash as loyalty is a thing of the past and doesn't exist in football nowadays."

It works both ways Hibs ditch players they dont want, even if they are supporters of the club :wink:.

Did you read Adams comments the other day he said it was EASY to discard players he had no problems telling players to go.

The worry is our future standard of strikers could be Donaldson, Curier, Sodje, Nish, Duffy, Galbraith I know they wont all be there next year but make No mistake we will be signing NO quality strikers.

HFC 0-7
26-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Rubbish! I still think Riordan can do a job but his goals are definately not the difference between us being in a relegation fight or not. He has scored 10 goals this season, 5 were in 5 games we lost, 2 in 2 games we drew and 2 in a game we one. So his goals have given us 5 points, which taking these out would still leave us 12 points ahead.

In previous season he scored important goals for us, this hasnt happened this season and to be honest he hasnt looked like scoring. This season he has missed important chances for us that would have seen us gain points.

He had talent in abundance which meant his child like tantrums and periods of laziness could be accepted because of his moments of magic. He has lost some pace and what looks like some talent but his work rate and attitude seems to have remained the same. Unless he changes his attitude and works for the whole game I think Calderwood will let him leave.

ScottB
26-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Honestly I think we'll be a better unit without him. Sure, he has been a top, top talent, but he's squandered it for whatever reason.

He is no longer the player he was, memories are no reason to blow what would no doubt be a significant wedge of our wage budget on him.

Ask yourself this, if we'd signed a guy in January who'd played exactly like Deeks from then till now, would you offer him a deal? I certainly wouldn't.

erin go bragh
26-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Too many people forget about the unglorified ending to his first spell. I always maintained when he returned that he would never be as prolific as he was in his first spell.... Sadly proven right.....
Did he not score 15 or 16 goals last season ? from left midfield.
Yes he has had a poor season this season but he is still our top goal scorer.
ggtth

Barney McGrew
26-04-2011, 12:46 PM
The worry is our future standard of strikers could be Donaldson, Curier, Sodje, Nish, Duffy, Galbraith I know they wont all be there next year but make No mistake we will be signing NO quality strikers.

How can you possibly justify that statement?

dangermouse
26-04-2011, 01:20 PM
For those happy to see Deek go at the end of the season, be careful what you wish for.

sahib
26-04-2011, 01:32 PM

Same thought was running through my head while watching the last two games.

Hibs_SW
26-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Sick of the same threads about riordan truthfully, he isn't the only striker in the world! There is other people out there that will do a great job at hibs and be happy to be with us other than riordan huffing and puffing everytime someone doesn't do what he wants. I like how everyone keeps giving it the what he HAS done for us well that's the past! We need a decent striker for the future!

I'm sure time will tell and we will find out in the summer what's going on!

Paisley Hibby
26-04-2011, 01:41 PM
For those happy to see Deek go at the end of the season, be careful what you wish for.

I agree with you!:agree:

Mon Dieu4
26-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Only Hibs fans could want rid of a player who has scored over 100 goals for us after a season of indifference, if we were to clear out everyone who under performed this season the Booth would be a one man team next year

I really dispair :rolleyes: Deek is the last true talent we have:not worth

J-C
26-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Sick of the same threads about riordan truthfully, he isn't the only striker in the world! There is other people out there that will do a great job at hibs and be happy to be with us other than riordan huffing and puffing everytime someone doesn't do what he wants. I like how everyone keeps giving it the what he HAS done for us well that's the past! We need a decent striker for the future!

I'm sure time will tell and we will find out in the summer what's going on!

Therein is the answer, look at players like Rooney(Adam), Sutton, Goodwillie.......and more, they are playing well, scoring goals and add a hellova lot more than Deek does right now. We can't afford to have passengers any more, no matter how talented the player is, we need a team of winners and grafters, willing to put their all in for the team.

Beefster
26-04-2011, 02:36 PM

Yet again, you've jumped on something I say about Riordan because you've spectacularly missed my point. The argument about us being in a relegation battle without his goals assumes that we play with 10 men and no-one scores in his place. It's nonsense.

I wasn't making comment about the other strikers available before January.

MrSmith
26-04-2011, 02:41 PM

He really needs to prove it then!

I was at the Hamilton game, where he should have ran rings round this type of untalented team/players but he didn't! He took the ball ran inside - every time - and looked more a like a one trick pony to me!

Sorry but his talent is on the wane and his effort has done a runner!

All the best Deeks, wasn't happy when you came back but supported you anyway!

As only Hibs fans do...

allezsauzee
26-04-2011, 08:46 PM
There can't be many clubs where their supporters are hoping that their top scorer leaves at the end of the season! obviously the assumption is that he'll be replaced by somebody better...just as the likes of Fletcher, Stokes, Brown, Thomson, Sproule, Whittaker, Murphy were!

truehibernian
26-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I think the whole dynamic of our frontline needs to change, and it has to include some width, pace and penalty box striking.

Derek's form this season has been poor overall but what has annoyed me more is his attitude during games. He has always had a moan or two, in the past it was forgiveable due to him being perhaps one step ahead of those around him and borne out of frustration. This season however he has been terrible and seems to continually blame others when it really is his game and his form he should be looking at. I wish he had put as much effort into his game on Sunday as he did when walking off the park having a right good go at Mark Brown. The clincher for me on Sunday was when Sodje played a beautifully weighted pass through to Derek (second half) and Derek yet again didn't have 1) faith in his pace and/or 2) no pace to burn, allowing Saint Mirren to get back easily and track his poor run.

That said, if we sign players that do offer width and pace, Derek is still a very useful asset through the middle and allowing him to peel off players . I would stress though, it would have to be on Hibernian's terms not Derek's. His form, for me, does not justify breaking the bank or even improving on his current contract. His attitude during games and his way of "talking" to his teammates certainly needs to improve. A couple of really commanding and no nonsense players in the side may result in that aspect of his game improving too IMHO. No one seems to give Derek a right good rollicking when it's deserved.......I think his game is better when he is actually having to prove himself to his teammates than himself if that makes sense. Playing with a touch of anger in him, not frustration. Get pace in the side and someone who can take men on, drag defenders apart, and Derek could thrive played in a more central role. But next season, if re-signed, he should not be regarded as automatic first pick week in week out unless form dictates that. That is why we need at least three more front players/strikers.

moredun
26-04-2011, 10:07 PM

17 goals for left midfiled last season tells me he at least brought it back with him, and that was even coming back in to a team after basically warming the bench for 2 years.
And suddenly it has all gone!?
There is a multitude of reasons why things haven't went too well for him this season.
I for one think he is capable of much better with the new regime in a new season with new players.
It's not gaurenteed, but imo a no brainer

moredun
26-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Therein is the answer, look at players like Rooney(Adam), Sutton, Goodwillie.......and more, they are playing well, scoring goals and add a hellova lot more than Deek does right now. We can't afford to have passengers any more, no matter how talented the player is, we need a team of winners and grafters, willing to put their all in for the team.

13 goals in the league this season, 8 of them were penalties
So he has scored 5 goals fom play, half of what Deeks has, and rooney hasn't scored for 3 months.

HibeeSince85
26-04-2011, 10:36 PM
So i've not seen anything about this anywhere bar what's been quoted as coming from Real Radio, is this true or just them just talking bollocks?

Thomson
26-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Has there been any "Confirmation", or just the fact that "Real Radio" announced it?

I always liked deeks but i agree with both sides of the argument. He was a class act, and will always be in our minds as a true hibby, but i also agree with the other side, in that he has not gotten any better, or even retained the same form as the man/boy we used to love. I think bygones should be bygones and we can open a new chapter in our history books. If he goes, then good luck to him and wish him all the success, and if he doesn't, then i hope he can bring some of his form back to silence the doubters. :cheers:

YetholmHibee
26-04-2011, 10:50 PM

No need for me to check highlights, I was there in person, and saw him huffing puffing and moaning, pity that he could not have blown the house down[/QUOTE]

I saw the same game & I never saw him (in the last 2 years +) take on a defender for pace - he has none!

The boy has vision, granted.

Hard work will always beat skill!

Judas Iscariot
26-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I think Derek has been playing with a injury for a while, a fair few months actually!

Not that many on here would have thought of that or the fact he's scored about 30 goals in his last two seasons and almost a 100 SPL goals to boot!

That's irrelevant!

Ship out the Deeks & Zoumas and more of the Sodje's & the like will have the crowds flooding back to ER!

Watch this space :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
27-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Quite honestly, I think all of our strikers are pish. None of them have any pace whatsoever.

scoopyboy
27-04-2011, 05:51 AM
I want Deek to stay in the hope he can recapture at least some of his previous.

However there are far too many on here that simply answer any critisism by saying look what he has done in the past.

I can visualise punters saying when Deek is 40 give him a new deal cos he was sensational 20 years ago.

His past has been brilliant (and I include most of his return in that statement) but the big question is what can he achieve going forward.

That is what CC has to decide. I think he knows what he wants to do with all of his out of contract players except Deek.

hibiedude
27-04-2011, 06:26 AM
We all have opinions regarding R01rdan- I for one hope come the start of the new season he is still at the club with players who are fully committed to the club and not the wasters we have at the moment.

R01rdan has the ability to do something’s other players can only dream about but having said that his form has been shocking this season and he seems to have lost the motivation and that clearly shows on the field.

He’s still a young guy and could easily still make it at a bigger club than Hibs in my opinion

Barney McGrew
27-04-2011, 06:57 AM
He’s still a young guy and could easily still make it at a bigger club than Hibs in my opinion

He's 28 and at that age, a footballer should be in his prime. Instead, he's got people on here defending him using the premise that he used to be good.

I don't think anyone would want to lose the Derek Riordan of old from the squad, but the sad fact is that on current form he's not worth keeping.

nonshinyfinish
27-04-2011, 07:48 AM

While I think we can do better than this season's version of Deek, your statement is both deeply depressing and false.

millarco
27-04-2011, 07:53 AM
While I think we can do better than this season's version of Deek, your statement is both deeply depressing and false.

Hard work will beat talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Golden Bear
27-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Riordans body language and performances this season suggest to me that HE is quite happy to let his contract run down.

He's just not worth a new contract and he, as the player, must take full responsibility for that.

hibiedude
27-04-2011, 08:15 AM
He's 28 and at that age, a footballer should be in his prime. Instead, he's got people on here defending him using the premise that he used to be good.

I don't think anyone would want to lose the Derek Riordan of old from the squad, but the sad fact is that on current form he's not worth keeping.

On current form I would agree he's not worth keeping but for some to say he's finished is just plain daft.

28 years old would give him about another 3-4 years in the game if he looks after himself.

I'll defend players that have something special from your average player and R01rdan comes under the bracket.

Judas Iscariot
27-04-2011, 08:38 AM

That's why Gary McKay has more winners medals than Lionel Messi...

:fibber:

.Sean.
27-04-2011, 08:47 AM
I'd quite like Riordan to stay, but only with an improvement in both attitude and workrate, both of which quite frankly reek of unprofessionalism.

Dalianwanda
27-04-2011, 09:02 AM
OK Im in the boat that as much as admire what he has done, he hasn't done it for a while. I would be indifferent about him leaving (something I would never have said a few months ago.) So for Derek to stay what do we need to get him firing again (if we can?)..
*New energy & attitude in the rest of the team?
*Better players around him?
*Change of management style?
*New position?
I think most of these have been mentioned, I'm not sure if any would work for certain.

What I do know is its really down to Deeks to make a few changes. In his body language and style around the pitch (Im sure the younger guys admire him but how much longer would that go on if he stays in the mood hes in) also its cant help him to be as sharp as he could be moping & moaning, if your not in a good frame of mind you cant perform to your best..The graft he puts in in training, is he fit? I know he was always hailed as the guy who had to be dragged off the training field, is that still the case? At 28 should he have slowed down as much as he has. In his commitment to the team, does he really want to be here? It doesnt seem that way even if he does. I would imagine one of these hits the mark in his dip in form and all of them revolve around him, not his surroundings.

Bobby's Cinema
27-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Put simply, there is so little quality in that team and almost zero cutting edge. As disappointing as he's been recently, I would be very concerned at the thought of another season similar to this one, without Derek lining up next season

JimBHibees
27-04-2011, 09:10 AM
OK Im in the boat that as much as admire what he has done, he hasn't done it for a while. I would be indifferent about him leaving (something I would never have said a few months ago.) So for Derek to stay what do we need to get him firing again (if we can?)..
*New energy & attitude in the rest of the team?
*Better players around him?
*Change of management style?
*New position?
I think most of these have been mentioned, I'm not sure if any would work for certain.

What I do know is its really down to Deeks to make a few changes. In his body language and style around the pitch (Im sure the younger guys admire him but how much longer would that go on if he stays in the mood hes in) also its cant help him to be as sharp as he could be moping & moaning, if your not in a good frame of mind you cant perform to your best..The graft he puts in in training, is he fit? I know he was always hailed as the guy who had to be dragged off the training field, is that still the case? At 28 should he have slowed down as much as he has. In his commitment to the team, does he really want to be here? It doesnt seem that way even if he does. I would imagine one of these hits the mark in his dip in form and all of them revolve around him, not his surroundings.

I would imagine that is the case when shooting or free kicks are being practised maybe not when hard running is involved.

Golden Bear
27-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Put simply, there is so little quality in that team and almost zero cutting edge. As disappointing as he's been recently, I would be very concerned at the thought of another season similar to this one, without Derek lining up next season

The blessed one has been very much part of the problem and I doubt if he'll provide the solution in the years to come.

McD
27-04-2011, 09:53 AM
On current form I would agree he's not worth keeping but for some to say he's finished is just plain daft.

28 years old would give him about another 3-4 years in the game if he looks after himself.

I'll defend players that have something special from your average player and R01rdan comes under the bracket.

I agree with you about defending players with something special, but the above in bold has been getting said about Riordan for years - if he takes care of himself, if knuckles down he'll be a star, if he stops all the boozing etc etc.

Only he is responsible for not doing that, and after 10 years or so as a first team pro (in and around the squad anyway), if he hasn't realised he needs to take care of himself and put the effort in by now, then he pretty much deserves to be in this situation where many fans wouldn't be fussed to see him leave.

He could have been a star in a much higher profile league than this, if he'd used the ability he has as a platform to push on and improve, where we as fans would have looked on and proudly said he came from us, we set him on the way etc. Now, I think he's already joined the long list of scottish/british players who, no matter what success they've had (100 goals etc), who didn't get the most out of their careers.

degenerated
27-04-2011, 10:12 AM
and rooney hasn't scored for 3 months.

I think you'll find he has.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I think you'll find he has.

:agree: He scored a cracker last night against Schalke....

:greengrin

rubber mal
27-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Can he really be 'finished' at 28? Surely with a bit of man-management/training/confidence he should have at least another five years left at this level...

hibiedude
27-04-2011, 03:08 PM
I agree with you about defending players with something special, but the above in bold has been getting said about Riordan for years - if he takes care of himself, if knuckles down he'll be a star, if he stops all the boozing etc etc.

Only he is responsible for not doing that, and after 10 years or so as a first team pro (in and around the squad anyway), if he hasn't realised he needs to take care of himself and put the effort in by now, then he pretty much deserves to be in this situation where many fans wouldn't be fussed to see him leave.

He could have been a star in a much higher profile league than this, if he'd used the ability he has as a platform to push on and improve, where we as fans would have looked on and proudly said he came from us, we set him on the way etc. Now, I think he's already joined the long list of scottish/british players who, no matter what success they've had (100 goals etc), who didn't get the most out of their careers.

I agree with your reply

My point is that R01rdan isn't finished as many would have us think- seeing Derek play in the lower leagues in Scotland next season is never going to happen

The_Horde
27-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I agree with your reply

My point is that R01rdan isn't finished as many would have us think- seeing Derek play in the lower leagues in Scotland next season is never going to happen

Exactly, the man scored for fun last season. Has anybody taken into consideration the fact that we, as a team, have been completely gash all season. Our league position shows this.

I can't remember hibs having a midfield that are so slow, totally lacking in confidence, arrogance, creativity and flair in my time. Riordan has only ever really played in teams where he has had some pretty good service from the midfield and this lot certainly are not capable of providing that.

You don't go from nearly hitting a 20 goal season to being 'finished' in the space of a pre season.

SurferRosa
27-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Rubbish! I still think Riordan can do a job but his goals are definately not the difference between us being in a relegation fight or not. He has scored 10 goals this season, 5 were in 5 games we lost, 2 in 2 games we drew and 2 in a game we one. So his goals have given us 5 points, which taking these out would still leave us 12 points ahead.

In previous season he scored important goals for us, this hasnt happened this season and to be honest he hasnt looked like scoring. This season he has missed important chances for us that would have seen us gain points.

He had talent in abundance which meant his child like tantrums and periods of laziness could be accepted because of his moments of magic. He has lost some pace and what looks like some talent but his work rate and attitude seems to have remained the same. Unless he changes his attitude and works for the whole game I think Calderwood will let him leave.

I stand corrected mate, yer absolutely right. I probably should have thought that one through properly...... I`d still be disappointed tae lose him aw the same..

moredun
27-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Have a look at yesterdays "Highlights" Deek created our only 3 chances :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No need for me to check highlights, I was there in person, and saw him huffing puffing and moaning, pity that he could not have blown the house down[/QUOTE]

I saw the same game & I never saw him (in the last 2 years +) take on a defender for pace - he has none!

The boy has vision, granted.

Hard work will always beat skill![/QUOTE]

Hmmm, who would you take if you have to have only 1 of each of the 2?

Liam Miller or John Rankin?
Deeks or Colin Nish?

Beefster
27-04-2011, 04:47 PM
;2788643']Exactly, the man scored for fun last season. Has anybody taken into consideration the fact that we, as a team, have been completely gash all season. Our league position shows this.

I can't remember hibs having a midfield that are so slow, totally lacking in confidence, arrogance, creativity and flair in my time. Riordan has only ever really played in teams where he has had some pretty good service from the midfield and this lot certainly are not capable of providing that.

You don't go from nearly hitting a 20 goal season to being 'finished' in the space of a pre season.

He's had more shots at goal this season than any other player in the SPL apparently. That would suggest that service most definitely isn't the problem.

Hibiza
27-04-2011, 04:48 PM
bye.:flag::flag::flag:

crash
27-04-2011, 05:04 PM
He's had more shots at goal this season than any other player in the SPL apparently. That would suggest that service most definitely isn't the problem.

Take it you dont get a chance to watch Hibs playing, or you would have seen for yourself that we have nobody who can provide decent service.

ancient hibee
27-04-2011, 06:32 PM
The decent passes leading to goals seem to come from Riordan but he doesn't get too many as good as the ones he makes.

scoopyboy
27-04-2011, 06:42 PM
The decent passes leading to goals seem to come from Riordan but he doesn't get too many as good as the ones he makes.

Is that including the last derby?

Beefster
27-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Take it you dont get a chance to watch Hibs playing, or you would have seen for yourself that we have nobody who can provide decent service.

I've got an ST.

How do you explain the fact that he's had more shots on goal than anyone else? I don't recall him running back to take the ball from the keeper before going on a mazy run up the pitch so someone must be making the pass to him.

While we're on the topic of what we see at games - you've seen him play this season, right?

WindyMiller
27-04-2011, 07:47 PM

That's why Gary McKay has more winners medals than Lionel Messi...

:fibber:

Or Des Bremner more than Alex Cropley?

Aldo
27-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I think we have to see it like this.....and it pains me to say it......
I can see deek going cos let's face it he has not shown
Much interest this season. Yes the guy is a legend but more
Often than not it's like havin a man short. Yes for most of the season he has
Been playing in a pretty gash team but regardless he should be
Doing his bit for the TEAM. This IMHO does not happen.
For me there are players out there who would bring more
To the team and for me a bit more balanced.

Cheers for the memories deek (again)

new malkyhib
27-04-2011, 08:00 PM
I think we have to see it like this.....and it pains me to say it......
I can see deek going cos let's face it he has not shown
Much interest this season. Yes the guy is a legend but more
Often than not it's like havin a man short. Yes for most of the season he has
Been playing in a pretty gash team but regardless he should be
Doing his bit for the TEAM. This IMHO does not happen.
For me there are players out there who would bring more
To the team and for me a bit more balanced.

Cheers for the memories deek (again)

I wouldn't write his epitaph just yet...FWIW I think Riordan has been poor this season and the Riordan of 3 years ago would've buried at least one of these chances he had against Hearts.

I think a really good pre-seasonof hard work and nae bevvying along with an ultilmatum from the manager (of whom he himself speaks highly of) would do the trick, along with the signing of some decent quality for him to play alongside.

But when you hear we're looking at players from Lincoln and Crewe, then another "transitional" season beckons for the Hibs. There's no winners at the club, no winning mentality and mediocrity is the accepted norm from boardroom down the way.

When you think of the players he's played alongside would it excite you playing in that current side?

JE89
27-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Only Hibs fans could want rid of a player who has scored over 100 goals for us after a season of indifference, if we were to clear out everyone who under performed this season the Booth would be a one man team next year

Agree with your post but the last sentence is unfair on a few other players. Hope Deek stays though. Will be truely missed if he goes.

new malkyhib
27-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Honestly I think we'll be a better unit without him. Sure, he has been a top, top talent, but he's squandered it for whatever reason.

He is no longer the player he was, memories are no reason to blow what would no doubt be a significant wedge of our wage budget on him.

Ask yourself this, if we'd signed a guy in January who'd played exactly like Deeks from then till now, would you offer him a deal? I certainly wouldn't.

We signed Duffy and Trakys to "replace" Stokes - two wages squandered on two diddies who've not scored a goal between them - but then our Board are to be commended for not blowing our wage budget on "risky" signings are they?

Alfred E Newman
27-04-2011, 08:17 PM

Correct. Those on here who think that hounding out Riordan and replacing him with another "workhorse" is going to suddenly turn our team into worldbeaters are in for a big disappointment.

scoopyboy
27-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Correct. Those on here who think that hounding out Riordan and replacing him with another "workhorse" is going to suddenly turn our team into worldbeaters are in for a big disappointment.

Interesting logic.

So by resigning Deek are we going to suddenly turn into worldbeaters?

eastmainsmsh
27-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Time and time again ...deek is a brilliant talent when on form hope we keep him his goals from left are required even if he has been poor by his standards its been a ***** season for us but next year is a new start and if he stays i feel we will reap the rewards ....Personally think celtic was a bad choice and set his career back

brydekirk
27-04-2011, 10:23 PM
[/B]

We signed Duffy and Trakys to "replace" Stokes - two wages squandered on two diddies who've not scored a goal between them - but then our Board are to be commended for not blowing our wage budget on "risky" signings are they?

hibsbollah
28-04-2011, 08:22 AM
:[/QUOTE]

This attitude encapsulates everything thats wrong with the game. I'm just glad you're wrong as anyone watching Lionel last night can testify.

Steve20
28-04-2011, 08:29 AM
:

This attitude encapsulates everything thats wrong with the game. I'm just glad you're wrong as anyone watching Lionel last night can testify.[/QUOTE]

As well as being the best player in the world by a mile, Messi works incredibly hard for his team. So, I don't get the point you are making.

If a skillful player doesn't work hard, then they are not any good for Hibs if we want to improve the team.

flash
28-04-2011, 08:29 AM
:

This attitude encapsulates everything thats wrong with the game. I'm just glad you're wrong as anyone watching Lionel last night can testify.[/QUOTE]

Aye cos Messi doesn't work his nackers off right enough. Think before you post.

Aldo
28-04-2011, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't write his epitaph just yet...FWIW I think Riordan has been poor this season and the Riordan of 3 years ago would've buried at least one of these chances he had against Hearts.

I think a really good pre-seasonof hard work and nae bevvying along with an ultilmatum from the manager (of whom he himself speaks highly of) would do the trick, along with the signing of some decent quality for him to play alongside.

But when you hear we're looking at players from Lincoln and Crewe, then another "transitional" season beckons for the Hibs. There's no winners at the club, no winning mentality and mediocrity is the accepted norm from boardroom down the way.
When you think of the players he's played alongside would it excite you playing in that current side?

Malky

I would love deek to stay but his work ethics need to improve IMHO. I personally dont think there is any room for passengers regardless who they are. We are all quick enough to slag off Nish and Miller for not performing well TBH Deek has fallen into this category more often than not, and do we really find guys on hear slagging him as much as the others....no.

I have a question...would you prefer a hard working team who won every week or a team with deek in it that nearly won.

For me no player is bigger than any team (maybe Messi is at the mo) and deek must know this. the name Derek Riordan must prove he is worth a place in the team by working hard and showing a willingness and correct attitude for the TEAM and not for himself.

If he goes...he goes but if he stays I want him to realise that its not just about him but the team and he needs to dig deep and prove his worth.

Rant over

Dr Jimmy
28-04-2011, 09:30 AM

:top marksThat is it in a nutshell for me and until that mentality changes we will continue to drift along, regardless of who stays and who goes.

ScottB
28-04-2011, 11:30 AM
:top marksThat is it in a nutshell for me and until that mentality changes we will continue to drift along, regardless of who stays and who goes.

Does Deek have a winning mentality?

I get the point, but I don't see him as any different to the other lazy wage grabbers we need rid of in that respect. He is a senior player, possibly the top wage earner and at least had a large amount of natural talent, exactly the sort of player who should be leading from the front and setting an example. He doesn't do that.

Captain Trips
28-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Unfortunatly we have a whole host of players who can leave whom have done very little in their time here. DR has had by his own standards a poor season but in reality so have 90% of the players.

Wether it is right or wrong DR has played well a hell of a lot in the past and contributed in many matches, there are lots of players leaving who never managed close to that or any real form therefor I can only have the opinion they are not very good players. If DR was 34,35 I would say let him go but he IMO has shown ability not only in flashes but over a fair amount of games, he is still at a good age and I think worth a gamble on getting that form back.

So I am suggesting he stays based on memory and in hope we see it all again.

Prawn Sandwich
29-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Daily Express saying that he has rejected deal on much reduced terms and he is on his way out.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/243616/Derek-Riordan-leaving-Hibernian

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Daily Express saying that he has rejected deal on much reduced terms and he is on his way out.

If true, I wonder how big a pay cut he was asked to take? CC obviously not convinced that he's worth more from what he's seen so far, can't really argue with that TBH.

hibiedude
29-04-2011, 08:14 AM

If true then its our loss- as said R01rdan will move and do well and I wish the guy all the best.

truehibernian
29-04-2011, 08:52 AM
If true then its our loss- as said R01rdan will move and do well and I wish the guy all the best.

I honestly believe it will be the team's gain next season. Has bags of natural talent but for me we didn't see anywhere near his best this season. He has regressed IMHO and albeit we may add players with less natural ability, we will add youth, hunger, desire and better attitude......and hopefully a couple with good skills too.

SteveHFC
29-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the memories Derek.

Baader
29-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Will be sad to see him leave. Hibs best natural goal scorer for decades IMO.

Just don't let him go to a rival club - he'll knock them in against in for sure. It's the Hibs way...

BSEJVT
29-04-2011, 09:49 AM
I honestly believe it will be the team's gain next season. Has bags of natural talent but for me we didn't see anywhere near his best this season. He has regressed IMHO and albeit we may add players with less natural ability, we will add youth, hunger, desire and better attitude......and hopefully a couple with good skills too.

Tin hat firmly on

I absolutely loved Derek Riordan, he is the last player left at ER with the ability to do something I cannot.

If it were the case that he were simply off form, it would be a no brainer for me to extend his deal.

IMO he is not simply off form.

He has lost any semblance of pace, or speed of thought that used to mask his lack of pace, his decision making is now poor and given the choice of playing for the team or himself now chooses the latter.

He just about never tries to take anybody on and if he does is successful less than once in 10 goes

He looks to me like a guy who knows he is losing it and has started snatching at half chances he would have scored in his sleep (several v Jambos as an example)

IMO his decline is terminal and irreversible.

On that basis, much as it pains me, we cannot afford to push the boat out for him to the extent we would previously.

I wouldnt have been that unhappy to see him re-sign on much reduced terms for that 3 in 10 chance I am mistaken.

Thanks for the memories Derek if this is the end, you scored some very special goals for us for which I will always be very grateful and will always remember the top of his form Derek Riordan as a special talent.

Andy74
29-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Will be sad to see him leave. Hibs best natural goal scorer for decades IMO.

Just don't let him go to a rival club - he'll knock them in against in for sure. It's the Hibs way...

Stokes was a more natural goalscorer.

lyonhibs
29-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Hard work will beat talent when talent doesn't work hard.

:agree::agree: nail on head.

As I and others have mentioned, Deeks hasn't just "lost form", he's simply not as good as he used to be.

.Sean.
29-04-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm not saying for a minute we'll sign O'Connor, but if Riordan leaves and GOC is brought in i'd be made up.

Frogga
29-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Although I'm sad that he's probably leaving I think we could get just as good a player (based on his performances over the past few months) for the wages he's on.

jdships
29-04-2011, 10:34 AM
:agree::agree: nail on head.

As I and others have mentioned, Deeks hasn't just "lost form", he's simply not as [[B]/B]good as he used to be.

Says ir all for me :thumbsup:
Let's just move on
There surely must be life after Deeks :greengrin

whiskyhibby
29-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Tin hat firmly on

I absolutely loved Derek Riordan, he is the last player left at ER with the ability to do something I cannot.

If it were the case that he were simply off form, it would be a no brainer for me to extend his deal.

He has lost any semblance of pace, or speed of thought that used to mask his lack of pace, his decision making is now poor and given the choice of playing for the team or himself now chooses the latter.

He just about never tries to take anybody on and if he does is successful less than once in 10 goes

He looks to me like a guy who knows he is losing it and has started snatching at half chances he would have scored in his sleep (several v Jambos as an example)

On that basis, much as it pains me, we cannot afford to push the boat out for him to the extent we would previously.

I wouldnt have been that unhappy to see him re-sign on much reduced terms for that 3 in 10 chance I am mistaken.

Thanks for the memories Derek if this is the end, you scored some very special goals for us for which I will always be very grateful and will always remember the top of his form Derek Riordan as a special talent.

As much as it pains me I have to agree 100% with the comments above.......

Gatecrasher
29-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Tin hat firmly on

Agree with what you say

RickyS
29-04-2011, 11:45 PM
has Deeks departure been confirmed anywhere? or is it still just speculation?

.Sean.
30-04-2011, 03:03 AM
has Deeks departure been confirmed anywhere? or is it still just speculation?Speculation as of yet but he's on the bench against St J, as is Miller.

Hibernia Na Eir
30-04-2011, 09:27 AM

totally agree

Houchy
30-04-2011, 10:03 AM

He gets a flipping nose bleed if he goes west of Haymarket:greengrin

Houchy
30-04-2011, 10:11 AM

Just shows that he holds himself in higher regards than anyone else at the moment. Surely Hibs have that system that measures stats ie ground covered, shots on/off target passes attempted, passes completed etc and compare them with last year then they can sit down and say "That's why you're only getting offered X amount this year compared to last year".

Jim44
30-04-2011, 10:27 AM
It's a sad fact that he is past his best and will probably move on (probably not too far geographically). However he is a professional footballer who will want to play at as high a level as he can and get as high a wage as possible. I can't envisage much interest from a 'suitable' club and the nightmare scenario is that the Jambos could seize the opportunity for a bit of mischief-making. I'm not 100% certain that he would turn his back on a cynical approach from them.

Hibs90
30-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Speculation as of yet but he's on the bench against St J, as is Miller.

Maybe just giving others a chance?

CRAZYHIBBY
30-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Hearts will try to and sign Deek if he leaves hibs at the end of the season....Jeffries wants him at hearts. Rangers are also interested ......wait and see:agree:

hibiedude
30-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Hearts will try to and sign Deek if he leaves hibs at the end of the season....Jeffries wants him at hearts. Rangers are also interested ......wait and see:agree:

If this was true it's interesting because a player that most on this site have written off is being pursued by bigger clubs than us. (League position only when I mention Hearts) :duck:

I think your correct Hearts will try and sign Derek and it wouldn’t surprise me if Rangers made inquiries.

Golden Bear
30-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Your user name is very appropriate.

:wink:

Jim44
30-04-2011, 12:53 PM
If this was true it's interesting because a player that most on this site have written off is being pursued by bigger clubs than us. (League position only when I mention Hearts) :duck:

I think your correct Hearts will try and sign Derek and it wouldn’t surprise me if Rangers made inquiries.

Maybe this is because these 'bigger clubs' have better squads of players and can afford the luxury of a 'lazy' Riordan type of player. Whereas we are so poor at the moment that we seem to rely on Riordan to pull something out of the bag. He is not doing that for us at the moment but whatever 'better' club he goes to I think he will contribute.

hibiedude
30-04-2011, 01:07 PM
I find it strange Jim for you suggest that any club could afford a lazy player like R01rdan on their books

Reading todays evening news discussions regarding new contracts with players like Deeks, Liam Millar, Dickoh, and Stack are on-going so who knows R01rdan might still be at the club next season.

Jim44
30-04-2011, 01:18 PM
I find it strange Jim for you suggest that any club could afford a lazy player like R01rdan on their books
Reading todays evening news discussions regarding new contracts with players like Deeks, Liam Millar, Dickoh, and Stack are on-going so who knows R01rdan might still be at the club next season.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'strange'. I'm thinking about the likes of Rangers indulging the likes of Kris Boyd etc. Clubs with bigger and better squads may be willing to tolerate a Riordan type of player knowing that goals will come. That's all.:dunno:

hibiedude
30-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'strange'. I'm thinking about the likes of Rangers indulging the likes of Kris Boyd etc. Clubs with bigger and better squads may be willing to tolerate a Riordan type of player knowing that goals will come. That's all.:dunno:

Sorry I misread your meaning- Boyd is perfect examples were laziness was tolerated because he kept finishing top goal scorer at Rangers.

But Deeks last 2 seasons which by his own standards have been very poor and Calderwood’s clear the dead wood policy which is now in full swing might see R01rdan get back to form when the new players come in- that’s why I would give Deeks another season at the club.

Dirkster23
30-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Sorry I misread your meaning- Boyd is perfect examples were laziness was tolerated because he kept finishing top goal scorer at Rangers.

But Deeks last 2 seasons which by his own standards have been very poor and Calderwood’s clear the dead wood policy which is now in full swing might see R01rdan get back to form when the new players come in- that’s why I would give Deeks another season at the club.

Do you think he'd be willing to sign a one year deal?

hibsbollah
30-04-2011, 03:07 PM
I cant see him staying in scotland. Id doubt the huns or celtc would want him, yams no chance, where else is he going to get the big wages? Itll be lower reaches of the championship or div1.

Dirkster23
30-04-2011, 03:14 PM
I cant see him staying in scotland. Id doubt the huns or celtc would want him, yams no chance, where else is he going to get the big wages? Itll be lower reaches of the championship or div1.

I think your right, don't think he's got the pace to play at a better level.

Alfred E Newman
30-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I think your right, don't think he's got the pace to play at a better level.

Perhaps we are his level :dunno:

Dirkster23
30-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Perhaps we are his level :dunno:

The way the teams playing just now you could be right!

DH1875
30-04-2011, 09:22 PM

In all honestly if the Huns continue to struggle financially I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Ibrox next season.
I know he's a Yam *** but found Alan Prestons comments on the radio the day quite strange. According to him the club haven't even approached Deeks about staying yet alone offered him a new deal. My first thought's were that he's at the wind up but NO one challenged him and quite a few of the other pundits agreed with him.

Removed
30-04-2011, 09:30 PM
According to him the club haven't even approached Deeks about staying yet alone offered him a new deal. My first thought's were that he's at the wind up but NO one challenged him and quite a few of the other pundits agreed with him.

How would they all know enough to pass any sort of comment?

DH1875
30-04-2011, 10:07 PM
How would they all know enough to pass any sort of comment?

They did pass comment though. They all agreed that it was strange and were going on about how difficult it is to find proven goal scorers and how we had one but weren't trying to keep him. They were talking about his scoring record and Preston even had the cheek to say he hopes Deeks scores another goal before he leaves so he becomes the 3rd highest premier league scorer. The thing that concerned me was Craig Paterson's comments. He didn't rubbish Preston's comments and actually agreed with him that it was strange we weren't trying harder to keep him although he did say that the problem was that when Deeks re-signed he was given a sweetener and that any offer would be on reduced terms.
Like I said my first thought was that he's got to be at the wind up and I've got to believe that he was. Put it this way, I'll be very disappointed if there's any truth in it.

Removed
30-04-2011, 10:17 PM
They did pass comment though. They all agreed that it was strange and were going on about how difficult it is to find proven goal scorers and how we had one but weren't trying to keep him. They were talking about his scoring record and Preston even had the cheek to say he hopes Deeks scores another goal before he leaves so he becomes the 3rd highest premier league scorer. The thing that concerned me was Craig Paterson's comments. He didn't rubbish Preston's comments and actually agreed with him that it was strange we weren't trying harder to keep him although he did say that the problem was that when Deeks re-signed he was given a sweetener and that any offer would be on reduced terms.
Like I said my first thought was that he's got to be at the wind up and I've got to believe that he was. Put it this way, I'll be very disappointed if there's any truth in it.

So nobody actually knew enough to challenge Preston, even CP, but how do any of them know we aren't keen to keep him? It's all just speculation and what they don't know they just make up. Most of the radio/tv pundits slaver a load of pish. Preston is the biggest fud of the lot.

Sammy7nil
30-04-2011, 11:16 PM
For all those that hope Deek walks or is not offered a new deal we had a wee glimpse of the future today

ZERO QUALITY No one that can do something different.

BUT HEY WE WILL BRING IN A FEW BATTLERS AND MAYBE WE CAN DRAW WITH SAINTS NEXT YEAR

Beefster
01-05-2011, 06:29 AM
For all those that hope Deek walks or is not offered a new deal we had a wee glimpse of the future today

BUT HEY WE WILL BRING IN A FEW BATTLERS AND MAYBE WE CAN DRAW WITH SAINTS NEXT YEAR

We beat Rangers at Ibrox earlier this season without him. Maybe if he stays and plays next season, we'll get beaten.

Based on his form in 2011, I confidently predict that he would have made absolutely hee-haw difference if he had started yesterday.

lucky
01-05-2011, 06:53 AM
I heard yesterday that he has a major problem in his personal life ( his mum is ill), as such he will not be straying far from Edinburgh.

northgreen24
01-05-2011, 07:30 AM
I see all DR's flaws and the way he huff's and moans all day on the park but I think today was such an abject performance that I really worry about what I am going to watch next season. Talent is rare and that is why people like DR and LM get paid more than others.

At this moment our wage bill will be looking much reduced but as others have said I dont go to watch a balance sheet and when some some say "he is not worth being the top earner" while there is some truth in that we need to pay someone else that kind of money.

but in my opinion that will not be the case and the low crowds with a team of batlers will continue

Dirkster23
01-05-2011, 08:46 AM

Was yesterday any different from the last couple of months when he has been playing?

matty_f
01-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Was yesterday any different from the last couple of months when he has been playing?

Not at all, IMHO. We created as much as we have when Riordan has been playing and we still scored a goal (and were very unlucky not to have had 2 with Vaz Te's shot that hit the post).

Baldy Foghorn
01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Not at all, IMHO. We created as much as we have when Riordan has been playing and we still scored a goal (and were very unlucky not to have had 2 with Vaz Te's shot that hit the post).

Spot on, DR is not the be all and end all

matty_f
01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Spot on, DR is not the be all and end all

The big problem with yesterday is that DR's place was filled by the equally ineffective Vaz Te.:agree:

eastmainsmsh
01-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Who is going to score the goals that Deek gets :confused:

Sodje is scoring for fun just now but how long will that last

Deek when on song is super minus him and goals then what

Hopefully CC can replace him with quality ...Ross MCcormack would be ideal but never in our budget

matty_f
01-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Hopefully CC can replace him with quality ...Ross MCcormack would be ideal but never in our budget

How long will Riordan's current scoring run last?

Deek hasn't been on song at all this season, other than in very fleeting glimpses. An average player like Sodje is performing much better than Riordan has for some time.

Speedway
01-05-2011, 02:03 PM

What goals would they be?

ancient hibee
01-05-2011, 03:42 PM
So nobody actually knew enough to challenge Preston, even CP, but how do any of them know we aren't keen to keep him? It's all just speculation and what they don't know they just make up. Most of the radio/tv pundits slaver a load of pish. Preston is the biggest fud of the lot.
For months now Calderwood has been saying that the club and DR will get together at the end of season and come to a decision.I wonder what it is about that that is so difficult for the pundits to understand?

HibbyAndy
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
What goals would they be?

Think he is referring to the 100 and odd goals.Just a hunch.

mjhibby
01-05-2011, 04:12 PM
I am as frustrated as everybody else with the last few results but we need to put it into perspective.From january onwards ccs job was to keep us up.He has done that and now having told 11 players they can go and negotiating with a few others so its not surprising the performances arent great.Of the team yesterday only Hanlon,booth,palsson and sodje to me will be in the starting line up come the 23rd july assuming deek and miller go.The team that plays in the first game of the season will be vastly different to the team we put out and as such we shouldnt get hung up about it.Yes we still should have got a result but it wont matter a jot should we get off to a flier next season.
My only worry for cc is that he currently will bring in at least 6 to 7 players and if deeks,miller,dickoh and divis go it could be up to 10 new players who will take time to gel.Its obvious to all that we are lacking quality but cc knew that when he took over but was surprised just how poor we were.He made sure with the signings in january we pulled away from the bottom of the league and weve done that.Its all about next season.The signings in the summer will determine season ticket sales and how we do and thats what im looking forward to seeing who comes in.lets wait and see who comes in and how they get on preseason and in the first few games.The last few games in the bottom six are irrelevant and are basically training games.
I know players should give it all but you just need to lookaat well yesterday or inverness to see its not only us not turning up.By all means moan about only taking 1 point from the last 3 games but it would only have moved us up to 7th and its obvious that with loads of guys going and some probably going there will be a bit of uncertainty.Lets get the season over at look forward to see who is at hibs come jul 23rd and then maybe a lot more people will be much more positive.

Removed
01-05-2011, 04:12 PM
For months now Calderwood has been saying that the club and DR will get together at the end of season and come to a decision.I wonder what it is about that that is so difficult for the pundits to understand?

:agree: and some posters on here

Sammy7nil
01-05-2011, 05:20 PM

Yes Hugely different - Yesterday we did not have even hope.

With deek we know he can do and hope he does with the others we know they can't do it.

Dirkster23
01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Yes Hugely different - Yesterday we did not have even hope.

With deek we know he can do and hope he does with the others we know they can't do it.

No hope? Sodje has scored 6 goals in his last 12 games.

When he's playing well, there's nothing better than watching Riordan. Unfortunately, the things we know he can do appear to be happening less and less.

RickyS
01-05-2011, 06:26 PM

i think the difficult part is that normally clubs deal with the best players first, and leave the dross till last.

BEEJ
01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Had that gone in we would have gone on to win.

St J winner - lead up cross / shot could just as easily have been touched over the bar by Divis as on to it. On these finer points matches are won and lost.

Riordans Boots
01-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Think he is referring to the 100 and odd goals.Just a hunch.

Andy - you are correct there mate. The hundred and odd actually is 103 :flag:

HibbyAndy
01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Andy - you are correct there mate. The hundred and odd actually is 103 :flag:

Not many players have banged in that in the Spl :not worth:not worth

Only one Derek Riordan :thumbsup::not worth:thumbsup::not worth

BEEJ
01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Not many players have banged in that in the Spl :not worth:not worth

Only one Derek Riordan :thumbsup::not worth:thumbsup::not worth
It's 103 goals for Hibs including cup games, Europe etc. About 94 in the SPL, as I recall.

But your point still holds. :greengrin

matty_f
01-05-2011, 08:34 PM

St J winner - lead up cross / shot could just as easily have been touched over the bar by Divis as on to it. On these finer points matches are won and lost.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-05-2011, 08:37 PM
i think the difficult part is that normally clubs deal with the best players first, and leave the dross till last.

I think were in a relatively unique position and suspect there will be a massive cull across the football spectrum - in particular in Scotland in response to the recession and cost cuttings really starting to bite in to the public sector.

With this backdrop in mind I can see how the management and board are waiting to see how things settle down before making big money committments such as Deek. You dont want to have just negotiated deals based on the time just before wages were slashed dramatically across the board. Its like ONDigital again...

Sammy7nil
01-05-2011, 09:58 PM
I think were in a relatively unique position and suspect there will be a massive cull across the football spectrum - in particular in Scotland in response to the recession and cost cuttings really starting to bite in to the public sector.

With this backdrop in mind I can see how the management and board are waiting to see how things settle down before making big money committments such as Deek. You dont want to have just negotiated deals based on the time just before wages were slashed dramatically across the board. Its like ONDigital again...

It is the classic chicken and the Egg, not many fans will part with their hard earned cash to watch the DROSS we have endured for 18 months.

So no investment or committment to improve the team by the board will result in attendances Plummeting.

I think the fans have been very patient for over 40 years and other than 3 - 4 seasons in that time Hibs have been Rank average. We are always promised better and then as soon as better arrives it is sold almost immeadiately.

BSEJVT
01-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Slightly off topic, but anyone that thinks that yesterdays performance was remotely acceptable regardless of what CC was trying or not deserves their head examined IMO.

I dont expect us to play like Brazil every week but I do expect 11 guys, any 11 guys who pull on a Hibs shirt to look as though they are trying and that they care.

I didnt see that yesterday.

Didnt CC think that the last 3 games offered Hibs a chance to convince those wavering about renewing their ST's?

It did and I definitely wont be, this seasons Hibs Teams in their various guises are easily the worst I have seen since we got relegated in 1980.

Duffy's team were far far better than this lot or the ones he is emptying.

Of his signings only Sodje can be said to have been an unqualified success and I bet neither CC nor Sodje can believe how well that's worked out!

Pallson - one game doesnt make a player

Scott - An honest trier, but never an SPL player in a million years

Divis - Why is every keeper we sign worse than the last?

Towell - Long throw and em nothing, better than Hart, but then again so am I

Thornhill - Not seen enough to comment

Vaz Te - There may be something there, but since he spends so much time rolling around the deck, whether is a footballer or a break dancer I havent yet decided.

What about the players he inherited?

Booth - No argument that CC has brought him through, but to paraphrase a film, he's not the messiah, he's a boy.

I cant think of any other player who has kicked on substantially under CC's tutelage.

Have we really sunk so low that anyone found yesterday's performance a cause for optimism or acceptable?

I have serious serious concerns about where CC will take us and quite honestly cant face the thought of another 20 games of watching total dross, players who dont give a toss and moaning my tits off about completely unfathomable selctions, tactics and substitutions.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-05-2011, 10:10 PM
It is the classic chicken and the Egg, not many fans will part with their hard earned cash to watch the DROSS we have endured for 18 months.

So no investment or committment to improve the team by the board will result in attendances Plummeting.

I think the fans have been very patient for over 40 years and other than 3 - 4 seasons in that time Hibs have been Rank average. We are always promised better and then as soon as better arrives it is sold almost immeadiately.

I agree. It is perplexing to say the least to see the lack of return given the investment. To be fair we also had the non-trivial spectre of the Mercer bid and collapse of OnDigital deal - and SKY to contend with.

However I think the perpetual "work in progress" the "transition period" the selling of top players when we are told we do not need to sell is has tasted a patient support to its limits.

Maybe we feel it sharper in these difficult times - we yearn for something to cheer on but have not had that in a long while. I hope CC and the board can work something out. If this is not our hour of need its approaching it we certainly need a lift. Hopefully this is just a hangover from the tinkerings of Yogi.

HibbyAndy
01-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Slightly off topic, but anyone that thinks that yesterdays performance was remotely acceptable regardless of what CC was trying or not deserves their head examined IMO.

I dont expect us to play like Brazil every week but I do expect 11 guys, any 11 guys who pull on a Hibs shirt to look as though they are trying and that they care.

Didnt CC think that the last 3 games offered Hibs a chance to convince those wavering about renewing their ST's?

It did and I definitely wont be, this seasons Hibs Teams in their various guises are easily the worst I have seen since we got relegated in 1980.

Of his signings only Sodje can be said to have been an unqualified success and I bet neither CC nor Sodje can believe how well that's worked out!

Vaz Te - There may be something there, but since he spends so much time rolling around the deck, whether is a footballer or a break dancer I havent yet decided.

Booth - No argument that CC has brought him through, but to paraphrase a film, he's not the messiah, he's a boy.

I cant think of any other player who has kicked on substantially under CC's tutelage.

Have we really sunk so low that anyone found yesterday's performance a cause for optimism or acceptable?

I have serious serious concerns about where CC will take us and quite honestly cant face the thought of another 20 games of watching total dross, players who dont give a toss and moaning my tits off about completely unfathomable selctions, tactics and substitutions.

Excellent summary IMO.

I think Pallson and Towell get way more credit than they both actually deserve...I think both have the ability to be decent footballers and have shown in glimpses why they have that potential.But to many on here cream over Pallson and how good he actually is..Consistency and doing it week in and week out is pivotal.

Towell. Id sign him up.But again some posters make out he is way better than he actually is, He is doing 'Just fine' IMO...But lets not get carried away.

Vaz te..Not for me.

Divis. No.

Scott. No.. ( Just cause he looks physical doesnt mean he is).

All about opinions..But some are chugging over certain players abilities on here that i just dont see...Hibs are in a bad way.Investment needed in the team in the sumer or 7K crowds will be the norm.

Hate having a dig at players but im sick of the hysteria on here regarding certain players and how good they are when in actuall fact they are plain pish.

Sammy7nil
01-05-2011, 10:42 PM

I totally agree :agree:

It must be an age thing :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

matty_f
01-05-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure why Divis is getting written off already. :confused: Don't think he could do much about the goals yesterday and didn't seem to do too much wrong. :dunno:

NOLA
02-05-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm not sure why Divis is getting written off already. :confused: Don't think he could do much about the goals yesterday and didn't seem to do too much wrong. :dunno:

its the :hnet: way.

Beefster
02-05-2011, 07:07 AM

He's played one game, Matty. It's entirely reasonable to write off a keeper after one game in which he didn't do anything major wrong, doncha know?

With the amount of folk claiming that they're not renewing, whinging about the manager and having hee-haw patience with players or squad changes, I sometimes think that we deserve the team that we're suffering through.

IWasThere2016
02-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Excellent summary IMO.

I think Pallson and Towell get way more credit than they both actually deserve...I think both have the ability to be decent footballers and have shown in glimpses why they have that potential.But to many on here cream over Pallson and how good he actually is..Consistency and doing it week in and week out is pivotal.

Towell. Id sign him up.But again some posters make out he is way better than he actually is, He is doing 'Just fine' IMO...But lets not get carried away.

Vaz te..Not for me.

Divis. No.

Scott. No.. ( Just cause he looks physical doesnt mean he is).

All about opinions..But some are chugging over certain players abilities on here that i just dont see...Hibs are in a bad way.Investment needed in the team in the sumer or 7K crowds will be the norm.

Hate having a dig at players but im sick of the hysteria on here regarding certain players and how good they are when in actuall fact they are plain pish.

We don't have the cash, Andy. Its all gone - plus additional debt added - on the East Stand. A brainwave of those who get way more credit than they deserve .. the Board. We'll see what they are made of now as you are correct IMHO - it is a mess.

Still we need to be positive and give CC time to make the necessary changes. I do hope we break with tradition and get the players in early - so they can settle, get to know their colleagues/the club etc and it is not the usual last week/minute of the window signings.

moredun
02-05-2011, 11:40 AM
We don't have the cash, Andy. Its all gone - plus additional debt added - on the East Stand. A brainwave of those who get way more credit than they deserve .. the Board. We'll see what they are made of now as you are correct IMHO - it is a mess.

Still we need to be positive and give CC time to make the necessary changes. I do hope we break with tradition and get the players in early - so they can settle, get to know their colleagues/the club etc and it is not the usual last week/minute of the window signings.

Do you honestly think if we did not build the east stand, that we would be spending more on players?
Sorry mate, you could not be more wrong, our budget for players and wages has nothing to do with infrastructure, it would not have changed one single penny for players if we didn't build it.
So building the stand has not changed the finances for the team at all, no, we are crap regardless.
This budget will grow slightly year on year, but without investment for the team, we will continue to be very mediocre for the forseeable future.
We only spend on players wages a percentage of what we bring in, building the stand was outwith that money, and would never have been spent on the team.
You cannot spend what you do not have, the point being we are losing about £2m a year just now, so who is going to cover these costs?
Major investment is what we need, will we get it? NO!

Someone to come in and invest money into the team is just fantasy, there is no money in the cesspit of scottish football.
RP built the stand as if we did not, we would have been stuck with an inadequate shed for all time, and i speak as an eaststander all my life.
Also built it in the hope of semi-finals and scotland games, inn the hope of making more money.

blackpoolhibs
02-05-2011, 02:15 PM

See how quickly we have gone from being lucky under Hughes to unlucky under Calderwood. :confused: :devil:

cammy1969
02-05-2011, 04:27 PM

for the last 4 months or so hibs have said they will sit down with deeks at the end of the season and see what can be done cc has said this more than once so why would they change there stance

Frogga
02-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Totally agree. In an ideal world we'd have Towell and Palsson on the bench gradually getting experience as they could be very good players given time but aren't that great yet. Thornhill and Scott look very ordinary but the jury will need to wait till next season to sharpen the axe for them or CC.

Out of the current squad the only players who have really convinced me that they have all the right qualities to play for the club are Callum Booth, Mark Brown and Graham Stack.

IberianHibernian
02-05-2011, 10:20 PM
The way the fixtures have worked out and not making top 6 our new signings have played a lot of games against weaker teams in SPL ( other weaker teams in SPL I should say ) . Too soon to judge Divis but Stack and Brown are fine anyway ( we finally have good goalies and rest of team....) . Not greatly impressed by others but Palsson is still young as is Towell ( he looks promising and hope he signs for us - if he`s not signing for us would it not be better to give a young player from Under 19 team his chance now that results are not priority ? ) . Will be surprised if Scott ( any better than predecessors ? ) or Thornhill make their mark ( I`m meaning help make us top 4 and doing well in cups and playing well not present mediocrity ) and Sodje will surely be just another in list of Courier (maybe unfair to name him as he`s proven at Dundee and Hamilton to be a good striker - not all Collins signings were bad ) , Duffy , etc of failed strikers .
Returning to original thread , I`m as disappointed as anyone by Riordan`s lack of form this season and in general since his return from Celtic but what sort of players are going to score for us next season ? Being pessimistic , Sodje will continue good form and score 5 or 6 goals before Christmas and midfielders will grab 3 or 4 between them . Being realistic , the same but we`ll spend a lot in January to sign someone like Nish who`ll also score 6 goals in half a season but have no class . Nasty feeling we`ll become a team with above average goalies and defenders for SPL but with nothing upfront . Lets hope CC`s contacts are as strong as Yogi`s and we can sign a Stokes type striker . And unless CC has 2 or 3 top strikers lined up already , not re signing Riordan can only be justified if he`s got a super offer from elsewhere .

BEEJ
02-05-2011, 10:59 PM
See how quickly we have gone from being lucky under Hughes to unlucky under Calderwood. :confused: :devil:
Oh, don't worry. I agree that we have been and remain utter cr@p this season. :wink: Can't wait for it to end.

Just at times a little rub of the green can move the match in your favour, even when it's not necessarily justified on the balance of play.

Speedway
03-05-2011, 12:28 PM

So you haven't seen enough of Thornhill but 90 minutes of Divis is long enough to pass a verdict?

Who was the last manager where the consensus agreed he had completely fathomable selections, tactics and substitutions?

Gimmie strength.

dangermouse
04-05-2011, 10:52 AM
So you haven't seen enough of Thornhill but 90 minutes of Divis is long enough to pass a verdict?

Who was the last manager where the consensus agreed he had completely fathomable selections, tactics and substitutions?

Gimmie strength.

Exactly! However, I saw Divis against Bohemians and he didn't exactly instil confidence. Thornhill, I believe, will be a huge asset when fit.

Stevie Reid
04-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Exactly! However, I saw Divis against Bohemians and he didn't exactly instil confidence. Thornhill, I believe, will be a huge asset when fit.

After taking a while to get going, I think the side has looked a lot weaker without Thornhill in the last 3 games, looking forward to him hopefully being a very important player for us next season.

I'm pretty sure Kello had a nightmare start at Hearts (was he not hooked at half time in a derby match?), and look at him now. However, I thought Divis looked very shaky overall on Saturday, and wouldn't be at all bothered if he was sent back during the summer.

HibeeMassive
04-05-2011, 11:01 AM

All Divis done against Bohemenians was picked a penalty out of the net?! It was the only time they were in our box, and I think a tad harsh if you expect him to save a penalty..

matty_f
04-05-2011, 11:50 AM

:confused:

All Divis done against Bohemenians was picked a penalty out of the net?! It was the only time they were in our box, and I think a tad harsh if you expect him to save a penalty..

hibs0666
04-05-2011, 11:53 AM

If we had been lucky under Hughes, he would have got us back to the SPL in just one season. :wink:

3pm
04-05-2011, 12:12 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13282216.stm

Gatecrasher
04-05-2011, 12:16 PM

i will have fond memories of Deek but i think now is the time to part from Hibs. I have thought for a long time now we wouldnt be keeping him on and while the "official" word hasn't been confirmed its looking more than likely imo

Hibs90
04-05-2011, 12:18 PM

I don't see no quotes. I smell *****.

dangermouse
04-05-2011, 12:34 PM

His distribution was woeful. He does not fill me with confidence at all and this maybe the case why Stephens kept kicking the ball out for a throw in against STJ rather than pass back to the keeper. This tactic also led to the winning goal.

Maybe he'll improve. :dunno:

Tricla
04-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't see no quotes. I smell *****.

Yeah, the article doesn't seem to have any substance to it. I think he'll be away but I'll await the official word.

Stevie Reid
04-05-2011, 02:37 PM
If it is true then we can thank Deek for all the brilliant memories and look forward to another attacker being brought in on top wages next season.

I remember when Darren Huckerby left Coventry, Gordon Strachan said "Darren was a scorer of great goals - I'm now looking for a great goalscorer". A few years ago I mentioned that Tam McManus was like that in the season he finished as top scorer for us (13 goals I think) under BW - every single one was an absolute peach, no taps ins or simple finishes. Whilst it's always nice to see great goals, I don't think anyone would argue that we've ever missed TM in a Hibs line up.

The same can now be said about Riordan IMO - whilst I can very much understand people's concerns that without him we may not have anyone who can produce the likes of his goals against Killie and Celtic away this season, if we can get someone in (and I definitely believe that we can) who can put in a performance and score and weigh in with assists on a regular basis, I think we'll all be happy.

Time will tell if this decision proves to be correct - but for me, the fact that there is so much apathy about the very real prospect of Riordan leaving tells you all you need to know about how dramatically his form has been lost.

Cocaine&Caviar
04-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Griffiths on loan, or Rooney on a free now please...

Both could form a good partnership with Sodje.

R'Albin
04-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Admins feel free to merge this but I thought this might be worth a thread of its own and I can never be bothered to look at the other Riordan thread(s):greengrin

Manxhibs
04-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Still no quotes......

Centre Hawf
04-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Its official, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13282216.stm

Not overly bothered to be perfectly honest, great talent but inconsistent and more often than not he's lazy. Good luck to him in the future however.

Removed
04-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Its official, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13282216.stm

Not overly bothered to be perfectly honest, great talent but inconsistent and more often than not he's lazy. Good luck to him in the future however.

Journalist is the lazy one imo. It will ONLY be official when it is published on the Hibernian website.

Centre Hawf
04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Journalist is the lazy one imo. It will ONLY be official when it is published on the Hibernian website.

I may have been abit premature when i claim its "Official" but I think ill put him on my list of leavers.

Removed
04-05-2011, 11:22 PM
I may have been abit premature when i claim its "Official" but I think ill put him on my list of leavers.

You can put him wherever you want, it'll make bugger all difference.

See the other report from a 'close source' on the news forum

Centre Hawf
04-05-2011, 11:26 PM
You can put him wherever you want, it'll make bugger all difference.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Report-of-Derek-Riordan39s-departure.6762737.jp

Taking both with a pinch of salt however i wouldn't mind him going like i said. Unless he stays on our terms I.E Lower wage ec.