PDA

View Full Version : Hearts Fan Editing Wikipedia?

Sas_The_Hibby
25-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Browsing this morning, I looked at the Wikipedia entry for 'Football Hooliganism', and was interested to see that there was a specific section on Scotland and a small sub-section on Hibs and Hearts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_hooliganism#Scotland

Did a Hearts fan write the whole section? A couple of examples:

"From the 2000s Hooliganism has declined in Scotland but Aberdeen, Dundee Utility, Celtic, Hibernian, Motherwell, Airdrie, Falkirk and Rangers still have a number of hooligans." No hooligans at Hearts then.

" In european competition the CCS also had clashes with Belgian hooligans and local residents in 1989 and in 1992, in 2005 in the Ukraine against Dnipro hooligans and again when Hibs played Maribor of Slovenia home and away in 2010" Correct me if I'm wrong, but, as far as I'm aware, the Maribor 'troubles' consisted of a skirmish in the Canongate, which turned out to be between rival East Europeans and nothing to do with Hibs. I honestly don't remember what happened against Dnipro, though I know there were some problems in Belgium.

Now I know Hibs Casuals had a reputation, in the 80s, in particular, and that we no doubt still have our own proportion of 'neds', but to read the article you'd think Hearts fans have never so much as dropped a piece of litter!

And yes, I know you shouldn't believe everything you read in Wikipedia! :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
25-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Browsing this morning, I looked at the Wikipedia entry for 'Football Hooliganism', and was interested to see that there was a specific section on Scotland and a small sub-section on Hibs and Hearts.

"From the 2000s Hooliganism has declined in Scotland but Aberdeen, Dundee Utility, Celtic, Hibernian, Motherwell, Airdrie, Falkirk and Rangers still have a number of hooligans." No hooligans at Hearts then.

" In european competition the CCS also had clashes with Belgian hooligans and local residents in 1989 and in 1992, in 2005 in the Ukraine against Dnipro hooligans and again when Hibs played Maribor of Slovenia home and away in 2010" Correct me if I'm wrong, but, as far as I'm aware, the Maribor 'troubles' consisted of a skirmish in the Canongate, which turned out to be between rival East Europeans and nothing to do with Hibs. I honestly don't remember what happened against Dnipro, though I know there were some problems in Belgium.

Now I know Hibs Casuals had a reputation, in the 80s, in particular, and that we no doubt still have our own proportion of 'neds', but to read the article you'd think Hearts fans have never so much as dropped a piece of litter!

And yes, I know you shouldn't believe everything you read in Wikipedia! :greengrin

I'd say it's the opposite - probably written by some Hibs casual (or more likely, some wannabe casual who rarely peeks out from behind his keyboard) trying to talk up minor incidents from recent years.

Sas_The_Hibby
25-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I'd say it's the opposite - probably written by some Hibs casual (or more likely, some wannabe casual who rarely peeks out from behind his keyboard) trying to talk up minor incidents from recent years.

Conspiracy theories - I love them! But you may well be right.

Can we claim to be the 'Big Team', in terms of hooliganism then? :greengrin

R'Albin
26-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I found it quite funny that in the city the police were expecting us to be complete nutters, they had riot fans, dogs, helicopters the whole lot, when really it was just some drunken Scotsman singing and dancing about like idiots:greengrin

cheltenhamhibee
26-04-2011, 09:29 PM

although spending much of my time in Dnipro a wee bit on the p*shed side i dont remember there being any trouble, i recall having a great time with fellow hibbies and locals alike, think there were a few bottles thrown at the coaches on the way to the ground but thats it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jamesie
26-04-2011, 10:37 PM
although spending much of my time in Dnipro a wee bit on the p*shed side i dont remember there being any trouble, i recall having a great time with fellow hibbies and locals alike, think there were a few bottles thrown at the coaches on the way to the ground but thats it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Remember being on an overnight bus from Yalta to Dnipro on the eve of the game and being told there had been bother - unprompted by Hibs fans by all accounts. Didn't see anything myself though.

Hibernia Na Eir
27-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Dont matter who plays who or where, two mobs will always want it out.